Lifesaver

Printer-friendly version

Bang! ‘Freak!’ Bang! ‘Weirdo!’ Bang! ‘Faggot!’

Bobby Simpson was preparing to hit my head off the school locker when a large pair of hands grabbed him around the neck and lifted him off the ground.

‘Stop hitting him!’

Bobby gurgled in response.

‘Do you know who I am?’

‘You’re Beatrice the Beast’.

‘Call me that one more time and you’ll wake up in hospital.’

She dropped Bobby who stumbled, just avoided a face-plant and ran whimpering around the corner of the corridor.

‘You saved my life. My hero!’

I threw myself into Beatrice’s arms, reached up and gave her a small peck on the cheek. I pulled back, made eye-contact with a slightly stunned Beatrice, rolled my eyes back into my head and went completely limp.

Beatrice caught me before I hit the ground. I opened an eye and winked at her.

‘What just happened?’ she asked.

‘It is a tradition that once a comely princess rewards their valiant rescuer with a kiss on the cheek, their emotions get the better of them and they faint clear away.’

‘You’re a boy’.

‘A boy can’t be a princess? How very 20th century of you.’

I reached behind my head, pulled my hair out of its hair tie, tossed my head around and blinked several times at her.

‘What ARE you doing?’

‘I’m seducing you by letting my hair down and batting my eyes at you. Am I doing it wrong? Not enough mascara?’

A little smile started to appear on her face.

I put my head on her chest and my hand on her heart and in my most sultry voice said, ‘You had me at stop hitting him!’

I heard a loud honk, followed by several more. Beatrice seemed to be having a seizure of some kind. Tears were rolling down her face.

‘Are you OK?’

She gradually got back control and wiped her face.

‘I haven’t laughed like that since…since ever. That kid was right in one thing. You are a weirdo. Do you have a name, princess?’

‘I’m Christopher. My friends, if I had any, would call me Kit. I am a weirdo. Guilty as charged, but I’m not a faggot. I have an exceptionally fine appreciation of women, of one woman in particular, the spectacular Beatrice, best Rugby player the school has ever had, renowned for deeds of extraordinary strength and valour on the battlefield’.

‘It’s a rugby pitch and I usually end up face down in the mud with ten people piled on top of me’.

She looked a little closer at my face.

‘You ARE wearing mascara. Did you set this whole thing up just to meet me?’

‘Possibly.’

‘What did you say to that kid to provoke him so much?’

‘I merely enquired which of his parents was the non-human one.’

She began to laugh again. ‘Stop, I can’t take much more. Why me? I’m six feet tall and built like a brick shithouse and most people think I’m gay. Why such an elaborate ruse?’

‘I’m five foot six on a full moon and a strong breeze blows me over. How else was I going to get you to notice me?’

‘A full moon?’

‘The pull of the lunar gravity makes me slightly taller’.

‘I’m sorry I asked’.

‘I heard the rumour that you were a dike being spread by some of the boys that came on to you and you turned them down.’

‘If by turning them down is a euphemism for avoiding attempted rape after they wouldn’t take no for an answer, then yes, that’s how it started’.

‘I saw the Baby Dikes trying to flirt with you and getting nowhere and the Bull Dikes getting all defensive and territorial, so I knew it wasn’t true’.

‘Yeah, I don’t swing that way. To be honest I don’t know which way I swing. I’ve not had a lot of opportunity to find out. When I put on a dress and makeup, I just look like a drag queen and I have all the social graces of someone who brings a roast pig to a bat mitzvah.’

She brushed a little blood off my forehead from where it had made contact with the locker.

‘I should clean that up for you and put some antiseptic on it. Can’t have Princess Kitty getting an infected wound.’

Princess Kitty? I can live with that.

‘You know that if you save someone’s life you are stuck with them forever.’

‘That’s not a real thing’.

‘It should be.’

‘Weirdo’.

I put my arm through hers as we walked down the corridor.

‘So, the rugby field…pitch! (See I was listening) is a release for you?’

‘Yes, it’s the one place where I feel free to be myself and I get some respect and camaraderie.’

‘What do the girls on the team call you?’

‘Bea or sometimes Xena.’

‘Well, Xena, you’ve found your Gabrielle.’

She grinned and looked down at me.

‘Gabrielle, Eh? I can see you now looking cute in a beaded crop top and flared suede miniskirt.’

‘That can be arranged.’

up
216 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Promise

crash's picture

Promise me that you will not abandon Kit and Bea. I love what you are doing here. It'll be wonderful to read more about their adventures.

Your friend
Crash

Written as a once off

...but if can think of another situation that fits them I will do so. This is my most comfortable length for a story. When I try to do story arcs for longer pieces they tend to get very bogged down and die.

I can relate ...

... to getting bogged down while writing longer stories. I have written a few longer stories, but the ones I feel most comfortable are shorter. While I'd love to see more of Bea and Kit, I also really enjoyed reading what you shared in this story. Thank you, Bytebak! :)

My kind of weirdo

Amethyst's picture

This story hit me in the soft spot when I 've been needing some good laughs. Kit it so cute and funny and really is my kind of weirdo.
An exemplary effort, well done :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Hear, Hear

:)

Bru

A Classic Meet Cute!

laika's picture

With some of the best droll banter since Jamie Hayworth's Susie and Jeffrey series.
And Kit's one lucky princess! (I myself have a massive crush on Brienne,
that big buff Lady Knight in Game of Thrones, and I don't think my
swooning would be feigned...) Looking forward to more of these
two charming characters or whatever you decide to write next.
~hugs, Veronica

Deelightful!

Donna T's picture

Very unique and clever from a new perspective... with humor!

Regards,

Dee (Lightful)

Donna

Are You Related?

joannebarbarella's picture

To Jamie Hayworth, an author who posted a superb comedy series called Susie And Jeffrey on this site some years ago?

No relation

but now I need to look up that series

Gotta warn you

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

It's a long series, but well worth the read.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Very Nice!

What else can I say? I too would like to read more of Beatrice and Kitty! Much more! Oh yeah, I always identified with Gaby, my fave lady!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Cute start

I hope you will keep bringing us more episodes of Kitty and Bea. This could be a good serial.

Cute start

I hope you will keep bringing us more episodes of Kitty and Bea. This could be a good serial.

FUN!

Please write some more.

JN

Janice

You have

a great style and a wonderful sense of humor, I really hope we have not seen the last of these two.

Snerk!

Daphne Xu's picture

Snerk!

-- Daphne Xu

That was hilarious

And now everybody wants more. Humour of this kind is in short supply here. I suspect you intended it to be a 'one-off' but I hope all the pleas, including mine, will make you change your mind. Well done!

You do NOT need to continue THIS story

So long as you continue writing with the same style and quality. One of the best first efforts for a long time!
I hope you can maintain the promise.
Best wishes for the future!

Kudos

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Definitely agree, More of Kit and Bea would be nice, but at your pace, and not forced.

Nice one, Byteback.

Podracer's picture

Not just a nice short story, I hope it portends more entertainment from your keyboard.

"Reach for the sun."

Great start

Glenda98's picture

When do we get the next part? There is a real fresh feeling to this story, it needs to go on.

Glenda Ericsson

Short, sweet and funny

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

But not enough. Please tell me there's more.

"'Please, sir, I want some more?"
  Oliver Twist by Chas. Dickens

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Very little I can say, that

Rose's picture

Very little I can say, that hasn't already been said, but I will add my voice to the hope for more.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I like big girls...

Andrea Lena's picture

and I cannot lie!

iwygvv5wt3s31_0.jpg

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena