Pretend Princess - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

IMG-20231212-WA0000.jpg

I left quietly and made my way through the garden and back to the side door. I contemplated whether I should confront him or not.

Should I have gone back in and pretended not to have seen anything? How could we proceed with the plan if he was seeing Charles behind my back?

What the hell was he doing anyway? First of all, he left me to dance with Emily and then he kissed Charles after all he'd said last night. No, I needed to confront him. He was putting me in such a tough spot.

And so I waited for him, right at the door. It took a few minutes for him to emerge from the garden with a worried look on his face.

My blood boiled. I couldn't stop thinking about the two of them pressing their faces together.

'Where is Charles?' I wondered. Probably hanging back to avoid suspicion.

I walked sharply up to him full of determination.

"We need to talk" I said pulling him to another section of the garden that I thought was quiet enough.

When we had gone far enough away, I checked around to make sure it was clear then whispered but in a way that conveyed my anger.

"I saw you"

"What?"

"Don't deny it, I saw you with Charles, what were you thinking?"

"You followed me?"

Really? That was his response?

"I wanted to see if you were okay. You've been acting weird all evening. Kind and loving to me one moment and distant the next"

"Sorry, I've just been dealing with a lot" he said in his defense.

"Is that why you kissed him?"

"I didn't know he was going to kiss me" he insisted "I went there to say goodbye, that's all."

"what do you mean?"

"He's leaving Lenoria"

"He is? When?"

"I don't know, tomorrow, next, all he said is he has to leave and this may be the last time I ever see him so I wanted to say good bye. I really didn't know he was going to kiss me"

"But you let him" Understandably, that fact still annoyed me.

"I'm not going to apologize for not pushing him away. He was my first love and tonight may be the last time we ever see each other"

"Well what about leaving me to dance with Emily" I accused "Do you realise how that made me look?"

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. She came up to me and I couldn't just ignore and embarrass her like that"

I took a breath and tried to calm down. He seemed to behaving a hard time and here I was making it worse.

"I'm sorry..."I said to him. There was a lot of apologizing going around.

"You didn't do anything wrong. I haven't had my head in the game since I saw him but I promise it'll be better tomorrow"

"Okay" I breathed.

"Okay?" His eyes pleaded.

"Okay"

=^..^=

Nick and I composed ourselves before walking back into the building. Horrified, I realised that the Queen was in the middle of her closing speech.

"Being here with all of you has been truly special. Your laughter, your stories, they've made this night unforgettable." she spoke warmly unlike the serious nature of the King's opening speech.

"I want to thank each one of you for being here to celebrate my family. Your warmth and kindness have made this a beautiful evening."

Hand in hand, we made our way to our dinner table that was full again save for Her Majesty. There weren't any more stares than usual so everything seemed okay.

"Where did you go?" King Richard asked as we took our seats.

"Just needed some air" Nick answered for us.

"Is that what the kids are calling it these days?" Theodore retorted.

"Amelia, are you okay?" I heard Princess Sophia ask. My face must have betrayed all that I was feeling.

"Just tired, Your Highness" I answered with a forced smile.

"You may retire then" the King suggested.

The Queen's voice grabbed my attention again "As we say goodbye to this wonderful night, I hope the joy we shared stays with you. Remember these moments, the happiness, and let them brighten your days."

I bowed my head, "I couldn't, Your Majesty. Not while the Queen is speaking"

"Tomorrow is an important day. You have my permission"

"In that case..." I stood and curtsied "Thank you for a wonderful evening"

Nick held my hand from his position on his chair and said, "Let me come with you"

"Please, stay and enjoy the rest of the evening" I leaned in and planted a convincing kiss on his lips. I couldn't help but think about what I'd seen earlier. My lips were sharing his with someone else's. I forced a smile, "I'll see you in the morning"

With that, I began my journey to the grand staircase where the night had began. I was hyper aware of the numerous eyes that watched me and also the Queen's words in the background but I kept walking.

The night hadn't gone according to plan. Far from it. This job was decidedly less fun all of a sudden. I hoped it would atleast pick up when the tour began.

"Miss Beaumont" I heard a voice from behind me just as I made it to the staircase.

"What now?" I muttered annoyed under my breath.

I turned to see Viscount Montague requesting my attention. Couldn't he see that I was trying to get away?

"Viscount" I smiled at him. "How are you?"

"Very good, Miss Beaumont"

"Viscount, if you don't mind, I'm very tired and I have a long day tomorrow"

"I understand, Lenorian balls can be a lot to the uninitiated" He smiled.

Did he really understand? Because he was still talking.

"But this will only take a moment of your time" he came closer "If I'm correct, your family relocated to America several generations ago. I just wanted to inform you that I reached out to the Normandy Beaumonts and they are very excited to meet you. I would be willing to facilitate a meet if you would so choose. It isn't right for a young girl like you to be without family"

I hadn't asked him to do that. What was his play here? The Queen's speech had ended so this conversation had run its course.

"Thank you very much, if I wish to meet them, I will let you know" I bowed slightly to signify the end of our discussion "Now I am afraid I must go. See you later, Viscount"

"Until then, Miss Beaumont"

=^..^=

I struggled to navigate the maze that was the halls of Eclipton and eventually had to ask a guard to escort me. The heels were starting to hurt so I was glad my suffering would soon be at an end.

I had survived my first ball but only barely. How was I going to navigate another year of this?

Atleast I wasn't so worried about Nick anymore. With Charles gone, he could finally get his head in the game. The sooner we achieved our goal of clearing his image, the sooner I could get back to my own life and leave the dresses behind.

I thanked the guard when we arrived at my room and hurried in. I pulled the rope to alert Celeste that I had returned. I couldn't reach the zip at the back of the dress so I was locked into the contraption until she arrived.

My feet were finally free from their heeled prison though so I was thankful for that atleast.

=^..^=

I requested Celeste to remain with me even after my night routine was completed and I lay comfortably in bed. I studied her as she sat at the edge of my bed. Like most of the workers in the castle, she struck me as a bit plain although I thought she would probably make a decently attractive woman with a bit of extra care.

"Tell me about your family" I asked her. I wouldn't be able to sleep anytime soon as it was still relatively early but I also didn't want to be left alone to my thoughts.

"My family, my lady?"

"Yes, where do they live? Do you have siblings?" I sat up. The short skirt of my night gown revealed most of my legs which reminding me that I hadn't worn pants in days.

"I have many brothers and sisters" she told me ".. but I haven't seen them in some time"

"Where are they?" I asked.

"At home, with our parents" Celeste wasn't looking me in the eyes. I wondered if she didn't want to talk about herself or simply didn't enjoy it.

"Why haven't you seen them? Are you not allowed to leave?" I asked concerned.

"I am allowed. I just have many duties so I do not have the time" she explained.

"And your parents? Can't they come here?"

"They can, but they have many estates under their care. They are much too busy"

"Estates?"

"My father is a baron" She told me.

"You're nobility?" I was shocked. Since she was serving me and so diligently, I'd expected her to be, for lack of a better word, a commoner.

"We all are. A commoner would never be allowed to serve closely with the royal family"

I guessed it made sense but it was still strange to me that someone from a respected family albeit low on the ladder would be serving me.

"And you don't mind being my lady in waiting?"

She shook her head. "You are the prince's companion, my lady".

Their system was so strange. They made such a fuss about noble blood but any girl could jump to the front of the line simply by being picked by someone of a higher status.

"But you know I am not really his companion" I clarified "We're just pretending"

"I think the prince holds you specially in his heart. That is enough".

That caused me to smile and blush. Celeste saw this display and smiled as well.

"You love His Highness" she said. I wasn't sure if it was a question or a statement.

"I don't know how I feel. I have never felt anything like this" I figured if I wanted her to open up to me, I should open up to her as well.

