Marcie And The Amazons: 9. Living The Dream

Printer-friendly version

Cassie came close, and knelt in front of me. "Listen to me, and listen to me good. Whatever you believe right now, whoever you think you are, for Mom–" she grimaced for a moment "–for Mrs. Auburn, you have to at least *pretend* to be her daughter, okay? If you don't, if you say that you forgot, or that your last name is Donner, she will flip right out. And believe me, she does not need that right now. So, until we can straighten out all the stuff that you don't remember, can you play along and be Juliette Auburn's daughter?"

Marcie And The Amazons by Kaleigh Way

 

9. Living The Dream

 

"She forgot again," Nina said.

"Oh, no!" Cassie cried. "That explains why you were acting like such a doofus! I mean, more than usual."

"Thanks a lot," I said. "But anyway, I'm not Marcie Auburn. How could I be?"

Cassie came close, and knelt in front of me. "Listen to me, and listen to me good. Whatever you believe right now, whoever you think you are, for Mom–" she grimaced for a moment "–for Mrs. Auburn, you have to at least *pretend* to be her daughter, okay? If you don't, if you say that you forgot, or that your last name is Donner, she will flip right out. And believe me, she does not need that right now. So, until we can straighten out all the stuff that you don't remember, can you play along and be Juliette Auburn's daughter?"

"Your mother's name is Juliette?" I asked.

"Your mother's name is Juliette. Got it? Will you at least play along? Call her Mom? Okay?

"You can talk about this to me and Nina and Dad — Mr. Auburn. But *not* to anybody else, or you could end up in the loony bin. Okay? Please trust me, this once."

"Okay," I said. "I'll trust you IF you quit swatting my buns."

"Fine," she said. "Until you remember, no swats."

She sat back on her heels and turned to look at Nina. "Maybe this time *you* should tell her the story, because she isn't going to believe me."

"Is it long?" I asked. "Because I'm going for a walk with your– with Dad in an hour."

"Oh, good," Cassie said. "He thinks you're all bummed out about Aunt Julia... but you don't even know who she is, do you?" I shook my head. "She's Mom's identical twin. So, as you can guess, they're *very* close."

I swallowed hard.

Cassie said, "Let's quick get changed, and meet back here. Then, Nina, you can give her the rundown so that she's got some idea before she talks with Dad."

Nina ran to her room. Cassie picked out a pair of jeans and a top for me. "These are your faves," she told me, and the moment I touched them I knew that I *did* like them.

"Thanks," I said. "Looks like I wear them a lot."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "You have a TON of really nice clothes," she told me, "but you wear the same old things over and over."

"I do?"

"Yes, you do."

With that, she left and I got changed.

As I did, I made a discovery: I'm a girl! A real girl. I suppose I should have noticed before, but what with all the... I mean, I was so disoriented... anyway, I didn't notice! But now I was noticing, believe me! Yes, I was girl in every way, in every part! All the way, through and through. I pulled down my underwear to look, and was stunned. I was real down there, too!

I would have spent more time checking myself out, but I heard Nina coming back, so I quickly finished changing. I was still zipping up when she appeared at my door.

"Hi," I said. "Do I really live in this mess?"

"Yes," she said. "You're the messy one. I think Mom's given up trying to get you to clean."

I looked around at the white walls and the windowless curtains. "And how come the room is so bare? Why isn't it more... girly?"

"You can never make up your mind what color you want or what drapes you want. Mom wants to choose, and Cassie would choose, but you say that *you* want to pick your own stuff, and you don't trust Cassie."

"Hmmph," I said. "And how come Cassie is always fighting with me?"

Her eyes opened as high as they could go. "Um, you fight with her, too. The two of you are always fighting."

"Why?"

She frowned and stared at me. "Because you're sisters." Then, remembering, she said, "Oh, but you forgot..."

"I forgot what? And where is Jerry?"

"Wait," she said. "Wait until Cassie comes."

"Alright," I said. "In the meantime, I'm going to start picking up this mess." I bent down and scooped up the biggest pile of dirty clothes. Then I looked around for a place to put it. There really wasn't any. Nina smiled, and I dropped the clothes back on the floor.

