Acidalia 14

Printer-friendly version

Two scientist invent a transgender virus in the attempt to heal a crippled man

I know it's been a long time coming. Hope it was worth the wait. As Always please leave a comment.

Previously: Dr's Sam Grayson nd Laura Wayne created a retro virus meant to cure Sam of the disease that robbed him of use of his legs. The virus had the unexpected effect of turning Sam Female. Unknown to both scientists a single does was stolen from the lab by DR. Carla Ryson, who gave it to her sick nephew to cute him of his cancer. From there the virus has spread to all corners of the world. The UN has blockaded US ports. Canada has forced the US to give up land in the north. Meanwhile life goes on for those trying to live in this trying time. This is their story....

Acidalia XIV

Thursday August 29 6:15 am EDT Virginia, The farm house:

Harkin turned his rented midnight blue Chevy Suburban up the long dirt driveway that led to the farm house. The large S.U.V swayed a bit from side to side but otherwise handled the bumps and uneven spots with ease. The trees hung over the road giving it the illusion of being covered like one of those old wooden bridges.

As he emerged from the tree covering he was greeted by the immense natural clapboarded front of the house. There were several vehicles parked in front of it including a smashed up green Pontiac.

About thirty feet beyond the wrecked car, just shy of the cul-de-sac at the end of the dirt drive was something large covered with a flimsy red stained sheet.

Harkin shook his head and threw the Suburban into park. He hopped out and drew in a deep breath, enjoying the smell of the early morning summer air.

The tall dark haired man ambled over to where the sheet lay. Getting down onto one knee he gently lifted the flimsy cover revealing the body of Carlos underneath. The smell of decomposition, which had been evident as he approached, became even more pungent with the sheet pulled back, causing him to wave a hand under his nose.

‘Poor bastard. Looks like someone hit him with a semi.’ Harkin thought as he dropped the sheet back over him.

Standing back up he surveyed the area, trying to figure out where to begin the clean up. The whole place was going to need to be scrubbed up and that was going to be quite the undertaking. If it hadn’t been for the need of absolute secrecy he would have brought at least a dozen of his men with him to help.

‘Wonder if Carlyle would mind if I just burned the whole thing down.’ He thought wistfully all the while knowing that wasn’t an option.

He turned to head back to the truck when a deep voice called out “Alright you, stop right there.” The order was followed by the sharp click of a rifle’s hammer being pulled back.

Harkin did as instructed then turned around to see who it was that threatened him.

“Hey! I don’t remember telling you to turn around!” the short scruffy guy hollered.

Harkin recognized him right away. “You’re Jimmy Rawlings right?”

“Maybe. Who the hell are you?”

“The name’s Harkin. I was told that there was something of a mess around here that needed to be cleaned up.”

“A mess huh? Who told you that?”

“Fraid I can’t tell you that Jimbo. That info’s a bit above your pay grade get me?”

Jimmy eyed the stranger warily as he struggled to decide what to do. He thumbed the half cocked gun hammer as he did.

Seeing his indecision Harkin said “Look, I know you guys were hooked up with Phil Bastion. I also know he’s dead somewhere out back there. Shot in the back of the head if my information is right. I’ve been sent here to help you guys clean this place up and get rid of anything the police might find interesting so how about we knock this bull shit off and get down to business?”

“H … how do you know all that?”

“Bastion answered to someone above him right?”

“Ya…I guess.”

“Well I answer to those same people.”

Jimmy eyed Harkin suspiciously but lowered the gun.

Harkin smiled and stepped over to Jimmy. He extended a hand. “Nice to meet you, Jim. You the only one here?”

“No. There’s a few more inside.”

“Great. That will make cleaning this mess up all the easier. I tell ya, Jimbo, I wasn’t looking forward to doing all this by myself. I’d have been here all friggen day, ya know?” Harkin put his arm around the shorter man’s shoulders and began to move him towards the house. “So why don’t we go inside and get me acquainted with everyone and then we’ll get going? How’s that sound to you?”

“I … I guess that would be alright.”

“You’re a good man, Jimmy boy.”

**********

Washington D.C. 9:30 am EDT:

Davis Carlyle slumped into the chair behind the large dark oak desk and sighed in frustration.

He had finally been able to extricate himself from Fuller’s office after spending most of the last hour getting chewed out for disappearing for most of the day yesterday.

The President had been furious at the thin explanation he offered. Carlyle had known he would be and mentally chastised himself for not putting more effort into placating the Chief Executive. He had honestly tried to come up with something that would work but he just couldn’t get himself to put the effort into convincing his boss.

Deep inside, he felt that he was so close to deposing the President that he didn’t really owe any explanations to the man. Between the horrible treaty he had negotiated with the Canadians, the Virus spreading through the population more quickly every day and the escape of Dr. Ryson, public confidence in the President was at an all time low.

He need to just bide his time and let the pressure build until it exploded and he could step in and pick up the pieces. The problem was he and his supporters were beginning to get a bit impatient and that could lead to mistakes, like the ones he had made this morning.

His cell phone rang pulling him out of his brooding. He pulled it out of his pocket and looked at the incoming number on the display. Recognizing it he flipped it open and said “One minute.”

Tossing the phone on the desk, Davis got out of his chair and walked over to the office door and closed it, clicking the lock home as he did.

Sitting back down at the desk he picked the phone up again and asked “Is this line secure?”

“It sure is.” The familiar voice of Harkin replied.

“Good. What’s the situation?”

“The mess at the farm house is all cleaned up. I just finished loading the last one onto the truck and I’ll be disposing of it within the hour.”

“Good. Did they give you any trouble?”

“Nope. They all pitched in to help clean up the original mess. Once I started cleaning them up there was a little problem but nothing I couldn’t handle.”

“Any word on my car?”

“I had my friend at the state police tracking it. Last I knew it was parked in a little town just outside Quantico.”

“Parked?”

“Yes sir. We figured she either decided to hole up or abandoned the car there. He was going to check it out but I haven’t had the chance to follow up yet. As soon as we’re done I’ll call him and see what’s going on with it.”

“Are you sure he can be trusted?”

“Yeah. He knows what will happen to his family if he fucks up.”

Davis sighed quietly. “You are one of the world’s great direct thinkers, Harkin.”

“You pay me to get results. I just take the most direct route to achieving them. Anyhow I need to get this truck taken care of. Is there anything else you need before I head back to San Francisco?”

“What about Dr. Ryson?”

“If she’s not in Quantico I have someone in mind to track her down unless you want me to make finding her my personal business.”

“No; if you think you have it under control I need you back on the coast. Someone needs to keep an eye on the Reverend and make sure he keeps his eye on our mutual goal.”

“Then I’ll be on my way back out there by days end.”

“Good. Get in touch with me once you meet up with him.” Carlyle instructed then snapped the phone closed.

************

Thursday August 29 4:37pm PDT San Francisco:

Warren Quinlan sighed deeply. He was exhausted and filled with shame. Sleep didn’t come easy these days and when it did it was filled with nightmares and the screams of the dying.

The last two weeks since joining Reverend Manning’s ever growing group of supporters and activists had been the worst of his life. The things he had to do, take part in, to prove his loyalty to the cause would haunt him for the rest of his life.

It made him almost wish they’d cared who he was and sent him away. He knew he’d been recognized but no one had said a word to him about the murder at the television studio. Warren got the distinct impression no one in this group cared what anyone had done in the past as long as you were loyal to the Reverends cause.

Just last night he had to stand and watch as the Reverend had pronounced his judgment on over two hundred people at a testing center just outside Sacramento. He had stood there numb with horror, but unable to act for fear of being discovered, as the place burned. Listening to the screams of the dying was more than he could bear but he could not turn away. It was a sort of penance mixed with the fear of discovery that kept him rooted.

The cheers of Manning’s followers sickened him even more then the sight of the flames and the smell of smoke mixed with burning flesh.

The Reverend himself and his small circle of closest men had beat a hasty retreat before the police could arrive, leaving the rest of his followers there to stir up trouble and add to the confusion at the scene as they mingled with the crowd of gawkers that had formed on the other side of the street. It shocked and saddened him that some of the bystanders in the crowd cheered and cat called as the fire raged.

Acidalia scared people and made them act stupidly as result of that fear.

On a personal level, the situation was made worse as all the effort and sacrifice that had been made to ingratiate himself had turned out to be for naught. His mission had been void since almost the moment he made contact with the followers.

The Sisters, who had sent him here to infiltrate Manning’s people, were done, the warehouse destroyed. Most had been captured and now sat in one quarantine center or another, others killed according to the reports he’d seen. The few who evaded authorities were scattered to the four winds and being hunted by every law enforcement agency from the military to the FBI to state and local police.

He had seen the new reports of their demise the day after he initially made contact with Manning’s people. Stupidly, he forged ahead, all the while hoping Ellie, Robi or someone would call, but no one did.

It seemed at the time the best plan of action. Continue with the plan until he was sure there was no one to report back to.

He fretted endlessly over the fate of Berta. There was no way to know if she’d escaped, been captured or worse. She had his number, there was no way she could have forgotten it. They both drilled into their heads before he left. Still she hadn’t called making him fear the worst.

