The Most Precious Treasure

Printer-friendly version

The challenge was to steal a rare gem, one that could be the most precious treasure any of them had seen. Nobody was supposed to be in the house that week. Anyway, they each had enough connections to get off if they did get caught. What could possibly go wrong?

--SEPARATOR--

Harry carefully bypassed the house's alarm system using the special devices he had made. He then removed a window screen, and used a thin but strong metal tool, sliding it through the tiny space between frames to unlatch them. He quietly opened it and climbed in the window, using a purposefully dim flashlight. He knew which room the prize he was looking for was in, and looked for the master bedroom.

He smiled to himself, thinking how envious the rest of the group of his cat burglar friends would be. They had all heard of the fabulous gem that the owner of this house had. They had also heard that she was out of town this week, and had decided to make a bet. There were seven total of them, and each would get one night to try to get the gem. If they succeeded, they would leave a message for the others and then show it off at the next time they got together. If they failed, no message would be sent, but they would still have to show up the next time to be gently kidded about it. It wasn't like any of them needed to steal in order to make a living, they did it to fill a feeling that something was missing from their lives. He was the second in line to try, the first having left no message after last night.

Moving quietly, he found the bedroom, and looked around. There was a small but ornate dresser against one wall, its mirror catching the dim flashlight's beam. He moved to it and was going to start to look in it. He had a odd feeling that what he wanted was in it, not in some hidden wall safe.

Suddenly the rooms lights came on, and he heard a little girl's voice say "What'cha doing mister?"

He startled, turned around and looked. There was the cutest little girl, dressed in a little baby blue nightshirt that had blue and white clouds and butterflies with pastel purple, blue, and yellow wings. She had large violet eyes, and pink hair. He couldn't help smiling, even though he knew that the house was supposed to be empty and that the child could sound the alarm. He hadn't know that the lady that owned this house even had a child. He had a soft spot in his heart for kids, especially little girls. He said softly "Hi cutie, what's your name?"

"Robyn," she replied, "what's yours and what'cha doing?"

"My name's Harry," he said, "And I'm looking for something."

"Mommy's necklace with the pretty gem?" she asked.

Stiffening slightly, he choked out "How did you know?"

She giggled cutely and said " 'cause mommy said someone looked for it last night. She said they went away."

"D..did she tell the police?" he asked with a slight quaver.

"Nope, mommy said that no one else but us knew."

Worried a bit now, he asked "Do you know where your mommy keeps the necklace?"

"Sure, it is in her music box in the center drawer."she replied, pointing at the dresser.

He quickly turned around and opened the drawer indicated. There was an ebony music box that had mother of pearl inlays in the shape of hearts and stars. He took it out and placed it on the dresser top. He opened the music box, driven by a need to see that the gem was still there. A soft tune that he couldn't place started playing as he took the necklace out. The necklace was a fine "serpentine" platinum chain with alternating small diamonds and sapphires set into it. But it's centerpiece was a heart shaped gem about 2 inches across at its widest. The gem seemed to have all colors in it, but became its most spectacular when the light hit it fully. Then the gem seemed to awaken with a silver flame in its core. Fascinated, he watched the seeming dance of the flame as it spun slightly on the end of the necklace. A sort of languid pleasurable tingling seemed to start from his hand holding the necklace and run through his body.

Suddenly he thought he saw something move. He looked up from the gem, and realized that it was just his own reflection in the dresser mirror. But why did his black bodysuit look looser on him? As he looked he realized that he was getting shorter. And younger! Why, he looked like a teenager now. Unable to look away, or move at all, he watched as the years faded from him. Other changes were happening to him also, he realized. His face softened more than youth could explain. His hair lengthened and turned a soft leaf green color. His eyes got larger and turned a brilliant turquoise. He felt the rest of his body changing in ways that he would not have been able to describe the feeling of, except to say that they were causing waves of more intense pleasure. The changes spread to the very loose black bodysuit, as it shrunk and changed. The long sleeves melted into ruffles at the shoulders, the leg material fusing into a skirt. Finally, the former black bodysuit finished changing into a softly ruffled little girl's sundress of purple with pink unicorns. The leaf green haired little girl stood there and blinked a bit, feeling like a fog had lifted from her mind.

"Hello sweetie, are you playing with my necklace?" asked a dulcet female voice from behind her.

She turned around quickly and smiled joyfully. "Mommy!" she exclaimed as she ran to hug the incredibly beautiful woman that had dark rich blue hair.

"Shh, it is okay." the woman said, "Do you know your name?"

The little girl thought for a moment or two, then brightened "Harmony!"

The woman gave a musical laugh and said "That is a wonderful name darling."

Harmony nodded happily and hugged her Mommy again.

"Now give me my necklace, go change into your night shirt and you and your sister Robyn go to sleep. Another of your sisters will be arriving tomorrow night."

The two young girls skipped off to their bedroom, while their 'mommy' put her necklace on, letting the gem hang between her breasts. She smiled gently as she thought of what she and her seven daughters could do at the City's Halloween party.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Horror?

Andrea Lena's picture

....hmmm...what a nice way to spend a fading career in theft...Can you direct me to where the house is? I'd like to take a crack at it myself! Loved this! Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

The Most Precious Treasure

What a great way to start a family.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Address of the House, Please!

Excuse me, but, I would like a try at heisting,
the Gem.

Hugs, nice story.

Olivea

me too!

darn it, where did i leave my burglar tools?

nice one.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Well... I wonder how long

Well... I wonder how long she plans to keep the thieves that way.

Interesting story,
thank you for writing.

Beyogi

Something missing?

It looks like seven cat burglars are finding what is missing from their lives.

Very sweet story!

This was fun Amy!

I love a good heist story and this one had the best twist! A great Halloween Tale!
Hugs,
Diana

The woman was really

The woman was really creative - I have no doubt she's the one who leaked the information to provide the challenge in the first place.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Amy_Daemon's picture

As to where the house is, it's right across from The Night Gallery that's on The Outer Limits of The Twilight Zone ...

And how long will she keep the would-be burglars as little girls? Well, little girls do eventually grow up ...

As to her having spread the information about the gem on purpose ... *giggle* could be ...

A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet.

O_O

Extravagance's picture

CAT BURGLARS?!? =0
*Doubles the guards around her sleeping chambers*

- - -

Royal catgirl of the court of the Empress of Euphoria. I like fine seafood, and I love huggles! ^_^
Catgirl_Likes_Prawns.jpg

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Whatcha writin' Amy?

Sugar and spice,
and the stealing of ice.
That's what little girls are made of.
.

Cat Burglar

Amy,

Let the lesson continue, Trick and Treat

Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors