The Haints Part 4

Printer-friendly version


The Haints


By Jamie Lee

Author’s Note: This story is a work of pure fiction, meant to be read for pure enjoyment. It is not based on facts of any kind, just those I made up in my mind. I realize some of what is in this story may seem far fetched, but it’s a story, dreamed up from the gray matter between my ears. So please read this story in the spirit it’s meant to be read, for fun. ~ Jamie Lee ~

We had wandered the ether for millions upon millions of years, searching for an appropriate home that would serve our created purpose. Our creator had a dream to use us to bring harmony to her planet, but was too late, as with the rest of the planet, we were thrown out into the ether and left to drift until we found our purpose. We wandered past planet after planet, some having no life, and some with life but not needing our purpose. It wasn’t until we approached a system from the perpendicular that we observe a planet, a blue planet, with indications of needing our purpose, if only we could find the one which would become our catalyst.


~*~*~Part 4~*~*~


*-*-*Chapters 19-26 and Epilogue*-*-*


*-*-*Chapter 19*-*-*

It was less than a mile drive to reach Terry’s offices, but because of One-Way streets, and others under construction, it was a much longer drive. They found a public parking area near the building they were sent to, and after a short walk entered the building and after speaking with someone in the lobby, were told they were expected and escorted up to the fifth floor of the building.

When the eight teens had announced themselves at the desk in the lobby of the building, one of the people at that desk called upstairs to let Terry’s firm know the teens had arrived. Sherry Olson, one of the partners, took the call and asked one of their interns, Paula Chen, to meet the teens at the elevator and escort them to one of the smaller conference rooms. After which she was to inform Terry. Everything went according to plan, until Paula knocked on Terry’s office door, opened it, and received a royal butt chewing for interrupting him in the middle of a meeting. Paula was so upset that she slammed the door, went to her cubicle, picked up all her belongings and told Sherry she quit. And promptly left.

Sherry knew something was up with Terry so went straight to his office, walked right in and told Terry she needed to see him “RIGHT THAT MINUTE.” They’d been friends since childhood, so Terry knew when Sherry had ‘that look’ she meant business. Terry excused himself with Creg Smith, the man Terry had the meeting with when Paula came into his office. Creg Smith was not happy, he was a VERY important man and demanded to be treated so. As Terry was leaving his office with Sherry, they both heard, “Well this is a bunch of bullshit. Here I came ALL this way to meet with you and you walk out in the middle of our meeting. Damn, I should charge you for my wasted time. And I suppose you’re not even going to offer me anything to drink? Right? That’s one hell of a way to run a business.” Terry had just reached the door before stopping and turning to face Creg before he said, “Creg, shove it up your ass,” and walked out the door, slamming it behind him.

Sherry motioned to the other two partners and pointed to her office, which she and Terry walked towards. When all four were in Sherry’s office, she shut the door and turned to Terry and asked in a very venomous voice, “Just what the HELL did you say to Paula that caused her to quit?” Terry gave Sherry a questioning look, to which Sherry told him, “Yeah, she quit. Packed up all her belongings and walked out. Quit, as in not coming back. Damn, Terry, she was one of the best interns we’d ever had, and we were going to help finance her education so she MIGHT come work for us when she was licensed. So, what did you say to her?”

Terry looked from face to face before it finally sunk in what he had done. “Aw, shit, what have I done?” He quickly picked up the phone and called down to the lobby desk and asked them to tell Paula he wanted to talk with her. Please. Then he sat down in one of the chairs in Sherry’s office, ran his hands through his hair before saying, “It’s that damned boney assed Creg Smith. Last time he was pissed because we did what he asked, and not what he wanted. Then we do what he wanted and now he’s pissed again because we did what he wanted and not what he felt we should have done. I simply lost it when Paula walked in, and I shouldn’t have. She had nothing to do with how Mr. High and Mighty acted. Guys...he has to go, dumped, thrown out. I don’t care if we would see over nine figures, he just isn’t worth all the crap he’s been throwing our way. You three do remember we were warned not to get involved with him, when we checked him out? And not just by one firm, if you three remember. I’m sorry, but he has to go.”

Sherry Olson, David Runningbear, and Marti Comings have been friends since childhood. They grew up together attending all the same schools, even graduate school. It wasn’t long before they became disillusioned working for other firms because they saw a lot of shotty designs and work. One night over a few drinks, Sherry made an off handed comment about it being a shame they didn’t have their own firm. Then they could do some decent work. All four may have been a few sheets into the wind, because the next day they each walked into their respective firms and quit. They pooled their monies, bought a building and Olson/Runningbear/Commings/Cooper Architects/Engineering was born; they never did come up with another, simpler, name.

David voiced what Sherry and Marti were thinking when he said, “Then let’s do it. Let’s throw the boney assed runt out of our offices and out of the building. We own the building, after all. You shouldn’t have to take crap like he dishes out, Terry. You should have come to us before you blew up today; we’d have thrown him out sooner. Call down and ask for two security people to come up, and let’s go and throw boney assed Mr. High and Mighty out. Besides, you have to go and beg Pauls to come back, right?” Terry looked a bit sheepish after David’s last comment.

The four walked out of Sherry’s office and right into Terry’s office, meeting a barrage of profanity at keeping an IMPORTANT person waiting. Terry walked around behind his desk, sat down, and looked straight at Creg Smith. “Creg, ol’ buddy,” Creg hated when anyone called him that, but Terry held up his hand as Creg opened up his mouth. “No, Creg, ol’ buddy, you just shut your mouth and listen to me for a change.” Sherry, David, and Marti were standing off to the side and could see Creg Smith turn as red as a beet. “Creg, ol’ buddy, we, the four of us I mean, have come to a decision and we’ve decided you need to take your boney ass and get the HELL out of our offices and out of our building. Oh, and take your shit ass business elsewhere. I’d say it was a pleasure, but it hasn’t been.” Terry then stood up, leaned over his desk toward Creg Smith and growled, “Well, why is your boney ass still in our offices, or our building. GET. THE. HELL. OUT. OF. OUR. OFFICES. AND. BUILDING.” Creg Smith went white faced at the look on Terry’s face, but he wasn’t a person to take things lying down. He got up out of his chair and was about to give Terry both barrels, when he felt a hand one each of his shoulders. He then heard a voice right next to his left ear ask, “Well, the man asked you a question, Creg, ol’ buddy. Why is your boney ass still in the building? You have a choice, Creg ol’ buddy. You can walk out under your own power or we’ll carry you out and throw your boney ass back into the gutter where it came from. What’s it to be?”

To say Creg Smith was mad would be stating an understatement. He was boiling. No one, and he meant no one, ever talked to him like that and got away with it. He leaned towards Terry, raised an arm and pointed a finger at Terry, and felt himself lifted off the floor by one hand under one armpit and another arm under the other armpit. The two security guards carried Creg Smith out of the offices and to the stairs, where the door was opened for them and the three went quickly down the stairs, Creg Smith screaming profanities the whole way. When the three reached the lobby, Creg was still screaming profanities and continued to do so as the front door to the building was opened for them and the two guards literally threw Creg Smith out of the building. He landed hard on his brains, which didn’t stop the filth he was spewing. As the two guards stood by the building door, a woman passing by, stopped and slapped Creg so hard he fell sideways and heard, “Go back to the sewers where you came from. We got kids around here who don’t need to hear the filth your spewing.” The woman took a bow as passerbys gave her a round of applause for her work. All the shouting had attracted the attention of a policeman walking his beat, and he just turned a blind eye at what the woman just did. He bent down to look Creg in the face and told him, “Sir, I’m afraid you can’t sleep here. You’ll have to find some place else. Now move along.” The cop knew exactly who Creg Smith was, and like many others, hated the man’s guts.

When the two security guards walked back into the building, Terry was sitting next to Paula and talking quietly with her. They caught bits and pieces of his conversation, and when Paula looked up and saw the two, they both nodded their heads and with their heads, indicated, “go back up, stay.” They really liked this kid, she had spunk.

“Please, Paula, I am really sorry I bit your head off, it was wrong of me to take my frustrations and anger with Creg Smith out on you. Please...won’t you reconsider, come back up with me and stay? You’re really good at what you do and will make one heck of an architect one day. And we’re hoping it will be with us.” Terry didn’t tell her about the firm wanting to help finance her education, since it might seem like he was trying to bribe her into staying. “I do have eight teens waiting for me in the small conference room, and it might be something you will find interesting. Interesting because all the material Mary sent us was created by those eight teens. Including the layout for the clinic they’re going to build when they’re ready. Interested?” Paula gave Terry a dubious look, not because she doubted the sincerity of his apology, but that eight teenagers could put together something that had Terry really excited.

“Eight teenagers put together something that got you excited? How’s that possible? How old are they? Fifteen, Sixteen? At that age they shouldn’t be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Are you blowing smoke just to get me to stay?”

Terry laughed because of what Paula said, but assured her, “This is no joke, Paula. They’ve put together a folder of material they’ll use to build a medical clinic when they get their education and licenses. Trust me. Come up and see the material for yourself, you’ll be amazed.” She gave Terry another dubious look before agreeing to come and look. But told him if this was a sham, she was going to kick him in the nuts before leaving for good.

The ride back up in the elevator was a quiet one, and Terry unknowingly held his hand in a very protective manner. The two went to the small conference room and found the eight teens sitting around the table talking quietly with each other. They all stood when Terry and Paula entered the room and Terry began the introductions by introducing Paula and himself. The teens then introduced themselves and Terry then asked, “How about we do lunch first and business after? What do you all like or want?” As the teens drove to the building Tony had spotted a deli less than a block away from the building. He wasn’t shy when he said, “How about sub sandwiches? I saw a deli just up the street, and would like an Italian sub with the works.” Terry smiled at Tony’s suggestion, and excused himself only to return with ten menus from Franco’s Deli. As everyone said what they wanted, Terry noted it on his copy of the menu. He asked about drinks, and received ‘tea’ from everyone. He phoned the deli and placed the orders, knowing they’d arrive in about fifteen minutes.

Paula had taken the seat next to Terry and was going through the material from the teens that Mary had faxed over. At one point everyone heard, “Whoa, this is good stuff. And you guys did all this?” Paula asked, as she looked up and around at the teens. The thing the four partners like about Paula was her directness, her not beating around the bush. In their business telling a client something they didn’t want to hear was often necessary when the client asked for something that was physically impossible to do. And if something impressed her, the four found out to take a closer look at whatever had impressed her. After looking over the material himself, Terry already knew how good it was. And was glad Paula agreed, because he had ideas to have Paula work on with the material. There was about five minutes until their lunch arrived and Terry watched happy teens become contrite teens when he asked one question.

“Well, we got another five minutes until our lunch should arrive, why don’t you tell me about yourselves and how you came to decide on opening your clinic?” Just as they’d done before with Mary, the seven teens all looked at Tameria, and Terry and Paula noticed this. “Um...is there something wrong? Have I asked a rather sticky question, maybe a question you’re rather not, or can’t answer?”

As Terry and Paula watched, it seemed the eight teens were holding their own unspoken conference. There were head nods, head shakes, and when it was over they again looked to Tameria.

”We are The Haints. Tameria Jinks. You worry how to answer the question put before you, yes? Have no fear. Tameria Jinks. We trust Terry Cooper. We trust Paula Dillings. Tameria Jinks. We will to know them. Tameria Jinks.”

“Um...Mr. Cooper. It isn’t that we don’t want to answer the question or can’t, it’s just a very complicated explanation. And it might be best to wait until we’ve eaten before giving you our answer. It may take some time.”

Terry, like Mary, had over the years become quite good at reading people, and he read something unfamiliar to him in the kids faces. Usually his clients were either happy, excited, sad, angry, or any number of other emotions. And it showed on their faces. Whatever these kids were feeling right now had him worried they might have gotten themselves into some kind of jam, and didn’t know how to solve it. So he said, “Guys, it’s Terry. Mr. Cooper makes me sound too ancient. And okay, Tameria, we’ll wait until we’ve eaten before you explain. Speaking of which, I see our lunch has arrived.” During lunch Terry and Paula kept up the small talk, asking what the teens liked, if they were into sports, music, or any clubs at school. But once lunch was over, two people in the room almost had to run to the restrooms in order to see what they’d just eaten. They were that shocked.

Everyone had finished their subs, thrown their trash in a nearby trash can, sat back down before Terry asked, “So, can you now explain how you came up with the idea of opening up your own clinic?” Terry watched Tameria’s face, as he could see her formulating an answer to his question. He actually expected a simple, “yes,” but wasn’t prepared for what Tameria said next.

“Terry, can the door to this room be locked? Or if it can’t be locked, will we be interrupted at any time?” Terry told her, no, the door can’t be locked but when a conference is in progress, unless it’s a real emergency, no one would interrupt. Terry watched Tameria nod her head before she continued with, “Good, that’s good. Do you and Paula have an open mind, Terry? Can you, or do you believe in things you can’t see? These questions are important Terry, Paula, because our friends won’t meet you unless you are truthful in your answers.”

Paula’s directness saved Terry trying to be the diplomat when she asked, “What friends? You got someone else we’re supposed to meet? How long before they get here and where are they coming from?”

Tameria chuckled before she told Paula, “Paula, they are already here, and you might not believe where they came from. Would you two like to take a few minutes to think about my questions. How about the time it takes us to use your restrooms?” It took Terry a few moments to catch on that the teens needed to use the restrooms, and told them where to find them. While the teens were gone, he and Pauls discussed the questions Tameria asked, and whether these kids were on the level. About ten minutes later the eight teens re-entered the small conference room and sat back down. Tameria turned to Terry and asked him, “Have you decided, do you meet our friends or do we leave now and go to another firm for help?”

Both he and Paula saw how serious Tameria was with her question, and that she meant it that they would leave if need be. Paula was again direct when she told Tameria, “Hell yeah, I have an open mind. You have to have one working in this field. You won’t last long if you close off your mind. Believing in things I can’t see? Again, we do that all the time. We design and help build structures that hold together by way of connections no one can see.” She saw Tameria smile because of her answer before looking at Terry. Terry was more circumspect in his thinking than Paula. He thought about the love he had for Mary. As Paula said, his ability to see what the client wanted and to be able to make it happen. And he believed in something more than the life he lived on Earth, something he’d been thinking about most of his adult life. “Yeah, Tameria, I’d like to meet these friends of yours.”

Tameria asked the two to allow her to sit between them, then explained what was about to happen. She asked each one to take one of her hands, and when they did, only Paula reacted as many others had first reacted when The Haints first spoke.

”We are The Haints. We will to do you no harm. Terry Cooper. Paula Dillings. Be at peace.”

“MY GAWD, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT,” Paula shouted as she jerked her hand away from Tameria’s. As Tameria was about to tell her, Terry calmly said, “Those are their friends, Paula, and it would appear they’d like to talk with us.” Paula looked at Tameria, then each of the other seven teens. As each one nodded their head, she noticed something she hadn’t seen before. Each one had a peaceful look on their face. Just as though they’d been touched by an Angel or something. “Is Terry right? Those are the friends you were talking about? The something that can’t be seen but requires an open mind?”

Tameria just answered, “Yes.” Then added, “You won’t be sorry for the experience. Won’t you trust and continue, let them talk with you. Please?” Paula had grown up around a lot of BSers and liars, and now could spot both as easy as taking a breath. Because of that, she could also spot those who were sincere in their words, and could see that sincerity written on Tameria’s face. Paula just nodded her head before taking Tameria’s hand again. And Tameria was right, she didn’t regret it.

As with Mary, the teens could tell when The Haints were showing what happened to their planet. Paula, direct as ever, said, “Holy fucking shit,” while Terry only said, “Oh my gawd, all those people killed because of some stupid reason.” The teens knew when Terry and Paula opened their eyes The Haints had finished talking to the two. It was quiet in the room until Terry said, “Um...I think I need to use the restroom. I’ll be right back.” Paula said much the same. But when both returned it was obvious by the redness of their eyes that both had been crying, mourning the death of all the people on that planet because some couldn’t tolerate others believing differently than themselves. Paula’s attitude seemed to have changed a bit as she asked, “And the eight of you have been carrying this around with you all this time? Doesn’t it get to you? How can you tolerate it?”

It was Beckie who answered, “Paula, we have memories of what we were shown, and could watch the whole thing again if we asked. But it’s because of what happened that we want to try and help The Haints do on our planet what they couldn’t do, or had the time to do, on their planet. You see, Paula, and Terry, we each carry part of The Haints with us. If, as they’ve done with others who’ve met them, they asked you if they could be with you, right? You see if they are with us, as we go about our day we give them the opportunity to do away with the aggression that could one day destroy our own world. They’re learning that not all aggression is bad, that we need some aggression in our lives. But it’s that aggression that might cause someone to press ‘THE BUTTON’ they want to neutralize. And you can help by letting them be with you. It doesn’t hurt, and is kind of fun, especially when you can talk with anyone who they’re with without using anything but your mind.”

The teens recognized the look by now, the one that was asking how they asked The Haints to be with them. Giggling, it was Tara who said, “Just ask them and they will stay with both of you.” Tara giggled again as she saw the puzzled looks on Terry and Paula’s faces, the look that said, ‘how did you know what we were asking’. She did her best not to laugh out loud as she told the two, “We’ve seen that same look on everyone The Haints have asked to be with. You’ll get to recognize it too as time goes on.” This time she did laugh, as she saw the ‘what do you mean’ question on their faces because of her last statement. “As Beckie said,” she began, “having The Haints with you will allow them to neutralize any aggression that would cause someone harm. That means if you are, say, at a department store, and they see aggression displayed by someone who is going to hurt another person, they will step in and show that person just what aggression can really do. They will then adjust that person’s thinking so they only want to help others from that point on.”

After hearing Tara’s explanation, Terry thought back to his recent encounter with Creg Smith, and how The Haints might have dealt with him, or the others Terry could think about from his past.

Paula, on the other hand, thought back to all those times, at home when she was younger, when The Haints would have prevented her sperm donor from beating the hell out of her when he was drunk simply because, the one time, she spilled a bit of milk from the glass of milk she’d been drinking. That beating caused her to use concealer for two weeks before the bruising faded. Or the other beatings she received because of similar happenings when he was drunk. Or the night he came into her room and almost raped her. And he would have too, if she hadn’t had the forethought to keep that bat close by her bed. She saw him come into her room and knew what he was going to try to do to her, so she grabbed the bat and waited. As soon as he was close enough she swung the bat and caught him on the side of the head, he dropped like a rock. Somehow she was able to drag him out of her room, went back into her room, closed the door, and pushed her chest of drawers in front of the door. The next morning her sperm donor didn’t have a clue what happened the night before, which she thanked God for or things might have gotten much worse.

As the teens watched, they again recognized the look on the faces of the two as they asked The Haints to be with them. They also knew, from experience, there were going to be a lot of questions that only The Haints could answer. And they told Terry and Paula that very thing as the two started peppering the teens with questions.

Thankfully it was The Haints who reminded Terry and Paula why the teens had come to see them, and maybe they should get on with the matter at hand? The teens all laughed when they heard what The Haints told Terry and Pauls, and the looks on their faces when they realized exactly why they were in the conference room. “It’s okay, you two,” James said, smiling as he did so. “We all have lost track of what we were doing at the time after meeting them.” Terry called a break, and everyone got up to either use the restroom or to stretch their legs. When Terry came back into the conference room he was carrying a model and a set of papers. And he was again very excited.

When everyone had returned, and were seated, Terry started in with an enthusiasm he hadn’t had a short time ago. Thanks to one Creg Smith! “Okay...guys, I have an idea and with your permission I’ll explain it to you all. All of you want to know what it would cost, right now, to build your clinic and equip it. I can’t do that off the top of my head, or out of any books we have. What I can do is treat all of this exactly like we would if we were drawing up a project for a client who wanted to build something similar. We’d have our interns use your material to make a model of your clinic, complete with interior and exterior designs. In short, you’d be seeing a miniature of your completed clinic. We’d also draw up complete blueprints that could be used if you were having the clinic built today. Once we had all that done we could then calculate the cost for everything needed for your clinic. What do you all think? I can’t give you a time frame when it all would be done, we do have other clients to deal with, but it won’t be put on the back burner either. What do you all say? Guys, to be perfectly honest, when you are ready to build, and I realize it won’t be for some time, I want our firm to do all the work for you. You are a remarkable group of teens who deserve our best.”

This time it was the teens who saw the pleading looks in Terry and Paula’s faces, and got the answer they needed when they heard one word.

”Yes.”

Terry and Paula were shocked when they too heard that one word, but then realized they’d just been given the green light to do what Terry wanted. Terry then took down the teens personal information, addresses and phone numbers, so he could contact each one when the firm was ready to make its presentation. Handshakes and hugs were exchanged as their meeting broke up, leaving everyone in that room feeling good by what had transpired. They were on their way, now all they had to do is get through the next umtenth number of years of schooling, and hope two very special people were still around when they were needed. And speaking of schooling, they still had to get through high school, and the gauntlet it presented.


*-*-*Chapter 20*-*-*

Even though the eight teens had a very profitable Friday, and another planning session Saturday, it was inevitable that school would resume on Monday. And what was there to say about the rest of their sophomore year, not much. Each one became more involved in school and community activities. A month after they met with Terry he called Tameria and told her their presentation was ready, and when could the eight teens come. Tameria talked with the other seven and then checked the school calendar before calling Terry back and setting a date. In fact, their next meeting with Terry was likely the best part of their sophomore year.

It was a longer weekend for the teens this time, Thursday through Sunday, due to the teachers meetings taking place on Thursday and Friday. As they did before, they met at Tameria’s house, had breakfast and headed to Terry’s office a little after 9 a.m. on that Thursday. This time they knew how to find the public parking, near Terry’s and his partner’s building, once they reached the City, and had no trouble once they entered the building and were about to say why they were there. The same guard who’d escorted them the first time, beckoned them onward as he once again led them to Terry’s office on the fifth floor. And of course someone from the lobby had phoned Terry to let him know they were on their way up. This time, though, it was both Terry and Paula who met them at the elevator and were so excited they couldn’t stop talking as they led the teens to the same conference room as before. But they stopped talking and let the teens enter first, because they wanted to see their reactions as they set eyes on the model of their clinic for the first time. As the teens entered, there in the center of the small conference table sat a model of their dreams, just as they envisioned it. Terry and Paula couldn’t suppress big smiles as the teens began all talking at once, pointing out this or that or offering ideas for this or that. Terry almost had to shout to get the teens attention until they finally realized he was waiting on them to quiet down. They sheepishly apologized before sitting down, in much the same order as before, and Terry and Paula got to work at what they did best, sell.

“So, I guess you like what you’ve seen so far?” It was a dumb question but one he just had to ask to get more reactions from the teens. It sort of turned into a mistake as the teens again began talking all at once, and again Terry almost shouted for quiet so they could move on. “Now,” he said, as he turned on a huge screen on the wall behind him, “Do any of you know what a blueprint is or how to read one?” Yes, they’d all heard of blueprints, but no they didn’t know how to read one. Hearing this, Terry entered a territory he often wondered if he shouldn’t have pursued, teaching.

As the teens watched, Paula dismantled the model until only the floor of the model was left. “Okay, lesson time,” Terry said as he used the remote to put the front page of the blueprint for their clinic on the huge screen. “I know from experience what I’m going to explain may sound tedious at first, but I think as sharp as you eight are, you’ll get the hang of things quickly. Now, what you see on the screen behind me is the front page of the blueprint…,” and Terry explained everything on that page, the title of the blueprint, the date drawn, for whom, and so on. He watched each teen as he explained each segment to make sure they weren’t getting bored. As he clicked the remote, another page appeared on the screen, and he turned the page on the blueprint in front of him.

“Just as a building starts with a foundation and works up to the roof, so does a blueprint. What you see on the screen now are all the specifications for the foundation for your clinic, which you can see on the model of the foundation. That foundation represents the dimensions and overall look that everything else will be built around. Here,” and using a pointer Terry continued with, “is the Mental Health wing. Over here is the Administration wing. Here and here are the Medical and Physical Therapy wings. And here, here, and here are storage and the employee area. And if you look up at the screen, you’ll see every measurement is listed for the entire foundation. Even the rough-outs for water, sewer, and electrical. Oh, and over here is your computer room.”

As the teens watched, Paula added interior and exterior walls, and all the exterior windows to the model, as Terry flipped another page in front of him and on the screen. The teens had all stood up by now so they could get a good view of the interior of their someday clinic. “As you can see, when the walls and windows are added your clinic really starts to take shape. And if you look at the screen, you’ll again see all the measurements for the exterior walls on this page,” and as Terry turned pages again, “and interior walls on this page. If you’ll look at the image on the screen, when you see these symbols, they are for electrical outlets. And as you can see, there will be a lot of them. And if you look at this box down here, it specifies the gauge of wire that’s to be used.”

Terry went on explaining things on the blueprint as Paula put things back together on the model. After an hour, James asked, “Is it possible to take a potty break right now?” James’ question brought Terry and Paula up short, as both realized they’d been at it for a little more than an hour without a break; they were so engrossed with the project presentation they forgot about the needs of the teens.

“Oh...guys, I’m so sorry. Paula and I were so excited to present all this to you, I forgot we needed to take a break sometime. Yes, by all means, go, go, take what time you need.” Paula almost got trampled as the eight teens all but ran out of the room in a mad dash for the restrooms. Terry and Paula weren’t far behind as they suddenly realized their need as well.

By the time everyone was back in the small conference room, their eyes had settled once again in their eye sockets, and Terry and Paula continued with their presentation. As 11:30 a.m. rolled around, Terry, who had been watching the teens closely for signs of boredom, asked what they’d like for lunch. Tara just rolled her eyes when Tony said, “an Italian sub from Franco’s Deli.” She then said, “Leave it to you to want an Italian sub every time someone asks about lunch.” Tony shrugged his shoulders and said, “I like them, so sue me.” Tara playfully swatted his arm before he caught her hand and gently kissed it. The ‘Awwws’ in the room were so thick they could have been cut with a knife. The presentation stopped there as Terry phoned in their lunch order, and they waited for it to arrive. What he didn’t expect was all the intelligent questions the teens started asking, some very detailed. Paula had stood back and watched the teens as they started asking questions. She watched as each almost asked a progressive question once the first question was answered.

She also saw a love between the eight that she’d never seen before, maybe because their relationship with The Haints allowed them to be completely open with each other. She never had this type of relationship in her life, and there were times she wished she did. She received a shock as the eight teens turned as one to face her before she heard Tameria’s voice tell her, “Palua, you are part of our family now. You never have to feel left out again. We want you to be with us for as long as any of us has on this planet. Anytime you need to talk just think of who you want to talk with and our friends will put the call through for you.” Paula felt something on her cheeks, and when she touched it she found out they were tears, tears of joy. A joy she had never felt since the day she was born. She was even more surprised as the eight teens surrounded her and gave her a group hug, welcoming her to their family. When the hug ended, Paula’s eyes were red from crying. Crying because a group of people, teens, had accepted her just the way she was.

Tony hamed it up when the subs arrived, getting another playful swat from Tara, who received a deep kiss this time. After they finished eating, Terry and Paula went back to the Terry and Paula show, slowly putting the model back together while explaining what was on each page of the blueprint. Two hours later they closed the last page of the blueprint and the roof was finally on the model. The teens just stared at the model, commenting every so often, “Just think, one day it will be ours.”

“The eight of you came to us to find out the cost of building something like you see on the table in front of you. But telling you today’s costs will do you no good, say, in twenty years. The price for some things might stay the same, but you can bet anything we quote you today would double or triple by then. Still, you asked for a cost, so if you built this building today, fully equipped, you’d be looking at something between 5 million and 10 million dollars. And if you used our firm, we would insist nothing less than the best building materials. Plus, you have to remember that there are regulations that have to be built into that building.” Both Terry and Paula had watched the teens closely when Terry quoted them an estimate of the cost to build the clinic. Both were puzzled, and looked at each other, until Paula thumbed through the material they had, and found the part where an investment firm had pledged to put up ¾ of the cost to build the building. That meant the teens only had to foot ¼ of the cost. Even so, ¼ of 5 or 10 million dollars was still a hunk of change. But given what she now knew about these teens, they’d raise the money or borrow it without any problems.

Terry told the teens one more thing before he let them leave. “That model,” and he pointed to the model on the table, “will be going into our vault, as will this set of blueprints. We will keep them until you’re ready to build, and we hope, I hope, you’ll let us do the work for you. You really are a special bunch of teens.” Just two meetings had brought the two professionals closer to the teens than they’d ever been to any other client. Hand shakes wouldn’t do as the teens got up to leave. Both Terry and Paula received hugs from all eight teens before they watched the teens leave the small conference room. Both Terry and Paula smiled, as they heard the teens holler shortly after they left the room. It may have been The Haints who gave Terry the feeling he’d be seeing those teens after twenty or so years, or just a gut feeling. But somehow he knew they’d be back, back and ready to build.


*-*-*Chapter 21*-*-*

Two unexpected events were about to center around the high school, thanks to everything The Haints had done. Or maybe it might be better to say because of what they had done. Shannon Kenlowski is a reporter for the Daily News, who has made a name for herself because of the warmth and compassion she puts into the human interest articles she writes for the paper. She has heard of the changes that have taken place at the high school and wants to write an article about Then and Now, how things were Then and how they are Now. But during her research, she uncovers what appears to be embezzlement by six of the seven local school board members for the past five years. She runs what she found by her editor and they both see a story so big that Shannon is given the go ahead to look into it.

Also, because they helped to rid the school of bullying, those students who would have suffered because they were different, somehow, were now able to concentrate on their classes. And because of all this, tension in the school has all but dropped and everyone’s grade average has increased, which has made the high school one of the top schools in the State. This fact has not escaped the notice of State School Board investigator Sandy Carmody, whose reputation as a human rottweiler is duly deserved. When Sandy brings this before the State School Superintendent she gets the go ahead to investigate, and take whatever action is necessary. Including terminating anyone found to be involved with illegal activities.

Before The Haints arrived, even before Tameria was, bullying at the high school was rampt. Jenny did what she could but with only one security guard, and no cameras, what little she could do wasn’t enough. She and some parents would go before the school board and plead their cases. And each year, and time, all they received was “Maybe next year, but right now we just don’t have the money.” Each year at least five students from each grade level would leave school because of being bullied or from constantly being harassed. Some would just drop out, some would start homeschooling, and some would just work on getting their GED. Some parents turned a blind eye to their child’s plight and several students were found in their beds the following morning permanently asleep. And some were found in the garage at the end of a rope. Though too late for their child, those parents who lost a child because of bullying or constant harassment, joined those parents who were screaming at the local school board for changes to be made at the high school.

But then Tameria and The Haints arrived and things made a 180 degree turn. With Tameria’s help, The Haints learned what aggression was needed and what aggression was used to hurt others. Those who had it in themselves to hurt those who were different, found out where such aggression could lead in vivid details. They also had a change of attitude which forever changed not only their life but those around them. And when it was found that a parent, or parents, were encouraging such behavior, they too were given the same lesson.

This is the story Shannon Kenlowski wanted to write about, how it was before and how it was now. She called the high school office and asked if Principal Jenny Glasstow would have time for an interview. She was told, “One moment please,” and placed on hold. When the line was picked up again, she was speaking directly to Jenny, who was pleased to be interviewed and had time that afternoon. After hanging up the phone, Shannon saw she had several hours before her meeting with Jenny and started the research she’d need if she was going to sound intelligent when she interviewed Jenny.

Much of what she needed was in public records, so gaining that information proved no problem. But when she started going over those records, she found some inconsistencies that seemed rather odd. For instance. According to the school board minutes she skimmed, when Principal Glasstow went before the local school board to ask for more money to hire more security guards and install cameras at the high school, for the past five years she was told the school board didn’t have the extra money. That the State hadn’t given them what they’d been given the previous year. And yet when Shannon quickly looked up what the State sent to the high school for the past five years, she saw there should have been more than enough to accommodate Jenny’s request. On a hunch, she made a phone call to someone who was skilled enough to get her some information she wanted to check out.

The guy Shannon called was more than your average hacker. The man could do things with a computer even the inventors of the computer never knew could be done. He and Shannon were on good terms because he once got into the files of an organization who was not happy with what he had done, and were about to explain it to him. Shannon got wind of what they were going to do and warned him before they got the chance to ‘teach him a lesson’. And they never got a chance to do anything to him or anything else for over 50 years. When he had hacked into their system, he downloaded everything that was on their server. Shannon’s warning caused him to send it all anonymously to the DA’s office. When the DA saw what he had received, arrest warrants were issued and every member of that organization was arrested. When presented with the evidence against them, they accepted the DA’s plea agreement and were promptly sentenced to 25 years on each count of the indictment. It was a very short trial.

“Hi, it’s me...I need you to do me a favor...I’ve got a hunch something fishy is going on with the local school board, and maybe the Superintendent of School...Well, I’d rather not say right now...You think you could get me the financial statements for all the school board members and the Superintendent?...Yeah, the usual place, and I’ll buy this time...Great, see you then.”

Shannon had time to catch lunch before her interview with Jenny, and headed to her favorite spot, The Fish Palace. As she drove to the restaurant she kept thinking about what she had uncovered, and who all might be involved if it was true. She also wondered if she should share the information with Principal Glasstow. That determination would have to wait until she met Jenny.

Shannon pulled into the high school parking lot, parked her car in the first spot she found, and walked across the parking lot and into the school, explaining to the person at the door why she was there. She was directed to the office, and as she walked towards the office, she saw how clean the building was, and how it looked as new as the day it was built. She also noticed a change in atmosphere from the last time she was there covering an awards ceremony. The tension she felt then was now gone. There was a peacefulness she knew was there but had no explanation. Even the students were friendlier as she was greeted by several as she walked to the office. Once in the office, and telling who she was and why she was there, she was taken to a small meeting room where Jenny sat waiting. Jenny stood when Shannon entered the room, introductions were made, and Jenny asked if Shannon would like something to drink. After Jenny got Shannon a bottle of bottled water out of the small fridge, it was made clear that she was just Jenny and not Principal Glasstow. Shannon laughed and said it was just Shannon back at Jenny. Unknown to Shannon, Jenny had a short conversation before Shannon explained why she was at the school

”We are The Haints. Jenny Glasstow. We trust Shannon Kenlowski. Jenny Glasstow. Shannon Kenlowski has important information you must hear. Jenny Glasstow.”

Jenny never let on that she’d just talked to someone as Shannon began by explaining why she was there. “Jenny, it has gotten around the City that real changes have been made at this school. I remember how it used to be when I attended school here, and the stories that were told over the years. And now there are stories of no more bullying or harassment, grades have improved, and even when I walked into the building I felt the difference. Even the student’s are different, as several said hi as they walked by me. I want to do a story of ‘Then and Now’, how the school was and how it is now.”

Jenny knew in an instant the type of questions Shannon was going to ask, and how awkward it was going to be in answering them because of the secret which had to be kept at this point in time. She also remembered what
The Haints told her and decided to plunge ahead with the truth. “Shannon, do you have an open mind? Do you believe in things you can’t see or prove easily? For me to give you truthful answers to your questions, you must answer these few questions.”

The questions Jenny asked have become standard questions when The Haints wanted to meet someone they trusted. And the look Shannon gave Jenny was the same look they always received after those questions were asked. Jenny held up her hand as she saw Shannon start to ask a question, and told her, “Shannon, I’m sorry, but unless you can answer those questions for yourself I may not be able to answer any of the questions you want to ask.” Jenny knew this statement was a risk, given Shannon’s profession, but it was necessary if Shannon was to be told the whole truth.

Shannon could see by the look on Jenny’s face that no further answers would be coming from Jenny until she answered Jenny’s questions. Looking at Jenny’s first question, did she have an open mind, yes, she felt she did, given her profession. She’d be a poor journalist/reporter if she had preconceived opinions about any story she wrote. The job of a journalist/reporter was to give the readers the facts, not make them up as the story went along. Did she believe in things she couldn’t see? Well, duh, there were a lot of things she couldn’t see that she believed in. Like air, a very necessary item if life was to exist on Earth. But Shannon didn’t think that’s what Jenny meant. “Jenny, why the questions,” she asked, “my profession requires me to have an open mind if I’m to do my job properly. But belief in things I can’t see or easily prove? There are many things that can’t be seen or easily proved, without specialized equipment, and I believe in those things. But I’ve a feeling that’s not what you mean by that question.”

Jenny just smiled before answering Shannon’s question. “Shannon, I have some friends who would like to meet you because they trust you and have told me you have information I need to hear. Unless you have an open mind, and can believe in things you cannot see, you may have a very hard time when they meet you.”

Shannon was nodding her head after she heard Jenny’s reasoning for the questions, and if she was in her position she’d be asking the same questions. “Yes, Jenny, I have an open mind and do believe in things I can’t see or would be hard to prove. And you’ve piqued my interest concerning your friends. I’d like to meet them. Will it take long for them to arrive?” When Shannon quit speaking she again saw a smile form on Jenny’s face, presumably because of what she had just said.

“Shannon, I’m glad to hear your answers because it will make it easier on you when you meet my friends. And it won’t take any time at all before they arrive, take my hand.” Jenny smiled inwardly as she saw the same puzzled look on Shannon’s face as every other person who was told, “Take my hand.”

Shannon saw the warm and jovial Jenny disappear the minute she asked her questions. Even now she saw an extremely serious looking Jenny staring at her with her hand extended. Shannon didn’t understand why it was necessary to take Jenny’s hand, or felt there was any danger in doing so, so she placed her hand into Jenny’s outstretched hand.

”We are The Haints. Shannon Kenlowski. Be at Peace. We will to do you no harm.”

Shannon was no different than many of those who had previously met The Haints and pulled her hand out of Jenny’s. “Whoa, there, that was interesting. Those are the friends you talked about, Jenny?” Shannon asked Jenny and received a nod in return. “And I’m guessing there’s more they have to say?,” Shannon asked, again receiving a nod from Jenny. “Okaayy...too late to back out now isn’t it,” Shannon said, more to herself than to Jenny. As she looked at Jenny she saw a big smile on her face and received another nod.

Jenny watched as Shannon once again took her hand, and when she closed her eyes she knew The Haints had resumed speaking. And when she heard Shannon say, “Oh, my gawd, bloody hell,” she knew they had shown Shannon what occurred on their planet and the results. The end came when Shannon opened her eyes and gently took her hand out of Jenny’s hand, before she covered her face and wept openly. Jenny reached across the short distance between them and pulled Shannon into a gentle embrace and let her cry herself out. And as many had who had spoken to The Haints Shannon said, through tears, “My gawd, a whole planet destroyed because some were acting like five year olds who brought the ball to the game, and wanted to pitch even though they couldn’t throw.” When Shannon had calmed down a bit, the two women pulled apart and Jenny produced a tissue as though by magic. “All of those people, dead, even the ones who started the wars. What a waste, what STUPIDITY. And yeah, Jenny, I have some information you need to hear. Information that may show why you’ve had trouble getting those items on your bucket list. Though with friends like them around, some of those items really aren’t needed, are they?” Shannon had yet to see The Haints in action with an aggressive person, but she felt in her bones they were a force to reckon with.”

Jenny got up and went to the little fridge in the room, returning with two more bottles of bottled water and handing one to Shannon. She watched as Shannon cracked the cap, then drained about half of the water in the bottle. “Feeling better, now?,” Jenny asked, and Shannon just nodded her head. “Your meeting with The Haints was at their request, and necessary if you were to know the truth about the changes that have taken place in this school. Plus, because they trust you, you will be able to help them reach more people and hopefully prevent what occurred to their planet. They probably told you, but at this point in time, their existence must, MUST, be kept secret. I don’t think I have to explain to you what could happen if the wrong people discovered their existence.” And Shannon did understand, and told Jenny so before Jenny started explaining the changes that had occurred.

Jenny had been speaking for the past hour nonstop. She compared now with Shannon’s time at the school and everything she’d heard. Jenny then had told of how, because of The Haints only new students to the school had to be watched for aggression that would hurt others. Jenny even told Shannon about the changes that had occurred in some homes because of them. She then went on to explain how grade averages had shot up because those who were seen as different no longer had to worry about being bullied or harassed. Jenny then asked Shannon a big question, “Given what you now know, and what I’ve told you, how will you write a story that won’t give the whole truth away? You can fudge the truth a bit, but from what I’ve read, that isn’t your style.”

It was Jenny’s turn to be a bit shocked, as a predatory smile appeared on Shannon’s face. “When I finish telling you everything I’ve found, and suspect, my original story would have appeared on page 50, if our paper had 50 pages. Jenny, my story was to be a human interest story about this high school, about all the changes that have taken place in such a short amount of time. But when I started my research I found several inconsistencies going back five years. And it seems six of the seven school board members, and the school Superintendent, are involved. I have...um...a friend who is helping me get more information. Information I can’t show anyone, but will confirm my suspicions.” Shannon then handed Jenny a thumb drive and explained it was a copy of the information she had gathered so far. And like the secret that must be kept secret, what was on the thumb drive had to be kept secret until enough information could be gathered and taken to the DA.

It was Jenny’s turn to offer up a predatory smile and told Shannon she’d be right back, as she got up from her chair and left the room. A few minutes later she returned with her laptop, plugged in the power cord and turned it on. “This might seem like every other laptop, Shannon, but it has a very special protection that prevents anyone using it but me. And something else you’ll eventually find out about our friends, Shannon, they are a wiz with computers. And your friend, who I assume is an ace hacker? He knows nothing compared to our friends.” Jenny plugged in the thumb drive and instantly its contents came up on the screen. As Shannon watched, Jenny said, “Please search the entire contents and correlate any anomalies going back five years.” As both women watched, line after line scrolled up the screen faster than either could read. Within moments, another screen opened and both saw financial figures going back five years. On the left were the figures the State had sent to the school district. In the middle were the figures showing what the school received. On the right were the figures that showed the differences between the two previous figures.

It was Shannon who broke the silence by asking, “So, where did the rest of the money go? If all this,” and she pointed to the left hand column, “was earmarked for this school, why did you only receive this,” and she pointed to the middle column. “Local taxes should have been enough to handle administrative costs, so where’s the rest of the money?”

Jenny gave Shannon another predatory smile and told her, “Watch and learn, grasshopper.” Shannon just smiled at the TV reference before she heard Jenny say, “Deep dive, please. We need to know where the rest of the money went and who was involved with its disappearance.” Jenny sat back in her chair, put both hands behind her head, locking her fingers together and told Shannon, “This might take a few minutes. Might as well get comfortable.”

Shannon had almost drifted off to sleep when Jenny’s laptop dinged, after only twenty minutes. The sound snapped her alert and as she and Jenny looked at the window which had opened, Shannon let out a whistle, while Jenny said, “Those stinking BASTARDS!” There on the screen was the rest of the money, and the names behind its disappearance. It took the two women over an hour and a half to scroll through everything The Haints had uncovered. The information had been broken down by year, showing the missing amount on the left and an invoice showing the company the items were supposed to have been purchased from, and the date. Directly below this were copies of that company’s books for the date on the invoice. When Shannon and Jenny looked at those copies, for the invoice date, they didn’t see anything relating to the school at all. And it was like this throughout all the information on the screen.

When the two ladies had looked at all the information currently on the screen, a flashing icon popped up at the top right of the screen. Jenny clicked on it and another window opened with names, dates, and amounts listed. On the left was the missing money. In the second column was the name of six of the seven school board members. In the third column was an amount next to each name, with the date in the last column. The two ladies realized they were looking at the bank statements for six of the school board members going back for five years. But they weren’t finished yet, as another flashing icon appeared at the top right of the screen after the ladies had looked through what was currently on the screen.

When Jenny clicked on that icon, she and Shannon just whistled together. What The Haints had done this time was to compare those six school board members’ salaries with their personal expenditures, and what Jenny and Shannon saw showed each member spending way above their income level. And, without a bit of debt to their names. Even the Superintendent, with his six figure salary, shouldn’t have been able to buy a six figure Lamborghini without having debt because of the purchase. As Shannon watched, Jenny pulled out her cell phone and dialed a number. Shannon’s eyes got big when she heard who Jenny had just called.

“Gerry, it’s me...You busy right now?...Good, excellent...Are you alone?...That’s even better...Get out your special laptop and fire it up...You ready?...Our friends dug this up after I talked with Shannon Kenlowski on a story she was going to do about the high school…” Jenny then said, “Send all to Gerry Stevens,” then she got back on her phone. “You get it?...Excellent...Yeah, I know, but it will give your investigators a starting point, and they can uncover the same information that can be used...Just say it was a tip you received from Shannon while she was researching her story about the high school, it is the truth...Tell me about it, this school was the one that got screwed royally...Yeah, we already figured it all better be kept on the QT for now or some or all of those six might rabbit...Alright, see ya when, bye.” Jenny saw the apoplectic look on Shannon’s face, and she laughed. “Yes, that was DA Gerry Stevens, the first woman DA in over five years, and one of the best this City has ever had. She’s a bulldog, but only puts her teeth in when she has too.”

Jenny had met Gerry Stevens because of an incident that occurred shortly after Tameria had started school. She found out Gerry had a steel trap for a mind and wouldn’t let go about how certain things were discovered. As others in the close knit family, she was told that Gerry could be trusted and should be told the truth, which she was. And like others before had, when she was shown the consequences of stupidity and arrogance, she broke down and cried. Jenny told all this to Shannon, also letting her know that any time she uncovered something illegal, as she had done recently, she could call Gerry and Gerry would willingly run with it. As the two had been at it for more than three hours, and Jenny had another PIA to deal with tomorrow, both women decided it was time to go, promising to keep in touch. Jenny left Shannon with one parting bit of information. “Shannon, before you go you need to know something else. Anytime you want to speak with anyone who’ve met our friends, all you need to do is think of their name, and our friends will make the call for you. It saves a few bucks,” and Jenny grinned when this was said.


*-*-*Chapter 22*-*-*

Jenny was ready for the State Board of Education investigators when the three pulled into the school parking lot the next morning. Her guns were primed and her friends were there if they were needed, which according to them, they would be for Sandy Carmody, a real bitch when she got her teeth into something. She was even given the pet name of Rottweiler, a dog with an attitude. After parking their car, in a place for school staff only, Sandy got out of the car, and not waiting for her two colleagues, practically ran to the front doors of the high school. She walked right past the person at the front door without saying a word, hell bent on her mission to get into the office to roast Principal Jenny Glasstow’s ass. Billie Randolph and Thomas Stewarts, Sandy’s colleagues, both out of breath, finally caught up with Sandy in the office as Sandy loudly demanded, “I’m from the State Board of Education Investigations, here to see Principal Jenny Glasstow. I DEMAND to see her NOW.” Billie looked at Thomas and Thomas looked at Billie, and both shook their heads at Sandy’s crude manners. Though Thomas wasn’t really surprised by Sandy’s actions, it was the exact thing Thomas had been asked to look for, as he held some papers he would present to Sandy very shortly.

Each teacher in the school took turns helping at the office reception desk during one of their free periods. And today Janet Bridges was there when Sandy went into her domination routine. Janet calmly told the students, also helping out, to go about their work, that she’d take care of this problem. She took her time walking to the other side of the counter from Sandy and asked, “And you are?” Every time Sandy played her domination routine, everyone in the school office jumped before asking how high. This time, though, she had a woman standing in front of her who wasn’t phased in the least by Sandy’s act.

When Sandy shouted who she was and who she was with, she expected everyone, including the woman before her, to jump as high as they could. But all she got from the woman before her was, “I don’t know who the hell you think you are, but if you shout in here one more time, I’ll pull your ass out through your mouth. Got it? Now you be a good little girl and go over there and sit down until Principal Glasstow is available.” Sandy was red faced now, she was boiling mad, how dare anyone treat her this way. And was about to give a retort when something in the look the woman across from her gave her actually frightened her. Frightened her so much she simply followed the woman’s instructions. Sandy didn’t see it, but Janet did, as Sandy’s two companions each covered their mouths to keep from laughing out loud. One even winked at Janet before following Sandy to the chairs against one wall of the office. Janet then picked up the phone and pretended to call the Principal, even speaking her name, to let her know the people from the State Board of Education had arrived, when they were actually thought-speaking amongst themselves. And Jenny just laughed, congratulating Janet on a job well done, since they had let Jenny see what took place at the reception desk as it happened.

Sandy believed if she arrived before her appointed meeting time of 9 a.m. she’d catch everyone off guard, panic them into doing exactly what they were told by her, it had worked many times before. But there she sat, confused, wondering what had gone wrong this time. Billie looked at Thomas and Thomas looked at Billie and both just smirked at Sandy being taken down a peg. A peg that had only just begun for Sandy.

At precisely 9 a.m. Jenny came out of her office, doing her best to suppress a laugh that threatened to escape her mouth as she took in the fumes pouring off Sandy. Jenny schooled herself, walked around the reception desk, and said, “Ms. Carmody, I’m Principal Glasstow.”

If someone had a pot of water right then, it could have boiled in short order if placed on Sandy’s head. She was furious, hopping mad that she’d been kept waiting for a whole half hour. Sandy jumped up from the chair she’d been sitting in and practically ran up to Jenny before saying, “How dare you keep me waiting. Do you realize I’ve been sitting here for a half hour waiting for you? Do you realize how important I am to be kept waiting? I have the power to shut this entire school down with just a word.” This time both Billie and Thomas, who followed Sandy at a more sedate pace, both rolled their eyes at Sandy’s statements. Thomas knew what he was about to do was going to be the sweetest thing he’d done since being hired by the State Board of Education. And he was going to savor it.

Jenny looked past Sandy to the clock over the main door into the office, and saw it showed a little after 9 a.m. Looking back at Sandy, Jenny said, “Ms. Carmody, our meeting was scheduled for 9 a.m., and here it’s a little after that time. That you came early was your own decision, not mine. I had things to take care of and was not able to meet with you until our scheduled 9 a.m. time frame.” Jenny kept her voice the same as Janet had, light, uncaring, and very, very sweet. She could see how her manner was affecting Sandy, who was so red in the face Jenny thought the woman might explode any second.

Sandy made the mistake of getting right into Jenny’s face, lowering her voice, before telling her with a growl, “Listen to me you bitch. When I arrive you drop everything you’re doing and come running. Got it? You jump when I say jump and don’t ask how high. You do anything and everything I say or you and this rat ass excuse for a high school will be history.” Sandy was trying to regain control of this situation by what she said. And was expecting Jenny to start showing fear, but what she saw showed Jenny, like Janet, wasn’t phased by Sandy’s actions.

Sandy’s voice had been loud enough for everyone in the office to hear. And what Jenny was about to say was also heard by all in the office. Jenny gave Sandy a huge smile before telling her, “I understand Mrs. Bridges threatened to pull your ass out through your mouth. Well, understand me, sweetie, you bad mouth me or this school again and I’ll pull your head out through your ass and hang it and you up on the flagpole. GOT IT, sweetie?” There were giggles heard in the office until Jenny told everyone to get back to their jobs. Jenny’s sweet expression never wavered, never changed by what she told Sandy. Even so, when Sandy looked into Jenny’s face, she received that same look that frightened her right down to her toes. And then Jenny said, “Shall we go?,” and proceeded to lead the three to one of the conference rooms in the back of the office.