He had Ellie’s number in the phone as well but hadn’t dared call it for fear of who might answer.

He sighed again wishing he’d never left her. Their budding romance hadn’t had much time to bloom but the feelings he had for Dr. Goings were surprising in their intensity. It would have been far better to share those few precious days between his leaving and the raid on the warehouse. A handful more hours of happiness in her arms with would have been worth anything the authorities might have done to him if he’d been captured.

Getting up off his cot, he walked over to the dirty fourth story window and looked out at the foggy gray afternoon sky. It was time for him to go. There was no way he could stay with this bunch of lunatics another minute if he hoped to save any part of his soul. It was just a question of how to do the most damage to the group before he did.

He reached into his pocket and ran his thumb over the smooth cover of the cell phone and thought.

Calling the FBI, the local police or any other law enforcement other agency was the easiest way to throw a monkey wrench into the Reverend’s plans but it needed to be done at the right time. Last night he’d managed to slip away in the confusion for a few minutes without being noticed. Afraid of his cell being traced, he called 911 from a pay phone. The time it took to find one on the next block was enough of a delay for Manning to be long gone by the time the police arrived.

The real problem was that he wasn’t high enough in the ranks to be told beforehand what the plans were before setting out each night. Without some idea where they were going to be he couldn’t plan his call ahead of time. On top of that he needed to make sure he wasn’t identified by the authorities at the scene after the call was placed. Being arrested would be completely counterproductive to his plans to find out what had happened to Robi.

‘What to do….what to do….’

The sudden ringing of the phone interrupted his reverie, startling him.

Flipping it open he said “hello?”

The deep raspy voice Albert, the short thick bald headed contact he’d been assigned to came through the other end. “Oh good, you’re up.”

“Yeah” Warren replied with a grimace at the volume of the man’s voice. “Late night last night.”

“For sure. But you did great. The mission was an unqualified success brother.” Albert told him eagerly. ”The Reverend is quite pleased with our entire group. So pleased he’s given us a special assignment for tonight. So get yourself showered and something to eat. We’re heading out in about two hours.”

“Special assignment? Any hints on what it might be?” Warren enquired trying to sound casual.

“You’ll see when we get there like everyone else, brother. I don’t want to spoil the surprise.” Albert replied. Warren could almost see his sly smile though the connection. “Anyway, get yourself ready and we’ll be by to get you.”

“You got it. See you in a couple hours.” Quinlan replied as Albert hung up.

He stared at the phone, thoughtfully, hoping this mission, whatever it may be, might be the chance he’d been hoping for.

Saying a quick silent prayer for Robi’s safety he grabbed a towel and headed for the shower.

**************

Four hours later he found himself stepping out of the back of the beat up black van on the dirt shoulder of a newly black topped road. A short distance up the road reflecting brightly in the vans headlights was a sign saying half a mile to the Dillon Quarantine facility.

Turning to look at his cohorts he asked “Dillon? This is our target? What are going to accomplish here?”

Albert looked over at him and the rest of their squad with a big toothy grin. “Everyone grab a gun from the bag, we’re gonna need em. Make sure you take plenty of ammo too. Not too far down the road is a huge crowd protesting the incarceration of the Acidalia sinners. Well over thousand people according to the Reverend. Our job is simple. We’re gonna start a stampede from the back. Get them to push as heard against the walls and fences as we can until the others get here with the heavy artillery and the show really begins.”

“Everyone will be in teams of two so we can cover each other.” Albert informed them as he handed each one an arm band with a large blood red colored cross on it. “Put those on so we don’t mistake you for one of the sinners. There are two other groups to the east and west of us. They’re going to help with the crush. Keep your eyes peeled for the arm bands. If you see anyone with a gun without one shoot em.”

Warren thanked the failing light for hiding the way he’d gone pale. They were really going to cause a riot here? How many would be hurt and killed he wondered.

He reached into his pocket again and fondled the phone, hoping he could manage to hold his ruse long enough to get away and call in the troops. Damn his need to avoid the authorities. There was no way he could allow this to happen. Prison be damned.

Roger Kippert, his team mate for the night gave him a nudge. “Hey brother you might want to get that arm band on. Things are going to get cooking pretty soon.”

Warren gave a distracted smile “Yeah, sorry just thinking about all the sinners were gonna send to hell tonight.”

No sooner had Warren gotten the arm band in place than a flare shot up into the dusky sky.

“And there’s the signal. Ok brothers, let’s get moving. Once we get up there on my signal we’re gonna open fire on anyone in sight. We don’t stop herding them til we meet up with the other groups. Anyone tries to break ranks, you shoot em, no questions asked; got it?” Albert added as they began to move down the road.

*******

Yvonne Logan stood on top of a small hill just beyond the tree line of the deep wooded area that bordered the right side of the road to Dillon staring at the immense crowd of protesters wondering exactly what she’d hoped to accomplish by coming here. It wasn’t like she was going to be able to walk up to the front gate and ask if Thomas was being held there even if there hadn’t been a zillion people milling around out in front of the facility.

This was the third quarantine she’d come to. The others had been the same. So many protesting the unlawful incarceration of their loved ones that she’d just watched and eventually moved on without ever trying to find Thomas.

Some internal voice had told her he wasn’t at either of them. The same voice was telling her the same thing now.

Suddenly, far off in the distance to her left she heard several loud pops followed quickly by a rising tide of screaming voices.

Looking over in the direction, she saw a series of distinctive flashes that could only have been automatic weapons firing. The flashes were immediately followed by a sudden tremendous surge forward by the crowd. A tidal wave of panic stricken humanity that began to sweep up everyone in its path and press them forward towards the walls surrounding the quarantine center.

Yvonne took an unconscious step back from the brink just in time to prevent being swept up the mob.

She stepped back behind the tree line and found refuge behind a small tree. Yvonne pulled her 9mm pistil out of the back of her waist band flicked the safety off and held it ready in case any of the those responsible for the stampede as its crazed victims came her way.

The screams and the sound of gun fire combined with the ever growing gloom of early evening, took away the need for stealth. She simply hunkered down and waited to see how this scene was going to play out.

She didn’t have to wait long before the loud report of a machine gun being fired came from less than a hundred feet to her. She watched uncomprehendingly as one black clad figure suddenly opened fire on the one next to him. The shooter then lifted his mask and flipped open what looked like a cell phone.

“Curiouser and Curiouser” she thought to herself as she watched from her hiding spot.

******

“Get on the horn now! We need reinforcements right away!” Sgt Anderson yelled to the private manning the security tower.

“Yes Sir” Private Barens replied as he dove for the radio. Picking the hand set up he pressed the direct line and shouted “This is Dillon Quarantine declaring a state of emergency!! Do you read? This is Dillon Quarantine declaring a state of emergency!! Unknown elements have started a stampede of protesters!! The weight of the crowd is becoming too much for the gates!! People are being crushed! We need help here right away!!”

Taking a breath, Barens waited for a reply but was treated to only static.

Again he shouted into the hand set repeating his call for help and again was met with no reply.

Gulping he stuck his head out the door and yelled “Sgt. we’re getting no reply Sir!”

Anderson turned pale then yelled back “Keep trying Private! A lot of people are going to die here tonight unless we get this situation under control!!”

“Yes Sir!” Barens replied and began shouting into the head set again.

******

The shooter closed the phone and cursed loudly. Completely baffled Yvonne stepped out from her cover and leveled her gun at him.

“Drop it!” she shouted at the darkly clad man.

He looked up at her with what she could only imagine was surprise. It was nearly impossible to see any detail of his face in the gathering gloom. He dropped the gun and the phone and raised his hands above his head.

She rushed over to his position just as she heard the sound of more shooters coming through the woods behind them. She grabbed her new prisoner’s gun and the phone off the ground. “Move!!” she ordered.

The gunman hesitated for a minute, and then complied by walking up the slight slope into the trees beyond.

Flashlight beams from every angle began to fill their wooded refuge. “Get down and be quiet!” she whispered as she waved the gun menacingly at her captive.

Moments later the woods were filled with gun toting men yelling loudly and firing into the air above the on rushing sea of people below.

Yvonne lifted the confiscated rifle and took aim just as her prisoner grabbed the end of the barrel and pulled it down. She grabbed her pistol and leveled it at her captive. He simply looked at her and shook his head no as he let go of the rifle and ducked back down.

Stunned Yvonne did the same.

The two lay there for what seemed like years until the barrage of gun toters moved down onto the road and met with another group that had been chasing the mob from behind. Her prisoner, if he could really be called one at this point tapped her shoulder and tugged on it in the direction of the deepening woods.

The two of them moved silently as they could off into the deepening darkness of the forest. They walked until they felt they were a safe distance away from the scene unfolding on the road. The two found a large rock and settled down behind it to catch their breath.

Have waited long enough for an explanation in her Yvonne looked over at her darkly clad companioning and demanded “OK! How bout you tell me what the fuck is going on here? Why are you dressed like them? Why did you shoot that guy you were with? Who were you trying to call? Why are you helping me if I was going to shoot you?”

