Crown or Tiara Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

The 'Burning of Rhatica' marked a significant turning point in Granvayl's campaign into H'loren lands. The city of Rhatica, previously the trading town called Sassara, was originally part of a H'loren elves' greater territory. Its inhabitants were once servants of the evil woodland elves for over 200 years, until the War of Contested Forest erupted and they saw the light that they thought they would be forever denied.

Crown or Tiara
Chapter 5


By Shinieris


 

The 'Burning of Rhatica' marked a significant turning point in Granvayl's campaign into H'loren lands. The city of Rhatica, previously the trading town called Sassara, was originally part of a H'loren elves' greater territory. Its inhabitants were once servants of the evil woodland elves for over 200 years, until the War of Contested Forest erupted and they saw the light that they thought they would be forever denied.

King Athista Razen Talranic, late king of the Kingdom of Granvayl, answered the plea for help by the wretched people of Rhatica. He quickly marshalled a force of 1000 spearmen and 600 archers before drawing a mixed force of 2000 strong from Duke Arlas' army. The army marched day and night to free the city, stopping only once outside Trikas, a farming town north of Rhatica, to rest and resupply.

The army continued the march the next day. From afar, they could see the towering smoke from the flames that was burning Rhatica to the ground. The
army, not wanting to waste any time, broke into a run to save the people of Rhatica, only to be ambushed on the main road to Rhatica. Over 3000 Granvaylian men died that day, including King Athista himself.

This major loss also halted Granvaylian advance into H'loren lands, leading to an unspoken truce between the Human Kingdom of Granvayl and the H'loren elves.

Excerpt from 'War of Contested Forest: The Compilation'.

-----

"As I told you time and time again, I have an invitation!" Seo said to the guard in front of him. He was at the main gate of the royal palace of Vel-Farnikk. He had arrived at the castle gate late after noon, and he had been at that same exact spot until dawn, trying to convince the guard that he was expected. At this moment, he was slowly losing patience.

"And I have also told you time and time again, no one enters the palace," the guard countered unmoved.

"Look, I've been waving this..." he waved a piece of paper in front of the guard's face, "...for so many times, I think the paper has already started to turn into dust. You've read it too, does this look like a fake?"

"As I said, no one enters the palace," the guard said, standing stiffly and with a tone of impatience.

"And why in Vastramach's pit is that so?"

The guard's tone turned rough. "You would do well to avoid mentioning the dark god's name in Vel-Farnikk, Mr. Seo. We are all religious people and hearing the dark god's name mentioned so freely is an assault on our beliefs."

"Alright, I'm sorry about that. But still, can't you at least tell me why I can't go in?"

"It's the crown prince's welcoming feast. All official matters for today are cancelled, by order of the favoured prince. Now go, come back tomorrow," the guard said as he shooed Seo with a gesture of his hand.

-----

"Urgh," Princess Feska grumbled at the sight of so many guests in the Great Hall. She was wearing the dark green dress she was forced into, and her hair was extensively styled by Lady Frenia. As a result, she could feel the large curls at the sides of her face tickling her as she walked.

While the original Great Hall in the Imperial Palace was much smaller, later dynasties had improved it, either by annexing the nearby rooms or by making additions to it. King Athista Razen, the late king, connected the Great Hall with both the Gold Palace and the Silver Palace, through the addition of two staircases at the sides. Each of these staircases led to the highest floor of the Gold Palace and the Silver Palace respectively.At the moment, the princess was standing at the bottom of the staircase leading to the Gold Palace. She was looking into the Great Hall and suddenly felt very afraid. She slowly inched backward.

She was stopped from retreating any further by a pair of hands on her back. "Where do you think you're going, Your Highness?" The princess turned around, edging to the left, but she was stopped from running away when Lady Frenia blocked her route.

"Don't even think about running away, Your Highness," Lady Frenia smiled with her eyes closed, "I took great pains in ensuring that your hair looks perfect for this occasion.

"But Lady Frenia..." the princess whined with a glance at the Great Hall behind her, "There's A LOT of people in there!"

"Of course, Your Highness, it is your brother's welcoming feast after all. But do remember, when the crown prince ascended the throne, he will be expecting a lot more of your presence," Lady Frenia said as she took the princess along an adjoining hallway.

"Thanks to Therion, he thinks I'm King Vorik Strongblade's daughter. Why would Mikhal want to see me then?" the princess asked as she was led along to another, bigger entrance.

"Oh, you didn't know?" Lady Frenice said as the princess shook her head.

"Not only are you King Vorik Strongblade's second daughter, but you're also Prince Fridrick Hamdall's bethrothed."

"WHAT?!!!" Princess Feska exclaimed, drawing odd looks from passersby.

-----

"The arrival of, Princess Nefeskaya Falana Talranic, Favored Princess of Granvayl," the palace crier announced.

"Princess," said a knight in shining breastplate and bracers who was bowing with his right arm on his chest.

"Nice to see you here, Duke Rashtall," the princess smiled, and in her heart, she said, I can do this, I can do this. "How goes the army of the west?"

"Disciplined and ready to take down any of the crown's foes, Your Highness," the duke banged on his breastplate with his steel bracer.

"Good day, Your Highness," curtsied an elderly lady with lots and lots of jewelry on her self.

"Good day to you too, umm..."

"Baroness Mirin of Ikreet, Your Highness," the elderly lady curtsied again, apparently unaffected by the fact that the princess had no idea who she were.

The princess nodded. "Ah right, pleasure to meet you, Baroness Mirin."

"The pleasure is all-" the old baroness was interrupted when a man in flamboyant shirt with peacock feathers and a hat apparently covered in swan feathers pushed her aside.

"Count Virtis, Your Highness. I am in charge of the reconstruction of the Imperial Way."

"Count Virtis, good to see you here," the princess nodded.

"Yes yes, everyone loves to see me," he said with an air of arrogance, "Oh and since you're here, I have a favor to ask of you, Your Highness."

"A favor?"

"Yes, can you please persuade the favored prince to cut me some slack? It's bad enough to have to actually pay slaves for carrying slabs of marbles. Now I can't even make curves for the Imperial Way, or make roads that are steeper than 20 degrees."

"I don't think I-"

"Please, Your Highness, the prince is being unreasonable," Count Virtis said as he was also shoved aside by a man in a somewhat normal court clothing.

"Your Highness-" he was also shoved aside by another man.

"Good evening-"

"How do you do-" came a voice from her left.

"Pleased-" came a voice from her right.

"Enchante-" she had no idea where that voice came from.

The princess' head spun at the seeing the throng of nobles and officials surrounding her. She noticed that the longer she was there, the more people came and crowded around her. She knew she should escape, but she was already surrounded. The princess was starting to hyperventilate.

"Pardon me. I'll be borrowing the princess for a while," said a voice that broke through the noise around the princess. A moment later, she felt someone grab her hand and pulled her out of the crowd.

*As always, feedbacks and comments are very appreciated.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not sure about

this!. Part of me wants to just wait until the whole thing has been posted since making any real sense out of what is happening in this blow by blow postings is almost impossible. However I also want to support the authoress because I like it too! Can't I have my cake and eat it too? LOL!
hugs
Grover

This

shiinaai's picture

It's always wonderful for your support, Grover. Here, have a piece of cake.

Confuzzled

So we're now up to Chapter 5, and I still haven't got a clue what's going on. We've had little morsels of clues, but the jigsaw is still woefully incomplete and it's virtually impossible to see the whole picture. If anyone has made sense of the intelligence we've received so far, please share it! :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Uooo

shiinaai's picture

Well, I must admit that it's a little bit confusing, but rest assured, all your questions will be answered soon. Please keep on reading and supporting me ^_^

Crown or Tiara Chapter 5

What is Seo's business at the castle?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Seo

shiinaai's picture

His presence was requested ^_^

Finding Clarity in the Fog

Teek's picture

I have no clue of what is going on with the history lessons at the top, but I am starting to see the reality of the lives of the two youngest members of the family. The Queen Mother kept the balance between the two, but with her not there, everything is unraveling. I am finding it interesting in how Princess Feska's existance is known and not known by even her family. A queen mother can hide a lot, but to hide the truth behind her youngest two children is impressive. (I must not say more, in fear of revealing what others may not have figured out yet.)

I have to keep reminding myself of the time period this is in and how Princess Feska might have been raised to find herself where she is today. Who in her family and/or palace staff know the truth of her heritage? So far, other than the Queen Mother who is in a coma, only one other person appears to know the truth, her chamber-maid. I can't tell if her second eldest brother knows the whole truth or not, but I am leaning towards - no. I am impressed Queen Mother.

For a character in a coma, as the author you have built The Queen Mother's character up well. An impressive feat, congratulations. I look forward to seeing the truth be revealed. Good job on your story development.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Clarity

shiinaai's picture

Thanks for your comment.

As you figured, the Queen Mother is central to the story. Eventhough she spent most of her appearance in a coma, without her, this would be a very different story.

Please keep supporting me ^_^

Did Someone Mention Cake?

terrynaut's picture

It is a party after all. There should be cake at parties.

I'm really enjoying this. I think I mostly have some of it figured out. Heh.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

the cake

is a lie!
hugs,
Diana

Cake

shiinaai's picture

Terrynaut: Unfortunately, people don't bake cakes in medieval feasts :P If you've figured out the answer to the mystery, don't worry, there are still plenty of mysteries for you to solve ahead of explanation. :D

Moongoddess: I would send a cake to you, if the cake can handle the rigors of airmail :D

not that hard.

Prince Fridrick is Princess Feska. Apparently this is by royal decree from the queen mother. NOt sure why this is happening yet. Its an apparently well known secret that we dont know about yet.

Oh well. Munch munch munch. mmm needs more butter (adds some more butter to popcorn)