"I've never felt attraction to men before." I continued "...now I can't stop thinking about Nick and I get jealous too"

"You enjoy being a woman" she said. Again, was that a question or a statement "You are very good at it"

"Thank you?" I wasn't sure what to think. I had certainly taken to it very quickly. It forced me to consider whether I had always been like this. Were there feelings I had been suppressing?

I didn't like this conversation anymore. I faked a yawn.

"Good night, my lady" Celeste said as she stood.

"Good night" I replied.

Busy day tomorrow.

=^..^=

I woke up refreshed and ready to go just before Celeste knocked on my door. Going to bed early last night had helped tremendously. Today I was finally going to see more of Lenoria and its people. There were also going to be lots of cameras so I had to look my best. I hoped Nick had gotten over whatever that was yesterday.

I smiled brightly at Celeste as she walked in. She had finally relaxed around me which was evident in the relaxed bow she gave me.

"Her Highness Princess Sophia has requested you join her in the garden" Celeste announced.

I had totally forgotten about that. What did she want to talk about with me? Should I have been worried? She seemed friendly enough with me last night but that was also in public?

I decided to just get it over with. How bad could it be anyway?

=^..^=

Turns out nothing could have prepared me for how that conversation went. It started off harmlessly enough.

Celeste had led me behind the castle to an area I hadn't been in yet. I spotted Princess Sophia sitting under a gazebo and noticed she had already started without me.

She'd invited me out for tea but was drinking wine instead. I considered that I may have been a bit overdressed because while I was dressed in a long cottagecore dress and flats, the princess was in sweatpants, a cardigan and slippers. When she saw me and waved me over, I realised it was too late to turn back.

I smiled brightly as I approached hoping to catch her in a good mood. I began to curtsy but she stopped me.

"Take a seat, Amelia" she gestured to the empty seat across from her. She waved away the girl that had been serving her and waited until she was out of earshot and in the castle before continuing, "or do you prefer Morgan when it's just us?"

I tried to keep my composure. It wasn't surprising that she would know. Was she testing me? Seeing how easily I would cling to my old identity?

"Amelia is fine, your highness"

"I should commend you" she spoke again "You're doing a splendid job so far"

"Thank you, your highness" I replied.

"You don't have to say that every time you speak"

"Sorry" I said softly.

"But yes, I wouldn't have ever guessed it if I didn't already know" In one move, she finished the rest of her wine and held her glass to me.

I quickly understood what she wanted. I removed the cork from the almost full bottle of wine on the table and poured into her glass until she asked me to stop.

"Pour yourself a glass" she offered, or was it an order? Still, I obeyed. "Drink" she said as soon as I was done. I obeyed again.

The wine was sweet with a strong cherry flavor and scent.

"You seem to be a natural at being a woman" she continued as soon as the glass left my lips "Do you want to be one permanently?"

Where was this conversation going? Why would she bring me here to talk about that? Was she simply curious about me?

"No I.." I started to answer but my voice trailed off ".. I don't think so"

"So tell me, why are you doing this?"

I knew the answer to that question but still I thought hard before I answered.

"I don't want to work till I'm old and never get to enjoy my life. I want to be able to retire and this seemed like a way to make that happen" I explained.

Whatever she thought about my answer, she kept hidden behind a strong poker face.

"So, money. I can understand that" She said to me. I didn't respond.

"Seven hundred and thirty five thousand euros" she continued after a short pause "How many years do you think that gets you?"

I didn't reply to that either. It seemed like a decent amount of money to me but of course I hadn't thought that far.

"How old are you, Morgan?"

"22" I answered.

"You'll be broke before you turn 30"

She paused again but I wasn't keen to speak yet so I just listened.

"10 million euros. Now that's a sum you retire with" she let out a sly smile. "Are you interested?"

Her face was dead serious. Was she offering me that much? For what?

I nodded.

"Before we proceed, I need to make sure you understand that this conversation stays between us."

I nodded again.

She leaned in and gestured to me to do the same.

"Don't worry, you won't have to do much"

=^..^=

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Hiya, sorry for the short chapter. Traveling for the holidays in a few hours and wanted to get this out before them. Might be the last chapter till the new year but I hope you've enjoyed it so far.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wait, what?

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Intrigue? In Lenoria? Oh, my God, I’m shocked!!!

Emma, this is such a good chapter. I appreciated Amelia’s willingness to confront Nick, as well as her uncomfortable conversation with Celeste, who was able to see both her attraction to Nick and the adjustment in her gender perception. Though, as others have commented, some portion of both may be chemically enhanced!

But the conversation with the eldest of the devil’s brood takes this to another level. What do you want to bet Sophia has a plan to supplant her younger siblings? Hopefully without killing them, but, you know what they say about omelettes and broken eggs. Oh, well, right?

Yikes!!! What’s an honest kid to do?

Emma

Ooh wee

Emma's picture

thank you for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying it. Means so much.

Royal Intrigue

I suspect the Game of Thrones has nothing on the 'nobility' in this country.

Money and secrets

crash's picture

Money and secrets don't mix well. When people of means decide a thing needs doing they tend to be pretty ruthless in getting what they want. Petty commoners like Morgan will be ground up and spit out by the likes of Princess Celeste without her even even considering the consequences.

I'm enjoying this story very much. As always I'm looking forward to reading your next segment.

Ever your fan
Crescenda

aka

Your friend
Crash

Remember the old saying……

D. Eden's picture

Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I’m not surprised that Sophia approached her…….

D. Eden's picture

Based on what we know of the country and the whole batch of royalty. After all, oppression breeds corruption and rebellion - and some times they are one and the same. But what amazes me is the depth of the schemes - wheels within wheels.

Perhaps the only innocents here are Olivia, Amelia, and maybe, just maybe, the Queen?

Poor Amelia is going to need a score card pretty soon so she can keep track of all the players and which side they are on.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

What's Her Angle?

joannebarbarella's picture

I think of the old story:-

Man asks girl if she will sleep with him for a million dollars.
"Yes," she says.
"Will you sleep with me for one dollar?"
"What do you think I am, a common whore?"
"We've already established that. Now we're just arguing about the price."

I'm afraid Amelia is in that position, and Sofia has already indicated her contempt for her by switching to calling her Morgan mid-conversation. These are deep waters and Amelia should have her antennae up.

A twisty tale and very more-ish.

10M €

Uh oh, that's suspicious. You don't pay that kind of money for "You won't have to do much." Usually you'll get that kind of money for doing something extremely illegal. Hmm, either Olivia is power hungry and wants to have a few people made a head shorter so that she can rule (but I didn't get that impression from her) or there's revenge involved (which, BTW, can involve a shortening of heads, too O.O). Of course a head shorter is too obvious. Maybe an accident or food poisoning is more convenient for the "survivors". Or there's simple complete financial ruin involved for the targets (though getting the authentication for that could be difficult). So, I see interesting times in Amelia's future.

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Olivia

I think you mean Princess Sophia who is dangling this.

And yes, now we are talking some serious money.

This is going to put even more stress on Amelia/Morgan if s/he does not want to do what Sophia wants.

The problem is whether she can even turn it down, depending what is being asked Sophia may decide to arrange her death if she does not take the job as now s/he knows too much.

I think I would take my chances in a literal scorpion nest before I would step foot into this place.

Dire Circumstances Indeed

My trust level in those making promises is very low. It would be simply easier to just do murder than part with the money.

Thank you Emma !

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Another lovely chapter with much to intregue us and keep us on edge !
Look forward to reading more when you have the time to post us the next segment.
Have a lovely Christmas and a healthy and happy 2024 !
Hugs&Kudos!!

Suzi

Not sure...

RachelMnM's picture

What to think anymore because there are so many pieces in play. The one I like, the pairing of Nick / Amelia on the roof - feels a long way away now. Everyone is scheming and our newly minted girl is playing up a few leagues. Love the story, have hopes for a life line for Amelia, and wondering where this one is going. Thanks for posting! Great writting!

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...