Timeout 4- Reel to Real - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Leah and Joanie escape death with Miki's help but are not sure how. A radio conversation with strange call signs leads to a rest stop and a revelation. Joanie and the MCO clash again. Leah is reunited, briefly, with her parents. A bumpy flight to Oahu leads to dinner, a night of drunken sex, surfing, TV, singing and shopping. I'm not saying who does what.

Andy Warhol said,"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes." What if your 15 minutes came late in life, and fame decided to never let you go? Could you survive the circus your life would become?

Timeout 4, Reel to Real: A Whateley Academy Fan fiction

This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out either Sapphire's Place,

(http://www.sapphireplace.com/stories/whateley.html) or the Big Closet (http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/taxonomy/term/117)."

Here’s another chapter in part four of my TG/sci-fi/superhero/magic/one-size-fits-all epic. It’s not that bad; I do have an overall story arc in mind, honest. I’m much better than when I started this, though my grammar and spelling remain flawed; ask Itinerant if he is still coherent. (wibble - WIBBLE!!) Oh, dear! The speaking in tongues is ... fascinating, Itinerant. Here’s a nice str ... striped jacket for you. Let me help you into it. Don’t worry, the sleeves will ride up with wear. (Sorry, the buckles chafe!)

Your constructive criticism and advice continues to help. This is an exercise in the joys of creativity and in appreciation of the wonderful Whateley Universe. Any violations of copyright, trade mark or use of real people or incidents are purely for purposes of humor or parody and done solely for the free enjoyment of the reading public. All rights reserved in perpetuity, John from Wauwatosa WI, 2005-2007.

Adult content advisory: this chapter contains situations and topics unsuitable for young minds or your sanity. There is also some adult content written by a middle-age juvenile mind. You were warned.

Timeout 4

By John from Wauwatosa
Verb verification by Itinerant, verily
Wailing and gnashing of teeth by Janet Nolan of GEBPR
Special thanks to Rose_2 and Karen_J for their helpful suggestions

Chapter 7, Hana, HI 96713 -- Leah 2, Miki 5 -- A Night to Remember, The Devil’s Radio, Lord Almighty!

SW of Hana on the Pililiani Hwy and on to Kahului, Maui, Hawaii; Honolulu and Waikiki Beach, Oahu, Hawaii, May 05-May 06, 2007

May 05, 2007

* * * *

“Shit! Leah, duck and cover your head. Miki, if you can do anything to help us, do it now. You have free use of all my magic.” We were closing on the men fast. I knew we might not make it past them and that was my optimism speaking to me. We had to face the facts. We were temporarily out of range of the people at the barricade, but if these two disabled the car, or I was severely wounded, poor Leah was all but dead and maybe me, too. They had clean lines-of-fire at what would be point-blank range. We were dog meat. I’m tough, but blast me enough times with a shotgun and set fire to the car, and I don’t like my chances.

My mind was racing for solutions and finding nothing. I shouted, “Why don’t you all just go home and think this over? Leah is innocent; why would you want to hurt her?” Then with every fiber of my being I thought and said, “If you Humans First fanatics became mutants, what would you think of your vaunted *purity* then? Ah, go fuck yourselves.” Where this came from -- this vitriol combined with unnatural clarity of thought and will -- I haven’t a clue. Pure frustration, I suppose.

The moment I spoke, my twisted muse flashed this image of ... I am *so* embarrassed, but in my defense I was under stress and not thinking straight. The image in my mind was silly and more than a little hot sexually speaking. The *vision* was incendiary to be honest. My senses blurred for a moment then turned sharper than they’ve ever been. For a moment it was like I had two sets of everything. My senses were hypersensitive. I felt my tail and whiskers twitching, my clothing brushing against my skin and my two huge upper breasts jiggling as we tore down the road. There was this momentary glow, and the two gunmen dropped to the ground, writhing.

This made no sense as I was looking ahead down the road, but I was looking back at the mob; I couldn’t do both simultaneously, could I? At the time I thought nothing of it and *filed* it for later. I was ecstatic, surprised, relieved and needed to mate and soon. The sensations from my tail and whiskers faded; I was confused. I remembered seeing the gunmen collapse, then my view to the rear stopped abruptly.

~~Good going, Miki. You put our attackers out of commission. ~~ I felt sleepy and weak, then felt absolutely nothing, but it passed quickly. I was lucky not to pass out behind the wheel. Fortunately this whole sequence took but a second or two, or we’d have been in the ditch.

“Joanie, Miki’s sick! She’s gone all limp. She’s dying, I just know it!”

“Leah, are we being followed?”

“No, the crowd is breaking up, and no one is coming after us. I don’t understand.”

“I’ll stop and check Miki out, but you watch for trouble.”

I slowed and pulled off to the side, then shifted the transmission into park but left the motor running. I leaned over and touched Miki. I felt a jolt of pain from a mind struggling to come to consciousness. I could feel her tiny heart beating. Leah was crying.

“Miki’s alive but unconscious, Leah. Wake up, Miki; you have us worried. For Leah and me, please wake up,” I said and thought to her. She stirred once, but remained otherwise unresponsive. I got an insight I hoped would help.

“Miki, as your mistress I command you to wake up immediately!” I said/thought forcefully, but I winked at Leah.

~~Mistress ... forgive me, the magic overwhelmed me, ~~ she said to my mind and opened her eyes. She was lethargic, but reasonably alert.

“Good. I hoped your dedication to duty would get your attention, dear friend. Leah, please give Miki some water and anything else she requests. Let her lick it off your fingers if necessary. She’s exhausted from accessing our magic. I’ll keep guard.”

Leah was much happier, and in minutes Miki was back to normal and having something to eat. Meanwhile, I’d shut off the engine and inspected the car for damage. The rear window and the driver's-side mirror were the only damage I could see, and there was no evidence of leaking fluids of any kind. I was worried they’d hit the fuel tank, and we would catch fire or be left stranded. Once I was convinced the car was safe, I chugged most of a sports drink and felt energized. We got going after several minutes, but no one came after us. I drove at a fast, but sane, clip.

“Miki and you ... it was awesome ... You worked magic, wow! I saw you and Miki glow, even though I had my head tucked down tight like you said. That must have been the magic. What did you do? I thought we were gonna get shot by those men, Joanie.”

“I’d go back and look, but I don’t have a death wish. Miki, do you know what happened back there? Can *Uber Mongoose’s* senses reach back that far?” I imagined Miki in a wind-swept cape, boots and a big red U on her chest. I heard a squeak and felt a wave of joy, almost giggles, hit me.

~~Joanie, are you being silly?~~

~~A little, my friend. What did you do to get us out of that trap? Those gunmen couldn’t have missed. At best we would have gotten cut up badly, and at worst ... I don’t like to think of that.~~

~~It was both of us, Joanie. I tried to make them not see us. I am good at concealing myself, and I had hoped to conceal us or confuse the bad men. I wished to trick them into shooting where we weren’t. I tried accessing your magic like I would with Kushala. I do not understand what happened, but we became as one. This has never happened to me, to be completely at-one with my mistress. I saw out of your eyes and felt your feelings. It was like what I, we felt when I met your mate last night but much more so. There was this image in our mind and the magic poured through me. The power was beyond my abilities. It was too much and all went dark.~~

~~ I surmised that much and am happy you were not hurt. But what happened to the gunmen?~~

Miki’s emotions were a swirling mix of amazement, pride, good humor and major guilt.

~~Joanie, the misled people were freed of their confusion. They returned home to contemplate why they wished to harm innocents.~~

~~And the gunmen ... the hard core anti-mutants ... the bad guys?~~

~~Not guys, more like Mistress Pinky ... ~~ Miki thought to me. She *felt* embarrassed.

~~You turned the Humans First creeps into hermaphrodites?~~

~~I don’t know the term hermaphrodites. They are like your changeling *sister*, Miss Pinky, when she is of both natures. I *saw* for a moment as the magic transformed them. They are attractive women in appearance and ... *receptive* ... in season? ~~ I got another surge of embarrassment from Miki. She was clearly uncomfortable with what had happened.

~~I remember saying they should go fu ... you mean they can actually do *it* ?... They’ll go mad, or harm themselves, if they can’t stop! ~~ I was shocked, worried, secretly happy they had *got* theirs and turned on in a sick, perverted way.

~~The compulsion to mate will wear off in a few hours. Their bodies will remain as we changed them. They are not harmed in any other way, but they will no longer be a threat. ~~

“We changed them permanently? Can they get themselves pregnant?” I said out loud.

~~They will remember who they were, but they will be as they are now. They will not be welcome in their cult of hate. They are forever that which they despise, a mutant. I think we made them self-fertile, Joanie~~

“They might kill themselves!”

~~I do not know. They will have free will once the compulsion ends. You are concerned for them?~~

~~I don’t wish to harm anyone, even my enemies. Can we help them?~~

~~We are too far away, and I don’t know *how* we did it. I only know what happened to them. We would have to go back there to change them back, and I would have to access your magic. I don’t know how to control it. I have served many sorceresses; I never witnessed such power, Joanie. From what I sense now, we used but a fraction of your potential. ~~

~~That’s only a fraction of my potential power? Shit!~~~

“Help!” I whispered.

* * * *

I radioed what had happened. The Marine commander assured me help would be sent to the town ASAP.

“Melons One to Blonde One. If your report is correct, they should be safe for a few hours, until the compulsion wears off. We will have help there long before that. I’ll remind my Marines not to take advantage of the over-sexed suspects.” Melons One laughed. “My Marines are a fine unit and will act as the professionals they are. There will be no mistreatment of prisoners; likewise they will insure there are no suicides, I promise you. I am surprised and delighted you harbor no ill will, Blonde One. I saw your bloody uniform top before it was bagged as evidence. I would not be so forgiving under similar circumstance, but then I’m a combat veteran. Melons One, over,” the Marine officer radioed back.

“Blonde One to Mar ... Melons One. If someone shot at us, they must face the law. I will testify, including how and why they were transformed, if necessary. If it exposes me to more publicity, who cares? We were justified in our actions; it happened because we were in a hopeless situation. My magic *expert* hasn’t a clue how to undo it, so they are stuck. Thanks for your help. Tell the State Troopers commander, um Pineapple One -- sorry, these code names are hard to keep straight -- on the other side we’re coming. Blonde One, over.”

Leah nudged me and looked at me expectantly. “Blonde One to Melons One. Do you have info on Le … Surfer One’s family? She’s worried ... and I am going to strangle the idiot who picked my call sign. Blonde One, over.”

“Melons One to Blonde One. It could be worse. I personally said no to *Melons*. I think that’s why I’m stuck with it, Blonde One. We can count our blessings; *Miss July* was seriously in the running -- sorry. Tell Surfer One her family is through the worst of the narrow road. They were shot at once, but the vehicle armor was effective. There is a delay; Someone tried to blow up a bridge, but succeeded only in killing them selves and littering the road with shrapnel. The mess is being cleared away as we speak. Her family will reach safety soon....”

“Mom and Dad are okay?!” Leah shouted into the radio.

“That must be Surfer One. They are fine; your whole family is fine, Miss. Trust what Blonde One tells you; she and her *K9* have done well. So have you; you are one brave young woman. If you ever think of entering the service, call me. I would gladly recruit you. Semper fi, Surfer One and Blonde One. Melons One, out.”

* * * *

The road on the south end of Maui is increasingly deserted, the further south and west you travel from Hana. There are few settlements of note, due to the lack of any decent harbors. The road became narrower, and a significant section was unpaved due to its remoteness. We drove with the windows open because of the loss of our rear window, so it was a bit like being in a convertible. We kept an eye out for trouble, but slowly relaxed as no one appeared to be following us or attempting to block our way. Miki kept up her vigilant scanning, and reassured me we were safe ... for now. I spotted a small roadside park and pulled over so we could stretch, go to the bathroom, and generally get ourselves back together after the craziness earlier. Driving like that quickly dehydrates you, so a stop was welcome for many reasons.

I let Leah use the facilities first, while I kept watch. They were nothing fancy, just good old pit toilets, but then beggars can’t be choosers. Miki took advantage of a nearby boulder to obtain some privacy for her long neglected needs.

“Ladies? You two okay?” I called out.

“I’m almost done, Joanie. Um, there isn’t much tissue in here. Thought I’d better tell you before you found out the hard way.”

“Thanks, Leah, I’ll check the men’s toilet. It’s not like I’m not used to going in there.”~~Miki, are you okay?~~

~~ I’m fine, Joanie, the smells and sights here are strange, yet familiar. It reminds me of parts of my homeland, India.~~

~~You miss your old home, Miki? I could take you there someday. Of course you are always welcome to stay with me, my furry one.~~

~~I would like that, but only if you are with me. Where you are is my home.~~

I smiled and gave her a mental hug, then my bladder reminded me I had ignored it for long enough.

“Leah, I need to go, now!”

“I’m just finishing, Joanie.”

Moments later she came out, and I ran into the 'facility.' I forgot what she’d said and entered the ladies. Leah was right.

“Euwww, no paper.”

I rushed out, and I slipped into the men’s to the amusement of my traveling companions. I did my business and cleaned up. I got to thinking about Eric and began to daydream what it would be like to be traveling with him. The more I imagined, the better I felt. I got to feeling *really* good, you know? I wasn’t touching myself, honest; I’m blessed with a powerful imagination. I got this message from Miki.

~~Joanie, please, no more.~~

~~Huh-wha?~~

~~When you think of your mate, Eric, the emotions are strong. I am not used to these feelings. It is so long since I was ... I feel odd .... This is impossible!~~

I finished my business and washed my hands with one of the moist towelette packets the National Park Officer had included with our supplies.

I was walking out of the toilet, when I felt weak and almost collapsed in ecstasy. A wave of desire washed over me, and I became intensely aroused. I fought to stay focused and leaned against the door frame for support. The sensations were Wonderful and kept coming! ~~Miki?!~~

~~Forgive me, I ... I am in season. It cannot be! I have not been this way since before Kushala journeyed on the man raft ... steam ship you would say.~~

~~I am sorry, Miki. I did not know I was upsetting you. You have been alone for so long, I believe I understand your pain. I will try not to fantasize so much.~~

~~Thank you, but I sense it will not be easy for you. Please understand my difficulty, I love you as I loved all my mistresses, but I miss my own kind.~~

We all stretched our legs, drank some bottled water and generally relaxed. We served Miki some water in that empty tuna can. I was concerned as she could not easily drink while we were driving, and I did not want her in distress. The last few hours had been tense, and the short break was therapeutic. I let us rest for fifteen minutes or so, and was about to suggest we get going again, when Miki came up to me and made an odd request. I sensed she did this after much soul-searching, and she was embarrassed to bother me. She rose up on her haunches and made a slow, formal bow. She had my full attention.

~~Joanie, Mistress Joanie ... this is difficult ... I ... I request your leave to seek a male for companionship.~~

~~You want to get laid?~~ I replied and giggled. My inner *blonde* choose that moment to take over.

~~Laid?~~

~~I’m sorry, that was crude. You desire sexual relations ... What I want with Eric, but don’t dare have until he is older? You know, how a male and a female make babies together?~~

~~Please Joanie. I have been without so long I forgot how much it meant to me. I must have it; this is my first chance since Kushala left the old country.~~

~~Miki, what if you get pregnant? That is your right, of course, and I would support you. Understand, dear, it is illegal to import mongoose into the United States because your species can be destructive to the local animals. You are protected as my familiar, but your children would not be.~~~

~~ I can control my fertility with my magic. You need not fear for my children.~~ I felt Miki sigh from disappointment..

~~Ghods, you want to have children, don’t you. It’s your choice, Miki, but be careful. Before we leave Hawaii, I’ll make sure you get the opportunity. Do be careful; there are poisons people put out to kill nuisance animals, and there are cars and trucks to be aware of. There may even be diseases your fellow mongoose harbor that you have no resistance to. ~~

~~I am protected. Thank you for your concern. I long for what you have. Whenever you think of your mate, Eric, the sensations make me so sad that I have no chance of a mate at Whateley.~~

So my Miki is a furry romantic. I’m much the same. You will get your night of bliss, little one -- I promise.~~

* * * *

We got in the car and drove off. We would soon catch up with our police escort, so I felt happier.

“Leah, you know about me; I’m sure Mel gave you an earful.” Leah suppressed a snicker. “I’ll gladly answer any questions you have, but tell me about you. I know of your mutation and the troubles you’ve had, but I know almost nothing about you. What do you like to do? Who’s your best friend? Do you have a crush on someone special? Do you play sports? That sort of thing.”

“You really want to know about me, Joanie?”

“How can I be a friend and help you, if I don’t understand you? It’s obvious you’re going to be part of my *family* at Whateley, so I’d better get to know my baby sister. You know about me from the press, from Mel, and the fan-club web site. I’ll gladly answer any question you want, but what about you, Leah? What do you like about school; what’s your favorite subject? Are you interested in boys or girls? What do you want to do when you’re an adult? What do you like to do in your free time and stuff like that?”

“I like school, and I’m good in math and science. History is okay and writing and spelling and such. I don’t let the boys intimidate me, even the cute ones like David. I’m too young to date, but I like boys, I think. I like tennis and swimming, and I surf. I’ve done it since I was eight, and I’m pretty good too. Mom taught me; she was a competitive surfer in her day. I wish I could show you her trophies. I have a cousin who was teaching me to wind surf. Oh yeah, I like to chat with my friends at the Joanie Fan Club,” she said and giggled.

“Do you have a lot of friends?” ~~David?~~

“Not a huge bunch, because Hana’s a small town and the school is small, but I have friends, had friends, I guess. I don’t know if I’ll ever see them again. My mutation scared some away ‘cause I look so much older. When my power kicked in that scared the rest away, and I don’t blame them. Maybe we could be friends again, but with the shooting....”