"Why don't we get some garbage bags?" she suggested. "Then you can bring 'em down to the basement and start washing them."

"Okay," I agreed.

"Cassie's going to take a while anyway."

We went down to the kitchen, and Nina grabbed a box of trash bags from under the sink.

"What are you girls up to?" Mrs. Auburn asked.

"I'm cleaning my room," I said. "Oh, and... uh... Mom... I give up on decorating my room. I'll never decide. So, if you want to pick... whatever color you want, I'll paint it."

She looked stunned. "Am I hearing right?"

"And for drapes and everything... whatever you want is good for me."

"Oh," she said, as if she couldn't believe it. She turned to Mr. Auburn and said, "Pinch me."

"You're not dreaming," he replied.

"Can I take your car to get some paint?" she asked him. He laughed and nodded. "Best to strike while the iron's hot," she said. "Before she changes her mind."

"I won't change my mind," I said.

Nina and I went back upstairs, and she helped me sort the clothes and stuff them into bags.

When Cassie came in, she said, "Can you do that and listen at the same time?"

"Almost done," I replied.

"Nina, stop doing that," Cassie said. "Sit with me on the bed and tell Marcie all about herself."

The two of them sat down. I quickly ferreted out the last of the dirty clothes and stuffed them in a bag. Then I sat on the floor, ready to listen.

"Okay," Nina began. "See... Where Dad works there's this machine. It's a time machine, and he went back—"

"Wait," I interrupted, shaking my head. "There is NO WAY—"

"No," Cassie said. "You wait. Just listen, and then when you go for a walk with Dad, you can talk about it. For now, just keep your trap shut."

I frowned, but closed my mouth.

"So anyway," the little girl went on, swinging her legs as she spoke, "He went back in time and switched you and Jerry when you were in the... um... in the two mothers' bellies—"

I was about to open my mouth again, but Cassie gave me a fierce look, so I shut it.

"And that's why you grew up as Marcie Auburn, and he grew up as Jerry Donner."

"So where is Jerry now?"

"In New Jersey, with his family, in Frickenitch."

"Flickerbridge," I corrected.

I didn't believe it at all. There was no way on earth that what she was telling me was true. I knew it was impossible, but I also knew that what was between my legs was impossible, so I listened.

For sure, what she was telling me was all a crock, but I was sure that eventually I'd find out the truth.

Cassie jumped in. "See, the last thing you remember is being on a plane, right? With a girl named Piggy?"

"Wiggy," I corrected.

"Whatever," she went on. "Anyway, that's when Dad hit the button, and everything rewound."

"The whole world?" I asked, incredulous. This story was beyond ridiculous. "If that were true, everybody would know what was going to happen next."

"No," Nina said. "The only people that remember are you, me, Cassie, and the two fathers: Dad and Mr. Donner."

"What about the mothers?" I asked.

"They didn't want to remember," Cassie explained. "Don't ask me why; I don't know."

"And how come nobody else remembers? And how come *I* forget, if this is true?"

"Nobody remembers because that's the way the machine works. Dad can explain, I guess. But I don't know why you forget. It used to happen, like, once a year when you were little, but since then it happens less and less often. The last time was just before school started, in September. But the time before that, you were nine or ten."

"What about Jerry? Does he remember?"

Cassie smirked when I mentioned his name. "No, he doesn't remember. He didn't want to."

"So why are you smiling like that?"

"You don't remember?"

I shook my head.

"Because when he came here, to stay with his Aunt Jane, the two of you were all over each other."

I turned red.

"Mom had a BIG talk with you... you don't remember?"

"It will come back to you," Nina threw in.

"Yeah," Cassie agreed. "Some time tonight or tomorrow you'll start to remember. When you were really little, you'd forget for days, but now, it's shorter. In September, it only lasted a couple of hours.

"Anyway, back to you and Jerry... Mom wanted to send you away with Aunt Julia, or to an all-girls school or something. She even thought about putting you on the pill."

"The pill?" I repeated, going white.

"She didn't want you to be a teen mother. Then you had to do that stupid fake-baby thing for Home Ec., and it seemed to help a little."

"Really?"

"There were times I thought we'd have to spray you two with a firehose to get you apart—"

Nina turned red and said, "If you two are going to talk like this, I'm going to leave."

"Sorry, Nina," I said, blushing myself.

"You were broken-hearted when he moved," Cassie said, pretending to pout with sadness. She wiped away an imaginary tear.

Ignoring the big-sisterly meanness of her remark, I asked, "So do I have a boyfriend now?"

"Not really," Cassie replied. "You keep that poor John Martin dangling..."

"I do?"

"Yes. You should either go out with him or dump him, but you let him run after you like a sick puppy..."

"Okay, okay!" Nina said, standing. "I'm leaving!"

"Wait, wait," I said, and Nina sat back down. "What about all the things I did, like climbing the building, and catching the baby, and running after the kidnappers..."

"Oh, yeah," Cassie said, remembering. "Um... you didn't do those things. You made sure they didn't happen. Like with Cory... I think you went and reminded him about his backpack or something. And the baby..."

"You got the conductor to make the mother sit in the closed car," Nina said. "So the baby didn't fall off the train."

"And the kidnappers..."

Nina looked uncomfortable. "You called 911 and said there were suspicious men outside the school, and you told them that the police were coming."

"So they got away?"

"Yes, but they didn't take that girl."

"Oh," I said.

"But now we're almost caught up," Cassie said. "Pretty soon, everything is going to be new."

"Yeah," Nina said. "I'm glad, 'cause it's been really weird, knowing what was going to happen."

Cassie shrugged. "It's had its upside, too." She stood up.

"So!" she said, "that's enough to get you going. Dad can tell you the rest. I have things to do. Come on, Nina, let's let Marcie dig through this stuff."

"Oh, wait!" I said. "Am I friends with Eden and Carla?"

Cassie laughed. "Oh, yeah! Eden's your best friend, and you and Carla are teammates."

"Teammates?"

Cassie pointed to the sticks in the corner of the room. "Field hockey? Lacrosse? You're fast, and Carla's strong. Neither of you are the best player on the team, but you're good. Your coach loves you."

"Coach?" I repeated, searching my memory. "Ms. Price?"

Cassie nodded, and the two girls left me to my work.
 


 

I looked through the closet. It was true: I did have a lot of nice clothes, but they looked as if I never wore them.

I pulled the sheets off the bed and carried them down with the other dirty stuff, and started a white load. Then I returned to the room, took another garbage bag and started throwing things away: old papers, wrappers from sports bars, empty Gatorade bottles... "What a pig I must be," I said aloud. Soon one bag was full, and I started on a second.

Next, I gathered all the books from the floor and from my desk, and organized them in the bookcase, tossing out piles of paper that I'd left on the shelves. While I was busy doing that, Mr. Auburn knocked gently on the door.

"Hello," he said. "Oh, look at that! There's a floor in this room! And a rug! I forgot all about that rug, I haven't seen it in ages!"

I laughed, and realized that it was the first time I'd laughed since I... well, since I woke up here. He smiled.

"Ready for our walk?" he asked. "Cassie told me what you girls were talking about. I'm sure you have a lot of questions."

"Yes," I replied. "Just let me get my shoes on."
 


 

"Based on past experience," he said, "I think I know what your first couple of questions are going to be: the first one is always Is there really a time machine?"

"Is there?" I asked.

"Yes and no," he said. "It's not a time machine, in the classic sense of the term. You can't get inside and go back in time. And it doesn't go forward at all. There are machines that do, but I don't think any of them are around right now."

I shook my head.

"Yes, I know," he said. "It's unbelievable. I can't go into a lot of detail, but it came from the future. We don't know how it works, but what it does is that it lets you look into the past and change small things."

"Like an embryo in a mother's womb?" I asked.

He coughed and said, "I know. Talk about unethical... Sometimes I can hardly believe I did this to my own family and to... well, to yours."

