Singing to the Moon Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
Singing to the Moon
Chapter 6

by Maggie Finson

 

Okay, I did let out a little scream there. More like an 'Eeek!”

God, I was getting so girly it was getting really embarrassing at times.

Dani just grinned at me and gave my shoulder a comforting pat. “I was impressed. You did real good for a noobie at sneaking around.”

“I'm a teenager.” I managed to get out, then let out a sigh of relief. “We learn to sneak around when we're like twelve. And with my aunt and uncle, I had to learn a lot of stuff.”

“Impressed me.” Dani shrugged then gave me a really hard look. “So wanna tell my just why you did that when you're grounded?”

“How did you know I was grounded?”

“No one sneaks better than me, babe.” She chuckled and moved back to take a little bow. “I've even snuck up on Carmilla once or twice and trust me, that isn't easy. I was listening to your family conference of course.”

“I can't get away with anything.” I muttered much to Dani's delight.

“So what makes ya think I'm gonna send you back to your room?” She giggled this time.

“But you told me you'd be watching over me.”

“Doesn't mean I'm going to keep you from making your own mistake while you learn, kiddo.” She laughed. “I'll just try and make sure none of those mistakes are fatal, you know?”

“You mean you aren't going to just send me back?” I asked.

“Nah.” She shrugged then gave me another infectious grin. “It was really entertaining watching you jimmy that window, figure out how to get to the ground, then sneak through your family compound. The security there is really good, by the way.

“All I want to know is just what you're trying to do here.”

I need to know where the Hunters are hiding.” I answered and just then realized that was what I wanted to do since up to then my motives had been kind of obscure even to me.

“Dangerous.” Dani shook her head.

“I have to.” I answered without telling her why. Nuts, even I wasn't sure of the why other than I didn't want that baby to cry any longer.

Dani looked at me and nodded. “Okay. Check out that KOA campground northwest of town. Just don't get into too much trouble when you do.”

“You know where they are already?”

“They're Hunters, honey.” She answered. “Of course we've checked them out. But some of them are in another place. That we haven't found yet. ”Which is also why Carmilla hasn't lowered 'the fist of vengence' on them yet. We need to find out where the rest of them are hiding.”

“If you guys can't find out, what makes you think I could?” I asked.

“Baby girl,” Dani answered while giving me a really serious look. “Aside from me, you're already better at sneaking around than any of my sisters or Mother. Which is saying a lot. You find where they are, we'll take care of the rest.”

Without a lot of care for 'collateral' damage when they did, was the impression I got there. Anyone the Hunters held when the vampires found those jerks was just as likely to be dead in the aftermath as not.

Okay I already knew they weren't good people even if they could be nice.

If you haven't been able to make that distinction with people you meet already, I feel kind of sorry for you. You're going to have a lot of pain.

“I'll find them.” I just told her without hinting at what I'd just seen.

“She noticed and shrugged again. “We aren't super good people, Cindy, we know that. We try most of the time but our nature keeps getting in the way. We're killers on a short leash here in Ravencrest.

She wasn't apologizing for that. Just telling me.

“I know.”

“You are special, you know that?” The killing machine in human form actually hugged me as she said that. “You see things that others don't. Find these bastards before they do what they came here for.”

“And turn you and your sisters loose on them?” I asked.

Whatever you think is right.” she quietly answered. “Your own family has the same problems we do, and the other weres in town are the same. Find those Hunters and they won't last a minute. No matter who goes after them.”

That one I had to think about. But I did know that my family were predators. Come to think of it so were the other families that were prominent in town. I already knew that the Lockes were wolves. How many others like us were here?

“There are wolves, bears, foxes, cougars, and of course, coyotes.” Dani answered my unasked question.

“Well, time to go.” she grinned, kissed my cheek and just — vanished.

And there I was. All alone with my thoughts and uncertainties.

I only briefly wondered how she could do that before other things started demanding attention in my kind of muddled mind.

* * * *

Getting into and through town was really easy. Especially compared to getting out of the house. Sheesh, the happy Harper home was actually kind of a fortress. Okay, not kind of, it was a fortress.

But what was it defending against?

I had the feeling that I was going to find out at least part of the answer to that question in a very short time as I moved northwest to the campground Dani had told me to check.

Once I got there, and looked the place over, it just looked like a nicely filled up campground. You know, SUVs, trailers, tents, campfires all that.

But everything in the place had that sickening, hurtful feeling my second dream had given me.

I mean it looked normal. People around fires, sharing food and talk.

But all of them also gave me that not at all nice feeling I'd had in aforementioned dream.

I knew without any kind of extra sense, that me just walking down into that campground would not be a good thing. For me.

So I watched. And listened.

I have mentioned my better hearing, right?

Nothing, nada, zilch, zero. They weren't talking about anything other than the beautiful country, the nice weather and things like that.

Damn.

Why did spying on people have to be so hard? In the books I'd read the bad guys gave themselves away all the time.

I should have it so easy.

So I got closer.

Still no joy.

Until I spotted a black SUV with a quiet group around it.

A black SUV? Come on now. I mean SUVs were common where I lived being in the mountains and all, but most of the inhabitants of Ravencrest went for color. Sure there were a few black ones around, but not that many. If these guys had been going for blending in they should have bought a bright red one.

But it was the conversation that interested me.

“The child has been born.”

“Brother Sebastion has found it, and the family.”

“We will deal with that.”

“What of the inhabitants here? They have repulsed or destroyed any of us sent here before. Even when we damaged the werewolves so badly.”

“Those didn't have the Grail.”

The rest went silent at that and just nodded.

What? I wondered just what this Grail could be that would give these people enough confidence to come into a place where their asses had been kicked so many times even the residents had stopped counting.

This was not good.

But mention of 'The child' had really gotten my attention.

If I had anything to say about it, or to do with it, Grail or not, these people were going to get their butts kicked again.

But I had to find out just what that 'Grail' was first.

Which got interrupted when a heavy hand landed on my shoulder.

Damn it, how had I not noticed that guy?

“What do you think you're doing here little girl?” The guy had forcibly turned me around so I had to look at him and he was big. It was the quiet thing about his approach that really bothered me more than his size. Along with that 'little girl' thing.

“I'm lost?”

“Then you would have just walked down into the campground.” The big quiet moving guy shook his head and really looked at me.

“Ahh. You're one of them.”

“One of what?”

“The inhuman demons.”

“Demons?” I managed to squirm out of his grasp as I asked that and got ready to run for all I was worth.

“Die.” was all the answer he had as he pulled a really nasty thing out of a scabbard at his waist.

It was a long dagger, or maybe dirk if you wanted to get technical, but it glowed with that sickly light that blade on the floor surrounded with blood had in my dream. Only this time the thing wasn't a dream.

And he was lunging at me with it.

I twisted, used my skills to just 'not be there' when his strike hit, and kicked out with all the force I had on my return from the dodge.

My heel, with all the force I could put behind it hit him in the lower ribs.

And he just grunted.

And swept that nasty blade in an arc that caught my own ribs.

I can't describe the pain from that.

Like a paper cut that was lots deeper that had acid on whatever had cut me. And was eating into me.

I knew that another hit like that was going to kill me, too.

“Little girls shouldn't play with the adults.” He smirked as he aimed the horrible thing at my heart.

I redirected that strike, broke his arm, taking the nasty thing from his hand much to his shock, and drove the thing, painful as that was when I grabbed it from him, into his heart. I also had to really keep myself from screaming at the pain just holding the thing had caused me.

I was bleeding, with a badly burned hand, but I was alive.

I looked at his body and just had to smirk. “Some little girls are more than adults can handle.”

Then I fell down and kind of lost what was going on.

* * * *

“Wake up.” I heard while feeling some annoying things on my cheeks.

Those were slaps, as I noted when I opened my eyes and reached out to catch the hand that was doing it. “I'm awake.”

“Niiice.” The slapper grinned and I noted that it was Dani. “You're fast.”

“What happened?”

“You got wounded by silver.” She answered calmly. “But you did kill the guy who wounded you.”

“I suppose that's good?” I groaned as just how much in pain I was in started coming through.

“Oh, yeah.” Dani grinned as she kept wrapping bandages around my ribs. “You're alive, he's dead. Always a win in my books.”

“Doesn't feel like that from here.” I grumbled and winced as the bandages hit a really sensitive spot.

“Oh it was, girl.” Dani told me as she finished wrapping up my middle and took my burned hand. “Not many of us could actually handle one of those things at all, let alone kill someone with it.”

“I don't feel all that good about it, to be honest .” I winced as she smoothed some kind of salve that burned as badly as the burn on my hand had to that injury. “I killed someone.”

“Who was trying to kill you.” She calmly answered. “You survived, you're not a wimp, and all that. You defended yourself and you did good.”

“So why do I feel so bad?”

“Duh, girlfriend.” She laughed and shook her head. While avoiding the really personal part of that question deftly. “You've been cut with silver and handled silver all in the same day! enchanted silver at that! Hell, half of us would be dead already after that.”

“Then I should feel good about hurting like this?” I grumped.

“Oh, yeah.” Dani answered and had a really serious look on her face. “There aren't all that many of us 'Unseen' that can handle silver at all. Mama-san was right, you are special.”

“Gonna be a bitch getting back into the house right now.” I sighed.

“I can take care of that, hon.” Dani told me then grinned. “How you explain your injuries once I get you there? That's your problem.”

“Oh, great.” I moaned. “Now I'm really going to be grounded.”

Dani chuckled, patted my cheek and grinned. “Not my problem sweet cakes. I just made sure you didn't get killed and now I'm going to get you home.”

“You didn't help.” I groused.

“You didn't need my help, girl.” She answered while picking me up in arms that had no business being that strong as slender as they looked. “Now let's get you home.”

* * * *

I don't remember that trip home, or how I ended up in my own bed, or how the escape ladder got put away, or anything.

I woke up in pain, but not quite as bad as it had been earlier and noticed that the sun was shining and up high enough to be well past noon. Oh boy, I never slept that long. Someone was bound to notice, then notice other things, too.

Oops, they already had.

Aunt Cecily and Uncle Patrick were in my room looking both worried and a little angry.

“What are we going to do with you?” My aunt asked while gently touching my bandaged middle.

I winced at the lance of pain that brought on and she pulled her hand back with a look of apology. Then looked to my bandaged hand. “Want to tell us what happened?”

“Uhh...”

“You WILL tell us, you know.” My aunt told me with a certainty that made me sure I would be doing just that in a very short time.

That uncomfortable moment was interrupted when someone I recognized as one of our security people knocked on the door and spoke briefly with my uncle. He listened while giving me odd glances, then nodded as the other man left.

Uncle Patrick kept watching me, especially my bandaged middle and hand. Uh oh.

“It seems that the Hunters to the north of town are in an uproar just now.” He started. “One of them was killed last night. With his own weapon.

“Would you know anything about that?” He asked almost mildly while again looking at my bandaged hand.

“Well... Yeah?” I responded a little cautiously.

“Would you mind being a bit more specific here?” He asked while his eyes bored into me. “As in telling us what happened?”

They knew the Hunters were in the campground too? Man, was I the only one in town who hadn't known that?

“Well,” I took in a deep breath, then spilled my guts. I'd never do well if I got arrested and interrogated. Dang it.

Once I was finished the silence in the room was thick enough to cut with a spoon.

“So let me get this straight.” My uncle finally said quietly. “You sneaked out the house and grounds, found the hunters and were close enough to listen in on their conversations. Then you got caught and killed one of them with his own weapon? A magically enchanted silver weapon?”

“I think so?” I shrugged and winced at the pain that gesture caused me. “It hurt really bad when it cut me, and burned when I took it from him. I had to do something or he was going to kill me!”

“You got cut by a thing like that and even handled it after that?” Aunt Cecily questioned a bit incredulously.

“Yes.” I nodded. “He would have killed me if I hadn't taken it from him and he was just about to holler for help. I had to do something.”

My aunt just nodded without a word until she looked at me again. “If you were hurt as badly as it looks, just how did you get home and back into your bed? Not to mention how you ended up bandaged with a healing salve on your wounds?”

“I had help.” I admitted. At least to the bandaging and getting home part of things.

“Obviously.” Uncle Patrick put in then asked the question I really didn't want to answer. “Who helped you?”

“I'd really prefer not to answer that one.” I closed my eyes knowing that wasn't going to work.

“Cynthia Anne Harper!” My aunt didn't shout, but her voice had the same force as if she had, and using my full name was a sign that I wasn't going to get away with this one for a minute.

“It was Dani.” I sighed hating how quickly I'd caved in on that one. “One of Carmilla's girls.”

They weren't horrified, just thoughtful.

“Well, stranger alliances have been forged when the Hunters are around.” My aunt nodded, as did my uncle. “Now what, I wonder, do they want for this?”

“They haven't asked for anything from me.” I answered quite honestly.

“Well, having one of us who can actually handle silver and enchanted weapons around would be a pretty good reason for keeping you safe.” My uncle sighed.

Aunt Cecily had left for a minute but returned with pots, jars, and more bandages.

I need to look at how badly you're hurt and change the bandages.” She told me.

That was going to hurt, I just knew it. But nodded.

Oh, by the way.” I asked as she was unwinding the bandages from my middle, “what's a grail?”

Sheesh. You'd have thought I was announcing the end of world there from their reactions.

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I absolutely love the Sang Froid of this gal

'What's a grail?'

Too bad they were not drinking anything as you can virtually see the spit-take happening if that were the case.

I am enjoying every chapter of this tale, absolutely :)

Kim

grail...

or Holy Grail?
she sure stirred it up with that question.
great story here, thanks

I have the strange idea that

I have the strange idea that whatever they pour from the grail into the water reservoir won't be good for the hidden.

Well... the tension grows.
Maggie, thank you for writing this captivating story.

Beyogi

Yay!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Nothing wrong with a girly eeeek! when vampires sneak up on you. There are comedy vampires, sparkly vampires, porno vampires, space vampires, classic vampires and now we have saracastic, smartass vampires. I like Dani. There is a certain amusing sadism in how she reacts to the trouble Cindy seems to draw.

So now we have the 'Grail'. It will be interesting to see your take on it Maggie, assuming the 'Grail' is as in the 'Holy Grail'. And also assuming that Cindy ever gets ungrounded after her escapades so that she might investigate the matter further. :-)

Thank you for another enjoyable chapter.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

My favorite funny vampire is...

You remember the second in command in the Buffy movie- before the actual tv series came out. I though the way that he died was especially funny- like a dance(it was hillarious).

Lothos

Enemyoffun's picture

His name was Lothos---its really really sad that I know that lol :)

Wasn't it Amilyn or something

Played by Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman)

I just remember him being told to clap and the longest death scene ever.

DOH!

Enemyoffun's picture

*Smacks forehead* Lothos was the head vampire played by Rutger Hauer.

Vampire death scene

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Both Rutger Hauer (Lothos) and Paul Ruebens (Amilyn) hammed their way through the entire Buffy movie. Paul Rueben's probably has the best death scene in the history of movies. :-D

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Coooooool!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we're going to exciting new places.

I also can't believe (cont.)...

Okay then. Another excellent chapter Mags. You have the spy-thriller thing going on in spades. Although... After all of that action and exposisition, you still manage to leave us in suspence at the end of teh chapter. You have no idea how mad I am at you for this, ya big meanie butt, and all I can hope for is that you keep it up! *wink* lol

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Singing to the Moon

As stated this is now a good spy thriller, even cloak and dagger.
One delights that Cindy is not a victim, that she was able to handle the Silver

Is Cindy the "child",
I take the grail to be something the hunters hold holy, (am I on the right track Maggie?
I am sure the answer is in reading on)
But true to their character (the Grail) probably not for the blood or wine of someone divine.
The world takes more joy in the blood of others.
They (we) don't have the vision to see others as sisters/brothers.
It is neat that the wolves, coyotes, bears and others are not seen as pure or self-righteous

Handling Silver tends to taint the ones who use it.
It does not bleed and blood can be wiped from it,
But that blood of death does taint the heart and soul of the user.

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Seriously...

I'm not going ot say it this time, only because I've already said it and i don't want to wear the words out here. But I *am* still looking for that "Kudo the Koment" button... *looks over at Erin and Piper... (jk)*

I finally figured out the word I've been looking for to describe your comments. You sound like one of those Greek Oracles making a prophesy.

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Maggie's the Oracle

I feel like Maggie's the Oracle, Shamman, Sage

I do feel like I see or hear Maggie at a deeper level, but I am grasping at straws to understand. She's an artist painting pictures with words that hold images and wisdom that runs deep

It would be neat to hear from Maggie, she's the holder of the sotry.
Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

You have a talent for naive understatement.

Lol, I like your writing so much. These comic breaks just add so much to the plot. Thank you so much.

"What's a grail?" ROTFLMAO

Gwendolyn

So Mags...

I take it you're a fan of "Fate: Stay/Night" ehhh? ;-)

Oh dear Lord, Maggie...

What'd ya go and state up this time? lol (jk)

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Oh...

Just one of my usual stories?

Maggie

Well...

I can see that. *le sigh* Should have warned me. I'd have prepped the nuclear fallout shelter for the aftermath of it. lol ;)

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

The Holy Grail?

We've already got one of those.

Past tense

It's more: "had a holy grail".

IIRC someone called M Python made off with it...

Xi

Sheesh!

I come back after a few days' break to discover three new chapters to read through!

So, Cynthia's performed a spot of espionage, killed a Hunter with his own weapon, been rescued by Dani and discovered she's resistant (but not completely immune) to silver. I suspect the latter might have something to do with Lady Moon, and wouldn't be surprised if her positive relationship with Terry, Carmilla and Danni remains even after the Hunter problem has been dealt with. Given the Hunters have a serious weapon in their midst in the form of the Grail, it may require a strategic alliance between many of the different "Unseen" factions within Ravencrest to get rid of them.

 

Find me on Google+ | Examine EAFOAB Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Singing to the Moon

Darkness and Light hold meaning but not to be assumed under general definitions
there are more powers and spirits than many presume
understanding, various covenants, like our own identities can take unexpected turns
wisdom may be seen as coming from unexpected,non-traditional places

Keeping mind open

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Ahhh.

I assumed you had watched the Anime given the Grail reference and it's less then good inferences. Anyone ever want a really "interesting" take on the Grail watch the Anime or read the Manga of "Fate: Stay/Night".

I've heard of it before...

But I've just never gotten around to actually watching/reading it yet. It does sound interesting, though. Thanks for the tip. ;)

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

I haven't said this in a

I haven't said this in a while, so I will say it again, just so you'll remember. I love you.

This story is hysterical. Cindy is funny as hell, stumbling into things just like the Coyote of legend. The others she has met have all been fun as well. I love her sister. There is just so very much to love about this story.

You are an awesome writer. True facts.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

They would solve so many problems

If they just clued her in on what the heck is happening.

That being said, I officially am in love with that girl! :)

Well written, Maggie!

Peace!
Cindilee

Singing to the Moon Chapter 6

Grail could be the Holy Grail: the Cup used by Jesus Christ at the first Communion.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Evolution

Is she a new step forward in were evolution.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna