Joey & Joy - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Joey & Joy

Chapter 2

by Marlisa

 
I am so glad I ran into Joy today at the mall. It’s probably been three or four years, at least, since Joey and she saw each other last. If I wasn’t so sure about our marriage, I’d almost be jealous at how easily they jumped back into their friendship. It’s like time restarted right where they left off.


 
Abby’s Viewpoint

I am so glad I ran into Joy today at the mall. It’s probably been three or four years, at least, since Joey and she saw each other last. If I wasn’t so sure about our marriage, I’d almost be jealous at how easily they jumped back into their friendship. It’s like time restarted right where they left off.

“Isn’t that right, Abby?” asked Joey, shaking me out of my thoughts.

“I’m sorry? What?”

“I said, you probably didn’t think I’d ever learn how to cook. Well, grill anyway,” laughed Joey before he wolfed down the last part of his burger.

“It’s been a chore,” I exaggerated. “This is one chauvinist male when it comes to who does what around the house.”

“Hey,” started Joey.

“Hey yourself, Joey,” I interrupted. “You know it’s true. Why else would you only do the yardwork and grilling while I take care of the rest?”

“That’s odd,” came the slightly sarcastic tone of Joy before Joey could respond. “He always seemed so domesticated to me. Isn’t that right, Joey?”

I looked at Joey as he blushed, nearly as red as his Chiefs t-shirt. He never blushes, well, very rarely, but it seems that Joy has a little secret info about my hubby.

“Do tell, Joy,” I smiled. “I would love to hear about it.”

“Well,” drawled Joy as she chuckled as Joey’s discomfort. “Let’s just say he knows a lot more about how to run a household than he lets on.”

Now this is getting silly. She’s dropping strange innuendos and Joey just seems to be completely embarrassed. I look at Joey and he looks like he’d crawl inside the grill if he could.

“Hey, relax Joey,” says Joy soothingly. “You know I’m just winding you up a bit. I guess you never told wifey about your Halloween bet with me our senior year of college, huh?”

“Halloween bet? What is she talking about, Joey.”

“It’s nothing, honey,” replied Joey, rather shakily. “Just a college prank gone wrong. I got embarrassed and it’s not really something I want to talk about just now. So, can we just drop it, please?”

“I’m sorry, Joey,” entreated our guest, a sorrowful look on her face. “You know I wouldn’t intentionally hurt you, right? I was just having a little fun at your expense.”

“Just like old times, right,” growled my hubby. “You’re back in my life, in my home for less than an afternoon, and I already feel like I’m out of control. I thought I had things under control, but hearing your little snide remarks again after so long..”

I just watched, my mouth agape. Joey never blows up. AT ANYONE. And he’s blowing up at his oldest friend in the world?

“Before Joey says something I’m sure we’ll all regret, “ I jump in, shaking my head no at him before turning to Joy. “We’ll go get a refill on the drinks and let him think about what he’s going to say for a second. Will you excuse us for a moment."


 
To Be Continued...

up
50 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interpretation

“You know I wouldn’t intentionally hurt you, right? I was just having a little fun at your expense.”

I'm guessing the key to all this is the word "intentionally", a word that is subject to interpretation depending on your POV. It appears that Joey and Joy may have a different opinion on it. It has been three or four years since Joey saw Joy. And how long has it been since they graduated from college? Three or four years, maybe?

Another word open to differing interpretation is "hurt". Maybe being embarrassed and humiliated doesn't count as "hurt" in Joy's book?

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Hmm, what's that about?

You've got me very curious about what's going on between those two! I'm sure Joy knows about Joey's dressing en femme, but it looks like there's much more than that!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Joy knows

It says in Part 1 that Joy is the person who got him started cross-dressing. And I suspect there was more than just dressing up. The digs about housekeeping suggest Joey had to do the maid thing after losing to Joy; and Joy may have set him up to be humiliated while he was doing it.

Not much of a friend, indeed!

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

relax, withheld, or can I

relax, withheld, or can I call you with? :) Things sound worse than they are at the moment, that's all I can say.

No one else can tell you best how to be yourself

No one else can tell you best how to be yourself

Causes

Joey seems to have some pent-up anger about what happened. It would seem that something about losing the bet upset him enough that years later he still seems to be very sensitive about it, and does not want his wife to know. And that dig about not telling "wifey" sounded a bit nasty to me. Sounds as if Joy is going to make sure Abby finds out whether or not, or especially 'not', Joey wants it to be revealed.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Best friend, Hardly!

RAMI

If Joy is Joey's oldest and best friend, I wonder what his enemies are like.

No contact for several years and the first thing she does is to start teasing him in front of his wife, with silly but cryptic innuendos.

For someone who seldom blows up, Abby seems to be concerned as to what will happen if he does so. I guess he seldom erupts, but when he does it must be a Krackatoha explosion.

RAMI

RAMI

Rami, As I said to withheld,

Rami,

As I said to withheld, it seems worse than it really is at this point. Trust me, I haven't let you down yet, have I?

Well, don't answer that! :)

Thanks to you and to all for the comments!

Marlisa

No one else can tell you best how to be yourself

No one else can tell you best how to be yourself

Joey Does Not Want To

Think about it, yet may have too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cause and Effect

If, as is strongly implied by Joy, Joey had to be a "maid" after losing a bet to Joy, that may be why he has refused to do anything like housekeeping, cooking, and such. That kind of activity would remind him of the humiliation he suffered at Joy's hands. Joy seems to take entirely too much pleasure in jabbing Joey in sensitive places to embarass him, "all in fun" of course. With friends like that, no wonder he hasn't told his wife.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Wording

That’s odd,” came the slightly sarcastic tone of Joy before Joey could respond. “He always seemed so domesticated to me.

Interesting choice of words there. 'Domestic' means "of or relating to the household or family" or "devoted to home duties and pleasures". 'Domesticated' means "tame". A domestic person enjoys taking care of the home. Domesticated is what dogs and cats are. Okay, maybe not cats. 'Domestic' also has a mean as a term for a housekeeper or maid.

You say this isn't as bad as it looks, Marlisa. Given Joey's actions in the next two chapters, I find it puzzling that Joey has such a strong emotional reaction after 8 years, given that things aren't that bad.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive