Raised in SLC - chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

slc_title.jpg

There’s no place like home!
There’s no place like home!
There’s no place like … Home, and best friends!

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W. and Holly Hart
for their kindness, help, support and input.

Raised In SLC
Chapter 15
The Conclusion

By Penny Reed Cardon

"Uh, what?" I slowly opened my eyes, "… where am I?” 'Oh yes, now I remember.'

"Matilda, did you spend the whole night in that chair?" Ellen asked.

"Um, I guess so. I didn't have this blanket though."

"Well, I guess you can probably thank one of the nurses for that."

"Mary Beth!" Suddenly remembering why I was in the chair, I looked towards her bed. I was relieved to see her sleeping peacefully. I looked closer and could tell that her breathing was back to normal. I don't know why I did it, but I kissed the tip of my finger and touched it to tip of her nose.

"A little closer than just friends, I see," commented Ellen as she observed my last action.

"Well, ... we've been close friends for years. During the last couple of days I've realized just how close."

"That's okay dear; there's nothing wrong with a kiss on the nose, between friends. Are you ready to start the day?"

"Like I said last night, I'll (yaaawn) be tired today, but I felt that it was important to sit-up with Mary Beth. Other than being tired, I think I'm ready for whatever the day brings."

"That's the spirit, Matilda. Look at each morning as a new beginning, a chance to grow personally and a chance to help others."

"Ellen, have you talked with Dr. Harris this morning? Is there going to be any problem with us leaving today?"

"That's two entirely different questions. To answer the first, yes I've spoken with Peter. He was correct about two things. First, his treatment of Mary Beth, and her allergic reaction to the tape appears to have been right on the money, and second, his assumption that he would no longer be an employee of this hospital. As for your second question, that remains to be seen. Peter did sign both sets of discharge forms. However, sometimes certain members of the administration can be a little … unreasonable. We'll just have to play it by ear and see what happens. In the meantime, why don't you shower and get dressed so you'll be ready when your Mother arrives."

"Okay, Ellen. What about Mary Beth, Should we wake her up now?"

"Not just yet, I think we’ll let her sleep until you're finished with your shower. If I'm not here when you're finished and ready to go, please wake sleeping beauty and have her shower and get dressed," Ellen giggled.

"No problem, I'll take care of it. Although I'm not sure that I can play the role of the handsome prince," I decided to add to the merriment.

Ellen was sitting in the chair I'd vacated moments before as I retrieved my clothes from the small closest and headed for the bathroom.

As I showered, I realized, 'You know what's really nice? Being able to take a nice, long, hot shower and not having Chuck yelling at me for hogging all the hot water.'

When I finished, I dressed quickly and slowly opened the door, peeking out. Mary Beth was still sleeping. Ellen wasn't anywhere to be found, not in the room or out with the nurses. ‘Time to wake sleeping beauty’ I sat down and started gently tickling Mary Beth's nose. It took a while, but she finally responded, sleepily pawing at her nose. When she didn't open either eye, I started tickling again. Once again, her hand brushed her nose, shooing away whatever it was that was offending it. It wasn't until the third time around that Mary Beth opened one eye, peeking out.

"What are you doing?" she moaned.

"Tickling your nose."

"Well, stop it! I'm still sleeping. What are you doing dressed? It's still the middle of the night."

"Wakie, wakie, sleepy head, sleeping time is over. It's morning. Time for you to get up, get showered and get dressed. Ellen left a bag with your clothes. I don't know where she is at the moment, but in case there's a problem, she wants you up, showered and dressed."

"What do you mean, problem?"

"Well, there was a little excitement after you fell asleep. It might be best if you get moving."

"Hey that's right! Dr. Harris took the tape off last night. No sponge bath today." Mary Beth threw off her blankets and sat up quickly. At least she tried to sit up; the sudden pain from her ribs reminded her that she was supposed to take it easy. "Hey, where did this gown come from?" she asked as I helped her up and she swung her feet around and slid off the edge of the bed. Feeling her ribs, her excitement flew out the window. "OH NO! What did they do to me?"

"Relax Mary Beth; it's just the elastic bandages. Here, let me untie the knot at the back of the gown. … There you are, now go into the bathroom and take off the gown and bandages, then take a nice shower and wash your hair. I know that will make you feel better. I'll get a nurse to put the bandages back on after you’re finished. Then you can get dressed."

"Are you sure it's okay?"

"Of course, it’s okay. You don't want to stay here, do you?"

"Well, at least we'd be together."

"Wrong again dear friend! My mom will be here in about an hour to take me home. Unless you want to stay here ALONE, you'd better get moving."

"But Matilda, I don't want to go without you." Mary Beth had such a frown on her face. I couldn't help myself as I giggled.

"You know if you frown like that your face will stick that way. Then everyone will call you Sad Beth instead of Mary Beth," I chuckled.

"Oh Matilda! You're impossible!" she giggled as she took her duffel bag and went into the bathroom.

Mary Beth had been in the shower for about fifteen minutes when Ellen came in. "Well, I see you're showered, dressed and looking almost like a princess again," Ellen smiled.

"What do you mean, almost?"

"Well, ... something's missing. Do you think you would know what to do with these?" Ellen giggled, as she handed me a large bag.

Inside was another wig, already styled like it had been for my graduation. There was also all the makeup that I would need to finish the job. I smiled as I nodded, "Oh yes, I know what to do with these."

"They come with Amanda's complements, dear. Can I assume that Mary Beth is in the shower?"

"Yes. She's been in long enough! I was about to get a nurse to put the elastic bandages back on her."

"Never mind, I’ll take care of it. Why don't you use the mirror above the sink, do your makeup, and change your wig. Oh Matilda, I know it’s been a while, but do your very best. I need you to be every bit the princess that you were, when you were dancing with Joseph, after your graduation."

"Ellen, what's going on?"

"Nothing much, just a little diversion. Please hurry dear, there's not much time." Ellen knocked on the bathroom door and disappeared inside.

I quickly wrapped a towel around my neck and shoulders to protect my dress. My makeup application was a little rough, ‘Good grief, am I out of practice.’ I washed most of it off and started again. It took three tries before I was happy with how I looked. I was surprised that Ellen and Mary Beth hadn't come out yet; as the shower had been turned off for some time.

A little while later the door opened and Ellen came out … Following behind her was, ME! Well, not really me, but if you didn't look too close, you'd think it was me.

"Ellen, what's going on?"