I looked at him.

"Oh, and there's something else," he went on. "I didn't know until I talked to... your... father, but... I had no idea that you weren't born a girl. I was able to change that when I moved you into your mother's womb."

"You mean Mrs. Auburn's womb."

"I hope you'll call her Mom to her face," he said.

"Oh!" I said suddenly. "How come the mother's didn't want to remember how everything used to be?"

"I don't know," he said. "I've thought about it a lot, but of course there's no way to ask them... I have a theory, though, that it was the only way they could go through with it. To ask a mother to give up her child... it's unthinkable."

"And yet, they thought it," I said.

"Yes, but you know... there is a reset button."

"Really?"

"Yes. If I hit it, everything will go back to the moment before it all changed. You'd be on that plane to... where was it? Hawaii?" I nodded. "With whats-her-name... Piggy?"

"Wiggy," I corrected.

"So, if things had gone horribly wrong, if everyone was terribly unhappy, I could always hit the button and send things back the way they were. Except—" he looked at his watch. "Huh. Maybe that explains why you forgot..."

"What?" I asked.

"You know, I honestly forgot, but we're getting close to the day when I pushed the button. I mean the first time around, while you were still Marcie Donner. Maybe this will be the last time you forget. Let's hope so, anyway."

"Why do I forget?" I asked.

"I don't know," he replied. "No one at work has any idea, either. But it *has* gotten less and less frequent, and your forgetting lasts less and less time. I think that sometime, tonight or early tomorrow, it will all come back to you. Not all at once, but enough for government work." He gave a wry smile.

"I'm sorry," he told me. "It was an experiment that I probably shouldn't have done, but it seems — aside from your occasional memory lapse — that everyone is happier this way."

I thought about my new anatomy, and nodded.

"Listen," he said. "I can still hit the reset button. It's the big UNDO. Like I said, you'd find yourself as Marcie Donner, back on that plane to Hawaii, and we'd have Jerry back. I'm guessing that maybe there's a month or so left when I can use the reset. After that, there's some kind of dissipation or degradation of the, uh, reset buffer, and once that happens, you can't go back. We'll all be stuck this way. So, if you feel like going back to way things used to be, let me know and we'll talk."

"And you'll push the button?"

"We'll talk about it," he replied.

"Okay," I said.

"And one more thing," he said, as he stopped and turned me to face him. I noticed that we were back in front of the Auburns' house — our house. It hadn't been a long walk, and now it was over. "I love being your father. It's wonderful having you as a daughter. I know that you and Cassie fight like crazy sometimes, but that's what siblings do. I think we have a great family."

"I think so, too," I said. I don't know what I based that on, but I believed it completely.

Then he opened his arms and gave me a fatherly hug that made me feel like I was in the right place in the world.

It was all crazy, and, honestly, the business with the time-machine was pure hokum. I didn't buy it.

There had to be a logical, reasonable explanation, and eventually I'd find it. Maybe I just imagined that I was Marcie Donner. Maybe it was all a dream, and my family — the Auburns — were humoring me now, trying to ease me through... whatever it was that was happening to me.

As we walked into the house, I thought, Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe this is a dream. Maybe Marcie Donner was a dream. Still, what's happening right now seems so real! No: it didn't *seem* real. It WAS real.

In that moment, I made my big decision: No matter what's going on here, no matter what the explanation is, I like this! I like being Marcie Auburn! Whatever's behind this, whatever the truth is, I'll let it go for now. I'm going to live this life, and I'm going to live it as well and as deeply as I can.

What else could I do, after all?

© 2008 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not a dream, not a hoax, not an imaginary tale!

erin's picture

Yes, Superman really did finally marry Lois Lane!

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

My Flabber Was Never So Gasted

Crivens! (to use an old Scots exclamation) What a wondrous twist; I love it. Look to your laurels H G Wells, Kaleigh has invented the ultimate time machine that can correct those birth defects we all detested.

Where can I buy one?

Hugs
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Where's the looking glass?

A little confusing, but what else can we expect from Marcie's life? ;) Just gonna go along for this strange ride and enjoy all of the the sudden, and not so sudden, twists an turns!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

I'm not sure I like that twist

IF this is really what happened then they all agree awfully easy to this.

WHY did they do it in the first place?

Jerry was the only son of the family and there was no hint that he was not liked or would want to be an only son of the Donners. Marcie loved her mom even though she was a bit strange at times and it does not seem like the Donners every really got asked. I can not see either family give up their child and it frightens me what it would say about them if they really did.
Apart from Marcie being a real girl there is absolutely nothing that would justify such a switch.

Something is VERY FISHY here.

I think the plane got of course a bit - ok a lot - and went over the Bermuda triangle. Marcie got up ducted by space aliens and is currently being experimented on.
Now that sounds A LOT MORE LIKELY don't you think?

Anyway I will for now sit back and read on what happens and hope I will start to like this story in the end. Right now it is my least favorite Marcie story and has been for the last 3 chapters.

Maybe once I get the whole picture I will think that it all is brilliant but right now it makes me very uneasy. It is probably because it would undo Marcie as we learned to love her.

We are the sum of our experiences.

By exchanging Marcie and Jerry the life experiences of the Auburn and Donner Families would be drastically changed and neither would be the same after wards. Personally I think this price is way to high even if it was only for Marcie. For the others its even worse.

Well I will wait where you go with the story Kaleigh and hope you know what you are doing. You certainly did so far. So why should it be different now.

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

I'll tell Chubby Checker to put the other twists on hold

Thanks. Don't worry. I've already told you what the next two Marcie stories will be, and you can always check the title of this one to see where it's going.

Marcie is indestructible. Her life is like one of those old Bulova watch commercials.

Passport to Krispy Kream

Wow. Is this what you do to fix a small hole in a story,
like forgetting to pack a passport!

I hope I never get you mad at me!

You sure can write 'em girl. No one ever saw that one
comming! I din't even remember that Mr. Auburn was a
Temporal Physicist. It must have worked on me too! I
mean, all I remember was that he worked for Krispy
Kream, and they were working on a better way to keep
tneir doughnuts fresh!

Sarah

Small Hole?

While it may be true that a passport was overlooked, I doubt it. Kaleigh is proving herself to be a master writer and it is more likely that she is just playing with us, her readers. For the record, I am not angry with anyone, much less, Kaleigh. But please remember while she may have a time machine, I possess a transporter (sic) and getting personal can leave you in some very difficult places. (laugh) (evil laugh)

I am not trying to be unkind, it's just I am a born critic and an obsessive editor. You could somewhat say I am like Monk on television, but not as plesant. This is true because you know you're crazy when your government pays you for being so and in my case they do. My whole existence has come down to reading these stories all my waking hours. This reading has become addictive and has also made me more demanding of quality. Kaleigh has the skill -- but I still hate waiting for serial postings, Kaleigh (lol) -- I trust her to produce the best story I've ever read. I said I was demanding. (another evil laugh)

In any case, I would not be surprised to read The Marcie Donner Story going off on a lot of tangents. Marcie's escape has already been given to us, a reset button which, with no doubt in my mind, will be pressed. The ground work for Marcie was established in Rules are Rules and true to her character, she will prevail. Relax, it's only Chapter 9 and the previous stories were 40 plus chapters. We still have a lot to learn about the Amazons, too. Have trust, Kaleigh's Marcie Donner is going to join fandom, or whatever you might want to call it. Other writers are going to want to write about this character because wild and crazy things happen around her. I can't wait.

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I'm sorry if I seemed angry with you!

A few other people had commented on the passport thing... what you said about it was just common sense, that only seasoned travelers can pick up and go just like that.

I had hoped though, that the mess in the first couple chapters was bad enough that no one would be surprised when Mrs. Donner shoved her little girl out the door with a pack of strangers.

I did like your comment, since it was -- as I said -- remarkably insightful, and how could I not feel flattered?

It did turn out to be a nice thing for me, since in the past I've gotten terribly worked up over some comments -- for example some of the incredibly forceful legal comments I got for What Maisie Knew. In this case, I was able to make what I think will turn out to be something good out of the passport comments.

Thanks for the comments and all the compliments, Coyote.

Hugs,

Kaleigh

Sad for a heroine

"No matter what's going on here, no matter what the explanation is, I like this! I like being Marcie Auburn! Whatever's behind this, whatever the truth is, I'll let it go for now. I'm going to live this life, and I'm going to live it as well and as deeply as I can."

That Marcie is so quickly ready to disregard her family to savor being a natural-born girl speakes poorly of her. Seems pretty shallow, I'm a girl now; forget my parents who raised me and loved me.

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Well

After I untangle my panties I better keep my breath -again- till this one step forward, one step left, story has been posted in full. It's a nice story up till now, some little twists, a little buildup to a luscious lavish holiday with the girl-team and unquestionably a bigger kink and quibble lurking just ahead.. And now suddenly this totally weird sci-fi hocus pocus big leap into unbelievable sh.. dingus.

I say: Marcie! Hit that button. I don't know about you girls, boys here to, but I like being me. I wouldn't want to live this 'dream come true' hurray I'm a GG, so bollocks anyone. Hip hip hip!

It would feel like living -just another?- sham.

Nice story though.. :) Just a shame you trickle charge.

Thanks, Jo-anne

Too ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... weird !!! I think somehow Marcie has been brainwashed. Push the button, Marcie.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Great as usual Kaleigh

KevSkegRed's picture

It's fiction u guys, not real life, and good fiction too. We can sort of guess that Marcie will get Mr Auburn to press the reset button in the end, cos it is called "Marcie and the Amazons" after all. I wonder if it can be reset and Marcie still have her genetic abnormalities fixed. But maybe that would turn it away from a TG story.

I doubt there are many people out there who, at some point in their lives, haven't wondered what it would be like to be part of another family, I know I have and I love my family deeply.

I would love to have one of those machines, imagine the good work you could do with it.

Anyway, Kaleigh, I love the Marcie Donner stories, she's moved on so far from the shy, scared little boy that was late for the start of a new school.

Keep going girl, we all know that it will turn out to be another classic story.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Hah Kaleigh.. I

Hah Kaleigh.. I remembered.
(Yes even I have a memory, somewhere?)

Yes yes yes.. Bollywood
It reminds me so much of those movies.
And don't get me wrong here. I kind of love them :)

It takes some time to get in the right 'mode'.
But once you do its magic :)

magic/time machines what balongna

I read all of your stories and was really enjoying them til this point. No offense but magic and time machines just doesn't fit. I expected another adventure on the ship or on the island they were headed to. Maybe something with wiggy or one of the other characters,similar to what
had occurred in the previous stories ("rules are rules" and "what maise knew") So at this point I need to cut it off, I don't believe in magic, time machines or other such baloney. If you had stayed on the story line I would finish reading this. Sorry but this was a disappointment.

well it seems appropriate

for the storyline ? I guess?

karen thought she might be shallow in dis requard of parents.
HMMM?
I'm not so sure on truth, whether it was ME or my Relatives of which one was 1st to dis-own the other when learning of my transition. that was 28 yrs ago (as of 2013) tho I actually never physically started till 2002 and SRS in 2004. And w/exception of a mutual family friend. I havent communicated with any family since 1985. Recently I've been made aware with the exception on one aunt married into family, I'm now the ELDER of what's left and still no desire to repair damage. I guess I'm shallow cause I followed my needs B4 others too (sigh)

well I'm guessing the author will get us back in place @ some point. I've never liked super-natural or time-travel in storylines, cause it makes it seem like it's all pre-destined. I like to believe I'm making choices myself rather someone else making them for me. But, that is just me and I have some rather wild,far-out there ideas about us human and how we got on this little ole planet we call earth. I'll leave it @ that and accept OTHERS CONCEPTS of a possible different approach that our author KAYLEIGH has taken us on.

sounds terribly unethical

but at least in this reality she's a cis girl

DogSig.png