Havens Salvation 5-2 Lay on McDuff

Printer-friendly version
Havens Salvation


5.2


Lay on McDuff

Misha Nova

My benefactress Maggie is said to teach one of the highest levels of discipline and integrity practiced in magical arts. I took that to heart, that is why I sought her out. Unlike many I am an old soul and I do remember the cost of being sloppy in the integrity department. So this time through I was determined not to stain my soul by breaking the rules. My strictness governing my performance is what gives me strength and power of purpose, I am determined to follow the stringent code of conduct that I was taught.

Celtic_Animal_Ornament.png
sweet-fantasy-h-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-gifs_largejpggif_thumb.jpg

When James met Ann on the planes of Scotland.

Any resemblances to any person living or dead is purely coincidental.
Copyright© 2014 Michele WhiteWolf

Previously in Havens Salvation

Louise

“Like James told you, it's a team effort around here. You need to realize, kid, we are here to back you up, that may be the hardest lesson for you to learn. Here you have family and a team to trust with your back. The Morrigan may be a mean mother but she respects discipline and wise use of your resources. If we expect you to protect us from the things that go bump in the night by the Goddess Gaia we have your back. Your not used to that, are you ?”

Betty

“No, in my many community efforts, when I was trying to save people’s homes, or what ever. There would be someone who would always take the 40 talents of silver selling everyone else out. I always had to run my own security and find out who would do this before they could do any damage. ”

Louise looked me in the eyes “ Honey, we are not that way here, you are a rare treasure, myself, Bob, Marge, The township council all see it. You’re passing this test is all in our interests. I bet James is out doing his thing right now securing his part of the bargain.

You’re shook up right now; any sane person would be. But we are a community of healers, seers, readers, and learned of the larger world. You fit right in as the catalyst to pull all of us crazy people back together as a team. You're our quarterback, the rest of us are your linesmen. “


In To the Breach

Betty

My benefactress Maggie is said to teach one of the highest levels of discipline and integrity practiced in magical arts. I took that to heart, that is why I sought her out. Unlike many I am an old soul and I do remember the cost of being sloppy in the integrity department. So this time through I was determined not to stain my soul by breaking the rules. My strictness governing my performance is what gives me strength and power of purpose, I am determined to follow the stringent code of conduct that I was taught.

Humility is the foundation of any sane practice of magics and sympathetic energies. You are acknowledging the source of all things by requesting their permission to be allowed access to the energy of the archetype intermediary. You are not demanding anything , rather you are placing your self into a sympathetic harmony with the All source, plus your archetype. When your heart is focused in honest gratefulness and the purpose of your prayers are in the necessary service of others you will properly resonate so you can be heard. But if your goals are deceptive or involving malicious vengeance or harm to another the resulting dis harmonies will rebound upon thee by a force of three.

I draw my circle and pentagram, with care , then enter my circle from the east before sealing the circle. I carefully light the candles for the four elements of earth ,air ,water, fire, then the fifth of spirit. Taking the center I start my prayers to Rhiannon the goddess of the moon, who is my original patron Goddess. I have been in her loving presence many times, but each one has been unique. Like this time they were in the service of others in need.

Rhiannon

Rhiannon

Goddess of the moon
Hear my plea

My family and village
Have need of thee

Rhiannon
Goddess of the moon
Hear my plea

Help me heal our shield
This I request of thee

Rhiannon
Goddess of the moon
Hear my plea

Help heal our hearts
This I request from thee

Rhiannon

Mother Goddess of the Moon,

Wrap me in your cocoon of knowledge.
Matters of the home I seek,

Knowing that when times are bleak,
You will wrap me in your arms and keep me safe.

If I am worthy, in your eyes,
Shine down on me from the skies.

Provide my home with your healing embrace,
Magic and peace provide to my space.

I ask this of you with all humility,
Provide my life with your tranquility.

So mote it be!


MOON FLU
So mote it be!

Betty

The weekend was a blur with me sleeping during the day and working at night. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were all successful ventures. But that success came at a physical cost I was so knackered and sick from the efforts of Monday and Tuesday I was stuck in bed sick. Then I needed Wednesday to recuperate and get myself functional so I could work on Thursday.

Because the symptoms were like woman’s periods, Marge, Cleo and Louise jokingly called it 'the moon flu. Cleo took mercy on my soul and brought up some really soothing chicken rice soup. On Monday and Tuesday the kids ate dinner and lunch at the diner, it is so good to have back up.

“ Betty: You know that the worst will be tomorrow so give yourself Wednesday to recover or Auntie Cleo won't write your note excusing your absence from work. I know Marge is right; it's just the regular flu but from all the cramping, crankiness, plus the butterfly's in your tummy if I didn't know better I would say your monthly is due. “

I could only groan and go back to sleep. Just now I was not about to set her correct. While sleeping I was seeing flashes like instant replays of what happened those three days. When working you are outwardly protected by your wardings but your soul self must be very receptive and sensitive to minute subtle changes in energy. So much of it is an automatic response because you do not have time to think about doing, you must just do.

Just jump in


Betty

Friday night was the hardest because I had no way to study or become familiar with the barrier. This left me having to allow for the barrier to start its recharge cycle so the barrier could teach me where the energy was going. There was no graceful way to do this so I had to just jump in to prevent our barrier from unraveling like a sweater.

I was lucky on Friday night that the assault wasn't better organized or stronger because of my having to explore while I worked. This forced me to deeply dig into my manna reserves, so I could source enough for the task. Welcome to earn while you learn time in Haven.

Life has taught me getting dirty, or banged up, comes with getting the job properly done. On the plus side Friday's work allowed me to find the barrier’s sweet spot. Ann had cleverly concealed a working circle inside of a black berry bramble.

Knowing that on Saturday night I would use the circle, allowing me to use far less personal energy than Friday night. Saturday my opponents were more concerted, and better focused. An added complication was it was awkward doing my work, without revealing my hand, this made Saturday very exhausting..

On Sunday, with the now waning moon, I was able to clear some of the finer energy channels which act like the barrier’s nerves; this allowed the barrier a better sense of its self. Sunday I also focused on repairing the shields natural repair ability, finding and repairing this problem. This also allowed me to hide my work in the background, by doing this I had successfully blind sided my opposition , to my efforts.


Better than I thought

Sundays efforts yielded layer upon layer of soft shimmering energy that flowed down from where I stood filling the circle with its fullness. I released all that came through myself into the circle where I felt it flowing like water into the parched channels that supplied the stressed areas of the barrier. The energy felt like I was being caressed by a lover. I never felt as close to my world or my craft. In my mind’s eye I saw reservoirs with fulness running over to other parched areas. I felt a deep sigh of contentment of a long thirst being quenched.

Then it occurred to me that this was not a repair of an energy barrier. I was healing something aware and alive that I sensed it's consciousness slowly returning to the world around it. The barrier’s higher intelligence had been in a coma and still was in deep shock so it would take sometime to sort it's self out. My desire to communicate would need to wait until later

My obscurement spell's intent was sensed by the instinct of the barrier, so it shifted to heal what was critical now. It was able to replace the energy used bring the storage back into full power. The feeling of satisfaction and fullness were the cues I needed to know, so that the barrier could now redirect the remaining energy to the other areas of need within its own energetic body.

That total fix was a far bigger job than any one moon cycle of work could heal; still a lot had been accomplished and learned. There were blockages where the channels had collapse and required healing at another time but the living reservoirs which connected the residency of our community to one another and to the spirit of the community came back fully pulsing with life. I was able to see the trailing energy of Sunday polish the illusion that the aggressors had succeeded in weakening the barrier, but not in unraveling it.

Longer than you think

When working with the higher energies you lose sense of physical time. I felt things starting to quietly go to sleep and that included my legs. As I gently lowered my self settling onto the earth, I felt the barriers deep and satisfying gratitude for the efforts. The barrier clearly was not aware who was helping. Just that something had changed for the better.

I had done all that I could do tonight, now I must rest. I had started working at nine PM , it's now four AM. I have been on my feet the entire time. My opposition had the luxury of giving there people break using rotation, I did not. I had to tough it out but in the end that worked to my advantage. No one would think one person would be able to work this long continuously.

It helped that I was highly motivated by the fact this effort was for my children and the closest thing to a family I had. The opposition was just vandalizing something for fun and profit. When all was said and done I gathered my self, my tools, and got to my feet. When I retrieved my four lb clear quarts crystal was burning hot to the touch indicating just how much energy I had used in stepping up my energy's frequency. ,

A book I studied in the past titled the “Veil of Isis”, related how the Egyptian adepts train for years before they could attempt working with the energies in the Pyramid of initiation. Their nervous systems had to become robust enough, to carry, or direct so much power, before they were allowed to attempt the initiation sarcophagus. It was recorded that many Adepts did not survive. Now I understand, first hand , why all of that work was necessary.

Lacking this formal temple training The recipe for tonight's success, is as follows.

Two heaping decades of Maggie training, and teachings.
Three cups of practice, practice, and more practice, [to toughen me up,]
Add a whopping big Quartz transformer Crystal,
A jigger of the Morrigan's motivational speech
Then a wee spot bit of luck.

This was mixed well then poured into a brave pan, that baked in an oven heated to desperation, for seven hours.

I think that covers it all. !!???

I released my circle and opened it so I may leave out the west. I was very satisfied, hell I was happy with my work tonight. I went on automatic pilot as I walked back to our rooms. By the time I was into my bedroom I was sleep walking. I do not remember getting into bed but I was filled, with a very deep sense of satisfaction.

Hangover heaven
Monday

Betty

The next morning the children, “later”, informed me, I woke them up at six thirty very chipper and happy. I then helped them get ready for their day. Cleo came over to take the kids to school Monday and she told me later that we had a very animated conversation.

When I “really” got up at ten o’clock I was sick as a dog. I had no memory of earlier that morning or any thing I had done or said. I was frantic as to what happened to the children until I found a note on my bathroom mirror I wrote to my self about what had transpired. This was going to make this a very interesting portion of my life. Later Marge ,when she brought breakfast and a thermos of coffee, got a very good chuckle from of my experiences.

“ Get ready for more of this Betty, you just got a taste what Ann had happen to her. She had a lot of experiences just like what you had. I have read a few of the notes she wrote to her self. It was like she had an auto pilot personality, who stepped in and performed very complex operations, like getting ready, for bed, writing notes and once paying bills. Ann was shocked that her 'Other' could balance her checkbook and write entries in her Grimoir as well. The Others calligraphy was really beautiful, so during the day Ann would find notes written, in this hand writing, filling her in on what her Other had done.”

“Good grief; one way how spooky is that, but it is quite comforting to have that automatic backup when you need it. I was really so very shot last night after that work out.”

“Betty you do good work. You are well practiced and methodical. Also your obscuring your work was a real stroke of the smarts.”

“I am hoping to get a jump on the repairs with out the opposition knowing. This will give me a head start on my repairs. The best situation would being able to float the shield up to full power on the full moon of Salween. I am working to surprising them before they can organize a response.”

“You know that you need some back up plans and tricks to hold things together if things don't go according to plan.”

“Ah Yes, Master 'The old plan for the worst; hope for the best, trick.”

“Yes Cricket now snatch these pebbles from my hand.”

Both of us fell out laughing.

I learned the meaning of it only hurts when I laugh, Marge found that extra funny.


Getting on with business

Betty

Thursday morning, when I got in; my office had been aired out, and dusted. Louise must have hired the seven dwarfs to get this place ready. All of Mike’s old files had been moved to a room adjacent to my office. I needed a separate space to winnow through the mountain of dusty papers trying to find a few pounds of very important ones.

Wearing a dust mask and gloves I vacuumed and sorted through about 600lbs of papers out of about a long ton total. I shredded about 400 lb of the 600 then and sat the remaining 200 lbs aside for further more careful examination.. It was fitting that the process was like milling tons of rock ore and just about as dusty, to get a few pounds of valuable stuff.

Among the the salvaged material there were two old very sturdy boxes with the old War Department logo on the top both marked confidential. Taped to the lid inside of the box's were envelopes containing a sets of keys. The paper was neatly typed Leger listing what each key was, to numbers engraved on the head of the key. One of the keys was newer and looked like the keys to my office.

In the process of looking for the important papers I unearthed yet another mystery to solve 'later'. I had incorporation papers to find and file so the history lesson will need to wait until Louise and I had more time.


Old Acquaintances


James

It has been a long time since I have come to this far northern end of the highlands. The tower of Oaths

is west and a bit south of me. This spot is said to be haunted, nary anyone mortal lives , or travels here, with the exceptions of those who stupidly seek audience with the ladies Morrigan .

The government leaves this place alone, really alone. Even the most scientific knowledgeable Scot, who is really a Scot, knows there are lists of places and things best left alone and nay spoken of, this place, tops that list.

Because of the Morrigan's interest in Betty I need to parley with them So here I am trying to gain an audience with the Morrigan . They have been my acquaintance for a VERY long time, so I knew what process had to be followed. Ye do not try to just arrive here, ye hike in from a respectful distance say twenty marks or so. I decided I needed to do thirty marks as I haven't made offerings to my protector Goddess for many decades, in respect of her absence. With her interest in Betty I felt it necessary to renew my acquaintance and contacts. I just hope they are in a good mood, the sheep I offered to her set me back more than a few quid and I am hungry from the effort of getting it here.

When I arrived I started by placing my offering on the altar stone, and sent my prayers to beseech an audience with them, finally I then lit the fire. Now I need to await until summoned to the place of audiences. The Morrigan is a sticker on formality and until given leave to speak honestly, I need to watch my manners. She is nay something ye want to cross, or make angry at you.

What do you have in mind

I need to know what she is demanding of my Charge. I know the Morrigan well enough to know all three faces are tricky like ravens and crows. Shes also left the affairs of man to their own,for the last hundred or so years. For her to break this absence they must have a great personal interest in the situation. That made it my responsibility to inquire of them, what that interest was.

It is never easy trying to figure out what’s on their minds on a good day, and from the tone Betty indicated they spoke to her in I am imagining there is something big about to happen which brought them out of obscurity now.

In your face.

I had arrived at the standing stone circle before sunrise, now it's well half past two in the afternoon. The air was cold and a slight drizzle from the ever present fog channeled the cold through my clothing seeping into my bones. Because I am a warrior I am traditionally dressed in my uniform, comprised of my linen shirt my plaid sash,, Kilt, sporran. Wool Socks and Gillies, I kept my plaid on my shoulder and stood erect with my hand on the hilt of me great sword at watch. When approaching a sovereign Warrior Queen ye need to be sharp.

I heard a deep grunt then spied a head sized rock sailing over the top of the standing stones landing where I was just standing. The misty rain parted allowing the ancient champion who guards this site to lumber between the standing stones with his sword drawn and wearing nothing but his Campbell's tartan kilt, Norse Helmet, and his gillies. Me being in my McDonald's tartan, set the blood letting mood for the fight.

The first few moments were more than a bit vicious. I had to give him this, he was not as slow as I would have guessed. It took me a good bit of back pedaling, and maneuvering just to keep me head firmly upon my shoulders. But I did lose a wee bit of hair in the process.

Then I saw his patterns and how he combined them. Then our dance began for real, it was not a very dainty, or polite one. The next twenty minutes were of the hack and slash school of fighting. When you fight with dirk and Clamor versus two handed Broad sword, the object is to cleave or run through your opponent before they cleave or run you through. Nothing social or polite about it. Here in this situation I could easily be killed.

We ranged and worked over a large area; I was using every trick I knew nay to give him a killing blow. Several times he struck the stones with his broad sword dispersing a spray of sparks and stone chips. I notices that there were many places in our arena that the stones had been laddered with deep scarring from the ground up the side of many of the smother inner boulders.

I saw from the side of me eye a place where the hack marks left deep cracks forming a ladder effect up the side of the stones. When I was where I needed to be, I was ready. I allowed for a brief moment of vulnerability by feinting away from the rocks. With a roar he took the bait and brought his two handed sword down striking the opposite stone but nay striking me.

Our feet were covered in the traditional leather Gillie which is more like a glove than a boot. This was just flexible enough I was able to use the scarring in the inside stone to scramble up over him. Allowing me to leap up out of his field of vision. For just a moment he had nay idea where I was. Until I came crashing down on the back of his neck inside his guard lopping off his head.

There and then the fight stopped but his damnable body remained standing.

The head on the ground started to laugh then proclaiming.

“ Ye are are the first in three centuries to get past me. Ye are welcomed here lad, ye may now attend to your audience with my mother. She is awaiting. I’ll tidy up here.”

He retrieved his head from the ground playing with it in a gruesome manner pulling weeds out of its hair, mouth and wiping blood off his neck stump,. He then fitting his head back on to his shoulders, like he has done it before...

Audience

The pathway that led to the audience area was a spiral path through the stones worn smooth by the many feet which trod this path in the past and after a full circle ,or three, I came to the inner circle of standing stones in its center was a fire circle of stones surrounding a good sized fire. The mutton was well roasted and the lady was draped under her cloak of raven feathers watching me with veiled eyes measuring me, from across the fire.

“I was expecting you, James, it has been a very long time since we have had a chance to share time together. I don't envy you the task you are burdened with this time. Your charge is quite a challenge even for ye.”

“Do you consider Betty a bigger challenge than Ann, I nay think so me lady's.”

“Betty is greener than a willow twig James, how will you ever teach a willow twig to be strong enough for this task.”

“The lady Betty has both wisdom ,and more substance on her side than you credit her for.”

“ Ann was at least flint hard when you two met. That was strong enough to break Rome's jaw . What's Betty going to do talk her opponents to death, or maybe try to charm them with her wit. ?”

“Morrigan you are forever the beings of action. Understand the opening rounds of this struggle will be fought in the norm’s courts of law, She is well prepared for that, and from her fight with the ox Mongo she is also brave enough to put words into physical action.. “

“But how do ye fight a military battle with a willow twig James.”

“Ye are far wiser than that my lady's, ye already know Betty's true potential or ye would have never shown your self to her, ye would have rejected her nay explanation, so why the deception ?”

Morrigan gave a lusty laugh then fixed me in her stare

“James, it is good to see age has not dulled your wit or weakened your spine nay one wee bit. James Ye are our champion and I must say thine absence has made our heart fonder, for ye presence now.

Our selves and Ye elder Phaedrus, have been deeply concerned over ye morose concerning Ann's retirement. Is that perhaps ye wish, to be discharged from our service? or are there other reasons ye haven't shared with us for ye behavior ? “.

“My lady over the years that I have been ye champion I have had a very special relationship with ye. Honestly I felt that Ann's retirement was due to my being incompetent so nay being able to protect her properly. If it was my fault that I was nay able to protect her, then I needed to know how and why that was. If I could nay find that answer I am worthless to ye service. I had nay intention to offer offense.”

“James we could not inform you of our plans. Our strategy was to buy enough time to allow Betty to properly come to the responsibility, and ready to step into the role. We needed our opponents to think ,as ye did, Ann had died. Your actions , in their eyes cemented that belief.”

I pondered Morrigan's inscrutable face for just a wee moment.

“When Fay revealed to me Ann was just sleeping I was elated at first, then angry, at my nay knowing.”

“I keep my own council James, I am the Phantom Queen for a reason. My end is to win, my absence supports that end. Understand that I will nay be questioned why I am doing this.! Do ye understand me ? “

“Aye me lady ye are perfectly clear.”

“Good let us eat ye must be hungry and cold my champion. There is need for this parley at this time. That need is urgent! “

Over my long lifetime I have found relationships to be fluid.. If time allows observe how someone acts through all seasons of a relationship, before judging, friend or foe

Phaedrus the elder

Friend/enemies
Herstery

Sam

It was nice being out of the jail and back into the world. I hate being cooped up it just makes me stir crazy. This last stint at county was harder than most. If I had done something wrong it would have been tolerable, but I was protecting a women and her son from a drunken husband. But I guess breaking his arm ,and his jaw was a bit overboard. After twelve years of living with my dad beating me, and my mom then my little brother and my mother I over reacted. Just a bit.

I was in and out of foster homes after dad went up to the big house for something stupid. My mom had her hands full with my little brother being so sick with Cerebral Palsy I gained my emancipation at sixteen. I hit the boards to working so I could sending money home. Until I was 18 I had my run ins with the law, being in and out off trouble. . Then I got a break in earning my GED and with the Army accepting me joining the Rangers.

One tour in Afghanistan, one tour in Germany, one tour of duty in Iraq all as a US Grunt, then a second tour in Iraq as a private contractor. That taught me focus and gave me a purpose.

I, mostly, stayed out of trouble. I was about to reenlist when an IED turned my Hum V and my team inside out I was thrown clear making me being the only exception. That accident and an incident with civilians left me unwilling to sign my contract for a another tour. My secret to survival was knowing when to walk away.

Presently

As long as I was in the military ,and some one was in charge, it was ok that my instincts was to protecting innocent people . At home the courts and civilian authorities don't like people who do that. So ,as a civilian, that makes me a trouble maker. In their, opinion protecting innocent people was just wrong. The judge told me “ When sundown comes, be out of Dodge, or go on playing cooler queen in solitary.” I took her advice, after getting my bike out of police impound I headed to Kirkland where I had my Truck and trailer in a storage lot. After gathering them I headed north past Everett leaving Seattle and King County far behind. May up north in the mountains would be a better place for me being, an ex-military, biker chick, with a tude. I heard that Summerhouse may have action enough to keep me from being too bored.


Futurus Persevero
[To be Continued]

Please leave your comments as to how I can improve your enjoyment of this story. Misha Nova

Celtic_Animal_Ornament_0.png
up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice!

So she got a start on the wards, but there is far more going on here. I wondered where James was while she was busy and you answered my question. What is this about a doppelganger? Is this an effect of working the wards?

And we have another new character too that seems like an ally. I'm a little confused as to their gender given the ex-ranger thing, but they referred to themselves as a biker-chick. Someone in transition perhaps?

Lovely story!
Hugs
Grover

haven

keep em coming, reckon somethings gonna happen in the next one

Rough and Ready

terrynaut's picture

The writing is a little rough but I understand it well enough to enjoy the story. How many times do you read over your work to check for errors? Do you have an editor? I'm just wonderin'.

I really like the first part of this, and I love the auto-pilot idea.

Please keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry