Nefertari's Curse

Printer-friendly version

*** Author’s Note ***

This story includes Biblical themes and Chistian concepts. They are merely constructs for the foundational plot of the story and in no way are meant to suggest belief.

***

NEF.jpg

Nefertari’s Curse

The bustling sounds of Cairo floated in from the busy street to the elaborately tiled and colorful coffee shop where we all sat. Hank Frazetti, an Italian American, inhaled deeply from a hookah and blew the smoke upward and away from the table but his meager attempt at being polite did little to change the acrid odors that filled the air. Hank was our financier and seemed a tad overdressed, anxious, and stuffy. Across from him, Talia Asfour, a young and attractive professor of Egyptian antiquities, sipped dark, rich, aromatic coffee from a small cup. She was our fixer for this journey, the person that made our arrangements and helped us bridge the cultural challenges of working in Egypt. After taking another graceful and well-practiced sip, she leaned forward and carefully placed her cup back down onto the delicately decorated saucer.

“Do you know how many of these excursions I’ve been on? Seven. Do you know how many rich Americans thought they would discover the next Tutankhamen’s tomb during those expeditions and never found anything more than pottery shards? Seven.”

I stared into Talia’s intelligent and inquisitive brown eyes and smiled. I liked the no-nonsense outspoken aspect of her personality. She wasn’t a traditional Egyptian woman by any means. She wore a functional beige skirt and white blouse that made her look like an explorer from a nineteen forties National Geographic magazine.

“Haven’t you ever wondered how the first Egyptian pharaoh came to be? How did he become recognized as a god? How did he unite all of Egypt? We’re not after someone buried in the Valley of the Kings. I believe our evidence indicates Menes might be found near Kharga in central Egypt.”

Hank leaned back in his chair. “As long as Kharga has air conditioning, I’ll be fine.”

Talia cast her skeptical gaze towards me. “You’re looking for Menes, Dr. Grant? Would that be Naqada III or Hor Aha as both have been put forth as the real name of Menes?”

“I see you’re well versed in the history of the pharaohs, Talia. I have a theory that Menes wasn’t either of them.”

“Let me guess… Menes was from another region of the world.”

“I see you’re also knowledgeable on the alternative theories, but there is evidence to suggest he wasn’t a native Egyptian. The early pharaohs’ DNA have some peculiar and unique traits that others in the region didn’t share. These genetic markers are significant enough to suggest another location for their origin.”

“As in otherworldly?”

“It has been suggested, but that’s not exactly my belief.”

“Enlighten me.” Talia leaned back with a look that suggested she would question whatever I had to say next.

It was hard to hold such a conversation as my eyes constantly sought to focus on Talia’s perfect full lips. I fought my desire to allow my gaze to drift even lower to the hint of her cleavage and the rest of her lithe and lean body. Still, I felt I maintained enough self-control and decorum to not appear rude or leering. I certainly didn’t want to come across that way.

“Somehow there must have been evidence to suggest Menes had godly powers for him to be considered a god. I don’t believe this was otherworldly as in aliens, but potentially more Biblically based.”

“You mean like Moses and his ability to channel the almighty God’s power in unleashing curses upon the Egyptians.”

“You’re close. Genesis 6:1-4 says…”

“When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, ‘My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.’ The Nephilim were on the Earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”

“I’m impressed.”

“One cannot be a professor of antiquities in Egypt without understanding all aspects of the history of our lands. You believe the pharaohs were the children of angels and women?”

“The sons of God possibly refer to angels, or, more likely fallen angels, those that followed Satan to Earth. I don’t believe they were all like this, but perhaps only the first of them.”

Talia laughed. “Demons? That is a stretch, Dr. Grant. Those stories from the Bible are nonsense. Poetic, fanciful utterings. Fictitious writings of those without a solid foundational understanding of science. Is that all you’ve got?”

I pulled up a photo on my phone and handed it to her. I watched as her eyes went wide, and she expanded the photo and moved it back and forth.

“Where did you get this?”

“The stone was found at a dig site near Kharga. There isn’t much left of it that is legible, but there are a few portions that can be read.”

“It’s a marker telling those that find it to beware that Menes, the god of death, would destroy any that disturb his rest and bring a plague upon the world.”

“The god of death. I find the phrasing fascinating. Were you aware that the name Menes means he who endures? If this is indeed a marker, then we may be close to finding his tomb and possibly the truth.”

“You’ve piqued my interest, Dr. Grant. When do we leave?”

“Assuming you can arrange our transportation, as early as tomorrow. And please, call me William.”

***

“A boat? You have heard of buses, cars, and planes, haven’t you?”

“Give Talia a break, Hank. Taking a boat will only add a day to our journey and you have to admit it’s relaxing and scenic.”

“It’s sticky, hot, there are biting flies, and I’m not seeing any women in bikinis. An air-conditioned car would have been preferable.”

“You didn’t have to come, Hank.”

“My organization is funding this little desert extravaganza of yours. The last thing they want is an archeologist and a professor of antiquities determining the potential return on investment from anything we find.”

“We need to make several stops along the way and most of the ruins we need to visit are close to the river’s edge. We’ll be stopping off in Memphis first.”

“Oh, thank God. Tennessee has air conditioning and real food.”

Talia laughed at Hank’s discomfort. “Memphis, Egypt. It’s suggested that Memphis was the capital city that Menes built. We might learn something there that will help us. I have connections with a dig going on in Memphis and I received a call last night that they’re going into a newly discovered chamber today. We’ve been invited to be the first to enter. It’s a rare opportunity.”

Hank swatted at flies around him. His shirt was already stained with sweat. “I’ve heard of the curses of the pharaoh’s tombs before, but I firmly believe the real curse is coming to this wretched, backwards, sand-filled, sauna of a country.”

Hank moved to a shaded part of the boat leaving Talia and me alone.

“Tell me about the dig in Memphis, Talia.”

“Lakshmana Abubakar works at the university with me. He has been trying to confirm the origins of the Memphis ruins. So far, he hasn’t found any connections to Menes or any pharaoh. He’s now forty feet down and believes he has reached the original foundations of the city.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing it. Tell me a little about yourself.”

“There is not much to tell, William.” Her response was monotone as she crossed her arms.

“I’m sorry if I appear to be digging. I’m impressed by you and would like to know a little about the person I’m working with over the next few weeks.”

Her stance softened slightly, but I could tell she was wary. “I’m twenty-seven, live alone, never married, and generally not interested.”

“Forgive me, Talia. I meant nothing by my question. So rarely do I meet anyone that can converse at a level I enjoy. You have a remarkable memory, and your pragmatic approach is refreshing. That you’re a…”

“This is when you suggest I’m an attractive woman and want to know if I will have dinner with you.”

“I was about to say that since you’re a scholar in my own field this makes you even more interesting.”

“I… I shouldn’t be so quick to judge. It’s just… In Egypt… I’m sorry, William. I assumed…”

I put up my hand and smiled at her awkward moment. “No apologies necessary, Talia. However, I will say that I have never met anyone with such a wonderful combination of knowledge, intelligence, confidence, and I dare say, beauty. I mean no offense, nor do I wish it to appear I’m trying to take advantage of you or make you feel uncomfortable.”

She leaned forward with a slight sparkle in her eye. “Since you’re not interested in me, then I guess I must cancel our dinner reservations.”

“I don’t think I said anything about not being interested…”

“You do realize that in this culture, a man must not speak of such things. It’s considered an affront.”

“I… I’m sorry… This conversation never went where I…”

Talia laughed. “I can’t believe you fell for that, William.”

I sat back and chuckled. “Oh God… This is going to be a long trip.”

“Now that the awkward moment has passed, perhaps you can share with me a little about yourself?”

“I grew up in the United States.”

“I gathered as much. Your accent is telltale. Gulf coast, perhaps?”

I frowned. “Texas. Don’t put me anywhere near a place they don’t cook meat to perfection. I was a rebellious preacher’s kid.”

“Really? Let me guess. Southern Baptist, hellfire and damnation every Sunday?”

“Are you with the CIA?”

“I can see it now… a small white country church just outside of Austin, Texas.”

“All right, this is getting a little frightening. You’re not planning on kidnapping me and holding me for ransom, are you?”

“Facebook. Do you really think a single woman would take a job guiding two men without knowing much about them? You really should consider putting less out there for the world to see. Any criminal could see your latest posts of travelling to Egypt and use that to break into your home that you have a photo of in your gallery.”

I relaxed. “You took the job so obviously you have no concerns about me.”

“You? Not in the least. You’re like a cross between a boy scout and Indiana Jones.”

“I was an eagle scout.”

“My point exactly. Now Hank, he is another story.”

“Hank’s harmless.”

One of Talia’s eyebrows raised. “Hank is the type I would expect to wear a pig’s head and run around with a chainsaw. Financier by day, mass murderer by night. Didn’t you see the movie Motel Hell? The motel owner seemed to be all gregarious and sweet as pumpkin pie until the end of the movie.”

“There is no way you saw that movie here in Egypt.”

“I spent two years studying at Stanford University. When I first got to the United States, I over-indulged in the culture. You come from a very violent society.”

I had to defend my homeland against such a baseless accusation even though I knew she was merely trying to bait me. “Those were just movies. I’m positive the same actor running around with the chainsaw was protesting in Washington, DC with a sign that read ‘Save our kids through chainsaw controls.’ Now Egypt… Egypt has a violent history.”

Talia stood and pointed at something behind me. “As much fun as I’m having getting you flummoxed, we’re here.”

Looking back over my shoulder, I stood in amazement seeing four tall stone pillars and two huge statues staring back at us with lifeless eyes.

“Welcome to Memphis, William.”

***

The boat docked and the three of us made our way into the city and to the dig site. When we arrived, Talia introduced us to Lakshmana.

The plump man hugged Talia and shook our hands. “You’re just in time, Dr. Grant. We’re about to open the chamber. Follow me.”

We descended several flights of stairs until we came to an expansive open area. Lakshmana pointed to a wall liberally carved with hieroglyphics. “We have my men in position. We found a sealed doorway and are about to open it.”

I watched as the men positioned themselves with long metal poles. I glanced at the hieroglyphics. “Is that…?”

Lakshmana laughed loudly. “I know what you’re thinking, Dr. Grant. It says Nefertari. Don’t get your hopes up as we have unEarthed many locations around the city with her name on it.”

“Who is Nefertari?”

I looked back at Hank who had found some shade next to a column of stone. Talia responded for us all.

“Nefertari was supposedly the pharaoh Menes’ mistress. What little we know of her is that she was considered the most beautiful woman in the world. So much so that she was revered among the ancients almost as widely as the pharaohs themselves.”

We watched as the stone seal moved inch by inch. It always fascinated me to see the immense size of the stones and I marveled at the ingenuity of an ancient culture capable of building on such a grand scale. The door seal was nearly four-feet thick. With a whoosh of air indicating the space behind the stone had been airtight and sealed, the massive stone was pushed to the side.

We were handed flashlights and air quality monitors as Lakshmana led us inside the chamber.

Once our eyes adjusted to the dim light of the flashlights, Talia gasped. “This is unbelievable. It’s a tomb!”

All around us were invaluable treasures. Golden figurines, statues, and in the center of it all, a sarcophagus.

Lakshmana turned to the rest of our team. “Please don’t touch anything.”

I was drawn to the gold and black painted sarcophagus and looked down on the stylized painted and sculpted face of a beautiful woman. Hieroglyphics carved into the sides suggested Nefertari was inside.

“It’s Nefertari. This tomb is untouched, but it was very uncharacteristic for ancient Egyptians to honor a woman like this. I wonder why.”

Talia angled her flashlight on a wall of pictures and hieroglyphics. “This may shed a little light on things. Look here.”

I glanced up at the intricately painted and carved walls. “Please excuse my translation. It claims Nefertari is to be revered for all time for freeing Egypt from the control of Menes. She risked her life to poison Menes, but at the last moment, Menes took her heart claiming she would always be his. Menes fell into a deep sleep and the Egyptians removed his organs and took him far away from the city. It says they couldn’t free Nefertari’s heart from his hand even after he was mummified.”

“William, what do you make of this?”

I moved back to Lakshmana and stared down at the face of Nefertari’s sarcophagus. “Blue eyes… This is incredibly rare. Golden hair and blue eyes. If this is a true representation, then she wasn’t likely Egyptian.”

Hank had been wandering around and I swear he was calculating worth. “What are these?”

Lakshmana gasped and put a hand over his heart as we turned to see Hank holding a jar.

“As gently as possible, Hank, please put the jar down. That’s a canopic jar which holds the mummy’s major internal organs.”

Hank looked a little sick as he placed the jar back down.

I continued to explain. “When a person is mummified, the internal organs are removed and placed in the jars. Each of the four jars are crafted to represent a god to look after the organ in the afterlife. One each for the liver, lungs, stomach, and intestines.”

“What about the heart?”

“The heart was typically kept in the mummy’s body as it was believed the heart contained the person’s soul.”

“So, if we opened the coffin and the mummy is missing her heart, we would know if the story is true or not?”

“It might lend some support as corroborating evidence.”

“If we find Menes’ tomb, it will look like this?”

Talia wedged herself between Hank and some artifacts he was reaching for. “Not necessarily, Hank. We know that some pharaohs’ tombs had many artifacts, but others did not or were robbed. Some tombs are completely empty except for the sarcophagus. This is, however, additional evidence to suggest Menes wasn’t entombed in Memphis. I’m stunned at the opulence of the find here. It may take months to catalog all of this.”

Lakshmana rounded us up. “I’m sorry, but a find of this magnitude will need security. I must ask you all to leave so that I can arrange to protect the tomb.”

Turning to Lakshmana, I shook his hand. “This has been an incredible honor, Lakshmana.”

“If you find anything, let me know, Dr. Grant.”

“I will.”

***

The boat docked at Minya and we found a restaurant nearby.

“Explain to me again why discoveries like the tomb we just saw belong to the Egyptian government. What will my company gain from such a find?”

Hank’s question brought my mind back to focus on our conversation. I was still reeling from seeing Nefertari’s tomb. “All artifacts found in Egypt belong to Egypt, Hank. This isn’t like discovering sunken treasure in international waters. The value is in learning the history and publishing the finds. Your executives were fully aware of this when the expedition was discussed, and they decided to fund it.”

“Clearly, they never included me in those discussions.”

It was obvious to me that Talia didn’t like Hank, but she tried to be civil. “If it makes you feel any better, the likelihood of us finding Menes’ tomb is slim and even if we do, it could take years of research to compile any useful tidbits of information. I spoke more with Lakshmana and he pointed out a fascinating observation. Wherever Menes’ name should have been found in the hieroglyphics within the city, they were chiseled away and removed. It was as if the Egyptians of the time were trying to erase him from history. This leads me to believe that Menes was feared and disliked, and any tomb would not likely have any treasures.”

“Then why are we trying to find him?”

I leaned forward and glanced at Talia before speaking. “I have secured rights to bring any finds to the University of Cairo. We have permission to perform DNA testing should we find Menes. If we find Menes, we have access to his DNA and possibly for the first time ever, definitively determining his ancestry and origin.”

Talia chimed in. “If we were to find Menes and William’s assumptions are correct, it may be the first known proof that God exists.”

Hank leaned forward with that last statement. “Now, that I can sell. I’m heading back to the boat.” Hank stood and left the restaurant leaving me to pay his bill.

Talia’s gaze fell on me. “Alone at last.”

“Just what you were looking forward to all evening. Dinner with an obnoxious American.”

“We’ve already had dinner with an obnoxious American. Can you believe we were the first to see Nefertari’s tomb?”

“I would love to open her sarcophagus.”

Talia giggled. “Be still my beating heart. You know just what to say to a woman.”

I could tell she was just baiting me again. “You know, Ms. Asfour, flirting like this could get you into trouble with a man of lesser self-control.”

“Point taken, Dr. Grant.” Talia looked around cautiously. “Had you been a woman, I might be more interested in you having less self-control.”

There it was. The culmination of her subtle hints and body language. “I fully understand. I want you to know you and your secrets are safe with me.”

“I feel safe with you, which is why I decided to share of myself. You’re a man of rare intellect and I thrive on our conversations. I hope this doesn’t dissuade you from me.”

“In many ways, it’s freeing to know I don’t have to impress you.”

“Few men ever do, William, but you’re inching your way up the list.”

I laughed. “You probably have a sliding scale. One misplaced word and I’ll be on the bottom of your list again. What do you know of Nefertari?”

“Only fragments of her history have been found. That she was beautiful and that she was revered seem to make up most of the information we have on her. What are your thoughts on the curse we read on the marker that a plague would be released on the world?”

“At face value, we could surmise that Menes carried some disease that brought death to those around him. Thus, he was given the title god of death. It could also account for his status as a god.”

“But you don’t believe that do you William?”

“As an archeologist I must remain open to whatever the evidence reveals.”

“Now you sound like a politician.”

“No. A politician would manufacture evidence to support his position.”

“Such lack of faith in humanity.”

I silenced the response that was on my tongue. “May I walk you back to the boat, Talia?”

***

The following day we continued travelling south on the boat until we reached Asyut, then took a car to Kharga. We stayed in a hotel that night and the next afternoon met our guide and excavation manager who would lead us to the spot where the marker was found.

“William, I would like to introduce you to Hazim. Hazim has arranged for transportation to the dig site, has set up camp there for us all, and brought in the tools and people you requested.”

I reached out and shook Hazim’s hand. “Pleased to meet you, Hazim. You know Talia but let me introduce you to Hank.”

With the introductions completed, Hazim led us out to a Land Rover. As we drove out of Kharga and deeper into the desert, Hazim shared his knowledge of the site.

“The site was discovered two years ago by a nomad. After a sandstorm, he recognized man-made stones and notified the authorities. For two years we have been excavating the site, but our men are afraid.”

“What are they afraid of?”

“We’ve encountered several traps and some poisonous gasses. Many men have left believing the place to be cursed.”

“Real traps would be uncommon, and gasses could easily form in sealed chambers.”

“Men see what they want to see, Dr. Grant. We had holes open and swallow people in the loose sands. Once the marker was found, we lost many men and only your expedition funds have helped to get us to this point at all.”

“How large is the site?”

“It’s small, but deep. We found a second marker yesterday.” He handed me his phone that had a picture on it. Talia placed her hand on my shoulder as she leaned in to look at it.

“It’s another warning not to disturb Menes.”

***

The sun was a huge orange ball as it set. Pockets of hot air rose from the sands giving the final rays of shimmering light a life of their own. We pulled into the excavation site catching only a tantalizing glimpse of the top of the ruins before being ushered into tents. Dinner had been prepared for us and Hank wasn’t a happy camper eating from aluminum plates and having no wine.

After dinner, I stepped out into the complete darkness of the Egyptian desert. The air had cooled, but heat from the sands radiated upward. I cast my gaze towards the stars as Talia came out and joined me.

“Hazim tells me they are at a standstill on the excavation. They think they found the floor of the ruins and there appears to be nowhere else to go.”

I turned towards Talia, the light of the tent making her olive skin glow slightly. “I feel something is here, Talia.”

“Perhaps it’s your intuition warning you. The markers speak of curses released upon the land.”

“I don’t believe in curses. There’s a scientific explanation for everything.”

“Coming from a preacher’s kid and one who speaks of Biblical conspiracies, I find that hard to believe.”

“Growing up, everything always pointed back to God. My parents would always say it’s God’s will this or that. I rebelled and felt controlled. I know I said my theory was more Biblical in nature, but the truth is I hope to find evidence that proves the opposite.”

“Sounds like you’re fighting your own demons. Good night, William.”

***

The morning heat felt like a dry sauna as we made our way down into the open pit and the ruins. Braced wooden walls had been erected to hold the loose sands at bay. The topmost pillars of stone that had been discovered two-years prior soared nearly twenty feet above us.

We stepped out onto a stone floor about the size of half a football field. I bent down and ran my hands over the rough-hewn stones.

“The finish is rougher than I would expect. This would indicate the site was hastily made or not for everyday living. If people had lived here, the stones would have been smoothed by the passage of many feet over time. Can you show me where was the second marker was found?”

Hazim guided us to one of the floor stones where hieroglyphics warned of Menes’ curse.

I squatted down and brushed the sand and dust off the stone. “That’s odd it’s on the floor, Hazim. You’ve found no other writings?”

“None.”

“Let’s get the men down here with the ground penetrating radar.”

Hazim called up to the tents and soon men were scrambling to bring down gear. We quickly set up the portable system and started at the edges of the floor stone. A source device would send high-frequency radio waves down into the stones and listening devices were set a short distance away to record the subtle return of those signals as they bounced off material beneath our feet. A computer analyzed the data showing whether there were any openings, anomalies, or changes in density beneath the stones.

“Dr. Grant? I think you might want to look at this.”

“What is it, Hazim?”

“I’m no expert, but does this appear to be a void under the stones?”

“It does. As we move closer to the center of the stone flooring, the void gets closer to the surface. Can we lift the center stone up and out?”

“I’ll bring in the levers.”

Men scrambled and returned with long steel poles that had flat ends much like ten-foot-long crowbars. With the edges of the center stone identified, six levers were strategically placed and pulled. The giant stone rose an inch and more levers were slipped into place. It was a painstaking coordinated effort until the massive stone broke free from the others in a huge rush of wind and dust. When the stone had been set to the side and the dust cleared, we peered inside the hole.

“It’s very deep, Dr. Grant. The air smells bad.”

“Let’s get it ventilated and we can drop a rope down to see how deep it goes.”

Ventilators were set up to pump fresh air into the void and a rope marking each meter was lowered into the darkness. The rope touched bottom at thirty-two meters.

“Set up the winch. I’m going in.”

I ran back up to the tents with Talia following closely behind me. We put on our climbing gear and grabbed flashlights and glow sticks.

Talia gently grabbed my arm. “Are you certain about this, William? If this is a tomb, this is unlike any tomb ever found here in Egypt.”

I shrugged off my feelings of unease. “This is why we came. The strangeness of the ruins’ design is all the more reason to see what’s down there.”

“At some point, you need to decide if your life is worth it. Don’t take a chance if you feel the risks are too high.”

I smiled at Talia. “I won’t. Until we know what we are up against, the only risk at the moment is getting trapped down there.”

Back at the opening, Hazim had erected a large winch that was mounted directly over the gaping hole leading down into darkness. I dropped in several glowsticks, snapped myself in, and swung out over the edge. Turning on my helmet light, I signaled to be lowered.

For many feet the walls were so close I could reach out and touch them, but then they began moving out and away from me. For a moment I panicked when the winch jumped, but it quickly smoothed out and Hazim shouted down that everything was fine. Everything except for my heart.

My lights barely penetrated the darkness. It was a long ride down and an injury down here could easily mean death by the time help arrived. I could now see the sandy floor where the glow sticks had landed. Thankfully there were no snakes which often preferred the cool, dark recesses of ruins.

When my feet touched the ground, I called up and watched the line retract. Breaking a few more glow sticks, I tossed them in a circle around me to light up more area. The light from my flashlight barely reached the walls. I was in the center of a large square chamber.

Moments later, Talia was standing next to me and she was followed by Hank and Hazim. High-lumen LED flood lights were lowered next and we set those up before proceeding to investigate the chamber.

“Cover your eyes. I’m turning on the lights.”

The flood lights illuminated the chamber in all directions. On either end were two sealed doors with statues of Anubis guarding the seals.

Talia gasped. “That’s intriguing. The statues of Anubis face inward.”

Hank looked dismayed. “Where’s all the gold and what difference does it make which way Anubis faces?”

“Anubis is the Egyptian god of the underworld. If there is a sarcophagus behind those walls, then Anubis should be facing the other way to guard against the living reaching the underworld. It’s a statement that the Egyptians didn’t want what was behind those walls to enter the underworld.”

Talia started walking towards one of the seals. “Of course, it could also mean that whoever built this place wanted Anubis to protect the world of the living from whatever lies behind those walls.”

Hank mumbled to himself. “That’s comforting.”

We walked over to one of the seals. Talia placed her hand on it and pushed. The seal began to crumble and fall away. It was as if this sealed door was less important or built in a hurry. Behind the seal was a small room with five canopic jars and nothing else.

Talia put on some gloves and carefully lifted one of them. “Five jars? There are usually only four and they are always next to the sarcophagus.”

“I recognize four of them. The fifth one could be for the heart.”

“But that goes against everything we know about Egyptian burial rites. Why keep the heart separate from the body?”

“To keep whoever lies in the other chamber from reaching the underworld. If you remove the heart from the body, then the soul and body couldn’t travel to the life beyond.”

“Let’s check out the other chamber.”

We walked over to the other sealed doorway, but this one was far more substantial.

“There’s another marker here.” Using a brush, I swept away the accumulated dust. “Menes, forever cursed. We need to get more cameras to record this and we’ll need gear to get through the sealed doorway.”

Larger cameras arrived and Talia and I both had chest mounted GoPros activated. Two men took to chiseling away at the sealed doorway. Unlike the other doorway, this one was heavier and well-sealed. After thirty minutes of work, the first stone fell inward with another rush of air. Holding the air quality monitor at the small opening, it registered as non-toxic. I used my flashlight and looked inside.

“There’s another room beyond. This looks like a preparation room. I see hieroglyphics and paintings on the walls.”

Hazim ordered the men to finish removing the stones. Talia and I stepped inside first. Colorful paintings filled the walls from floor to ceiling depicting scenes of what we could only conclude was Nefertari giving Menes poison. There were images of Menes taking Nefertari’s heart and the mummification process. Hieroglyphs told the story in detail and offered warnings.

“Death to all that wake Menes.”

That was enough to keep most everyone away. Hank was frustrated that there was no treasure, but there was another room we hadn’t entered yet and that room turned out to be devoid of anything except a rough stone coffin.

“Hank, give me a hand.”

Together we pushed on one corner of the stone lid. The sound of stone sliding against stone echoed loudly through the chambers as we slowly moved the lid to the side. We stopped when most of the contents were exposed. Looking into the coffin, we could see a partially mummified man. He was tall, nearing six and a half feet. White linen bound much of him, but parts of his face and arms were exposed.

Talia leaned over the body. “It’s so well preserved.”

Hank smiled. “Now, that’s a treasure.”

In the partially extended hand of the corpse, a fist-sized red jewel glistened and seemed to refract our lights in a pulsing manner, almost like that of a beating heart. “This must be Menes and that would be what the ancient Egyptians thought was Nefertari’s heart.”

Hank reached in to grab it.

Talia shouted. “Don’t touch it!”

I quickly moved to stop Hank’s hand, but my fingers grazed the red jewel. I felt a surge of power, like sticking my fingers in a power outlet, and watched in horror as the jewel dissolved into tiny fragments.

I stepped back, my body shaking. Talia came to my side and stared into my eyes. “Are you all right, William?”

“I… I felt a surge…something powerful.”

“This is a waste of time. There’s nothing of any value here.” Hank turned and left the chamber completely unmoved by the fact I was struggling to breathe.

Talia looked concerned. “Maybe you inhaled something. We should get you back to the tents.”

“I’m… all right.”

Hank came back into the room carrying one of the canopic jars. “Since you say five of these pots are an anomaly, no one will miss this one.”

“Hank… no!”

Hank moved over to look inside the coffin once again. He shook his head and turned to leave just as Menes’ body jerked to life, gasped for air, and grabbed for the jar. The jar shattered, and fragments of pottery fell to the ground as Hank ran for his life. Menes’ corpse screamed and took a deep breath while I felt another wave of energy course through my body.

Talia half-dragged me through the doorway and back into the main chamber as Menes continued to scream. One by one Hank and the others fought for the winch and were taken up. With each scream resounding through the void, my heart felt like it was being torn asunder. Finally, only Talia and I remained, and she hooked us both onto the winch cable and yelled up.

The winch groaned but we slowly rose up and away just as Menes staggered out of his tomb. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. At the surface, Hazim pulled us free amidst the chaos. I fell back onto the stones, dazed and struggling to get to my feet.

Talia took command. “Close the chamber!”

The screams of Menes diminished as Talia helped me up and back to the tents. When the stone was finally fitted back and in place, the ground shook with one final hideous screech. I collapsed on the ground in convulsions. Only Talia dared touch me.

“What’s… happening… to me?”

“I don’t know, William.”

My mind was screaming to my body to move, get up, get far away, but my body failed to respond. I had never been so afraid in my entire life. Talia grabbed Hazim and together they helped me to a cot in one of the tents. I was feverish and chilled. I could barely keep my eyes open. Talia stayed close and I gazed at her wide, fearful eyes as I lapsed into unconsciousness.

***

“Come to me.”

It wasn’t a request, but rather an order. I didn’t dare hesitate. I stepped across gleaming, polished floors, the hem of my dress sliding silently across the stones. Beads dangled down strings that shimmered in the sunlight coming from the next room’s pillared openings.

My hand stretched out to part the beads. I could see pointed golden caps on each of my fingers representing the talons of a bird of prey. At all times I was to appear dressed as Menes demanded.

Menes lounged on a chair while slaves stirred air above his head by waving fans of black and white ostrich feathers. He was large and muscular, his bronzed skin glistened with oils. His eyelids were painted black and highlighted with gold.

“Bring me wine.”

Turning towards a stone table, I looked at my reflection in a bowl of water. My heavily painted eyes betrayed the weariness of my position, but even the startling blue irises barely concealed my fear and horror. I poured a glass of wine and dipped my finger into the cup to allow the asp poison hidden in my finger cap to be absorbed.

I held the drink in both hands and moved to kneel by Menes’ side. I kept my eyes low to avoid his gaze while holding out the cup. Menes hastily took the cup from my hands and put it to the side.

“I will taste of you first, Nefertari.”

His hands felt cold as they pulled me to him. His lips were on mine and I fought the urge to gag.

“No man shall ever have you, for you are mine forever.”

He reached for his cup and drank deeply. His eyes widened with horror.

“Treachery!”

I felt nothing but blissful peace as Menes’ hand reached into my chest and tore my still-beating heart from my body.

***

“William?”

“Hmmmmm?” I felt strangely comfortable.

“You need to wake up, William. We must leave!”

There was urgency to Talia’s voice.

I opened one eye, and then another. Talia was there pulling a camera from a tripod before stuffing it into her bag.

“There you are… Something is coming. I think it’s Menes. We have to leave for Kharga.”

I could feel the ground shake through the cot I was lying on.

“William, you must get up! I think Menes is coming. I think he’s coming for you.”

“Menes… is… dead…” There was no mistaking that my voice was wrong.

Hazim rushed in just as the ground shook again. “Is he… My God!”

“Help me with him!”

Hazim and Talia both grabbed an arm and pulled me from the cot. I struggled to get my feet underneath me and long golden hair fell in front of my eyes. Hazim easily lifted me into the back seat of the Land Rover. “Quickly, Talia!”

Talia jumped up into the seat next to me and slammed the door closed just as Hazim hit the accelerator. I looked down at my hands, hands that were no longer mine. The ground shook again, and I glanced back towards the ruins just as sand and dust blasted into the sky like a volcanic eruption.

I pulled at my hair and brought it in front of my eyes. “What… happened to me?”

“I only have theories, William. I believe you’ve been cursed. Cursed to become Nefertari.”

“Nefertari?” I brought a shaking hand in front of my eyes. My hand was slender and feminine. I looked down at my shirt which now hung loosely over my body except for the bumps that pressed outward from my chest. “How?”

“When Hank tried to take Nefertari’s heart, your hand touched it. I think at that moment her essence infused you and when Hank brought Menes’ heart near him, he came to life. I believe his power… Menes is alive, he’s pissed, and he’s calling for Nefertari. Each time he screamed her name, the ground shook, and you changed little by little.”

I sat up and focused on my reflection in the mirror. Long golden hair framed my face. Plump, luscious lips, high cheekbones, and penetrating blue eyes looked back at me. My skin was light olive in color, not quite Egyptian or Middle Eastern, but something more unique, especially with my eye and hair color. My face was beautiful, so much so that I pulled in a shuddered breath as if I was unworthy to look upon such beauty.