As Sandy, Billie, and Thomas followed Jenny, Sandy was furiously wracking her brain to find a way to regain control over this meeting. It should not have started the way it had, she should have been in control from the minute she walked into the school. Why? Why hadn’t it gone as it always had? What went wrong? She had to regain control somehow. Jenny stopped at the conference room door, opened it and indicated the three should enter. Sandy pushed her way past Jenny before Jenny had time to step out of the way. Billie and Thomas, on the other hand, waited until Jenny had stepped back before entering the room. Thomas only smiled as he looked at Jenny, before he winked and entered the room. Jenny wasn’t sure, but she got the feeling something was up and it wasn’t going to be pleasant for one individual.

As Jenny stepped into the conference room, closing the door behind her, she saw that Sandy had taken the seat at the head of the table. Amused, she asked if anyone wanted something to drink, and when all three indicated no, she took the seat to the right of Sandy.

Jenny’s lack of anticipated response still had Sandy puzzled, it actually frightened her, but she plowed ahead anyway. “Now, Principal Glasstow, Thomas is our IT person and will need a place to set up his computer so he can begin to look at all the files on the school server. He will also need all the codes and passwords for the server. Billie will be dealing with the teacher interviews, so will need a room to hold those. And you and I will get nice and cozy while I interview you and get to the bottom of all the fraud that’s taken place at this school.” Sandy thought she could finally see her control once again established as the expression on Jenny’s face changed. But Sandy’s belief of regaining control became something altogether different.

Jenny just laughed after hearing what Sandy just said, causing Sandy to become infuriated. “Ms. Carmody, there is another conference room just down the hall that Billie may use to interview the teachers during their free periods, but I’m afraid there’s a problem with letting Thomas into the school servers. Unless you brought with you the proper verifiable documentation that authenticates who the three of you are, and for Thomas to have the authority to access the school servers, I’m afraid this meeting is over. It’s a State Law, Ms. Carmody.” And Jenny just smiled at Sandy.

Sandy was livid because of what Jenny just told her. How dare some low life Principal give her a lecture on State Law, didn’t she realize who Sandy was and could do to the school. And if that wasn’t enough, she heard Thomas tell her, “Sandy, I tried to tell you we needed those documents before we left the office. But noo...you said you didn’t need any damn documents. That you could do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted.”

Sandy just glared at Thomas before telling him, “I’ll handle your hash later, this will be the last time you ever work in the education field. I’ll see to it that you’re thrown out on your ass.” Sandy turned to Jenny and told her, in no uncertain terms, “Listen here, you trumped up asshole, you’ll do what I want, when I want and how I say it will be done. Or I’ll close this school down immediately. Got it, sweetie?”

All three heard a loud BANG, that immediately got Sandy’s attention. She looked over to where the noise had come and saw Thomas had dropped his briefcase hard onto the table. It didn’t register at first, but when it did, Billie, Thomas, and Jenny watched as Sandy had a five year old’s melt down. “Um...no she won’t, Sandy. And you can’t get me fired, Jackie hired me personally. In fact, Jackie asked Billie and me to watch you this trip,” and Thomas took an envelope out of his briefcase and handed Sandy the envelope and continued with, “And to give you this envelope if you tried any of your power trips like you’ve been pulling. She is sick and tired of the complaints she’s been receiving and is fed up with you. Oh, and Billie and I already investigated this school and found nothing amiss.”

Jenny puckered her mouth as tight as she could, to keep from laughing. It didn’t take her but a few seconds to realize what was in that envelope, based on what Thomas just said. Sandy was canned, fired, getting the boot, shoved aside, kicked to the curb, through, kaput, in short, out of a job. Sandy extended her hand and took the envelope, a stunned look on her face. She slowly opened the envelope, took out the contents, a letter, and began to read. It wasn’t long before the other three saw that Sandy was ready to blow. And when she did, Jenny thought she was looking at a five-year-old child.

When Sandy looked up from the letter, Jenny had never seen someone so mad as Sandy was right now. She looked at Thomas and growled, “What the hell is this, Thomas?” And when he didn’t respond right that minute, she yelled, “I SAID, WHAT THE HELL IS ALL THIS, THOMAS?” Thomas just sat there with a blank look on his face that bordered on boredom. He too, like Jackie, and Billie, was tired of Sandy and her antics. Thomas knew, from Jackie, the number of complaints Sandy had caused because of her antics. And Sandy was far from through. “DAMN IT, THOMAS, I ASKED YOU WHAT THE HELL THIS IS? YOU WILL ANSWER ME OR SO HELP ME I MAKE YOU LIFE A LIVING HELL.” Sandy had crumpled up the letter and thrown it at Thomas. Thomas caught it, flattened it back out and told Sandy as an insult, “Well, Sandy, if you read the letter slow enough it tells you that you’re fired. That you’ve caused too much strife in the office and when you go out to the schools. It also states that because of your past actions, it would be wise of you to seek professional help for the affliction you seem to have. It also states that because you are terminated at receipt of this letter, the State will not provide transportation back to the Capitol for you. In short, Sandy, you’ve been fired.

“OF ALL THE MITIGATED GAUL, THAT BITCH DIDN’T HAVE THE COURAGE TO TELL ME THIS TO MY FACE. SO ALL THIS WAS A SETUP? IT WAS ALL PLANNED JUST TO GET ME FIRED, IS THAT IT? WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, MR. THOMASS, WHEN MY LAWYER GETS THROUGH WITH ALL OF YOU, YOU’LL REGRET EVER SCREWING WITH ME. DO YOU HEAR ME. SCREW WITH ME AND YOU’LL ALL DIE!!

All of a sudden Sandy went quiet and stiff as a board. Jenny had seen this several times before when someone was threatening others, and knew what had happened. Billie and Thomas, on the other hand, didn’t know The Haints were working on Sandy and looked rather scared because of Sandy’s sudden stillness. Jenny looked at the two and told them, “She’s okay, just getting a serious lesson about aggression.” Jenny then got the message that they were okay with what Jenny told the two, even that they wanted to meet both people. As the three watched, Sandy got up from her chair, asked to use the phone, and they heard her order a cab to take her to the airport. Sandy then picked up her briefcase and left the room, almost in a zombie manner. Jenny got on the phone and called the front desk, asking Janet to watch over Sandy because she just had an aggression lesson. Janet knew exactly what Jenny meant, as she turned and saw Sandy walking toward the front in a zombie manner. She followed Sandy out of the office and out of the school to a waiting cab. Sandy got into the cab, told the driver where she wanted to go, and the cab pulled out of the parking lot headed to the airport.

“Um...what just happened?” Billie asked. “One minute Sandy was a raving maniac and the next she acted like a zombie.”

Jenny just smiled and asked the two, “Would you two like something to drink?” Both indicated, water, and Jenny got up, walked to the small fridge and took out three bottles of bottled water. After handing one to Billie and Thomas, she sat back in her chair and asked, “Do you two have open minds? Do you two believe in things you can’t readily see or easily prove? I ask because I have some friends who’d like to meet the two of you, and the questions I just asked will help you when you meet my friends.”

Thomas answered Jenny’s questions by saying, “Jenny, may I address you as Jenny?” Jenny nodded yes. “Good. Okay, Jenny, I have to have an open mind with the IT work I do. I can’t have any preconceived notions if I’m trying to fix a problem or write a program.” Billie answered by telling Jenny about her faith in God, and that her faith in God had helped her through some trying times.

Jenny smiled and told the two, “Each of you take one of my hands,” and she reached her hands across the table, knowing exactly what was going to happen next. And it did, with Thomas. And Jenny just smiled and told him, as she’d told others, “Trust them, they mean you no harm.” After The Haints finished with Billie and Thomas, they and Jenny talked for another hour about The Haints and what they’d done for the school. Jenny related some stories where some students were actually about to hurt another student before They stepped in and showed what aggression often led too. Jenny then cautioned the pair about keeping the secret at this time, until those who might use them against others had been reached. The three shook hands and Jenny led them out of the conference room and out to the parking lot, where they got into their car and drove off. And The Haints went with them.


*-*-*Chapter 23*-*-*

The eight teens continued meeting each Saturday, going over what they’d developed, adding more ideas, and overall wondering how much will have changed in twenty years. They became more involved in their school life, volunteering when and where they could. And where they were strongest, they only got better.

The entire atmosphere of the school had changed, since bullying was almost unheard of now. There were a few problems, mostly from transfers or from the freshmen class, but overall, The Haints allowed the school to function as it never had. And it was proven by the test sores and improvement in grades. Some other Principals had called Jenny in order to find out how she had done away with her problem students, only to hear her ask if they had time to visit her at the high school. Almost everyone of those Principals learned the truth and took it back to their high schools. More teachers and staff were introduced to the truth, and gladly accepted their quiet guests in their lives. A lot of attitudes were changed every time they saw what happens if aggression is taken to its ultimate extreme. And a lot wept when they saw it happen.

The Haints caused an unforeseen problem when the eight teens reached their senior year. Because they had rid the school of bullying students could study better, concentrate on their classes and just be themselves. As a result, almost the entire senior class was either on the Valedictorian or Salutatorian list. Those who weren’t on either list were just happy they’d raised their overall grade average to a ‘B’ average, instead of a ‘C’, ‘D’, or failing grade. With a little over ¾ of the senior class on either list, it wasn’t possible for everyone to give the obligatory speech at Commencement. Jenny had a staff meeting to discuss the problem and no one could come up with a plausible solution. One teacher did come up with an idea of asking the entire senior class for a solution. When that was said, eyes rolled, and a few facepalmed themselves for not thinking of that in the first place. So Jenny scheduled a meeting of the entire senior class in the auditorium for the following morning. And what the staff would hear would cause them all to groan.

All seniors had received notice of the meeting in the auditorium the following morning at 8 a.m. They would go to the auditorium first, and then afterwards to their next class. Questions were flying fast and furious, but no answers could be found. As they walked into the auditorium the next morning, Jenny, the Vice-Principal, and several teachers were sitting on the edge of the auditorium stage. When the last of the seniors arrived, Jenny hoisted herself up onto the stage and gave out a loud whistle to get the attention of the students and to have them quiet down.

Jenny waited until it was quiet before telling the seniors, “Folks, we have a problem we’d like your help with. Since bullies have been run out of this school all of the grades have improved. Improved to the point that this is the first graduating class where more than ¾ of you are either on the Valedictorian or Salutatorian list. I will tell you there are 295 students in this class, you do the math. And for those who are graduating with very respectable grades compared to a few years ago, congratulations.”

Jenny then continued with, “The problem is a simple one. On Commencement night, the Valedictorian and Salutatorian are supposed to give a speech, but with as many on either list, we can’t let everyone give a speech or we’d be there until the following morning. The teachers and I have had meeting after meeting to try and solve this problem, but have come up blank. So we’re coming to you to see if you can come up with a solution.”

The general buzz started, with students talking to each other in lowered voices. But no one brought up any ideas. That is, until a tentative hand was raised and students around the student started getting quiet, which rippled throughout the auditorium. Patsy Volton was a very shy person, though smart as a whip. And everyone knew it. Teachers had to specifically call on Patsy for answers or she’d just sit quietly in the back of any of her classes. Seeing Patsy raise her hand before being called on was out of character for her, and that’s what got everyone’s attention.

Patsy’s name was whispered from one student to another, causing everyone to become quiet and turn to look at Patsy. Even Jenny and the teachers were surprised by this event, and had looked at each other with nods and smiles. As soon as the auditorium was quiet again, Jenny said, “Yes, Patsy, you have something you’d like to say?” Those sitting near her, and those with a clear view of her, could see she was nervous, and those sitting near her simply told her, “You can do it.”

Patsy hesitantly stood, and saw everyone was looking at her. A girl sitting next to her gently took Patsy’s hand, and when Patsy looked down, the girl mouthed, ‘You can do it’. Patsy smiled at the girl then took a deep breath and said, “Um...Principal Glasstow...um...well...have you considered a lottery? Have two boxes, one for the Valedictorians and one for the Salutatorians. Those of the Valedictorians who want to give a speech put their name in their box and the same for the Salutatorians.” And the auditorium was dead quiet, until applause started from the far corner nearest the stage. And it spread, as did every student who started standing while applauding. Even Jenny and the teachers joined in, because this was a monumental moment for one Patsy Volton, the shy girl of the entire senior class. A girl who at that moment may have just come out of her shell.

As the applause died down, and the students sat back down, Jenny said, “So, I guess you like the idea of a lottery.” And the entire senior class replied, “YES.” A solution to a vexing problem was found, given by a girl who may never have spoken a word during class. But had the courage to stand up and be heard when it was needed. Jenny then said, “Okay, that is solved. For those of you who want to give a speech, there will be two boxes up at the front office. Just write your name on a piece of paper, it doesn’t have to be a full sheet of paper, and put it into the appropriate box.” Then she looked at Patsy Volton and told her, “Well done Patsy, well done indeed.” And Patsy received another standing ovation before everyone was dismissed to their next class. Jenny and the teachers had decided to only inform the student whose name was drawn for Valedictorian and the Salutatorian that they were chosen to each give a speech. And if either person wanted to tell others, that was up to them. But this time fate put its hand in and everyone would be surprised when the Valedictorian of the senior class got up to speak. And she would again receive a standing ovation from the entire senior class and those in attendance. Her time will have come. And the years would prove how true it was.

The eight teens bowed out from putting their names in the hat, so to speak, and concentrate on their plans and decide which University they all would attend. As it turned out, the University nearby offered all the Majors and Minors the eight were after, so they decided to attend there as they could live at home and commute. Each had received a full scholarship to any University they chose, and were bombarded by offers because of their grades and their main goal. Even though the other offers were tempting, they all wanted to spend four more years at home, since their next adventure would take them away from home, permanently. Because each couple would be setting up their own homes.

Something expected and something unusual happened after Commencement had concluded. The four boys each got down on one knee, took the promise ring off of four fingers, and replaced them with an engagement ring. Everyone in school knew the eight teens were promised to each other, so when the exchange was made in front of everyone, everyone applauded and cheered. What the eight teens didn’t expect were the envelopes that had been given to each of their parents. When they opened the envelopes, they were shocked to find that an anonymous donor was going to finance anything and everything above what their scholarships covered. The letter also went on to say that the person would finance everything once they were in either medical school or graduate school. Including all housing, which by then, according to the letter, they all would be married. None of the eight had told anyone other than their parents of their plans to marry after receiving their Bachelor’s degrees, or what field they were going into, so each had an idea who the letter could be from. But when they stated it hadn’t come from them, the mystery only deepened.

Beckie, Grace, Tara, and Tameria didn’t let the grass grow under their feet that summer, they had weddings to plan, even though they wouldn’t be held for four more years. And to only say their moms’ were willing to help would be like saying a kid isn’t eager to raid a candy store. The four women jumped in with all eight feet, and then some.

The eight women started by visiting a wedding boutique, to look at wedding dresses and to try them on. They made sure to tell the owner, who was helping them, of their plans to be wed in four years. And she suggested getting dresses that would take into account any changes to their bodies in four years time. This entire time turned to a big bonding moment for the daughters and their moms, and the dresses selected were paid for and put away in storage, at the store, for the girls’ upcoming marriages.

Because the weddings would be four years away, no one had any idea what they style would be for bride’s maid dresses, or the color or choice, but they looked at them anyway. Tameria fell in love with the hue of blue she saw in one dress. Beckie did the same only with a light green she saw. Tara did the same with a light pink colored dress, and Grace fell in love with a cobalt blue dress. Notes of the colors chosen were pinned to each wedding gown, but that was now, and in four years minds could change. Besides colors for their weddings, they also looked at shoes and lingerie. Each chose a shoe that wouldn’t make them taller than the boys, but would make a statement. As to the lingerie, the four girls bought the sexist available, and the moms’ did the same. They planned on having a night their men would remember for the rest of their lives. A venue was discussed, but as it was pointed out, four years was a long time to hold a reservation, so they agreed to come back when the dates had been set. The owner of the boutique put a bug into the womens’ ears by asking, “Have you given any thought of having a four couple wedding? Just watching the four of you young ladies, you appear to have a very close relationship, and a four couple wedding would be all the more special.” All that was agreed to at that moment was to think the idea over, they had four years to do it.

For their summer jobs, the four went back to the businesses who took them on as interns during their earlier years in high school. This time, though, they were paid interns, learning some of the ropes they’d learn while in school and during their job internships. And then fall arrived, enrollments had been turned in and classes selected. It had begun, their walk on the path that would take them to their dream.

None of the eight knew how every organization on the University campus learned about them, but every organization on campus had and they all came recruiting. Knowing the reputation of several, they turned them down flat. Researching others, the eight found they weren’t much better and turned them down. Even the organizations in their field called and when looked into, the eight discovered it was in their best interest to just concentrate on their studies and stay out of any of the organizations.

