Forever Claire, Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Forever Claire, Chapter 12

Mary Windham wanted to teach her daughter to be charitable. One day Claire would inherit Windham Manor and the fortune that went with it.

That was one of the reasons she drug her adopted daughter from their nice little New York town to this small, rural, southern Pennsylvania town in the middle of a horrible war. But even she was taken a little aback by the conditions of the town of Gettysburg in late summer.

Wounded and dying were everywhere. Churches, schools, libraries and stores became hospitals. Families of men on both sides of the battle journeyed to the town in search of loved ones after the most horrible battle anyone could ever remember. For Mary, Lydia, Claire and Becky, the war became more than just something they read in the papers, more than something to rally around, march and make speeches.

Mary tried to protect Claire from most of the horrors during their hospital visits. They brought blankets, bandages, clothing and food.

But even Mary wasn't prepared one a young soldier from the Irish brigade summoned Claire to his bedside.

"You look just like my sister when she was little," he said. "You look like she did when we boarded the boat from Ireland. What is your name, child?"

"It's Claire, Claire Windham," Claire stuttered, trying hard to not let out much of an Irish accent that was leftover from her life as Charlie O'Hara.

"Mine is Jimmy Sullivan," the young soldier said.

Claire knew the name. It was her uncle Jimmy, her real mother, Meggie O'Hara's younger brother.

"Hold my hand, please," the young man said, with tears running his cheek. Doctors and nurses had been treating for weeks, trying to keep him alive. But even Claire could sense he was slipping away.

"Where are you from?" the young man said.

"From New York," Claire whispered.

"My sister, Meggie O'Hara, well she's re-married now," he said. "She lives in a small town in New York. If you ever meet her, will you tell her that I love her."

"I will," Claire cried. "I'm sure she's very proud of you."

The young man tightened his grip on Claire's hand, then slipped away from life as if falling asleep. Claire put her head on his chest and wept.

Mary reached down to pick up her daughter.

"We will tell Meggie," she said to her daughter. "I just want to tell you how proud I am of you. You were very strong."

She picked her daughter up and walked her outside of the hospital. The fresh air did them both good.

"We've done about all we can do here," she told her daughter. "I'll tell Lydia that we'll leave for New York in the morning."

Claire couldn't wait to find Becky. Becky was helping make bandages. The two of them found time to play with children who were there with their mothers searching for their families.

"I'm glad they are playing," Lydia told Mary. "I want them to be children again, and to only worry about things children need to worry about."

"I know," Mary said. "I thought this would be an educational trip for them. I wonder if they've learned a little too much."

#####

Claire screamed like a banshee as she woke from a dream in the railroad car.

"What is it child?" Mary Windham asked her daughter.

"It was horrible, just horrible" Claire said.

It was a nightmare about all that she'd seen. She couldn't wait to get back to Windham Manor. The adventure was a bit much. She'd seen a lot of blood. A lot of soldiers in the hospital without arms and legs. She'd heard them moan and groan. And in a passing moment saw someone she knew, an uncle Meggie had always talked about die. He was a person Meggie always used as an example of goodness when compared to Charlie's father.

She also couldn't wait until she saw Meggie again. She couldn't wait to show her the dresses that they bought in Lancaster, including one for the mother of Charlie O'Hara. She also couldn't wait to see the boys. She saw so little of them now that she was living with Claire. She also couldn't wait to tell her about her brother Jimmy. She knew Meggie would be sad about his passing.

She also couldn't wait to see Mirilla or Myron, or to play with Becky in the garden.

She also wondered if there were ever going to be any more meetings with Emily at the fountain, whether they were dreams or some cosmic visits. She had a lot on her mind and Emily seemed to comfort her in those times.

She seemed comforted as she looked outside at the sight of the mountains as they headed north. They were a sight that seemed to softly whisper they were close to him.

She looked over at Becky, clutched Beatrice, and dozed off to sleep.

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another series and author return to BC, bravo!

missed this story, so glad you are continuing it.

Hope the spirt of the dead girl who said awhile back our hero/heroine was a girl can help her heal her tortured mind and body. Too many of her family have died, they need heirs. Can the dead girl make our heroine whole? IE from the fragments of her life lost so young and his painful past can they become one complete woman?

War is horrific, you got that spot on. Gettysburg was slaughter to be repeated and *improved* upon in the trench and gas warfare of WWI, the blitzgrieg and firebombings of WWII and so on..

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Glad to see it's back after

Glad to see it's back after such a long absence... a little short though? I mean not that I'm complaining short's better than none I just hope you don't keep us waiting for as long a time for the next update!

Forever

I hope Claire remains forever, as sweet and as sensitive as she has been... Yes, it has been a long time, but not forgotten. PLease continue... Mary.

May Claire

Keep her innocence as she grows into womanhood.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Torey, Thanks For continue to write

this lovely, (yes lovely) story l read this story a little over a month ago and l am glad that you chose to continue to write this story please don't let us wait another 7 months down the road to see the next chapter! please l'm begging you!!

So moving

Dear Torey:

I just love the tenderness in this story. My what a wonderful life for Claire. I would suggest that you describe things more; add more detail to your "drawing". This story has so much potiential. Good job.

M'salama

Khadija

I started reading this story some time ago

And I was very disappointed when I couldn't find any more chapters to it.

Thank you for continuing it. I really loved it. But I think I somehow managed to forget a bit about it, I should really read it again from the start. At first, I wasn't that thrilled about the time of the story, partly because I was thinking how it must have been hard to transition at that time, but you managed to create something wonderful here.

I also must say that I expected a longer chapter, but I really don't care. I'm grally glad this story is back :)

Mildred

Great Story

This is an excellant story. I have enjoyed each and every chapter. Please continue on with this, we are all waiting on the edge of our chair.

Deb