Harry Potter - Season of Change - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version
Season of Change

by:
Elsbeth

There were only a few things in Harry Potter's life that never changed, he was the son of Lily and James Potter and that he was born a male. What happens when he discovers the truth.

Change

Disclaimer: I own nothing, all of it belong to J.K Rowling, I am just playing in her sandbox for a while.

Authors Note: AU: Its not my first fanfic but its my first Harry Potter, so I hope you enjoy it. The story starts at the end of the 5th Book.

Chapter 2

Walking down Diagon Alley, Alya found it unusually quiet. The people she did see moved their heads down. From what Tom said very few of his regular customers remained long after dark, even his business was hurting. As she continued, she could feel it, it was almost physical, the fear in the air.

"Oh, is that one of Helmut Lang's creations?" A young sandy-haired Witch greeted Alya warmly as she entered Madam Malkin's shop, a stark contrast to the feeling outside.

"Yes, it's from his latest summer collection," Alya replied smoothly, remembering reading an article on his most recent Paris fashions. Surprised that the Witch would know Muggle fashions, she didn't get a chance to say much more before an older woman, Alya recognized as Madam Malkin joined them.

"How may we help you today, dear?"

"Due to circumstances beyond my control, I find myself in the impossible situation of having to replace my entire wardrobe."

The older woman chuckled. "I see, well I am sure we can help you replace what you need. I am Anne Malkin, and this is my granddaughter and apprentice Margret.

"Ayla Black."

"It's a pleasure meeting you Miss Black." Alya could immediately see that her last name had some effect on the older woman. "Margret, let us move to the Chattox room, it will give Miss Black a little more privacy. Please make yourself comfortable, dear; I'll have my granddaughter measure you while I start bringing out some robes for you to select."

After ordering a collection of new knickers in a wide variety of colors, Alya found herself standing half-naked, in front of a girl she just met. As bizarre at that might be, admittedly, she was having fun. Of course, with the Malkin's catering to her every needs to be enhanced the experience quite a bit.

Admiring the beautifully made dark green robes, Alya stifled a giggle being somewhat distracted by her reflection. "Excuse me?"

Margret smiled. "I was wondering what school you attend. I graduated from Hogwarts three years ago."

"Oh, my father tutored me, mostly. Although nothing is set, I believe I might be attending Hogwarts this year." Sirius had tutored Alya most of her fourth year, so that much at least was true. As for Hogwarts, with the unprecedented freedom given to her by the transformation, Alya hadn't thought much about going back.

"Oh, I hope you can go."

As Margret spoke about her experience at school, Alya found the Hufflepuff's viewpoint of the last few years fascinating. Somehow, during their discussion, they started talking about the TriWizards Tournament, which Margret missed.

"Oh, did you know the French champion works around here?"

"Fleur Delacour?"

"Yes, she now works at Gringotts?"

Aya smiled. "Perhaps I'll get a glimpse of her before my meeting tomorrow."

Right, Alya thought to herself. What would she say to Fleur? 'Congratulations It's a girl!"

"I'm surprised that Ollivander's is closed." Changing the subject, Alya knew she needed to think about getting a new wand as her old one had slowly become unusable since her change.

The wand chooses its Witch or Wizard, and perhaps that was true. She no longer wanted to be that naíve eleven-year-old who the wand had chosen either, so perhaps it was time for them to part ways.

"I know. It's horrible to see so many of the shops closed" Shaking her head sadly; the former Hufflepuff helped Alya slip on a set of beautiful light blue robes, trimmed in Celtic knots.

"I like this one." Alya surprised herself by saying.

"I do as well, but the green one matches your eyes. " Looking towards the door, Margret leaned forward. "If you happen to need a new wand, although I haven't been there myself, go to Golovkin's. It sits across from Mr. Mulpepper's Apothecary in Knockturn Alley."

Nodding thanks, Alya looked up as Madam Malkin walked back into the dressing room with several more outfits for her to try on.

"I think those robes look lovely on you, dear." Madam Malkin said as she circled Alya. "I'll assume you wish the same charms on others you have already selected. Now, the important question, what time is your meeting tomorrow?"

"Right after lunch," Alya said hopefully.

"That will pose no problems."

"Thank you, so let's see. I believe I will wear the green tomorrow, adding the charms you have mentioned. "Alya continued adding several more outfits to her already large purchase.