Talia pulled my gaze away from the mirror. Her hands held my cheeks so I would focus on her. “We’re going to figure this out, William.”

The sun was setting behind us as Hazim raced across the desert. I swore I heard a scream in the distance.

“What have we done?”

***

Hazim made good time back to the hotel in Kharga. Talia kept me focused and talking so that I wouldn’t go into shock, but aside from my mind churning and trying to grasp the ramifications of what happened to me, I felt physically fine.

Talia led me to her room promising Hazim she would take care of me. She sat me down on the bed and I felt the heaviness of my new chest pull slightly.

“We need to find the others. We need to get you some clothes. We need to kill Menes. We need to alert someone… anyone… We need to undo the curse. We need to get you identification.” Talia was pacing the room while listing off everything that needed doing, but I could only focus on myself.

I stood and walked past Talia to stare at myself in a mirror. I had been forty-three years old and now I didn’t look day over twenty. Where I had been six-foot-one, I was now closer to five-foot-nine or ten. My clothes hung off me except at my hips and the tightness across my chest. There was nothing left of my old self. I was completely transformed.

I ran my fingertips over my hairless cheeks and across my sensitive lips. I pulled my shirt to the side to reveal my bare shoulder before pulling my shirt together around my slight waist which emphasized my feminine body.

I reached to touch the mirror to confirm I wasn’t looking at another person when suddenly the face of Menes’ rotting corpse appeared behind me.

“Come to me.”

I screamed and turned, coming face-to-face with Talia.

“What is it, William?”

“Menes’ face… was in the mirror. He called to me.”

Talia held my shoulders and stared into my eyes. I found her gaze comforting.

“Let’s try to analyze all of this. You’re still William in there, right?”

“Yes. It’s me.”

Talia reached for my chest and pulled off my camera.

“I forgot all about these. Try to think this through from a logical perspective. Let’s start with Nefertari and her tomb.”

Talia took our cameras over to her laptop and started opening them up. She began transferring the captured video.

When I didn’t say anything, Talia looked back over her shoulder. “Talk to me, William.”

I took a deep breath to settle my nerves. “All right. Nefertari was well loved by the people but she was a slave to Menes. She feared him. She didn’t wish to die but would prefer that to Menes’ touch. She wore gold linen dresses, and gold jewelry including fingertip claws. She had dipped one of her claws into asp venom and infused the poison into a glass of wine for Menes.”

“Wait… Where did you get all of this? It wasn’t in the tomb.”

“I dreamed it as if I were Nefertari.”

“That’s… astonishing, but nothing concrete. What do we know for certain?”

I tried to ignore my quick-beating heart and my need to breathe in small gasps. “The state of Nefertari’s tomb was pristine and there were treasures far beyond most pharaohs. This indicates she was loved by the people. We need to confirm with Lakshmana that her body was missing her heart and that there was evidence to suggest it was taken from her.”

Talia switched the memory cards and began downloading the second camera’s footage. “I’ll make note to call Lakshmana. What else do we know?”

“The name of Menes was forbidden in Memphis. The hieroglyphs where his name was carved had been chiseled away. Nefertari was properly mummified and the hieroglyphs stated her heart could not be freed from Menes’ hand.”

“All right. What did that symbolize?”

“The heart is the seat of the soul. If it is true that Menes kept her heart, then, in theory and according to ancient Egyptian beliefs, Nefertari could never reach the afterlife.”

“Exactly. Can we confirm that we found Menes’ tomb?”

“We have much evidence to support it. If Menes was feared and hated enough that the people struck his name from his own city, then it is likely he would have been entombed far away. That’s not enough evidence, but we have three markers located at the excavation site with his name on it. The fact the male body we found entombed there was mummified and his organs, including his heart were removed from his body and stored apart from him and the Egyptians used Anubis to block his entrance to this world, we can assume the mummy we found was not well liked. Finally, we have depictions of Nefertari and Menes within the tomb and what appeared to be a crystalized heart in the mummy’s hand.” I struggled with the sound of my own voice and how sensual it sounded.

“Let’s assume that was Menes and what he held was the actual heart of Nefertari. What did you feel when you brushed the heart?”

“A surge of power, like an electric shock. But what doesn’t make sense is why didn’t the Egyptians mummifying Menes didn’t also experience this?”

“We don’t know what they encountered or experienced. We now must move to hypothesis, William. Let’s assume Menes wasn’t dead, but merely unconscious from the poison yet he was powerful enough to stop any from taking Nefertari’s heart. Maybe he also placed a curse on her…”

“No man shall ever have you, for you are mine forever.”

“Where did that come from?”

“From the dream. It is what Menes said to Nefertari.”

Talia hesitated. “All right then. That’s the curse and we must believe words have power.”

“Now you sound like my parents.”

“You can’t deny something supernatural is at work here, William.”

I held out my hand in front of me. “I guess not.”

Talia leaned over her computer and began scrolling through the video. She paused and turned to me. “Menes is mummified while he is still alive. His organs, including his heart are removed and separated from his body. What’s the symbolism there?”

“The same as before, the belief was that his soul was in his heart and by removing his heart, he wouldn’t have the ability to reanimate himself. This sounds like a Tom Cruise movie.”

“Here is my theory. Menes was in a form of suspended animation with his heart removed, but he wasn’t necessarily dead. His curse worked to grant his body strength after his organs were removed, not allowing the Egyptians to remove Nefertari’s heart. Menes was transported and entombed until we found him. Perhaps over the millennia, Menes continued to lose energy and when you brushed Nefertari’s heart, her essence was absorbed into your body. Hank then comes in with Menes’ heart in a canopic jar, bringing it close enough for Menes to gain enough power to reanimate himself. With his power returning, his curse reactivates, and because you had absorbed Nefertari’s soul, you transform into the object of Menes’ desire.”

“Ludicrous. There must be a scientific explanation. A virus with DNA from Nefertari… Something…”

“That’s a start. How do you combat a virus?”

“Blood work. Anti-viral medication. Possibly antibiotics.”

“Then we start there. I need to get you to a doctor.”

I stood to leave, and Talia blocked my path. “Not so fast. This is Egypt, not the United States. You can’t walk around with your hair loose, no bra, and in men’s clothing. You’ll get nothing but harassment if not worse. You need proper clothing and it’s the middle of the night.”

“Don’t you have something I could borrow?”

Talia moved so she was no more than an inch away from me. So close, I felt our breasts touch. “You’re taller than me by a few inches. You have larger breasts and a wider rib cage. My bras would be painful, and my blouses too tight. We must wait until morning so that I can purchase some new clothing for you.”

“But I could just wear what I have…”

“You’re not listening to me, William. Do you want to be beaten or raped?”

I shivered as I considered that possibility. I slowly shook my head.

“This is predominantly a Muslim nation. Women don’t walk around with much skin showing. They keep their hair bound, long sleeves, a skirt to mid-calf or lower, and nothing too tight to sexualize their bodies. I know you want to get moving, but I’m trying to protect you.”

Even with everything swirling in my brain, Talia’s closeness was almost too much to bear. “I’m sorry. I’m not thinking straight.”

I tried to step aside, but my pant leg tripped me and I stumbled back onto the bed.

Talia reached for me, her expression showing concern. “Are you all right, William?”

“I’m fine… I’m not hurt, I just stumbled. No… I’m not all right. I’ll never be right again. How did this happen? What have we done?”

“We’re going to figure this out, William. I need you to remain calm. Help me review the video. Maybe there’s something there.”

“Calm? We reanimated a plague-mummy and look at me.” I sighed and extended my hand so that Talia could pull me back up just as heavy knocking sounded at the door.

“Talia! Is William in there with you?” Hank’s voice sounded frantic.

Talia’s eyes widened. She whispered to me. “When Hank left the tomb, he stole a car and vanished. He doesn’t know what happened to you yet.” She turned towards the door. “Yes… and no. Just a minute.”

Talia paused at the door and took a deep breath before opening it. Hank barged right in, glanced at Talia and then at me before looking around the room and back at me several times.

“Where’s William? What the hell happened back there? Who is this? She’s gorgeous… Why is she oddly dressed?”

It was the first time someone had called me she. I turned back towards the mirror in the bathroom confirming what I already knew.

Talia stepped between Hank and me. “Why did you leave us, Hank?”

“You think I was going to stay there with some mummy coming to life? Hell no! This doesn’t feel like a practical joke.”

More knocking came from the door. “Talia, William. It’s Hazim.”

Talia opened the door and Hazim waited patiently outside.

“Do you need anything, Talia?”

“Come in, Hazim. William and I were discussing our next steps.”

Hank spun around. “Where? Where’s William because he’s got a lot to answer for.”

I turned away from the mirror. “I’m William, Hank.” Just speaking the words felt like a pyramid was placed upon my shoulders.

Hank looked at me and started shaking his head. “No… No way. This is all some big joke on the corporate executive out of his element. Did Ted at the office put you all up to this?”

Hank turned towards the door when Hazim slugged him, knocking him on his backside.

Hazim pointed to the dazed man. “That was for leaving us all behind. You’re an ass!”

Hank rubbed his jaw and slowly got back to his feet. He looked dazed enough that he didn’t complain or put up a fuss. Talia went over to her computer.

“We were about to review the footage to see if there’s anything there that can help us figure out what happened to William.”

She scrolled through the video and paused it. “This is the moment William brushed Nefertari’s heart. Here it is in extreme slow motion, frame by frame.”

I moved over next to Talia, feeling dwarfed by the size of Hazim and Hank.

Hazim pointed to the screen. “As the heart dissolved, it’s as if it turned into gas and went into William’s hand.”

“That must have been the shock I felt. It was like being flooded with energy. Maybe there was DNA… maybe it was Nefertari’s soul.”

Hank was still rubbing his jaw as he turned to look at me. “There’s no way you’re William.”

Talia moved the video footage along until the moment Hank came in with the heart. Wisps of red light, barely visible, moved from the canopic jar towards the sarcophagus. In slow motion we witnessed a dried, desiccated hand reach for the jar.

Talia fast forwarded the video once again. “This was the last footage from inside the chamber. You can see Menes staggering out of his tomb, but he wasn’t going after us, he turned towards the other sealed room. We can only assume his intent was to regain his organs. I’m thinking that bought us our time to get out and seal him in. Let me switch to the footage from my camera. Hank, I suspect you’ll be a believer after you see this.”

The video shifted to a jerky scene of me spasming on the ground and Talia and Hazim moving me to a cot. Over the next three hours of video, Talia’s camera recorded the sounds of Menes’ screams and piece by piece my transformation. I had been unconscious during it all.

I turned away and stared at my hand. “Can we assume Menes never got out of the tomb?”

Hank backed away from me. “There was a curse after all. Am I infected?” He ran to a mirror to stare at his face.

“Only William experienced anything, Hank. We think it was because Nefertari was cursed and when William touched the heart, he absorbed her DNA or soul or both. When Menes reanimated, his curse took full effect. He was calling for Nefertari. His focus seemed to be on the one person he is after.”

Everyone turned to face me.

***

I was relieved when Hazim and Hank left. It was bad enough for Talia to be staring at me. I felt like a leper, but one look in the mirror showed I was anything but diseased.

I sat near the window and stared out towards the eastern horizon. Talia had been a trooper and stayed up late, but finally succumbed and climbed into bed to try to sleep. Not me. How can I sleep when I’m not me? My reflection in the window kept catching my eye and I had to force myself to not look over my shoulder to see if a woman was standing behind me. The reflection was mine.

As the sun began to rise, the morning sky turned bright red. Talia sat down next to me, her disheveled hair and tired eyes told me everything about how she had slept.

“Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red sky in morning…”

“What are you saying, William?”

“Just an old sailor’s warning.”

“I gather you didn’t sleep?”

“How could I? I keep replaying everything over and over in my mind thinking this is all a bad dream. How can Menes be alive after five thousand years? Why was he calling for Nefertari? Does he want to kill her, or something else?”

“I’m going to have a shower. Why don’t you call down and order some breakfast for us both? Try to focus on how we get you back to being William and not worry so much about Menes.”

I watched Talia get up and head to the bathroom. I still hadn’t gone to the bathroom or peaked inside my clothes. I was in complete denial. I was, however, quite hungry. I picked up the phone and set it back down several times.

Finally, I got up the nerve to make the call.

“Room service.”

“This is…” I quickly hung up the phone.

A few seconds passed, and the phone rang. I stared at it a moment before reminding myself this wasn’t that hard.

“Ms. Asfour? I believe we might have been cut off. How can I help you?”

“I would like two breakfasts sent up. Beid bel basterma with some fruit and coffee please.”

“Certainly, Ms. Asfour. It will take us about thirty minutes.”

“Thank you.”

My hand was shaking as I hung up the phone. It wasn’t so much that I was frightened over ordering the closest thing to a traditional American eggs breakfast, but rather there was no confusion from the man on the other end of the phone. He believed I was a woman.

Talia stepped out of the bathroom wearing a white robe and slippers as she rubbed her long dark hair with a towel. For the briefest of moments, I forgot I was female and was enraptured by her beauty.

“The bathroom is all yours, William. There’s a spare robe and everything you need. You’re still covered in sand and dust, and your hair… maybe it was from the transformation, but it really needs a wash. Not that you’re not…”

I held up the end of my long golden hair in my hand and saw it was matted with sand in it. “I guess I look like I haven’t showered in a few thousand years. Breakfast is on its way.”

I moved quickly to the bathroom and closed the door behind me before turning towards the mirror and sighing. The biggest challenge to my psyche was that I had several brief moments where I hadn’t thought about what had happened. Will I soon forget I was a man?

I leaned back against the bathroom door and took several deep breaths. I couldn’t get away from the large mirror casting my image back at me. I was undeniably beautiful, even covered in sand, dust, and with matted hair. I slowly unbuttoned my shirt revealing my breasts. They were large and perfectly formed. My shirt had done much to hide them and my extremely trim waist. Dropping my shirt to the floor, I fought to ignore the shifting weight as I unclasped my belt. I had to pull and squeeze my pants down as they moved over my wider hips.

I stood completely naked now. There was absolutely nothing left of the old me. My reflection stared back at me with wide, blue eyes. I was young, trim, fit, but with very ample breasts and a flare to my hips giving me an ultra-feminized shape. If I was what Nefertari had looked like, then I had no doubt why she had been deemed the most beautiful woman in the world. There wasn’t a single blemish, aside from dust and sand on my body. There was also not a single follicle of hair below my head. My skin was silky smooth without a hint of stubble. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, but I wasn’t expecting that.

I turned around to see that my hair cascaded down to the small of my back and my backside was shapely without being flabby. It was smooth, toned, and my legs looked long, sexy, and athletic.

I closed my eyes and deliberately looked away to break my stare. The toilet beckoned me and yet now, without the constriction of my clothes, I felt every subtle bounce and shift of my body as I moved towards it and sat down. It was with some relief that I found doing my business not that much different than before.

Stepping into the shower, I turned on the hot water and closed my eyes. I let the water soak into my hair, and I could feel it make graceful pathways as it slid down and over my skin. Even a shower felt completely different than before. My new skin felt every drop.

I could easily have stayed there all day, but I forced myself to start washing my hair and skin. It took me three shampoos to wash the filth from my hair. Even though I tried to be mechanical in my movements, I couldn’t deny the sensual feelings when sliding my soapy hands across my skin.

When I felt completely clean, I stood for another minute just letting the water pour over me. I closed my eyes and lifted my head, opening my mouth towards the water. Suddenly, my mouth filled with the heavy, iron taste of something foul. My eyes shot open as I spit out the horrible tasting liquid. I looked down at myself as blood covered me. It was coming out of the shower head.

I screamed.

Talia rushed into the bathroom. “William?”

Even as she opened the glass door to the shower, the blood ran down the drain.

“William, what’s wrong?” She reached in and shut off the water while grabbing for a towel. Her eyes moved across my body quickly before she averted her gaze away and handed me the towel.

“The water… It turned to blood.”

“Blood? Let’s get you out of the shower.”

I stepped out as I pulled the towel around me. This put me right next to Talia. She had changed her clothes, but her hair was still unbound and slightly damp. Her presence was intoxicating. She turned away quickly.

“Dry yourself off. I need to take a few measurements for your clothes.”

Talia hustled out of the bathroom and closed the door. I could tell she was flustered, or perhaps frightened. I was frightened. Looking back into the shower, I could see that the blood had vanished, but it had been real. I was certain of it. What does it mean?

I dried off quickly and put on the robe. When I stepped from the bathroom, Talia looked my way and came towards me.

“I’m frightened, Talia.”

Her eyes softened. “When I was a little girl, there was a man that lived next door to us. There was something mentally not right about him and he scared me. One day, I spotted him staring at me through my window. I ran screaming to my mother. She did the strangest thing. She took me into the bathroom, sat me down, and started brushing my hair all the while whispering to me that she would take care of me and protect me. To this day, when I’m frightened, I focus on the simple things and remember my mother’s touch.”

Talia guided me over to a chair and a mirror and sat me down. She began brushing out my long hair. “We’re going to get through this, William. You’re not alone. I’m here to help you as long as you need me.”

Her touch was soothing and far too quickly my hair had dried. It looked like liquid gold. With it cleaned and dry, it appeared slightly blonder than before but still golden in color. It was lush and full of body and it had soft natural waves that gave it depth. Looking at myself in the mirror, I had been transformed into a woman of otherworldly beauty.

“Stand up. Let me look at you.”

I stood and stepped around the chair.

“No wonder Menes wants you so badly. I have never seen anyone so beautiful.”

I almost felt normal except for being called beautiful. That never happened to me as a man. “Menes woke up on the wrong side of the sarcophagus. I think he wants revenge for us disturbing him.”

Talia stared into my eyes and shook her head. “No… No way. There’s not a man alive that wouldn’t give you the world. Think of Helen of Troy. People went to war over her.”

“She was a myth.”

“Clearly, Nefertari was not. I made a call to Lakshmana. We need to meet him back near Memphis. They’ve removed Nefertari’s body and taken it to the be preserved. The body was missing her heart and there’s evidence it was torn from her. We need to get you to a doctor to examine you and I think we should compare your DNA with Nefertari’s body.”

“We can see a doctor here.”

Talia shook her head. “I want to get you as far away from here as possible.”

“I can’t argue with that, but some part of me thinks we may find answers back in Menes’ tomb. I just don’t want to go near there.”

“I don’t think there was anything we missed in the tomb. We recorded everything. Besides, you must be our first priority. We need to check you out and do some blood work. We must make sure you have no disease or something that can spread like a virus. I… I have a bad feeling, William. I don’t think this is over yet.”

“Me either. If anything, it’s just beginning.”

***

We had a few minutes of awkwardness while Talia measured me for clothes. She was behaving less cautiously around me, but her hesitancy to touch me also made me wonder if she still saw me as an anomaly, a man infected by some thousands of years old virus. On the other hand, I felt perfectly normal in a physical sense and I saw Talia the same as I always had. Beautiful, intelligent, inquisitive, and for me, beyond enticing. This situation had put me near her, and it was in moments such as this that I lost my focus on what had happened to me. For each of these precious seconds, my mind was blessedly silent.

Once breakfast came, Talia shooed me away to the bathroom. She was afraid of the response from the hotel staff that another woman was occupying her room. I took a few minutes to go through my old clothes and I paused when I pulled out my wallet. I stared at the picture on my driver’s license, the letter M under sex, and even my birthdate. It all added so many more concerns to my growing list.

Glancing at the mirror one more time, I recognized I didn’t dislike what I saw. Who would? I was younger than before and extremely beautiful, but I wasn’t me.

“It’s all right to come out now, William.”

I walked back into the main room and sat down at a small table across from Talia. I started sampling the food, but I noticed Talia wasn’t eating. She was staring at me.

“Did I do something wrong?”

“Not at all. As you walked in from the bathroom and sat down, I couldn’t help but think to myself that I would never have known you were a man yesterday. I’m sorry, as I don’t think you need the reminder. You aren’t walking or sitting like a man. If I were to hesitantly offer another hypothesis, I would suggest that your transformation was so complete that you also inherited Nefertari’s muscle memory.”

I glanced down at myself and had to look beyond how my breasts pressed my robe outward to notice my legs were crossed and my posture was exceptional.

“It will make it harder for me to prove who I was yesterday, but it may help my self-confidence a little knowing that people won’t be pointing at me saying I’m something I’m not… Or maybe they would say I’m not something I am.” I tossed my driver’s license on the table. “Do you know how many questions come to mind when I see that?”

“You wonder if you will ever use that again. You’re probably questioning if there’s no way back to being William, how will you ever get home. You look younger… I mean, not that you looked old before, but you were…” Talia fumbled for the right words.

“Seasoned.”

Talia smiled. “Seasoned. I like that.” She reached out her hand and held mine. “We’re going to figure this out. We’re in this together.”

“You don’t have to.”

“You’re right. I don’t have to, I need to. You’re not just another American tourist I’m getting paid to guide in Egypt. We found a heck of a lot more than a pottery shard. I’m invested in this adventure and I’m invested in you. I want to understand the powers at play that could make something like this happen. This has me questioning my entire worldview.”

“My worldview is pretty well shattered right now.”

Talia let go of my hand and started eating. “Good choice on the food by the way. Fattening, but still a good choice.”

“I need a name. At least temporarily. I can’t have you calling me William out in public.” I shuddered at the thought of walking outside amongst hundreds of people.

“This will be a fun breakfast topic.” The mischievous glint had returned to Talia’s eyes. “I loved watching the old Hollywood movies. The names back then had grit to them. Names like Elizabeth, Mabel, and Edith.”

I wasn’t certain, but I possibly scrunched up my nose. “Do I look like a Mabel to you?”

“You look like Nefertari.”

“That’s such a mouthful. If I truly look like Nefertari, where do you think she came from?”

“You mean her nationality?”

“Yes.”

Talia shrugged. “I’m not a specialist in geographic genetic diversity. You honestly don’t look like you came from any specific nation. You have medium-colored skin, which could be Middle Eastern. But your blue eyes and golden hair puts that out of the question. You’re exotic, unique. It’s your name. You should pick it.”

“I don’t trust myself. I might think there are good names out there only to discover they are shunned by women worldwide.”

“You’re just delegating.” Talia leaned across the table and stared into my eyes. “Kaira.” Talia leaned back and smiled. “I think my job is done here.”

“Kaira?”

“It was either that or Faith.”

“Why Kaira over Faith?”

“Faith is a little too Christian. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but do you really need to be reminded every time someone calls your name you need to have faith things will work out?”

“Kaira… Kaira Grant?”

“Until this is reversed, or something happens to change your last name… It’s exotic, like you. It suits you and I like it.”

“What would make me change my last name? You’re not…! No! You think…? You think I won’t be fixed, and I will get married? To… to… a guy?”

“I can only assume that if you inherited muscle memory, you might have also inherited Nefertari’s…”

“No! Not even remotely. Don’t even suggest that some guy and I would…”

Talia giggled. “Not even Hank?”

The joking had gone too far, and I stood and turned away.

Talia stood and gripped my shoulders from behind. “William… Kaira… I’m sorry. Please forgive me. I have been completely insensitive.”

“It’s all right. I just have to wrap my head around the idea that there may be no undoing what has happened.”

“We’re going to give it our best shot.” I felt her hand sliding down my arm until she gripped my hand. With a light pull she turned me towards her. “I’m very sorry, William.”

I looked down and away putting my anger aside. “Kaira. I like the sound of it.”

“Will you be all right if I go to the shops downstairs and find you some clothes?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll be back as soon as I can, Kaira.”

The fact was, I wasn’t fine. I paced back and forth across the room while pulling my robe tightly against me to stop my breasts from bouncing. It was the thought that I was stuck like this that had me worried.

***

The door opened, and Talia stepped inside. She looked frustrated.

“I went everywhere. I couldn’t find a blouse or… panties. I’m sorry. I did find a bra, shoes, and a dress. I’m really very sorry, Kaira.”

“It will have to do. Thank you for trying.”

“You might not thank me when you see the dress. The only one in your size I could find was a little on the formal side.”

Talia moved to her suitcase. Her face flushed as she handed me a pair of her panties. “These should fit you. They’re clean.”

It was embarrassing for me to hold them as much as it was for Talia to show them to me. They were red, lacey, and quite possibly the sexiest panties I had ever seen.

“Uhm… You’re sure?”

Talia blushed again. “Don’t ask. All of mine are like that. Those will go with the bra and dress and shoes.” She handed me the bag. “When we get near Cairo, I know we can find something different for you.”

I took everything, stepped into the bathroom, and closed the door. I let my fingers slide slowly over the delicate, silky fabric of Talia’s panties and tried hard not to imagine her in them. After hanging up the robe, I slipped the panties on feeling like a felon and yet also amazed at how comfortable they felt. Next, I rummaged through the bag to find a bra. It wasn’t nearly so transparent or filly, but it was still delicate and made of lace.

A quick glance in the mirror almost gave me heart failure. I swear I was in the room with a Victoria’s Secret lingerie model. Catching my breath, I grabbed the dress and slipped it on over my head. It too was red, and the cinched midsection emphasized my thin waist, wider hips, breasts, and toned legs.

I stepped into the red flat-heeled shoes, thankful they were not high-heels and I noted that the bra made my breasts shift around less. I pulled my long hair out from under the fabric of the dress and checked myself out one last time before heading back to the bedroom.

“Oh my…” Talia sat down in a chair and took several deep breaths before getting back up to her feet. “You look…” Talia stood and came very close to me. Her hand reached up to my neck and she pulled a tag off the dress. “Hazim will drive us to Memphis. Will you be all right?”

“I think so.”

“Stay right there.” Talia moved to her suitcase and came back to me. She took my hand in hers and slipped something around my wrist. When I looked down, I saw it was a silver bracelet with blue turquoise. “My mother gave this to me. It’s supposed to ward off bad luck.”

I was torn and conflicted. The effort Talia had gone through for me and her giving me the bracelet was very touching. In my mind, however, I screamed that I already had bad luck.

“Thank you.”

“Grab your things. Hazim and Hank are waiting for us downstairs.”

***

Last night I had been in a daze. This morning I was walking through the hotel completely aware of every pair of eyes that followed me as if I were the only glass of water surrounded by endless miles of desert. There were many men that stopped their conversations mid-sentence to openly leer at me.

Talia did her best to keep me moving and when we got to the Land Rover, Hank and Hazim froze in place with their mouths agape. It wasn’t until Talia slapped Hazim on the arm did he start grabbing bags. I couldn’t look either of them in their eyes as I climbed into the back seat.

“Holy cow! Is that really William? What is he doing in a dress?”

Talia pushed Hank aside. “Now isn’t the time, Hank!”

“No wonder this pharaoh guy wants her back.”

This time it was Hazim. “Shut it, Hank! Get in the car.”

We pulled away from the prying eyes of the guests and hotel staff and started moving slowly through the parking lot. Looking back over my shoulder, I saw someone standing in the middle of the road. He was tall, muscular, and his eyes bored into mine as we pulled away.

“Is that Menes?”

Hazim looked in his rearview mirror and Talia turned to look back as well.

“If that’s him, he’s looking a hell of a lot better than the last time we saw him.”

I ignored Hank and watched as the man started running after us.

“Hazim… drive faster!”

Menes’ speed was incredible, and he was catching up to us.

“Floor it!”

We tore through the parking lot and I could see the fierce determination in Menes’ eyes. He almost reached us when a car backed out of a parking spot and crashed right into him. I watched in horror as Menes grabbed the edge of the car and rolled it over in anger.

With screeching tires, we bounced out of the lot and onto the highway leaving an angry Menes far behind.

I put my head in my hands. “Menes knew where we were and was hit by a car that barely stopped him. He threw a car and somehow got out of his tomb with a stone cap that must have weighed several tons. Does anyone have a gun?”

“To kill yourself or Menes?”

I looked up at Hank. “Can we leave Hank on the side of the road somewhere?”

Hazim looked back at me using the rearview mirror. “I’m very sorry this has happened to you, Dr. Grant. I can only imagine the humiliation and embarrassment you must be facing, let alone being the target of a long-dead pharaoh. Going from the strength, intelligence, and virility of a man to a woman is the worst of curses.”

I liked Hazim, but what he said irritated me. I started to say something when Talia put her hand on mine and leaned close to whisper to me.

“Careful, Kaira. I see it in your eyes that you’re upset and rightfully so. As a woman, I have been treated in such a way all my life and have grown accustomed to the demeaning slights.”

I turned my face to Talia, our cheeks gently brushed each other’s. My anger immediately dissipated. “It’s not right.”

“No, but Hazim knows no better and he is a friend. It is his way of saying he cares about you.”

I still couldn’t let the comments slide completely. I looked up to the mirror so I could see Hazim’s face. “I’m still me, Hazim. The curse that did this to me hasn’t changed who I am.”

“I mean no offense, Dr. Grant. Women have their esteemed place in our society, but it was the woman that led man into sin, and we were all cursed by God because of that transgression. It is their place to suffer the consequences of that transgression.”

“I grew up in a Christian home and church, Hazim. Islam and Christianity share the Old Testament. Eve wasn’t around when God told Adam to not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.”

Hazim chuckled. “Yes, but Eve told the serpent she wasn’t supposed to eat from the tree, so she must have been told by Adam and yet she still disobeyed the man.”

“While Adam was told not to eat of the fruit of the tree, Eve believed even touching the fruit would bring death. Like many religious leaders, Adam most likely embellished the law God imposed by expanding upon it with untruths. The serpent used these fabrications, the deviation from the truth of what God intended to plant a seed of doubt in Eve. Had Adam given Eve the truth to begin with, there would be less likelihood she would have transgressed. So, who was at fault? Eve, or Adam?”

“You would make a great religious scholar, Dr. Grant.”

“Had I not been cursed to become a woman.”

Hazim laughed. “Yes, indeed!”

I smiled. “You might be surprised, Hazim, that this conversation is helping me cope. For I have been focusing on the curse, but not the opportunity that is before me. For what man can truly understand the mind of a woman except the man that becomes one? While I hope this can be undone, I can choose to use my experience as a chance to learn what it is like to live as man’s better half.”

“You have much wisdom, Dr. Grant.”

Hank twisted to look at me from his seat. “All I know, is if we can figure out how William was transformed and can bottle it, we’ll make billions. I could certainly have used this curse on my three ex-wives to make them more beautiful.”

I hadn’t noticed that Talia had been holding my hand all this time, but with the conversation at an end, she removed her hand and pulled away. I leaned my head against the window and closed my eyes. My lack of sleep had finally caught up to me.

***

“Come to me.”

I was standing on a sand dune with the wind gently blowing the golden layers of my dress and hair. Menes was standing not far from me. His tanned, shirtless body displayed his muscles and strength.

“I do not belong to you, Menes.”

“There are none like us, Nefertari. We are the only ones remaining. Together we will rule this world.”

“I am nothing like you.”

“Come to me!”

Menes embodied strength, power, and evil. His words pulled at me and he smiled and held out his hand for me to take.

“I am not yours. I belong to another.”

“I will find you!”

***

I gasped as I woke. My head was in Talia’s lap and she was tenderly stroking my hair.

“I’m sorry, Talia.”

“Don’t be.”

“I will find you! I’m coming even now!”

I sat up quickly. “Where are we?”

“About an hour from Memphis.”

I had such a feeling of dread. We were paralleling the Nile river and there were fields of crops on either side of us. There was a flock of black birds to our right. Looking behind, a cloud of locusts was moving quickly towards us.

“Hazim! Turn off the road and into the field!”

“What?”

“Just do it! Now!”

The brakes squealed, and the Land Rover bounced violently as we crossed a ditch and stopped in the middle of the field.

“What’s going on?”

I stepped out of the vehicle. “Menes is here.”

Hank got out of the car. “If Menes is here, shouldn’t we be in the car and getting away?”

The locusts changed direction to head straight for us. Talia stepped up next to me.

Suddenly hundreds of ravens flew up from the field and started flying around us in a circle. The cloud of locusts parted and flew away, but from their midst, Menes stepped forward. He looked at the birds and shouted angrily at us, but he held his distance.

Looking back over my shoulder, I shouted. “Time to go, Hazim! Get us out of here.”

