Duty Calls chapter 17-33+

Printer-friendly version

The next morning I arrived at work early. My ensemble was smart, relaxed. I was wearing levis, sneakers, a dressy blouse and the faux-rabbit fur jacket I’ve had for a couple of years. My hair was up in a pony tail. I gathered a few kidding wolf whistles from the old hands who had also come in early and some stares from the few newbies who were going to be a part of the detail during the following two weeks. I heard a familiar threat given by one of the old hands to a couple of the newbies, “You want to keep your jobs? Don't make passes at the boss.”

That comment caused them to take another look at the twenty something year old female they saw and tried to equate that vision with the thirty plus year old woman whom they’d been told was the principle owner of the business. Ralph showed up a few minutes later and by seven there were seventeen of us collected in our larger conference room along with coffee, donuts and bagels on hand courtesy of the company and a kind stop on the way into the office by Nicci. Moments later Nicci entered the conference room carrying a cup of coffee and her steno pad.

She gave me a smile, then sat in a chair located at about the middle of the table where she could easily hear everything which might be discussed in the room. With her notes, and the recordings we always made using the cameras and three microphones located around the room we would have a semi-permanent record of the briefing, questions and assignments. Great for a who does what to or for whom synopsis of the meeting. Everyone would have the same information and knew who was responsible for what. No arguments about what was said or implied. Everything was recorded. We had so many of those seven inch reels of video tape with meetings on them that they filled a closet even though we reused them beginning two months after a job had been completed.

The entire two weeks were covered, in detail. Questions were asked and answered or someone was assigned to obtain the answer and present it at a another meeting which would occur later this week. We all had work to do to prepare for our two weeks of orchestrated madness. This time, like many others, I wasn’t the agent in charge despite being the boss, but I was an asset who was free to act on my own. This allowed me to pursue my own agenda, if necessary, as well as be in the direct company of our Principal. In some cases this was good, and in some cases it could add to the work load of the other agents since in such a situation the female or attached agent would generally be treated as though they were a member of the Principal's entourage. Sometimes that could be a good thing as others would not realise one of the Principal’s people was really one of our armed to their teeth agents.

The up side to this whole game was that I had worked with most of these agents both as a male and as a female and we all knew how the others thought and what they would do in various situations. Part of my task happened to be the control of the Principal whenever I was accompanying him. That left the other agents free to apply themselves to whatever situation or predicament might be confronting us at the moment. We used this method before and it usually worked out well. It also gave us a slight edge since many men would not immediately harm a woman out of hand and so they paused before attempting it. That gave me the opportunity to take them down before they could get to the Principal, if they manage to make it through the other agents.

The down side was there were some men out there who targeted the woman immediately since taking her down usually would demoralize the men who were there to provide a defense. Fortunately there were several hundred who would pause for every one who sought out the woman as the initial target. There were some men who simply liked to hurt women. And there were also some who didn't really care about whether the target was male or female ... They were just a target.

The University venue would be checked out by three members of the team and two of the three “safe” houses would be checked and prepped, with operational staff assigned. Soon our seventeen agents would be joined by nearly ten staff members who would act the part of the servants and who would run each of those safe houses during the two weeks. True, there were two at each house year round but they would be joined by three more at each location plus two agents from our working team of seventeen; eighteen if you counted myself.

Three of our limos had been sent to the city garage for servicing. Our working agreement with the city allowed us to have our vehicles promptly serviced without worrying about undesired additions attaching themselves to the vehicles features. In return we provided both financial and special assistance to the cities law-enforcement if special occasions made it necessary. This deal had both of us feeling like we were winners. The P.D. was very happy to have a platoon strength para-military force at hand to assist their swat team members when necessary. Especially so since we were also counter terrorism trained which was a necessity for Europe more than the US, at least so far. Many of us were listed favorably with a large and growing number of the Federal alphabet agencies as well. Sometimes having an acceptable go between buffering a Federal Agency and a P.D. provided both with more information and cooperation. There were no “pissing” matches or turf wars.