And it seemed just like that, their first semester was through. It didn’t surprise their parents, or many of their old teachers, but it did the eight as they all received straight ‘As’ for the semester. And they did the same for the second semester, and their second year, and their third year, and their fourth year. From their freshman year to their senior year, eight semesters, all eight had received straight ‘As’. And once again they were part of the group receiving honors for the work they’d done in school. University is a different nature than high school, in that attending the Commencement ceremony is up to the person graduating. The eight had kept pretty much to themselves, having their intern jobs and going over their plans, and with several hundred more graduating than in their high school, decided to skip the Commencement ceremony and go out with their parents and celebrate instead. They were partway to their goal.

During the first semester of their senior year, the moms and girls went back to the wedding boutique to try on their dresses and have any alterations done so they could wear them when the second Saturday in June arrived.

Prior to going to the wedding boutique, everyone had sat down and discussed the idea of having the four couples married during one ceremony, or having four separate ceremonies. Over the years the parents had all seen the tight relationship the eight had formed, and Tara’s parents brought up that fact. James’ parents brought up that if they had individual ceremonies they would most assuredly invite the same people to each wedding. And some may not be able to attend each wedding or afford the costs involved in attending four weddings. The parents went on to offer more opinions, and when they stopped speaking, the eight began to discuss what their parents had said. As the parents watched the discussion, it became apparent to them that their ‘kids’ had reached a decision, and it was confirmed when Beckie said with a smirk on her face, “Whelp, looks like we’re gonna have one big wedding.”

Grace had a thoughtful look on her face that was noticed by her mom. When her mom asked what she was thinking about she told everyone, “You know, the bride usually has four or five bridesmaids, or maybe more, with one being the maid of honor and one the bride’s maid. And the guys have maybe the same number of guys with one being the best man. Since we’re getting married in one ceremony that’s going to be a lot of people standing up front with the couples. Maybe we should limit ourselves to one person each. There’d end up being four bridesmaids and four bestmans, and if I know who Tara, Beckie, Tameria would ask then they’d be the same ones I would ask. So we’d each have four bridesmaids. And I think the guys would ask the same ones, so there’d be four bestmans for each of them.”

Grace was still lost in thought, and didn’t notice the parents all looking at each other and each ‘kid’, or the seven ‘kids’ looking at each other and all the parents. All except Grace started nodding their heads, because what Grace just said made a whole lot of sense. If each girl asked four or five of her friends, there’d be sixteen or twenty standing up with the couples. And the same held true for the guys. There’d be between thirty two and forty additional people standing up front with the couples, way too many and way too costly for everyone. It took Jake kissing Grace on the cheek to get her attention, where she was told her idea had been accepted, and one they’d never even thought of. And during the first semester of their senior year at the University, the girls did ask for girls and the guys asked four guys, and they would have been the same ones if each was going to ask four for themselves.

So on the day the moms and daughters revisited the wedding boutique, the four asked to be bridesmaids were able to attend as well, since all lived close by. The brides-to-be had already chosen their colors, so it was just a matter of finding a style of bridesmaid dress in the bride’s chosen color. And one everyone liked; more than one comment was about hearing how some bridesmaids hated their dresses and the four soon to be brides wanted that to be avoided.

If the letter the ‘kids’ received at their high school graduation wasn’t mysterious enough, a courier delivered a single letter to each home of the ‘kids’ parents. In it was a letter that told the parents to meet at a certain place at a certain time. The place turned out to be one of their favorite restaurants and the time was 7 p.m. When they all arrived, they were expected, and seated in one of the restaurant’s more private sections. Once they were all seated, and drinks had been ordered and served, a smartly dressed gentleman came up to their table, sat an envelope down on the table, and told the eight parents, “This is for all of you. Have a good evening,” and left. The parents looked at each other, dumbfounded, until Grace’s mother, Marge, picked up the envelope, opened it, took out the letter inside and read it. The other parents could see the shock on Marge’s face, until, one by one, each acquired the same look after reading the letter.

The reason for all the parents being in such a state of shock was the certified check that came along with the letter for $250,000. The letter explained that the money was to cover the cost for everything dealing with the wedding. All dresses, all tuxedos, car rentals, any hotel reservations, cartiers, flowers, and the short honeymoon the couples would be limited too. And anything else that came up for the wedding, even airfare. And what was left was to be divided up between each couple so they’d have something to spend on their new apartments that were reserved for them near the University they all would be attending. Also, the newlyweds were to be told, as with their undergraduate schooling, all cost for their postgraduate schooling would be covered. Including everything associated with their apartments. And the letter was signed, ‘Your anonymous donor’. But what put the icing on the cake was the PS at the bottom of the letter. “PS: I took the liberty to reserve the venue you were going to use, in all your names. You need not worry about the cost, for it has already been taken care of.” Their waitress had seen the look on the faces of each parent, and had come over to ask if everything was okay. It took her a couple of tries, but when she finally got their attention, it was Beckie’s mom, Kelly, who said, “Yes, ma’am, everything is more than fine. May we see menus now?” It was a lovely evening for all the parents.

When the ‘kids’ looked at Universities for their postgraduate work, and medical school, they wanted one that offered both and chose one that was only a three hour drive from home. It had an excellent medical school, and excellent programs for a Masters, MBA, and PhD. But as what happened with their undergraduate school choice, the same happened with their postgraduate and medical school choices. Every University in the Nation came calling, some even offering inducements the ‘kids’ knew had to be under the table. But with each and every one they were polite in declining their offers, which didn’t make several happy. Several tried to use threats to get the eight to comply, but soon found out what happened to any who threatened the eight ‘kids’.


*-*-*Chapter 24*-*-*

Their wedding went off without a hitch, and it was gorgeous. The colors chosen by each bride actually complimented each other bridesmaid dress, with the grooms dressed to match a bridesmaid. And the food was to die for, even the huge wedding cake, fit for four couples, was magnificent. And when the parents went to tip the cartiers and the band, they both said it was already taken care of. Handsomely.

Because medical school started the first week of July, and because they wanted to get settled in their new apartments, the ‘kids’ took an abbreviated honeymoon at a resort near the mountains, only a four hour drive from where they currently lived. And yes, they went together, but had separate rooms. For obvious reasons. During the day they swam in a nearby lake, hiked trails, road horses and took in some tourist traps in the small town. They tasted local dishes and even asked for a few recipes. And after dinner, after they went to their rooms, and well, they just enjoyed each other’s company in a very intimate and long lasting way.

After a lovely week it was time to head home and start packing so they could get to their new apartments and get set up before medical school started. But what to take? Clothing sure, but what about their other things, trinkets and the like? They didn’t have any furniture to take, it was going to be purchased once they got there. And some things needed to stay if only for their parents’ sake. After twenty two years living at home, they were about to start their own homes, and made a lot of realizations as they packed. No more could they ask their mom or dad for this or that, they’d have to do it for themselves. No longer could they count on their parents being there if the bottom fell out of something, they’d have to figure that out for themselves too. Mom and dad would still be there for advice, but once they left home and started their own homes, in many respects, they’d have to learn on the fly and use what they saw their parents say and do as guides. And secretly, all the parents hoped they’d done a good job raising their ‘kids’.

The ‘kids’ arrived back home late that Friday, and though they wanted to stay with their spouses, they realized it would take less time packing if they each stayed with their parents. It was 10 a.m. Saturday morning and at precisely 10 a.m. four men each rang the doorbell at each boys’ home, as did four women at the four girls’ home. At most of the homes one of the parents answered the door, invited the person in after that person asked for one of the eight ‘kids’. In a few of the homes, the tried and true method was applied as the younger sibling simply yelled out the ‘kids’ name. And because said sibling had been told more than once about yelling for someone, that yell brought one or both parents to the front door, where the person was invited inside while they waited for the wanted son or daughter.

Four years before eight envelopes had been given to the parents of one of the eight ‘kids’ at the Commencement ceremony. When they were opened it revealed a very pleasant surprise. As everyone who had gathered watched, the man or woman gave each of the eight ‘kids’ an envelope, and watched as each ‘kid’ opened the envelope, took out the letter inside, read it, and promptly plopped down in a nearby chair. Seeing the shocked look on the face of the son or daughter, one of the parents gently took the letter out of their daughter’s or son’s hand and read it, looking at the man or woman standing before them. And before any questions could be asked, the man or woman said the exact same thing, “Yes, what you’ve just read is legitimate. Everything is on the up and up. If you’ll look out front you’ll see them parked at the curb in front of your home.” And the kicker, every letter was signed, ‘Your anonymous donor’.

Gentle urging had to be used to snap each of the ‘kids’ out of their shocked reaction after reading the letters. And when that was done each of the entire families would open the front door to their homes, and stand and stare at the brand new, nine passenger car parked out in front of the homes. And it belonged to each of the eight ‘kids’. And the reaction at seeing the cars was the same, they turned to look at the man or woman who brought them and who was standing there with a big smile on their face. The man or woman would then encourage everyone to go out and look them over after handing one of the eight ‘kids’ the keys, while they would stand near the house and watch the fun. When everyone finally returned to the house, the man or woman would then give one of the eight ‘kids’ another envelope, which contained the title to the new car. Each car had a free and clear title and it now belonged to one of the eight ‘kids’. While the families were looking over the new cars each man or woman made a call on their cell phone. And it wasn’t long after the titles were handed over that a horn honked from outside, signifying that their ride had arrived. Leaving each family with, “Please, enjoy your new car. If you have any problems look at the letter that came with the title.” And they were gone, just like that.

Then the phone calls started, spouse to spouse, parents to parents, everyone asking the same questions. And the answers were always the same. Their anonymous donor had to have known what type of cars the ‘kids’ drove in high school and while attending University. And must have known it was going to be a very uncomfortable three hour drive for all of the parents but those in the front seats in the ‘kids’ fully packed cars. Now, being able to seat nine, and with plenty of storage, it was going to be a very comfortable three hour drive to the ‘kids’ new apartments and University. It took a few hours for the excitement to die down, and when it did it was back to getting ready to leave on Monday.

They all had agreed to meet at their favorite coffee shop on Monday morning to have breakfast then head out, with each newlywed couple driving one of their cars and their parents deciding who’d drive the other four; the parents had booked tickets to fly home. Any younger siblings in the house would spend the day and a half with friends. Breakfast among the eight was usually very active, talking about this or that or about more ideas for their clinic. This morning everyone was very subdued, the parents saddened by the fact their ‘kids’ were now leaving home for good. Oh, they knew they’d come back for visits, or the parents would go for visits, and they would return when it was time to build their clinic. But that would be years down the road and the visits would only occur if their education permitted. They also knew Tameria and Tony would finish their education first because neither was going into the medical field; Tony would be studying medical administration as part of his education since he would be the administrator of the clinic. Even so, both wouldn’t be back until their spouses had completed all the training they’d need to strike out on their own.

There was no need to rush getting to the City where they’d live while attending the University, so they’d stop every hour or so, or when nature called. No one said it, but they all were trying to draw out being together as long as they could, it would be the last time for quite some time. And then they were there, actually driving by the University on their way to the apartments, three hours had passed as though it had been only an hour. The directions to the apartments were very explicit, and they had no trouble finding them or a place to park.

When they arrived at the apartment complex, it literally took their breath away. Here they thought they’d be living in a modest complex that might have seen a few years. But what they saw were manicured lawns, well kept shrubbery, brick buildings that could have been built yesterday, and it was all very clean. There were four apartments to a quad, built back to back and side to side. And as they would soon discover, after meeting with the apartment manager, they were going to have one of those quads all to themselves. They stopped counting quads at fifteen, but could see there were many more off in the distance. Once they came back down to earth, they set off to meet with the apartment manager, who would have them sign some papers and give them the keys to the apartments. And who would guide them to their apartments driving her golf cart. Someone continued counting as they followed the apartment manager because when they reached the apartments, some said, twenty-five total. The manager laughed and said, “Ah, nope. You missed a few, there’s thirty two quads.

Now came the real problem, who got what apartment? Two apartments faced east and two apartments faced west, with the east ones getting the morning sun and the west ones getting the evening sun. It was the sun that actually settled the problem because James and Tameria liked the morning sun along with Beckie and Sam. That left Grace and Jake, and Tara and Tony taking the two on the west side. But the surprises hadn’t stopped yet, as everyone found out as they unlocked the doors to their apartments. Kelly, Beckie’s mom, had noticed something funny with the apartment manager. Kelly saw the twinkle in the woman’s eyes and she had her hands covering her mouth. And maybe understood better when Beckie and Sam opened the door to their apartment and discovered...it had already been furnished. And just the way the ‘kids’ had talked about. And so had the other apartments, as those couples had discussed. Still in shock, they gathered back at their parked cars and gave the apartment manager a hard stare, as she broke out into a wide grin.

Mimi Jenkins just laughed at the looks on all the faces staring at her. “They said you’d react this way, because of what they did. And they were right, you have.”

Brian Jinks gave the woman a hard stare and asked, “They who?”

And if finding their apartments fully furnished wasn’t shocking enough, they received an even bigger one when they heard in their minds, “Why The Haints, silly boy. Who else would know exactly what the newlyweds had planned for their apartments, other than their parents, that is. And in case you’re wondering, the letter you all received about all costs for the apartments being taken care of, applies to the furnishing as well. I hope you eight ‘kids’ enjoy your time here, and if you need me you know who to place the call with, right?” Still laughing, Mimi got back in her golf cart and drove back to her apartment, leaving twenty-four dumbfounded people watching her drive off. When everyone collected their jaws off the asphalt parking lot, as a group they “this I gotta see” into all four apartments. And they were shocked by what they saw.

Each apartment had a separate living room, dining room, and kitchen, none of the combining all three as some do. There were two spacious bedrooms, both with large walk-in closets, and about twice the size of each couples’ bedroom back home; one even having an en suite bathroom. The other bathroom, likely for guests, and just off the hallway to the bedrooms, was the size of the couples’ bedrooms at home, with both a separate tub and shower, two sinks, and a privacy wall for the toilet. It also had a real roomy linen closet that seemed designed to service both bathrooms. When they went into the kitchen they saw it had state of the art appliances, with a two sink bowl and a touch sensitivity faucet. Just off the kitchen was a smaller room where they found a washer and dryer, again state of the art. And when they opened another door they found a large pantry, completely stocked.

When they saw the stocked pantry, they began opening cabinet doors. The above cabinets held drinking glasses, plates, saucers, spices, snacks, and more canned goods. The lower cabinets held all of the pots and pans, baking sheets, muffin tins, pizza platters, cutting boards, and every handheld appliance they would need. There was even a meat grinder, bread maker, and waffle maker. And in one lower cabinet, and one upper cabinet, they found just about every kind of storage container that was made, so leftovers, or anything else, could be saved. And opening the drawers they found silverware, knives, cooking and baking utensils, and a slew of other things commonly stuffed into any kitchen drawer. They looked at each other before opening each fridge, only to find, when they did, a fully stocked fridge. There was milk, eggs, butter, sodas, water, and again, a slew of other things the couples would want and use. And it was like this with each apartment, only tailored to each couples’ tastes. After looking at the last apartment, they really had to sit down. They were so shocked by all they’d seen. And it didn’t help when they heard Mimi laughing in their minds.

Once the shock had worn off, and everyone had something to drink, they started unloading all of the eight cars. And with twenty-four people it didn’t take long, or in putting everything away. Once the cars were unloaded, and everything was put away, they decided to go out and find something for lunch. And as they were looking up places on their smartphones, Mimi thought told them a good place to get a really fine meal. This time it was the twenty-four who were laughing, since they should have asked Mimi in the first place.

After lunch the parents of each couple stayed with that couple, trying to spend as much time with them as they could before it would be supper time and time for the parents to check into the hotel they’d use for the night; their flight left at 10 a.m. the following morning. Because the hotel had a restaurant, it was decided to have one last meal there so the ‘kids’ wouldn’t have to make a special trip to take them to the hotel before going back to their apartments. The parents had planned to use the hotel services to take them to the airport in the morning, but the ‘kids’ put their feet down and said they’d pick them up at 7 a.m. Saying goodnight brought more tears, but parting was necessary since everyone was tired and needed their sleep. Or so everyone thought until every couple was alone. It would have paid to be a fly on the wall that night.

The ‘kids’ knew their parents well enough to know they all would be in the restaurant shortly after opening at 6 a.m., so they’d planned to arrive at the hotel right at 6 a.m. As the ‘kids’ walked into the hotel their parents were at the front desk checking out. None of the parents noticed the ‘kids’ until they all cleared their throats at the same time, then gave their parents a big smile as the parents turned to see who had made all the noise. Once the parents had completed checking out, the group walked into the restaurant together, and were asked if they’d prefer the buffet or order off the menu. Because everything on the buffet looked good they all chose the buffet, and then were shown to four tables that had place settings for six.

And then it was time to get their parents to the airport so they could get through security and catch their 10 a.m. flight. This time each one of the ‘kids’ had driven their new car so they could spend a little more time with their parents before leaving them at the airport. It was a tearful time as they reached the airport, parked in the short term parking and before they even walked into the terminal. And more so when they had to leave their parents at the security checkpoint, everyone knowing it would be some time before they’d see each other again. As their parents disappeared on the other side of the checkpoint, the ‘kids’ returned to their apartments, where the girls showed that they needed comforting in a way only their husbands could provide.

Comforting their ladies lasted until mid afternoon, when exhaustion overcame everyone and they all fell asleep. It wasn’t until about three hours later that everyone stirred, and when finally awake, contacted each other to find out what to do for dinner. Because they had pleasantly missed lunch everyone was hungry, so it was decided to go out for dinner, stopping to ask Mimi for directions to a nice restaurant. They didn’t know it, but Mimi heard their plans and was prepared to guide them to a very nice restaurant, and give them a meal on her dime. The eight also decided to meet at Tameria and Sam’s apartment in an hour and a half, but had to change the time once each couple started showering together. That experience was one they would repeat as often as they could throughout their marriages.

Two and a half hours later, Tameria was knocking on Mimi’s apartment door. When Mimi answered Tameria told her they were going out to dinner, and could she recommend a nice restaurant. Mimi told her, “just a minute,” and went back into her apartment and acted like she was drawing a map to one she liked; the map was already drawn, but Mimi didn’t want to give that fact away. Mimi came back and took a few moments to explain the streets and locations to Tameria, before Tameria thanked her and Mimi wished them a good evening, as she knew it would be.

Mimi’s directions were easy to follow, and in no time they arrived at the restaurant. When they entered the restaurant the waitress asked if they had a reservation, and their names. The ‘kids’ answered no, but when the waitress looked up their names, she saw a table reserved for eight under all four of their last names. The waitress picked up eight menus and asked the eight stunned young people to follow her, “please.” As she sat them at their reserved table, she asked what they’d like to drink, getting “ice tea” from all eight. After the waitress left, they looked at their menus but were actually thought talking, trying to find out which of them made the reservations. But when everyone said, “It wasn’t me,” they reasoned it might have been their anonymous donor, since he or she seemed to know them better then they knew themselves. When their server arrived with their drinks, she asked what everyone was having, getting a resounding, “the fish platter.” That meal came with a salad, with their choice of dressing, shrimp, scallops, lobster, mahi mahi, hush puppies, coleslaw, potato salad, and a roll. And when their server returned some time later, to ask about dessert, every plate had been cleaned and they each asked for the chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. And they never heard Mimi chuckle. She was going to make sure the ‘kids’ had everything they needed while they were here, and then some; the then some also applied to their clinic.

As they enjoyed another refill of their tea, they started talking about what they would do with their time until the first week of July arrived and the fall classes started. They were under no delusions that this next step towards their clinic was going to be a walk in the park, so decided to visit the University’s office in the morning and find out what they’d need that allowed them to park on campus and to be on campus. They also decided to visit the bookstore and see if any books for their classes were in and if so, they’d buy what they’d need to get a jump start on their classes.

Their server came back after seeing they’d finished their dessert and asked if they’d like anything else. When the eight answered no thank you, it was very filling, their server laid a black folder on their table. Having seen this type folder before, they knew it was their bill for the meal, and all the guys took out their wallets to chip in for the meal, and leave a tip. But when Jake opened the folder, all he saw was a message that read, “Have a good evening. Your bill has been taken care of, including a tip.” Jake just sat there rereading the message, until Grace took it out of his hands. And in turn it was taken out of Grace’s hand and so on until all eight had read the message. The reason they were all taken aback was because at the bottom of the slip of paper was the signature of ‘Your anonymous donor’. Again the ‘kids’ didn’t hear Mimi chuckle, and was glad they’d enjoyed their meals. Even the staff of the restaurant enjoyed the ‘kids’ reactions, and did hear Mimi’s chuckle.

It was brought up they should drive around the City to take in the sights. But it was also brought up that they’d had a long day and if they were to get an early start in the morning, they needed to get some sleep. They bid each other good night after they returned to their apartments, but it was some time before they finally fell into a deep, restful, sleep.

Their planned early start was delayed a bit, since their showers lasted a lot longer than they had in the past. Each couple had their first breakfast in their new apartment, before cleaning up, getting dressed, and this time, taking Beckie and Sam’s car. Once they arrived at the University they had no trouble finding the visitors parking lot. The guard on duty asked why they were there, and gave them a temporary parking pass and a map of the campus. He was even kind enough to show Sam where the administration building was on the map. They found a place to park, got out of the car, got their bearings and started the rather long walk to the administration building. And the surprises kept coming.

After walking into the administration building they explained why they were there to the young man sitting at the reception desk. He gave them directions to the room they were looking for and they proceeded to that room. When they reached the room it reminded them of the DMV, with a line of windows, signs over each window, and a lot of chairs. This morning it was mostly vacant, so they simply walked up to one of the windows and again explained why they were there. The woman behind the counter asked for their names, entering them into the computer sitting in front of her. When the information came back to her, she reached under the counter and took out several sheets of paper, handing several to each of the eight. They were instructed to fill them out and then bring them back up to her, not forgetting to sign each one at the bottom. As she watched the eight take eight seats and begin filling out the papers, she smiled to herself as she was finally meeting the eight ‘kids’ who had done so much for their high school and others. She too heard Mimi chuckle at the woman’s thoughts. And she smiled even more.

When they’d finished filling out the papers they took them back up to the woman, who looked all of them over before giving them eight parking stickers, and having them step over to a wall to have their pictures taken. Ten minutes later she handed each of them their id cards, each attached to a lanyard, and told them they must be worn at all times they are on campus. She even handed them a map of all the parking lots they were allowed to use, and suggested they might want to arrive early or they might have quite a walk ahead of them. They thanked her and she told them, “You’re welcome. And enjoy your time here.” It wouldn’t hit them until years later, but the woman’s parting statement was very similar to what Mimi said to them.

Pulling the campus map out of his pocket, Sam found where the bookstore was located on the map, and saw it was in the basement of the Student Union, a short walk from the administration building. Once they reached the Student Union, they decided to get something to drink and to snack on before heading into bowels of the earth. They were wearing the ids so had no trouble paying for what they had chosen. They sat and talked, and gawked at what they saw in the Student Union and what they’d seen so far. Once finished they follow the signs to the basement and the bookstore, where they found all the books they’d need were in stock. And even what those going to medical school would also need in addition to their books.

They all had their class schedules with them, and the books, and items required, and after seeing the number of books each would have to buy, they chose to also buy wheeled totes so they wouldn’t have to lug all the books, and miscellaneous items, to the car. They also gather notepads, pencils, pens, paperclips, and several other things, including a backpack. After deciding they’d chosen enough for one day they took everything to the register. They were told to run their ids past the scanner to tally up their bills, but they weren’t expecting what the clerk said next.

“Um...you all do know that each of you are entitled to a laptop computer, right? Here, let me show you which ones.” Eight stunned ‘kids’ numbly followed the clerk to the electronics section. They each figured it’d be a basic laptop but were again shocked when the clerk walked past all the basic ones and stopped in front of their high end laptops. The ones with every bell and whistle that could be packed into a laptop. Each taking one of the boxed laptops, they followed the clerk back to the register. They were each told to rescan their ids, so the laptops could be added, and instead of being told the amount they owed, each were given a receipt that listed the date and time, all the items they’d purchased, and PAID IN FULL at the bottom under the Total Amount. They knew their books and other items would be paid by their anonymous donor, but a high end laptop? That they hadn’t expected. And Mimi was laughing her head off at the ‘kids’ reactions to getting the laptops. The clerk had to work hard to hide her smirk at seeing their reactions. They deserved what they’d earned.

They loaded their books, the laptops, and the sacks of other things they’d chosen, into the totes and wheeled everything out to the car. Since it was close to noon they talked about where to eat. James said that while they were in the Student Union he smelled something that made his mouth water, so they decided to give the Student Union a try since they would be eating there often enough. James’ nose led them to the meatloaf, to which they added mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, a huge roll, cake for dessert, and ice tea to wash it all down. And it all was fantastic. None of them would have any problem eating there if all the food was as delicious.

Once they finished eating they did take the time to tour the City, noting places of interest they might want to visit, and getting a general feel for the layout of the City. They also noted where shopping malls were located and some of the location of some of the stores that were familiar to them. When they decided to head home, strange to them calling their new apartments home, Tara and Tony asked if they all would like to come over for a pizza dinner and to watch a movie. They loved the idea of the pizza but gave both Tara and Tony a strange look when they mentioned a movie. They each had a 48 inch led TV in their apartments, but the other couples hadn’t taken the time to turn them on. It seemed, according to Tara, each apartment had both cable and the internet. Plus, she said, in a cabinet above the washer and dryers was a Wi-Fi modem still in its box. Everyone but Tara and Tony shook their heads, with Tameria asking, “What else are we going to find or receive?” Because they’d done the pizza ‘thing’ before, Tony knew what everyone wanted. And as Sam drove them back to their apartments, Tony looked up a pizza parlor on his smartphone, dialed the number and ordered the pizzas. They enjoyed each other’s company with the pizzas and the movie, but had an even better time once they all went to bed.

The eight ‘kids’ wasted no time getting ready for their classes, with most of the next day spent reading their textbooks and taking notes as they read. When they’d had enough for one day one of the couples would fix dinner for them all before they’d decided what to do for the evening. Once or twice a week they’d go to a movie, or to a play a local theatrical group was presenting. Or they’d take in other entainments the City had to offer. They had to take advantage of these times, because when the first week of July arrived, the medical students in the group wouldn’t have time for very many outings. And when July did arrive, the medical students of the group had plowed through all of their textbooks, had made copious notes, even grilling each other about the human anatomy just to refresh their memories. All five felt more than ready.

Because Tony, Tara, and Tameria had several weeks until their classes started, the three decided to make breakfast for everyone, with Tameria making part of it, Tony another part, and Tara the third part. They’d switched taking it to her or his apartment each week, so no one would be a constant host. Plus, like mothers who kiss their children goodbye before sending them off to school, once everyone was out the door they’d help each other clean up. And when the first Monday in July arrived, they were ready, and had a good breakfast ready for everyone. And they did kiss their children goodbye as they went out the door to school.

As Beckie, Sam, Jake, Grace, and James arrived at the University they were glad they’d taken the advice of the to arrive early to find a place to park, the lot they were in was filling up fast. It may have been fate, or something else entirely, but they all had the exact same schedule for the exact same class in the exact same rooms, so they were going to switch off each week who would drive, saving the need to find five separate parking spaces. They’d parked as close as they could to the medical school, and the large lecture hall where they were headed first thing this morning for orientation. They’d read the dress requirements while attending medical school and made sure they had everything so they wouldn’t become “that student who forgot” on their first day. And after the hour long orientation, things got down to business, serious medical business, that would keep them busy for the next several years. But they had a goal, a single minded goal they’d held onto since their freshman year in high school. And they were not about to give up now, no matter how hard things got. They WERE going to have that clinic, come hell or high water.

Tony, Tara, and Tameria didn’t let grass grow under their feet either, as the three drove together to the University to visit the library. Because Tameria would be working towards her Masters degree in Psychology, Tony his Masters in Business Administration (MBA), and Tara a Masters in Physical Therapy, they all knew a thesis would be required for their final act in getting their Masters. Even though the three knew they’d have to approach their advisors about the subject of their thesis, they wanted to research their ideas to see if there was enough material available to make it worth trying to persuade their advisors that their ideas were valid topics.

When they broke for lunch at the Student Union they met up with their other halves, and regaled the five with their morning escapades. Tameria, Tony, and Tara then went on to compare notes on finding enough material to use for their thesis.

Tony just chuckled and told Tameria, “I have six pages of notes on reference material and there’s a lot more.” Tameria just nodded her head and said, “Yeah, I know what you mean. I’ve got five pages and I didn’t even get through all the references on the page I was looking at.” When it was Tata’s turn, she said, “I have six pages of notes, and will run out of paper if I write down every reference I found.” And they were going to spend another two hours at the library before they headed home. What they’d found in the morning, and what they’d yet to find, gave them confidence to believe they could convince their advisors to let them use their ideas for their thesis. And if they couldn’t be convincing enough, they had other ideas they’d run with.

When the three returned to their apartments, it was like ballet. They each booted their laptops with the intent to write a synopsis of their ideas, then write out a preliminary outline. They wanted to have all the ammunition they could when presenting their ideas for their thesis. But when the screens on the laptops finally brought up a display, they all saw, “Please place your left thumb on the scanning pad located at the bottom left of the keyboard.” And when they did that, they saw, ”We are The Haints. We are the guardians of this laptop. Only those we recognize may access this laptop.” Three jaws dropped to the floor, and when they told the others what they’d discovered, five more would be there as well.

At 4 p.m. they got together to decide what to fix everyone for dinner, which would become standard practice until they started classes in the fall. At that time each couple would have to take responsibility for their own meals, since all eight would be going to class. This became the routine throughout the four years Beckie, Jake, Grace, Sam, and James were in medical school, while Tony worked towards his MBA, Tara her Masters in Physical Therapy, and Tameria her Masters in Psychology. And three years later, Tony towards his DHA (Doctor Healthcare Administration), Tameria her PhD in Psychology, and Tara her PhD in Physical Therapy. Even their preplanning paid off, as they had enough ammunition each time to persuade their advisors to allow them to use their ideas for their theses and dissertations.

As each school year ended all eight would drive home to spend a week with their families, since they wanted to use the rest of the time before classes started to get prepared. They’d spend two and a half days with one side of the family then two and a half days with the other side, before leaving Saturday to drive home.

But they got to see all the parents when Tameria, Tony, and Tara first completed their Masters program and attended Commencement to receive their degrees and the honors they’d earned. Then when Jake, Beckie, James, Grace, and Sam graduated medical school. And again when Tameria, and Tara received their PhD’s and Tony his DHA. It was a wild time when all these events occurred, especially when Beckie, Jake, Grace, James, and Sam learned where they would do their residency.

Everything changed again after Tameria received her PhD, Tony his DHA, and Tara her PhD, as word of the excellent work they’d done in school got around. One day as they each opened their mail boxes they found them jam packed with letters, letters from various healthcare businesses in the City for internships. Tony had one from just about every hospital and healthcare clinic in the City. Tameria had one from every private practice, every healthcare clinic, and even the hospitals in the City. And Tara had one from every hospital, rehab center and healthcare clinic in the City. They all looked at each other, laughed, and just shook their heads. They had a lot of research to do before saying ‘yes’ to anyone. And they didn’t hear Mimi chuckle.

After doing a lot of research, both financial and legal, they narrowed their choices down to five each; the others received letters of appreciation at being considered for the position, but they wanted to go in a different direction. They each phoned their five choices and asked to be scheduled to speak with the head of each facility, in order to see if the facility was a fit for them and they for the facility; they actually wanted The Haints to guide them in their choices and would have them do the evaluating. During four of the meetings, The Haints actually warned the three to reject that choice before heading off to make some corrections of their own. When it came to their fifth choice, The Haints gave their approval and Tameria, Tony, and Tara asked when they could start; Tameria went with a private practice, while Tara and Tony went with one of the hospitals in the City.

While Tameria, Tara, and Tony were working towards their Masters then their PhDs and DHA, the medical students of the group had completed medical school and entered into their residencies. Again fate, or something else, intervened and the six found themselves assigned to the hospitals there in the City; someone or something wanted everyone to stay together. It was at this time they learned the real meaning of their chosen field, as they were taught not only how to diagnose and treat what was found wrong with each patient, but also how to treat each patient as a person, and with the respect due that person. They also learned what it was like to go without sleep.

They also ran up against some doctors who only saw a patient as an ailment, and considered them as such. These doctors were super arrogant, having the ‘god’ like attitude some have been known to have. And when objections were raised about the lack of respect for the patient, the one raising the objection was threatened by that doctor with expulsion from the hospital and medical program. It was rather strange that not long after that threat was made, that doctor had a complete change of personality and attitude about each patient. Several nurses had that same situation happen to them as well.

It is best to note that some of the medical students the five started medical school with never made it past the first year, or the first major exam. Five students decided their time away from home was party time, and spent most of their time partying instead of studying. When the first major exam approached, they realized they weren’t prepared and decided to take a shortcut by breaking into the offices of their professor. Unfortunately for them, this was not the first time this had happened and the Medical School, along with the professor, had installed a silent alarm system in that office that would signal Security in case of a breakin. Imagine their surprise when as they left the professor’s office they ran right into the arms of Campus Security, and the local police. Of course the five were kicked out of school, and faced criminal charges. And to her credit, because the five had no criminal record the Judge gave them three years of probation. And a warning that if they violated their probation they would spend the time behind bars.

The five started making names for themselves the first day of their residency. Of all those in residence, they caught on the quickest, were not hesitant in applying what they’d learned in Medical School, and became each patient’s favorite doctor. They did have some help when it came to diagnosing an aliment and could recall the treatment from memory, but treating each patient as a person and with respect, came from their own parents’ teachings and how they’d been treated in the past.

Three years into their residency the five were called before the hospital board of review to be evaluated, a standard procedure with new doctors. The board was made up of the Chief Physician and the head of each department the five had worked under. And no one had any negative things to say about all five of the ‘kids’. In fact, the board gave the five the go ahead to pursue their specialities, something that wasn’t usually done for several more years. Beckie would then begin Psychiatry, James Pediatrics, Sam Radiology, Jake Geriatrics, and Grace General Practice. And they were told to report to the individual department heads in the morning at 8 a.m. The time of very little sleep was finally coming to an end, they hoped.

Meeting their department head entailed an interview where their past grades, honors, and current reviews were looked at by the department head. Not many in the hospitals knew of the eight ‘kids’ plans to open their own clinic, and it came as a big surprise to the department heads when each of the five were asked about their future plans. It was an even bigger surprise when the department head learned there were not five but eight in the group who had held the goal of opening up their own medical clinic since their freshman year of high school. Some of the department heads did receive a shock when several of the ‘kids’ were told The Haints wanted to meet that person. And yes, they reacted much like everyone had in the past.


*-*-*Chapter 25*-*-*

Five more years pass, and it is now more than twenty years after their freshman year in high school, when they receive a message from The Haints. It wasn’t a long message, but the eight knew exactly what it meant. ”We are The Haints. It is time.” Again it may have been fate or something, or someone else, but it so happened each of the eight had two weeks off at the same time, officially starting the following Monday. But since they now had the weekends free, for them, that two weeks would start Saturday. They each pulled out their cell phones and called their parents, telling them they’d be home Saturday morning and would be there for the next two weeks. And as they had been told, so they told their parents, “It’s time.” That night they asked their personal operator to put them through to Mimi and asked her if she’d like to come to dinner, they wanted to talk with her and tell her their plans for the next two weeks. When their operator cut the connection, Mimi just chuckled, since she knew what they wanted to talk about and what they’d be doing for the next two weeks. Her friends had already told her.

They had decided to meet at Tameria and James’ apartment for a potluck dinner. Each couple arrived a little before 6 p.m. with a side dish and a meat dish, Tony brought everything they’d put together for their clinic. Shortly after 6 p.m. there was a knock on the door and when James opened it he found Mimi standing there holding a bowl of what she considered the best potato salad ever made. Almost as one they all yelled, “Come on in Mimi, make yourself at home.” Mimi found that being around these eight young people made her feel young again, even though she was actually three times their ages and part of The Family. Because everything had been put on the kitchen counters, the meal became a serve yourself meal. After everyone had made up a plate, grabbed a drink and sat down, the questions Mimi had expected began.

With a mouth full of food, and her boldness flying high, Tara asked, “So, Mimi, how did you meet The Haints?” And when the other seven gave her ‘the look’, all she said was, “WHAT?” Mimi broke out into a fit of laughter because of the reaction of the seven over Tara’s question, and her response. She could see the bond they each had, almost as deep as for their spouses. When Mimi stopped laughing, she apologized and began to tell her story.

Patiently, the eight ‘kids’ waited as they watched Mimi think back to the time when she was introduced to The Haints. “Well, there was this married couple who came to attend the University in the fall four years ago, and since most of my units are filled with University students during school, I had several vacancies. It must have been three weeks after they arrived that they invited me over for dinner, much like you all did tonight. And after we finished dinner they started asking me some rather strange questions, questions that almost made me walk out right then and there. I thought for sure they were some religious nuts who were going to try and get me to join their church. I don’t know quite why, but I didn’t leave, I stayed and thought about those questions. And when I said ‘Yes’ to them all the woman said was, “Take my hand.” And boy, let me tell you, that was a big shock when they first spoke. I even accused one of them of being a ventriloquist, something they said most accused them of when meeting their friends for the first time. They both asked me to trust them, and I did, and the rest, as you eight know, is history. And gawd was I upset when they showed me what happened to their planet, I so wanted to go there and kick some ass. But how can you go somewhere that doesn’t exist anymore?” Mimi bringing up what happened to the planet caused not only Mimi but the eight to have something in their eyes. Something that had to be wiped off their cheeks.

After they’d finished eating all they wanted, they each grabbed a piece of the chocolate cake Grace had brought for dessert. As they were eating Tony asked, “Mimi, would you like to see what we have planned?” The eight watched as Mimi shoved the last big bite of cake into her mouth and could only answer by nodding her head. This comical action elicited laughter from the ‘kids’ and Tony got up, put his plate on the kitchen counter before pulling out the portfolio folder that contained all of their plans and drawings. Everyone gathered around the dining room table, after putting their plates on the kitchen counter, as Tony started removing everything from the folder. He started by showing Mimi the interior and exterior drawings and explained the reasons for this and that. Then he started explaining the blueprint to Mimi, going through it slowly page by page. And when he finished, all Mimi said was, “Damn, you kids sure know what you want to do with your lives. And all this proves it.”

They then told Mimi they were going home for two weeks to get the construction of their clinic started, and to be with their families. Little did the ‘kids’ know that Mimi was thinking to herself, ‘I see now how wise a decision I made when I heard about these kids. These kids are going to be extremely successful and that City will be extremely grateful’.

It was close to 9 p.m. when their party broke up, and as Mimi was about to leave the apartment, she stopped, turned, and asked one last question. “I’ve seen how carefully you’ve planned for this clinic of yours. But nowhere have I seen what you plan on naming your clinic. Any thoughts on that?” She chuckled to herself as that realization showed on each of the eight ‘kids’ faces. Jokingly James said, “How about, ‘Our Medical Clinic’? Because after all, it will be our clinic, the one we’ve planned for since high school.” Mimi covered her mouth with a hand, hiding the smile that wanted to escape. As she watched, James’ idea circulated from one ‘kid’ to another, until heads started nodding and they gave James a big smile, telling him, “What a marvelous idea, James.” Then they saw the big smile on Mimi’s face, as she told them, “See, that wasn’t so hard, was it?” She waved as she turned and left the apartment, heading back to her own apartment.

As she drove her golf cart back to her apartment, she held a silent conversation, asking what else they would need over the coming months and years. She was told what was needed immediately, and suggestions made for the coming months. But not even they could guess everything that would be needed over the coming years. They would have to watch and see what needs arose.

The others helped Tameria and James clean up before going to their apartments. Because they were leaving Saturday to go back home, tomorrow, Friday, was going to seem like a very long day. The excitement of spending two weeks with their families, and getting their clinic started, must have excited everyone in another way, since no one finally fell asleep for another two hours.

And Friday did drag by, with the eight making sure their patients and work product would be taken care of for the next two weeks. When they all got home that night, they were too keyed up to cook, and called the restaurant Mimi had sent them to their first night in the City. Because they had been putting most of their earnings into an account for their clinic, they shied away from high end restaurants and entertainment. So they had no way to know that the restaurant they called usually had a three week waiting list. And when the person answering their call heard the names given, she immediately told them they had a table open and would reserve it for the eight ‘kids’. Little did they know that that restaurant always had at least one table open for special occasions and special people like these ‘kids’. If pressed, the owner would say how they always kept a table open for the eight ‘kids’.

Once again the staff at the restaurant made their visit a pleasant one, offering their congratulations to the ‘kids’ for accomplishing part of their goals. And as before, it was the fish platter, but with a few bits added because it was for the ‘kids’. All eight knew they had packing to do for a two week stay at home, so decided to make it a short night together. Before leaving the restaurant they decided what time they’d leave and talked about going to the little cafe they liked for breakfast. The subject of whose parent’s house they’d stay at was brought up, but the guys did their best to brush it off since they’d already made plans to stay at their in-laws for the first week; the girls knew nothing of the calls the boys had made to their parents and their in-laws, telling each that the girls were really missing their parents. And if it was okay with each boys’ parents, they’d spend the first week with the in-laws.

Because everyone was excited to see their parents, the three hour drive seemed to drag on. Even making the stops for breaks seemed to take forever. But around midday each couple pulled into the driveway of their in-law’s homes, with each husband just standing back and letting their wives have the spotlight as each girl ran to her parents when both came out to greet the ‘kids’. And each husband received a mouthed, “Thank you” as the parents hugged their daughters. When the fathers-in-law shook hands with their sons-in-law a whispered, “You did good” was heard from each father-in-law. And when the husbands gave their mothers-in-law a hug each mom simply whispered, “Thank you” in their ears. Something else happened when the ‘kids’ brought their luggage into the houses, the sons-in-law’s parents magically appeared from the kitchen, as planned. Anyone witnessing the reunions wouldn’t have a dry eye either. And who said men don’t cry?

As they all sat down to eat the secretly planned big meal, each couple filled both sets of parents in on their exploits of the last few months. They even told them how much help Mimi had been. With the meal and dessert over with, and after cleaning up and putting away the leftovers, every household went to the living rooms and began discussing the clinic. Because like all four couples, the parents also got a message from Them about, “It’s time.” As the afternoon wore on it became apparent all four couples were tired, and it was suggested they go ahead and get some rest before dinner. The four girls took the hand of the four boys, and led them to their old bedrooms, all eight chuckling a bit because it would be the first time they’d sleep with their wives under the parent’s roofs. Two and a half hours later, each couple was gently woken and told dinner would be in about an hour, but never mentioned where. That was another secret planned by all sixteen parents.

At precisely 6 p.m. the fathers told the sons/sons-in-law, “You drive, we’ll guide,” and that household piled into each couple’s car. Ten minutes later four cars gorged twenty-four people, plus some, onto the parking lot at everyone’s favorite BBQ restaurant, a place the four couples knew well. Somehow news of the eight returning, and why, had started circulation around the City, and after the ‘kids’ had entered the restaurant those of the staff and customers who knew the eight, stood up and gave them a standing ovation. Embarrassing the hell out of all eight. The group was led back to one of the banquet rooms, drink orders were taken, and menus passed out. When the waitresses returned with their drinks everyone had decided what they’d have. All around the table each person said, “rib plate.” This was an all you could eat meal, with baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, and hushpuppies. After the waitresses took the orders, conversation once again turned to the clinic, until three men entered the room, causing everyone to become quiet. It didn’t take the doctors in the room long to recognize the three as part of the five who had been kicked out of the University for breaking into the professor’s office.

“Oh, lookie there, Bobby,” the man on the left said, slurring his words. “Lookie at the five goody-two-shoes sittin’ here without a care in the world.” The man on the right then said, “Yeah, I see ‘em and still don’t like ‘em,” slurring his words as well. The man in the middle, George, then said, also slurring his words, “So, maybe we should fix them so’s they aren’t so goody and two shoes anymore.”

“Who are these three drunken fools,” Tara’s mother, Stevie Still, asked. It was easy to see where Tara got her bluntness.

Beckie answered by saying, “These three drunken fools are three of the five who were kicked out of the medical program and out of the University for breaking into our Anatomy professor’s office. Seems these three, and the other two, thought time away from home was just for parting, and when our big test came for our Anatomy class, the five weren’t ready. They thought they’d get the answers from the professor’s office, but got more than they bargained for that night.”

“Shut up, bitch. We’ll take care of you in a minute,” the man on the right said as he pulled a large knife from behind his back. Just before the man on the left did the same.

The man in the middle, George, also pulled out a large knife before he said, “See, if the five of you had just come to our parties, and let us have the girls for the night, and helped us in class, none of what’s about to happen had to happen. Now if you gentleman don’t want anything to happen to the ladies you won’t do anything stupid. We’ll take the girls for a while, and then you can have them back, but maybe a bit worse for wear.”

The laughter started with Jake then spread around the table until everyone but the three stooges were laughing. “WHAT’S SO FUCKING FUNNY?,” George shouted and the laughter increased. When the laughter died down, Tameria calmly explained it to the men using words they’d understand.

Smiling sweetly, Tameria said, “Boys, you are so drunk on your asses you couldn’t get it up if you used popsicle sticks for supports. And if you got it up, us girls would have to spend an hour just trying to find it. You bozos got yourselves in trouble at the University, no one else. You were the ones who wanted to party instead of study, and no one forced you too. So before you experience something you never dreamed of, leave, go home, sleep it off, and think about how stupid you’ve been tonight.” It was James who started, but everyone joined in when he said, “Bravo, encore encore.” And he started applauding. Tameria hammed it up and said, “Thank you, thank you, my dear fans.”

Everyone in the group watched as the three men went through every shade of red in a split second. It was the man on the left who growled, “None of you will think it’s so funny when we get through with all of you.” And all three took one step forward before they all froze in place, still holding the knives. The only thing they could do was see, hear, and breathe. Tameria calmly got up out of her chair and walked over to the three men until she was standing two steps in front of them.

Tameria tisked a few times before telling the men, “Guess you three didn’t learn anything from your rather short University experience. Guess you’re still little boys thinking you’re all grown up and trying to act like grown-ups. Guess one experience with the police wasn’t enough for you boys, was it? Oh, we’ll call them after our friends have a little talk with you three. And it’s a talk you will remember but won’t be able to talk about. I sure hope you learn something from some of the things they show you, because if you don’t, you may not live through next time.”

As Tameria calmly walked back to her chair and sat down, as The Haints started in on the three men. It wasn’t hard for everyone in the group to see the utter fear etched on the men’s faces. Or the horror when they were shown what real aggression can do and has done. While the men were having their session Tony’s dad slipped out of the room, contacted the restaurant owner, explained what was taking place in the banquet room and suggested she call the police. When he returned to the banquet room, he could see by their faces the men were just starting to watch as an entire planet exploded, caused by a bunch of fools who believed everyone should believe as they did.

When the police officers arrived at the restaurant, the owner showed them to the banquet room, where the six officers entered the room with their guns drawn. One of the officers yelled, “DROP THE KNIVES AND DON’T MOVE.” The officers didn’t know the three men couldn’t drop their knives voluntarily because they couldn’t move. But with a bit of internal control the hands holding the knives opened and the knives fell to the floor. Each man was then handcuffed and taken out of the restaurant, offering no resistance to the officers.

Three of the officers stayed behind to take everyone’s statement, until they realized everyone’s statement was going to be the same. So they took one statement and took everyone’s name instead. While the three men didn’t actually do anything to anyone in the room, they were still going to be charged because of being drunk and because of what the officers saw when they entered the room. Fortunately for the three their probation expired several years ago or they’d also be facing a charge of violating their probation. When the three police officers finally left, the owner of the restaurant came into the room and told the group all of their meals were ‘on the house’, it was the least she could do to try and make the rest of their time at the restaurant enjoyable, given what had just happened.

The five doctors took a little time to go into more detail about what occurred in their first year of medical school. They told everyone that the three men were part of a group of five who broke into the office of their professor, for the purpose of copying the big test they were having the next day. What the five didn’t know, and the five ‘kids’ learned later, was that the Medical School, and the professor, had installed a silent alarm system in the professor’s office because he’d had several break ins before. And when the five came out of the professor’s office, they walked right into the hands of campus Security and the police. The five were dropped from the medical program and kicked out of school, and they went before a Judge who gave them each three years probation because they all had a clean record up to that point.

After that information had been disseminated they got back to discussing the clinic, and the one thing the ‘kids’ were worried about. Land, the ten acres they wanted for their clinic. Land they’d looked at while in high school and from information they’d obtained, was still for sale because it was priced ridiculously high. Land that no one in the City would touch because of the asking price. When asked, they admitted they had several other parcels in mind, but the one they wanted was the perfect place for their clinic. And an ever wise and knowing Kelly said, “Oh don’t worry, kids. It will sort itself out in the wash.” After the nights’ activities, everyone had a second helping of everything.

When they all reached the parking lot, the eight exchanged hugs with each other, and then with each other’s parents, before wishing everyone a good night. No one realized how tired they were until they all returned home. That’s when everything of that day hit the eight ‘kids’ and the almost attack at the restaurant hit the parents. His parents said their good nights and everyone in her house said their good nights, and it wasn’t long before the only thing stirring in the houses were the fridges. A device which did a very good job keeping things cold.

Sunday was a day of rest, and no one got up before 9, or 10, or 11 in the morning. They actually ended up having brunch. As they ate brunch, the discussions became serious, with the parents asking how they were doing in their marriages. The couples were brutally honest in telling their parents about the ups and downs, nothing different than they saw in their parents marriages. But, they were still deeply in love with each other and had decided the little things weren’t worth getting upset over. After brunch was over, and everything cleaned up, calls were made and it was decided they all would go see a movie playing at a theater in one of the malls. The guys let the gals choose, and even though it was a love-ish type movie, later that night all the guys would appreciate their earlier decisions. And everyone slept like a log.

It was a good thing the young couples got a good night’s sleep, because they had a 10 a.m. meeting with Terry Cooper, one of the partners of the engineering firm they spoke with more than twenty years ago. Sam and Beckie had volunteered to drive everyone to their meeting, picking everyone up at 8:30 a.m. The couples were up at 6 a.m., got dressed, did their bathroom routines, and still had time to eat breakfast before Beckie and Sam arrived.

During the drive to that City not much was said, the ‘kids’ were too nervous. They did talk once and awhile, but it was mostly about nothing. No one wanted to ask, ‘what if we can’t get the land’, or ‘what if we can’t get the rest of the money we’ll need’. Even when reassured by their friends that everything would be alright, they still worried.

As they drove into that City they could see quite a lot had changed in over twenty years, including the parking lot they first used all those years ago. Now they had to pay to park there, but it was worth it since it was close to their destination. They got a surprise when they walked into the building and up to the reception desk, all the same faces were still there, just a bit older. The same receptionist who had called upstairs the first time, never acknowledged them as she picked up the phone, dialed a number and said, “They’re here.” She then told them, “You all know the way, it’s on the same floor, in the same office. And congratulations, and welcome back.”

When the elevator doors opened on the fifth floor, the ‘kids’ were again met by Paula, who hugged everyone before she turned to lead them to the small conference room. But before she took a step, the sharp doctors asked, “Is that a wedding ring on your left hand.” Paula turned back to the group, answered it is, and proceeded to tell them everything. She and her husband met while they were attending college, and married shortly after they graduated. They’ve been married eighteen years, have three children ages 10, 8, and 6, two girls and a boy. They held off having children until they both finished graduate school. And of course, everyone had to see pictures, and Paula did that after taking them to the small conference room.

Paula told them to sit where they wanted, and drinks were in the small fridge on the counter. She then said Terry would be free shortly and to just relax, everything would be fine. The ‘kids’ had been told more than this once to relax, everything would be fine, but they were still nervous. They were as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, with a little kid in each chair who loved to rock fast. Again, as some years before, it seemed to take forever, but the door opened and Terry and Paula came into the room. Handshakes wouldn’t do it for Terry, as everyone got a big hug and the girls a kiss on the cheek. The eight were so nervous they never noticed the cart at the back of the room, or if they did they didn’t know it was for them. While Terry was saying hello, Paula had gone and gotten the cart, pushing it up to the front of the room. Terry took a few minutes for small talk before they got down to why the ‘kids’ had come.

“As I told you ‘kids’ when you were here your sophomore year in high school, everything we discussed was put into our storage vault. The main structure of the building had not changed,” Terry told them as Paula uncovered only the model of their clinic. “But, ith the technical changes that have taken place over the last twenty some years, and the change in regulations, we had to also make sure your clinic would be up to code. So, as we did last time, for the past month our interns have been creating a brand new blueprint.” As Terry finished telling them about why changes were made, Paula activated the screen in front of them.

As Terry did all those years ago, he went through the new blueprints page by page, explaining how some things were upgraded to meet code or because of new technology that would save them money in the long run. When Terry was finished, Jake whistled and said “Wow, Paula, you interns did a wonderful job on those blueprints.”

Paula just laughed before saying, “I had nothing to do with redrawing the blueprints, and I’m not an intern anymore.”

The ‘kids’ noticed that Grace had that far away look on her face when she was thinking deep thoughts. She turned to Terry and in a far away voice asked, “Terry are the partners who were here our first time here still here?” And when Terry told her they are, she then looked at Paula and said, “Then you must be the Pepper on the firms’ plaque on the front of the building. You’re a partner!” Paula blushed a deep red and she told them she made partner five years after she received her postgraduate degree and starting working for the firm full time. She also told them that while she does some blueprint work, she is mainly in charge of all the interns, and oversees the work they do.

And Grace wasn’t finished yet, as she again had that far away look. “Um...Terry,” Grace said in a dreamy voice, “How did you know to upgrade everything so it’d be ready for us today?” Seven pairs of eyes turned from Grace to focus on Terry, who seemed to act as though he was a deer caught in a car’s headlights. Terry was confused and it showed.

Even Grace was looking at Terry now, as Terry looked each one in the eye before responding, “Well, two months ago They told us, ‘it’s time’, so we pulled everything out of storage, updated everything to be ready when you ‘kids’ arrived.” The ‘kids’ didn’t need to ask how he knew they’d be coming today, they already knew the answer to that question. “Oh, darn it,” Terry said so abruptly that it startled all eight ‘kids’. “Paula, in the top middle drawer of my desk is an envelope. Would you get it please?” Just after Paula left the room Terry asked, “Do any of you have any questions so far?”

The eight looked at each other and just by looking appointed Tony to ask the main question on their minds. “Terry, while we were in high school we found 10 acres that would be perfect for our clinic, but the asking price was ridiculous compared to other acreages of like size. Do you know if it’s still for sale and the asking price?”

The ‘kids’ saw the somber look on Terry’s face as he told them, “I remember which 10 acres you’re referring too, and you’re right, it would have been perfect for the clinic. Unfortunately the old buzzard who owned it died three years ago of a heart attack and left it to his daughters. Even when they dropped the asking price they had a terrible time selling it because of the reputation their father earned. But, and I’m sorry to say, it’s been sold to some anonymous purchaser.” As if Terry and Paula had rehearsed it, Paula entered the conference room carrying the envelope just as Terry told the eight ‘kids’ the fate of the property they’d wanted. And when she sat it in front of the eight ‘kids’, they noticed it was addressed to all eight of them. Grace reached out and pushed the envelope to Tony, who then pushed it to Tara, who then pushed it to Sam, who then pushed it to Tameria, who then pushed it to Jake, who then pushed it to James, who then pushed it to Beckie. Terry was amused as he watched the ‘kids’ play hot potato with the envelope. Paula, on the other hand, said, “Oh, good gawd,” and snatched the envelope off the table. She opened it and began reading out loud.

Dear ‘kids’,
By now you’ve probably asked Terry about that 10 acres you saw when you were in high school and still planning for your clinic. And Terry has told you that it was purchased by an anonymous buyer. ‘Kids’, that’s a shame. I’m so sorry to hear that. Along with this letter you’ll find a deed to the whole 10 acres, signed over to all eight of you ‘kids’. Naner naner naaaner.

Your anonymous donor

When Paula finished reading the letter she looked in the envelope again and pulled out another folded piece of paper. When she unfolded it, she saw it was an official deed to the entire 10 acres and signed over to the eight ‘kids’. Written out on that deed was the State, the County, the District, the Township, longitude and latitude, the physical location and the Notary’s seal. And somehow, who gave the land to the ‘kids was still unknown. At that precise moment the only thing anyone could hear was the slight hissing sound as the forced air was pushed out of the air ducts in the ceiling. Dumbfounded failed to describe how everyone looked after the deed was passed around the table. Shocked came closer, but still didn’t hit the mark. And Mimi was on the floor laughing her ass off. It was Terry who broke the silence with, “Um...well...I...um...guess I was wrong. You eight now own that 10 acres free and clear.”

When the ‘kids’ started, both Terry and Paula had to clamp their hands over their ears, the sound of eight ecstatic young adults was thunderous. They were so loud even the other three partners came rushing into the small conference room to see what was going on. And when they rushed into the conference room, all they could hear be chanted was, “We got the land,” over and over again. As loud as the ‘kids’ could shout. It took a bit of time to calm the ‘kids’ down, but when they were only bouncing in their seats, Terry suggested they all could use a break, before explaining everything to his three partners.

The ‘kids’ were still excited but way calmer as they came back into the small conference room. During this time Terry quoted the ‘kids’ the firm’s projected costs of building the clinic; it’s much less than if they had to buy land. He also told them that the firm had received another letter from Haints Investments, stating again that they would pick up ¾ th of the cost for building the clinic. So that left ⅛ th to be financed. He smiled when the ‘kids’ caught the ⅛ th fraction, and explained that their Anonymous Donor had also sent them a letter stating they’d cover half of the ¼ th left to finance. So the ‘kids’ only had to finance ⅛ th of the total cost of building their clinic. Terry just shook his head, seeing how some few people wanted to make sure that clinic was built. Terry then ran the numbers and came up with $2.5 million left to finance, the eight ‘kids’ share of the cost for the clinic.

Because everyone’s undergraduate and postgraduate expenses had been paid for, plus a handsome weekly allowance, and because of their earned reputations in their fields, they’d been able to set something aside each week for the day when it would be time to build their clinic. Tony pulled a notebook out of his case and told Terry, “Terry, over the years, actually since high school, we’ve set aside something each week for this very day. As it stands right now, we only need to finance $1.5 million of that $2.5 million.” It was the ‘kids’ turn to laugh as they watched Pauls and Terry’s jaws drop. As Terry and Paula watched, all eight heads were nodding ‘yes’ to the question on both Terry and Paula’s faces. They’d saved that much.

After Paula and Terry picked their jaws off the floor, Paula asked, “So, would you like us to do the work, handle everything or do you have someone else in mind? We’ve gone this far with you guys, we’d really like to go all the way and finish this project.”

All eight ‘kids’ flipped an imaginary coin, caught it in one hand, flipped it on the back of the other hand, removed their hands, looked at the imaginary coin and said, “Heads, looks like you guys win.” Now if the bank will let them borrow $1.5 million. Paula had slipped out of the room with the letters and deed to the land in order to make copies to send to Mary Cooper; the ‘kid’s knew her as Mary Gothers those many years ago. She called a courier service for a pickup and quick delivery, then put a copy of the blueprints, letters, and deed to the land in a folder. When the courier arrived Paula gave the girl the address, watched her leave, then returned to the small conference room, telling everyone there that copies of everything had been couriered to the bank. Terry told the eight ‘kids’ that if the bank approved the loan Mary would notify the firm and then a contract would be drawn up for the ‘kids’ to read, make any changes, and then sign. And once they submitted the plans to the City building inspection office for approval and building permits, construction on the clinic would begin. And he wanted the eight there when the first shovel went into the ground. They exchanged more pleasantries, even finding out Mary and Terry finally got married shortly after the ‘kids’ went off to college, before the eight said their goodbyes and left to see Mary once again.


*-*-*Chapter 26*-*-*

They drove the short distance to the bank from the firm’s building, this time being able to park the car without having to pay. As they entered the bank and started walking to the reception desk, they could see the same woman behind the desk as they saw years before, only years older. Even before any of the eight said anything the woman jumped up from her chair, came out from behind the desk and hugged all eight at the same time. Then her questions started until several bank employee’s cleared their throats, bringing her back down to earth, She then reached over the counter, dialed a number and said, “They’re here. Okay, right away,” and told the eight to follow her, almost as she did many years ago. Except this time they stayed on the ground floor.

When they reached an office Mary was standing in the doorway, and stepped out and hugged each of the eight before they entered her office. And the name change on her door didn’t go unnoticed either, Mary Cooper. “Oh, it’s so good to see you all again. I will confess I’ve been keeping track of you all, and am very impressed with your accomplishments. I even heard what happened at the restaurant, what a shameful way to act. But, they paid for their stupidity, didn’t they? Well, sit down sit down. Can I get anything for you to drink before we get started?” Everyone asked for water before sitting down around the table as they did once before.

After Mary got everyone a bottle of bottled water she closed her office door, then sat down in one of the empty seats around the table; the folder brought to the bank by the courier sitting at that place. There was a bit of small talk at first, Mary asking how they were doing and did they miss being home. She then went on to say that since their first visit there had been some major changes within the bank, thanks to the things they saw which needed to be fixed. As a result, several higher ups were arrested for embezzlement, some juniors were fired for incompetence since they no longer had the protection of those who were arrested, and Mary got herself a new office during the employee shuffle. Even the branch banks had shake ups which resulted in better service for the bank’s customers. As she wound down, she looked around the table at the eight sitting there, and could see how eager they all were to find out what Mary would tell them about their getting the needed loan.

She had time before they arrived to peruse the material Terry sent her and felt confident there wouldn’t be a problem granting the loan. She took the material out of the folder, again, and began telling them her feelings about the loan.

“Like Terry, the bank received another letter from Haints Investments, telling us they were still going to provide ¾ th of financing needed for construction of your clinic. And like Terry, we received a letter from your Anonymous Donor who stated they will provide ⅛ th of the last ¼ th that is needed for the clinic. So, that means you eight want to borrow the rest of the ⅛ th, or $2.5 million.”

As he did while they met with Terry, Tony told Mary, “Um...no Mary, only $1.5 million, we have $1 million in savings.”

The ‘kids’ chuckled at the look on Mary’s face, and Tony went on to explain that they started saving while they were still in high school. He also told her how they were able to put something into saving each week while in undergraduate and postgraduate school because all their finances were taking care of and due to receiving a handsome weekly allowance. He added that once they were established in their fields, their incomes had allowed them to increase the amount that went into the clinic savings account each week. Hence the $1 million they now were going to put towards the construction of the clinic.

After hearing Tony’s explanation Mary shook her head in amazement at what these eight had been doing all this time, even while getting their degrees and starting their careers and marriages. “You people are amazing, simply amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever come across another group of people who had as much drive as you eight have. A drive that started while you were still teenages. I will be very honest with the eight of you, with everything before me, and the fact you started all this while in high school, and because of having a reputable investment firm backing you, and because your Anonymous Donor is also backing you, and you eight are putting in $1 million, when I take this to the Board of Directors I don’t see any reason why they’d turn you down. In fact, and maybe I’m speaking out of turn, you may discover that some of the Directors want to help you out of their own pockets. But you didn’t hear that from me, got it? Now listen, the next Directors meeting is in two days, and I’ll know that day their decisions. And I’ll phone Tony and give him the news. So between now and then, go home, relax, take in your old haunts, but don’t worry. Everything is going to be alright. We will get your clinic built.” And with that their meeting ended, with hugs all around before Mary shooed them out of her office. She had a presentation to give and only two days to prepare.

There were tears all around as their two week vacations ended and they headed back to their careers. They had sat down with Terry several times over the past week and a half, reading contracts, suggesting changes before finally signing them. They spent several days going over the exterior facade and everything that would be seen inside the building. Terry even called in a landscaper to give the ‘kids’ her opinion of the best way to landscape around their clinic; they also told Terry to use her and her company to do the work.



Two weeks later the ‘kids’ came back to their hometown on a Saturday, and went directly out to the site for their clinic. When they got there they weren’t expecting the huge crowd that was there for the ground breaking ceremony. Nor were they expecting the applause they received as they stepped out of their cars. Eight hardhats were handed out as well as eight shovels, and on the count of three, thirteen shovels bit into the earth, signifying the construction of a dream that began over twenty years ago.


*-*-*Epilogue*-*-*

It’s now ten years later, and their clinic had to expand twice. First after being open only five years and now, ten years later. Tameria and Beckie had been the original mental health care providers, but over the years they were forced to hire two more psychologists and two more psychiatrists. Tara had been their physical therapist, but even in her department it was necessary to hire three more people. Even the medical department was forced to hire two and three more in each speciality they dealt with. With the ever increasing workload, Tony had to hire two more IT techs, two more assistance, and several to accept payments and make, and keep track of, appointments.

Their creator had wanted to use them to stop the constant wars that raged on her planet, wars that were caused because blind and stupid individuals couldn’t see that differing beliefs were what made them all unique. Instead, she ran out of time, as the stupid and blind individuals caused the utter distruction of her planet and everyone, and everything, on it. And yet, while she was scattered amongst the Universe her creations found a drop of water on another planet. A drop that slowly formed a puddle, which formed a pool, which formed a lake, which, hopefully, is on its way to forming an ocean. An ocean which will let the inhabitants of the planet live long and fruitful lives.

We are The Haints. Readers. We will you no harm. Readers.

We are The Haints. Readers. We have spoken.

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wow

Teek's picture

I have been reading non-stop all day. Long story for just four posts. I am very impressed. A few grammatical errors and some inconsistencies that an editor should be able to easily address. (did you plan on her two brothers both being eight years old? yes it is possible and I have seen it, but not very common.) It is a well-written story with good character development and release of information.

I am curious about this secret benefactor. Mimi and/or the Haints. It really isn't explained. There is definitely more to this Mimi story than you have revealed.

Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed it.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Your kind words are appreciated

Jamie Lee's picture

I'm glad you enjoyed the story, your kind words are appreciated.

When the letter was received from The Haints Investments, it's supposed to be implied that The Haints set up that firm to not only help finance the kids' clinic but to carry out their main purpose.

As to Mimi, she to is a backer of the clinic, the anonymous donor. As to why she helped without being recognized I haven't a clue, that point never materialized during writing. Maybe The Haints helped her out of a jam, or helped a family member, or maybe the medical community helped save a family member. I simple don't know, the idea of implying she was secretly helping the kids finance their clinic was the lone idea I had.

I'm not aware where it says the brothers are the same age. If memory serves, Peter is the older of the two.

Also keep in mind, what might appear to be a grammatical error could be intentional.

Others have feelings too.

What a terrific story!

Robyn B's picture

I have read all four parts of this story this week.

A great premise to start off with and then a grand telling of the story. It didn't take long to see how the story would proceed but that didn't stop the enjoyment of the reading.

It does me a lot of good to read positive stories where good triumphs over evil. I am glad that The Haints learned how to distinguish between good aggression required to make an achievement and the aggression that only brings downfall to all involved.

This world experiences far too much of the aggression shown by those who have no regard for the damage they do in trying to reach their goals. There are too many of those who think that society's rules do not apply to them. Those who bully others to get what they want. Those who infringe copyright, those who infringe company proprietary information, those who disregard basic human civil rights just because somebody is different or has something somebody else wants just to name a few.

Your writing in this story will encourage me to read your other offerings here on TopShelf.

Keep up the good work!

Robyn B
Sydney

Hi Robyn

Jamie Lee's picture

Talk about feeling warm and fuzzy after your kind words.

I guess my writing patterns other stories I've read where the main character goes through the goop before coming out the other side. They may not be the same as they went in, but they are better for the experience.

Others have feelings too.

Wow WHAT A STORY!

Samantha Heart's picture

It all started MILLIONS & MILLIONS of years ago in a galaxy far far away in an unknown part of the universe, life was extinguished & fast foward to 30 years ago a transgender girl Tamera was a catalyst for something strange, but true the work of Si-Fi, but wonderful at the same time. All the would be bullies, & attackers learned a VALUABLE lesson & changed for the better. The State School Board investigator got HER comeuppance when she TRIED & FAILED to intimidate Jenny Glasstow, which didn't work & the investigation got FIRED on the spot.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.