Taking some notes, the older woman looked down and gave a half smile. "Not that those shoes aren't lovely my dear but…"

Alya gave the two women a smile, understanding that she still had a few more purchases to make. Thankfully, the Goblins didn't bat an eye when she walked into the Bank asking to get money from her alter-egos vault.

++++++++++

Standing half dressed, Alya laughed while admiring her new forest green dress robes. "Who would have thought the Boy-Who-Lived would be standing in her lacy black knickers, trying to decide what shoes for her to wear with her new outfit."

Suddenly, it became all too real, causing the raven-haired Witch to grab for one of the posters on the bed but missed falling down on her knees. Since this all began, part of her still believed that her gender change was nothing more than an exceptional prank. However, the meeting this afternoon proved otherwise. Goblins do not prank.

Had everything, her entire life been choreographed from the start? Who was she? Feeling sick, Alya closed her eyes, turning towards her Occlumency training.

Only after sneaking into the restricted section did she understand what Snape was trying to teach. Even better, she later found a Muggle book on meditation. Although in the end, it was a little too late, between the two books, she had managed at least learn how to center herself.

Closing her eyes, Alya pushed out a cleansing breath. "Alright, let's say that Sirius is my father. Who is my mother and why in sweet Morgana's name am I a girl?"

No answers were forthcoming, but there had been plenty of signs that her relationship with Sirius had been something more. For a start, he always looked at her with joy but with also a touch of unexplained sadness.

After the news of Harry selection as the fourth champion, Alya thought her godfather had lost his mind. She had never seen him so angry, half-expecting him to start hexing Dumbledore. Not that she could blame him.

Afterward, Sirius had become obsessed with pouring as much knowledge into her as possible. Almost every night, Alya would slip out of the castle to meet him in the Shrieking Shack. Most of the spells she learned were not found in any Hogwarts book, when asked about their origin, Sirius simply explained that they were Black Family magic.

Could that be why when the two weren't dueling, he would sit and entertain her with stories of the Black family? Did he want to make sure his daughter knew those stories so she could also pass them on? True Sirius never believed in the blood purity nonsense, but it never stopped him from being proud of his family's heritage.

So perhaps she was Sirius' daughter after all but how did it happen and how did she end up with the Potters?

++++++++++

Full dressed, with her hair in an intricate braid around a silver raven hairpin, Alya patiently waited in front of a Goblin teller. Although the trip through Diagon Alley had gone without incident, she still expected Dumbledore or someone else to drag her back to Privet Drive.

What she didn't know, since her transformation Ayla's mind and body had slowly become one. Someone meeting her now for the first time would be hard-pressed to admit that she wasn't born female. She even now felt comfortably into the role as a pureblood princess.

"What do you want?" The short fair-skinned humanoid didn't even bother to look up as he scribbled away on a piece of parchment.

"I have a meeting with my account manager Bogrod." Alya slipped the Gringotts notice in front of the teller, who looked at it for a moment before returning it.

"Third door on the left."

Nodding thanks, Alya strolled through the bank finding a large armored goblin guarding the door. Without a word, she passed by, entering a small office where an ancient looking Goblin sat behind a mahogany desk.

"On time I see, take a seat." Shuffling through a few papers, the account manager finally looked up and said. "Miss Alya Cassiopeia Black, Head of House Black, Heiress of House Potter."

"Yes," Alya said, although not as sure as she was a few moments before.

"Please sign here." The Goblin passed her a quill and a blank parchment.

"It's a blood quill."

"Of course."

Grimacing to herself, she signed her full name for the first time.

Taking the parchment and quill back, the Goblin looked down and nodded. "Alya Cassiopeia Black, Head of House Black and Heiress of House Potter although Alya Black would have been sufficient. Let's see..." Nodding to himself, he continued. "Daughter of Sirius Black and Lily Potter nee Evans, excellent, we can now proceed."

If the Goblin noticed the shocked face on Alya, he gave no notice. She found herself unable to breathe at the enormity of the news. Her whole life had been one big lie. She wondered what the account manager would think if she suddenly threw up on his desk.

"My name is Bogrod. I am the account manager of the Black Family."

“I see, I'm a little confused. I always assumed that the Black's line of succession ran through a male heir." Alya still tried to keep to the matter at hand, feeling numb at the news of her birth parents' names.

"That might have been true in the last hundred years or so; however like many pureblood families that have not always been the case." Passing over a small rosewood box with the Black family crest etched upon it, he continued. "If there is any doubt, I have an item that will easily answer that question."

Nodding, she opened the small box revealing a beautiful goblin made platinum ring. She felt a small pinch as it slid onto her finger. "I felt a…."

"Yes, it drew blood, so it appears that Black Family Magic agrees with you claiming Head of House."

"And if it didn't."

"You would be dead," Bogrod spoke in the same tone as one might speak about the weather.

"I see, I have a quick question before we continue. My name?"

The Goblin looked up confused. "Yes."

"I mean, when did you…why did you…I thought Harry Potter was made an heir."

The account manager looked at her for a moment. "Obviously you were mistaken. However, if you wish to talk to someone about the Potter holdings, you will have to set up another appointment."

Alya had no clue how to respond to that answer, did Sirius do something to make her his daughter at the time of his death. No, that made no sense. According to the Goblins, she was the daughter of Lily Potter and Sirius Black.

Ignoring the pensive and somewhat nauseous look on Alya face, the account manager continued. "Everything goes to you, however as Head of House, you may honor any or all of the other requests." Picking up another parchment from a pile of papers the goblin said, "Please look this over document; it is your father's will. You will have to determine what will be released according to his wishes."

Startled she quickly looked over the Will. "That's different. I'll have to read through it but if you would please go ahead and release the funds to Remus Lupin and Arthur Weasley."

Pushing aside other thoughts, Alya it odd that she could select what to validate in Sirius Will but at least for those two names, she didn't have a problem. Although not a significant amount of gold, Alya knew both men would put it to good use. Should she just release the rest, something told her no.

"Andromeda Tonks, does she happen to be related to a Nymphadora Tonks?"

"Yes, Nymphadora Tonks is her daughter. Andromeda Tonks was disowned after marrying a Muggle-born named Theodore Tonks." Bogrod shrugged.

"Sirius, my father, would like to bring Andromeda back into the Black family. Is that going to be a problem?"

The Goblin shook his head. "Not at all, as Head of House you are required to fill out a handful forms which we have already prepared for you."

"Sounds like I might need a solicitor," Aya said while looking over the paperwork.

"I recommend the firm Tonks, Bradley and Heywood."

Alya gave a soft giggle. "Tonks…would not that be a conflict of interest?"

Bogrod gave a toothy grin. "The Blacks would just call it good business."

"I see, well can you set up an appointment for me?" Alya asked while starting on another stack of documents passed to her.

"I will see what I can do." The Goblin wrote something down before picking up his copy of the papers Alya had in her hand. "As you might have noticed, the Black portfolio is quite diverse."

"What an egregious amount of wealth." Alya thought to herself. Besides gems and coin, the family had an interest in an incredible number of businesses in the magical and Muggle world.

"I'm surprised at the amount of Muggle investments."

"Indeed." Bogrod nodded but kept in eye on the Witch to see how she reacted. "Orion Black and his father were pragmatists as well as good businessmen. Unlike many in their household, both did quite a bit of business in the Muggle world."

Alya gave a small smile; she started to find her new family was much more complicated and interesting than they first appeared. Noticing the documents included a number properties scattered all over the world, she found the one she was looking for.

"12 Grimmauld Place," Alya commented, feeling mixed about ever stepping foot into that house again. Admittedly, she also wasn't thrilled about dealing with that particular House Elf. Still, it was the Black's ancestral home, her home. That gave her a warm feeling, something she realized she never had, a real home of her own.

Alya suddenly called out. "Kreacher."

An ancient looking House Elf appeared in the center of the room. "Nasty brat…" He started to say then stopped. "Little Miss? How can you be here with Black magic?"

"Hello, Kreacher." Alya smiled while showing her ring. "I am Alya Cassiopeia Black, the new Head of House."

The House Elf studied her carefully for a moment before happily bobbing his head up and down. "How may I help you, Milady?"

"Are the others still living at 12 Grimmauld Place?"

"No, the blood traitors and Mudbloods have left."

It seems his values had not changed much, Ayla thought, she would have to work on that later. Reaching into her pouch, she pulled out a handful of gold coins and a key.

"Please pay Tom what I owe him for the room at the Leaky Cauldron. You will find my things in room 311."

"Does that mean you are coming to live with Kreacher, little Miss?" He asked hopefully.

"Yes. When I'm finished here, I will call upon you to take me home. Oh, if you would, Kreacher, please start cleaning Grimmauld Place. As it is right now, it's less than habitable."

Alya thought about that daunting task. Perhaps Dobby might be willing to help. If nothing else, it would be amusing to see her friend's reaction to her sudden change in gender.

As the old Black House Elf disappeared, Bogrod shook his head. "Interesting fellow…are you ready to see your vaults?"

*Edited 4/14/17 Eslbeth*

up
307 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a very interesting start

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this. if you want some different opinions on this you might consider posting it on www.tthfanfic.org also. there are a lot of HP fanfic's there of all kinds, might get you a wider set of readers. thanks for sharing

More fantic

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, you can find my writing on https://www.fanfiction.net/ as well. Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Hmm so a spell to hide the

truth, from birth, and then after the final caster dies it loses strength till the truth of Alya Cassiopeia Black shines through.

Oh What fun you have given us to try to guess whats going on.

Thanks so very much for this very entertaining story

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Very entertaining story

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks Desiree, yea Alya has her work cut out for her. Thanks for reading, Im happy your enjoying the story

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Very fast paced!

It won't stop me from reading it, but I do feel like this is an exceptionally fast paced fiction thus far. I understand the desire to skip and/or gloss over portions of the orientation given how familiar the Harry Potter universe (and the fanfiction thereof) is to many, but not having read much HP fanfic myself, I feel slightly disoriented. Some of the details bear a little more explanation, and I'd also like to see a slightly more comprehensive insight into Harry/Ayla's thoughts/motivations.

Nevertheless, I'm eagerly awaiting further chapters. Hopefully you'll find some time to dedicate to exposition for a few of the denser readers (myself included)!

Very fast paced!

Elsbeth's picture

I can see that, but as you guessed trying to move forward into the meat of the story. Alya has things to work through, she is mostly going on adrenaline, eventually its going to come to a halt :)

I'm happy your liking the story & thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Wow... either James Potter

Wow... either James Potter was impotent or Sirius Black was pretty much the biggest asshole alive. Holy crap, having a kid with your best friend's wife...
On the other hand, what the hell were they thinking when they made Girl-Harry a boy?

Where is the point of divergence of this story from canon? This seems a bit different than I remember form the fourth and fifth books...

Why does the wand stop working? What the hell did that transformation do to Harry?

Right now the whole situation seems a bit surreal. Harry has to assume he's been pranked. His magic is stopping to work (or at least his wand) and the first thing he does is clothing shopping... "Chrm Chrm" - to quote Umbridge. What is going on?

Thank you for writing this interesting story,
Beyogi

seem to remember that

"I'm surprise that Ollivander's is closed." Changing the subject, Alya knew she needed to think about getting a new wand as her old one had slowly become unusable since her change.

The wand chooses its Witch or Wizard, and perhaps that was true. She no longer wanted to be that naïve eleven year old who the wand had chosen either, so perhaps it was time for them to part ways.

and that's the only place Harry knew of for wands.

Have i said how entertaining this is to Us, VERY

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

James Potter

Elsbeth's picture

Very good question :) but your right lots of stuff in the past and the question is who knew - did Dumbledore, did Peter ..heck did James?\

Well for Harry, its already gone off canon, although in the background its merrily moving forward. However there are a few changes already where Alya ended up making a difference

I'm happy your liking the story & thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Ok, I still don't get....

Some of it, but I'm learning! Reading some of the comments helps. Elsbeth dear, do I have this right, Harry was born a girl, changed to a boy very early on, and just now has changed back? If not I'm hopelessly lost! (LOL!). Loving Hugs Talia

HP

Elsbeth's picture

Yea, it sort of assumes you have some HP knowledge but yes you have the gist of it so far :)

-Elsbeth

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Enjoying this Elsbeth

Podracer's picture

Of course, as a HP fan I had to have a look, and can see this is going to be An Adventure. I don't care that the original is a "kid's" story. Hah, yeah - I'm on the latest of my several childhoods anyway.

A little typo has me thinking; I had to rewind and check it was not a mis-read instead ;) It inspired this little chain:

Alya became Ayla, who is Jean Auel's powerful female character, then flipping it back, it was close to Frank Herbert's Alia, damaged, dangerous and tragic. I am sure Miss Black isn't quite that, but has her own steel to show us in the future.

I will be reading the rest of this with interest.

"Reach for the sun."

Bogrod

WillowD's picture

I'm wondering if he knows Alya used to be Harry. Still loving this story. And loving the fact that there are so many more chapters already written.