"Like I said before, just a little diversion. Would you do me a favor? I'd like you to send a PDA message for me, using your numeric code."

"Sure! What should I send?" I picked up my PDA, and turned it on.

"Please send 'You’re taking me to the promised land?’" Ellen said solemnly. Mary Beth stood next to Ellen, smiling.

I did as requested. Moments later I received a reply, also coded. After a moment to decode, I announced, "Ellen, the reply says 'What else are friends for?' Let me see if I understand this right. After last night’s excitement, the attitude of the hospital admiration has changed. They don't want to honor the release form that Dr. Harris signed for Mary Beth. You don't want to run the risk of some cranky doctor insisting that she stays here any longer. They don't care about me, because the only reason I'm still here is for observation. You've arranged for someone to mount a rescue mission, to smuggle Mary Beth out."

Ellen smiled as she leaned towards Mary Beth, "I told you it wouldn't take her long to figure it out."

Mary Beth giggled, "That's my best friend, the smartest girl in the fourth grade."

"Well, Matilda, have you figured out the plan yet?" Ellen asked. "Oh, by the way, you should wear these shoes."

Ellen handed me some stilts to wear, well actually they were some blue shoes with, a three inch heel, on top of what looked like two inch platform, about five inches total. 'I may get a nose bleed from the altitude.'

"Just guessing from the way we're dressed, I'll assume that I'm supposed to be a lost princess from some little known country, or some celebrity’s child, off to see the world. Like in the 'Prince and the Pauper', by Mark Twain. Someone is going to discover me here and we are supposed to make lots of commotion, drawing the attention of all the staff to us. In the meantime, someone else will casually walk in, and then walk out with Mary Beth pretending to be Matilda. The only problem is, I don't speak any other language."

"It doesn't matter what you say, as long as you're loud," explained Ellen. “Just take your cues from Joseph, Edward and Suzy. From what Suzy told me about yesterday morning, a little ‘one act play’ shouldn't be too difficult. Any questions?"

"Who is Edward?"

"He's Suzanne's study partner."

"One more question. After Mary Beth is gone, how do I get out of here?"

"Well, your Mother will be coming in to take you home. However, she’ll be walking out with Mary Beth instead. Nobody will suspect anything wrong with that, just a mother taking her daughter home. The show that you and the others will be improvising, will eventually wind down and you will leave with Joseph, Suzy and Edward. They'll have a limousine waiting out front. After all, you are supposed to be someone important. They’ll be taking you ... home. Your Mother and I will meet after she and Mary Beth have left the hospital grounds, then I will take Mary Beth to the school."

"It sounds simple enough. Do you have a backup plan?" I was understandably curious.

"Well, this should be a simple 'snatch and run' with a little diversion thrown in for insurance. When you think of a backup plan, let me know."

‘This is terrific! I’m the sacrificial lamb.’ "So I'm providing the distraction so Mary Beth can get away, and then I'm going to be trapped in here with some upset administrator?"

"Matilda, relax, this is just a hospital, not a foreign country. Everything will be fine. Trust me, this isn't the first time we've played this kind of game. In the meantime, I need to get these bags down to the van." Ellen quickly finished packing the PDA's and chargers, picked up the bags.

As she started to leave she remembered something else, "Oh, Matilda?"

Mary Beth and I answered in unison "Yes?"

"No, the real Matilda," Ellen giggled. "Don't let any of the staff see you until Joseph gets here. If I’ve calculated correctly, that should be in about fifteen minutes. Your mother should be here in twenty minutes, to walk Mary Beth out. You and the others need to keep the show going for fifteen minutes after they get on the elevator."

After Ellen left, Mary Beth just stood there, looking at me and grinning from ear to ear.

"All right Mary Beth, what are you smiling about?"

"Nothing, … nothing at all," giggling.

"Come on Mary Beth, give."

"Give what? I don't know what you mean."

"I know you too well, a smile that big means if you don't tell someone soon, you're going to pop. I'm the only one here, so come on, out with it. What were you and Ellen talking about?"

"Who said anything about Ellen?"

"All right Mary Beth, you want to play your Watson against my Holmes, that's fine. First, you weren't this happy when you went into the bathroom to take your shower. Second, Ellen was the only one in there with you. Third, I'm sure you talked about more than the weather. And fourth, I know where you're ticklish."

"Matilda, you wouldn't?"

I put on my evil grin, as I slowly advanced toward her, flexing the fingers on both hands.

"Matilda, stop, you don't want to do that." I continued slowly moving towards her. "You know what happens when you tickle me. I'll scream and make lots of noise." I took another step. "If I scream, the nurses will come in, and you aren't supposed to be seen yet."

She was right about that, still, I only paused for a moment before taking my last step. I was now within striking distance. I paused again, then threw my arms around her. She gasped, held her breath, and closed her eyes waiting for the attack she knew was coming. It took her a few seconds to realize that I wasn't tickling her. I was gently hugging her, around her shoulders to avoid her ribs.

"Oh, Matilda, you nut. I thought you were going to tickle me."

"I know, but your ribs still hurt and I didn't want our last few minutes together to be remembered that way. I've really enjoyed being with you these last few day's. We've gotten to know each other so well. I'm always going to remember these three days as the happiest we ever shared." 'At least up until now.' "Whatever you and Ellen talked about, that made you smile, can stay between the two of you." 'That is until tonight, silly girl, hee hee. Nothing will stop me from extracting the information tonight, once your shoes are off.’

"Oh Matilda, you're making me sad again. I hope they make a decision soon about letting you attending that school." Mary Beth began to cry again.

"Hey now, don't do that! You'll ruin your makeup, and Ellen didn't leave any to fix it up with."

"But Matilda, how come you're not sad? When I think about being separated from you, I can't help but cry."

'Now what do I do? How can I cheer her up without telling her that we'll be together, and without lying to her?'

"I'm not sad, because we may not be separated for very long."

"WHAT? What are you saying?"

"When I was talking to Ellen earlier," 'I won't say how much earlier,' “she told me that she received permission for me to take some tests." 'Which she did, the fact that it was ten weeks ago isn’t important.' "I guess they're the same tests that you took." 'Or at least they were close to being the same.' "So you see, we may not be separated for too long."

"Really? Oh, Matilda, that's wonderful! It maybe six weeks before we're together again, but at least it won't be eight years."

'Actually only about two or three hours, dear friend. That's not too long, is it?'

After that, Mary Beth wasn't sad anymore, but I’m definitely going to need some new stuffing, because she was hugging it out of me. I didn’t know she could squeeze so hard with her sore ribs of hers. Of course, that was better than her crying and messing up her makeup. I also knew that she and Ellen hadn't been discussing this subject, while they were in the bathroom.

A few minutes later, we heard some loud voices, Mary Beth looked out the door to see what was going on. "There are several people by the elevators. One of them is Suzy. I don't recognize the others, but one of them is yelling, in French, I think."

"Mary Beth, are all the nurses looking at them?"

"Most of them are," she replied after taking another look.

"Well, I guess it’s show time. I've never acted like a spoiled brat before, wish me luck."

Mary Beth and I hugged each other. "Good luck, Matilda!" she whispered. "I hope to see you soon."

"Good luck to you too, ... Matilda," I giggled. I kissed Mary Beth on the cheek and slipped out the door. Ellen had mentioned that there was an empty room three rooms down. I slipped in there without being noticed by any of the nurses. ‘Way to go Joseph.’ I sat in a rocking chair and waited.

I didn't have to wait long. I heard the search party approach. Joseph was talking, well, almost yelling, in nothing but French. Suzy was translating; at least that's how it appeared. Being that I don't know French, I wasn’t sure if she was translating or just adding to the noise and confusion. I left the room, so they would see me and I could lead them further away from the elevators.

"Mademoiselle Lucinda!" Joseph yelled when he saw me.

'Lucinda, that's not too bad, I can do Lucinda.' I picked up the pace. Of course, so did Joseph. I hadn't gone more than thirty feet when he caught up with me, grabbed me, spun me around and hugged me, all the while yelling at me in French, as if I understood what he was saying.

"Oh, Joseph, ... Hi, umm, ... Where did you come from?" I was suddenly surrounded by seven people, Joseph, Suzy and a young man, that I assumed to be Edward. There were also three nurses, as well as an older gentleman in a suit. I guess he's from hospital administration. As I was looking around, Joseph kept up a continuous verbal barrage in French.

‘Ok, I’ve played the good girl all week; let’s see if I can be a spoiled brat?’ "Joseph, Joseph, that's enough! I know that my mother hired you as my tutor last year. You’ve been trying to teach me French for months, but I just don't understand what you're saying. You’re going to have to speak English if you want me to understand you," I yelled, to be heard over what everyone else was saying.

‘There's Mom, heading in to get Mary Beth. They had better not take too much time in the room. I don't know how long I can keep this up.’

"Oh, very well, for zhe benefit of everyone else, I will speak zhe English. As for you young lady, you understand me well enough."

Well Joseph was using English, but ‘speaking’ it wasn't quite accurate, he was still ‘yelling’. "Mademoiselle Lucinda, what do you zhink you air doing? Changing places with a common girl from zhe city, duo weeks ago. Your mother was outraged, when she returned from Sweden, and realized zhat zhe girl she was kissing goodnight was not eer daughter."

"They didn't do anything to hurt Lucy, did they?" I yelled, trying to raise the excitement level.

"Miss Lucinda, of course not! You should know better than that!" Suzy injected. "Your parents may not be around much, but they are kind and understanding. They wouldn't hurt anyone. They were shocked to discover that you had traded places with Lucy. I'm afraid that saying you're sorry, and pleading forgiveness, isn't going to work for you this time."

‘Ah, there they go ... and ... Yes! They made it to the elevator. Now for a fifteen minute show, to give them time to get away.’ "You're right Suzy, my parents aren't around much. I'm surprised that they even noticed that I wasn't there. Lucy is perfect. We could have been twins. Not just twins, we could have been identical twins. Who was it that figured out she wasn't me? It couldn't have been Daddy, he's never home. Even when he's home, he isn't home. And I'm sure it wasn't Mommy, she's too busy with her brunches, tea parties and dinner parties. Not to mention the country club, the fund raisers and the charities."

"Mademoiselle Lucinda, your parents, zhey love you very much. Surely you know zhis."

"Joseph, I'll tell you what I know. The three of you know and care about me more than my own parents do. Answer me this, who did they send to look for me? The three of you! When they shipped me off to summer camp in Vermont last summer, who took me to the airport, hugged me and said goodbye? It was you, Suzy, and you, Edward. Who takes me each month to see the Utah Symphony? Who was with me last fall when I had to have my appendix out? Not Mommy and Daddy, they couldn't be bothered to come home for something so trivial.

“Up until my eighth birthday, who was it that tucked me into bed each night? My kind loving mother? No, it was you Suzy!” ‘I look that size so why not play like I'm that old?’ "I'm almost nine and I've never even seen my parents on my birthday. You want to tell me again how much my parents love me?" ‘It's amazing the kind of story you can tell after you've watched a few 'Poor Little Rich Kid' style movies.’

"Lucinda," this time from Edward, "You cannot blame your parents, because they aren't with you very often. You know that being the president of an international corporation, keeps your father very busy. And your mother has many responsibilities that take a great deal of her time. They only want what's best for you, little one."

‘This is the first time I've ever seen Edward, and he's calling me “little one.” I need taller shoes! Of course, anything taller than these would be stilts.’

"What about their responsibilities to me? I'm their daughter! Doesn't that mean that I deserve more from them than a huge estate which I can't leave without an escort, a private tutor, a governess, and chauffeur? Don't get me wrong, the three of you are terrific, and you are young enough that I don’t even feel bad about not having any brothers or sisters. The four of us have had some great times together; I love you guys. The problem is, you're just not my parents. They don't even know me anymore. I'm sure that it was one of you that discovered Lucy and I traded places, they're not home often enough to have figured it out on their own." After that speech, I had almost convinced myself.

"It's all right Munchkin," Edward said, as he put his arm around me, "We'll find a way of getting your parents to spend more time with you. You don't need to run away to get their attention."

‘That's why he called me little one. Someone told him my nickname. If I find out who, … I'll, … I'll ... I'll hack into the computer system and change their grades.’

"You think I was trying to run away? Or that I did this, just to get some attention? Is that what you think? You're all crazy! I was just trying to learn about life outside the walls of daddy's estate. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone. I just wanted to see what it would be like to be a normal kid. What would my life be like without all of this? Lucy and I bumped into each other by chance in the ladies room, at Symphony Hall last July. It was a spur of the moment decision. We talked for a while, and then decided to trade places for a month. We were supposed to change back at the concert the next month, only I couldn't convince Lucy's family to go again."

"Lucinda, did you say that the two of you traded places last July?" Suzy's eyes grew quite large, as she asked that question.

‘This is almost more fun than computers.’ "Umm, yes … why? When did you guys realize that Lucy wasn't me?"

"Zuzy? Edward? Pearaaps we should keep zhis small piece of information zo ourselves."

"I think that's probably a good idea, Joseph," Suzy replied.

"That's if we want to keep our jobs!" added Edward.

"All right you three, answer my question! When did you realize that it was Lucy you were taking care of, and not Lucinda?"

"Well, it was about two weeks ago," Suzy confessed, trying to looked embarrassed.

‘I think it's time to wrap up this performance and get out of here, and quickly.’ "Way to go, Lucy! I knew she could pull it off. She fooled all of you for almost three months. That's amazing!"

"Well now, Mademoiselle Lucinda, now zhat you aave aad your little fling and aave caused all of us zo be sick with worry, may we put all of zhis in back of us and zake you home?"

"Well Joseph, when you put it that way ... YES!" ‘Oh yes, am I ready to go “home.” After all, I'm Matilda and my home is Immigration Manor’. To emphasize my readiness, I threw my arms around Joseph, catching him off guard and almost knocking him over. Suzy, Edward, and I laughing at the terror on Joseph’s face. After he recovered his composure, Joseph, joined in the laughter.

With one arm around Joseph, the other around Suzy, and with Edward and ‘the suit’, bring up the rear, we headed to the elevator. Once the doors closed, the man in the suit began laughing, and shook my hand. "I'm pleased to meet you Matilda. Ellen said you'd look like a princess. I should know by now, always believe what Ellen says. Forgive me; my name is Kevin Farnsworth. Ellen called me this morning after Mr. Peabody tore up the discharge form for Mary Beth, saying that Peter Harris couldn't sign them. It was a pleasure to be a part of this show."

"It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Farnsworth. I hope you won't get into any trouble over this."

"Over what? According to my secretary, I've been in my office all day. Which is true, being that I am the chief surgeon, and the whole hospital is my office, so to speak. Oh, Peabody will be upset, but it's so easy to upset accountants. Especially an accountant that thinks he should be running the hospital. He'll throw a tantrum and blow off some steam about the disappearance of Mary Beth. This will offset his gloating, about having Peter dismissed."

"If you're the chief surgeon, couldn't you have helped Dr. Harris?"

"You know, I offered to help, but he told me that he already had a new job. I asked him where, and doing what. All he said was, it wasn't in the city, and he had Ellen to thank for it, so I guess he'll be okay."

When the elevator doors opened, the five of us walked quickly through the main waiting area and out the front doors, where they did have a limo waiting. Edward opened the rear door for us, just as a chauffeur should. After we got in, Mr. Farnsworth said goodbye and wished us good luck. The door was closed and we were off.

“Matilda, you were fabulous,” Joseph said once we were alone.

“Oh yes, girl! That was so much better than yesterday morning with Mary Beth,” Suzy added her compliments.

“Yeah, I haven’t had that much fun in ages,” Edward called out from the front seat.

“Thanks, I guess I learned more from TV than I realized. Everything I said was put together from different movies,” I replied with a smile.

“How old are you?” asked Edward.

“I’m 10, why?”

“Just wondering how much time you spent in front of the TV, to have seen enough movies to put together that much of a show.”

“Only once a week, with Mom, and then, only if they were good movies. The rest I must have picked up from all the junk that everyone else watched, while Rachael and I were putting puzzles together. Of course, there were all of the mysteries I’ve read as well.”

“Well, wherever it came from, you put on one fabulous show.” It was a little odd to hear Beca’s voice coming from Joseph. I had to giggle, I knew they were both the same person, but just from looking at Joseph, you would never suspect that he is really Beca.

I looked up and noticed where we were. “Hey, wait a minute, where are we going?”

“We’re taking you home,” Edward replied.

“But we’re not going to the Manor.”

“My instructions were to take you to your house. I don’t know why, and I’ve learned not to question certain instructions. The instructions said to take you to your house, so to your house you will go.” When Edward finished, he pushed a button and a solid panel went up, separating him from the rest of us.

“But, I don’t understand,” I was almost in tears, “Ellen told me Monday night that I was accepted at the Manor and would be going there when I left the hospital.”

Joseph held me in his arms for the rest of the journey. It was quiet in the back of that limo. The only sound was an occasional sniffle from me. When we arrived at our destination, I heard Edward get out. There were tears in my eyes as I waited for him to open one of the rear doors, but neither door was opened. Instead, he went up to the front door of the house that I thought I’d never see again. It seemed as if it had been years since I was in that house, but it’d only been five days. The last time I had been in that house, my father had beaten me senseless. I remembered that Mom told me Dad was in jail, but I guess the sudden fear of being that close was too much. When I started crying again Joseph put his arms around me.

“Easy Matilda, it’s not what you think. We thought we’d play a joke on you, but this isn’t what was supposed to have happened. Here take a look at this,” Joseph said as he handed me his PDA.

On the screen was a note:

Joseph
Stop by Matilda’s old house.
I just received approval for her to retrieve the
two books that she requested, and only those two.
Edith will be there, so there shouldn’t be any
problem with getting them. I’ll see you when I
get back, I’m taking the long road.

Have Matilda in my office as planned.

Thanks;
Ellen

I looked up at Joseph, “You mean I don’t have to stay here? I AM going to the Manor?”

“Yes Matilda! You are going to the Manor. I’m sorry about this; we thought it would be a joke. We didn’t know that being here and not knowing why would terrify you.”

Just then, the door opened. Timidly, I looked up and there was Mom. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her with such a smile. I jumped out and hugged her. I hugged like I’ve never hugged her before, and like I’ll never get to hug her again. Time stood still right then. I spent hours feeling the relief of all my tension and worries leave me, as I was held in my Mother’s arms.

A day or two later, I felt someone tapping on my shoulder. It was Joseph, “I’m sorry Matilda, but we have to get going. We have to get back to the Manor before Ellen does.”

“Bye, Mom, I love you,” I whispered in her ear.

“So long, Sweetheart. Behave yourself, and do what Ellen says.”

“I will Mom. I’ll see you at the Manor later, okay?”

“Well, I don’t know how much. I’ll be working with the students from the older years. From what Ellen tells me, I’m going to be very busy, so I don’t know when I’ll be able to see you.”

“Come on, Matilda!” Suzy called.

