A New Style of Education - Year Five - Part 11

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education - Year Five

by Karen Page

Part 11

Hayfield Music School
picture created using DALL-E


Part 11
Wednesday 10th March 2010 (continued)

Eugene was back at the ward, and Ben was with Eugene's parents at his bedside. The number of bedside visitors normally would be two people only, but since it was a paediatric ward, a child was allowed with two adults.

This left David and Hilda in the waiting room. They weren't alone, as there were other families there, waiting on their children. But they were able to have some conversation.

"How much can you tell me?" asked David, leaning towards Hilda so they could talk in hushed voices. He'd learnt over the years at the school that sometimes people had secrets. Some were personal secrets like what Jill had gone through before joining the school. Some were school secrets like the Beta program. This seemed like a different type of secret.

"Not much. Yvonne wants to talk with you, but she understands you are busy here. She trusts you to know and she trusts you not to say anything, except to Helen."

David nodded and sat back straight. He wanted to ask more but knew now wasn't the time. There had been no indication that even Mr Hobson or Mr Taylor knew, but they could be keeping things to themselves. This would be something he kept to just between him and Helen until they knew more. Currently there didn't seem to be any danger to anybody.

After about an hour, Ben came into the room, and sat next to David. "How is he?"

"Poorly. His speech is a bit slurred, but he knew who I am and who his parents are. Depending on how he is, they will be performing some mobility tests on him tomorrow."

"That sounds good," said Hilda.

"I thought it would be good for him to spend some time with just his parents. He is so much better than he was last night."

That wasn't a high bar to pass, thought David. "I'm glad to hear it."

Hilda got up and slipped out of the room, leaving David and Ben in the corner of the waiting room alone. There were others in the room, but they were at the other side, chatting quietly to each other.

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Stay so calm. Thinking back to last night, you were so calm. You came in and helped me. Yet when you saw Eugene so ill, you didn't panic or anything."

"This isn't the first medical emergency I've witnessed. Do you remember earlier, I mentioned about someone with a latex allergy? That happened while they were having surgery. They almost died. I didn't realise how serious it was at the time, as the issue was discussed rationally, and that she might be having issues with the latex. They changed the gloves and mask and after some specialist drugs, she stabilised. I learnt that panic stops you thinking straight."

"I don't know which is scarier. How calm you were, or that you implied you witnessed surgery."

"I doubt anybody at the school has before or will in the future. It helped the person, and I got to learn. And I was able to help you because I didn't panic. If you try to remember a bit more from last night, you would have noticed nobody treating Eugene panicked either."

"Are you saying I'm too emotional?"

"No. When I went to bed, I cried. I'm not a robot. I have my emotions. I feel love. I feel desire. I feel fear. I do feel worry but I try not to panic. The two feelings I had was helplessness and impotence. Eugene was ill and there was nothing I could do. Helen was watching for the medical people. Zoe was making sure the corridor stayed clear. The support workers were giving medical treatment. All I could do was watch."

"You didn't do nothing. You helped me. You stopped me interrupting the help he was getting. You made sure others, like Zoe had something to do."

"Hello, hello," came a voice from the door.

Ben and David looked up to see Mr Hobson striding into the room. Hilda following in his wake.

"How is he?" Mr Hobson asked Ben, taking a seat the other side of Ben.

Ben looked across at David for help. "You're the one who has spoken with him," David prompted. "Mr Hobson likes first hand details if he can. Hence why he's asking you."

"He's awake," Ben answered, fighting down his fear at talking with the headmaster. "He has some slight speech issues with some slurring, but he seemed to remember what he'd been doing at school. They want him to rest the remainder of today and they want to try some mobility tests with him tomorrow. They have him on some medication as they worry about seizures."

Mr Hobson beamed at Ben. "Thank you. You covered how he is and what is going to happen. Very well done."

A warm glow made its way through Ben's body and the cold he felt since Eugene had fallen ill faded slightly. "You aren't going to make him leave, are you?"

"Leave?"

"The school. If he has reduced brain function, will he have to leave the school?"

"No," said Mr Hobson. "He is a pupil at our school. If the school needs to make changes to accommodate his new needs, then we will make the changes. However, if Eugene needs specialist care that he needs elsewhere then it shouldn't be our place to stop him. This is an academic discussion, as nobody yet knows the extent of his issues apart from the slight slurring of his speech."

Ben nodded.

"Shall we go see him?" Mr Hobson enquired, starting to stand up.

"His parents are with him at the moment. Only two adults at his bedside. I was there earlier but thought they should have some family time."

"Then we wait," Mr Hobson pronounced and sat back in his chair.

They didn't have to wait long. Eugene's parents came in. They looked exhausted.

"Quenton Hobson," said the headmaster, standing up and approaching Eugene's parents. "I'm the headmaster at Eugene's school."

"Hi," they said, taking it in turns to shake Mr Hobson's proffered hand. David and Ben got up, making room.

The two pupils slipped out of the waiting room. "Why don't we go see Eugene?" David suggested. "Mr Hobson will keep Eugene's parents entertained for a bit."

They were disappointed to find Eugene asleep. A nurse was close by, checking on his stats that were displayed on a monitor.

"He's had a taxing day," the nurse explained as he saw their disappointed faces. "An operation is trying on the body. Then family and friends visiting, just makes them want to stay awake instead of listening to their bodies and snoozing."

"Oh," muttered Ben, disappointed.

"I'll make a note, so when he wakes up, we can tell him you came. His phone is in his drawer, and knowing every other patient in the children's ward, they will have it out even before they're well enough to use it."

Ben gave their details to the nurse, who jotted them on a board behind Eugene's bed.

"Why don't I move over here," said David, trying to sound casual. "You'll then be able to say bye privately."

"I've nothing to hide," Ben complained, but David moved away anyway.

As David waited, his phone pinged for an update. It had been eerily quiet all day. He had a quick glance. An appointment with a subject of 'Career Discussion' it was offsite and with Helen. It mentioned it could be delayed if needed. David pocketed the phone. He would be leaving soon, so would discuss it later.

A few minutes later, Ben joined him. "Are you okay?" David enquired.

"Yeah."

David didn't think Ben sounded very sure but said nothing and they went back to inform the others that Eugene was asleep. It was agreed that Eugene should be left to recover, and they decamped for the day.

"Can I go back with David?" enquired Ben as the four from Hayfield went to the car park together.

"If you want," said Mr Hobson. "David, what time is your specialist training session?"

"Not until this evening," David responded, wondering if he had not been told it was a career discussion. "Apparently it can be delayed a few days if needed."

"Eugene is stable," responded Mr Hobson, after some thought. "You never know what the future holds. Last night and today is a case in point. Nobody thought a student would be so ill they would end up in hospital. Do it tonight unless you are too tired."

"Yes, Sir," David acknowledged as they approached the car park. They split and went their separate ways to the three different cars, dotted in different spots.

It wasn't until they were on the outskirts of Cambridge that Ben talked. At the road junctions, David had been able to glance across at Ben without it being obvious that he was checking on him. Ben was staring out of the window, lost in thought.

"Are all study partners in love? Am I supposed to fall in love with Eugene?"

"Who you fall in love with, is your business, nobody else's. Hayfield is challenging for all pupils. We all have something in our lives where we weren't fulfilling our potential at our previous schools or in our lives. Hayfield is an environment where we can do better, but sometimes getting there is painful where we look at who we are. Your study partner is there as someone the school thinks will help you, and you can help them."

"But aren't you all married?"

"None of us are married. You've witnessed some commitment ceremonies. Some decide they want to make a public commitment. Only three of the couples in year five have done that. There are two types of service. Togetherness and Affirmation. You have only seen Affirmation. Togetherness is where they commit to being there for each other as companions. Affirmation is similar but is based on them being together in love."

"Eugene is someone so easy to talk with. We were on the same wavelength. But he didn't set my heart racing. I always thought I would fall in love with a girl. I was worried that the school thought I was gay."

"Worried?"

"No," rushed out Ben, "Not worried that I was gay, or what others might think. I was worried that the school had an impression that I would fall for Eugene. There are some that are gay and some that are straight in the school. Why anybody would get upset about that is beyond me."

"There are a lot more for you to learn in sexuality and gender," laughed David.

"Learn by osmosis or by lessons?"

"Both. I was really impressed how you and the rest of the year treated Adelle when she transitioned."

Ben shrugged. "Again, it isn't a big deal. It's 2010."

"And how do you think she would have done if she'd transitioned at your previous school?"

"I don't think she'd have been beaten up, but I think she'd have had a much rougher ride than at Hayfield."

"Apart from the better acceptance of differences in gender and sexuality, is there anything else that stands out about Hayfield?"

"The orchestra and I suppose the standard of teaching. We learn so much more here than at my previous school."

"Is it just the teaching that makes you learn quicker?"

Ben thought for a moment. "There isn't any messing around in the classrooms. I don't have to hide that I'm enjoying classes because everyone else is."

Ben gave a gasp of horror and went back to looking out of the window.

"What's up?"

At first Ben didn't respond, but David just continued driving in silence. David knew Ben had heard him, so waited for Ben to be ready to continue their conversation.

"Eugene. If he's brain damaged, will he be able to keep up with the rest of us. Will it make him upset if he can't?"

David paused to think. It was a legitimate concern. It also was a rare attitude. He was thinking more about Eugene than himself. He was a Hayfield student!

"We don't yet know the impact on his brain, and we might not know the full picture for a few days. He is alive, and he was talking to you. He'd only recently come out of major surgery. Nobody is going to be at their best in those circumstances."

"What is this training you're doing tonight?"

"There are four main types of learning you get to do at Hayfield. Your normal school learning. Musical skills which you use in the orchestra. Third is your specialist skills. You were given them a few weeks ago. Finally, when you decide what you want to do with your career, the school gives you opportunities to give you a head start with that. For instance, Emma and Paula have been helping out at the neighbouring farm."

"Oh. So, is this training tonight to do with your career?"

"Yes. A slightly inconvenient time, but as you heard, Mr Hobson said we should do it as we don't know what the future might hold. As you said earlier, carpe diem."

By the time they arrived back at the school, it was just before orchestra practice. David's phone pinged as the two students got out of the car.

"Helen said your year is wanting an update before orchestra. They're all in The Lounge."

"Will you come too?"

"Of course."

It turned out not to be just the bottom year, but as they went into the room, fifty-seven pairs of expectant eyes looked at Ben. Ben looked back, and then with panic said quietly to David, "Help!"

David said quietly back, "Just tell them Eugene's status. You know it the best."

Ben tried to swallow, but his dry mouth stopped him. After a few seconds he said, "Eugene's alive."

This was all Ben could initially get out. He thought about the time he'd waited, not knowing. Jill and Anna had been a great comfort at the first hospital, but there had still been the dread of not knowing.

"And?" prompted Molly.

Ben shrugged. "We don't know. It's too early to know." He looked around and they were still looking at him. "David can tell you more."

Ben moved to the side and flopped down on one of the stools. Jill quickly moved next to him and joined him.

"As you know from earlier, Eugene had surgery. They repaired what the surgeon called a malformation, but there are others, some of which are impossible to get to. He will have some radiosurgery to hopefully sort things out. However, with all the good news, Eugene is still gravely ill."

"But he won't die, will he?" asked Adelle.

"He might. It is still very early."

That caused a stir in the youngest pupils. The older ones had known David for longer and knew he didn't sugar coat things.

"That's a bit blunt, isn't it?" said Alex, putting his arm around Adelle whose lips were pursed together to try to stop herself crying.

"Yes, but it is the truth. If I said he was going to be fine, and something happened to him and you found out I knew the opposite, you wouldn't trust me again. We need to be able to trust each other and that starts by being honest."

As the crowd broke up to get their instruments for orchestra, Ben came across. "You said you were always honest, but you hide a lot too. Is that being honest?"

"You asked me some questions earlier, and I answered them. If you'd pressed me further, I might have told you I couldn't answer. I don't think that's being dishonest. That is just protecting you from something you don't need to know."

* * *

It seemed strange to David, just him and Helen leaving the school and not having the evening meal with everyone else. It wasn't the first time they'd both been away together, but this was the first time since they were head pupils. It had also been the first time they'd been able to talk in private since David had returned.

"Any idea why this chat is occurring now?" asked Helen as she drove out of the grounds.

"I'm sure we will find out when we get there," responded David.

Helen glanced across. Since he hadn't denied it, Helen assumed correctly that David did know but didn't want to say anything. They were both dressed smartly, but not overdoing it.

The drive was only fifteen minutes, and Helen pulled into a hotel car park. It was a modern looking building, surrounded by parkland.

"Leave your phone in the car."

Helen gaped. They never went anywhere without their phones.

When they were far enough from the car, David said, "I saw Hilda playing with her fancy necklace. It reminded me of what Louis asked in France. I mentioned the riddle and she recognised it as a recognition phrase."

"And?"

"Hilda rang Yvonne. She told me the response to the phrase. A bit later, this meeting was arranged."

"What have you got us into?!" exclaimed Helen.

"I wish I knew," responded David. "I wish I knew. I wanted you to know before we went in. Do you still want to have this meeting?"

"Why didn't you say anything before we set off? Heck, we're here now."

"I think this is something different from the S.P.A. and I don't know if Mr Hobson knows about it. I didn't want it accidently overheard."

"You don't think they'll kill us if we don't like what's being said?" asked Helen with a slight panic.

"I think they know pretty much who we are by now. I don't think they'd be talking to us if it was something we were going to have a major issue with. I doubt we will get the whole picture though. We never do."

"Let's see what we're told, then we discuss it, before we agree to anything. Though I'm sure we'll need to agree to keep secret what we're told. I'm happy for that, as long as we don't commit to anything..."

Helen paused. David looked across at her and raised his eyebrows. She blushed knowing he knew what she was going to say. Their training on computer invasion and bypassing security systems was not itself illegal, only if they ever used it.

"Well committing to anything else other than keeping things secret."

With that decided, they walked to the bar entrance.

"What'll you have?" asked a gruff barman.

"One cola and one orange. We're two of the party for a private reservation under the name Bishop."

The drinks were quickly served, and they followed him through a door and down a corridor. "You're in here. When the other two in the party turn up, we will bring in your buffet."

"Thanks," said Helen as they went into the room.

The room was larger than they'd expected. On the left were two three-seater settees facing each other with a large coffee table in the middle. On the right was an oval dining table with eight chairs, a white linen tablecloth draped over it. At the far side was a long floor mounted storage unit with a coffee urn, hot water, tea bags, sugar and milk.

"It looks like we will be well fed," said David after looking around.

"Shame there aren't little cakes," mused Helen.

David just smiled before saying, "I'm sure we'll be eating soon."

They didn't have to wait long before the other two people arrived. Behind them a stream of people who put plates of buffet food on the table. The staff were just leaving when someone came rushing up with the missing plates and crockery.

When the door was closed, Yvonne Taylor took out a device and placed it on the table. "This should block anybody listening."

"We left our phones in the car," stated David, wondering where he could get a device like Yvonne had.

"Good thinking. Okay, grab some food and let's sit down on the settee and we can chat. Before we do, some introductions. This is my daughter, Laura. Laura, you've already met David, and this is his partner, Helen."

Laura frowned. "I don't remember David."

"Ah, yes," said David with a slight enigmatic smile. "I met you at a Hayfield concert. I said, 'you never had to worry here'. I did give you my name then."

Her mouth dropped open. "That young woman, was you? I think Mum called you Jayne."

"Yes, that's me."

"Sorry if this is rude. But are you really male or female?"

David shrugged. If he'd been asked this a few years previous, he would have been upset. Now it didn't really matter to him.

"Physically, I'm male. Mentally, that's still open for discussion. We can't tell if I'm neither or both."

Yvonne caught her daughter's eye, and she shook her head. "That isn't something you ask anybody, especially at Hayfield. They are there to be safe and learn. It is something private to them and not something you need to know, other than for your own curiosity. It's like someone asking if you masturbate. They have no reason to ask other than being nosey."

Laura looked like she wanted the ground to swallow her. She turned to David and looked him straight in the eye. "I'm sorry."

David nodded, accepting the apology. He was impressed that Laura hadn't tried to make an excuse for her faux pas. "If you have any dealings with the school like your mother has, it is good for you to learn what is acceptable and what isn't. If you'd asked me that four years ago, I might have had a very different reaction. One time, I was so worried and confused I attempted to commit suicide. I'm so grateful it was noticed, and I was saved."

As they sat down, Laura asked, "I know this isn't really what this evening is about, but can I ask what I shouldn't ask? If that makes sense."

Helen took this one. "Best thing to do is accept people as they are portraying. For instance, if a person is dressed as a female, treat them that way. If they are dressed as male, treat them as you would a man. Especially if they aren't doing a good job at it. Don't ask what their birth gender is. Don't ask what is under their clothes. Just accept and treat them as you would someone else. With respect."

"You've seen me dressed as Jayne and as David. So, I can see that can be confusing."

"Okay, let's get to business," said Yvonne, with her CEO voice. "David, how much have you told Helen?"

"I filled her in once we got here. I didn't think it was a good thing to discuss at the school, as it seemed separate to the S.P.A. I presumed it might be something Mr Hobson didn't know."

"Okay, let me start at the beginning, so we know there is no misconceptions. Hopefully a lot at the start is what you already know, so bear with me. Laura is learning about my main business, as well as studying at university. She is here to learn more about what else I get involved in."

David and Helen nodded, and Yvonne continued. "When you started school, you were told about the Alpha and Beta program. You later discovered that this was an overarching project called the S.P.A. The beta program was for students to learn certain skills which would help them later if they decided it was something that interested them. Some continue, like Andy and Stacy. Others, such as Ingrid and Fran, decide that it isn't something they want to pursue. The program, away from the schools, is to investigate suspected illicit activity, and pass any evidence to relevant people."

David and Helen glanced at each other. This wasn't anything new to them.

"What you've stumbled upon is something separate, but there have been a few instances where there has been some unfortunate overlap. In 1923, an alien race from a planet called Alfare visited Earth. They stated that Earth was heading for disaster. A saviour would design a spaceship that would save society. However, there is another alien race that would try to disrupt them and try to cause us to kill ourselves. They were from a planet called Reginadde."

"Reginadde!" Helen and David called out, looking at each other.

David hadn't known what to expect, but aliens hadn't been anywhere near his top five. Surely this was the realm of fantasy.

"Indeed, you came across that name in London. This is where there is sometimes a crossover. Some of the things that the S.P.A investigate are caused by the Reginaddes. The S.P.A. doesn't know that there are additional goings on behind some of the things they investigate. Since their work is compartmentalised, it hasn't been an issue. The fact there are aliens is something that is kept secret. Knowledge of them could destabilise humanity and take us into self-destruction."

"Where does Hilda's necklace come into it?"

"We don't know who this person is that will design the spaceship and save humanity. But the necklace will help find them. There are several people in different countries that wear a necklace as it helps them find this person. I've no idea how, but I just trust that it will. Neither Laura nor I are part of that search but are trying to keep things stable until they are found."

"And Louis Jumelet?"

"I found out an hour ago that he is a deep undercover agent. He was tasked to infiltrate and find out who The Supplier is. The Supplier was suspected of dealing with the Reginaddes. Louis worked his way up and it seems the arrest in the UK helped him reach the top."

"So why, in Strasburg, was he being chased?"

"We aren't sure. It might be he was found out, or it could be someone else under The Supplier who doesn't like someone new in the top team. Perhaps a power struggle. From what I'm told, he is a top agent."

David thought about the note that Louis had slipped him. He thought about mentioning it, but there must have been a reason that Louis had said to keep it quiet. The more he tried to push that idea to the back of his mind, the more it solidified.

"Where abouts did this first contact take place?" David enquired.

"Why?" asked Yvonne, looking at the two of them warily.

"Call it completeness," Helen replied when David stayed quiet.

Yvonne thought for a few seconds and shook her head. "I'm sorry, but no."

"I think you should," said Laura, looking across at her mother. She'd been an observer for most of the meeting, and three heads turned to looked across at her. "I don't think they would have asked if they hadn't thought they needed that information. There is a lot they could have asked but haven't. For them to ask that and only that doesn't make sense unless it was because they needed it."

"Remember when I came to your office four years ago," said David. "That was for a specific reason. Your personal assistant was implicated in what happened. We found out that Sue was working for the Reginaddes. When we got to France, a deep cover agent who'd been undercover for years is potentially exposed. An agent that even you didn't know about."

"Are you saying you don't trust me?" asked Yvonne, surprised.

"I was asked to keep what I was given to myself. I'm sure there was a reason for that. Has June ever visited your office?"

"No, but-" she swallowed hard, her eyes darting from side to side as she processed the ramifications.

"There's always George."

"No, no, no. Not George. Not yet anyway, and don't even suggest Matilda."

Laura was watching on, not understanding the conversation but not wanting to interrupt. Helen had more of an idea of what was being suggested.

"Doesn't Wardenclyffe have an overnight in London, on the way back from Brussels?"

"I don't want to know how you know about that," Yvonne said sharply. "I might like your ideas, but I hate what you're implying."

David didn't say anything else. From the little he knew of Mrs Taylor; she wasn't someone who refused to see the evidence. She took a piece of paper, wrote on it, and folded it before passing it to David.

"Thank you," was his simple response before putting it unopened into his pocket.

"Now you know a lot more than most about the reason behind the S.P.A. They are there to keep a lid on things. Some of which is caused by a group of aliens who for some reason don't want humanity to survive."

"Now you've told us all this, what do you want from us?" enquired Helen.

"Nothing more than you did previously. I thought it prudent you got the background I just shared. It saves you searching, which might flag things up to others."

up
74 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well that was unexpected……..

D. Eden's picture

And it appears that the story has twisted somewhat away from the simple idea of a school to help children with issues. It also appears that David and Helen will be getting more involved in much bigger issues - and it also appears that they need to make a career decision. I have a feeling that they will follow Andy and Stacy into careers which will use what they have learned through the Beta program and their specialized skills.

I can’t help but wonder who George is, and if the Matilda that was mentioned is the same Matilda that David is so familiar with. Also, what is the importance of Wardenclyffe having an overnight in London? Is this so Hilda can get her necklace in front of Matilda?

So many questions after this chapter; this answered some, but created many, many more.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Confusion cleared (I hope)

For George - I refer you to Year 1-Part 69. He runs an external computer security company, but is the type of company to replace everything rather than subtle investigations.
Matilda - Yes, this is the little munchkin
Wardenclyffe is the Canadian school that Penny mentioned in Education in the Hills. As for what they are going to be doing - that is for your imagination at the moment

Curious and curiouser

That conversation that is not happening is really messing with the readings on my weird-o-meter. And it also triggered a bubble-up from some other stories I have previously read here on BCTS about some warring alien species wanting to save and destroy humanity. Though of the top of my head, I can not pin-point those references right now.

You are painting some very vivid word-pictures here. And I truly wish that I had been able to benefit from the kind of environment described at Hayfield in the UK and in the hills of Utah. Which I am sure also holds true for the schools near Montreal and near Brussels (that we know of by reference). Apart from the academic and personal aspects of life, the challenges of intrigue that are slowly coming to light would have been straight up my alley four decades ago.

I hope I am able to muster enough motivation and emotional strength to do a dive into the archives to find my nifty spreadsheet from way back when. Then start updating and building a network diagram to guide through the main story-lines and connect the back-stories as well as the background stories for additional context.

Thank you for sharing craft and imagination with the rest of us.

Jessica

You have thrown me

I am very disappointed with your introduction of extra-terrestrial aliens, a story-line I usually avoid.
I am very tempted to throw the "off switch" on what was already stretching my away from my usual sense of reality. What I had saw as novel but still related to reality, has now separated itself into total unreality.
I will try the next few episodes, but freel much less committed.

E.T in story

It isn't a major part of the story, but links to the first part of survival (which you might not have read). This was really a setup for later stories. Next chapter has no mention of it at all and future chapters in A New Style Year Five might have reference for the information, but nothing with aliens in it at all.

The only other part of why this was mentioned was to do with Hilda as she is what links the two books. That is if there is a demand for me to continue with Survival.