Kissing Cousins

Printer-friendly version

Kissing Cousins.jpg

The holidays are stressful for any family, but it’s more so when family has become strangers. An emergency takes the Roberts clan home for the holidays, where long held secrets will change their relationship forever.


‘Ca-thunk.’

A large pothole jarred Kyle from an uneasy sleep. A look at his phone showed 5%. Quick math told they’d be driving for at least another hour, and he’d left his charger in the suitcase.

“Shit.”

“Watch your language.”

Kyle didn’t bother responding to his Mom. Drowning his parents out with music had been the one thing keeping him sane the last couple of days. Mile after mile of desert streamed past the car’s window in a long line of nothing. A lot had changed since he’d lived here, but the scenery remained the same.

“… five dead and twenty-one wounded at a club…”

Kyle’s Mom slammed her book shut.

“... legislators met in an emergency session to address the rise of hate crimes against transgender…”

His Mom barked, “Turn off the radio.” Kyle’s dad hit the off button as ordered.

Kyle shouted, “I wanted to hear that!”

His Mother answered, “I don’t.”

Kyle sat with his thoughts until he couldn’t stand it. “They weren’t hurting anyone. It doesn't make sense.”

His Mom quoted from memory, “Deuteronomy 22:5 - A woman shall not wear a man’s apparel, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for whoever does such things is abhorrent to God.”

Kyle quoted a verse of his own. “Judge not lest ye be judged.”

His Mom turned around, “I don’t need your help understanding the Bible.”

Kyle bit his tongue. His mother loved to share opinions, but not so good at listening. She didn’t seek out real truths, even ones staring her in the face.

A look at the mile marker showed forty miles to go.

Moving away from home came with many benefits. Near the top was the easy excuse to miss family functions, but he couldn't hide this year. His boss had been very understanding when he told him about his grandmother’s illness. They’d spent five days celebrating Christmas with his Mom’s family. Now they’d spent the last two driving to see his Dad’s Stepmom for New Year’s.

Kyle asked, “Do you know if Daniel is coming?”

Kyle’s Dad said, “I know Grandma Roberts sent an invitation.”

He could see his Mom glaring through the rear visor. She knew he’d asked the question to annoy her.

*****

“Checking in, sir?”

Kyle placed his credit card on the counter. “Yes.”

“How many keys?”

His Mom and Dad left without saying a word. “One.”

Kyle tried to appear normal as he hurried through the lobby. The room didn’t look fancy, but nicer than most.

His suitcase hit the bed with a thump. He brought scrubs for the drive, clothes to wear in the hotel room, and the rest to get him through the long weekend. If they stayed extra days, he'd need to find a laundromat.

Under the clothes sat a small garment bag. Everything found a place on the counter … lipstick, blush, mascara, eyeshadow, fingernail polish.

Kyle hurried to the bathroom, pulling the silk bra over his head as he went. He didn’t need the bra, but put it on anyway.

The two most important bottles lay hidden at the bottom of the bag. He took two pills out of the first bottle and one pill from the second. The first time he’d taken the pills felt magical, he’d wanted them for so long. Today he felt nothing. A look in the mirror showed an awkward boy staring back.

Loosening the hair tie revealed six months of growth, the change in style receiving plenty of flack from his Mom’s family. A bit of blush. A little eyeshadow. Last came lipstick, a color close to his actual lip color so no one would notice.

The tears started when Kyle crawled under the covers. His therapist taught the importance of listening to his body. His parents could wait.

*****

‘RIIINNNGGG!’ Kyle opened his eyes, half-awake. His phone showed a local number.

“Hello?”

“Your escort arrives in ten minutes.”

“Escort?”

“It’s Becky. Your Dad asked if I’d mind picking you up.”

Kyle checked his phone for messages. Six missed calls. He’d slept for three hours.

“I fell asleep.”

Becky laughed. “Nice excuse. The place is a madhouse.”

“So nothing’s changed?”

“Not a bit.” Becky said, “Meet you out front?”

Kyle jumped out of bed and ran to wash the makeup off his face. ”I’ll see you in ten.”

*****

Kids in big families assume ‘only children’ have it easy, but getting 100% of your parent’s attention isn’t always a good thing. Aunt Linda had four kids – Andrew, Danny, Cindy and Becky.

He recognized the girl with blonde hair when the convertible Ford Mustang pulled up.

“Kyle?” A power ballad blared from the car speakers. A long thin cigarette dangled from her lips.

“Yeah.” He jumped in the car.

“You look different.”

“You too.”

Becky looked like a girl from a magazine. “Do I look better?”

Kyle grinned at his cousin’s ploy for a compliment. “You were twelve when I moved. I’d say you filled out nice.” He tried his best not to stare at his cousin’s tube top.

“Thanks, Kyle.” Becky gave him a practiced smile.

Kyle said, “I like your car.”

“It’s my boyfriend’s car. I have to pick him up from work at six.”

Kyle yawned, “I appreciate the ride.”

“I appreciate the excuse to leave. Everyone’s talking about Grandma behind her back, but no one is saying anything.” Cindy took another drag off her cigarette. “And then there’s Danny. He’s a whole different drama.”

“Danny’s coming?”

“Can you believe he goes by Danielle now?”

“I hadn’t heard.” Kyle said, hoping Becky didn’t hear the quake in his voice. “How’s Grandma doing?”

Becky shrugged as she blew out a cloud of smoke, “Not good. She’s lost all her energy in the last three months. Mom told me the cancer’s spreading faster than expected.”

Kyle saw they’d passed the street to their Grandma’s house. “Where are we going?”

“There’s a bar up the street. You look like you could use a couple of shots.”

Kyle laughed. He suspected Becky needed the shots. “Do I look bad?”

“You look good.” Becky smiled, “A little worn around the edges.”

Kyle nodded, “I had a long drive.”

“I bet.”

*****

The Mustang threw up rocks as Becky sped away. Kyle did his best to regain his bearings, feeling worse after taking up Becky’s offer. His cousin downed two beers. He and Becky’s girlfriends drank twice as much.

A middle-aged woman ran out the front door of his grandmother’s house. “Kyle!”

“Aunt Linda!”

“You've gotten so tall.”

Kyle straightened his stance. “I was fourteen when we moved.”

“You left a cute little boy. You've come back a man.”

Kyle said, “You forgot to say cute.”

Aunt Linda pinched Kyle's cheek, “Did I?”

Kyle sensed his face flush. He’d missed his aunt. He couldn’t remember exactly when he learned this woman and his Dad weren’t brother and sister, but it made sense. She dominated a room with an outgoing personality. His Dad gave off a more cerebral vibe.

“Come here, cutey, and give your old aunt a hug.” The older woman hugged him tight around the ribs, lifting Kyle off the ground.

Aunt Linda said, “I don't see a ring. Got anyone special?”

“Wow, Aunt Linda.”

Aunt Linda gave an innocent look, “What?”

Kyle said, “I figured Grandma would be the first to ask about my love life.”

The mention of Grandma Roberts caused Aunt Linda’s eyes to cloud for a second, “Cindy’s still available.”

Kyle smiled. “I doubt Cindy wants to move halfway across the country.”

His aunt laughed. “She might surprise you.”

“Is she here?”

Aunt Linda nodded, “She’s out back setting up for tomorrow. Andrew’s playing with his kids. I can tell you’ve already spent too much time with Becky.” Kyle noticed his aunt had avoided mentioning one of her children.

Kyle asked, “Is Danny here?”

“Not yet.” His aunt whispered. “Did your Mom tell you about him?”

Kyle nodded, “Do you think Cindy needs my help?”

“Cindy needs someone’s help.”

*****

The long blonde hair made it impossible for Kyle to see the face of the girl standing in the backyard. It had been a while since her last dye job, the final third of her hair showing a natural brunette. Broadened hips emphasized the fifty pounds she’d put on since her and Kyle’s last meeting.

“Cindy?”

“Kyle?”

Cindy's embrace took him off-guard.

He looked down, “You're pregnant?”

“Did you use the same brilliant insight to get into college?” Cindy laughed.

Kyle stared at Cindy's left hand.

Cindy held up her hand. “Yeah … yeah. Knocked up and no ring. About par for the course around here.”

Kyle asked, “Any wedding plans?”

“Nah.” Cindy shook her head. “My idiot boyfriend moved two counties away when I gave him the news.”

Kyle tried to think of a clever response, but couldn’t think of one. Girls in this state didn’t get abortions, even if they had idiot boyfriends.

Cindy said, “You planning to make me an honest woman? After all, you were my first.”

“Kiss.” Kyle corrected, “I was your first kiss.”

Cindy arranged the chairs in a semicircle on the patio, “The girls in our grade were jealous when I told them. Can you imagine the fun we would have had in high school if you’d stuck around?”

Kyle’s face flushed. “Grandma Roberts would have killed us.”

“Nah.” Cindy said, “You always kept me from doing the stupid stuff. I got wild as a teenager.”

Kyle stared at Cindy's belly. “As a teenager?”

“Hey!” Cindy said, “Don't be mean.”

“Sorry.” He watched her turn from a tomboy into a beautiful young girl. Their kiss confused him more than he dared say.

Kyle said, “Your Mom told me Danny decided to come.”

“Yeah…” Cindy looked at her watch, “Should be here soon.”

“You’ve spoken to him?”

“She goes by Danielle. Her proper pronouns are she/her.”

Kyle cursed. “Dammit. You know what I meant.”

“She needs friends. I thought she'd be able to count on you. Pronouns are important.”

“I know. I’m an ally.”

“I hope so.” Cindy gave a fierce look, but her look softened. “It’s funny. I blamed you when clothes in my closet started disappearing.”

“You did?”

Cindy said, “Then you left, and they kept disappearing. It didn’t take long to figure the culprit. I’m surprised you never knew. You two spent a lot of time together.”

Kyle looked at his feet. “Danny had a lot of great comic books. He had fun video games too.”

“She!” Cindy’s face didn’t look forgiving this time.

Kyle said, “Dammit. Sorry.”

“An ally, huh?” Cindy pointed at a large canvas blob in the backyard. “A genius like you should have no trouble putting a tent together.”

Kyle cursed his stupidity. He knew the importance of pronouns. Downing the better part of a six-pack with Becky hadn’t helped his higher motor functions. Cindy disappeared by the time turned around.

*****

As the darkness settled over him, Kyle gave serious thought to taking a nap. A voice called out. “Need some help?”

Kyle crawled from under of the fallen tent. “It appears so.”

“All the money I spent on college…” His Dad laughed. “… and you attach the guide poles backwards.”

“I did?”

“I’ve made the same mistake. Dad bought this tent at army surplus before you were born.” Kyle watched his Dad put parts together with ease. “They don’t make them like this anymore.”

He spent countless nights under this tent. Summers in this part of the country got hot, but the evenings were nice.

His Dad said, “Pull up the edges to let it air out.”

Loud voices sounded from the house. A large woman exited through the back door. She looked nothing like the picture Kyle remembered from the Marine Corps.

“He looks different.” Dammit.

“Yeah.” His Dad nodded, “I remember a different Danny.”

Danny ignored everyone, marching through the group to a spot in the back of Grandma’s property. She stood at least a half a head taller and fifty pounds heavier than Kyle remembered. Tattoos covered both arms, her head displaying an androgynous face framed by long strands of blonde hair. Her skimpy top strained to hold back two large breasts.

Kyle spoke in a slow cadence, “She goes by Danielle now.” He looked at the house and saw his Mom staring out the back window.

His Dad stared at the back fence, “Danielle has created a distraction. It's a good time to visit with your grandmother. She’s been asking for you.”

“I can’t. Cindy asked me to set up the tent.”

“I’ve got this. Go see your grandmother.”

Kyle nodded. He knew an order when he heard it, “Yes, sir.”

*****

The house smelled of food baking in the oven. The smells turned dank as Kyle climbed the stairs. He stopped outside to gather his thoughts.

“Is someone there?”

Kyle opened the door. “It’s me, Grandma.”

“Kyle?” His Grandmother’s smile grew as she put on her glasses.

“Yeah.”

She gave a mischievous grin, “Got a girlfriend?”

“Grandma!”

His grandmother’s smile grew larger, “You knew I’d ask.”

Kyle chuckled, a feeling of warmth spreading throughout his body. "No girlfriend."

His grandmother looked old. She'd always looked old, but now her face had lost its color, her hair had turned white, and yellowed skin stretched over brittle bones.

"You’re young." she said, waving her hand. "Plenty of time." She patted the edge of the bed. "How have you been?”

Kyle sat, careful not to jostle his grandmother. "I'm doing okay. I’m working for an engineering firm."

His grandmother's eyes sparkled. "Your grandpa would've been proud."

Kyle nodded. “I’m sorry I haven’t visited.”

“You’re here now.”

Kyle nodded again, thankful she let him off easy. “I saw Andrew and Becky and Cindy. And … uhhh … I saw Danny.”

His grandmother reached with a frail hand and placed it on Kyle's knee. "Danielle has been through a lot."

“I know.”

"I’m glad she’s here.” His grandmother sighed, her gaze turning distant. “I keep thinking of the day she protected you from those bullies. Do you remember?”

Kyle nodded, “How could I forget?”

“You came home all bloodied and bruised, wearing those superhero capes. You were smiling so much, I didn’t have the heart to yell."

“I remember.” He remembered going to Danny’s room and trying on other outfits.

His grandmother picked up a photo album from her bedside table. “Life changes us all. It pushes us towards the person we should be. Sometimes it’s the choices we make, and sometimes it’s things beyond our control.” His grandmother’s eyes had lost little of their fire. “Have I ever told you the story of how I met your grandfather?”

Kyle nodded. He’d heard it a thousand times. “You met at the county fair.”

“Ha!” His grandmother pointed to a picture in the photo album. “This picture is from the day I married your Aunt Linda’s father.”

The glassy-eyed woman in the picture couldn’t have been more than twenty-years-old. The man next to her looked ten years older.
“You were hot, grandma!”

“I wish I had pictures before I got pregnant.” His grandma pointed at the man next to her. “Pete had a taste for whiskey and a temper to match. I
was lucky his job kept him on the road most of the time. Every time his taillights disappeared, I’d drop Linda off with Mom, head off to a bar, and sleep with any man who’d give me the time of day.”

“Grandma!!!” Kyle shook his head, “I don’t want to hear that.”

His grandma ignored him, “I had fun and looking back my behavior was selfish, dangerous, and a huge disappointment to my Mom. And if I hadn’t done it, you wouldn’t be standing here right now.” His grandmother turned the page to show herself at a different wedding, standing next to a man who looked like Kyle. “I met your grandfather in one of those bars.”

Kyle's eyes widened. “Really?”

His grandmother nodded. "Life is messy. Your grandfather made me feel whole, and I did the same for him. Nothing mattered once we figured out what we wanted. It allowed us to create a family together.”

Kyle stared at the picture. His grandfather died before he’d been born. "Dad told me his Mom abandoned him."

Grandma Roberts gave a wistful smile, “She did, after she caught your grandpa cheating. Pete gave me a divorce.”

Kyle shook his head. “Why are you telling me this?”

His grandmother grabbed Kyle’s hand. “Life sometimes leads us down paths others might condemn and sometimes we do things which cause others pain. But when someone finds their life’s path, they need to seize it, and never apologize. I never did.”

Kyle noticed his grandmother’s eyes focusing on the hallway. Kyle turned to see Danielle filling up most of the door’s frame.

Danielle waved, “Hi, Grandma.” A crimson blush stained her cheeks.

“It’s good to see you, Danielle.” Grandma Roberts patted the bed, “I’m showing Kyle some old pictures. Would you care to join us?”

“I’d like that.”

*****

Twelve pairs of hands joined around the table.

“Would you say grace, Thomas?” Kyle noted the weakness in his grandmother’s voice.

“Of course, Mom.”

The entire group bowed their head in prayer.

“Thank you God for the bounty before us, and thank you for the bonds which bind us. I’m thankful our entire family has been able to come together. We’ve always been stronger together and while I know we face challenges in the coming year, our bonds will see us through. Amen.”

“Can you pass the mashed potatoes?”

Kyle smiled at his Mom as he passed her the bowl. “Sure.” At least they’d gotten past the silent treatment phase.

Cindy piled food high on her plate, oblivious to the stares. Andrew’s wife yelled out the door at her children. Aunt Linda and his Dad told old stories.

In the middle of it all, between helpings of ham and casserole, Kyle found himself looking at his Grandma. She answered with a smile. Around the table, her family kept talking and eating, each trapped in their own self-interest. For this briefest of moments, they’d achieved perfection.

Kyle smiled back.

*****

The women cleared the table. The men headed to the backyard. Andrew played with his kids. Uncle Frank and his Dad inspected the tent.

“It’s going to be awesome. We’ve rented a party house next to the high school.” Becky’s boyfriend looked and sounded exactly as Kyle pictured him.

Kyle shook his head. “I’m tired. We can go later this week.”

Becky stood next to her boyfriend, enjoying a cigarette break. “You can’t stay home on New Year’s Eve! Missy told me she liked you.”

Becky’s boyfriend jabbed Kyle in the ribs, “Missy’s the one with big tits.”

Becky turned on her boyfriend. “Hey!”

Kyle used the distraction. He found Danielle at the back of the property.

“Shouldn’t you be inside with the women?”

“Ha, ha. Very funny.” Danielle looked towards the house, “Going out with the kids?”

Kyle looked towards Becky. Her argument showed no signs of slowing down. “Nah. Not my scene.”

Kyle looked at Danny. It didn’t seem possible this was the same person. They’d read the same comic books. Played video games. They saved up their pennies for the next science fiction movie.

Danielle motioned. “If you’re going to stare, you might as well ask questions.”

“I didn’t…”

Danielle repeated. “Out with it.”

“Are those implants?”

“400ccs of California’s finest saline.”

“Did it hurt?”

Danielle said, “It hurt like hell. I took a week off work, but they doped me up good.”

Kyle couldn’t stop staring. “They look great.”

Danielle said, “I like them.”

Kyle looked back at the crowd. “I’ve been meaning to call.”

“Ten years is a long time.”

Kyle said, “Yeah.”

Danielle looked towards the back patio. “Want to get out of here?” She dangled a set of keys in the air. “I’ve got a rental.”

Kyle nodded. It’d be best to have their conversation without the whole family eavesdropping. “Yeah. Let’s go.”

*****

The rental reeked of Danielle’s perfume.

Kyle breathed in deep. “Where are you taking me?”

“You’ll see.”

Kyle said, “Burying me in a hole in the desert?”

Danielle’s face looked impassive, "When I told my the family, I was sure I'd never hear from them again. I thought you’d call."

“I know. I’m sorry.”

Danielle said, “I forgive you.”

“I don’t deserve it.” Kyle shook his head. “I’m sitting here, scared to death I’m going to slip up and call you Danny by mistake.”

“It’s ok.” Danielle repeated, “Change is a process. My therapist has taught me you’ve got to give people time to change.”

“And if they don’t?”

Danielle smiled, “Fuck ‘em.”

Kyle placed a hand on top of Danielle’s. Danielle intertwined their fingers, then squeezed Kyle’s hand. “Do you remember this place?”

Kyle looked around before realizing where they’d driven. This spot had haunted his dreams for years. “I can’t believe you brought me here.”

Danielle said, “We were so young.” She turned to face him, her lips inviting and yet ready for rejection.

It felt so strange, wanting to kiss someone you’d kissed hundreds of times, and seeing a stranger. Danielle’s lips looked soft and inviting. Their lips met and the rush of memories flowed until it became too much.

Kyle pushed away. “I can’t …”

“You kissed me.” Danielle laughed.

Kyle said, “I need to tell you something.”

“Let me guess.” Danielle smiled. “You still wear women’s clothing?”

Kyle pulled back. “What?”

Danielle wiped a finger across her lips. “You think I don’t know the taste of lipstick?”

“Uhhh?” Kyle put a hand to his mouth. Even through he’d eaten dinner, a thin waxy layer remained. “Did I use too much?”

“Nah.” Danielle said, “The shade isn’t noticeable. The hormones one the other hand…”

Kyle didn’t remember opening the car door. He ran halfway across the parking lot before realizing what he’d done.

Danielle’s voice shouted behind him. “Stop running, Kyle!”

Kyle stopped at the head of the trail, looking into the darkness ahead. Hurried footsteps sounded on pavement behind him.

Danielle said. “Thanks. I’d never catch you in these.”

Kyle saw Danielle wore two-inch block heels. “How’d you know I’m taking hormones?”

“I didn’t. I had a hunch when I saw you tearing up in grandma’s room. And you seemed a bit too interested in my boob job.” Danielle gave a self-satisfied smile.

“This isn’t funny.” Kyle said, sensing the signs of a panic attack, “I keep misgendering you. It’s like my brain won’t see you as a girl. I mean, if I can’t accept you, how the hell can I ever accept myself?”

Danielle’s face softened. She pointed to a nearby bench. “Why are you transitioning?”

“It’s hard to explain.” Kyle felt his shoulders slump as he sat down, “It’s like there’s a girl at my core and I know she’s screaming, but I can’t hear the words. Does that make sense?”

“It makes sense to me.” Danielle pulled the vape from her purse and took a couple of draws. “I grew four inches and put on twenty pounds of muscle after you left. I played on the football team. I joined the Marines right out of high school. The feeling you describe stayed with me through it all.”

Kyle closed his eyes, “I went to a bar with Becky this afternoon, and we had a lot of fun. I’ve always had more fun hanging out with girls. By my fourth beer, I almost felt like one of them. Then I looked in a mirror.”

Danielle said, “I hate girls like Becky. Everything comes so easy. It makes the rest of us feel unworthy.”

Kyle said, “I guess.”

Kyle felt Danielle’s arm around his shoulder. “Internalized transphobia isn’t uncommon, even for girls like us. When you’ve run away from something for so long, it can be hard to stop.”

“I’m fucking scared.” Kyle said.

“I know.” Danielle pulled Kyle close.

*****

“Are you ready?”

“Not yet.”

“It doesn’t need to be perfect. You’re going to miss it.”

Kyle stared in the mirror. He’d done this a thousand times in private. He dressed up for therapist appointments and clubbing with friends, but never felt this nervous.

His hair looked perfect, the makeup flawless, and the dress hugged his body in all the right places. The boys around here teased his effeminate looks growing up. Kyle imagined what they’d say if they saw him now.

“I’m ready.”

Danielle turned to the opened door and gasped. “Amazing! I hate you more than Becky.”

Kyle smiled at the double compliment. “Thanks.”

Danielle held up two medicine bottles. “You seeing a gender therapist to get these?”

Kyle nodded. “A year and a half. Drugs for about three months.”

“Any results?”

Kyle crossed his arms. “My chest is sore.”

“Encouraging.” Danielle asked, “Have you told your parents?”

“What do you think?”

Danielle said, “I waited with mine too. Living in another state makes it easier.”

“Yeah.”

Danielle put her arm around him, “Have you decided on a name?”

“A name?” Kyle shook his head. A cold shiver crawled up his spine.

“Come on. Every girl like us thinks about her new name.”

“Kylee.” The chill turned to warm as Kyle said the words.

“Ugggh … so boring. Why not Katrina or Kathy? You could be Kandi or Kitty, and I’m not even out of the K’s.”

“I like Kylee. She is me. Let’s not pretend you pushed the boundaries with Daniel-le.”

Sounds outside the hotel grew louder and fireworks boomed. The two old friends lay on the bed and counted the seconds together.

“Five – four – three – two – one”

The ball dropped. Kyle rested against Danielle as a familiar song sounded from the television.

‘Should auld acquaintance be forgot…’

Everyone on TV looked happy. How many wore masks to fool people? How many plied themselves with food and booze to make pain go away?. His therapist said happiness took hard work. His grandmother said something similar.

Like most nights, he found himself screaming as he fell through the void. This night, the bottom came as a surprise, stealing his breath and shattering every bone in his body. A figure emerged through a haze of pain. Clouds of wisps formed an indistinct woman. She spoke with a clear voice. “Time to wake up, Kylee.”

*****

Kylee opened her eyes. A look at the TV showed people still celebrating. Danielle lay beside her.

“You’re here?”

“Did you want me to leave?”

"No." Kylee shook her head. “Did I sleep long?”

“Not long.”

Kylee said, “Why don’t you hate me?”

Danielle shrugged. “I expected to hate you.”

Kylee said, “I don’t think I could forgive you if you ghosted me.”

Danielle closed her eyes, “Grandma made me realize something today.”

Kylee asked, “Yeah?”

“Life is too short to hold on to hate."

Kylee nodded, “I don’t think grandma’s got much time left.”

“I know.”

Kylee looked at the TV and back to Danielle. “I’m going to tell my parents tomorrow.”

“Yeah?”

Kylee shrugged, “Aren't you supposed to make a resolution on New Year’s?”

Danielle nodded, “Most people don’t complete it on the first day.”

“I want grandma to know.” Kylee said, her eyes beginning to water, “I want her to see me, the real me. And if I tell her, I have to tell Mom and Dad.” Telling them would make the ride home longer. It might be a good thing.

Danielle asked, “Do you want any help?”

“I can do it on my own.”

Danielle nodded, “I understand.”

Kylee looked at the dresser. “I need help buying new outfits.”

“Now you’re talking.” Danielle said, “We could take Cindy with us. I bet she could use some maternity dresses. God knows we owe her.”

Kylee burst into laughter. Memories of childhood dalliances with Danny echoed in her brain. They’d haunted her for years after her family moved. She’d done all the things everyone expected of her. She’d played sports. She’d dated girls. She’d gone to college. She’d gotten a good job. After each one, she hoped to find the same sense of happiness she and Daniel found in their secret desert hideout, wearing clothing stolen from Cindy’s closet.

“Happy New Year, Danni.”
“Happy New Year, Kylee.”

Kylee hugged Danni tight as their tears began to mix. “I missed you.”

Danielle said, “I missed you too.”

The two old friends lay in each other arms, ignoring the sounds of celebration around them. It didn’t take long for sleep to find them, the first good sleep either had in a long, long time.


o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o

Thanks for reading my story --- You can find similar stories here ---> Sara Keltaine's author page.
up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loved The Chaos

joannebarbarella's picture

Your story nicely conveys the reconciliation of two friends who should never have been parted but for circumstances beyond their control.

Kissing cousins

Columbine's picture

Enjoyed the story but there are a lot of loose ends that could be developed. Hope you will enlarge the story once the competition is over.

the first good sleep either had in a long, long time.

wow. this was poignant, and beautiful. I almost skipped it because of the title (not big on incest). but I'm glad I took the chance. exceptional writing, well done.

DogSig.png

Misgendering

It's way too easy to deadnamed and misgender people you have known all their lives. And that's for people who actually try.

Those who think that being trans is sinful self deception often do it to intentionally hurt those that they should be loving.

Their excuse is that they refuse to support such delusions.

Those who are closest to us have the power to hurt us the most.

Sweet story

Jamie Lee's picture

Grandma is a short lady. Without saying, she knows about Kylee and wants to see her.

Love in that family is conditional, based on everyone conforming to their standards. Break those standards and ugly people appear.

I agree that this story could be expanded. It's missing the beginning of Kyle's journey, why he sees a therapist, why they moved, and the aftermath when he tells his parents.

Otherwise, you've written a real sweet story.

Others have feelings too.