DECISION

Printer-friendly version

DECISION

I was with my children when the messenger came. I try to spend some time with them every day despite the demands on my time as the lady of the manor. Even Joa joins us from his lessons as the heir, though I think it may be the treat I always bring as much as time with me and his siblings that draws him. His younger brother Balo is still young enough at five to look forward to the stories and cuddles and of course there is Salene, my daughter whom I love to dress in all of the little girl’s finery I never got to enjoy. I have to remind myself to let her have time in her old kirtle to play with abandon or she would live perpetually as the doll I never had.

A royal messenger would normally go to my husband Joachim first and only after any official communications were delivered would he bring me letters from my family. Still, it was nice that I heard from them much more often than most young wives as the barony had much business with the crown. Today he came directly to the solar where we were singing old songs and laughing at silly lyrics.

“From your mother the queen” he said as he bowed and proffered a sealed pouch. It had the royal seal rather than the family seal I was used to seeing.

“Joa, can you divide the cakes with the others while I read this? Save me one of the cinnamon ones.” I said as I opened the packet. There were two sheets of parchment inside but one was not in my my mother’s familiar hand. This was the work of one of the court scribes.

Selena, baroness of mountainreach
from
Her serene highness Maronica, regent

your brother the king is dead. You are hereby summoned to the court immediately.

I cried out and burst into tears at that point, unable to read farther. My younger brother Rolando had been my great champion and my great friend. When I knew that I had to be a girl it was Rolando I told first and he was my advocate to our parents and older brother and later to the whole kingdom. He shouted down the ones who shouted at me and argued eloquently with everyone else. He had stood by me as the spell was cast that made me a woman, adding his will to mine. I had cried when Oskar, our older brother, died in battle and when my father died and left Rolando the throne but this was like a physical blow. I would have fallen to the floor if the messenger hadn’t caught me.

My shout had brought guards running in immediately with my husband only a little behind them as the alarm was repeated throughout the grounds. I waved their pikes away from the messenger and found Joachim through my tears. I handed him the parchment as my children embraced me. Joachim joined us with one arm around me even as he held up the message to read in the other. We were married to ensure the loyalty of the Western reaches of the kingdom and give them a feeling that the royal family cared about them. We were lucky. Duty changed to love over the years until I don’t think either of us could imagine life without the other at our side.

The rest of the official document when I had recovered enough to read it was filled with a royal warrant to take horses and supplies at mail posts as needed to meet the summons and other legal bits. The letter from my mother was utter nonsense until I had pricked my finger and touched it with my blood over the stain of her blood. I knew of this spell of course but she had never had the magicians put it on any of her letters before. The frankness of her words made if clear why it was needed.

Selena, baroness of Mountainreach
from
Maronica regent of Skrye

Dearest Daughter,

I mourn Rolando as you do but I have had several days since he took ill to think and plan for this while hoping it wouldn’t happen. The court physician believes he was poisoned by eating spoiled stewed eels, a dish that as you know he always loved. There is no reason to believe that anything else was responsible. Already in the few hours since his death rumors are heard that it was a deliberate poisoning attributed to any of several families of Skrye as well as the Kiltans or the dukes of Maldery.

I fear that the kingdom will be torn into warring provinces as each noble family blames others for Rolando’s death and stakes their own claim to the throne. I do not believe that anyone will support Chrysilla. Your niece is too young at four to command much support even if she were male. The only solution I can see is the return of your fathers third son. Enough of the nobles would rally to Appelon to keep the kingdom together without a civil war.

Selena, darling, I do not ask you to make this sacrifice. You must search your heart: weigh duty and the horrors of widespread insurrections Against the happiness I know you have as Selena. Whatever you decide send back word (just one word, yes or no) by messenger and delay your departure for a day after he leaves. I will prepare for the return of the prince or for war.

Love

Maronica, regent of Skrye
.

I sent the messenger back late today after speaking all afternoon with Joachim and then with the children. I have wept for my brother and for the kingdom. The time for weeping has ended. Tonight I will lay with my husband. Tomorrow we leave for the capital with such forces as can be raised so quickly.

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nasty decision

I honestly don't know what I would do.

DogSig.png

Mulling Over The Same.

If you would like to add to the story...

Considering my own return to XY, the idea seems preposterous and unlikely.

Nice
Gwen

Decisions...

As a veteran, I fully understand 'the needs of the many.'

I expect that she does, too. She knows that she will never be truly happy if she turns her back on her people.

Like a soldier is prepared to give up life and limb for his county, a royal of her character is similarly ready to make sacrifices.

The main question is where the kids will live.

I'm in the I don't know camp

that's a place that was needed to write the story. If there is a sequel then I do have an idea which way she'll go just because I like the plot possibilities better. Ray, I think in this kind of feudal society the children would stay with their father for dynastic reasons. Visit across the length of the kingdom would be rare too.

If she does...

If she does give up her femininity for the good of her people, I could see her husband giving up his masculinity and living as the queen, with all of the children being princes and princesses.

That would leave them with the problem of taking care of the barony. Since it was common for someone to keep their barony while ascending to the throne, they could have a relative take care of it until one of the kids is old enough to take it over

I just thought of something

couldn't she act as a regent until her child is old enough? or alternatively, she could tell the court nobles to suck it up and deal with having a woman on the throne, or watch the place burn in civil war

DogSig.png

Wave function collapse

SammyC's picture

If you chose to continue this very interesting scenario, my preference would be to see her husband agree to become female (perhaps some backstory would hint at his/her heretofore hidden identity struggle). Of course, civil war might be inevitable in any case. Husband and wife warriors who become wife and husband warriors. A confusing time to be had by all.

Sammy

different ideas

all of you have different ideas than I do of what could happen. I guess that's a good reason not to write a sequel. I like the uncertainty. Besides I'm lazy.

I have a solution.

Well, except for the lazy part. If I had a solution for that, my portfolio would be a whole lot bigger.

Look at all of the ideas and carefully use none of them.

Conundrum(s)

1 I quite like the story, including the uncertainty

2 I can only speak for myself but in your place, Greybeard, I'd be thinking the same(including the lazy part)