TV Trouble

Printer-friendly version

We all know what TV means don't we?

TV Trouble

Robyn Hoode

She’s volatile and a trouble maker. At least that’s what George had told me at the shop that morning. I’d been to the house before, but only to deliver the set and she’d been a bit fussy then. She’d put newspaper on the floor all the way to the table where she wanted it installed and had stood by with a duster in her hand as I’d shown her how to switch it on and demonstrated how to get the different programmes. Only two in those far off days — BBC or ITV and no colour, of course; that came much later.

She was obsessed with dust, or the fight against it. There'd been a coal fire laid in the grate unlit. I was sure each piece of coal was individually selected, washed and dusted before being laid over a dozen identical sticks of firewood and neatly rolled sheets of … I looked, and sure enough, it was the Daily Mail. With the window tightly shut and despite the busy main road just the other side of the tiny front garden, the room had been eerily quiet and smelt of musty airlessness and lavender.

I pulled up outside, picked up my tools and the case of spare valves I always carried and knocked on Mrs Williams door. It was opened almost immediately by a small, bird-like woman of indeterminate age, wisps of grey hair poked out from a head scarf wound as a turban, and she wore a floral pinafore tightly wrapped round her thin, shapeless body. But the most striking feature was her eyes. They were a cold bright blue and seemed to penetrate right into my brain. I felt she knew what I was thinking, whilst fervently hoping she didn’t.

“Oh, it’s you is it? You’d better come in. Don’t forget to wipe your feet. I don’t want dirty footprints on my clean floor.” She stood aside as I stepped over the threshold, first onto the bristly door mat, and then onto the first page of the previous day’s Evening Post. “It’s not been right since you left it.” Two months ago, I thought. “That Richard Dimbleby looks fat, and he says he can’t tell the colour of the balls when he’s watching snooker.” 'He' wouldn’t, I thought, it’s black and white, and Dimbleby really is fat.

The line of newspaper pages led into the front room, still smelling of musty lavender, with the TV on its flimsy table. She’d followed me in and stared suspiciously as I set down my tool box and the case on yet more newspaper.

“It’s the picture valve.” She said. “Mrs Andrew's son told me, and he ought to know; he’s an electrician down the pit.” I grunted and wondered why Mrs Andrew’s son hadn’t mended it then. “The sound's all right. Well as right as it ever is. I can hardly tell what they’re saying sometimes. It’s those American programmes. English televisions don’t play them very well.”

I waited for the set to warm up and wondered if she’d noticed I hadn’t said a word. I was still having problems with my voice. The sound came on slowly, reaching a deafening volume before I turned it down. The old biddy or 'he' must be deaf as a post. There was no raster. The screen remained obstinately dark. Well perhaps the pit electrician was right. I looked at all the glass ornaments displayed on the top of the shiny, waxed wooden cabinet and spoke for the first time.

“I’ll have to take the back off. Do you think you could clear the ornaments? I don’t want to break any.” Much, I added under my breath. George always called them trinklements and hated them as much as I did.

As she cleared her glass menagerie I opened my case and selected a 30P4 valve. With a bit of luck I’d be out of there in fifteen minutes. I quickly removed the back, just four screws, and identified the culprit. A quick swap and I switched on again and watched amused as she was torn between dusting the innards of her TV and staring at the screen. With relief I saw the screen brighten and the test card displayed. It was too early for programmes — job done.

It was as I was finally replacing the back that it happened. As I stood up, the skirt of my overall coat swung out and swept a whole family of china Disney characters onto the hard lino covered floor. She went berserk. I’d heard the expression verbal diarrhoea, but she was totally incontinent, and then she leapt at me. I think she was only going to grab my sleeve, but I’ve always had a short fuse and that set me off. I like to keep my nails longish and I’d given myself a manicure the previous evening. The bright red varnish meant the blood didn’t show where I’d run my nails deeply into her arm. I picked up my things and ran for the door.

“You’ve not heard the last of this.” I shouted above the sharp sound of my high heels as I ran for my van. “That’s assault, that is and I’ll not stand for it. You want trouble, well you’ve come to the right woman to get it.” I jumped into the pink van with legend ‘LadyLike TV and Electrical Repairs’ (We were very proud of our company name) and sped down the road. I wondered what Georgina would say when I got back.

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I knew it was coming

but the twist still took me by surprise! Nice!
Hugs
Grover

Robyn! Did you hear about

The TV addict.

He kept having Disney spells!!

Da! Da!

PS. Fun-ney Story!

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I knew it! I just knew it!!!

Andrea Lena's picture

It’s those American programmes. English televisions don’t play them very well.

I suppose it's the metric conversion? Maybe there's something wrong with the TRANS-mitter?

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Nah,

It's cause us yanks use good sturdy basic vacuum tubes, those fancy valves the brits insisted on putting in their sets found the signal too coarse and unrefined.

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once - Albert Einstein

Sequel

I suppose the sequel will be "The Trani Sistor Set"
Reminds me of Nottingham in the early 60's.

Nice one Robyn

Kerry

Ha! I like the title.

Maybe it reminds you of Nottingham in the 1960s because it's Nottingham in the 1950s (late 1950s) I haven't repaired a TV professionally since 1961 but I had customers just like this in real life.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Robi

confused

I didn't see anything tg about the story but I won't fault that as it is not REALLY a necessity from what I've seen.

I AM confused about the comments referring to a twist... One that was not obvious to a Canadian born and raised in the 60s

The clues are ...

... in a few places but perhaps a bit obscure. I was a bit worried that I'd been a bit too vague. First, the unnamed protagonist's colleague is referred to as George at the beginning and as Georgina at the end (after George in the Famous Five books). Then there's the throw away line about still having difficulty with her voice. Lastly there's the name of the company of which she's so proud - "Ladylike TV and Electrical repairs".

Thanks for the comment :)

Robi

ahh I see

I grew up with a girl by name of Georgette, everyone called her George for years so I never made the connection

TV Trouble

Cute

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Some of these comments remind me of

when I taught the Dewey Underwater Log at the IC and EM advanced electrical and electronic maintenance school. We had one student who after failing out, went in to the training unit and gave every three lead, silver canned, discreet device, a full half turn. Needless to say the next time the unit was powered up it failed the smoke test.

When questioned as to why they had done it the following was presented "that thing kind of reminded me of a ghetto blaster so I decided to tune in some "Twisted Zister"

Yo-Ho-Ho and a bottle of 30P4

Didn't Chanel make one similar?

Back in the days when a real Hi-Fi amplifier had a pair of KT88's in push-pull....Or the poor man put up with a pair of EL34's or even EL84's. We called 'vacuum tubes' bottles then.

I loved the story; it brought back memories of my first boyfriend - a shame he didn't realize that he was at the time; he was gorgeous!

Susie

I have siblings.

Extravagance's picture

Does that make ME a transistor? :D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Lost my valves...

Angharad's picture

...years ago. Um all this technical stuff - as far as I was and still am concerned, a telly is something you switch on and watch.

I'm surprised Mrs Williams didn't ask you to clean out all the dead indians 'cos her hubby like cowboy films.

Nice one Robi.

Hugs,

Angharad.

Angharad

Letting her off too lightly

Hi Robyn,

It's great to see you writing again.

Mrs W is too realistic for me. She brings back memories of a period in my life when I was trying to find my feet (when I hadn't even got to the top of my legs!) She makes me shudder, and I do think you were letting her off too lightly by merely gouging her arm.

Good story, I enjoyed it. Please, can we have some more?

Charlotte