We all climbed back into the Land Rover and as we drove off, the ravens continued to surround us. Menes didn’t follow. For many minutes everyone was silent.

Talia looked back through the rear window. “What was that about?”

“I heard Menes in my head. He said he was coming.”

Hank was clearly agitated. “I’m struggling with the logic of all of this. We woke up a dead guy that can escape a tomb sealed with a stone weighing multiple tons, can get hit by a car, and can fly across the desert with locusts. He’s after William thinking he is now his long-lost mistress. We’re breathing the same potentially infected air as someone that is leading this crazed demi-god right to us and is having conversations with the evil guy in his head. If you want my opinion, we should leave William on a piece of sand somewhere far from civilization with a note tied around his neck and get in the good graces of this guy.”

Talia glared back at Hank. “Nobody is asking for your opinion, Hank.”

“I’m just stating the obvious. We’ve stolen Miss Universe from five thousand years ago and we’re being hunted.”

“How did you know the ravens would stop him, William?”

I looked at Hazim. “I didn’t, but something led me there. I felt we would be safe.”

“The raven has much symbolism in ancient Egypt and in Biblical times. In the Bible, the raven was considered a divine messenger. God commanded the ravens to feed Elijah. In ancient Egypt, the raven was thought of as an ill omen.”

I looked over at Talia. “Maybe Hank is right.”

“Hank is never right, Kaira!”

“I’ve been known to be right sometimes. Who is Kaira?”

“I’m putting you all at risk. Menes wants me and as long as you’re near me, you’re at risk.”

“William’s making sense.”

“Hank, if you don’t shut your mouth, I’ll personally let Lakshmana use you as a living test subject for ancient mummification processes, a process that begins with pulling what few brains you may have through your nose. We’re not going to let Kaira go through this alone. If it’s anyone’s fault, it’s yours, Hank! You’re the one that woke Menes by being greedy and it was you that caused Nefertari’s soul to infuse William in the first place. Can you consider for a moment that if William hadn’t stopped you that it would be you that Menes is now after?”

Everyone was quiet for a few minutes.

“Hazim, if you can get me to Lakshmana in Memphis, that’s all I’ll ask of any of you.”

“Menes is an abomination, Dr. Grant. He needs to be destroyed. I’m with you all the way. I have my children to think about.”

Hank was frustrated. “I’m out. The sooner I can get away from this insufferable country the better. My report back to the board will not be favorable, William.”

“I would expect nothing else from you, Hank.”

Talia grabbed my hand again. “I’m with you, Kaira. I’ll not leave you to go through this alone.”

Hazim’s eyes looked at me and then Talia through the rearview mirror. “The name Kaira means beloved. Did you choose this name, Dr. Grant?”

I glanced at Talia who looked away. “We thought it best that I have a female name in public.”

I watched as Hazim’s appraised Talia via the mirror. “A wise decision.”

***

“Turn right, Hazim. Lakshmana took Nefertari’s body to the Helwan University of Medicine. He will meet us there.”

“Is he aware of everything, Talia?”

“We’ll have some explaining to do.”

We pulled into the parking lot and headed into the university. We convinced Hank to stick around long enough to lend support to our claims, but then he would be free to leave.

Lakshmana hugged Talia as he had before. “Your call sounded urgent, Talia, but before we get to business, perhaps you can introduce me.”

“Lakshmana, this is Hazim. He was the dig site manager in Kharga.”

“Very pleased to meet you, Hazim. And who is this rare beauty?”

“You might recognize my resemblance to Nefertari, but I’m William Grant.”

Lakshmana held his large belly as he laughed out loud.

Talia stepped over to a counter and placed her laptop down. “This isn’t a joke, Lakshmana. We found Menes’ tomb. We found Nefertari’s heart. Menes is alive, and we need your help.”

“But that doesn’t explain Dr. Grant. None of this makes sense.”

“This will help.”

Talia began playing the video footage.

***

Lakshmana walked around me slowly. “Golden hair, blue eyes, olive skin, and never have I laid my eyes upon any woman so beautiful. I don’t mean to make light of your situation, Dr. Grant, but you are walking, living, breathing history. How do you feel?”

“Physically, I feel fine, just very confused by everything.”

“Yes… yes. I can understand. Come! Let me show you what we discovered. Maybe something we have found will help return you to yourself.”

We followed Lakshmana into a lab where he scooted his team members out. On the other side of a glass wall, Nefertari’s body was lying on a table in a special environmentally controlled room.

“We’ve had to tighten security around here as our discovery has enormous ramifications. Here is a picture of Nefertari’s body when we first removed the wrappings.”

I moved to a screen on the wall. “Remarkable. Her hair was still intact, and her skin and features appeared almost moist.”

“Two days ago, her body began to decay rapidly. The timing of her decay seems to correlate precisely to when you touched her heart, Dr. Grant.”

Talia moved closer to the screen. “We have a theory that Nefertari’s essence, her soul was bound to her heart and held captive by Menes. When William touched her heart, he was infused by her essence and when Menes’ heart was brought near him, he reanimated and began calling for Nefertari. Each time he screamed her name, William changed bit by bit.”

Lakshmana nodded thoughtfully. “There’s more, much more. You can see by these photos that Nefertari’s heart had been removed by force. Broken ribs suggest an inward thrust followed by a pulling back. This is consistent with historical stories of the event. For all of this, here is where it gets even more interesting. I would like to hear your thoughts on this next slide.”

I turned back to Lakshmana. “These are DNA results.”

He nodded.

“This doesn’t make sense. I’m seeing thirty sets of chromosomes.”

“The first twenty-three are human. The other seven are of unknown origin.”

I held out my arm. “Take a sample of my blood. I want to find out if it matches what you have there.”

“We can get the chromosome count almost immediately, but DNA match will take a day.”

I sat down as Lakshmana took a vial of my blood.

“What exactly does this all mean?”

Talia looked at Hank and frowned. “I thought you were leaving.”

“I became interested again when Lakshmana suggested William was a piece of walking history.”

Talia shook her head. “Humans have twenty-three chromosomes. You, me, everyone. Everyone except for Nefertari, and I suspect Menes as well.”

“So, what? They have a defect.”

“A defect would be a mutation of an existing gene. These are chromosomes neither you nor I have. Menes was considered a god and we’ve all seen samples of his power. If it’s true, that angels, or demons existed, and they mated with human women, their offspring could have additional chromosomes which grants them god-like power.”

“William hasn’t exhibited any such powers.”

“Menes speaks to his mind, Hank. Perhaps he has fewer chromosomes than Menes, or that his power is different, or that his mind can’t fathom the powers he can access.”

We waited about thirty minutes for the initial results. “Congratulations, Dr. Grant. You’re not human. You have thirty chromosomes, just like Nefertari.”

I sat down heavily. “What about XY chromosomes.”

“Your blood shows only XX.”

“What about viruses?”

“We will do more screenings, but we aren’t seeing any viruses in your blood.”

“I need a minute.”

I stepped out into the hall and stared at my hands. Talia came out after me.

“Kaira… William? Are you all right?”

“Not really, no. Up until a minute ago I had hoped that this could all be undone.”

“Is it so bad?”

“Yes… no… I woke up as someone completely different, Talia. I didn’t grow up being female. I know nothing about being a woman. I have no identification. I probably can’t even go home.”

“Is there anything that’s acceptable?”

“It’s hard to focus on anything positive right now.” I took a deep breath to refocus. “Assuming I don’t die from some strange ailment or Menes, I have added years to my life.” I sighed. “That’s an exaggeration. I no longer think Menes wants to kill me.”

“What do you think he wants?”

“To rule the world with me at his side. I suspect he wants offspring. In the car, I had another dream. He wanted me to come to him so we could rule together. He said he and I were the last two on Earth.”

“The last two what?”

“My guess is that we are the last progenies of demons mating with human women.”

“I thought you didn’t believe in any of that.”

“How can I deny anything that has happened? I’m not even human. I’m a monster like Menes.”

“You’re not a monster. You’re human.”

“I don’t know how you can say that when I don’t even know who or what I am any more, Talia.”

“I’ll tell you who you are. You’re Dr. William Grant, archeologist and historian, son of Chester and Elizabeth Grant. You grew up in Texas, love barbecue, and struggled with your parents’ beliefs. You are kind, caring, and honorable. You have a wonderful sense of humor, a sharp wit, and you’re everything any woman would desire.” Talia placed her hand on my cheek. “You are who you have always been. Only now, you’re in the body of a woman.” Talia paused, and her eyes became fearful. “I know this because you’re my Kaira, my beloved, and I wouldn’t fall in love with a monster.”

My hand tenderly covered hers. I wanted to be angry. To accept the situation would be a denial of who I was and send signals to the men around me that I gave up and succumbed. But would it really be a denial of who I was? Maybe Talia is right. My body doesn’t represent who I am. Of course, I would be foolish to believe I would be received the same way I was before, especially in societies repressive towards women.

I pulled Talia over to a bench and sat us both down. She had been waiting anxiously for some response from me.

“I just realized that I’m stuck this way, Talia. I can’t even imagine a way Nefertari’s essence could be extracted from me allowing me to return to what I once was. In my dream, Menes called to me multiple times. I told him I wasn’t his and that I belonged to another. My emotions are scattered. I have feelings of uncertainty, doubt, confusion, and fear. There is only one emotion that is steadfast and focused for me and yet I can’t say that I’m able to act upon it. I knew the moment I met you that I was in over my head. I fell for you before you finished your first coffee. I hope that I can overcome this and am able to give you all that you deserve.”

“That’s more than I can ask for, Kaira. I can’t fathom how difficult this must be for you. I’m here for you. Whatever you need, whatever it takes.”

I gently squeezed her hand. “You knew the meaning of Kaira when you chose it, didn’t you?”

“I meant it when I told you that had you been a woman, I would have been much more receptive to you having less self-control.”

“Maybe you’re a prophetess.”

“I can’t tell you how torn I am for you, Kaira. I see your struggle and yet before me sits everything my heart has ever desired. I want you to be at peace and yet I want you to be mine.”

“I pray that somehow we can both achieve what we want.”

“You’re a praying person now, Kaira?”

“I figured it’s as good a time to start as any.”

Talia leaned forward and kissed my cheek. “Are you ready to go back in there?”

“Yes.”

“Just remember who you are, and you’ll do fine.”

***

The conversation had eased my tumultuous mind. The tension between Talia and me had dissipated and I found that freeing. Once I wrapped my head around the situation, I did have additional concerns.

“Lakshmana, I want you to destroy my blood sample, but complete the DNA comparison first.”

“But why would you want me to do that? We can discover much about Nefertari from you and, perhaps, we may find a way to return you to normal.”

I shook my head. “It’s not a virus or disease that can be treated. I don’t even have any of my own DNA left. What could we possibly discover that would return me to who I was?”

“Of course, Dr. Grant. You don’t wish to become a lab experiment. I understand and will notify my staff to destroy your blood after we perform our comparison.”

“Thank you.”

“Where will you go now?”

“I need to see about establishing my identity. I can’t keep roaming around Egypt without a passport or ability to use a credit card. I thought I would head to the U.S. embassy in Cairo.”

Hazim stepped forward. “I’m happy to drive you, Dr. Grant. What about you, Talia?”

“Wherever Kaira goes, I go as well.”

My gaze drifted to Hank. “And you, Hank?”

“I’m going straight to the airport. Being around you is like a death sentence. However, if you ever figure out how this happened and can market it, give me a call.”

We promised each other to stay in touch with any new situations or revelations. Hank took a cab to the airport and Hazim dropped us off at Talia’s apartment near Cairo’s old city area. After Hazim had driven away, we stood outside to discuss the arrangements.

“You live alone?”

“My parents owned this apartment, but when they died a few years ago they left it to me.”

“Isn’t it uncommon for a single woman to live alone in Egypt?”

“Yes. There are a few exceptions, but women either live with their parents until they are married or are segregated into women-only facilities.”

“That sounds… backwards.”

“Egypt is a very conservative country, Kaira. Men can be downright rude and abusive here, especially to single women, but, for all the downsides, the people are extremely generous, caring, and loving. Family means everything to them.” Talia reached for the door handle. “I only have one bedroom as the other room is set up as an office. Are you all right being together in one bed, or should I make up the couch?”

“You’re going to so much trouble for me.”

Talia smiled. “It’s no bother at all.” Talia smiled mischievously. “Besides, you paid me in full in advance.”

“Wisest decision I made in years.”

“I would like to keep you close. Do you mind if you sleep in the same bed with me?”

“I don’t want to put you out, but I’m not sure how I would do all alone right now.”

“Then it’s decided. I even have a spare nightgown for you.”

“If they are as sexy as your panties…”

“Shhh… Don’t forget who you now are and where we are.” Talia leaned closer and whispered. “They’re sexier.” She smiled, opened the door, and led me upstairs to her apartment.

Once inside, Talia sat down as I paced the floor. I felt her eyes on me as I walked back and forth.

“What’s going on inside that pretty head of yours, Kaira?”

“For the first time in my life, I feel lost. I can’t seem to focus on any one thing.”

“What’s the most pressing thought for you at the moment?”

“Knowing who I am. I know we’ve talked about this, but I feel like everything distracts me. It’s as if I have a single moment of clarity followed by an onslaught of dozens of questions and sensations.”

“It’s hard for me to put myself in your shoes and fully comprehend what you’re going through. I’m struggling myself.”

“Now that’s a nice change. Let’s talk about your problems for a while. Maybe mine will seem insignificant.”

“Is that a spark of your humor coming back?”

“Less than a spark, but it’s still in here somewhere.”

“I’m having a hard time being empathetic. My mind tries to put myself in your situation, but my heart doesn’t care.”

“Maybe we just need to steal Menes’ heart and let you absorb his soul, so you can understand what I’m going through.”

“Is that what you want?”

“God, no. That would be like letting the Simpsons artist paint over the Mona Lisa.”

“Is that a compliment?”

“The world needs more people like you, Talia. Some women might find Menes handsome, but you have such rare and remarkable beauty that losing you would be sacrilegious.”

“Close your eyes for me.”

I closed them and heard Talia get up from the chair.

“What are you doing?”

“Shhh… Keep your eyes closed. I want you to put what you have become away in your mind. All that you are, is William Grant. You’re the same person you were days ago.”

If I didn’t move, I could feel the core of me was still there. Talia came closer.

“Keep your eyes closed, Kaira.”

I flinched as I felt Talia’s fingers against my cheek, but I tried to focus on her touch. Her fingers slowly moved in circles just below my ear. Her other hand went behind my neck.

“Relax, Kaira. It’s just you and me.”

I felt Talia’s fingers slide through my hair as her cheek came close to mine. I could feel her warm breath against my neck. Goosebumps travelled up my spine. She smelled lightly of exotic flowers. Her nose rubbed tenderly against my earlobe and I felt her lips brush my neck. A soft moan left my lips.

I tried turning my head towards hers, but her fingers gently held it in place.

Talia whispered into my ear. “Stay still. Focus on my touch.”

Her lips brushed my neck again and slowly moved towards my chin. Her hands cupped my cheeks, and I felt her nose gently slide up along mine. I could feel her breath against my lips until the softest, most tentative touch of her lips pressed against mine.

My lips parted slightly. I was unable to stop myself from leaning forward as her lips pulled away only to feel her kiss me again more firmly. In that moment, nothing else mattered. Even my gentle female moan didn’t interrupt my desire for more.

“Open your eyes, Kaira.”

I opened them to see Talia’s cheeks wet with her own tears. Her face was flushed, and her breathing was rapid.

“Who are you, Kaira? Who is this person standing before me that has captivated me so? Tell me I haven’t just made the biggest mistake of my life.”

My hands moved to her face and my thumbs brushed her tears away. “May God forgive me, but I cannot wish for anything more than being with you.” I pressed my lips against hers and came away breathless.

Talia’s hand caressed my cheek as she kissed me again. “You have no idea what you do to me, Kaira. I have never wanted anyone or anything as much as I want you. I can’t bear to be apart from you, not even for a second and yet I know you are conflicted.”

“When I let my heart guide me, my brain is blessedly silent. You bring such peace to my soul.”

“I hope I do more to you than bring you peace.”

“As a man, I wanted you. As a woman, I crave you. It’s as if every cell of my being will scream out in pain without your nearness or touch. I was a tall, strong man, and now I feel weak and fragile. I want nothing more than to please you, to be enfolded in your arms. Does this frighten you?”

“By no means, Kaira. It’s endearing to me. I had shut myself off from anyone’s advances and was afraid I would be alone the rest of my days. Now I see you and for the first time in my life, I want to stand tall and protect that which is mine.”

“Am I yours?”

“You kissed me back, so I’m going to say yes.” Talia pulled me over to a couch. “As much as I would like to keep your mind on better things, like me, we should talk about what happens next.”

I sat down next to her and my fingers entwined with hers. I felt the heat of passion slowly dissipate from my body. I took a deep breath to settle my nerves. “At some point I will need to speak to my workplace to let them know what is happening, but they don’t expect me to contact them before my work here was supposed to finish in a few months. I can’t keep mooching off you. I need to pay my own way, but I’m effectively broke and unemployed. I need to start by going to the embassy.”

“All right. Let’s say we head to the embassy tomorrow. What’s your story?”

“I thought we could bring the video footage and tell them the truth.”

“Let’s see how that sounds when I relay it to you. Hi, I’m Kaira Grant. A few days ago, I was Doctor William Grant, an archeologist from the United States. I was digging at a site near Kharga when the mummified remains of the pharaoh Menes came to life and turned me into a woman. It’s just another one of those mummy curses. I would like new identification, so I can go home please.”

“You make it sound so fictional.”

“I agree you should tell the truth, but we must be ready for the inevitable response. The truth is very implausible, but a lie could be equally so because anything you would tell them couldn’t be verified.”

“What if I’m laughed at?”

“Then we need an alternative plan. You could live here with me and get a job offering tours of Nefertari’s tomb.” Talia reached for my hand as I had pulled away slightly. “I’m sorry, Kaira.”

“No, it’s all right. Somehow I need to find the humor in all of this.”

“What happened to you is nothing to laugh about, Kaira. You have been completely altered. We awakened a mummy. You’re grasping with your own changes, lost your identity, and are dealing with the ramifications that your worldview was wrong. Has it sunk in at all that what you hoped to disprove might be more the truth than you realized?”

“My head is churning with thoughts on all subjects right now, but nothing is more pressing than the feel of the hem of this dress against my thighs, the weight of my hair, and these…” I pointed my hands towards my breasts.

Talia looked down and away. “I’m sorry this has happened to you and I’m sorry I kissed you. It was too soon for both of us.”

I reached for Talia’s hand. “You’re the only thing that has remained constant for me through all of this. I know that sitting idle isn’t good for me. Do you have food? Maybe I could cook you something. I think putting my hands to a task will help me.”

“My food supplies are low as I expected to be away for a few weeks. There is an American hotel around the corner that caters to tourists. They have pizza.”

“Pizza? In Cairo?”

“You won’t find all the traditional toppings as you would in the United States, but it’s the closest I have found in Egypt.”

“You like pizza?”

“And hamburgers, hot dogs… even bacon.”

“What is your impression of football?”

Talia scrunched up her nose. “You want my honest opinion?”

“Yes.”

“To me American football doesn’t showcase real physical talent. There are special teams for everything. When I compare football to soccer, there is no comparison. Soccer players run for ninety minutes solid and have real skills. You’re looking at me funny.”

“Our culture practically dictates that as an American man I must love football. I couldn’t agree with you more. There are many players that have real skill and talent in football, but I have always found it painful to watch. I’m not a fan of basketball or baseball either. I grew up playing soccer, swimming, and waterskiing.”

“The good news is, you’re a woman now and not required to watch football anymore.”

“What about relaxing with a cold beer?”

“That all depends. Are you a Bud Light person or perhaps someone with a more sophisticated palette?”

“I’ll take a dark rich craft beer anytime over a Bud Light.”

Talia smiled and looked into my eyes. “A girl could really fall for someone like you. How about we go to the hotel and order some pizza and beer? They have a large selection of beers that are not commonly found in Egypt and the tourists will not likely judge us as the locals would. However, there still won’t be a man in the place that won’t give you the look.”

“The look?”

“The hey baby, why don’t you take off your clothes and sit on my lap look.”

“As long as you don’t leave me by myself, I think pizza and beer sounds excellent.”

“Let’s go then.”

We left the apartment and Talia slipped her arm into mine. We had to walk a few blocks and past several establishments where there were a lot of men. On one corner, an older man yelled out at us. He was speaking in Arabic, but I was certain I understood what he was saying. Talia ignored the man and kept us both walking.

“Did that man just ask where our husbands were?”

“I thought you didn’t speak Arabic.”

“I don’t.”

Talia frowned and spoke several sentences to me in Arabic.

I felt like I understood every word. I started to reply in English, but what came out was Arabic. “You asked me if I understood you and if I didn’t mind wearing a black nightgown tonight.”

Talia switched to French and asked me what kind of car I drove back home. Again, I replied, but this time in French.

“That’s amazing, Kaira. You never learned Arabic or French before?”

“No. Why was that man asking where our husbands were?”

“You just understood two foreign languages and were able to respond without any training, and you want to know why that man asked where our husbands are?”

“I just don’t want to focus on my abnormalities right now.”

“You’re not abnormal, Kaira. You’re perfect. You’re better than normal. Maybe you’re just seeing glimpses of Nefertari’s capabilities.”

I stopped walking and Talia looked back at me. Shaking my head back and forth, I felt my long hair caress my back. “I’m frightened, Talia. What if I’m like Menes? The more different I am, the more likely…”

“More likely what?”

“More likely that you will see me as anything but a monster.”

Talia took my arm in hers and pulled me along. “The reason the man asked where our husbands were, is that is a normal occurrence in Egypt when women are outside. Women are to be home, cooking, cleaning, and tending the children. Any woman that is out in the evening must therefore be single and that is an afront to many men here. It happens all the time.”

I was grateful that Talia tried to act normally for my sake. “Why didn’t you stay in the United States?”

“Don’t get me wrong, as I loved it there, but I only had a student visa and when my parents died, I came home and never thought to go back. I love the beauty of Egypt, and the culture, even if the men are generally not very kind to strangers and single women. It gets easier if you have friends and are out with a group, but, because I’m with you, a foreigner, we will stand out more.”

I laughed. “I’m Nefertari’s clone, one of the most beloved female figures in all Egyptian history, and yet they see me as a foreigner.”

“It’s quite ironic, isn’t it? Here we are.”

The hotel was open, airy, spacious, and many tourists were coming and going. I heard a dozen foreign languages by the time we crossed the large foyer. I understood every word. More than one conversation commented on our beauty and I had to concentrate on Talia leading me into the restaurant and lounge area.

Once seated in a dark, corner booth with our backs to the wall, I felt better and started to relax even with the men at the bar getting neck strain as they looked towards us.

“I told you, Kaira. Half the men in the place are giving you the look right now. The other half are either with their wives, mistresses, or not remotely interested in women. You’ll get used to it.”

“It’s creepy. I never thought about how men looked at women before except when it was obviously rude or leering. Please tell me I wasn’t like that.”

“I did notice you checking me out, but you were never leering. You were subtle about it and I found that caring. I think every woman enjoys knowing that they are found to be attractive, but there is a fine line between an acknowledging look and what most men give.”

I leaned back and closed my eyes to try and quell the storms in my overactive brain, but I felt the weight of my hair and how the long strands brushed my neck. The gentle rise of my chest caused the slightest movement of my breasts and the light cool breeze on my exposed calves was refreshing. I couldn’t get away from the new sensations.

I opened my eyes again to see Talia staring at me. Her hand slid into mine under the table and entwined my fingers with hers as the waiter came by. We ordered a pizza and two Guinness beers.

When the beers came, Talia raised her glass. “To you, Kaira.”

“Why me?”

“Because toasting to anything else just doesn’t make sense.”

I lifted my glass and touched it to Talia’s. “Then to you as well, Talia.”

***

I woke quickly, rolling over to come face-to-face with Talia. She was sleeping so peacefully and looked like an angel. The previous night had been both wonderful and challenging. The simple act of eating pizza and drinking a beer with gentle casual conversation was reassuring, yet the hotel had been filled with tourists from all around the world. I had tried to filter the conversations out, but I could understand each one no matter the language.

Sitting up, I stretched and looked down at the lacey edges of the black nightgown that barely covered anything on me. As I longingly let my eyes travel back to Talia, I couldn’t deny that I was drawn to her. My parents would be aghast. “It’s a sin.”, they would say. Two women being together just didn’t align with their beliefs.

Looking up towards the sky, I recalled how God had smote the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah for their sexual perversion. If Nefertari and Menes were children of fallen angels and human women, then angels existed. If angels existed, then God must also exist, and He would be pretty pissed off with me.

I never asked Talia why she was drawn to women and not men, but I suspected it was something traumatic. I never understood why God would choose to punish someone for their sin, when all they were seeking was love. If it was someone else’s sin that caused a woman to fear men, why punish her?

And then there was me. I was a man, and because of some accident I absorbed Nefertari’s essence and was now female. Female with a man’s brain and one that had always loved women.

“Why?” I whispered.

“Why what?”

Talia’s hand caressed my shoulder as her lips brushed my neck from behind. She was incredibly hard to resist.

I reached for her hand and held it to my cheek. “Why don’t you have your shower first while I make us some breakfast?”

There was a short pause before Talia spoke. “I know you’re struggling with everything, Kaira. Please forgive me, but I need to know if there is a future for us. Your nearness overwhelms me. I can’t look at you without wanting to touch you and kiss you. I have waited my entire life to find someone like you. I love you, Kaira. I know you need time to process everything, but I…”

I looked up towards the sky. I wanted to shake my fist and to shout out my anger, but I decided an even better action was warranted. I turned to face Talia and my anger at God and everything religious immediately vanished. Talia’s eyes expressed her vulnerability, her quivering lower lip demonstrated the depth of her fear. I knew I loved Talia.

I reached my hand to caress her cheek. “You once said I was yours and you should know there is nothing in this world that I want more than you, Talia. Yes, I struggle minute by minute with the changes that have happened to me, but every day I wake more accepting of who I now am. I fell for you the moment we first met and even though my heart was dashed when you told me your innermost secret, I continued my descent. Your slightest touch, like when you leaned over my shoulder to look at the photo of the second marker, would draw me even further. You ask me if there is a future for us, but I can’t see any future where you are not a part of my life. I love you, Talia.”

I pulled her to me and kissed her.

We kissed and hugged and held each other closely until our kisses shifted from thankfulness to loving passion.

***

We laid together under a single sheet. Our bodies were entwined, and our lips lightly brushed each other’s.

“I have no words to describe how incredibly wonderful that was, Talia.”

“I’ve never made love to another person before, Kaira. You’re my first and, I dare say, last. For whom could ever compare with what I just experienced with you?”

“I’m tempted to spend the rest of my days here in bed with you. My offer to cook you breakfast still stands.”

“Mmmm. I could get used to this.” Talia kissed me, winked, and slipped from the bed.

I slipped the nightgown on, turned towards her mirror, and smiled before wandering into the kitchen.

***

We walked towards the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, and the closer we got the more ill at ease I felt. Still, we continued until a soldier stepped in front of us as we tried to enter the facility.

“State your purpose.”

“I lost my U.S. passport and need to apply for a new one.”

The soldier stepped aside. “Through the doors and the metal detectors please.”

It took a few minutes for the guards to search Talia’s purse, but once that was done, we stood in a lengthy line for service.

When it was finally my turn, I was waved to a window. “State your purpose please, Miss.”

“I need a new passport.”

The man frowned. “There are forms over there. Fill them out, then get back in line. We should be able to accommodate you within a week.”

“I’m not sure you fully understand. Not only do I need a new passport, but there are extenuating circumstances that I need to discuss. Is there an agent I can speak with?”

“Miss, the process is very clear. You fill out the forms, bring them back to me. I will review and set up a meeting with an agent in a week or so.” He waved us away.

I turned, but then turned back. “I’m in a great deal of danger. Please!”

“As if I don’t hear that story every day. Move away or I will have you removed.”

Talia grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the forms table. “It was a long shot anyways.”

Just as we arrived at the table, we heard a commotion behind us.

“Stop! Sir!”

We quickly faced the entrance of the embassy where the shouting was occurring. Menes was forging ahead, ignoring the guards as his eyes found mine.

“Nefertari!” Menes shouted in ancient Egyptian.

I felt the pull of his voice, but I fought against it.

A guard thrust his rifle towards Menes and stood to block his path, but Menes simply batted him away like he was a gnat.

Suddenly alarms went off and the room was filled with armed soldiers. They yelled for everyone to get down, which Talia and I readily obliged. They moved to surround Menes and he looked at them with disdain.

“Nefertari!” His eyes bored into mine.

“Down! Get down and put your hands behind your head!”

Menes roared in anger and shouted in English. “She is mine!” His finger pointed straight at me.

“Down on the ground or we will fire!”

I watched in horror as Menes ignored them and strode towards me. Several deafening shots rang out. I wasn’t certain if the bullets passed through Menes, stopped and fell at his feet, or dissolved away, but Menes apeared unhurt. He was also very angry and grabbed the closest rifle, ripped it from the astonished guard’s hands, then backhanded the guard aside. The guard crashed into two other guards knocking them down. I watched as one by one Menes brought down the entire squad before turning his eyes back on me.

I scrambled to my feet and pushed Talia behind me as Menes came straight for me speaking once again in ancient Egyptian.

“Come to me, Nefertari. Together we will rule this world. Do you forget what we had together? You loved me once.”

I felt pressure in my mind and suddenly I was back in ancient Egypt. I was lying on my back as Menes… I screamed and staggered as I pushed Menes from my mind. Menes stood before me smiling evilly. I was weak and shaken as he moved to grab my wrist.

Perhaps it was Talia’s bracelet or something else, but I felt a spark as he held my wrist. Menes grabbed his hand, screamed, and vanished in a swirl of smoke. Turning to Talia, I hugged her tightly before sounds of injured guards broke through my fear. Something had awoken within me.

“Stay here, Talia.”

I left her wide-eyed as I moved quickly to a guard not far from us. His neck was broken, and he was dead, but as I put my hands on him, I could only describe what I felt was faith explode within me. “Rise and be healed.”

I was astonished as the man’s neck moved back to normal and he stood. As stunned as I was, I moved quickly from guard to guard. My hands and words were all that was needed to bring them healing.

When everyone was back on their feet, I stood staring at my hands as Talia gently took hold of them.

“I have so many questions, Kaira, but only one is urgent. Are you all right, my love?”

Soldiers flooded the room and levelled their rifles at the two of us. The guards I had healed were confused and angry at the soldiers.

“This woman saved us, healed us! Put your weapons down!”

Ignoring the guards, Talia and I were ordered to our knees. We complied quickly and my hands were pulled roughly behind me and bound. Talia was separated from me as I was taken to a heavily guarded cell where I was placed and locked to a table.

I waited a long time before I heard someone yelling outside the door. “I want answers! Now!”

The door opened with a metallic clank and several U.S. Military and high-level government officials stepped inside.

The military man paced back and forth, his eyes never left me. It was the government official that sat down across from me.

“I’m Henry Landsford, Director of the U.S. Embassy here in Cairo. Do you mind telling me who you are and what happened here today?”

“Where is Talia?”

“She is in another room. She is safe and being cared for.”

“She should be here with me.”

“As far as I’m concerned, I could charge you both with terrorism.”

“You have no grounds! I came here seeking asylum in my own country.”

“We have no record of you being a U.S. citizen. Facial recognition has also failed. Who are you, why do you claim American citizenship, and once again, what the hell was all that about?”

“Talia has a flash drive with copies of videos we took that can corroborate my story. My name is Dr. William Grant. I’m an American archeologist visiting Egypt on a dig to find the first pharaoh Menes. Menes is the man that stormed your embassy and injured your guards.”

Henry rubbed his face with his hands. “You hardly look like a William to me and that man didn’t look like a desiccated mummy.”

