She’s Not Going To Make It

Printer-friendly version

She’s Not Going To Make It

She had come into ER at two PM. She lay on the examination table for five hours crying, screaming, begging for help. Finally around nine PM they had done an MRI. She was bleeding internally, it didn’t look good.

“She’s Not Going To Make It.” She was lucid enough to hear the doctor.

“Are you family?”

“Kelly shook her head. “A friend. She called me saying she needed to go to the ER.”

“We want to send her down to the city. She might have a chance with an operation. Otherwise we don’t think she will last through the night. With the storm over us the Medi Flight can’t get off the ground.”

“I’ll drive her down. I can have her there in an hour and half.” Kelly was watching her friend. They had given her a pain med and she had stopped screaming and crying.

“Not a good idea without EM people watching her. We won’t be responsible.”

“Waiting here for the storm to pass isn’t helping.”

The pain med they put in her IV helped and she was listening. She offered her opinion, she was positive trying something was better than doing nothing. “Kelly can drive me.”

“We called for an airplane as the helicopter isn’t flying in this weather.”

The clock was ticking and the time was closing in on one forty in the morning. The ER team loaded her onto a gurney. “You cold?” One of the attendants asked as he noticed she was shaking all over.

“I’m freezing to death.” The drugs kept her from feeling the pain but didn’t block the cold she was feeling.

She was already covered with several blankets. He covered her with two more.

As they wheeled her out to the ambulance it was drizzling. She smiled, “Feels good on my face.”

A short drive to the airport and she was loaded into a Beechcraft turboprop, ambulatory plane. They left the clouds and rain behind almost immediately after takeoff and it was a smooth ride to Wily Post Airport.

An ambulance was waiting. Integris was close to seven miles away and at that time of the morning there wasn’t any traffic. It was a short time later they wheeled her into Integris.

The examinations and questions started as the staff quizzed the ambulance crew how she did on the flight. She was calm and carried on a short conversation. She seemed to be resting easily.

Then the Dr. questioned her. “Where do you hurt?”

She motioned all the way across her stomach from side to side and then just below her belly up to her breasts. “All of it hurts.”

“On a scale of one to ten how bad is it?”

“About a six or eight now. Before they gave me something for the pain it was a twenty.”

“I’m not going to give you any more pain medicine right now. They need blood samples and I want an MRI. Do you know what that is?”

“Yes.”

Do you have any screws, or surgical attachments in your upper body?”

“No.”

“Okay, blood first and then we will stick you in the tube and see what’s going on.”

Thirty minutes later the doctor was back after she had been scanned. “We are going to put a marker in your blood and run you through the MRI again.”

“Okay.” She had no idea what they found or didn’t find but she was beginning to seriously hurt again.

Another technician came in with a machine. “Sweetie, I’m going to do an ultra sound.”

“Okay.”

Thirty minutes later she was closing up her equipment. “How you doing?’

“I’m really starting to hurt again.”

“The nurse will be in and take you up to ICU. They will fix you up once they get you settled in.”

“Okay.”

Forty minute later she was in a bed in ICU and a nurse was inserting a needle into a vain and then taped it down. She hung up two bags to the intravenous tree. “You should start feeling a little better shortly. We are going to fill you full of antibiotics. Are you warm enough? When you came in you had six blankets on you?”

“I’m cold.” She had a sheet and a blanket covering her.

“I’ll bring a couple more blankets.” The nurse left and within minutes was back with two warm blankets.

“Better?”

“Oh yes, thank you.” She was starting to get warm again as the warmth from the blankets soaked in.

“Okay, you rest and get well.” The nurse put the control pad in her bed with her. “The call button is the big one at the top.”

“Thanks.”

The next day the lady found she was on a water diet only. She also found out she had pancreatitis. And what she had was nothing similar to what is described in the medical journals. The doctors asked her the muti questions normally associated with pancreatitis. Did she smoke, did she drink, had she been partying excessively, along with dozens of other questions which are normally associated with pancreatitis. She didn’t do any of those thing. They were stumped as pancreatitis doesn’t spontaneously happen. There is always a cause leading up to the reason it happens. Maybe an infection from her appendix? They asked if she would consent to an operation and removal of her appendix?

“Is it infected or diseased?” She responded.

“No.” Was their answer.

“I’m not giving up a healthy appendix.”

The next day she was subject to another ultra sound as the doctors were hoping to find what caused the pancreatitis as there is always a cause.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” She asked the technician as she was being scanned.

“Twins, a boy and a girl.” The tech responded with a grin.

“Find anything?”

“I’m not supposed to say anything to the patient as the doctors do that after they look at the scans. Besides your pancreas still has some infection, you look good. I didn’t say that.”

“Thanks, I won’t tell and I’ll look a little pleased when the doc tells me.”

“Get well. You’re improving pretty fast. They will probably kick you out of here by Friday.”

“I might get better if I had something to eat besides ice chips and water.”

“They should have told you. A pancreatitis infection means no food.”

“I needed to lose some weight anyway. Thanks.”

By Thursday they allowed me jello and pudding along with some of the nastiest tasting Ensure I had ever tried to swallow. Friday meant another ultra sound before they released me. I asked the Doc about pain pills because it was still there. He asked me where I picked up my prescriptions and I told him Costco. He wrote something in that tablet of his and I “assumed” it was a prescription for pain pills.

Kelly had drove up to pick me up and drive me home. We swung ten miles out of the way to Costco and there wasn’t a prescription for me. We headed home. A hundred and twenty miles later I wanted only one thing. To lay down in bed and stop moving. I was sick and I hurt. Excedrin, Tylenol, Advil wasn’t helping that much. I hurt but damn if I was going back to the hospital and it was around eight O’clock Friday evening. No doctor. I toughed it out over the weekend surviving on milk, pudding, and Excedrin. Anything else hurt my stomach.

Monday I saw my Dr. and she was reluctant to prescribe any pain meds as she hadn’t received the data from Integris and had no experience with pancreitis. She had no idea what would make it better or worse. If Integris was right, the infection was gone but I was still healing.

It took me a week after I was discharged before I could eat Cream of Wheat and or Cream of Rice. Anything besides milk, jello, pudding brought the pain back. For two weeks I was on a soft food diet. Quaker Oats was added to the menu.

Tired, weak, the third day after returning home I needed milk, jello, and the aforementioned cereals. I drove to Walmart, got a handicap cart, got what I need, checked out drove home, and collapsed in bed for a couple hours. Beyond tired, it had been years since I had pushed that hard to finish a job. Another thirty minutes I wouldn’t have made it home. (Walmart is only four miles from me, short drive)

It’s been a month since Kelly drove me to the hospital suffering the worst pain I had ever experienced in my life. I’m still not back where I was before the attack but I’m making progress. Last Thursday I made the trip to OKC VA for an appointment. Collapsed when I got home but I made it. Today I was down at Cordell, (sixty mile round trip) to appear in court as a witness. Did better with that short trip and court was canceled after I arrived so in and out of the court house helped.

A couple of the nurses mentioned to me there is no worse pain than pancreatitis. I’d almost agree with them except Jean died from cancer. I watched helplessly as she slowly slipped away from me. Pancreatitis there is a treatment if caught soon enough and the body isn’t wasted from alcohol, drugs, or smoking. I’ve never done any of those things and I can’t help the doctors if they couldn’t figure out why I had it. Thus I was curable.
Cancer, no matter how clean a life one has lived, no matter how healthy they are, a cure is still up to God, not us mortals. I will love her for all eternity. Came darn close to going home but God decided I needed to hang around a little longer.
I might possibly get the medical bills paid in five or six years, provided I live that long.
I am not asking for donations nor will I accept help from anyone here. All of you are a great bunch of people but most are struggling just to survive. The term “starving artists” applies to so many on this channel.
Hugs People
Barb
Life is a gift. Cherish it until it’s time to return it to the one who made it for you.

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Barb, we need you to make it better

We all know when it looks hopeless, but it isn't over till the fat lady sings and my S.O. hasn't sung a note in years she tells me. :)...

>>> Kay

Day by day a little better

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs Kay D, love you hon, thanks for the encouraging words.
always,
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

*hugs*

Take care of yourself hon. We can't afford a replacement.

Melanie E.

Replacements are a Given

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs Melanie, Bru asked me how things were going? She wasn't asking about the goats. After I told her, she gave me my own personal insanity star. She's such a bitch calling the pot black. I'm guessing I'm like her and impossible to replicate?
I haven't got back to borrowing dresses from everyone yet. Which reminds me Melanie, sweet heart, darling, last year you wore a white knit dress to the BCTS party in Vegas. It covered everything and hid nothing. By the time I got my eyeballs back in my head you disappeared. I wanna borrow even if I don't have the body for it.
Hugs Melanie
Barb
Have fun with life, it's too short to take seriously.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Special hugs, Barb

gillian1968's picture

It sounds very tough, but we’re all pulling for you.

Gillian Cairns

Over the Rough Spots For Sure

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs Gillian, like most who were highly active in life I always bounced back a lot faster than the doctors liked. But farming and livestock doesn't take a break. I only have a few goats, a dog, and a passel of cats. I didn't bounce back from this one. Kelly took care of the critters while I took a time out. Bless her heart, she's a better friend than I deserve.
I'm good, gaining on it every day so thanks Gillian.
Barb
When we look at the last sunset, be sure one can smile and say, I tried my best.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Pancreatitis

I had that a few years ago. From one sufferer to another, you have my sincere sympathy.

Mine was combined with gall stones, so I now have no gall.

Tongue in Cheek

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs Ray, you obviously went with the classic case and decided you needed a reason for pancreatitis. Bet your doctors were pleased as they hate puzzles not in the play book.
Barb
When life hands you lemons, make lemonade

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Rough

Better than Pancreatic Cancer... Get better

Looking on the Bright Side

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs Richie, yes, no matter how bad things could have been worse.
Thanks for the uplift
Barb
Life is a challenge to make us stronger not break us. Make the right choice.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

You know...

You know we love you Barb. Stay with us.

Miss a Migraine when it's gone?

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs QModo, the things we miss when it's no longer there also fit in on the negative side too. Love you hon. Lot of stories posted while I was taking a time out I'm going to backtrack and see what I missed if I can find the time.
Now let's move on to more important things. Stop by and you can entertain the goats while I check around the windows and doors for weather stripping and painting I've put off forever. Days are cooling down, hundred plus heat seems to be behind us. I may end up loading the bed with a dozen cats to stay warm this winter if the price of elec and gas keeps going up. Is it just me or is everyone finding out the whole world wants more of what I seem to have less of. Finances.
Hugs Doll, stay safe, be good
Barb
Life is either success or error. Make more successes than errors.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

As long as it’s Pancreatitis you will get better

Julia Miller's picture

My late partner had pancreatic cancer, and he lived for only a couple of months after the diagnosis. He didn’t want to see the doctor when the pain first started and by the time I finally convinced him to let me take him to Emergency, it was already Stage 4 and had spread to his liver. That was the worst time in my life.

You had to convince him?

BarbieLee's picture

Julia, I'm not sure how to respond other than you nor anyone deserves to watch a loved one die. I can't comprehend you had to talk him into going to emergency. It's impossible to describe the pain I was in as there is nothing to compare it to. Motorcycle accident? Walk in the park even if I was bedridden for a week. Spinal Meningitis? I spent three months dying and lost forty five pounds but nothing like pancreatitis.
I woke up my stomach feeling quizzy. Didn't eat any breakfast but drank a glass of milk. Was feeling a little worse before noon and decided a scrambled egg might settle it. Less than five minutes after eating the egg and drinking a glass of milk I was hugging the China Throne. I thought this life was over and hoping I was right as the pain was unbearable. Hit the button to dial Kelly and said two words. "Help me." The only thing she said was, "I'll be there in fifteen minutes. Hang on." At emergency after the MRI they also didn't think I would make it. I was bleeding internally and several of my organs looked like they had a fuzzy growth covering them.
Was mine that unique and quick from how pancreatitis affects others? I'm graphic about my situation hoping others reading this will understand not all stomach pain comes from bad food. If one doesn't understand what is going on then get help.
Hugs Julia, love you hon.
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it until it's time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl