That of a Child

Printer-friendly version
BigCloset TopShelf Featured Author
Katherine Phillips

Authors Note:

This work is set in the early stages of the Coronavirus outbreak. It's a work of fiction and if it offends you I apologize in advance. When I saw the reports of young people in Florida still going to the beach something in me wanted to tell a story about someone clueless as to how pandemics work. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this and have a wonderful day.

That of a Child

A lightning bolt branched out over the darkened purple sky, arcing halfway across the city. As the light faded, the clouds disappeared into the darkness. A breeze tickled my nose, bringing an earthy smell of the rain to come.

I rubbed my arms through the heavy jacket I was wearing — it wasn't doing a good job of keeping me warm. Dad reached down and I grasped his gloved hand. He led us through the night-covered streets. Our only light source was the arching street lights above.

I wished we were inside where it was warm.

We reached an intersection. I let go of Dad’s hand and tried to switch sides. He pulled his hand away and shook his head at me. I returned to the street side and held his hand again.

The walk light came on and I took a step off the sidewalk. When Dad didn't move, I looked up. His eyebrows sank, and he shoved his face into the elbow of his jacket and coughed.

When he finished, we started walking again.

My stomach hurt. I hadn't eaten in almost a day. My hand started shaking, and I tried willing it to stop. It wouldn't, so I shoved it into my pocket.

I finally began to recognize where we were. Our bridge — the one we were staying under — was just down the street from here.

The streets hadn't been very busy the last couple days. I was just beginning to get used to the sound of cars crossing the bridge.

We carefully descended down the slope, and I saw my mom covered in blankets. I let go of my dad and ran over to her. She smiled when she saw me and opened up the blankets to let me in.

I gleefully joined her.

"Hey, sweetie," she said and gave me a hug while pulling the blankets around us. She was so warm.

"Hi, Mom!" I said and returned the smile.

She turned her attention to my father. "How'd it go?"

He shook his head. "We tried a few stores but once they saw me coughing, they made us leave."

"Did you try the shelter?"

"We tried, but they were full."

Mom started shaking as tears began streaming down her face. "I don't know how much longer we can do this, Johnathan. We need food."

"We just have to last a few weeks. The Presiden—"

Mom snarled, "Fuck the President!"

I reached down through the covers to feel my mom's belly. It was so round like a soccer ball. I could feel my little brother in there, kicking.

Mom looked down at me as if she had just realized that I was there.

She said, "Sweetheart, here," and handed me her phone with a pair of earbuds. I slipped them into my ears, flipped through the phone, found the music app, and pressed play.

An ad came on, "Remember to wash your han..." I hated these, I just wanted to listen to my music.

Mom and Dad talked for a long time until Dad walked over to his spot, pulled out a blanket, and covered up.

I felt Mom's fingers slowly comb through my hair.

Sleeping in my clothes was a new experience for me. Normally, we would have pajamas that I would get into before bed. I missed the routine of it all.

The concrete walls shook as a car drove over the bridge. I awoke to the light pitter-patter of rain as it echoed down the lonely canal. A small stream of water now flowed ever closer to our feet. Our possessions were scattered amongst the debris.

Mom and Dad were both asleep. I slowly wormed my way out of the covers, crept over to my dad, and snuggled up next to him. He was so much warmer than Mom.

I'd begged to go with him to the store so we could get some food. I couldn't believe how mean they were to us. I just wanted my stomach to stop hurting.

Dad coughed, and I felt his breath on my hair.

I suddenly remembered something my mom had said. "Don't let anyone cough on you."

I rolled away from my dad and tried to wipe my hair clean. When I was satisfied it was better I got up and wormed my way back into the covers with my mom. She pulled me close and I lay my head on her chest.

I fell asleep to the beat of her heart.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Serious

Daphne Xu's picture

A seriously depressing situation.

-- Daphne Xu

Yeah

Katherine Phillips's picture

I was in a pretty dark place when I wrote it so I was able to sort of put that into the story. Thanks for reading it.

Better/worse (Warning: rant)

From what I understand, the reality is both better and worse.

Better: at least in our area (New York City area), there are organizations giving out food. The Episcopal church just up the way always has big crates out for food donations. Probably not enough, but it is something.

Worse: for the homeless, and to some extent the poor (including most of the people in "essential service" industries), "social distancing" is pretty much impossible -- there isn't anywhere you can go at home where there aren't any people, and they mostly work at jobs where they are more likely to be exposed to the virus and where the employers are less likely to institute or permit protective measures (Amazon is particularly bad.) Masks are finally available (not the N95 masks, though), but they are not cheap, and you have to find a place that has them. The people I know (who are not poor) generally tell all their friends when they see a shop that has masks or gloves. The poor and working class neighborhoods in New York City and the cities in the area are getting the brunt of the illness and generally have much less in the way of health care available. (They recently shut down a lot of hospitals, mostly in the poor areas of the state.) Many of the people in the poor areas who die are not being counted as COVID-19 victims because they don't die in hospitals -- mostly because the Emergency Rooms are overloaded so they give up and go home.

In many ways, the USA is a third-world country.

Really ???

The great news is summer is coming and all the snowflakes will melt away.

ShadowCat