He replied “I’m with them but not with them. I was trying to call for help but cell service is out.”

“You were with them but you’re not? What the hell is that supposed to mean? And who exactly were you calling for help? They have the army here you know…down behind those gates. Soldiers…real ones! Why would they need your help? You better start explaining, in full sentences that make sense!”

“Whatever is jamming my phone I’m sure is cutting their communications off too. No communications, no help. No help means this is going to be very bad very quickly if we don’t find a way to stop it. Can you try the phone again? See if we’re out of range of whatever is jamming it?”

The one time terrorist looked at him incredulously then flipped the phone open. “Looks like we have bars. Who am I supposed to call?”

“Call anyone! 911, the FBI, the Marines it doesn’t matter! Just tell someone what’s going on here and they need to get help here yesterday!” the man demanded.

Yvonne flipped open the phone and began to dial when a voice boomed over a loud speaker.

“My name” the voice began in a lazy Midwestern drawl “is Reverend Morris Manning. I am God’s messenger! You people are all sinners in our Lord’s eyes! You’re as guilty of defying God as those inside those walls! The Lord has sent me here as an agent of His justice! You all shall be cleansed! You and all those inside shall burn in God’s holy name!”

Yvonne dropped the phone as she saw a line of fire ignite behind the panic stricken crowd. She watched in horror as the flames grew to tremendous heights. So bright was the confabulation it seemed as if the sun had risen again but in the west instead of the east.

Her captive bent down and snatched the phone up pounding the keys furiously.

She heard him yelling into the phone and somehow managed to tear her gaze away from the flames. The flames had removed all shadow from his face and she gasped as she caught her first glimpse of it.

“I know you.” She said even more confused than ever.

******

“Sir..the fire….” It had grown so quickly the guards could already feel its heat. The smoke completely blotted out the stars above.

Anderson gaped in horror as the stench of burning leaves mixed with that of flesh and hair filed his nostrils. Communications were still out. There was no way to call for help.

“Christ!” he muttered. “Open the god damn gates!! Let those people in before they burn to death!!”

“But..but sarge…..”

“Don’t but me!! Just do it for Christ sakes!! Hurry!”

Private Frank Resters took off running, down the short flight of stairs from the lookout post to the guard booth. He yanked the door open and slammed the button that activated the gate motor. Nothing happened. He stood staring at it uncomprehendingly. Again he hit it, this time harder and still nothing.

“Jesus Christ, Resters!! What the fuck are you doing down there??”

Resters poked his head out the door “It won’t open!” he screamed back.

Anderson ran his hand though his hair, eyes wide with dawning comprehension. The truth of the situation was suddenly apparent.

The people, there were too many of them. The gates couldn’t open with that much weight on them. The motors just wouldn’t be able to handle the strain. Looking back over the railing he yelled “Get some men over by the emergency releases now!”

“But Sir…they’ll be crushed!” someone yelled back through the thickening smoke. He couldn’t see who.

“Get those fuckin gates open now!” He bellowed. “That’s an order!”

“Y…Yes Sir!” the same voice replied. Let’s go boys. Y’all don’t want to live forever do ya?”

Five soldiers ran across the yard and took up positions on the manual release levers. With all that weight on the gates all 4 would be needed to be thrown at once. The fifth soldier looked at his four compatriots. When all were in place he raised his arms then threw them downward.

The huge rod iron gates crashed open and the soldier was swept away in a human tide as the people trapped outside streamed into the perceived refuge.

****

“Reverend, the gates are open.”

Manning looked up from his prayer. One again god had shown him the way. He gave a silent thank you to his Lord then stood up. “Are our men in position?”

“Yes Reverend.”

“The army’s communications are still taken care of?”

“Yes sir.”

“Then let’s finish this.”

“Yes sir. I’ll send the word now.”

“Very well….”

**********

“Sarge…there’s no way to control this! They’re trampling each other down there!!”

“I know…I know..I just…..FUCK!” Anderson yelled in frustration. He looked out over the service road and saw the blaze had grown even bigger. As the flames marched forward more and more people pushed their way into the gates. The receiving yard was filling up quickly and the flow of bodies seemed like it would never end.

******

From their perch in the woods, Yvonne looked over at Quinlan and said “You’re the guy that killed that reporter.”

“Accused of it anyhow. But we don’t have time for that now…”

“True enough. Who did you call?”

“The State Police, but I don’t think they believed me.” He replied. “Not that they could do anything now any way….”

Warren’s sentence was cut short by a series of loud explosions coming from the direction of the quarantine center. He looked over and saw the building whose lights were barely visible through the smoke in the distance a minute ago now lit up like a candle as it burned.

“Oh my god!” Yvonne exclaimed as she fell to her knees.

Warren leaned down and pulled her to her feet. “Come on! We need to get out of here! I think the cops are going to start believing me now.”

“The people…all those people….” Yvonne cried as she allowed herself to be dragged away.

The pair ran through the woods putting as much distance as they could between them and the burning quarantine center. Abruptly the wood ended on another road. They stopped…both of them out of breath and heaving for air.

Off in the distance sirens wailed. From above the sound of helicopter blades passed by then quickly.

They walked along the road not knowing where it would take them, leaning on each other, in shock over what they’d just witnessed.

Finally some time shortly before dawn they came upon a deserted building and trudged wearily inside. They were both exhausted.

Yvonne walked over to a corner and slid to a sitting position as she cried. Warren could only watch her. He was to numb to offer her and comfort.

In his hand was the phone still. He looked at it for a long moment knowing it needed to be destroyed before the authorities had a chance to trace its signal and find them. He flipped it open. Deciding he had nothing to lose he dialed.

On the second ring it was answered by a familiar voice.

“Ellie? Oh thank god! It’s Warren…..”

Friday August 30th 12:45am the White House:

President Fuller stared at his remaining cabinet members. His eyes bulged, his face flushed with anger. “I asked you all a question and I want a goddamned answer right fucking now! How the hell could something like this happen? How is it local and state police arrived on the scene before the military even knew what was happening? How did they manage to cut all radio and land line connections at the same time?”

“Mr. President” Secretary of Defense Blake began “there are no words to explain how tragic this situation is. However I think right now the best thing to do is to figure out how we are going to spin this so it looks more like an overwhelming force attacked Dillon more than a screw up on our part. Things have been going so bad of late I’m not sure this administration can take another hit like this.”

Fuller gaped at him. “Are you seriously suggesting that covering this up is more important than finding how they managed to blow up a quarantine center….killing everyone inside and out by the way…that’s what you are suggesting Mr. Blake?”

“Sir” Davis Carlyle chirped in “I’m sure Mr. Blake means no disrespect. However he has a point. We can launch an internal investigation into the how’s and why’s at any time but right now we need to think of your ability to continue to govern despite what’s happened tonight. The country can ill afford a change of administration at this time of crisis.”

The President threw his hands up in the air. “You two are unbelievable! This isn’t about my presidency god damn it! This is about nearly three thousand people dying because this Reverend Morris person got the jump on us. Again! He managed to cut off all communication around the complex so that the only way we found out about it was because someone call nine fucking one one! And thank god they did because we might still not know what happened if they hadn’t!” Fuller glared at Blake. “I want answers on my desk by 10am tomorrow morning! I want to know how they did it and I want to know what we are going to do to bring him in and make sure this never happens again! Because if it does you’ll be out looking for another job! You and the Joint Chiefs! I’ve had enough of all these disasters! The military is supposed to inspire feelings of safety and comfort not ridicule!”

Taking a breath and biting back his temper Fuller looked at his press secretary. “Kerry, I want you to set up a press conference for 11am tomorrow.”

“Yes Mr. President.”

Fuller let out a frustrated sigh. “That’s it. Get your asses out of here and get me some god damned answers!”

The cabinet stood up and began to file out without a word.

Once outside the meeting room Carlyle pulled Blake aside. “What do you think? He asked.

“What do I think? I think you’re a fuckin mad man! That’s what I think. How could you let Manning get away with something like this? I thought you had him on a leash. For Christ sakes Davis! That was a ton of people that died there tonight!”

“A ton of infected people. People that would have died eventually anyhow. Either from the transformation or from living in quarantine. I think it was a mercy to go so fast personally.”

Blake blinked at him.

“Don’t look so shocked. You knew something like this was going to happen eventually. I think this is going to be close. One more good fuck up and the people should be ready to carry him out of the oval office and string him up in the rose garden.” Carlyle said with something akin to glee in his voice. “By the way did you speak to him about the vice presidency?”

“Yesterday morning he called me in and told me I was on the short list.”

“Did he say anything else?”

“He said he’d have a decision by week’s end on who he’s going to nominate.”

“Great news. I’ll have Harkin start eliminating the competition.”

Blake looked at him with disgust. “I need to get back to my office and come up with a plausible explanation of why the military didn’t reply to the calls for help.”

Friday August 30th 6am PDT San Jose:

Ellie Wolf knocked on the door of Nicole’s room. A moment later the six foot tall red head opened it.

“Good morning El. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Nothing special, love. Things have been so hectic since we left Grayson that we’ve had no time to talk so I thought I’d pay you a visit.” Ellie replied with a smile.

“Well come on in.” Nicole replied stepping out of the way of the diminutive former head of the Sisters.

Ellie stepped inside and surveyed the small shabby room her best friend had chosen. This was the first time she’d been in it since their group had found this run down abandoned motel that was serving as their temporary home for the moment.

The bed listed slightly to the right. The rug was so worn and threadbare that you could see bits of the concrete and torn padding beneath it. The walls were somewhat covered by peeling wall paper and there was a faint odor that no one really wanted to identify but at least the plumbing worked and there was hot water in the grungy showers.

The place was the very definition of temporary housing.

Nicole guided her over to a pair of rickety looking chairs, offering Ellie the better looking of the two. Ellie smiled and took a seat. Nicole took the one opposite and said with a smile “I’d offer you some coffee but I’m afraid to plug anything into the outlets here.”

Ellie smiled back then drew in a deep breath and sighed loudly.

“Are you ok hun? You look so tired.” Nicole asked. To her Ellie seemed highly agitated about something. Not that there wasn’t plenty to be agitated about these days but still it sat funny on her face

“Yes. I’ll be fine. Just a rough few days. Haven’t been sleeping much.”

Rough few days was about the biggest understatement of the year. They had been on the run since the night the warehouse was raided. Nicole still found it hard to believe that Ellie had managed to get her, Wendy, Sam and baby Sara out of the army’s clutches. The commander at Grayson must have been more concerned about the contents of Warren’s tape than Nicole would have imagined. Either way, for whatever his reasons, this was yet another debt she owed El.

“I need to talk to you about Vera. I’m at a loss as to what to do with her.” Ellie said with a slight edge to her voice.

“To do?”

“Yes. I haven’t had the time to share the truth with you since we left Grayson. Vera was working with the government. Dr. Blue told me and that Col. Jorden confirmed it.”

“She what?”

“That Col. Jorden told me she’d volunteered to help get Mia into the warehouse and helped her spy on us.”

Nicole shook her head. She had never liked Vera. They were constantly at odds with one another. Vera was so jealous of Nicole’s closeness with Ellie that it created constant friction any time they had to deal with each other. “Have you or are you planning to talk to her about what you know?” she inquired.

“I….I…no I haven’t. I wanted her to come to me and really bothers me is she’s yet to come forward. I allowed Mia to stay with us because she admitted her part in the plot and was genuinely sorry. Vera’s silence speaks volumes to me.”

Ellie’s frustration was readily apparent. It confused Nicole. El always seemed to have the answers no matter what the situation.

“Not that I have any love lost for her but is there any chance she’s just too scared to come forward?” she asked.

“Perhaps, but she must know Mia and I have talked. She saw us before we went to Grayson. Her refusal to say anything to me about this shows a fundamental lack of trust in me on her part. It makes me ask how I can possibly trust her anymore.”

“Fear can do funny things to people.”

“Yes…yes it can. I’ve prayed for guidance on this for the last two days and still I have no answers. I’m just so angry with her.” Ellie admitted.

“You’ve every right to be. Hell I am too. I’m trying to not let my general dislike for her color our conversation though.”

“If it were your decision to make, what would you do?”

I’d…I….I’d tell her she wasn’t welcome and send her on her way.”

“Yes. I suppose that’s the easiest, cleanest, way to handle things.”

“Have you spoken to any of the others about this?”

“Only Carol. She dislikes Vera even more than you.”

“What were her thoughts?”

“She feels Vera needs to die for what she’s done to us. For the pain she’s caused the ones captured and those that were killed.”

“Surely you’re not considering that as an option are you?”

Ellie sighed but said nothing. She looked up at her old friend but couldn’t maintain eye contact.

“Ellie you can’t kill her. Is she guilty of compromising us? Yes. Is she a royal pain in the ass? Yes. But does any of that deserve a death sentence? Since when have we become executioners?” Nicole argued vehemently.

“But what about Berta? What about Jill and all the others that have been captured or killed? Don’t we owe them some kind of justice?” Ellie retorted her voice rising.

“That brand of “justice” would dishonor their memories hun. I shouldn’t even have to tell you that. You should know!”

“I know love. But this is war. We have to do what needs to be done if we are to survive it.”

“War? When did this turn into a war? I thought our mission was to help those like us. I thought we were trying to help the infected. I thought God gave us a mission of compassion not one of vengeance and death!” Nicole yelled.

Ellie could see how agitated her friend was getting over the discussion. “Nicole please, sit down. These are just options we’re discussing.”

Nicole looked down at Ellie. She pounded her fist onto the table with enough force to break it! “My best friend, the woman that granted me my life’s wish, the woman that I love so dearly and look up to would never consider killing someone in cold blood an option!”

Ellie hung her head. Nicole’s words hurt her deeply. The fact that they should have been absolutely true made it even worse. Looking up with tears starting to run down her face she replied “You…your right sweetie. I’m sorry. I’m just so lost…”

She stood up stepped over to Nicole and hugged her fiercely. Nicole hugged her back. “I know you are sweetie, I am too. But you can’t let that anger turn you into something you’re not. I’m here for you. Whatever you need.”

The two friends stood there embracing each other for what seemed an eternity.

A soft knock on the door broke the moment.

Wiping tears from her eyes Nicole said “Come on in.”

Dr. Sam Grayson poked her head in. “Are you two ok in here?” she asked. “I heard shouting.”

“Just a little over emotional debate is all” Nicole replied with a smile as Sam stepped into the room with Sara in tow.

Ellie’s face lit up at the sight of the baby. “How is our youngest sister doing today?” she asked.

“She’s been pretty fussy all night. I don’t think she likes this place.”

“She’s not alone that’s for sure. We need to figure out what our next move is very soon.” Ellie replied.

“Any thoughts on that?” Sam asked.

“This place in Nebraska Nicole said they were going to send her and Wendy to sounds interesting. But it’s a long journey and I’m not sure what going there would accomplish. It’s not like they’d just open the gates and let us in cause we asked nice. Even if Nikki and Wendy showed off what they can do.”

“So why bother going there? There’s plenty more good we can do around here if we can find a new base of operations. Robi may be gone but we still have Mia. We can continue with our mission and help those in need.” Nicole added.

“I know sweetie. For some reason I just feel compelled to go there. Almost like it’s what we’re supposed to do.”

“What are we supposed to do?” Mia asked as she walked into the room.

“Good morning Dr. Blue.” Ellie replied.

“Hi Mia.” Nicole added.

“Good morning. So what are we supposed to do?” Mia asked again taking the baby from Ellie. “How’d my little angel this morning?” she ask as she lift Sara high in the air.

“Morning mom” Sam added

“Good morning Sam.” She replied with a smile as Mia leaned over and kissed her “daughters” cheek.

“We were just discussing what to do next when El mention maybe wanting to go to the fort up in Nebraska where they have all those special girls held.” Nicole chimed in.

Mia mulled the idea over for a moment before asking “To what end?”

“That is exactly what we were discussing when you walked in.” Sam replied.

“Before we go any further why don’t we get Wendy and Carol so they can add their input too?” Ellie said.

“Wendy and Carol? What bout Ve…”

“Yes! Wendy and Carol.” Ellie replied cutting Sam off.

Sam shot Mia a questioning look. Mia shrugged in return, thinking ‘There are so many things we need to talk about soon.’

Sam stepped out of the room and few minutes later returned flowed by a very sleepy looking giant of a woman in Wendy and the adolescent Carol.

Ellie was off in the corner finishing up a phone call.

“Wow you’re all up early” Carol exclaimed as she entered the small room.

With the 6 of them in there it was becoming a bit crowded, especially since Wendy took up the space of two women.

“So what’s with the pow wow folks?” Carol enquired

Ellie interrupted “That was Warren. He had to abandon the plan to infiltrate the Reverend’s group. Something horrible happened last night at the Dillon Quarantine and he couldn’t stay any longer. He’s with someone he met there and they want to catch up to us. He said they needed to find some transport and would meet us up the street at the mini mall in an hour.”

“What happened at Dillon?” Mia asked her concern obvious.

“Some kind of explosion. Manning’s followers attacked the facility last night and blew it up he said.” Ellie replied flatly. It was obvious she was trying to hold back her outrage.

“Oh my god those poor people! “Sam exclaimed! She looked over at Mia. “We…we sent them there…” Tears began to stream down her cheeks.

Mia handed Sara off to Carol and stepped over to her daughter hugging her tightly. “We didn’t send anyone any were. The military did. It wasn’t us.”

Sam sobbed uncontrollably as the other stood silently and waited. ”I have so much to answer for…”

“We all do.” Mia soothed.

One by one each of the women in the room joined the pair in a hug. Each reassuring Sam in her own way that what happened wasn’t her fault.

*******

After the emotional storm let up Carol asked “So what were you guys talking about before the call?”

“We’re discussing what we’re going to do next.” Nicole replied. “We were just debating whether to stay around here and look for a new base of operations or to go off and check out that Ft. Rawlings in Nebraska where they were going to send Wendy and me.”

Carol and Wendy both turned to look at Ellie. “Why would we go all the way to some army fort in Nebraska?” she asked.

Ellie looked at the five women in the room with her trying to read their faces. She debated internally, trying to come up with a logical reason for going on such a long trip with no clear objective. She sighed to herself. “I just feel it’s the thing to do.” She finally said. “I don’t have any other explanation beyond that. That’s why I wanted the two of you here along with the rest of us so we could all make this decision together.”

“What about Vera?”

“Vera isn’t going to be coming with us. After we’re done here I’m going to tell her. Wendy I’d like you to come with me.”

The hulking silent woman nodded her accent. Nicole looked perplexed but said nothing.

“We are at the top of the authorities wanted list. Every cop and member of the military is looking for us. If we stay we need to stay out of the spot light for a while til things cool off. If we leave the area we may be able to do more good in our travels than we can here right now. Plus there’s also the idea that the army has shanghaied god knows how many innocents and forced them into military service. I personally find that horrifying.”

“So do I” Mia chimed in. “but what can we do about it? Even if we made it that far without being caught, do you think they’d just say oh sure come on in or something?”

“Again Mia, I don’t know, maybe nothing. But if don’t at least try we’ll never find out.” Ellie replied.

Mia threw her hands up in surrender. She had learned the hard way arguing with Ellie Wolf once she’d made up her mind was a complete waste of time. The others would follow her no matter where she wanted to go. “I guess we need to go somewhere. Staying around here isn’t really an option so if that’s where you want to go I guess I’m in if everyone else is.”

Ellie scanned the rest of the faces in the room. “Sam? Nicole? Carol? Wendy? What do you have to say?”

“I’m in” Carol agreed.

“Me too.” added Sam.

“You’re my best friend El. When we started this I told you I’d follow you anywhere so yes, I’m in too.”

Wendy, unable to speak nodded in agreement.

“Looks like Nebraska it is then. Thank you all for your faith in me. I hope I’m not leading us into a disaster.” Ellie told them with tears glistening in her eyes.

“Well if you are, at least we’ll be in good company.” Sam joked as the other burst out laughing.

To Mia and Sam Ellie said “Why don’t you two get the baby ready to travel and we’ll all meet by the office in a few minutes. Nicole could you and Wendy stay a minute please I’ve one last thing I’d like to discuss.”

“I’ll come help you guys.” Carol said following Sam and Mia out of the room.

After the other left Ellie pulled her enhanced compatriots close and told them “After what’s happened since the warehouse incident I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. I’d like one or both of you at my side at all times. The military was obviously after me and I didn’t see it until it was too late. Not only do I trust you both implicitly but you have the ability to keep me safe if it should come to it.”

Wendy nodded as Nicole said “Of course El.”

“Thank you both. Now Nikki I want you to take carol and the others and meet up with Warren and his friend. He’s going to meet us at that little shopping center up the road. I’m going to take Wendy with me to talk to Vera. I can’t just sneak off. I need to give her an explanation why she’s being left behind. I owe her that much at least.

“Why don’t the rest of us wait and all go together?”

“Because Vera might not like being left behind and if you others are already gone we won’t have to worry about being slowed down by someone carrying a baby. Wendy and I can certainly outpace Vera by ourselves if it comes to it.”

Nicole looked at Ellie suspiciously. The explanation for them to leave first seemed thin, especially in light of their earlier conversation. ‘El’s never lied to me before’ she thought to herself ‘so why would you suddenly stop trusting her now? Because she seems different since we’ve been on the run.’ An unbidden voice chimed in.

Nicole rejected it immediately thinking. ’She’s just under a lot of stress.’

“Ok El, I’ll get the others and meet you in say an hour?”

“Yes. Wendy and I will meet up with you then at the shopping plaza.”

Ellie stood next to the silent giant Wendy and watched the others as they walked up the road. Soon as they were out of sight the pair turned and walked over to the room Vera had picked out. The short curly haired leader of the Sisters knocked on the door.

Vera started awake. She looked around the room momentarily confused. A second series of knocks finally registered with her. The short portly new woman waddled to the door sleepily. She cracked the door open as a wide smile as she saw who was there then threw it open wide.

“El, Wendy…good morning. Are we getting ready to go already? What time is it? I must have over slept. Come in while I get ready.” She told them.

The two women stepped into the room.

To Vera Ellie stated in a cool voice “The others have already left.”

“Already left? Where did they go?” Vera asked confused.

Ellie gave her a stern look. ”I know you were working with the army. Mia told me and that Col. Jorden confirmed it. He told me how you agreed to get Mia introduced to the rest of us. Mia told me how you made sure she was making reports, threatening to turn her in if she didn’t. You caused the others to be captured. You…who I trusted like a sister, a member of my family, betrayed us. Worse off you couldn’t even come clean afterward like Dr. Blue did. You hid the truth for days, lying to us all in your silence. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if you were still working for them.”

“El…I..” Vera stammered.

“Save it Vera! Nothing you can say will return the trust you’ve betrayed.” Ellie told her with resignation in her voice.

Turning to Wendy she said “Could you take care of her please?”

Vera stared wide eyes as Wendy stepped towards her. She tried to back up but there was nowhere to go in the small cramped room. Wendy had her cornered without really trying.

“Ellie….please..” she begged as Wendy reached out.

The hulking woman grabbed Vera by the throat and with surprisingly little effort crushed it in her mighty grip.

Vera fell to the floor, gasping and flopping about trying to get air into her crushed wind pipe. Eli and Wendy stood watching impassively until the end.

Ellie stepped over after It was over and checked the bloated woman’s pulse .

Finding none she looked up and said “Thank you Wendy.”

The diminutive leader stood, looked down at the fresh corpse with satisfaction then turned and walked out the door without looking back.

*********

The small strip all was all but deserted this time of day. It was too early for the few stores that were still in business to be open.

The four women spotted Warren waving frantically beside a red caravan as soon as they entered the overly large lot. He was standing next to a thin dark haired woman that none of them recognized.

Nicole sprinted towards him, leaving the other 3 struggling to keep up with the enhanced red head. Luckily for the sake of Warren’s ribs she slowed up at the last moment before grabbing him in a huge bear hug and lifting his 180lbs off the ground like he weighed nothing.

“Whoa there Nikki…careful I break.” He joked.

“Warren!!” She exclaimed with a gigantic smile on her face. “I’m so happy to see you. We were so worried about you when we lost contact.”

“I was worried about you guys too. Is…is Robi with you?” He asked timidly as she put him down.

“No…I….we…we don’t…we’re not sure what happened to her. There was so much going on…so many lights…all we could do is try to get the people in our little group out. I’m so sorry.”

He looked discouraged. “Well we’ll just have to go find her.”

The others were just arriving as he said , Nikki, I’d like you to meet Yvonne Logan. Yvonne this is Nicole.

Yvonne smiled wearily. “Nice to meet you, Nicole. That was quite a display of strength there. You must be one of those enhanced women they were talking about.”

Nicole smiled. “A pleasure to meet you too, Yvonne.”

Carol sprung on Warren. “Oh my god I’m so happy to see you!” She blurted sounding more like the teenager she resembled than ever.

“Glad to see you’re alright too Carol. Meet Yvonne.”

Carol stuck out a hand. “Pleased to meetcha.”

Taking the small girls hand Yvonne replied. “Same for me.” She looked over at the short woman carrying the baby trying to play name the face.

Warren nodded at Mia coolly. “Dr. Blue.”

“Mr. Quinlan. Good to see you still in one piece.” She replied in the same cool tone.

“Warren and Yvonne I’d like you both to meet little baby Sara and her mom Dr. Sam Grayson.” Nicole said enthusiastically. She’d really come to adore Sam and the baby.

Yvonne’s jaw dropped. She pulled her 9mm out and leveled it at Sam. “Dr. Grayson? Of Grayson labs fame?” The former terrorist asked urgently.

“Hey, hey…put that gun away!” Nicole shouted.

Yvonne looked over at the tall red head perplexed. “Do you know who she is? Do you know what she’s done? Everything that’s happened is her fault! How can you be with…this…this…murderer”? She screamed.

Mia inched over to Sam trying to stay between her daughter and the gun.

Nicole seeing the look in Yvonne’s eye made a split second decision. Without a word of warning she pounced upon the thin dark haired woman. The gun went off just as she landed. She felt something tug at her shirt followed quickly by a burning pain in her side but ignored it.

The two hit the ground hard, the gun firing again this time up into the sky. Nicole recovered in an instant and ripped the gun, along with a bit o9f skin from Yvonne hands. The tall red head leveled it at the new comer. “Now why don’t we all just calm down for a minute here before someone gets really hurt!” she demanded.

Yvonne pulled herself up into a sitting position.

“You don’t know what she’s done!” She cried. “My mother is dead. My husband and father are in quarantine! My two little girls…they took them away from me…. Because of the fucking bug she created! She’s a monster! You deserve to die!”

Yvonne wrapped her arms around her legs and cried. Warren put a hand on her shoulder.

“Is that true?” He asked Sam. “Did you create the bug? Did you cause all this?”

“Now wait a sec…” Mia tried to interject but was cut off by Sam quietly saying yes.

Yvonne’s eyes burned into Sam’s. Her hate so obvious Sam had to look away in shame.

“Hillary..the Summers sisters..Gail..me..we killed your friend Dr. Wayne for her part in all of this!” She shouted at Sam. “God I wish it had been you there too! The two of you playing god! Tell me doctor is your being able to walk worth all this? Was that wheelchair so bad that it was worth all those lives you’ve destroyed? All the ones you’re still destroying?”

Sam looked down but said nothing.

She got to her feet. Nicole continued to aim the gun at her.

To Warren she said “I can’t go with you. If this is who you’re associated with I can’t be part of your group.”

Yvonne spat on the ground at Sam’s feet. “You better pray we never meet again Dr. Grayson. If we do you’ll pay dearly for what you’ve done.”

Sam nodded solemnly with tears running down her face.

Yvonne turned and strode away, shaking her right hand trying to work the pain out. From behind she heard Warren shout. “Yvonne wait up.”

She stopped as he caught up to her. “Where are you going to go?”

“I don’t know but I can’t stay here. Go with your friends Warren. I’ve been on my own a long time now. I’ll survive being on my own a while longer.”

He grabbed her in a hug. “Good luck. Hope can find some peace somewhere.”

Tears ran freely down her face. “Good luck to you too. Hope the feds don’t catch up with you. You’re not quite the monster they try to portray you as.”

They turned their backs on each other. Yvonne heading off to whatever destiny awaited her, Warren back into the fold with what was left of the Sisters.

He wasn’t sure how he felt about them having the person responsible for the virus as part of the group but he knew Ellie deserved his loyalty so he would stay until he figured his feelings out.

As he approached he saw Mia examining Nicole’s side. The enhanced woman’s tee shirt was stained red with blood and her face wore a pain fueled grimace.

He heard Mia telling her “That was a very stupid thing to do, you know. You’re lucky the bullet only grazed you.”

“I couldn’t let her shoot Sam or the baby.”

“I know. But it was still a stupid thing to do.”

Nicole stuck her tongue out at Dr. Blue. “Do I need stitches?”

“No. I can hold the wound closed with a butterfly bandage. It should be fine as long as you take it easy for a day or two until it starts to heal on its own.”

Sam stood back from the others consoling Sara best she could.

She suddenly understood the crushing depression Laura had suffered in the days before her death in a way she couldn’t comprehend at the time. Being locked up in the lab and seeing all the lives effected listed as numbers on a printed report depersonalized the impact of what they’d done.

Hearing Yvonne’s story, seeing the sadness in her eyes and the hatred etched on her face brought home the full weight of her responsibility. For a moment, she’d contemplated letting the dark haired woman have her vengeance. Only her sense of responsibility to the baby and Nicole’s intervention kept her from stepping forward and allowing it.

“We need to get out of here folks.” She heard Warren say. “The cops are sure to be on their way.”

“El and Wendy should be on the way here by now. We can stop and get them on the way.” Nicole told him as they began to pile into the van.

The slow response time of the authorities only served to drive home how much things had changed in the few months since the virus’ release into the world. How much longer could society hold together in the wake of the ever spreading disease? And if it fell, what would take its place? How could the human race survive if it was overwhelmingly populated by females? Sam felt crushed by these questions as they drove off.

*******

Reynolds 2pm PDT:

Dr. Roberta Gongs rubbed her burning sticky tired eyes and tried to refocus on the task at hand. How long had it been since she slept? She thought three days but she wasn’t one hundred percent sure, it might have been four.

Not that it made a difference, not to the people in charge here anyway. At Reynolds you did what you were told or you became a volunteer. Simple as that.

As a doctor, with the medical staff so woefully understaffed, you worked until you couldn’t anymore. The people in charge didn’t care if you killed someone because of exhaustion. They considered everyone in the facility theirs to do with as they pleased.

Dr. Stanley’s experiments kept the infirmary filled to capacity and beyond. The few physicians available were expected to patch them up regardless of the injuries suffered or how long they’d been on duty.

How many had died because of the conditions, both in the horrendously over crowded infirmary and cell blocks, since her arrival in this hell hole she had no idea. She’d lost count after the first week.

She blinked again and computer screen in front of her finally came into focus.

Since reporting for duty after her last night off she’d been assigned to the euphemistically called maternity ward. Her specialty before the virus had been pediatrics making her, in the eyes of the director, a perfect fit in this particular ward. Not that specializing in the care of children made you any kind of expert in prenatal care but around here those subtle discrepancies meant little.

The conditions in what was often referred to by the staff as the baby farm were worse than anywhere else in this damnable place. Stanley had used artificial insemination to impregnated thirty five new women to this point and stuffed them into a room the size of a shoe box. The beds were literally side by side with no room to walk in between. There was no privacy because there was simply no room for it.

Half the “patients” under her care were sedated. Only those whose fetuses had shown signs of reaction to the drugs were fully conscious. Most of those were in restraints.

Two patients in particular Robi had spent the majority of her time treating since her interment.

The first was one of the first impregnated new women who went by the name of Thomas Logan. Thomas, she’d been informed before meeting her was one of the most dangerous and unpredictable patients in the ward. Robi, who was quickly becoming everyone’s favorite doctor, found Thomas to be talkative and friendly. They had stuck up a fast friendship.

Thomas told her of the things she’d been though in this place. Thomas’ rage at what had been done to her was boundless but her conviction that the child she now carried was blameless kept her anger in check. The bright side was, Thomas’ constant threatening of Dr. Stanley’s life kept the rotund head of the quarantine out of the maternity area. As small a silver lining as it was it was better than none and these days you took what you got.

The other simply called herself Paka, when she spoke which wasn’t often. She reminded Robi of a mouse, with wide oval eyes that were constantly on the lookout for danger. It made Roberta’s heart ache to imagine what had happened to her in this awful place to put her in such a state.

Paka was one of Dr. Stanley’s favorite lab rats. She was constantly in the infirmary suffering from one malady or another. Robi did what she could to protect her, even going as far as keeping her bed ridden for a few extra days when she could get away with it. Sadly there wasn’t much she could really do since Dr. Stanley never seemed to care if Paka was fully healed or not when she was ready to use the poor mouse for her next project.

Roberta yawned mightily as she hit the save button on the patient update she was working on. She stretched and wondered if there was a possibility of getting out of here long enough to get some coffee just as she heard her name being paged over the intercom by the witch Dr. Benetar referred so lovingly to as the cow.

Robi reached over lifted the ear piece and punched in the extension to the director’s office.

“It’s about time you responded” the shrill voice of Paula Stanley announced without preamble.

“I was busy and didn’t hear the page. What do you want doctor.?” Robi replied with obvious contempt. She was too tired to care.

“I think you’d better be careful of your tone Dr. Goings.” Stanley replied haughtily.

“I have to tell you, Paula” Robi said with an internal smile, knowing how much the director hated being called by her first name by those she considered to be below her. “I don’t really care what you think right now. I’m exhausted. I’ve been here for days, so if you don’t get to the point I’m going to hang up and go find my cot.”

“We have limited staff and many patients doctor. We all need to make sacrifices to make sure their given the very best care we can offer.” Paula replied condescendingly.

Roberta wondered when the last time the cow had missed a night sleep was but somehow managed to refrain from saying it out loud. Instead she just sighed. “Was there something you wanted or did you just call to let me know you’re still a pompous ass?”

‘Not exactly gonna score brownie points with that one Roberta, but who cares.’ she thought.

Sounding incredibly indignant she retorted “I can have you sent back to the..”

“Cell blocks.” Goings finished for her angrily. “Yes….yes…I’ve heard that before. Do me the favor. At least there I could get some sleep. Now as much fun as this is I’d really like to know what you need sometime today director.”

Stanley pulled the phone away from her ear for a moment and glared at it, making a mental note to find a way to make Dr. Goings life even more miserable in the near future. She cleared her throat then replied “I was looking for the update on patient number two two six two, Ellen Blackburn.”

“I just this minute finished it and uploaded it to your desktop. If you’d waited two more minutes you’d have seen it. Is there anything else?”

Paula fumed. “No doctor, that will be all for now.”

“Good. I’m going to find my cot now and lay down for a while.” Roberta replied hanging up the phone.

Robi looked at the cradled phone for a moment and sighed deeply. She swooned as she stood. The exhausted doctor grabbed the back of the chair to steady herself a moment then shuffled of towards the doctor’s dorm.

*******

Paula Stanley sat fuming in her office. Just who did this Dr. Goings thing she was talking tom her like that. The obese head of the quarantine stared at the phone for a moment before picking it up. She punched the four digit code that connected her to security.

After a moment it was picked up. Speaking quickly she told them. “Have two of your people bring Dr. Goings to the isolation wing immediately!”

“Yes director.” The voice on the other end of the line answer as Paula hung up.

“Let’s see if she thinks she’s still in charge of anything now.” Dr. Stanley thought to herself as she walked out of her office and headed for the elevators.

Ten minutes later a pair of security guards dragged Roberta into the isolation wing and presented her to Paula.

Without preamble Dr. Stanley turned towards the widowed mess of a cell belonging tom the former Major Brady. “Dr. Goings, I’d like you to meet Major Craig Brady. The Major was the head of this facility until he met up with an unfortunate exposure to the virus. As ill-tempered as the Major was before his transformation has left him with some serious anger issues.”

Roberta looked at Stanley uncomprehendingly but with a cold knot of fear starting to build in her belly.

Dr.Stanley smiled menacingly at Roberta as she reached over hand pressed the intercom button. “Major, I have some one that would like to make your acquaintance. We need her so make sure she can still think and use her hands when yours done but other than that she’s yours til morning.” Dr.Stanley told Brady, quickly shutting the intercom off before she could reply.

To the guards she said “Put her in there.”

“N…no…” Robi pleaded as the pair of viral suited guards dragged her to the air lock.

Roberta fought like a maniac as the outer door of the airlock cycled trying desperately to pull away from the guards, but to no avail, they were much too strong.

As soon as it began to open guards dragged her in the air lock. Sweating profusely Dr. Goings slipped an arm fee for a moment and tried to rip the suit of the guard to her right. The other slammed her to the ground with a blow to the back of the head before she go so much as grip on it. For good measure she was kicked in the side of the head.

Driven to the floor and seeing stars, Robi felt herself lifted up when the inner door opened. The guards pushed her though with a mighty shove. The stunned doctor tripped over the boot of the rounded steel door frame and landed hard, face fist on the floor.

The Major advanced and the two smartly stepped back and sealed the inner door before Brady could attack them, leaving Dr. Goings to fend for herself.

Paula Stanley looked though the observation window with a smug, satisfied smile plastered on her face as the Major grabbed the stunned doctor by the hair and dragged her across the floor. The screaming from the other side of the glass was l like music to her ears.

As much as she’d like to stay and watch awhile she had other business to attend to. Turning to the guard she told him “Keep an eye on what goes on in there. We need her alive. If he goes too far, pull her out. If he remembers the rules leave her til morning.”

She turned and began to walk back to her office, the shrill shrieks of Roberta Goings ringing pleasantly in her ears.

******

Grayson Labs early evening:

Col. Jorden walked into the isolation lab and solemnly gazed at its lone occupant, Lt. Col Gary Tyler. Jorden’s right hand man had been exposed to the virus at some point during the raid on the warehouse headquarters of the so called Sisters of Acidalia. To say the bug hadn’t been kind at all to his longtime friend and former second in command would be one of the all-time great understatements.

Where once stood a 40ish, handsome, very fit army officer there was now withered, prematurely elderly woman with deep wrinkles on her face and long greasy looking black and gray streaked hair. He…or she wheezed constantly, suffered from chronic pain and infirmity. The poor thing couldn’t even stand up straight any more. She was truly a sad sight to behold.

Jorden picked up the head setoff the counter and spoke into the mic “How are you feeling today Tyler?” He did his best to sound cheerful.

Tyler’s ghostly pale blue eyes swept slowly over to the observation window. The new woman gave him a gap toothed half smile and spoke with a voice that croaked with age. “I’m as well as can be expected at the moment Sir.”

It was all Jorden could do to keep from breaking down into tears at the sight and sound of his old friend. “You seem to be well kept in there. Is there anything you need? Anything I can get you?”

“Honestly Sir?”

“Yes.. of course.”

“You can put me out of my misery if you really want to do something for me.”

“I….I…” Jorden stammered unsure how to respond.

“Please Charles.” The ancient looking new woman begged. “I can’t go on like this. This…this shadow…of who I was. I’d rather be dead then to live like this.” As if to underscore her point Tyler was suddenly doubled over with a harsh rasping cough.

Jorden waited patiently for Tyler to compose himself.

“Gary..I…I don’t know what to say. I know this is awful for you but what if they come up with a cure tomorrow or the next day or the day after that or even next week or month? Who’s to say the Ryan won’t be able to put things right for you….for everyone that’s got the damn bug?”

Lt. Col. Tyler struggled to his feet and shuffled his was slowly across the room from his cot to the desk. He looked so indescribably weak and pathetic. The short journey left him panting and gasping for air. She needed a minute to catch her breath before being able to speak. “We both know there is no cure. Believing in some miracle is just a waste of time and energy. Charles, we’ve both done enough research to know changes like the virus induces just aren’t possible. They defy every rule of biology. Whatever it was that allowed this virus to be created was nothing short of freak of nature. Something Grayson and Wayne did combined with some unknown factor in the rat’s physiology and god only knows what else, possibly something that was in the air that night created the impossible. There can never be a cure because we don’t know how to rewrite the genetic code in cells. As result a cure would act exactly like a cancer inside the body and kill everyone it tried to save. That’s a fact man! You have to know that in your heart. Maybe if we had a hundred years to study it and advance our knowledge of genetics we might be able to fix things but at the rate things are deteriorating I don’t think there will be much of a society left by then.”

Jorden carefully considered his old friends words. “Gary, what would Rene and your boys think if you just gave up? How could I ever explain to her that the bravest man we both know gave into fear and despair?”

Tyler looked back at him. The elderly new woman placed her and on the glass. Jorden placed his opposite of it. “She would understand if you told her what I’ve become. She’d know it was the right thing. Look at me Charles. Would you want to live like this? I’m on constant pain now. I have hardly any control of my bodily functions. It’s a struggle just to walk across the room, to get off the damned bed! This is no way for a soldier to live.”

Jorden took his and off the glass and looked away, unable for the first time in years to not look someone in the eye. He sighed deeply, contemplating his friend’s words. In his heart of hearts he knew everything Tyler said was true. Everything they were doing was a futile effort. There would never be a cure in their lifetimes. At best they could hope for a vaccine that might slow the spread eventually but even that seemed highly unlikely.

He silently cursed Sam Grayson and Laura Wayne for creating the damn bug and by extension putting him in this position. If he hadn’t set Grayson free days ago he’d have had her dragged down here and tossed in there with Tyler.

It was too late now though. He’d set her free. Though he’d never have admit it to anyone, it was for the same reasons…the same knowledge that the situation was truly hopeless no matter how much he wished otherwise that would now allow him to set his dearest friend free in a different way.

Charles Jorden raised his head and faced his former second in command as tears rolled freely down his cheeks. The Col nodded at the woman that had once been Tyler and whispered goodbye. He then walked over to the small control panel hanging off the wall at far side of the room.

Taking one last look at his closest friend, Jorden pulled open the thin glass paneled door of the wall mounted panel. He swallowed hard and with numb fingers turned on the Halon gas fire suppression system inside the containment lab.

Jorden turned back to face the lab. Standing ram rod straight, he saluted his junior officer as the gas disbursed all the oxygen from the room. It was a god awful thing to watch but the Col. refused to look away until Tyler’s chest finally stopped rising.

*******

KLTR News 11pm PDT:

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen” Anchorman Mike Underhill began. “This is our top story at this hour. World Health Organization (WHO) Chairwoman Sadie Heisenberg in an open letter today to UN General Secretary Mosbard pleaded for an immediate cessation of all hostilities against the United States, including calling off the blockade of US ports. In her statement the Chairwoman revealed that the WHO’s estimates the number of those infected worldwide to be somewhere between 80 to 100 million people.

“With these staggering numbers” the letter is quoted as saying “it is fool hardy to spend money and energy on isolating a single country that could be better used in combatting what has become the worst pandemic in human history. As such being the case I’d request a withdrawal of all non-North American UN personnel from the continent and redeployment to their host countries to help combat the spread of the virus among their native populations. Our highest priority at this stage should be finding a way to stop the spread of the dreaded disease before the threat of the extinction of out species goes from a possibility to a probability.”

The UN was quick to issue a rebuttal by stating that while they are aware of small pocket outbreaks of the Acidalia virus outside the United State there is no conclusive proof that the numbers of infected are anywhere near the WHO’s calculations and that containing the virus to its country of origin was the best way to safe guard the future of humanity.”

“The White House also issued a statement today thanking the Chairwoman for her honesty in assessing the world wide threat that Acidalia presents and pledged whatever funds and medical expertise that are needed to find a cure for the virus if the blockade were to be removed.”

“In other news concerning the executive branch, President Fuller today offered his heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims before he condemned the bombing of the Dillon Quarantine facility in California late last night, which resulted in the deaths of well over two thousand virus victims, doctors, protesters and army personnel. He called not only for an investigation of the lack of timely response by the military stationed a mere fifteen miles from the facility but also the capture and arrest of Reverend Morris Manning the suspected ring leader of the horrific tragedy.”

“It is ridiculous to think a man like this can be allowed to roam free in our great country. The threat he presents to the stability of our society is unlike any we’ve ever faced before.” The President stated. “Not even the likes of Al-Qaida or Osama Bin laden represent a bigger threat than this man. To that end I am here by issuing a one million dollar reward for any information leading to the capture of Reverend Manning and his top aides. Make no mistake; there is no one person we need to stop more than this man. He should be every law enforcement agency in the countries most wanted.”

“The Reverend and his group of followers are responsible for several testing center bombings in the greater San Francisco area and while no one from his group has come forward claiming responsibility thus far the few surviving eye witnesses questioned by authorities have confirmed his leadership in the attack on the facility.”

“On Capitol Hill, the committee headed by Senator Edward George announced today that the hearings into President Fuller’s handling of the ongoing Acidalia crises, which were supposed to wrap up this coming week, will be extended so that they may look into the events surrounding the Dillon disaster.

“We would be remiss if we closed the hearings without investigating this latest failure by the Fuller administration. We owe it not only to the families of the victims but to every American citizen to look into the causes of this horrific disaster and make sure those responsible within our government are brought up on any and all appropriate criminal charges.” The Senator announced at a press conference this afternoon.

“The blockade of all US ports entered its second week today despite the Navy’s best efforts to force UN coalition ships out of United States territorial waters. With the USS Ronald Regan still stranded on a sand bar in Puget Sound and the Nimitz carrier group blocked into the Bearing sea, coupled with disabling of four battle ships the pacific fleet simply does not have enough ships to repel these international invaders, sources close to the situation were quoted as saying.”

“The engagement along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts is no better according to the same source. Several US submarines, most notably the Los Angeles class sub USS Alabama, are long overdue reporting in along with the carriers Dwight D. Eisenhower and Theodore Roosevelt. While no one knows for sure the fate of these vessels they are all feared lost at this time.”

“All ports remain closed at this hour; including the key oil port of Valdez Alaska which has led to severe shortages of petroleum products nationwide. We will update you as more information becomes available.”

“Along the Texas- Mexican border several small skirmishes broke out earlier today as Mexican troops backed by UN peacekeepers again attempted to force US military personnel back across the Rio Grande.”

“The US currently holds what Secretary of Defense Blake is calling a three mile “buffer zone” on the Mexican side of the river. While no US casualties were reported, rumors continue to swirl about a possible buildup of tanks and troops ten miles south of the military’s position. Whether this is prelude to another attempt to push out forces back or simply a defensive position to prevent further incursion by our forces remains to be seen.”

“The situation along the northern border remains largely unchanged with a Canadian led coalition of international forces holding their border shut tight, while the Prime Minister makes preparations to take possession of the St. Laurence Seaway and several other key positions along the border on September 15th in accordance with the treaty agreed to by Fuller administration several days ago.”

“Many members of the senate on both sides of the isle have called for the resignation of President Fuller for agreeing to the treaty which gives up roughly five hundred miles of territory along the border.”

“The White House has called this initiative the “height of hypocrisy.”

“We were told to do what we had to, to avoid a war by these same senators that are now criticizing the manner in which we did it. Perhaps if one of them had a better idea they should have come forward while negotiations were ongoing rather than waiting until after the treaty was agreed on.” Press Secretary Kerry Enrich said in a statement today.

“Locally, Dr. Jennifer Fisk, one of the few survivors of the riots in Providence Rhode Island over Acidalia victims at Hasbro Children’s Hospital and renowned critic of President Fuller’s policies on handling the virus and its victims, was in San Francisco today visiting several area pediatric isolation wards.”

“In an interview with our own Joanna Landan, the doctor lashed out again at the Fuller administration. Here is what she had to say.

“It is atrocious that these poor children who’ve done nothing but fall victim to a disease they never asked for to be held in what is tantamount to prison within these walls. They’ve committed no crimes, they’ve never had a day in court, and yet they held here, away from their parents and anyone they love, to be cared for by a staff that does its best to provide the care and nurture these innocents need but is obviously overwhelmed”. Dr. Fisk said. “It’s high time we started remembering these poor people are your family, your neighbors, your friends, co-workers and not some nameless monstrosities that need to be shuttered away in a quarantine center. Most are lost, afraid and confused by what’s happened to them and need our support not fear.”

********

Saturday August 31st 9:45am EDT Washington DC

White House Chief of Staff Davis Carlyle sat as his desk enjoying a rich cup of Columbian coffee while looking over the morning edition of the Washington Post, with tremendous satisfaction. The news today was good, very good in fact, especially if you were trying to oust a sitting president and seize control over the federal government.

As he read the cell phone in his grey suit coat pocket began to chirp. Pulling it out he recognized the number and smiled as he said “Harkin, good to hear from you. I trust your calling to tell me your people have got the good doctor in custody and we’re back on schedule?”

“I just landed in San Francisco. The report I just got from my guys in Virginia says we’ve run into a bit of a problem on the Dr. Ryson front. Seems we were right about her ditching your car. She left it in a hotel parking lot in Quantico. Chambers talked to the owner and he tells me he’s sure she never checked in. the owner claims to have never even seen her on the premises”

Davis sighed. “Are we sure he’s telling the truth?”

“Yes sir. One hundred percent. I had my people put his story though a thorough questioning under severe duress before he expired. If he’s lying then he’s a lot tougher than he looked.”

”I contacted my guy with the Virginia State Police; he told me no cars have been reported stolen in the area in the last twenty four hours.”

“So how do we find her if we don’t know where she’s gone Harkin!” Carlyle shouted into the phone. “I don’t think I need to remind you what she capture means to our plans! We need her back in our custody today! Not tomorrow, not after lunch, right fucking now! Today Harkins! ”

Harkins rolled his eyes and held the phone away from his ear until his boss finished his tirade.

“Yes sir. I’m on it. I have our people checking all the car rental agencies in the area in the off chance she found money and some dip shit failed to recognize her. Also we have people posted at all the train and bus stations in a twenty mile radius. We’re also in the process of getting a list of all the small airports in the area and we’ll be checking those too. What we could use is a couple helicopters to do a few flyovers of the woods around there in case she’s on foot somewhere off the beaten path.”

“I’ll arrange them.” Davis replied.

“I’ve had my contact at the DMV delete all records of you owning the car. The thing is a mess. Chambers is having it towed to a friendly junk yard in the area and disappeared. I suggest you destroy the title and registration.”

“The registration was in the car above the visor on the passenger’s side.” Davis replied suddenly going pale.

“Not from what I’ve been told. I’ll have em look again and l send one of them back to the farm house to check there. See if it fell out somewhere when she crashed into the Pontiac.”

“You do that and if it isn’t there then you need to get back there and find that bitch! If she has it we need to get it back before she shows it to anyone else god damn it!” Carlyle shouted.

“What about the Reverend?”

“This takes precedence. She can’t be allowed to tell anyone how she drove away from the scene of her kidnapping in my car! Do you understand me?”

“Loud and clear.”

“Good! Now get it done or I’ll find someone that can!” Carlyle bellowed as he snapped the phone shut.

********

Confirmed cases 30,246,344

Actual Cases worldwide 87,679,455

End Part XIV

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

YAY, an update !!!

New material can't be anything but welcome, especially for such an excellent work as this one.

The only comment I feel necessary to make at this point ... I am simultaneously disturbed, and reassured, by Vera's fate. That Ellie felt it necessary to dissemble her intent with Nicole would be the disturbing part ... their relationship is one of the cornerstones of this entire piece, imho, and that something like this could threaten it is an understatement of epic proportion. That said ... Vera did everything possible to make this inevitable, and I also think that Ellie handled it as well as it could be.

I also must hold the ineffable Mr Carlyle, along with most of the Fuller administration, Colonel Jorden and his entire commmand, both junior and senior to himself, and pretty much everyone set up in adversarial mentality to the Acidalia sufferers needs to be forcibly reaquainted with the concept of Karma.

Tough chapter

Things are falling apart and the very ones who should be aiding are instead hurting everyone ever more. This thing is like a bomb getting ready to go off. I'm just waiting for Karma to come around.

It took me time to get caught up and refresh my memory so I knew all the players again!
:)
Hugs
Grover

Dark Story

terrynaut's picture

This is such a dark story but I'm happy to see it resume.

I'm lucky to have a very good memory. I didn't have to go back and read any previous chapters to remember what's going on. It also helps that the story is written so well. You repeated just enough information to make it easy to know what's going on.

The only thing I'm surprised about is Ellie and how she handled Vera. That was harsh. I can't say I liked that part. I guess I also didn't like how Doctor Goings was treated. I hope to see some payback for her treatment. That Doctor Stanley needs to be stopped. Grrrrrr!

There's a lot of sad, depressing and scary events in this chapter but yet I can't help myself. I have to know what happens next. That's the mark of a good writer.

Please keep up the good work.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

P.S. Yay! My kudo was number thirteen!

Intense and terrifyingly believable

As I've been catching up on the past installments, I've been struck by the complexity of the background action and the clarity of its presentation. While there are a few things which would be highly unlikely in the world we know, what's to say that rhis particular world bears more than a passing similarity to ours. Still, the behaviour of certain elements is distressingly believable.

I may be wrong but I think I can see the beginnings of a resolution building as various characters start organizing resistance to the tyranny and the world stage begins to even out.