“If they are true friends, they will be your friends again, Leah. I had to give up my old friends when I changed and became famous. I’m too much of a danger to them, so I think I understand.”

Leah thought for a moment, then looked at me with an intensity that astounded me. What she said was more shocking.

“Joanie, you said something on our web chat that I’ve been thinking about. You said what had been done to me made us *family*? You said something similar a moment ago, too.”

“I meant what I said, Leah; you are family. Jeese, how can I explain it? Leah, two of my best friends, Tom and Tina Smith, had their mutations triggered by the same stuff that was used on you, the Ultra-X-Amine homolog. And Suzy Kenner, that’s the girl I helped rescue from Lake Wisconsin earlier this year? She’s also a victim of Ultra-X and also my good friend. I don’t like people hurting others, and illegal experiments are disgusting in the extreme to me. You are family, Leah, never doubt it. We may have met under bad circumstances, but we have good things in common too, like being warpers who can stop time. Though our mutations were triggered by different causes, we are both mutants; that gives us a lot in common.”

“Uh-huh. Mel says you like cartoons and stuff? I really like Lilo and Stitch, the movie? The TV cartoons are okay, but I like the original most. There’s this line in it about ‘ohana. It stuck with me because it sounds like my hometown, I mean my old town now, Hana and ... “

“What’s wrong? Are you crying Leah? It’s okay if you are; I hated leaving my home too, but we’ll make you a new home -- my friends and I. One for all and all for one, you understand?”

“Excuse me ... I ... It hurts, you know? What I was trying to say was, when I was a little girl my favorite film was Lilo and Stitch. There is this Hawaiian word they used, ‘ohana. It means family, but in the bigger sense of your extended family and even close friends. How did it go, ‘ Ê»Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind ... or forgotten.’ Did you really mean that when you said I was family?”

I pulled over to the side of the road, stopped the car and took her face gently in my hands. I looked deep into her eyes.

“I meant every word. Like I said before, we are both mutants and girls, right?” She nodded. “We both have warper powers and can manipulate time, right?” She nodded again. “You, Tom, Tina and my blood relative Suzy were all victims of the same unscrupulous experimenters. Leah, last Halloween I was kidnapped with the intention of being sold to similar degenerates, probably to be dissected for my mutant secrets. That gives us common ground. Plus Miki likes you, so you’re in, Girrrl. That makes us sisters or at least cousins to my way of thinking. What do you say, Leah?”

“’Ohana it is, my beautiful ... cousin -- I don’t think we’re sisters yet, but I’ll work on it.” She smiled and giggled a bit.

“Let's have a beautiful cousins hug and get going again, okay?”

We hugged and soon were back on our way.

* * * *

The road was improving in quality; the gravel was behind us, and the road itself wider and less winding. Leah and I engaged in occasional idle chat. We continued talking about her background and occasionaly mine. Leah got excited all-of-a-sudden.

“Whoa, wait a miniute! Rewind! You said Suzy is your blood relative and that she’s the girl you saved from drowding?”

“Her mom is my first cousin. She sees me as a favorite aunt, though technically that makes us second cousins. I’m overdue to help her with her powers training. She’s a mimic and needs to try copying a warper -- that’s someone like you or me, Leah. You want to help?”

“You’d trust me with your, um, niece?”

“Sure. She a tough girl and sexy sweet; you’ll like her. Just don’t get cozy with Tom; he’s her boyfriend. Suzy has a jealous streak, not that she would hurt anyone. I guess it runs in the family, because I feel that way some times about my boyfriend. We can talk about all this later. Rest or talk about yourself, whatever. We should be with our police escort in minutes.”

* * * *

We got to talking about Whateley and its facilites; Leah was understandably curious, as this would be where she would spend most of the next five years. Leah was impressed, but I noticed an air of sadness when I mentioned we were inland in the mountains of New Hampshire.

“I was hoping it was near the ocean so I could surf. I’d have to get different gear because of the cold water, but where there is an ocean there are waves, at least there can be.”

“Sorry about the lack of surfing at Whateley Academy, Leah, though I think one of the pools does have a wave generator. It won’t be the same, but we’ll find a way for you to have fun, I promise.

“Maybe I could take you out once, before we leave the islands? You’d like it; it’s fun, and you’d make all the girls jealous with your body.”

“Then we’d better do it, if we can. What do you think, a one-piece or bikini?”

“One-piece if you’re serious about surfing; two-piece if you want to make the girls jealous. Topless if you want to make the national news,” she said and laughed.

“What do I get if I surf naked?”

“Probably arrested, but the police will be very happy, if they are guys.”

“Leah!”

* * * *

We, well, I -- Leah doesn’t have a license, she is 13 after all -- drove for half-an-hour, until we saw the comforting presence of several police cruisers and a military Humvee. I parked and got out, after confirming they were who they appeared to be. After what had happened earlier, I was taking no chances. I smiled with relief once I was sure.

“I have never been so thrilled to see men in uniform!” I ran up to the nearest officer and nearly tackled him with a hug and kiss. I blushed and giggled, when I realized what I done. The reaction of the police -- all men, I might add -- was more visual in nature.

~~Oh yeah, my kind of a salute.~~ I didn’t say it out loud; I have some level of control. Admittedly not much but, hey, I was justified in being happy to meet them.

“Sorry about that. I thought you guys were used to women propositioning you to avoid arrest or beat a speeding ticket?”

“True, but then they are rarely as lovely as you, Ms. Brown,” a state police officer said, while trying to hide his ~~Oh my!~~... unsuccessfully I might add.

“My apologies. This is Leah, the young woman I was sent to help and now my friend.”

“Friend? Joanie, you are more than that. You saved my life; you will always be more than a friend. You risked your life for me. They shot you, and you worried about me and ignored yourself. I will never forget that. Mel said you were special; she was right.”

“Thanks, but I’m not that special, and you did darned good yourself, Leah. You should have seen how brave she was, Officer, and how she helped me when I was hurt. Enough of the mutual love-fest, girl, we’d better get going.”

I walked back to our car.

“No, Ms Brown. Ms. Haleakala and you are to ride in the Humvee; it’s armored.,” the senior police offer said.

~~This must be Pineapple One.~~ “That’s why we will ride in the rental car. The Humvee is too obvious. If anyone is laying an ambush, that is the vehicle they will expect us to be in.”

“But your back window is blown out, and a description of the car is circulating -- we’ve intercepted radio transmutations from Hana. Is that a bullet hole in your driver’s side mirror?”

“That’s why this car is perfect. The armored Hummer will draw any hostiles away from us and buy time, though I hope we won’t need that anymore.”

“Ms. Brown, I would be derelict in my duty if you and Ms. Haleakala travel exposed, when we have an armored vehicle at our disposal.”

This went on for several minutes. He wasn’t being *too* patronizing. He did have our safely in mind, but I am a stubborn girl and I *knew* I was right. I pulled rank on him.

“Okay, it’s agreed, Leah and I drive the Nissan while ...”

“Ms. Brown!”

“That is acting Hawaiian State Police Sergeant Joan Brown, and Leah and I *will* drive the Nissan,” I said sharply, then I added in my best *persuasive* voice, “Pretty please ... Officer?” I pouted and posed in this hips to one side, hand on hip, chest out, um, way out, licking my lips pose. Okay, I seduced him like a pro.

“All right, we’ll do it your way, and please stop doing that, Ms. Brown. You made your point, and my wife would be upset if she found a pretty young woman flirting with me.”

“I’m not seeing anyone; you can do that to me anytime,” said a young and rather handsome looking officer.

“Officer Jenkins!”

“That’s okay, he meant no harm ... You are most attractive, Jenky-wenky.”

He was, too, damn it.

We drove off with the wind in our hair, and not a lick of trouble other than a few occasions where younger men saw Leah and me at stoplights and the like. Their antics were entertaining, and I swore I saw Leah smile at a couple of the cuter guys.

* * * *

“Joanie, Mel told me lots about your powers and stuff while I waited for you to come and get me out of Hana. I know you can stop time like me, but Mel hinted you could do a lot more, and maybe I could, too, with your help.”

“Go on.” I wondered what Mel had told her. Mel was a smart girl, but might have gone too far, if she thought it would help Leah stay calm.

“She said you have these cats, very special cats. Smilodons. ”

“I do, so?”

“I’m a good student, and I read a lot. Smilodons are extinct. They died out thousands of years ago. You can’t have smilodons unless scientists did something with fossil remains like in that Jurassic Park movie. Or since you can stop time maybe you can ... I have to know, tell me. I won’t tell anyone, I promise!”

“I rescued the smilodons from their dead mother during the last surge of the Ice Age. They would have died nearly eleven-thousand years ago. I can time travel, with some limitations, but tell no one. Maybe you can too, but I don’t know. Be careful who you talk to about this, Leah, time travel is a power that could get you kidnapped or worse. It was tried with me, and they only knew of my time stop and regen.”

Leah thought for a moment, then started laughing.

“What’s funny, Leah?”

"I was thinking it would have been funny if you could have time-traveled the car and us to a couple days ago and driven right past the barricades because they weren’t there ... yet? Is something wrong? You’re scaring me, Joanie, answer me!””

I don’t remember anything much of the next few minutes; I was emotional and unsure of anything for a while. I have memories of shock followed by disgust with myself, then a complete lack of the will to do anything. I took my foot off the gas, and we coasted. We nearly went off the road until Leah got my attention enough that I pulled to the shoulder, stopped, and shut off the motor. I got it together enough to turn to her and speak. The voice that came out was at first unemotional and *dead*.

“I will get you to Whateley, but you must get a new friend and protector as I am useless. I put us both at risk of being killed and for what? Am I so vain, so superior, I thought my very presence would protect us? I could have done it easily, transporting us back a couple days, but I was too stupid to think of it. When I imagine what they would have done with you if we’d been caught ...” I broke down and sobbed. Maybe it was the stress catching up with me? I know I often have a delayed reaction to stress. This time I felt dirty, a waste of life.

Our escort noticed my stop and turned back. One of the officers came to my open driver’s window.

“What’s wrong, Joanie? Are you injured?”

“She’s stressed out from earlier. Give us a few minutes.” Leah was hugging me and doing anything else she could to calm and reassure me. She continued to minister to me for a considerable time, but I could not shake the feelings of worthlessness and sobbed unrelentingly.

Poor Miki was torn between keeping guard and comforting her ailing mistress. ~~Joanie, why torment yourself? I have been a familiar since long before we first glimpsed each other in 1858, and I did not think of it. I saw you in the past, and I knew you are a great time traveler. Blame me for not reminding you. You had too many duties to think of everything. You did not fail; you got Leah and me to safety. Kushala would have approved.~~

I replied out loud in my distress. “Miki, don’t you dare take the blame ...” I was still crying, but I was getting angry. “It was my failure, understand? It was mine, never yours you little upstart ... What the hell am I saying?” I was steaming mad at Miki taking the blame, “That was MY blame! …That was my blame, huh?” It dawned on me how ridiculous that idea was, and I started to laugh. I laughed until I was dizzy, and my sides ached.

“Thanks ladies. Silly, old Joanie needed a good cry. Let’s get going, shall we?" I started the car and the convoy was underway again.

* * * *

We arrived at the airport in Kahului, Maui, our gateway out of this mess. Our escort handed us over to a fresh group of officers after handshakes and a round of hugs from Leah and me; the boys and girls in uniform had earned them. Then they left us and returned the rental car. ~~I wish I could be there for that ... ‘I don’t see why we have to pay the full insurance deductible, there aren’t that many bullet holes.‘ ... Maybe someday I could travel back and ...~~

Our new escorts from the State Police led us through the doors and walked us to the security scanners. We got VIP treatment, meaning we were rushed through security, though we and our baggage were scanned, which I had no objection to. The MCO officer was all but salivating at the sight of me. Our escorting officers informed the MCO officer we were under their protection and were their responsibility. We were nearly through when the MCO officer decided to do his duty *to the letter.* He objected to Leah and my special treatment.

“I must protest! I see, by their ID and reputation, the women with you are notorious mutants. By international treaty, I must insure they are no threat. I will file a protest over this outrageous breaking of security protocols for *those two*. How can I do my duty if known dangerous mutants get escorted through my checkpoint as if they were visiting royalty? Msss. Brown is a devious woman of unknown loyalties, and questionable morals. Our Chicago office warned us how she manipulates those with weak minds ...”

”Are you nuts? Officer Brown, that’s right, *Officer* Brown is temporarily one of us. She is a fully deputized member of the Hawaiian State Police, and every insult you hurl at her is an insult to the Force and WE do not like it. We do not take kindly to *one of ours* being *inconvenienced*. She may be a temporary officer here to aid us in resolving a difficult and dangerous situation in Hana, but she has acquitted herself admirably for someone who is doing this purely as a favor. Now, be quiet and let us pass in peace, sir.”

I tried to reason with the man. Not all MCO officers were like Captain Touchy-Feely back at O'Hare, right?

“I sympathize with your need to do you duty, Officer. I agree mutants need to be tracked for the same reason any normal person who might present a potential hazard should be careful screened. That does not make everyone who is suspicious a terrorist, and that is equally true of mutants. I had a bad experience with an MCO officer at Chicago O’Hare, but I do not hold that bad apple against you or the MCO in general. I’m willing to submit to your screening, if you feel it necessary.

“I must point out Miss Leah is a far younger woman than she appears. With respect, I would ask to be present when she is examined if only to keep her calm and cooperative.” ~~There, I’ve put out a hand in friendship. ~~ "What do you say?”

“Huh?” ALL the officers gasped as I paused. I decided to act the peacemaker. It was worth a try.

I had him by the bal**... I mean I had him between a rock and a hard place. My escort had said he should back off or else, though not in those terms. I acknowledged the importance of his duty and offered to give up my privilege. What would he do?

“This is a trick and harassment; you all heard that *thing* insult me. I’m filing a protest. Oh, it was clever and sounded oh-so-nice, but that’s how these mutants subvert us.”

“I try to be nice by offering to voluntarily give up my VIP privileges and let you do your duty as you see fit, then look what happens. If this is harassment, I’m the Pope! If that’s your response, my offer to be searched is withdrawn. Gentlemen and ladies, my friend Leah and I have plane to catch.”

* * * *

The police escorted us and our baggage to a secured area in the core of the terminal. We were lead into a small conference room where a big, and I mean BIG, hulk of a man and a trim, attractive woman waited. They appeared to be at most forty and gazed at us intensely. From the man’s cinnamon skin, and the woman’s build and face, these were Leah’s parents.

“Mom!” Leah shouted and ran to her mother.

The huge man walked over to me and smiled. “I’m Mark Haleakala, and you are Ms. Brown; I recognize you from the press and my daughter’s crazy obsession with you. Come here, dear lady.” I stepped to him and was engulfed in his arms. Mr. Haleakala was huge, I mean HUGE and all over, oh yes!

“Thnks, cn I blrth nw? … Ooooh, that’s better. Glad I could help,” I said as he eased his bear hug. He was a mountain of a man and part of me wanted to climb his summit; the rest of me blushed.

Leah broke from her mom and walked to me. “Mom, Dad, this is Joanie, and she’s just the nicest person I’ve ever met.”

We spent a half-hour or so comparing our experiences in escaping the mob in Hana. Other than a few rifle shots hitting their armored Humvee, they were fine. The attempt at blowing the bridge was too far from them to cause any injury.

When Leah described our escape and my being wounded, I saw her parents cringe. When she described the men with shotguns, her mom was on the edge of tears.

“Mom, Dad, you have got to meet Miki. Miki is the coolest, and she helped save our lives.”

“Miki? Did you have someone assisting you, Joanie? We would like to thank her, too.”

“Sure, Mrs. Haleakala.”

“Please, call me Leilani.”

“Okay. Leilani, this is Miki.” I opened the carrier, and Miki scampered out. ~Say hello to Leah’s parents.~~

“Hello, I love Leah.”

~~Very nice Miki. Let them pet you if they wish. Okay?~~

“A talking mongoose! It’s so hard to believe. My great-grandmother spoke of animals that talked to women. She said those women could do great things, that they were touched by the spirits. Are you a witch? I thought you were a mutant?”

“Mark, I’m a mutant and have some powers like your daughter. That’s why I was sent to get her out -- that and she was a fan. The authorities thought I could calm her and teach her control over her powers. I’m kind of a sorceress due to some fluke in my warper powers, and Miki here offered to teach me how to use that magic. She’s a brave mongoose, and we can hear each other’s thoughts so she doesn’t speak often. Why don’t you spend some time together? I’ll take Miki, get something to eat, and be back in, say, 30 minutes. Our flight isn’t for an hour or so, right officer?” I asked one of the officers who had been waiting with her parents.

“No, you have an hour and fifteen minutes, but that is the last flight out. This one is only here due to a mechanical problem. The typhoon is dangerously close, though we hope it will miss. Still, in two hours or less it will be too windy to even take off, let alone land here.”

“See you all in 45 minutes, tops, okay?”

* * * *

I walked off to grab some food. Miki draped herself around my neck like some cheap fur wrap, though invisible. She was demonstrating her stealth abilities for me, and I agreed it would save a lot of trouble. I found a popular, but not overly crowded, steak house and entered. I waited to be seated. A waitress walked to me and motioned me to follow

“I hope this won’t take long. I have to be on a plane that is leaving for Honolulu in one hour.”

“You got a seat on the last plane? You must have a lot of pull ... Officer Joanie? You’re a State Police Officer?”

“I was called in as a technical expert on mutants, of all things,” I snickered. “I really am an officer for the time being.” I ordered a 10 oz steak, medium well done and asked for an extra plate. “The plate is so Miki can eat.”

“Miki?”

~~Miki, time to make your entrance.~~

“Aieeee! How did you do that?”

“Miki is a friend, and could I have that extra plate?”

“Uh, su-su-su-su-re. A woman with a pet mongoose that can turn itself invisible; I’ve been working too many hours.”

“Would you add a cheese steak sandwich and bottle water to-go on my order. It’s for a young lady I’m escorting. She’s with her parents at the moment."

I ate a small salad that was part of the meal and gave Miki some water to lap from the saucer under my coffee cup. They had a big screen TV, and one of the all-news networks was on. They had extensive coverage of typhoon Amelia. The big question was ‘would it miss the islands or not,’ but there was another story on the local news; a story that worried me.

“In late breaking news, we have reports of gunfire and casualties from and near Hana, Maui. Reports are sketchy, but there is word of possible terrorist activity aided by mutants. We are attempting to get a crew there before the weather cuts off all but emergency communications with the small village.

~~It’s early, those reports are often wrong. Melons One will keep a lid on things until Leah is safe. You’re being paranoid, Joanie dear.~~

~~You were thinking to me, Joanie?~~

~~I was thinking to myself, Miki. The press reports from Hana bother me; they make us sound like criminals.~~

~~Do not worry, the truth will become known.~~

* * * *

The steak came promptly, cooked as ordered, and the waitress brought a heavy, stoneware soup bowl. “I thought this might do better for your mongoose, Ms. Brown. We’ll keep the sandwich in a warming oven until you are ready to leave, enjoy.”

Miki and I ate, then I left the waitress a nice tip; it was a very good steak. We hurried back to the secured room and Leah.

* * * *

“We hate to see our daughter leave us, but Mark and I talked it over with Leah, and we agree she should accompany you to this Whateley Academy. Someday things will calm down and she can come home, but for now Leah needs a safe place to learn all the normal stuff a person needs to know, plus how to use her powers wisely,” her mom said while Leah happily ate her sandwich.

“Leilani and I trust you. Leah filled us in on what her friend Mel said about you over the computer and what you and your familiar Miki did to protect her. If she must leave, we are glad she will be with you, Joanie. We understand Whateley is expensive. Leah’s doctor told us, before we left Hana, that she arranged for a partial scholarship for Leah as a hardship case. We’ll do what it takes to raise the rest.”

“I suggest you talk with her about applying to the Meridian Foundation for additional grants. They offer assistance to students who need help, among their other charitable projects. Tell her to say that Joanie recommended you apply; it may *grease the wheels.*"

~~Joanie, why are you laughing in your mind?~~

~~Leah will get the Meridian Grant, because I am the foundation. I’ll explain it to you sometime, Miki.~~

* * * *

Leah and I were taken, via a service corridor, to the plane and were boarded immediately. The Aloha Airlines Boeing 737 was an older jet, but reliable. There was no reserved seating, so we took the first available seats we could. Given the emergency, Leah and I set Miki’s carrier on the floor between us. This freed a seat for someone else.

Takeoff was rough. The pilots deliberately stayed on the runway longer than normal because of the strong, gusting headwinds. When we took off, we climbed quickly, shuddering many times as turbulence struck the plane. At altitude it wasn’t bad, and thankfully few, if any, got airsick. Landing at Honolulu was bumpy, but tolerable. An escort met us at the gate, and we were driven to a huge hotel a few blocks from Waikiki Beach.

“Why here and not near the airport?”

“It will be a day or two before flights to the mainland resume. All the nearby hotels are full, and you are safer here as it is a less obvious place. Wear these bracelets on your wrist, or you can put them on your ankles if you must. They are waterproof, so you can shower and swim in them. Press all the buttons at once and it signals us you are in danger. Several officers will be near you at all times. Use this cell-phone to call us anytime you leave your room. It’s encrypted, so no one can overhear.”

* * * *

They got us to our room, inspected it, and left. We relaxed, took long showers, and decided what to do. Our meal in the Maui airport had amounted to a late lunch/early dinner.

“Are you hungry, Leah? There are lots of restaurants near here; what you say we get a late supper?”

“I'm a little hungry; the sandwich helped, but I could use something.”

We called our *tail* and told them of our plans. Leah and I walked towards Waikiki and turned down the sidewalk along the oceanfront road. Miki sat contentedly in her carrier. It was twilight, and the night life was coming out, though subdued by the windy conditions.

To reduce the *shock effect* -- and no that is not a pun -- one Tazer was hidden inside Miki’s carrier; the other was tucked in my waistband and concealed by my top. I felt like a spy, ~~Jane Blonde, agent double-*D* 40, license to thrill.~~ I spotted a popular fifties-styled burger and pizza place I had eaten at the one time I’d been in Hawaii and lead us in. Leah looked at the menu board and agreed this would do. We placed our order, and Leah took Miki with her to save us some seats. I brought our sodas to the table.

“Leah, remember 125, that’s our order number.”

“Ladies, I see you are sitting alone. Mind if we talk?” I turned to see a couple of college age guys on the make.

“You can talk if you want, but Leah here is underage, and, well, I’m spoken for, but you can try.” I turned to face them as I spoke, and their faces brightened then dimmed as I spoke.

“If we’d known it was you, we wouldn’t have bothered you, Joanie.”

“Are you sure your friend here is underage?”

“I just turned thirteen; I’m sorry guys,” Leah replied and giggled like the thirteen-year-old she was.

“It’s no bother; I like to be thought of as desirable from time-to-time.” I gave them each my autograph, and they seemed happier, though disappointed.

“Orders 123, 124 and 125, please pick up at the counter. That’s orders 123, 124 and 125.”

I walked back to the counter and called out, “I’m 125.”

“Joanie, I though you said it was your 49th birthday last December,” a familiar voice called out from behind me.

“Jay? What are you doing here?”

“Getting food, and thanks for the straight line. We are here with the show to do a salute to summer from the band shell on Waikiki, if the weather improves.”

“Summer? It’s May!”

“Kickoff to summer then. This is TV; it doesn’t have to be logical. It’s for tomorrow starting at six PM. We’re doing it live, what with the time difference with the Lower 48. Could you come on? It’s a nearly all music show; you’d be perfect. We’d kick ass in the overnight ratings.”

“I don’t know; I’d have to ask Leah and our *angels*. I’m responsible for her safety. She is in danger from anti-mutant activists back on Maui.”

“You? You were the 'dangerous mutant terrorists' on Maui?”

“What?”

“You must not have seen the reports. For a while, much of the media were reporting that a gang of mutants went on a rampage, shooting at innocents and generally causing mayhem. They said the State Police and Marines were deployed to restore order.”

“Follow me, Jay ... This is Leah, the other half of that dangerous gang of mutants. The vicious animal in the carrier is Miki; she’s my mongoose and a co-conspirator in this evil plot to destroy civilization as we know it.” I giggled, but I was ticked off at the reckless, slanted reporting. “Yes, I imported a mongoose to Hawaii. It’s complicated, but she’s my mentor.”

“A mongoose is your mentor in what, killing cobras?”

“Working magic, Jay, and don’t tell anyone.”

“Wait a minute, there are wild reports of spontaneous mutations of grown men into attractive women with, um, both sexes.”

“That was an accident. We were trapped by an ambush, and somehow Miki and I transformed them; this is also not for public consumption. Jay, you’re the expert on the media; do you think I should I hold a press conference to counter these ridiculous stories?”

“The Governor of Hawaii already has, but I’d have you on my show in a second for an exclusive. She called a press conference and was outraged at the accusations. The Governor practically nominated you for sainthood, and a remote transmission from the Marine commanding officer from Hana was equally supportive. Was it true you were shot?”

“I was hit, but I heal fast.”

“I could get you on our cable news program or maybe the national news. They’d love to interview you. I guarantee I’ll get you one of our serious and fair journalists, not one of those *pundits*. They may bring in the ratings, but they demean the professionalism of the news side of the business.

We ate and worked out a deal. Leah and I had the next morning free, and in the afternoon I would rehearse and be fitted for a costume. Jay agreed to assign his two best security people to guarding Leah. Miki would stay with her in her carrier, just in case.

* * * *

We finished eating and went for a walk along the long sand beach of Waikiki. It was dark, and the waves were high due to the approaching typhoon, so no one was allowed in the water. We were passing a small wooded area near the band shell, on the north end of the beach, when Miki got excited and sniffed the air.

~~Joanie, I can smell him; he is near. There is a prime male living in this wood. I can tell from his scent he is healthy and vigorous. Please, Mistress Joanie, I *need*.~~

~~You promise to be safe, to not eat anything that could be poison? You will not cross the road unless it is safe?~~

~~ I will take great care, Joanie. He senses me; I can smell his excitement. I must go.~~

~~ How will you get back?~~

~~I know where we are staying, the tall *hotel* you called it. I know which one it is of these many tall man-buildings. I can find my way back to the room. If not, I will send you a message of when and where to meet. Our minds are bound, Joanie. We can hear each other from beyond the horizon. Please, he wants me, and I must have it!~~

I took off her harness, and she scampered into the tiny woods. The last I felt from her was intense joy and anticipation. It was a good thing she weakened our *link* at that moment, because we were both aroused. ~~The poor dear needs*it* bad. Good luck, my friend.~~ I *sent* that last bit and got a brief feeling of joy and desire back from Miki.

Leah and I will walk among the tall buildings for a while then come back this way, but take as long as you need.~~

~~Yes, thank you... Hi Mister. I shall call you Eric. Do you like what you see?~~ My link with her quieted; I knew she was alive, but I did not sense her thoughts or feelings. I think she dampened her telepathy so we might both have some privacy.

“Why did you do that?”

“Miki wanted a boyfriend, and she sensed a suitable one here. She will be safe. Let her have some fun. Do you want to do some shopping? My treat, Leah.”

"Shopping?”

“You need some clothes, and I so do I. I never anticipated so much traveling this weekend or for so long.”

* * * *

We wandered up and down the beach front road and its wide variety of shops. We window-shopped, looking for things to interest us. The guys and gals along the busy street were window-shopping us. The guys seemed pleased to see us; the gals were not happy at all. We were the competition, and they were worried. I felt so hot and sexy. My nipples were rock hard, and my panties got moist, but I was in control, more or less..

My, I am awfully aroused tonight ... Is this the flipside of all that upset and stress of earlier today?~~

We bought a few items, including some scandalously scanty one-piece swimsuits. Leah wanted to surf, if conditions allowed it before leaving Hawaii, and our hotel had a pool. As one-pieces, they would stay on in a dive or the surf. With the multiple cutouts, plunging necklines, and high-cut leg holes, they left little to the imagination. Picture those figure flattering swimsuits the lady lifeguards wore in Baywatch, but far less *G* rated. These were *shock your Mama* outfits, but who cared?

* * * *

“We are going to have such fun, Joanie. Do you want to look at that shoe store again? I saw you eying those cowboy boots, the Steve Zink model 27s?”

“Oh my, I feel odd. Whash is wrong? Oh-a-a-a!” I staggered for a few steps, my head spinning, then I was fine.

“That whash strange I felt ... I don’t know what I ...I-I-I ... That whash incredible. This is all wrong but I, oh Ghod!” I staggered again, but my mind was confused and reeling with pleasures long denied and all but forgotten.

“Joanie, are you sick.? You're swaying like my uncle does when he’s been ... Are you drunk?”

“Of coursh not, Leah. I don’t drinks. Oh, I feel dizzy. Whash is with my speeches?” I concentrated and regained some control.

“It’s not me. You were with me all night, and I had nothing alco ... alcol .. acolholic. Maybe it was that papaya. It was extremely ripe but tasted so good ... Oh my!”

“Joanie, why are you trembling? Do you want a doctor?”

“No_oh_oh_oh! Help me to our room; I know what it ... Oh My Ghod. Yes, Yes, YES!”

People were looking at me and Leah, but she resolutely half-walked me/half-dragged me into the hotel, to the elevator, and up to our room. It wasn’t easy with my occasional spasms and sudden urges to moan, squeal and pleasure myself in intimate places. It was all I could do not to offer myself to every attractive man -- and they all looked sooo attractive all-of-a-sudden, or to assault Leah, who was sizzling sexy to my senses.

She got me to my bed and ... I lost it and *let my fingers to the walking.* I felt my love deep inside me, pounding away mercilessly with his manhood, and I loved it. It felt soo good after all these years to be a woman again. To have a man on top of me once more, his powerful body making me *his* was heaven ... His hot fluids shooting into me only increased my desire. We were insatiable, but even mindless passion has some limit. After several hours of his ministrations, I felt limp as a soggy noodle and happier than since I was Kushalla’s fam ... I snapped out of it.

~~Miki ... did you ... were you? ... Was your mate any good? ... ~~

There are some secrets a woman keeps even from her familiar, like the fact I felt fantastic. Her *Eric* was *all mongoose*, if you know what I mean. If my Eric is half this good, I will be one satisfied woman.

~~Joanie? You felt my ... I am sshorry, it wasn’t my intentshhion to disturb you. I tried to block my shensations, but I felt odd after eating that delicic .. delilci .. tasty fruit and ... My head is spinning!~~

~~Miki, I think you’re drunk. That fruit was so ripe it had fermented and had some alcohol in it. Like when people drink wine or hard cider or whisky?~~

It was strangely delic, delic, tasty. Joanie, I can not return to you this way. May I stay the night with my *Eric,* so I may regain control?~~

If you are safe. I could come and get you?~~

~~I have caused you much troublesh. Let me shleep and re-recover. Meet me in the morning near the trees and beaches. ~~

* * * *
May 06, 2007

In the morning, I woke embarrassed but alert. We dressed while checking the local news. The Governor’s press conference had squelched most of the crazy rumors, except for two. The reports of men suddenly becoming female in appearance, yet possessing both sexes, remained a hot topic as was the identity of the mutants involved in the incidents on Maui. They knew I was there from the Governor, but they wanted the name of the rescued mutant. It was explained that the rescued person was a minor, but the press was in a feeding frenzy.

The other topic was the weather. Typhoon Amelia was expected to miss the islands but had slowed, so its effects on the islands would linger. Condition Black was declared for some beaches -- no activity in or near the water allowed. Waikiki, being on the leeward side of the storm, was open to qualified surfers of which Leah was one. We dressed, ate, and went to pick up my wayward mongoose. She’d sent a message she was ready to return to us.

~~Joanie, I am well, happy, and wish to return to you. Meet me in the park where you dropped me off. My *Eric* was everything I could have hoped for. Bless you for your consideration.~~ Miki sounded satisfied and then some.

After recovering her and reattaching her harness, we walked to a local surfing shop on the beach. The conditions were too extreme for a novice to go out even with an expert, but Leah had certification as a Junior Master.

Apparently she had placed high in her age group in surfing tournaments the last several years. Even looking like she did, her certification placed her well above a merely competent surfer of her apparent age. She rented a board and got expert instruction on the local hazards, and the best way to use the waves with safety. She studied the waves for some time, and the actions of the surfers out there, then she paddled out. I noticed a film crew was recording her runs, the logo on the cameras was for the network that Jay’s show was on. I wasn’t surprised; Leah was a fine surfer, and with her new body she was some serious eye-candy. I watched her with pride and a little envy while I enjoyed splashing in the shallows and sun bathing, The cameras got some great of shots of me wet, coming out of the ocean, just before Jay walked up to me.

“Joanie, that is one sharp looking swimsuit. What are you doing on the beach?”

“The girl you met last night is an expert surfer. That’s her in the bright white one-piece. It’s like mine other than the color.” I wore a reddish-gold suit to complement my hair and eyes.

“I’ll see you later today then, Joanie, and thanks." He walked off to record some of those silly man/woman on the street interviews.

* * * *
After returning her rented board, and our showering to rinse off the salt, we walked in our damp suits to the cluster of trailers set aside for the show's guest stars and staff. They were parked behind the Waikiki beach band shell and well protected by police and private security.

The wardrobe and makeup departments got us out of our suits and into some suitable rehearsal clothing. I talked with the director of Jay's augmented band -- members of the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra were added to produce a rich, big band sound. We spent an hour or two trying things out with the band. During my rehearsal, I noticed several major artists had arrived. We smiled at each other; I was known in the *business* by now, but my being there did surprise them.

Mid-afternoon, I recorded an interview with a senior and respected network reporter. We went into considerable detail about how I came to Hawaii, what happened on Maui and what was yet to happen, I answered most of the questions except for a few I though might endanger Leah. I summed things up this way:

“What happened on Maui was solely the responsibility of outside trouble makers, with the exception of several Humans Firsts who took advantage of a harmless young woman’s plight to advance their views. If she had been treated with due courtesy and tolerance, nothing bad would have happened.”

* * * *
After my interview, Leah joined me in a spacious trailer reserved for *talent*. We napped for a few hours, then ate and were prepped for the show. Leah was disguised as a precaution, and I was fitted into several costumes including a sexy cheerleader’s uniform.

I made some quick calls back to Whateley, Wisconsin, and Iowa to let my friends know I was alright and what I was going to do next. I hoped they could watch me perform, and I wanted to thank them for their support. .

* * * *

I waited on the darkened stage, my palms sweating, stomach clenching and heart pounding. I so wanted to impress Leah, and a peek at the crowd a few minutes before had not helped. There had to be thousands out there on the lawn. Up front, protected by two of Jay’s most trusted bodyguards was Leah, Miki was with her in her carrier to keep an eye on Leah just in case. The Late Show band played a shortened version of Jay’s theme music as scenes shot in Hawaii -- including Leah surfing and me coming out of the water -- were projected onto huge screens for the crowd. He came on to one side of the stage, the music stopped, and he spoke.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Hawaii and the Late Show’s salute to the start of summer. Where better to celebrate the coming summer than on Waikiki Beach, and what better music to celebrate with than ... ELVIS!

The band played the extremely brief intro, and the spotlights hit me.

(words & music by linde)
”Lord almighty,
I feel my temperature rising
Higher higher
It's burning through to my soul

Girl, girl, girl
You gonna set me on fire
My brain is flaming
I dont know which way to go

Your kisses lift me higher
Like the sweet song of a choir
You light my morning sky
With burning love

Ooh, ooh, ooh,
I feel my temperature rising
Help me, I'm flaming
I must be a hundred and nine
Burning, burning, burning
And nothing can cool me
I just might turn into smoke
But I feel fine

'Cause your kisses lift me higher
Like a sweet song of a choir
And you light my morning sky
With burning love

It's coming closer
The flames are reaching my body
Please won't you help me
I feel like I'm slipping away
It's hard to breath
And my chest is a-heaving
Lord almighty,
I'm burning a hole where I lay

'Cause your kisses lift me higher
Like the sweet song of a choir
You light my morning sky
With burning love
With burning love
Ah, ah, burning love
I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love”

I felt like I was channeling The King. I lived and breathed the music; I sang in his key and range but one octave higher. I’m good, okay I admit it, I’m great but that would have been pushing it even for me. It was lower than I usually sing, but the tone was electric, and on hearing it later, sexy with a capital *S*. Maybe it was due to the stress of the last couple days, and the relief Leah and I were safe, I made love to the crowd. Not literally! What do you think I am? You folks are pervs. ~~Tempting, so tempting particularly after Miki and her ... *night* -- the furry minx.~~

I’d put everything I had into my performance, and the crowd responded in kind. The song ended and Jay was in heaven. It took a good minute to calm the crowd, and we performed Leah, the Roy Orbison *Hawaiian style* song. My Leah smiled, cried and applauded enthusiastically. Miki sent me a mental *thumbs up*. I finished my short set with Windsurfer, a lesser known but appropriate Roy Orbison composition. I waited for the applause to die down.

“Good evening to, you know, everybody from beautiful Waikiki. I’m Joanie, um ... I think ... Yeah, Joanie, like duh!”

The audience exploded in laughs. Jay looked like he was about to wet himself he laughed so hard

“I gotta let the big acts up on stage. Before I go I want to say, to a friend I made on Maui, Leah, dear, those songs were for you. I have one work for you, my dear friend, ‘Ohana. Oh yeah, there is one other thing folks ... Aloha!”

The show immediately went to the next performers, some unknowns called The Beach Boys. They dragged me back onto the band shell stage and sang for me, for silly old me, "Fun, Fun, Fun". The audience and I saw, on huge screens, what the TV audience saw, and it blew me away. Somehow Jay had gotten clips from Ford of me driving the Ford Thunderbird GT -- *it* had a new name now. It had little to do with the historic T-birds; it was clearly from the same line of thought as the glorious Ford GT40 from the 1960’s and the Ford GT of a couple years ago, but they saw the dollar signs in tying it to me. The original T-bird coupe was clearly a young woman’s car -- think of Susan Summers as the strikingly pretty young blonde in American Graffiti. The new GT was a coupe, and I was clearly a strikingly pretty young strawberry-blonde. I giggled and blushed like an idiot on stage. Ghod, I probable sold a couple thousand of those extremely expensive cars by how I looked driving mine.

I was half numb from the buzz of excitement and joy when Jay escorted me from the stage. Much of the night was a blur of watching performers I’d idolized serenading me and treating me like I was their equal -- no, like I was their crown princess. I particular enjoyed the performances of The Go-Go’s and The B-52’s. Jay also had several excellent Hawaii acts perform. The state is a Mecca for performers and artists of all kinds. I stood off to the side of the stage and quietly danced to my hearts content. It was nothing recognizable as a specific dance; it was me moving to the music. It felt great to let go for a while and just *be.*

The cheerleaders from the University of Hawaii-Honolulu performed a dance routine to back several of the Beach Boys songs during their second set, and then I came on stage. I would be the closing act for the show. The crowd had grown considerably during the broadcast; the police later estimated it at in excess of fifty-thousand. I wore one of their *hot* cheerleading uniforms, it might as well been a swimsuit it covered so little. In fact it was built like a swimsuit but with a short skirt and some extra fabric applied. We’d worked out a surprise during the afternoon rehearsals, while Leah was taking care of Miki in one of the trailer/greenrooms. The crowd laughed and whistled when I burst onto the stage.

“I have two compelling reasons to sing this next song. I have to do it for a dear friend of mine; I owe her my life. And ... I mean, just look ... this bitchn’ outfit is like so me, totally!”

It may have been a one-hit wonder, but what a hit. We did the Toni Basil mega hit, 'Mickey.' I had a great time singing and dancing, well more bouncing and jiggling all over the stage but it was fun. I got a mental image of a certain mongoose dancing for joy. ~~You deserved it, Miki, every bit of it, brave girl.~~ I sent her after I finished the song..

Jay came on stage, and I was interviewed briefly after the number. I answered with the Reader’s Digest version of my reason for being here.

“The young woman I escorted to safety had harmed no one, yet was treated worse than most folks would treat a stray dog. The community she grew up in, the people who knew her best, with few exceptions, distanced themselves from her in her time of need or actively tried to harm her. And for what? What terrible crime had she committed? The crime of being different.

“From the American West Coast of the early 1940’s there are still survivors of the Japanese and Japanese Americans forced into concentration caps for the crime of being of Japanese ancestry. African Americans were denied the vote and other basic human rights for decades purely for being not-white. This is not right!

“It could be the so-called white man’s turn to be oppressed someday. The same radical Christians, who think it’s righteous to push their version of morality and religion on others, will be in for a rude awakening if the fundamentalist Muslims ever come to political power. Will they demand their religious views be given precedence just as the Christian Right tried to force their views upon us?

“Intolerance breeds intolerance, and I’ve done my share of spreading hate by not living up to the ideals of freedom and tolerance. It’s not enough to be tolerant yourself; you must oppose intolerance by others. I no longer have that luxury of anonymity; I am one of the freaks, the muts, the unclean and unholy. I am a mutant, AND I am a human.” The audience applauded loudly.

“This nation needs tolerance and good will to prosper and survive in the global economy. I hope my friend Leah will live long enough to see tolerance become universal. Sorry to get preachy on you, but my blood boils when I remember what a few radicals tried to do to this innocent young woman and friend. She is here in the audience tonight by divine grace, her boundless courage, and a little help from a friend of mine and me. I must thank the valiant men and women of various local Maui police forces and Hawaiian State Police. With expert support by members of the United States Marines, my friend, her family, and I were able to reach safety and order was restored.”

Leah, though they could not identify her for obvious reasons, got a heartrending round of applause when I revealed she was in attendance as my guest. I was asked by Jay to do a couple more songs to end the two hour broadcast.

“This song I dedicate to the men and women of the MCO who are keeping the World safe from -- something or other; I’m not sure they know what it is, but it must be something pretty darn important. I must say, from personal experience, their search methods are most thorough. They will be hearing from my lawyers about that.” I sang 'Pretty Vacant' by the Sex Pistols. It was the nastiest thing I could sing in protest of my treatment, yet keep us on the air.

~~I’m gonna’ regret that one every time I go through a major airport. But that ... jerk deserved it. And then the dickhead in Kahului ... ~~ “I’d like to give a hearty well done to the hard working airport screeners who have the thankless task of keeping it safe to fly. You guys and gals are the best. My special thanks go to the screeners and security at Chicago O’Hare who went above-and-beyond their duty to assist me. On the other hand, as for the MCO ...” then I giggled which spoiled the effect.

“My last song” -- the audience moaned their disappointment -- “is a gift to those dear friends who stood by me despite my recent self-serving, self-destructive behavior. They saw I needed help, and ... I want them to know how much I respect and love them for it. I owe my greatest apologies to two: Mom, I love you as much as if you were my birth mother. And to my special someone, a quote from a favorite piece of fiction expresses it best, ‘the only way to stop loving you is to die."’ I composed myself, wiped my tear streaked face, and sang.

“Oh, my love, my darling
I've hungered for your touch
Alone, lonely time ...”

'Unchained Melody' been recorded hundreds of times; The Righteous Brother’s mid-1960’s version is probably the best known as it was revived in popularity by being in the film 'Ghost.' All the remaining tension of the last few days poured out of me and into my performance. Jay, the band, and everyone I could see were in shock by the end. The song had gone well in rehearsal, but this was way beyond that in its impact. The music stopped and there was a moment of complete silence. The applause hit me like the shockwave from an atomic explosion. I left the stage emotionally wiped out and a smile on my tear-streaked face.

I waited for the crowd to break up after the show, and was met by Leah and Miki in one of the makeup trailers. I would have signed autographs, but Leah was my responsibility; the TV show was pushing the limits of safety. The makeup and wardrobe people cleaned us both up and changed our looks to something appropriate for two gals in their upper teens out for a night of fun.

We were escorted out the back and made our way down Waikiki Beach until we neared the main shopping district. Miki walked on her leash like some rich girl’s expensive pet dog. I saw our reflection in a shop window and got the giggles.

“What is it, um Joan? “ She remembered not to cal me Joanie on the street.

“I look like Paris Hilton walking her dog with her fabulously skinny girlfriend at her side.

“At your worst, you are not that ditzy, Cousin ... You did remember to wear panties, didn’t you?” Now we both giggled. Miki was confused, but happy.

We switched to the sidewalk and idly window-shopped. Even Miki enjoyed herself. We got considerable action from young guys and gals cruising by on the street. Leah was dressed-to-kill, and I was bordering on illegal. I’m amazed we didn’t cause any accidents.

I spotted a jewelry store I’d been told had an honest reputation -- I had talked with our *tail* earlier -- and asked Leah to come in with me. It was late, but they were open for another hour or so to accommodate the late evening crowds.

“May I help you ladies?” asked a woman in her thirties.

“I’d like to purchase a pearl necklace for my friend, Leah.”

“Certainly, Miss, cultured pearls or natural?”

“Natural or your top quality cultured. I want Leah to have something with class; something she can wear with pride for years to come”

“It’s not that I don’t trust you, but with expensive and easily pocketed items ...”

“You need to copy my ID, sure. This is my Hawaii State Police ID. I’m on temporary assignment; I’m something of an expert on mutants. Here’s my MCO issued Mutant ID card or MID, and my New Hampshire driver’s license. Will that do? I have more if you need it.” I smiled and watched the fun. I preferred not to hand her any of my Whateley IDs. I was sure these would do the trick.

She looked at me, then the ID, then back again at me. She scanned them into their computer as if on autopilot and was about to hand them back when another sales person came to the counter. Her dress and name tag showed her to be the manager.

“Is everything under control, Maureen? Need any assistance? Are you alright, Maureen?” Maureen stared at me and handed the manager my IDs. “Good evening, Ms. Brown, and what ... do ... you ... Um, great performance you gave tonight, I, we saw it on TV."

“Thank you, um, Nicole, that’s most kind. What do you ladies suggest for my friend here? I want something that will last her a lifetime or more. I want your very best.”

Leah got these lovely Japanese cultured pearls, a matched necklace and earrings set. I offered to buy her a smaller all-natural pearl necklace, but Leah said it was too expensive. She needed something to remember our adventure that was positive, and the contrast with her cinnamon skin was breathtaking. I bought a gold, platinum and fire coral hair clip for Mel.

“Leah, this will go great with Mel’s blonde hair.”

“You bought a hairclip for a guy?” the sales woman asked. Leah and I giggled.

“Mel is Melissa; I email her a lot, and she’s Joanie best friend, sorry, bestest friend.” Leah giggled and I laughed. ~~I owe you one, Mel; you did everything you could to keep Leah calm. You told her I’m your *bestest* friend, good girl, Mel.~~

Buying jewelry for a man is difficult. I know what I *wanted* to buy, but a wedding ring set was jumping the gun. I thought of buying a fancy pen set, but that made more sense for someone like his dad or the Senator. I settled on diamond and platinum cuff-links and a matching tie tack, as he would soon be a fixture on the 'rubber chicken' circuit. Politics is the family business, so I have to assume he’ll be expected to give it a try. Privately, I hoped he wouldn’t, as I feared it would be hard on our children, and frankly I’m a selfish girl. If I have to wait for him, I’m not sharing him with the public anytime soon. Four years of self-denial is more then enough for me. I expect him to be at my beck-and-call after he turns 18, except when busy with his university studies. I wonder how well I’ll handle his going to the University of Iowa? At least we’ll be able to ... during breaks. He’s going to *need* the class time to recover from the after effects of his semester breaks. This is my solemn vow.

I bought a few other gifts. Matching silver friendship bracelets for my gal pals at MSG; for Dr. Sara, Babs and myself, I purchased three identical gold and platinum cameos with necklace chains to match -- the type of cameos you can put small photos or locks of hair inside. It was a logical extension of what I got for Mel the previous Christmas. Miki got a simple gold heart engraved with her name and my phone number that I hoped to attach to a breakaway collar or harness for her ~~For just-in-case, Miki.~~.

I had the various metal items engraved that night -- the manager knew how to use the machine, thankfully. The manager thought the phrase I wanted on each was unusual, but sentimental. He didn’t realize how literal it was.

“’Eternally yours’, that’s a strong sentiment.”

“They are worthy of it; I hope I prove equal to the sentiment.”

* * * *

To be continued

This is why I value your comments. ‘Ohana would not have been in the story without Rose_2’s suggestion. Thanks to Karen_J for help on police, airports and the press. Itinerant and Janet Nolan, what can I say but thanks.
The quote Joanie said at the concert is from Tanya Allen’s Tango Golf.

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Chapter 7

Hi John enjoyed latest edition. Look forward to further escapedes of Joanie and friends.

SHARPHAWLAD (Sharp)

SHARPHAWLAD (Sharp)

Great!

Thanks!

Wadda Storie!

Wowsers! It just keeps getting better!

Looking forward to more!

Robi

*HUGS*
Robi

Really Good Chapter...

...and thanks for covering the question as to why they didn't use time travel to get out of it. (Why they didn't use stop-motion, on the other hand, to get past the guys with the bullets...)

Looking forward to more.

Eric

But It Just Struck Me...

...through all this chapter's distractions, that what Joanie did on her emergency mission was precisely what she was sent to Hawaii to avoid. Everyone was worried that if Leah were attacked while trying to leave the island, she would panic and use new untested powers that she couldn't control, potentially causing far greater damage through her efforts than even an attack on her could probably justify.

Joanie is brought in because Leah has confidence in her and Joanie has similar powers that have been tested and are under her control. But instead of using those, she panics and uses new untested powers that she can't control, causing far greater damage through her efforts than even the attack on the two of them could probably justify.

While we're seeing all this from Joanie's point of view, since she's the narrator (and, to her credit, she's extremely contrite over having missed a potential course of action that would have avoided the confrontation), the fact of the matter is that she has just proven the opposition's point: mutants are inadequately controlled and have the power to destroy or permanently disfigure non-mutants at whim. Worse yet, it can happen even without conscious intent, demonstrating that rational constraints may not be enough to avoid the problem. Exile, death or complete absorption for/by either the mutant or non-mutant side may indeed be the only answers.

I know: that's another storyline. (I gather that it's one that the X-Man comics and movies that I've avoided all my life in blind loyalty to the '60s/'70s DC universe are hashing out.)

John's doing a decent job of distracting us from that bottom line with Joanie's many surface-level talents, trials, celebrity sightings, friendships, sexual cravings and so forth. (And IMO the problem that I'm talking about affects (infests?) the whole Whateley worldline, to some degree; I suspect that canonical stories, because of their greater interactivity, inherently have greater ability to keep it in check.)

But I think that the Judgment Day for Mutants line is more of a story problem now that Joanie has added an uncontrolled sorcery potential to her offensive arsenal.

And (at the risk of repeating a message that John's probably more than tired of hearing from me), keeping it out of sight starts by making sure that putting Joanie in danger doesn't mean forgetting about her time-stop defense (and thus causing greater havoc than necessary) -- unless you can write that ability out of the story somehow.

It also means she that shouldn't do something draconian that would give the mutant-neutral public a reason to fear Joanie more than they adulate her. (Unless, of course, you're prepared to take the story down that path.)

Eric

Hollywood disease

I'm a big fan of John's Whateley stories, but I have to agree with Erin that things are slowly going beyond what can be called reasonable. I'd call it the "Hollywood disease" because movies coming from Hollywood often have a tendency to display explosions and excessive violence, even when totally inappropriate.

One of the things I hate the most in any kind of story is internal inconsistency. Whatever happens should be believable. In this case all those special abilities Joan has, are believable to me because the universe she lives in allows it. However, I have a hard time believing in other things happening in this chapter:
1) common citizens attacking a known super; seems rather suicidal to me
2) a law enforcement agency passing on responsability to a citizen. Face it: at the end of the 'adventure', Joan made a mess of things. I'm sure that without her involvement, things would have been a lot better. The only reason I can think of allowing her to do this is to be able to use the result against her later.
3) MCA agents harassing Joanie in front of witnesses. I've no problem with MCA agents hating mutants, but surely they are not that stupid. Compare it with the common white southern cop with KKK ties in our world: he's not going to be doing something as stupid as harassing some black guy (or whatever PC term you prefer) where others can see it. Worst he would do is going overboard with "security checks" and such, but he would stay within the limits of the law.
4) Most everyone Joanie meets is either ridiculously for or against her. I admit that being a public figure results in more polarized opinions, but I'd still find it a lot more believable if most people she meets would have a "polite but distant" attitude regarding her. I know that when I'd meet some famous person tomorrow, I'd try to be polite and stay out of their way if I dislike them (eg the current US president) or try to start a conversation to get to know them better if I had a good opinion of them (eg John from Wauwatosa). I would not start to insult them or drop at their feet in adoration.

Having said all that I still can't help but be very eager for the next part and see the misschief that a small familiar can do.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Leah's handle

If Leah has a majority of Joanie's powers someone suggested as a different handle for Joanie would be perfect, Flashback. Hope to read about more of the adventures of Joanie and Leah.