Pointe Shoes

Printer-friendly version

Pointe Shoes

Editor's note: Pointe Shoes is a sequel to My Summer With Meg and Our Nutcracker Adventure.

I've always been mesmorized by watching Meg dance.

This night was no different.

Classes were over for the evening. Meg liked to go into an empty studio and dance for a few minutes, making up her own choreography as she went.

"Get off your little butt and join me Collin," she shouted as she was making a dance up to Kelly Clarkson's "Break Away."

It was the first time she'd ask me to join her. Usually I just sat and watched her.

"You can do the steps I can do," she said as we did pique turns in a circle.

"Piqque ... chasse ... tour jete," she whispered just loud enough for me to hear as we did them side-by-side.

"My pretty Colleen, you dance beutifully," she said.

"You do, too, my pretty Megan," I whispered as we curtsied to one another.

Suddenly, we heard clapping.

"Oh, don't stop my lovelies," Miss Jana said.

"Well, Mom's going to be here soon to pick us up," Meg said.

She was running a little late.

My cousin Jack had basketball practice.

And my mom was working late on a project.

"There is something I want to talk to both of you about," Miss Jana said.

We both put our warm ups on and sat down while Meg unlaced her pointe shoes.

"Madame Kathryn said yes to your idea Meg, she thinks it will be a wonderful idea," Miss Jana said. "I told her I would choreograph it, something beautiful, something graceful."

"Awesome!" Meg said. "It's going to be fun."

"What's going on?" I asked.

"In our school show, we usually pair off the siblings for a dance if they want to do one," Miss Jana said. "Meg asked if she could so one with you. I really love the idea."

"Thanks Miss Jana," Meg said. "That really means a lot to me."

"Means a lot to me, too," I said, fighting back a tear.

"There is one more thing," Miss Jana said. "I'm giving you this note for your mom to sign Colleen."

Meg and I looked at each other. There was no one else around. It was the first time she called me Colleen.

"I guess I've been forgetful," Miss Jana said with a laugh. "You are the only girl in Ballet IV who isn't on pointe. Your ankles are strong enough. I'm putting you in beginning pointe with the rest of the girls if your mother will approve. I'll help you size the shoes and pick out a pair."

I was stunned.

Getting pointe shoes is a rite of passage for a girl taking ballet.

Miss Jana told me she knew I would still be presenting as Collin for a while. She said there were a few boys who take pointe, and she would explain so to the rest of my classmates.

She also explained that she would give me private lessons with Meg.

"If you transition, I want you to be able to dance like a girl," Miss Jana said. "You and Meg have a lot of potential. I want you both to be able to go as far as you can go."

*****

"Pointe shoes?" Mom asked. "Well, I guess I should have seen that coming. You are 12."

"Yeah," I said. "I am 12, and Miss Jana said am ready."

"We got our pointe shoes when we were 12, too, didn't we Amy?" Mom said.

"Yup," Aunt Amy said. "Meg was 12, too, when she got hers."

Mom looked over at Meg. The bra strap barely peeking out of her tank top reminded her of another thing.

"You know what else we got when we were 12?"

Meg and I shrugged our shoulders. Jack just had a blank stare on his face.

Mom whispered to Aunt Amy, who started laughing.

"Oh God, am Mom embarrased the heck out of us, too," Aunt Amy laughed. "Of course, Meg got hers at 11 because she was an early bloomer."

Meg's face turned pink.

I was still clueless.

"Got what?" Jack asked.

They were famous last words.

"Training bras," Mom said almost stoicly.

"Ewwww," Jack said. "Gross!"

He decided he didn't want to be part of this conversation. Couldn't blame him.

"If we are to move forward in this journey of yours, it's going to be part of it," Mom said.

"Don't worry, I'll go with you," Meg said. "I'll spare you as much embarrassment as possible.

Transition had been a little slow. Still Collin at school and at dance school.

Colleen's presence was picking up more at home. The ultimate plan was to fully transition over the summer.

"No daughter of mine is going braless at the beach," Mom said. "We're also going to have to get you more clothes."

"The beach?" I asked.

"It was going to be a surprise," Mom said. "You Aunt Amy, you, me, Meg, Jack and Maya's going during spring break. And we're letting each of you bring a friend."

Meg was already clued in on the plan, and had already invited Lindsey and Mauve.

"All the girls are going to be bunking out in the biggest room of the beach house," Mom said. "That includes you."

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great too see

This continued

Many Blessings to You

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I had to go back and read....

D. Eden's picture

My summer with Meg, and Our Nutcracker Adventure first, but it was well worth it.

Even though I cried through a lot of the stories, I truly loved them - and I hope to see much more!

Please continue with Colleen's journey. You have done a wonderful job with it and it would be so lovely to see the rest of her story.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I hope

Angharad's picture

you continue this lovely tale.

Angharad

Great to see a sequel Torey.

Great to see a sequel Torey. I was hoping you would continue the story.