Nicci and I rushed out about 11:30, stopping for a bite to eat before we continued on to spend an hour and a half purchasing more clothing and two swim suits. I still wasn’t entirely happy with that. At least the suits weren’t bikini style. I felt exposed just thinking about that. Of course there were more shoes, handbags, everyday jewelry ... lots of everyday jewelry. The $4000.00 James gave me would cover the cost of the gowns, accessories, alterations and maybe part of the fur but I was paying out of pocket for all my new jewelry, new clothing, undergarments, make up, lotions, oils, cleansers, etc. etc. and so forth. Where the hell was I going to put all this stuff?

I did some quick totaling and found I was personally about $4000 out of pocket so far, and I hadn't purchased the real stuff yet. You know, the Diamonds, Rubies, Emeralds and Sapphires. My heart went pitty pat in excitement just thinking about them.
Nicci dropped the bombshell while we were looking at the real jewelry. My ears needed to be pierced. I had done my best to forget that little detail in the hopes she had as well, no such luck. Contemplation of having my ears tortured nearly had me in tears before it even happened. I was surmising that I’d rather be in a firefight; at least I would be allowed to shoot back. I was getting very close to tears as I sat waiting for them to snap the diamond studs into my earlobes. Less than a minute later, it was all over and I was wondering why I thought it was going to be so traumatic. I thought it would be something akin to having my fingernails pulled out. Anticipation was 90% of the pain, I suppose.

We made it to the second floor of Macy's. About a half hour and $33,000 later, I had my jewelry. The jewelry purchases required a call to my bank to assure them that, yes, I was indeed purchasing jewelry and a mink coat. I telephone transferred $40,000 from my savings to my checking account in an effort to have sufficient funds to handle everything just in case I saw something else that I liked. Here I was spending thousands in order to be female for a few weeks when I would begrudge myself a measly few hundred for a new suit as a male. As I gave it more thought I realized there was something wrong with this picture. If I intended to remain female then it might make some sense, but ... The more I thought about it the more I wondered why I was enjoying this shopping trip so much. We took everything out to lock in the car before we returned to go up and face the wrath of the Cynthia Goddess.

Up at the third floor again, I was changed into the gown so we could continue where we left off yesterday. For some reason, I no longer felt as exposed as I had yesterday. The very slight covering of my chest offered by the diamond necklace, and the bracelet on my arm, made me feel as though I was better concealed than I had been yesterday. In fact, I felt kind of pretty. I was happily contemplating myself and the gown’s appearance as I gazed into the mirror noting the sparkle of the sunlight coming in through the windows as it refracted through my earrings. For some reason, everything just felt so right today.

Changes had been made to the gown, just not permanently, and it was hanging rather poorly. Now the 9mm and it's magazines went into the specially modified petticoat before they had me walk around for a bit to see how that felt. Cynthia decided to go for broke and we snapped the additional material onto the gown which allowed the second 9mm and it's magazines to go into place then I walked around some more. Several changes needed to be made before I was able to walk normally. The Beretta in the petticoats and the magazines which accompanied it were no longer banging painfully against my legs with every movement. The Beretta at my back felt comfortable as well, after we again made a few minor changes. Those required a slight adjustment to the placement of the three spare magazines back there as well.

The additional material which held my Beretta covered most of the zipper and necessitated additional difficulty when putting on or taking off the gown. Several vertical 'pleats' in the gown hid the snaps which allowed the external material to be secured in place when it was added. When the extra material was removed the pleats could be snapped closed allowing the gown to look fairly normal and still fit well, that is to say snugly against my torso. With the pleats open and the additional material snapped on, the gown looked a little strange until a Beretta and it’s magazines were in it then the extra weight pulled at it properly allowing it to again look nearly normal. It just looked like I had some sort of artsy decoration as a part of the back of my gown.

After they were happy with this idea for the modifications, they said they could have this first gown completed by late Saturday or at worst early Monday morning so I would be able to pick it up Saturday Afternoon, “but call first to be certain.”

The other one they hoped to have ready by Monday afternoon, if it arrived at the store no later than Thursday afternoon and we fitted it on Friday. I felt really good about this. Oh, not just about having my weapons and ID with me, but about seeing the pretty woman in the mirror. It made me feel really feminine and I almost wished James was here to give me another kiss.

Wednesday came and went with a lot of effort expended on the part of everyone with, hopefully, as much work being completed as energy spent. No matter how much planning was done, we all knew something would always crop up at the last minute. To top it all off, I’d been fussing with my new earrings almost constantly. I’d been cleaning my ears with the hydrogen peroxide as directed and turning the earrings every hour or two, probably a great deal more since I couldn’t seem to keep my hands away from them. It felt a little strange but Nicci said, “You’ll get used to it in a day or two.”

Okay, I hoped so.

I was again in jeans, sneaks, and a blouse with my fur jacket draped over my shoulders. It should have been on a hanger in the small closet next to the three bookshelves in my office but I didn’t wear it all that often so for the time being it and I were inseparable. I was happily going over reports from other details while I subconsciously rubbed my face in the fur. Everything was looking good. I signed the reports then checked with Ralph to see how his side was going. All was well, so today had been relatively uneventful as disasters went. That’s the way we liked it.

It was a couple of minutes before five my com buzzed and Nicci told me, “Mr. Thompson is on two.”

I thanked her then punched the button, “Hello Mr. Thompson, this is Lynnette Stevens.”

“I thought we settled all this Monday...” my heart jumped to my throat. What the heck did we mess up now?

“Call me, James.”

I breathed a sigh of relief and whispered, “James then.”

“I just wanted to let you know that plans have changed just a little and I will arrive Saturday morning not Monday.”

“That’s fine, we can accommodate that change.”

“Good. I was hoping. The reservations at the lodge were confirmed but they now start Sunday, not Monday.”

“Lodge? I don’t remember that.”

“I mentioned it when we met four weeks ago. Skiing ... Remember?”

“Yes, we remembered the Skiing but we have a “safe house” near the resort.”

“Oh. I didn’t know you had property in Vail. Okay, I can cancel the reservations.”

“Wait a minute. You didn’t say anything about Vail. We thought you were going Skiing near here during the two days, now three, prior to the University things. Our recordings of the meetings don’t say anything about Vail.”

“I’m certain something was said. I’ll check. Anyway, I need to know if 5 rooms are enough for your team?”

“Yes, but now we need to send the team to check out the lodge and the area in Vail plus the slopes you’ll be on. We need to get a feel for what’s going on there at this time. I’ve got to get them cracking on this. Could I have the information so they know which place to check out?”

“Okay. I’ll have my secretary add Thursday and Friday to your rooms so your advance team has somewhere to stay as they check it all out. Your room will adjoin mine, don’t forget your skies. See you Sunday.”

“Wait. James? Hello?”

“Yes, I’m still here.”

“James, I don’t ski.”

“You didn’t mention that.”

“We have a half dozen good men who ski. I never expected you wanted me to ski. I’ve never learned.”

“Well, I suppose I’ll just have to teach you. Can’t have my date not knowing how to ski. Get some clothes and skis and I’ll start your lessons. See you Saturday.”

“James. James?” Damn.

I can’t go to Vail while I still need to be here to have my gowns fitted. I punched the com button,

“Ralph, are you still in your office?”

“Sure thing. What’s up?”

“James! Could you come in here? And if Nicci is still out there bring her too. We’re in trouble.”

Ralph came in a minute later, dragging a reluctant Nicci with him.

“Thanks guys. Nicci you’re on double time probably for an hour or two.”

“I have a date tonight, Lynn,” she said almost plaintively.

“Okay. I’ll tell you everything quickly then you can take your two hours early tomorrow morning.”

“Sounds serious.”

“It is. Thompson just slipped us a mickey. He will be arriving Saturday, not Monday for three days of Skiing.”

“No sweat, Lynn.” Ralph threw out.

“Big sweat. He isn’t Skiing here. The reservations are in Vail.”

“VAIL!”

“Yes.”

“He didn’t tell us that.”

“It seems to have slipped his mind. We need our advance team up there tomorrow to start checking it all out. The six who are skiers need to go since they will have the best idea of what’s needed on the slopes. One other little problem. He wants me to ski with him.”

“So how is that a problem?”

“I can’t ski.”

“You grew up here, and you can’t ski? Aw, Shit.”

“Nicci, can you ski?”

“Sure, since I was eight. We can go tomorrow morning, Lynn, and purchase your stuff. A couple of outfits and the skis. I can give you some pointers Friday.”

“Why not tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow afternoon you are trying on the second gown so they can set it up for your armory, remember?”

I rolled my eyes, “I forgot that was tomorrow.”

Ralph looked puzzled, “armory?”

“I’m having the gowns altered to allow me to carry both of my Berettas plus their spare magazines concealed within the clothing.”

“Should we start calling you Ms. Bond?”

“You do, and you’ll be transferred to our Anchorage office.”

Ralph thought about that for a moment, “We don’t have an Anchorage office.”

“We will as soon as you get there.”

“Ouch,” he turned to Nicci, “How does she look in a strapless?”

“Great. She’ll have all the newbies panting after her, at least until they figure out she’s not just some pretty girl, but the boss. Anything else, Lynn? I’ll arrange airline tickets for nine and several rental cars when I come in tomorrow morning. The few other members of the traveling team can ride with the armored limo which can leave Friday morning. That will put them there no later than sometime Saturday. How does that work out?”

I gave that a little thought, “I think it will be okay but the limo should probably leave tomorrow morning. Place an advance on each of the men’s cards for nine hundred for food and assorted other things and tell them that is to hold them through the entire detail. We’ll fly most of the team back on Wednesday and two will drive the armored limo back which will make it available again by late the next Friday if the weather doesn’t change for the worse. You know what needs to happen, Nicci. Scat, have a nice date and I’ll see you in the morning.”

Nicci almost ran out of the office and I heard her go out the front door just seconds later.

“You know, Lynn. Nicci’s a good kid. She’s doing a hell of a job. You need to pay her more.”

“Yeah. I’ve got the lawyers looking at bring her in as a partner just the same as you, but that won’t happen for several months. I suppose she could be given a raise in the meantime. Think ten percent is enough? We could probably bump it by fifteen. I was thinking of a small expense account, say a thousand a month, and a company house too. One with enough floor space that she could handle clients and the occasional office party. She can take the title of executive secretary in the meantime along with the raise. Once we get the partnership taken care of then she will become the vice-president of operations. She’s pretty much doing that anyway. Set it up with accounting so she sees the fifteen percent on this paycheck. Don’t tell her, let her discover it Friday.”

“You’re a stinker, Lynn. Okay, I’ll make sure accounting fixes it so she sees the increase on this next paycheck retro for these two weeks.”

“Thanks, Ralph. She’ll know she’s important when she sees the increase and the expense account. I’ll be certain to stay out of her range Friday.”

“Why’s that?”

“A girl kissing a girl? I don’t need the office thinking I’m a lesbian.”

“Fat chance, Lynn. Word’s already around that you and James are an ‘item’.”

“What? Okay, Ralph, who started that rumor?”

“Well, let’s see. James goes out of the office saying ‘see you next week, sweetheart’ and then you are all dreamy the rest of the day and go clothes shopping suddenly with Nicci. The next day you’re in the office planning the James rendevous and looking all wistful and every time someone mentions his name your eyes light up. Not to mention your mumbling about being kissed every few minutes right after he left. No ... I have no idea who’s responsible for the rumor.”

Sweetheart? Why didn’t I remember that before now?

“Oh, great ... What do the guy’s think?”

“The newbies don’t think anything. The old hands have started a pool.”

“A pool? What sort of a pool?”

“Just a simple one.”

“Ralph, what is the purpose of the pool?”

“To see who guesses the closest.”

“RALPH, spill it. The closest to what?”

“Oh, nuthin’ much. The guy who guesses the closest to your engagement date wins the pool. They already have plans to start another for your wedding date.”

“I’m not following this, Ralph. I don’t even have a girlfri ... ” my face suddenly turned bright red, “Oh, No ... No! No, I’m not going to date James. NO! End of pool. No one wins. N. O. !!! Not going to happen. Besides, he knows I’m not a female.”

“Does he?”

“You were there when I told him.”

“And he believed you, of course, after seeing your female ID and talking to a bunch of the old hands before we arrived from the airport. And after taking a good look at you, kissing you and seeing how you reacted?”

“This is a joke, right? I mean, there is no way I am going to date another guy.”

“There’s still that kiss and the way you responded to it.”

“I’m dreaming. This has to be a nightmare.”

“Umm, possibly. I didn’t know we could all have the same nightmare at the same time and even when we were awake.”

“Ralph, if I’m dreaming this, then anything’s possible.”

“Good Point. Can you become pregnant? You better take some condoms with you to Vail.”

“RALPH!”

He walked out of my office laughing, leaving me there not knowing if I wanted to scream or cry. I had to put a halt to this, right now. I finally went home and worried all night.

 »  »  »  »  »  »

L. J. STEVENS, Vol. One
by
T D Aldoennetti

with contributing authors
Kate Hart & Denise Trask

All characters in this work have no existence outside the imagination of the author and have no relationship whatsoever to anyone or anything bearing the same name or names. The characters contained herein are not even distantly inspired by any specific individuals known or unknown to the author. All incidents described or alluded to within this work are pure invention. No affiliations, involvements or gender assignations due to the use of any images contained within this work are to be implied, intended or inferred.

Cover image copyright Maps.com and shown for clarification of area in which the story begins it’s evolution.

DUTY CALLS, L.J. Stevens Vol. One Copyright  © 2012 USA, Earth by R. A. Dumas.

All rights reserved.

The posting of this story chapter on the site known as BCTS (Big Closet - Top Shelf) in no way indicates this work is public domain and, in fact, this copyright contains an implicit license on the part of the author permitting this portion of the work to be maintained by BCTS for the reading enjoyment of those who frequent that site (BCTS) and such posting shall not be considered as authorization for any further posting or offering of this work at or upon any other location or site or in any other manner, print, electronic or otherwise.

Except for small excerpts of 200 words or less used in any review, the reproduction or utilization of this work in whole or in part in any form by any electronic, mechanical or other means now known or hereafter invented, designed, or conceived, or in any retrieval system for any purpose, is forbidden without written and specific license of the author or his/ her heirs or Estate.

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Things NEVER go as planned

Renee_Heart2's picture

This is just another one of those things that last munite detail that gets over looked. Espicaly by the client who never told them he was Sking up in Vail BIG mistake on his part. Anyway Lynn is becoming her self for a change & not pretending anymore she IS female just dosen't look like it yet below the waist that is.

As for having Nicci as VP & a 15% raise & a new tile at work & a company house... Lynn is going to spoil the poor girl lol but I think that's what Lynn has in mind anyway.

I look foward to seeing the next chapter soon I LOVE this story.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Westworld

WillowD's picture

"Where nothing can ever go worng......"

(For those that don't know, Westworld is a 1973 movie were lots of things go wrong and practically everyone winds up dead.)

Murphy's Law

If anything can go wrong, it probably will; otherwise known as 'Shit Happens'.

S.

Duty Calls chapter 17-33+

Looks like Murphy has struck with a Snafu.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Slow spot

There was a bit of a slow spot after she got volunteered to be an officer, but my has it picked back up, in spades! Wow!
hugs
Grover

YAY!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I'm really looking forward to James' arrival given the state Lynn is in at the moment! It should add a wonderful complication to the already complicated situation.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

great Story

Engagement Pool - LOL!

Dani

Swept off Her Feet

terrynaut's picture

Weeeee! This is fun and getting better all the time.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Heartly Pool

Hey, can I have a dip in that pool? Lynn's not likin not bein in control mefinks n once on the slopes it could be a meta4 for the whole deal n there's snow tellin where she's gonna land, like the way this story's pickin up pace k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me