The Knack : The Praefectus wife

Printer-friendly version
lights06.gif


The Knack

by:

Elsbeth

Anthony Rossi trowel moved with great care over the remains of an ancient Roman urn. It was a good find, but he always had the knack of finding things.

For the last three years, he had spent his summers digging at Tel-Bar, one of the many ancient sites that dot northern Israel.

Digging on a Tel was always exciting as layers of civilization were built on top of one another, creating the hills. It was common for one team at a Tel-Bar to spend part of the summer removing trenches from the 1967 war, while another team discovered artifacts from Israel’s Bronze Age.

Not one knew why he picked this particular dig from so many to choose from. But everyone knew that a dig in which the young man worked, discoveries were to be found.

“Not bad.” Aharon, the senior archeologist, who had been working on the site for thirty years, knelt down and pulled out a small brush from his shirt pocket.

“You were right. We needed to dig here. How did you know?”

Anthony pointed to the Roman walls that dotted the hill. “By the way it looks, this must have been a residential home.”

“You have a good eye.” with decades of skill, the old archaeologist continued to brush away centuries of dirt. “Leave it in situ; I would like to get some pictures first,”

Aharon motioned to Eli, one of Anthony’s best friends, and the dig’s photographer.

“Also, before lunch, I would like the two of you to pull down a wall near the market quarter.”

Anthony greeted his friend, rising to help him set up the shot. God, it was hot, he pulled off his large floppy hat and wiped the sweat from his brow. But it was always hot here, even back then.

Soon it would be too hot to work out in the sun. The young American had been looking forward to a swim in the river Jordan before the team spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning pottery under the shade of one of the large Cyprus trees.

With the urns photographed and the camera packed away, the two friends made their way across the Tel to a new section uncovered last year. “I hate tearing down perfectly good walls,” Anthony said sadly, as he leaped over a rifle pit.

Eli grinned, “I am sure the professor thinks Roman history is fascinating, but that is not why we are digging here.”

The Roman layer was dated to the Roman occupation of Israel. Interesting as that was the Israeli archeologists were more dedicated to peeling away the debris of several more centuries to uncover the ruins of one of King David’s cities.

As the pair climbed over another long Roman wall, they were greeted by the Druse workers who already were moving some of the larger stones.

“Well, I really could spend a lifetime studying this layer.”

Eli knew his friend's passion for Roman history and gave a sympathetic grunt before passing him a pick.

“Why I thought you knew everything about Roman history.”

“Shut up.” Anthony laughed before starting to dig.

Eli grinned, but truthfully, Anthony’s knowledge bordered on the creepy sometimes. For some born in America, he knew his way around Old Jerusalem like he was born there.

While the pair tore down the wall, the Druse workers carted away the large stones, and by the time the sun was high overhead, the group had made good progress.

“Eli, hold on a second,” Anthony stopped the young Israelis next stroke.

“What you find?” Eli was happy to stop, it was hot, and sweat was pouring over his back. Sitting down, he watched his friend work.

Anthony slid down into the wide trench now that rocks were removed. Something has caught his eye, and he did not want Eli’s next swing to destroy it. With brush in hand, his quick movements revealed a familiar white object, “Eli, you had better get the professor.”

The old archeologist found Anthony meticulously cleaning away the dirt from what looked like a human skull. “So, Anthony, what have you found?”

“Human remains,” Anthony leaned back on his legs.

The skeleton appeared to be mostly intact with bits of black metal that covered the skeleton's chest.

“Lepitus,” the young man whispered sadly before taking a seat.

“What did you say, Anthony?” Aharon looked confused as to why the young man seemed visibly upset.

“Nothing, so that’s what the third this season,” Anthony sat back with his wall against the trench, hiding the fact that he was gently brushing the dirt from the skull.

Aharon nodded, digging up remains was a delicate business as one did not know what religious group would be offended. If an archeologist did not show great care, they would find themselves surrounded by protesters.

“Yes, but this would be the first found underneath a wall,” Eli commented.

“True,” Anthony chuckled.

“What's that?” Leaning forward, the young Israeli pointed at a black object embedded in the ground next to the skeleton’s head.

“Looks like a dagger,” Anthony stopped his work on the skull to examine the iron artifact. As he touched the dagger, the world began to spin, and all went black.

--0--

“Working late again,” Florin Quadratus commander of the urban cohort looked up from his work as his young wife entered the room.

“Antonia, what a pleasant surprise.

The Praefectus gave her a gentle smile. To be uprooted from home and without complaint, travel all the way to this troubled land was almost too much to ask for a wife. But as she told him many times, where you go, I go.

Kissing his temple, the young woman sat down, motioning to the slaves that had followed her to start setting down a light meal of fish, cold meat, bread, and vegetable.

Reaching over, he touched her belly. “And how are you this evening, my son.”

“Could be a daughter.” Antonia smiled while nibbling on a piece of meat. “Though goddess knows, he eats like one. Soon I am going to look like a horse.”

“Perhaps but still beautiful.”

Leaning over, she kissed her husband before breaking up some bread to dip in olive oil. “I take it that Lepidus will be coming over tonight again.”

“Afraid so.” Florin bit his lip. “Antonia, can’t I convince you to at least travel to Caesarea?”

“Where you go, I go.” She said firmly.

They both look up as a squad of men enters the villa.

“Praefectus,” the second in command greeted the two before leaning over to whisper. “Another body has been found in the merchant quarters.”

“Zealots,” Florin said in disgust.

This was the second victim this week and a total of five in the last month. A body or two of undesirables turning up now and then were expected but not the bodies of respected members of the community.

“Sir, the citizens are getting nervous. They are beginning to doubt Roman law,” the young man said stiffly as if the deaths were a personal slight on him.

“Lepidus, you didn’t move the body?” Antonia asked.

The young man looked up, surprised, and then turned to his commander, who just grinned.

“What you think I married her just for her pretty face?”

“No, sir.”

Florin frowned. He needed to see the body. So far, all the victims were slain by a single thrust to the back of the head with a razor-sharp dagger and then left for the Urbana patrols to find. It was as if the zealots were taunting them.

“I need to see the body. The Zealots need to know that they are not free to murder with impunity. Lepidus, I want these people.”

The young legionnaire nodded, “Yes, sir, so do I.”

Antonia spoke with steel in her voice. “Lepidus, you will watch each other's backs. You will both come back home tonight.”

“Yes, my lady, I will protect him with my life.”

The young woman nodded, trying to ignore the horrible feeling in her stomach.

--0--

A woman’s voice greeted Anthony as he walked off Ben Yehuda Street and into his favorite pub in Jerusalem.

“Anthony, I didn’t expect to see you until next week,” A small woman with gray hair pulled up in a bun moved around the bar and gave Anthony a motherly hug. Moran, the owner of the Grenadier, was one of Anthony’s favorite people.

“The professor gave me some time off,” Anthony explained his trouble with the heat, or at least that what he told everyone.

He could see that his usual table was taken by another couple. Moving through the crowded bar, he began to make his way to the back.

It was the middle of the tourist season, and the Grenadier was one of the only taverns in Jerusalem, not closed for the Sabbath.

“I’ll sit in the back.”

The tavern was a favorite of many archeologists who dug in the holy land. Instead of celebrities on the tavern’s walls, one found photographs of famous archeologists such as Schleaman, Howard, and Abraham.

Moran’s late husband, a color sergeant from the Jerusalem garrison, had spent most of his free time working on digs throughout the holy land.

“Your usual love?” Moran asked.

“Please.”

Anthony had spent most of the day sitting in Jerusalem’s Roman Quarter alone with a lifetime of ancient memories. Not the first time, nor did he expect the last.

He missed the shops, the people of the Roman Quarter. Still, it was relatively cool in the summer and a great place for tourist watching.

Anthony found that of all the places in the Holy land, he was the most comfortable sitting in its cool halls. Like Le Marais in Paris and Hyde Park in London.

“Are you going back in the morning after the Sabbath? “ Moran asked as she set down an artichoke salad and a large steak, the Grenadier’s special.

“No, I’ll be here until Monday. I figured since I have a few extra days, I will take a little time sightseeing.”

Yes, that would be good. It would be like visiting home.

--0--

“Praefectus, this way, I had left the body with a ten squad under the command of Legionnaire Basil,” Lepidus squad had found the body next to one of the new warehouses being built.

The pair moved quickly into a new building site only to find it empty, “I thought you said you left Legionnaire Basil with a ten squad.” Praefectus Florin looked around, nobody, no legionnaires.

“Yes sir, I did,” the two suddenly realized how alone they were.

“Well, you can reprimand Legionnaire Basil another time for leaving his post. I suggest we make our way back to the barracks.” Florin cursed himself for not taking a ten squad with him, as his wife suggested.

Lepitus nodded, “Yes sir, I think that is a good idea,” was still in the air when six cloaked men exploded out of the darkness.

--0--

Eli greeted Anthony as he stepped off the bus and asked him how he was feeling.

“Pretty good, but I didn’t come to Israel to spend my time as a tourist.” Anthony began the long walk up the Tel, knowing that his work in the trench was not done.

Eli followed. “I thought you might find this interesting, that skeleton we found Aharon thinks the person was-”

“Murdered,” Anthony completed the sentence.

Eli was impressed, “How did you know?”

“Odd place to be buried, wouldn’t you say.” It was not a guess when Anthony closed his eyes. He could see Lepitus fall to the blades of the cloaked assassins.

“Welcome back, Anthony, you feeling up to digging today,” Aharon greeted Anthony warmly.

Anthony said he was ready, but the death of the young legionnaire was still in his mind

--0--

Praefectus Florin stabbed the assassin in front of him and was rewarded with a scream. Two more were on the ground, Lepitus taking another with him before he fell.

The Roman officer's victory was short-lived as remaining assassins, along with three new figures pressed the attack. It was now difficult to block all of their blows. Florin thanked the gods for his armor, but still it was only a matter of time before he shared Lepitus’ fate.

He knew that his wife was going to be angry with him when they reunited in Elysium.

--0--

“After lunch, I’d like to take a walk around where we found that skeleton.”

Eli, who had been taking photos all day, didn't mind the diversion, “Sure, if you think we will find something else interesting.”

Anthony shrugged, “Can't hurt.”

Turned away, his friend did not see the single tear running down his face. Closing his eyes, Anthony could see the fight in his mind's eye.

Back and forth, the men fought, Florin, trying to retreat back to the main road to safety to his wife and child.

“Let’s take a look over there,” Anthony turned to Eli and a handful of Druse workers and pointed to a piece of open ground.

Aharon was thrilled when the group unearthed what appeared to be a trash pit. It was the young man’s best finds to date. And a brilliant discovery for any archaeology site.

But another surprise lay at the bottom of the pit, the remains of another skeleton.

Only Anthony knew it was Perfectas Florin Quadratus.

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

hmm I wonder if Anthony is

hmm I wonder if Anthony is the reincarnated praefectus or was the praefectus immortal?

Huh?

Florin was the praefectus. Antonia was the praefectus's wife.

Eric

Echoes of history indeed

Nyssa's picture

I'm assuming the coincidental names between Anthony and Antonia isn't actually a coincidence? But how would she have seen the fight? I'm tuned in, popcorn ready...