I giggled, got back in the car and Mom handed me my books. The door was closed and we pulled away from the curb. I turned around and looked out the back window. Mom was still standing at the curb; she’d pulled a handkerchief out of her pocket and was wiping her eyes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so sad, except maybe once.

The trip to the Manor was longer than I expected. I sat between Joseph and Suzy, holding my books on my lap, trying to make some sense out of what had just happened with Mom. ‘She knows that I’ll be able to see her from time to time, maybe not very often, but sometimes. Why did she look so sad? The last time I saw Mom that sad was … OH! NO, … NO, … NOT THAT.’ I leaned over, resting my head on Joseph’s arm and cried, and cried, and cried.

*
*
*

The last time I remember seeing Mom that sad was on that horrible day about five years ago, my first day of Kindergarten. That horrible day, when Mom told me we wouldn’t be able to have our special afternoons together anymore. It hurt her so much to tell me, that it was time to move on, that it was time for me to grow up.

Mom, in her own way, had just told me goodbye, just told me that we won’t be able to see each other, that I won’t be able to …

I eventually became aware of my surroundings and that Joseph was there, holding me gently, talking to me gently, as I came out of the fogbank that had enveloped me. We’d parked somewhere on the grounds of Immigration Manor, I don’t even know where. I don’t even remember Joseph helping me to my room, but he must have. I was still crying, knowing that Mom had just said goodbye. Now I knew how Mary Beth had felt Monday night, when she was crying in her bed.

“Matilda, do you want to talk to one of the psychiatrists? I know that Ellen is yours, but any of them would be happy to talk with you.”

“No, I’ll be okay. I just realized how permanent this is. I’ll talk to Ellen later though. I have some questions I need answers to. Could you stay with me for a while?”

“Sure! But you need to get changed and get over to Ellen’s office. Remember the surprise for Mary Beth?”

“Oh, yes, I’d forgotten.” I paused as I dried my eyes. “How did we get here before them?”

“No time for that now. Come on, Sis! Get a move on, you’ve got to get into your school uniform and be hiding in the big leather chair in Ellen’s office when they get there.”

“Joseph, what are you talking about?”

“Matilda, did you see ‘Star Wars — Return of the Jedi’?”

“Duh, everyone has seen that one.”

“All right, you remember the scene where Darth Vader is taking Luke to the Emperor? And how all you saw was the back of the chair, until he turned around. Well, that’s how Ellen wants to surprise Mary Beth. You’re supposed to be in the big leather chair behind Ellen’s desk. Sit with your back to the door and couches. Ellen will take Mary Beth in and they will sit down on one of the couches and talk for a while. When Ellen says that it’s time for her to meet her study partner, you will slowly turn around. Do you understand?”

“Yes, I have a question. Do you have a long hooded robe for me?” I giggled.

“Would you get dressed!”

I got up and started for the closet. “Is this the same room I was in before?”

“Yes, it’s the same room. Why?”

“Because I don’t remember there being a bookshelf on that wall.” I was pointing to the floor to ceiling bookshelf, that stood in the corner next to the couch. There were two books standing on one shelf, rotated so you could see the front cover of each book. Not just any two books, they were my two books. I assume that Joseph had put them there, while I wasn’t coherent.

“No Matilda, it wasn’t there before. I think you are the only one in the school, with a bookshelf in their room. In fact, Ellen only received the approval for you, to have your books this morning. They must have moved that in here sometime within the last hour or so. There’s a lot more space than you need for two books, I guess they figure you’re going to build another library.”

‘Here we go again with the, “You’re special” routine. I just wish I knew what everybody else sees in me. I’m just not that different, at least, I don’t think so. Oh well, no time to start thinking about that now.’

As soon as I’d changed my clothes, Joseph and I went over to Ellen’s office. She of course, wasn’t there. “Any idea when they will be arriving?” I asked, looking at Joseph.

He took out his PDA, tapped a few strokes and announced, “They are just entering the grounds. Give them a few minutes to get to the parking lot, and then about five to get in here. Now remember, your cue to turn around is when Ellen says ‘I’d like you to meet your study partner.’ Any questions before I leave? It will take me some time to change so I can go to dinner as Beca.”

“About a hundred, but I’ll settle for the answers to three. You checked something on your PDA to find out where Ellen and Mary Beth were. Do all the vehicles have tracking devices on them?”

“Yes.”

“Am I still under the limited access restriction?”

“Definitely, Yes!”

“I guess that means I shouldn’t play with Ellen’s computer while I’m waiting.”

“That’s correct. Can I trust you not to touch it, so I can go change?”

“Yes, I promise not to touch it. Uh, Joseph, why does it take so long for you to change?

“Do you think it’s easy to get my long hair to look like it’s this short? Do you have any idea how much stuff I have to use in my hair to stick it all down?”

“Why don’t you just take it off, like I do?” Now it was my turn to tease. I carefully removed my wig to show off my short blonde hair.

“Hey, you’re blonde under all that brown. You know, you’re kind of cute with blonde hair.”

“Kind of cute? With my wig and makeup, I’m a princess, and without my wig, I’m only ‘Kind of Cute?”

“Well, yes, I’d say cute. It’ll take me a little while to get used to the idea of you being blonde. You are going to let it grow out, aren’t you?”

“Yes I am going to let it grow out. My own hair will be a lot less trouble than keeping track of a wig. Oh, … Who told Edward about the nickname Munchkin?”

“Probably Suzy, why?”

“Does everybody here know?”

“I don’t think so. Is there a problem with Munchkin?”

“No, I don’t have a problem with Munchkin. What I do have a problem with, is ‘Little One.’ I know that I’m small for my age, and I can deal with that. It’s just that up until about three years ago, anytime my family went out to eat, the waitresses would always ask my parents if they needed a booster seat for the ‘little one.’ It drove me crazy. So if you would, please pass the word around, I don’t want to be called ‘little one’.”

“Hey, that’s no problem. Like I said before, we’re not here to embarrass anyone or make them feel bad. That’s definitely against school rules. Jokes are okay, as long as they’re not mean jokes. Look, I have to run, and you need to get out of sight. I’ll see you later.”

“So long Joseph. See you later.”

Joseph opened the door and left, but I couldn’t help but overhear his conversation in the hall. “Madame Aansen, so good to see you again.”

“Well, hello, Joseph. I didn’t expect to see you here. Is everything all right?”

“Wee Madame, everyzhing is jusz fine. I was jusz leaving zhe package zhat you aad requested.”

“Joseph, were there any problems retrieving the package?”

“Only a few minor difficulties. Aardly worth mentioning.”

“Very well, thank you, Joseph. Will we see you later?”

“I am afraid no. I musz leave as soon as possible, I zherefore bid you a’dieu, Madame.”

“Very well, Joseph. It was good to see you again, until next time.”

Joseph’s distraction gave me plenty of time to arrange Ellen’s chair and take a seat. With the high back and the wings on the sides, someone would have to come all the way around the desk to see me in that chair. Unfortunately, when I sat all the way back, my feet stuck straight out, and when I sat so my knees bent, my feet still didn't reach the floor. 'I don't know how I’m going to turn this chair.'

“Well now, Mary Beth, let’s take a few minutes and talk about this school and exactly why you’re here. We’ll be much more comfortable on one of these couches.”

“Thank you Ellen. I’ve been wondering why you would want me. I’m not really that smart. Matilda is the smart one! She’s always helping with my homework. She even helped me with the tests that you had me take on that small computer.”

“Yes dear, we know about the tests, and it seems that you will need a special tutor to help you catch up with the rest of our students. As you may not know, when your time with us has come to an end, you will be eighteen years old, but academically you will be well on your way to earning a Masters Degree at the university. All of our students are several years ahead of the other schools in the country. However, academics are not the only reason we offered you a position here. Here at Immigration Manor, our students excel because of the environment. They are free to express themselves without fear. As I reviewed the test you took several weeks ago, they indicated that you could do much better, provided you weren’t in fear of being ridiculed for being smart.

“However, there is another reason that our students excel. Our students are matched together in pairs; we call them ‘study partners.’ We are very careful about selecting just the right two to be study partners, their personalities, likes and dislikes, how they react in different situations, how they feel about loyalty. All of these are taken into account, before we pair up study partners. Right now, we have a student who has a very uncharacteristic personality and we have been having a difficult time finding the right study partner.”

“And you think I’m the right person to be this, this person’s study partner?”

“Yes Mary Beth, I know that you are just the right person.” ‘I could tell that Ellen was trying hard not to giggle.’

“Do I have anything to say about it?”

“Well, I guess, if there were something that we overlooked, like they only had one eye. That might be a reason to request a different study partner.”

“So, like, when do I meet this strange person, that you’ve paired me up with?”

“Who said anything about strange?”

“You did say uncharacteristic, didn’t you? What else does that mean?” asked Mary Beth.

“It means, that they do things that are unusual, or unexpected, or umm, well, strange. Anyway, I think you'll find this person will be lots of fun to have around.”

"The way you're describing them, I'm starting to get nervous."

"Oh my goodness no! I'm sure that you and your study partner will become 'best friends' in no time. If you're ready Mary Beth, I’d like you to meet your study partner."

'This is it; I hope Ellen is holding onto her.' I tried to turn the chair as planned, but as I feared, it wasn't going to move. 'Change of plans.' I hopped out of the chair and, as majestically as I could, walked around to stand at the end of Ellen's desk. 'Wait a second. No yelling or screaming? What’s going on? Now why did Ellen have Mary Beth sit with her back to me? I think it’s time to change the plans again,’ giggling to myself.

"So where do we go to meet this ..."

I quietly rushed up behind her and covered her eyes with my hands.' "Peek-a-boo study partner," I whispered.

"What the ... MATILDA!" Mary Beth grabbed my wrists, pulling my hands away from her eyes.

Spinning around, she looked at me for the first time, in all of about three hours. The expression on her face was priceless.

"SURPRISE!"

"But Matilda, when did you ... How come you didn't tell me ...” Suddenly she seemed upset, “Matilda, … You lied to me!"

I went around the couch and sat next to her. "Technically, I never lied to you Mary Beth. I did exaggerate a little, I kept some things a secret, and I didn't tell you everything that I knew, but I never lied to you. All of that ends now. There are no secrets between study partners, right Ellen?"

Ellen was giggling the whole time. "That's right, Matilda. Mary Beth, please forgive Matilda for keeping you in the dark about certain things. Surprising you this way, was my idea. From the look on your face, it seems that we were successful in surprising you."

"Boy, I'll say. I didn't expect to see this silly nut for months, if not years."

Mary Beth was truly happy to see me. ‘I may need one of those new bionic arms if she doesn't stop squeezing the one I have.’

"Matilda, why don't you show Mary Beth to your rooms? I assume you remember the way?"

"Oh Ellen, of course I know the way. I did spend almost two weeks in that room," I huffed.

"I know you do, Dear," Ellen chuckled. "Mary Beth, please don't hug Matilda so tightly. We've never had a funeral here at the Manor and we don't want to start now. You two go to your rooms and relax. Matilda you can change into something more comfortable. I'll come by and get you before dinner, take you to your year’s lounge and introduce you to the other 'Year A' students."

"Year A? I remember Suzy made a reference to year H. What's that all about?" inquired Mary Beth.

"This school is run differently than other schools. We have students from ages ten to eighteen, broken into eight years. Rather than defining them by grades, we use A through H. I'll explain more about the school after dinner," she told us, as she escorted us out of her office.

"Come on Mary Beth, you're going to love this room." We chatted as we went; nothing serious, just two friends happy to be together. We arrived at my room first. I paused a moment ... remembering the first time I was shown into 'my room.' That was a long time ago, but now, it seemed like it was just yesterday.

"Matilda, what's the matter?"

"Nothing dear friend, I was just lost in some memories. I have so much to tell you, it'll probably take weeks to tell you everything. You've been my guardian angel, my bodyguard and my best friend, now you're my study partner." I opened the door and we went in. "Welcome home, Mary Beth."

"Wow, this is nice. This is our room?"

I giggled a bit before responding, "Not quite, although I wouldn’t mind sharing a room with you. You might complain in a few years though. This is my room. Your room is next door."

"Really? We ‘each’ have a room this size?"

"Yes, matching rooms, closest full of clothes, private bathroom, and a ‘huge’ bed."

"Matilda, what's that on your bed?"

I had been so excited showing Mary Beth around, that I hadn't noticed the box lying by my pillow. "I don't know! It wasn't there when I changed my clothes."

Going over, I picked up the box. It somehow seemed familiar, the size, the shape, the weight. I was about to open it when I remembered that shape. Holding the box in one arm, I grabbed Mary Beth's hand and we dashed through the interconnecting door into her room.

“OUCH! Take it easy,” she moaned as I’d tugged too hard. On her bed was a matching box. I knew my suspicion was correct, I started crying.

"Now what's the matter?" she asked.

I let go of her hand and pointed to the box on her bed. Then, hugging the box in my arms I sat on the couch and continued crying. I knew what was in the boxes, and I remembered where I'd seen the nightgown and pajamas before, the ones that Ellen had provided us while we were in the hospital. At that moment, I knew that Mary Beth was not the only one being surprised today.

Mary Beth picked up the box from her bed and joined me on the couch. Together, slowly we opened the boxes. Then Mary Beth started crying too.

In each box was a note

Best Friends need Best Friends.
Welcome to Immigration Manor.

Ellen

Mary Beth and I were both crying as we hugged each other, as well as our new friends.

Oh, by the way, besides the note, Mary Beth's box contained 'Samantha.' My box contained 'Nellie.'

Best Friends, for Best Friends.

This is the conclusion of Matilda's adventures.
That is her adventures before joining Immigration Manor.

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Raised in SLC

lesliefraser's picture

This is well though out and written. Is there to be a foller up ?

this is the thired time that i have to do this when i go to logon system sayes that i have the wrong password

Rased in SCL

lesliefraser's picture

What happened to Black Bart?

this is the thired time that i have to do this when i go to logon system sayes that i have the wrong password

The story overall was

The story overall was adorable, yet it did have its painful moments that apparently brought back memories to many of your readers like me. I do thank you however for your masterful work and hope that you will return to Matilda and Mary Beth very soon so we can see them grow and expand their horizons. Huggs, Janice Lynn Miller

matilda

this story was very well written, the only thing i can say is there needs to be a sequel.
i don't do comments very often, as i guess i am lazy.
i wish you would carry on with these carracters and write a sequel.
thank you

[email protected]

Absolutely Magnificent

I was getting ready to dive into the sequal to this story when I decided to go back and refresh my memory. Wow! Am I ever glad I did. Although I reed this some time ago on a different site, your writing still moved me greatly. Thanks for sharing you wonderful talent with us. Now, on to "Education in the Hills"!

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

P.S. In Salt Lake City, the sun rises majestically over the Wasatch mountains, The Rocky Mountains are further to the east in Colorado.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

it was an awesome series

I have no idea what to say, it was awesome, and I hope to see a squel soon

Verry nice.

I really liked the ending and the entire scene with the switch to smuggle Mary Beth out of the hospital was very funny, although completely unnecessary as any parent or legal guardian can have a child signed out of a hospital against doctor's orders. They can do this even in cases where there is no question doing so places the child at risk, much less situations like Mary Beth's

Great Series

This is a very well written and thought out series with many different emotions brought to the readers attention. I know Matilda, Rachel and thier Mom are going to be at Immagration Hall. What has Matilda's other siblings been up to while she (Matilda) has gone off to school?

Matilda

Absolutely wonderful story...I have loved and waited anxiously for each and every chapter.
Thank you for your marvelous style and imagination. Rarely have I shed this many tears have I have been touched by Matilda and her family and friends.

Please continue to entertain us.

Raised in SLC

This is a very engaging story; I literally stayed up all night finishing it.

With my apologies to our prehistoric ancestors, how a sensitive, highly educated and very intelligent woman such as Edith fell for a neanderthal such as David is beyond me. Even less believable is that when she had a good-paying, or at least good enough paying, job at the Manor, she didn’t pack up the children and leave him the first time he laid a hand on her, let alone Mattilda. That makes NO sense whatsoever. A willing suspension of disbelief is one thing; a nearly absolute loss of credibility is another.

In the same vein, by the time Mathilda and Mary Beth were sharing that room in the hospital, they most certainly were NOT acting or thinking like 10 year olds.

Finally, throughout all of these stories I find such a consistent misuse of homonyms I have to wonder if for some unfathomable reason it’s deliberate! I know that there’s an attitude that’s arisen over the last couple of decades that somehow the rules of grammar and spelling don’t really matter; that somehow the reader will know what you mean … HOGWASH!!! To say the least.

Most egregious is the misuse of homonyms; in your case their/there/ they’re. You so consistently used the wrong one, I believe you never in these 15 chapters used the right one.

There are also numerous examples of the wrong verb tense and remnants of prior sentence constructions of rewrites. This last issue and problems with homonyms are common writing errors. They’re also easily corrected by rereading your work word for word before hitting the “Send” button and knowing your homonyms so when your spelling and grammar checker questions the use of a word you know when the checker is raising a question and when it is flagging an error.

The secret to good writing is rewriting!

STORY/SERIAL

I realy like this and other soy's in this story universe

I liked it.

However, there should have been specifics/theatrics on the rejection of mary by her family. And what happened to black bart and the pedophiles in the white van? And you KNOW the insinuation was that the father somehow enlisted black bart to do the the strippings biweekly (couldn't have been coincidence). So you see there are improvments that could be made.

Wonderful!

OK, so there was a rather yucky dark bit in the middle, but either side of that the story was fun.

In the last section especially - the unconventional escape from hospital and the 'reveal' once at The Manor.
It looks as though the Doctor who got into trouble has probably been transferred to The Manor.

As for not seeing much of Mum, I don't think they'll be too concerned about that, especially when they get into the swing of things. Although Rachel is too young to start at The Manor, given she's aware of its secret (and hasn't actually broken it yet) and knows some of the students / staff from the tour on Matilda's first part-time day, it would be nice if she's given special dispensation to visit occasionally until she's old enough to take The Test.

I can't remember whether I speculated on this earlier, but not having read "A New Style of Education" yet, based on the clues given in this tale, I have a suspicion The Manor (and its British counterpart) are linked to the Security Services (i.e. intelligence community):

* High security
* The "nothing can be taken into The Manor from outside, or taken outside from The Manor" rule
* The continuously monitored PDAs
* The Manor doesn't officially exist
* Dual identities
* Entrance via psychometric testing
* Extensive background checks on students

I suspect the "field trips" and "choir contests" provide cover for undercover operations - and of course, as the students are able to switch gender identities, they'd make ideal spies - no-one would believe that the belle of the ball who's just walked past them is the same person as the suited gentleman who was seen snooping around the building earlier?

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Re it was an awesome series

Thank you for your comment.

I do have a squel running, Education in the Hills. It's an on going work, currently there are 11 chpaters posted. I hope you find them as enjoyable as you found Raised in SLC.

Huggs & Giggles
Penny

Touching Ending

Through it all, we got to see Matilda mature from being shy and withdrawn to bold and imaginative. Almost as if she were forced to grow up fast. Now she spreads her wings and will fly into the next series. Makes you miss them when they leave the nest and are on their own. Thank you Penny for a wonderful journey with Matilda to this point! Looking forward to the next series!

*hug*

Sephrena

No Problem...

...with the content, and good to see one of the "jokes" have negative consequences initially.

(Not sure whether it's out of character for Joseph/Beca to trust Matilda in Ellen's office alone, but I'm certainly wondering why Ellen, who seemed to have the whole afternoon choreographed, would have set things up that way, given all the times so far that Matilda had exceeded expectations while dealing with her. Admittedly, Ellen knew from the GPS devices that there'd only be seconds between Joseph's departure and her own arrival. But could she be absolutely certain in advance that it was going to work out that way?)

One suggestion: it's somewhat difficult to distinguish between single and double quotes in the presentation here when they break into a conversation as they do in this chapter. If you could find another way to distinguish between thoughts/asides and dialogue -- double dashes and v-brackets seem to be the most popular, though simple parentheses might be sufficient -- I think it'd be helpful.

Anyway, I enjoyed the story and look forward to future adventures.

Best, Eric

Dear Penny

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Could you possibly be so kind and considerate as to write more ------ SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for a wonderful read. I look foreward to reading more about Matilda in the VERY near future. (I would really rather NOT need to send the huge hulking guys with the crooked noses to your house to "encourage" you to continue writing?)

Thanks again.

with love,

HER

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Raised in SLC

Hi Penny,

Well done in writing a brilliant series, you have certainly enhanced the school scenario. It has been the greatest pleasure working with you and I hope to work with you further.

"Friends for –e-ver" – Jinx in Spacecamp.

Hugs

Karen

Thought dialog vs spoken dialog

I have been trying to get Penny and others to use the semi-quotes for thought dialog as a standard. With different authors using many other methods, or none at all for thought, it is very confusing. if thre is one standard you will find it easier. And it is much better than no indicators at all.

However, I also recommend that they use italics as well for thought dialog. That way, an html download, or reading from the screen will be very obvious, but anyone copying and pasting into a word or text processor will still at least have the semi-quotes.

More and more pro mainstream authors are doing it this way, or if only intending to go to print, using at least the italics.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Semi-quotes?

Holly, what are "semi-quotes"? I Googled the term with no luck. But I did find an interesting Wikipedia article on the use of quotation marks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark

However, it only mentions single and double quotes.

Awhile back, somebody suggested using the tilde ~ to distinguish thoughts, along with italics. ~~Hmmm, I wonder if that would work?~~ Seems like a good plan to me.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Semi-quotes are single quotes ...

... or at least, that's my understanding. As I move forward, I'm trying to incorporate them in addition to italics, but it's difficult. I prefer italics alone, but I suppose I should use single quotes for thoughts in case someone wants to cut and paste one of my stories into a text file. *sigh*

Randalynn

I think, therefore I'm dangerous

I always thought single quotes were for quotes within a quote, i.e. when your character is quoting someone else.

Part of the non-uniformity -- and this is based on my observation so is not gospel -- is that earlier web/net based applications had/have limited character sets and things like italics were not or could not be displayed reliably.

I have been using the tilda for my character's internal 'voice' as a nod to Itinerant and his mentor Amelia_R who have found it convienent for web purposes.

~Geeze, I'm suggesting rules for punctuation, me, Mr. Purrfeckt? ~

Proportional fonts and autoformating must have some affect on this too as old rules like two spaces after a period make less sense in such an environment.

The best I can suggest is to stick to one consistantly and maybe put a brief explaination at the start of your story as to what marks mean what.

Best of luck,

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Re - I think, therefore I'm dangerous

Actually John, I think it's the ones that don't think that are dangerous, giggle, snicker, hee hee.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

WOW! I’ve started a controversy.

That’s exciting, giggle. Well maybe not a controversy but some comments just the same.

Speaking of comments, I want to take this time to thank everyone who has left comments, not only on this chapter but also throughout the entire saga of Raised in SLC. I’ve learned something from each and every one of you. Thank you.

Being that this is the last chapter of Raised in SLC there are some people that I must thank for their help.

I must take this time to thank someone who, many, many months ago taught me a valuable lesson, and as part of her teaching, she also encouraged me to write. Not simply to write, but to write creatively, to write with passion and emotion, both happy and sad. I had the audacity to write an epilogue to one of her stories and send it to her. To my great surprise she posted that epilogue, word for word as I’d written it. Of course, I’m speaking of my dear friend and adopted big sister, Angel O’Hare. Thank you Sis, you mean more to me than I can possibly express.

I also wish to thank someone else who means a lot to me. She encouraged me to write when I once again had to audacity to send her additions to her story. I’ve heard of this being done to other author’s who were offended. But not Karen Page, she said that my writing style was good and that I should write my own story. Thank you Karen for your encouragement, your suggestions and your help. I also have to thank you for allowing me into your universe. When I decided to create a school in the US, modeled after Hayfield Hall, to help Matilda, you not only encouraged me but welcomed me with open arms, and even invited my kids to say at your school for a while, I may have to return the offer someday (I wonder how much trouble Matilda can get into while in England?).

I must also thank Joni W, who has helped me almost from the beginning of SLC. Her suggestions and knowledge of punctuation (which is far better than my own) have helped me learn and helped provide a better quality story for everyone to read.

I cannot forget Holly Logan, who has taught me more about English than the class I attended during the summer. Thank you Holly for seeing something in my writing and taking me under your wing.

There is one other person that I must thank, for without her none of us would have this opportunity. Thank you Erin for creating a Big Closet where we can come together as friends to share in each others talents and imaginations. We may squabble from time to time, but most families do, from time to time.

Thank you one and all.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

Penny, Thanks For Giving Us Matilda

When Immigration Manor had to rescue Mary Beth from the hospital, Matilda goes into action. To me, the saddest moment was when she had to truly say good bye to her Mom. That broke her heart and mine. But when Mary Beth found that her partner is to be Matilda, THAT made up for the heart break. Ellen showed her heart when she gave each girl one of the special dolls. NOW we will see them at Immigration Manor. Penny, THE GAMES AFOOT, TIME TO GET READY FOR ACTION.
SO LET IT BE WRITTEN<
SO LET IT BE DONE
YUL BRYNNER

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well done

Renee_Heart2's picture

Penny I love the story I look foward to reading any changes on TG Fiction
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart