Gaby Book 26 ~ On The Edge ~ Chapter *29*

Printer-friendly version
book 26 print cover_1.jpg
Gaby

Book 26
On The Edge

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2021 Madeline Bell

Seventeen - it's a birthday overshadowed by its predecessor and successor and Gaby's looks set to follow that pattern. There are however big decisions to be made, should she grab life by the horns and experience everything it has to offer or take the more conservative, safer route through life. This volume, the 26th in the Gaby series has all the elements of classic Gaby, bike riding, teenage angst, developing relationships, grist to the mill for our heroine as life in the Ahrtal ticks on.

 

*Chapter 29*
Not the plan

 
There was no sense in fretting over this latest development, unless I need to break cover, I'm a slightly ditzy fashion house mannequin who, at this moment, needs some shut eye if she's going to be able to function in the morning. I touched the bauble hanging from my navel, not the sort of thing a 00 normally wears but as it contains the tracker I'll let it go this time, anyhow, thanks Q. It didn't take long to shuck my clothing and climb into the bed, light out, I was soon in the land of z's.

~~~ɷ~~~

Attracted by the sound of voices and smell of coffee, I made my way to the aft deck where breakfast was apparently being served, Grönberg and Staedtler both sat with bikini clad girls on their laps, the latter clearly a bit uncomfortable with that arrangement. The other girls were filling plates from the buffet similarly attired – why not, even at eight in the morning it was comfortably warm. If anything I felt a bit overdressed even if i was only in my underwear and a bathrobe.

"Good morning Gabrielle,” Edvard greeted, "I trust you slept well.”
"Er fine thanks.”
"Come, join us, I always think that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, after all, you don't know when, or if, you'll get to eat again.”

Was that some sort of threat? Have I been compromised.

"Thank you, a sound philosophy.”

I collected a plate of scrambled egg and thinly sliced salmon and joined the others at the table.

"We've left Crete?”
"Some unexpected business I'm afraid, don't worry, we'll get you back to your Veyron.”
"So where are we?” I queried pouring myself some juice.
He checked his watch, an ostentatious Breitling, "We should be off Tel Aviv in a couple of hours.”
"Israel?”
"Like I said, business.”

It wasn't exactly news to me, Max had woken me a couple of hours ago with not just our position but a change of orders too. Apparently it wasn't going down as it first appeared, the cousins Grimm were the buyers not the sellers, the tech on the drawings what amounted to a miniaturised Rail gun. The worry now that this was up for sale and as intriguing, just who is selling it? My simple intel gathering foray has turned into a full on double O capture/destroy mission.

Staedtler was getting a bit agitated, "Edvard!”
"Oh calm yourself Werner, everything will be fine, don't you think fraulein?”
"I'm sure they will,” I agreed.
"Our business won't take long perhaps Gaby can join these lovelies on the sun deck? I promise that we'll get lunch ashore before heading back to Crete.”
"I feel a bit overdressed for sunbathing.”
"Oh I'm sure the girls can find you something... more suitable, Minah?”
"I have just the thing,” she smirked.

Ot oh, that doesn't sound so good.

"Well that's that decided, Armand, please look after the ladies, Werner, come, our other guests will be arriving shortly.”

The two men departed leaving me alone with Minah and her 'friends' oh, and our minder Armand.

~~~ɷ~~~

"This should fit you,” Minah grinned.
I looked at the scraps of cloth she handed to me, "Not much of it.”
"It does its job.”
"Er thanks for the loan.”
"My pleasure,” she smirked.

There is swimwear and then there is 'swimwear', the former you might use for actually swimming or at least getting wet, the latter is more akin to lingerie, what I was now wearing, almost, was definitely in the latter category. Don't get the wrong idea, I look good in a bikini and unlike those wraithlike sticks modeling on the worlds catwalks, I can actually get a tan, no lines of course. To say I felt exposed would be putting it mildly, the top covered just about enough but the matching pants, well they'd be blushing on Copacobana, its a good job I got a Brazilian last week.
 

By the time I reached the sun deck, above the bridge, Tel Aviv was visible through the haze, between the Limoncella and the coast, what looked like the yachts tender was bouncing across the blue waters of the Med.

"You'll see that closer later,” Minah stated, "Get that wrap off, these rays don't wait for anyone.”

One thing i've learnt modelling clothes – well and working for Six, is to not show my emotions, internally I was thinking that my mother would disown me if she saw me, on the outside I put on a smile and casually dropped my robe, at least I still have my sunglasses. I took a glass of whatever it was that stood on the table, hmm, margarita, bit early, but when in Rome, then made myself comfortable on one of the recliners. From this vantage I could see the coast, the approaching speed boat and Armand effectively blocking the stairway to the rest of the vessel.

~~~ɷ~~~

The sunglasses and a magazine provided cover for my thoughts, thoughts on how to solve this conundrum, made no easier by what I wasn't wearing. Act too soon and half the players escape, too late, ditto, no, timing is everything, a plan was forming in the old grey matter, is it a good plan? Well only time will tell.

Of course, my plan was blown out of the water moments later, almost literally. I'd assumed that the 'guests' would be arriving on the speed boat, not on the stonking great submarine that rose from the water just metres from the Limoncella. Well that answered one question, if the small white and green flag next to the Middle Eastern script on the turret was anything to go by, its the Pakistani's selling tech – a new world order is certainly emerging.

My fellow sunbathers paid the arrival scant notice, that seemed like a good idea to me, a couple of men in a speedboat is one thing, a fully crewed nuclear submarine is another matter! I've still got a mission to complete of course but maybe I need a different approach, a bigger diversion for sure.

~~~ɷ~~~

"Armand,” I mooched, making my way to where our 'guard' was stationed by the stairs, "I need to use the little girls room, I'm afraid that Avocado has gone straight through me.”

Okay, I'm not being subtle here, quite graphic in fact but I needed to move things along.

"Mr Grönberg would prefer that you stay up here.”
"I'm sure he wouldn't want one of his guests embarrased by what is becoming quite imminent, let alone having to clean the deck afterwards.”
"Armand, stop being a dick, let her go, or I think I know who'll be clearing the mess,” Minah suggested from under the roofed area, hmm, an ally of sorts.
The cogs were whirring but he came to a decision, "The rest of you, stay here, you,” he addressed me, "Come with me.”

Well its not the best outcome but I can work with it. I started down the stairs, Armand at my heel, all ten centimetres of them.

"This way,” whilst I would've gone straight through the salon, he steered me instead along the port side companionway, hmm, what am I not supposed to see?

I thought we'd go directly into the wheelhouse but instead he took me all the way around to starboard before entering, neatly avoiding the salon's interior door.

"Don't be all day.”
"These things have their own timetable,” I pointed out as I slipped into the confines of the toilet.
"Hmmph!”
 

I did make use of the facilities, just a wee, well as Mum always says, you don't know when the next opportunity will be. I readjusted the tiny thong, I mean, who designs this stuff, Monsieur Coupárd would have caniptions, but I digress, 'dressed' I set about my diversion.

"How much longer?” Armand demanded from beyond the door.
"Not much,” I called back, "Just cleaning up.”

I clipped the covers back over the valise screws, counted to ten and turned on the faucet.
"Aargh!”

I flung the door open and leapt through ahead of a roiling cloud of steam.

"What the...” Armand managed before stepping towards the door.

He didn't get beyond that, the fire extinguisher made short work of rendering him unconscious. Of course, the noise attracted attention in very short order, the Captain and Mate both arriving from the wheelhouse in seconds.

"What happened?”
"I turned on the tap and it just exploded and then Armand tripped and hit his head,” I got out in a semi hysterical garble – that time at RADA has come in useful a few times over the years.
"Davis, get someone up here to sort this, now!”
"Yes Captain.”

The Mate dived back into the wheelhouse, the Captain stooped to recover the comatose Armand and I slipped downstairs to the main deck, momentarially forgotten.

~~~ɷ~~~

I paused by the lower salon's double door entry.

"A pleasure doing business with you Mr Grönberg, Herr Staedtler.”
"And with you Captain.”

Damn, they've already completed the deal, oh well. I slipped my heels off and wiggled inside.

"Edvard, how much longer, you said we could go to lunch.”

The arrival of an almost naked woman in their midst had a devasting effect, vis all eyes in the room focused on me. I did a quick count, Staedtler, Grönberg, two of the crew brandishing sub machine guns, the Pakistani Captain and four clearly armed ratings. I've had worse odds but i've usually had more firepower than a G string and a pair of sandals.

Time seemed to pass in slow motion, tick...tick...tick. I took in a deep breath to calm myself before my internal soundtrack burst into life.

'She keeps her Moet et Chandon
In her pretty cabinet
"Let them eat cake", she says
Just like Marie Antoinette
A built-in remedy
For Khrushchev and Kennedy
At anytime an invitation
You can't decline'

'She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime'

I burst into action, the spell broken as I grabbed the Armorlite case on the table, swinging it around to take out the Captain.

"Get her!” Grönberg yelled.
"Alive,” Staedtler added making a grab toward me.

I needed to move things along – and quickly. Luckily for me a fifty kilo woman in a bikini can move around a lot easier than ninety kilo men encumbered with firepower in a fairly confined space. A well placed foot reduced one of the sailors ability to function which also furnished me with a ballistic weapon.

The seeds of confusion were sown, the naval types weren't going for me, but rather for my erstwhile host, they seemed to think this was some sort of double cross.

"Who are you?” Staedtler spat as I relieved him of a pistol by dint of breaking his wrist with another deft kick.
I swung the case, "Bond, Gaby Bond, licensed to kill.”

Well that was another one down but I really need to get out of here. My pursuers were regrouping, I launched my sandals at them, no one likes a stiletto in the face afterall. It was enough to give me the space to get back out into the yachts central stairwell just in time to meet the mate and Captain descending from the the wheelhouse.

"Stop her!” Grönberg ordered.

Hmm, rock, hardplace. Before I could act, the newcomers tumbled forward followed by a fire extinguisher, huh?

"Get out of here, go!” Minah told me with a smirk.

There was no time to exchange pleasantries, I followed the advice and headed outside. Reminder to self, when I design my own yacht, put stairs inside to reach the jacuzzi and tender. I reached the rear of the salon just as some bright spark shot the panoramic window out of the dining room, it was pretty spectacular, not that I stopped to watch.

Down to the aft deck then more steps to the docking bay.

"What's going on?” the rating asked as I appeared in front of him.
"Doublecross, they've killed your Captain.”
"You really should get some clothes on miss.”

Tell me about it. He headed up, I ran around to the 'boathouse', pausing only to dog the door behind me. Well so far, so good I guess. Of course, the powerboat was out already, the hull door conveniently open and there, my means of escape but before that, I need to disable the Limoncella.

I wasn't too keen on remaining barefoot but I spotted some deck shoes on top of a locker, okay, a bit big but better than nothing. Outside there was sporadic gunfire, time really is of the essence, I opened the engine room door and did the quickest sabotage I could, a couple of rounds into the computerised control unit. The door wasn't going to keep them out forever, time to make serious tracks, one more job though.

~~~ɷ~~~

I hit the starter, the jet ski burst into life, a twist of the accelerator and I shot out into the open, the whirring of the Railgun charging rising all the time. Automatic fire sprayed the waters around me as I kinked past the submarine, some of which was a bit close for comfort.

Ziiinnnnggg – Boom!

There was a bright flash then a wall of percussion overtook me, nearly unseating me from my ride. I looked behind, the conning tower of the submarine was now but a ragged stump, it might still be afloat but it certainly won't be diving anytime soon. Okay, I'm off the yacht, what now?

More gunfire reminded me that I wasn't out of the woods yet, that damned powerboat was heading towards me at full tilt. The shore, Tel Aviv, its my best chance. First lets see about that powerboat, I made a sharp one eighty back towards the wasps nest i've created.

Someone in the pursuing boat was either a good shot or very lucky, despite my twisting course a single round nicked the jetskis fuel tank, a second lucky strike and I'll be toast. Okay, switch to plan, er, C. I took aim and hit the throttle, the bow of the smouldering sub providing a nice launch pad, the 'ski became airborn as did the powerboat just metres behind.

The difference was that I knew what was going to happen next, I leapt clear as the jetski descended into the remains of the conning tower, the powerboat looked set to clear the carnage except it was caught in a gout of flame from the exploding impact below. I bobbed about a bit as wreckage rained from the sky then set off for the shore about a mile away.

~~~ɷ~~~

Beep, beep, beep, beeep!

"There you are Bond!”

I tilted my sunglasses to see Max doing a very good impression of 'an Englishman abroad', rolled up trousers, crumpled shirt, he was just missing the knotted hanky. It was almost comical, around him the beach was full of semi naked women, mothers, fathers, children, all enjoying the Mediterranean sunshine.

"Max., how'd you find me?”
 
Maddy Bell © 22.04.2021

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, it looks like Gaby's

Well, it looks like Gaby's cycle days are over, because Q transported her into an alternate timeline. But why use such a simple thing like a railgun? I would have expected things like a Warp bomb, a trilithium torpedo or a portal weapon. Maybe even a transporter to a lost Borg cube. ;-)

But thx for another nice chapter^^