“That’s because I was transformed by a curse to become Menes’ mistress, Nefertari, when we accidently brought Menes back to life.”

“Lock her up! I want fingerprints, DNA, and I want to know exactly who she is by morning!”

“Sir? I’m not lying. Get the flash drive and watch the video. Menes is alive and he seems to want nothing else other than me at his side to rule the world. We have seen his power. He wasn’t affected by your bullets. We’ve seen a car crash into him in Kharga and he didn’t flinch. I also want to point out, on my own behalf, that I healed your wounded.”

“Get her out of my sight!”

“Sir? Henry? Have your men take a sample of my blood and get my chromosome count. There is also work being done to see if my DNA matches the recently discovered mummy of Nefertari in Memphis. Talia has my, Dr. William Grant’s identification with her in her purse. I can tell you my bank account passwords and the amount of money I have on my credit cards. As implausible as this all sounds, it’s the truth.”

Henry didn’t say a word, but I was grabbed by two guards, taken to a room where they fingerprinted me, took a DNA swab, and a blood sample. I was then ushered into a cell. Aside for a few minutes where I was given food and water, I was left alone.

I sat on the uncomfortable cot, my leg chained to the bed frame that was bolted to the wall and floor. I stared at my hands as I recalled their healing touch. Like the Biblical stories of old, I had raised a man from the dead. Did this somehow validate everything my parents believed?

As I sat there, the room flooded with light and a man stepped out of the light towards me. This was not Menes, but rather someone, something, entirely different. His face shone and his eyes burned through to my very soul. Golden hair cascaded over his shoulders and onto his white linen robes. Around his waist was a golden sash. His presence was so powerful that I fell to my knees and averted my eyes.

“Look at me, my child.”

I slowly raised my head and forced myself to look into his eyes.

“Are you God? Have you come to punish me?”

“I am not the Lord Almighty. I am the Archangel Gabriel, and I am your father.”

I closed my eyes tightly, then reopened them to see him still standing there.

“I don’t understand.”

“I live between Earth and Heaven as a warrior against the fallen, as a guardian to those on Earth, and as a messenger of the Almighty One. There was a woman of Egypt. I protected her from the time she was a child. I watched her become a woman of incredible caring, grace, and virtue. I came to her and she conceived a baby girl. That girl, my only daughter, was named Nefertari. I shielded Nefertari from the knowledge of who she was and the powers that made her unique, but there was another that knew. Lucifer had taken an Egyptian woman and she gave birth to a son. He was named Menes.”

I was astonished and shocked to be in a room with the Archangel Gabriel and barely able to look him in his eyes, but my curiosity overcame my fear. “Nefertari never knew she was different… You called me your child, but I’m not Nefertari.” I bowed my head and once again averted my eyes.

“One day you will fully understand but know that you are as much my daughter as Nefertari had been. You were born for great things.”

“But I am no one…” My mind recalled my time with Talia and my voice became a whisper. “…a sinner… How can I…?”

“The Lord Almighty chooses whom He chooses.”

“I still don’t understand. Why have I been changed into a woman?”

“The children of angels and daughters of men are not like others. They belong to Earth and the realm between Earth and Heaven. Everything about your life has led to this moment. You released my daughter’s soul only to absorb her essence and to become that which is needed.”

“What does God need of me?”

“The world will fall to Menes’ evil ways. You are to point the people back to God.”

“God wants me to be a prophet? I’m not like Daniel, Isaiah, Moses, or Samuel. I’m not even certain I believe what my parents taught me. I was trying to disprove God exists.”

“Your attempt to disprove the Almighty One was an effort on your part to absolve yourself from the religious viewpoints of the world and your parents. However, you have always believed. You are correct in that you are not like prophets of old. You are more than Daniel, Isaiah, Moses, and Samuel, for they were merely human vessels. You are not.”

“How can I be a prophetess for God when I don’t even know why I’m here and why God created us in the first place?”

“You know this. You came to the answer when you were thirteen years old. I was there watching over you.”

“Thirteen? That was the year I went to the church summer camp.”

“A church pastor was leading a discussion about the character of God and why He created mankind.”

“I remember… Others were suggesting God wanted to rule, or that God wanted people to worship Him.”

“It was you that pointed out that the only character trait of God that was consistent with a perfect being, would be love.”

“…that God created us to share what was already perfect. But how can I, a sinner, be God’s prophetess? Talia and I…”

“What does the Almighty One desire from us?”

I was confused and my worldview shattered, but the words rolled effortlessly from my lips. “Our love.”

“And what does He desire secondly?”

“That we love one another. But Sodom and Gomorrah…?”

“The people of Sodom and Gomorrah had fallen into lust of each other. They put sexual relations as an idol before the Almighty One, and that was the sin they were punished for. Had they not been punished, their sin would have spread to others, keeping more of mankind from uniting with God. It is the desires of the self and self-reliance that block one from coming to Him.”

I pondered that for a second before refocusing on more important matters at hand.

“How can I stop Menes? He wasn’t hurt by bullets or a car. He has inhuman strength and the ability to vanish.”

“His father has instructed him, but Menes’ intent, like his father’s, will always be for the ultimate destruction of God’s creation. His desire is to pull mankind away from God. You are not the creation of evil, but of good.”

“You will teach me?”

“You have all that you need. Faith.”

I almost laughed. “Faith?”

“You felt it when you healed the guards. You must believe.”

“If I believe hard enough that none of this happened, will time revert, and I could become William Grant again?”

“You cannot change the past. You are as you always will be for the rest of your days.”

“There is no going back then. What am I supposed to do?”

“Your first step is to leave this place. Then listen to your inner voice, the voice that is connected to the realm between Earth and the Almighty One. It will guide you.”

I pointed to my ankle that was bound to the bed frame. “Leaving here might be a challenge.”

“It wasn’t a challenge for Paul and Silas when they were in prison. You are highly favored, Kaira. The Lord is with you.”

Gabriel vanished, leaving me wondering if I only dreamed the encounter. On a good note, at least he didn’t tell me I would conceive a child.

I looked at the metal bracelet around my ankle and the steel door to my cell. Faith…

“Unlock.”

Nothing.

I closed my eyes and touched the slightly warm metal, willing it to unlock.

Nothing.

I sat down on the cot and pulled my knees to my chest whispering to myself. “I’m a Nephilim, a child of Gabriel and a human woman. I’m supposed to be a prophet and turn people back to God, and yet I don’t have faith. I have faith that the cot I am on is designed to support my weight and I trust that knowledge, so I sit on it. But faith to unlock doors and let me walk out of this embassy without being shot is something of a different nature. Paul and Silas didn’t have faith…” I paused as I tried to put myself in their situation. “They didn’t have faith that the doors would all open… They had faith that God would work everything out as it was supposed to be. I don’t have the power to heal, but somehow I connected to God’s will for that to happen.”

I leaned back against the cold wall with a smug smile on my face. “If you want me to leave here, God, then you will take care of everything.”

I waited for an Earthquake, the doors to pop open, and my chains to fall off, but nothing of the like happened. I waited nearly an hour and still nothing happened.

I frowned and tapped my fingers against my forehead. What was it about the guards? How was I able to heal them? I had compassion for them and concern for their well-being and their families. I felt I was somewhat responsible. I acted and I could feel my actions were in alignment with God’s will. He wanted them healed and I was the bridge… I can’t simply sit back as that suggests I have no will of my own. God doesn’t force me to love Him for that wouldn’t be love at all.

I felt it within me. A stirring combination of action and belief. Glancing up at the camera in the corner, I waved at it. The red light went out, my ankle bracelet unlocked, and the door to my cell opened. I was aligning my actions and belief with God’s will for me to leave. It wasn’t much different than anything else I tried, but it was the combination.

I stepped out into the hallway. The guards were gone. Camera lights blinked off, and a door opened to my left revealing a table with Talia’s purse. Taking the purse, I moved to another locked door and placed my hand on the handle. It unlatched at my touch. Inside the room I found Talia.

I rushed to her side and hugged her. “We’re free to leave, Talia.”

Removing her ankle cuff, I took her hand in mine, pulled her behind me, and back into the hallway.

“They’re just letting us go?”

“I wouldn’t necessarily say the embassy is letting us go.”

“What do you mean?”

We turned the corner and I looked up at a camera with the light still glowing red. “I assume you’re recording this. We’re here to help, but we need to be away from here to be in the right place. Please know there is more going on than you realize and, in the days to come, you will understand.”

The red light blinked off and the door at the end of the hallway opened. I pulled a wide-eyed Talia through the doorway into a room filled with guards and soldiers, but they were all soundly asleep. We walked straight through the middle of the room and the door at the far end opened for us. This let us out and onto the steps near the front of the embassy.

“Are you doing this, Kaira?”

“Yes, partly.”

Two guards remained on duty and alert at the entrance to the embassy, but we walked past them as if we were invisible. Once around the corner, a Land Rover pulled up.

“May I ask what you two are doing out here at three in the morning?”

Talia looked at Hazim, but she was still quite perplexed. “Ask wonder girl.”

“Wonder girl?”

I opened the door for Talia. “Perfect timing, Hazim. Can you take us to Talia’s apartment?”

Hazim looked at me via the rearview mirror. “I had this strange compulsion… I woke up and felt a sense of urgency to drive to the embassy.”

Talia carefully took my hand in hers. “What happened back there?”

“Where do you want me to start explaining from?”

“After Menes came through the door.”

***

Our drive had been quick and Hazim came with us into Talia’s apartment. He sipped coffee and Talia sat close to me, but it felt like she was afraid to touch me. It had been a difficult story to share and I was afraid the events of the past day had frightened her away from me. I yearned for her touch, but I steadily prepared myself for the worst.

Hazim looked conflicted. “Gabriel… As in the angel Gabriel of Daniel?”

Taking my eyes off Talia’s, I turned to Hazim. “Unless there are multiple Gabriel’s, then I would assume so. He claimed Nefertari, and now me, as his daughter. That I am a creature of Earth and the realm between Earth and Heaven. He told me God wants me to guide the people back to him.”

“But you’re a woman. All the prophets were men.”

“Miriam, Huldah, Deborah, and Noadiah were all considered prophets.”

“But to be heard and respected, one would need to be a man. Only a man can be a priest of God.”

“I don’t know or understand why this is happening, Hazim. Gabriel said he hid the knowledge of who Nefertari was from her. In my dreams and visions of the past, Nefertari didn’t seem to think she was different than anyone else. She feared and loathed Menes even though they…” I shuddered. “I admit I feel different. Not just because I’m now a woman, but somehow connected at a deeper level to powers beyond sight. I felt something when Menes touched me, and I believe that in some way I’m to counter Menes. I’m his opposite.”

“If you are God’s prophet, can you cast His fire down upon this table?”

I looked at the table and realized doing this would be against God’s will. Miraculous signs and wonders were a way of demonstrating to many people God’s sovereign power. It wasn’t a parlor trick. I felt I was subtly and slowly attuning to God and His desires. “Perhaps, but I will remind you of Moses when he struck the stone and commanded water to come forth. Although water appeared, he had sinned against God in the process and was never allowed into the promised land.”

“This is all difficult to believe, Kaira. Your female brain is weak and susceptible to whimsical fancy.”

Talia sat forward and stared at Hazim. “I was there, Hazim. I saw Menes wipe out a squadron of guards, withstand bullets, and kill a man with barely any effort. I watched Kaira bring that same man back from death, fully restored from his injuries all by a single touch and a word. Tonight, we walked out of the U.S. embassy with doors and chains unlocking and guards asleep. These things just don’t happen and to hear you belittle Kaira like this is beneath you.”

“I mean no disrespect to either of you. Everything about this situation has challenged my own beliefs and my male-dominated culture. I should be going. If you need anything, I am here to help.”

Hazim stood and left. For a moment I felt utterly alone until Talia threw her arms around me.

“You were amazing at the embassy. I feel so blessed to be yours.”

“Are you certain you feel that way, Talia? You seemed so distant when Hazim was here.”

“Showing my love for you in front of any man in Egypt is dangerous. It was all I could do to keep myself from smothering you in kisses.”

“I thought after what happened you might be afraid of me.”

“I’m no weak-minded female subject to whimsical fancy. I gave you my heart and with it a covenant that is unbreakable. With all this new revelation about yourself, are you feeling any different?”

“I feel oddly calm and nonchalant about it all. I spoke face to face with Gabriel, an angel. I should be running away to hide somewhere. Gabriel said things to me that were comforting and final. He said I am as I need to be and that there is no going back to the old me. While I had already surmised this might be the case, the confirmation has helped me look forward and not to the past.”

“I told you that you weren’t like Menes.” Talia reached out and stroked my hair. “Look at you… my angel. Maybe you’re my guardian angel.”

That made me laugh. “Unless guardian angels have been given a new job description keeping those they are responsible for in constant danger, then I’m frightened how my quarter millennium appraisal with my boss will go.”

“I love that your humor is returning. What do we do now, or maybe the better question is what will happen next?”

I sat down and waited for Talia to sit down next to me. I laid my head on her shoulder and felt her arms wrap around me. “I probably read through the Bible more than a dozen times growing up. I listened to preaching three times a week and went to Sunday school and weeknight classes. I always imagined the prophets hearing God’s voice clearly in their minds or having two-way conversations giving them directions. Maybe that will come, but I don’t feel compelled to do anything now.”

“If we use Moses as an example, like you, he had his burning bush moment before he was sent to free his people in Egypt. He hesitantly confronted the pharaoh. Perhaps you need to do the same.”

“I expect that will be the case, but I don’t even know where Menes is.”

“In the meantime, let’s see what clothes I have that might fit you until we can find a time to go shopping. I can’t have my angel walking around with only one outfit.”

***

By late morning we had gone through most of Talia’s clothing and found several outfits I could wear as my dress was in dire need of cleaning. We had shopped for some food and a few essentials and had just put these items away when there was a strong knock at the door.

I could see fear in Talia’s eyes.

“Do you think it is Menes, Kaira?”

“He doesn’t seem to be the knocking type.”

We both moved to the door and opened it together. Henry Landsford, Embassy Director was standing there looking rather frustrated.

“Mr. Landsford. To what do we owe the pleasure?”

“You both know perfectly well why I’m here.”

Talia looked at me, then remembered her Egyptian hospitality. “Please, come in. Would you like some coffee?”

Henry’s face softened a little. “Yes. Thank you.”

Talia busied herself making coffee, while I offered Henry a seat. I sat down on the couch across from him.

“Quite frankly, Miss Grant, if that is indeed your name, I’m at a loss for words. Who helped you escape last night?”

“God.”

“This isn’t helping. I want names.”

“I just gave you one. I’m sure you have access to the camera footage. Who else did you see?”

“This isn’t a game, Miss Grant. I could have you extradited.”

“Extradited? For what crime?”

“You must have had inside help.”

“You could say that. God is everywhere.”

Henry sighed heavily. “I have people breathing down my neck for answers. You don’t appear to be a threat unless you’re with that maniac that walked past our security yesterday and took out our guards.”

“I can assure you that Menes and I, while connected to something larger, are not on the same side.”

“We’ve been following up on your story, but I’m having a hard time believing any of it. Why did you come to the Embassy?”

“I told you this already. You saw the video footage of when we found Menes’ tomb?”

“Yes, but that can be forged.”

“It’s hard to forge a man walking into the Embassy and taking out your guards. I told you everything and I have been truthful. I assume you have my blood results by now?”

“We would like more to confirm. Who came into your cell? The camera showed a flash of light, then nothing for nearly twenty minutes.”

“You wouldn’t believe me.”

Henry sat back and glared at me as Talia came in from the kitchen and set down some coffee and biscuits for everyone.

“You should believe Kaira, Mr. Landsford. There may come a time when you need her support.”

“What aren’t you both telling me?”

I leaned forward. “Menes is the son of an Egyptian woman and Lucifer. His desire is to destroy God’s creation and turn people from God. I don’t know what he is capable of, but he will be hard to stop.”

“I’ll humor you, Miss Grant. Let’s say that Menes is the spawn of Satan. Why exactly did he come to the Embassy looking for you?”

“He wants me at his side.”

Talia grabbed my hand. “And probably to have babies.”

I glanced at Talia, smiled, and gently squeezed her hand.

“He wants you because you’re special?”

“You must have seen the blood results. I’m not exactly human.”

“What exactly are you? An alien?”

“Nefertari was the daughter of an Egyptian woman and an angel. A Nephilim. It is what I have become.”

“Pfft. Granted your beauty is otherworldly, but seriously?”

Henry’s phone rang, he listened for a minute, then hung up without saying anything.

“Turn on the television.”

Talia found her remote and the television came to life. Menes appeared on the screen. I took the remote from Talia and changed the channels to see the same image on every station.

“I am Menes, god of this world.”

He appeared to be looking straight at me.

“You will all bow down to me. Those that worship me will be granted life. Those that don’t will burn.”

An image of me appeared on the screen. “Nefertari, come to me and together we will rule this world.”

The image shifted back to Menes and panned out. He was standing on top of a wall near the Sphynx. Men armed with machine guns could be seen closing in on him. They opened fire and Menes turned towards them. I watched in horror as the men were scattered across the sands like leaves blowing in a strong autumn wind.

Another man stepped up next to him.

“That’s Hank!”

The image shifted to Hank.

“Dr. William Grant, Kaira, Nefertari… Whatever you are calling yourself. You can’t compete with the power of Menes. You will come to him willingly, or our followers will drag you here.”

The image vanished and regular programming returned to the screen.

Talia turned off the television. Ignoring the fact that a man was in the room, she cupped my face. “No! I won’t let him take you.”

Henry’s phone rang again.

“Yes… I’m sitting across from her now. What do you expect me to do? She walked out of a locked cell and our Embassy. Yes, sir. I understand.” Henry hung up the phone. “That was my boss. He wants me to take you into custody. For your own safety, of course.”

“Your boss knows about me and that you’re here? You didn’t want to provide me identification, and now you want me to come with you for my own protection?”

“Menes’ attack on our embassy and your blood results and video footage were all provided to him by me. Will you come with me willingly?”

“Considering you have no jurisdiction here, I’m under no obligation to go with you. However, I want you to know I’m here to help, even if I’m not certain how.”

“If you walked out of the embassy with God’s help, how do you not know how to help us.”

“I grew up the son of a pastor and was taught all the stories of the Bible. I can tell you when I came here, I wanted to prove to myself that God didn’t exist. What has happened has put my beliefs in direct conflict with what the truth may be. Last night, I felt oddly at peace with my actions. Today, I’m not sure I could accomplish the same thing. I’m sure you have lots of questions, but I bet you I have more.”

“U.S. citizens were attacked yesterday, and you were there. You’re somehow connected to whatever that thing is out there. Help us understand what we’re dealing with and we can offer you protection.”

“Protection? You do realize that Menes was considered a god? I’m not sure you can protect me from Menes, but I do want answers and perhaps if we work together, we can find some.”

Henry stood. “All right then. I have a car outside.”

“I want your assurance that Talia will be free to go at any time.”

“At this time there is no reason to suspect Talia.”

Talia stood and slipped her hand into mine. “Where Kaira goes, I go.”

I was surprised that there were several armed guards waiting for us as we stepped out into the street. One leaned close to Henry Landsford and whispered something to him.

Henry turned to both of us. “I was just been informed that there is a situation brewing near the embassy. We should be fine, but citizens are coming unglued with the recent television announcements by Menes.”

“Why would people go to the embassy?”

“When the networks came back on, they began playing cellphone video footage of you and Menes at the embassy.”

“Can’t we go someplace else?”

“We can get there safely and once inside we should have no problems.”

I frowned and slid into the back seat. I felt my life being torn from my control minute by minute. Talia slipped into the seat next to me and our small caravan of vehicles moved steadily towards the embassy. As we drove, I stared out the windows to see people coming out of buildings and into the streets. Some carried signs stating Menes was their god or Menes was Mohammed reincarnated. Others were calling upon the goddess Nefertari. None of the messages gave me any comfort at all.

As we neared the embassy, our caravan came to a sudden stop. A large crowd had gathered, and many people pressed against the vehicles. At first it all seemed peaceful, but then a man spotted me inside the car and started shouting and hitting the car. He was yelling in Arabic. “It’s Nefertari! Bring her to Menes for a reward!”

Talia screamed as the car began to rock back and forth and rocks were smashed against the windows.

Placing my hand on the windowpane, I closed my eyes. I could feel the hatred, the alignment with evil all around me. I gently whispered out a prayer. “Protect us.”

When I opened my eyes again, a bolt of lightning came from the cloudless sky and hit the ground next to us. People scattered in all directions.

Henry yelled out. “Go!”

The cars lurched forward and into the relative safety of the embassy compound. Talia pulled me aside when we got out of the car.

“Was that you?”

“I’m not sure. I’m confused about everything right now.”

“Well, thank God, your angel friend, or whoever you’re connected to for me. I thought we were done for.”

Henry came up and took my arm. “Let’s get you inside. We don’t need you standing out here to attract more crazies.”

We maneuvered through the gun-toting guards until we came to a large interior room. A man spotted me and came straight towards me. His walk was quick and purposeful, and his gaze was intense. He stopped a few feet away and dropped to his knees.

“What do I call you? How do you wish to be worshipped?”

I was shocked and frightened at the same time. “I’m not God to be worshipped. Please… stand.”

“Yesterday, you healed me. You raised my friend from the dead. We both have families… Tell me what I must do.”

“I’m no one. I have no power. I’m nothing special. Please, live your life, enjoy your families.”

“You say you have no power and yet you healed me completely.”

I lowered my eyes to the ground as feelings of unworthiness washed over me. Seeing my discomfort, Henry interrupted.

“Back to your station, soldier. Kaira, please follow me.”

I was grateful that the guard never persisted and headed back to his post. Henry led the way through the building until we came to a conference room. A video conference was already in session with very official looking dignitaries sitting around a table on the screen.

“Everyone, I want to introduce you to Kaira Grant.”

A few people on the screen leaned forward as if to get a better look. One older man chuckled. “So, this Menes guy wants her? I think I can understand that. What can you tell us Henry? What’s happening over there in Egypt?”

“It’s rather complicated, sir.”

“Which is why we are having this conference call with you. We don’t have all day here, Henry. Perhaps Miss Grant can try to explain?”

I hated video conferences as I never felt like I was looking at the right person. “I’m not entirely certain any answers I give will be satisfactory. I’ll provide you the Cliff Notes version. On an archeological dig in Kharga, I brushed what could have been Nefertari’s heart while I was in Menes’ tomb. Mene’s reanimated himself in effect transforming me and now he wants me by his side.”

The man leaned closer to the camera; his face filled the screen. “Transformed you into what, exactly?”

I shrugged. “God’s messenger?”

“Pfft! You claim to be William Grant. William Grant of Texas, son of deceased Elizabeth and Chester Grant. The same William Grant that posted a blog about the non-existence of God?”

I winced. “Sounds kind of foolish now… Yes. I’m the same person… sort of. I mean, I’m still me…”

The man on the screen interrupted me. “Yeah, yeah.” He stepped away from the screen and turned back to face us again. “Henry?”

“Yes, sir?”

“I want her on the first flight back to the United States.”

Within my soul I felt this was wrong. Horrific images began to flood my mind showing me what would happen if I went back to the United States. Additional images began to show themselves as well.

“No.”

The man on the screen huffed. “You’re in no position to…”

“I said no.” The images were like pieces of a puzzle, slowly fitting together. “You are Scott Tromony. When you were five years old, you fell off your bicycle. Your mother came outside and carried you indoors. She didn’t say a word, even though you were afraid because you were riding your bike against your mother’s wishes. She bandaged up your knee and cooked you macaroni and cheese, your favorite meal. To this day, you have never understood why she didn’t discipline you.”

“How…?”

“Mr. Tromony, sir. I can’t explain everything, but I need to be here right now. Just as I could see what happened to you when you were young, I feel something is about to happen. Something very bad and if I’m not here, then it will get much worse. As much as I would love a chance to go home and find normalcy, I need to stay here.”

He leaned in close to the camera again. “Henry, I don’t care how you do it. Get her on a plane even if you need to put her in chains.”

“No! You don’t understand!”

“I don’t think you understand, Miss or Mister Grant. If you are connected to this Menes person and he just shut down all communication channels in the United States, then we are damn well not going to let you out of our grasp. We’re talking about the largest breach of our national security in the history of the United States and you know more than you’re telling us. You are now a prisoner of the United States.”

Guards hesitated, but Henry nodded to them. They flanked me on both sides. Talia lashed out at them.

“How could you! Don’t touch Kaira! She saved your lives yesterday. Henry! You gave us your word!”

Henry looked down and shook his head. “I’m sorry. I have my orders.”

“Take Miss Asfour with her. Anyone that is involved are to be considered terrorists.”

I struggled against the guards that pulled my arms behind my back and cuffed my wrists. “You said she was free to go! Let her go and I will come peacefully.”

Scott Tromony smirked on the screen. “What are you going to do about it? You are a terrorist, linked to that madman and his flunky Hank Frazetti. Guantanamo Bay has special places for people like you. I want them here by tonight, Henry.”

The screen went blank as I turned angrily to Henry. “You lied to us.”

“I had no idea this would be his stance, Kaira. It will be all right. You will be safe from Menes, and I am positive you will be proven innocent back in the United States.”

“I’ve seen how these things get out of control, Henry. First, the media will roast me. Second, I have no identification or history which will suggest I am complicit with Menes. I’ll either be made a scapegoat or the government will turn me into an experiment. Either way, Talia and I will not be safe. You need to listen to me. I might be the only person in the world that can stop Menes.”

Henry looked away. “It’s not my decision. Guards get them in the car. We’re heading to the airport.”

Talia rushed to my side even as guards reached for her. “Do something, Kaira!”

I closed my eyes and tried to quiet my thoughts, but I couldn’t focus on any inner voice. “I don’t know how to control it, Talia. It just seems to happen when everything is perfectly lined up. What would we do anyways?”

Talia pulled against the guards, but they held her fast. “You lying imbeciles! Kaira saved your people and this is how you repay her? Do you really think it will go well for you siding with the spawn of Satan? Because this is exactly what you are doing. Do you know that Menes will stop at nothing to get to Kaira? He was unhurt by bullets. I have no doubt that before you get Kaira on a plane, Menes will wipe you out.”

The guards looked aghast. There was real fear in their eyes.

One of the guards spoke up. “Maybe she’s right, Henry. This all feels like end-of-days stuff going on. I have a family to think of.”

Henry looked back to the blank screen before turning back to me. “Kaira, you alluded to something bad about to happen. Do you have any idea what that is?”

I shook my head. “It’s just a feeling. I need to start moving towards the Sphynx. Deep down, I know I must confront Menes.”

“I’m going to lose my job over this.”

“Better your job than your life, Henry. Talia’s right. If you try to take me from Egypt, Menes will not allow that to happen and everyone around me will likely die. I’ve seen things. Pictures in my mind of what will happen if I don’t stay. If what I glimpsed was truly possible, then the end-of-days would look like a Sunday picnic in the park.”

“Release them both. I can offer you a ride to the Giza Necropolis assuming we can get out of here safely.”

I nodded. Talia took my hand in hers. “I don’t want to lose you, Kaira. Are you certain?”

“I know I need to head towards the Sphinx, but I have no idea what will happen when we get there.”

“All right, but I’m not leaving your side.”

***

Guards pushed back the growing crowds allowing our vehicle to move out onto the main street. We turned onto El Tahrir, crossed the Nile River, then turned south. We were closing in on Al Haram Street that would take us to Giza when the radio came on in the car.

“It is taking too long, Nefertari. Your delay has caused the deaths of many.”

Dread filled me. “Turn onto Salah Salem!”

Henry ordered the driver to turn.

“What’s going on, Kaira?”

“Menes is making a statement. Maybe I can stop it.”

We didn’t travel far down the road when I felt a tug on my spirit. “Stop the car!”

“We’re in the middle of the road!”

“Stop now!”

The car skidded to a stop. I threw the car door open and ran across the busy street. I halted my steps when I heard the screams. Directly ahead of me was the Church of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel. Flames erupted from the roof.

I ran across the stone-tiled patio. As I approached the front doors, I could hear the people inside banging on them. I reached for them only to have the doors burst into flames.

Talia screamed behind me as I reached for the doors again. The flames wrapped around my hands and yet I felt no pain. With a push, the doors opened inward, and a blast of heat and fire washed over me without affecting me.

I called upon God to put the flames out and to heal the people inside, but my faith faltered as I stepped inside the burning church. Around me hundreds of corpses stared lifeless towards the heavens. Their blackened bodies crackled with heat and fell to dust at my feet. I stood with shaking anger but without concern for the flames that danced around me, hot enough to melt the windows from their stone frames.

Talia screamed. “Kaira!” I turned back towards her. She was holding her arms up to protect herself from the heat. I was standing in the middle of an inferno, a mass cremation. Talia beckoned me towards her, and I slowly made my way back to her. When I reached her, I fell to my knees as she wrapped her arms around me. I wept.

I felt Talia’s hands on me, checking me for burns or injuries. I fell further until my face was almost touching the ground. Wracking sobs came from me.

“Talia! Kaira!”

Henry’s voice rose above the crowd. I lifted my tear-filled eyes to Talia.

“I failed them.”

Talia’s tears fell as well as she looked at the gutted church.

Henry looked at the church and to the crowd that was surrounding us. “Kaira, we should get you to safety. The crowd is growing.”

“I’m not worthy of protection. Those people died because of my lack of faith.”

Suddenly a light shone forth and I heard the gathering crowd of people gasp and fall back.

“No, my child. It wasn’t your lack of faith.”

I looked up into Gabriel’s face. “I couldn’t save them. I couldn’t put the flames out.”

“It was not your lack of faith, my daughter.”

“Then why did they die?”

“It was necessary.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Menes and his father must believe their power is absolute and uncontested. This was not the time nor place for you to rise in your power. The world needs to see and understand the truth of what Menes is.”

“And what is that truth?”

“That he is evil and a sacrifice must be made before Menes’ power can be taken from him.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You will, in time.”

With a flash of light, Gabriel vanished.

Talia fell to her knees beside me. “Was that…?”

“Gabriel.”

“As in the Archangel Gabriel… You’re father.”

I nodded.

“Holy…Sh.. Uhm… What did he mean when he said a sacrifice must be made?”

I looked back at the blackened church. “I have no idea. What more of a sacrifice could be made?”

Henry and the driver pulled us up to our feet. “What happened? What was that light?”

“You didn’t see or hear?”

“Just a blinding light. I heard nothing.”

“Maybe that’s for the best. I think we need to continue to the Sphinx.”

Henry shook his head. “I thought you said you could stop him.”

“I am just a piece of a larger picture. Perhaps I still need to learn more about what I can do, or my faith needs to be stronger. As horrible and callous as this sounds, more people are likely to die that I won’t be able to do anything about.”

“I won’t deny that there are things outside of my understanding, Kaira. You walked inside a burning building and were unharmed. If you feel a need to confront Menes, then I will help you.”

***

The ride to the Giza Necropolis didn’t take long. There were people that were flocking there and others running away. Egyptian military were trying to control the crowds and reach Menes.

I stepped from the car expecting to see the Sphynx larger than life, but it was lower than the parking lot and ruins of a temple blocked much of it from view. With all the people both surging forward and running away, it was chaos. Helicopters flew overhead, but it appeared the military didn’t want to fire on their priceless ruins.

People shouted when they spotted me. Those pushing to move towards Menes parted to make a way for me. Those running, paused only long enough to pray for my salvation.

Talia stayed at my side, but Henry was cut off by the crowd as they pulled in behind us. Talia leaned in close and whispered to me.

“This is unnerving. Except for the people trying to get away, everyone is blindly facing Menes. I don’t even know how they sense we’re approaching to create space. Are you sure about this?”

“I must confront Menes, but I have no idea what will happen. You should go back to Henry.”

“I can’t leave your side. Please don’t ask me to.”

I slipped her hand into mine. Grim determination settled heavily in the pit of my stomach. The crowd continued to move open allowing us to be guided to Menes. Barricades that normally blocked entrances to protected areas had been ripped away by the crowd. We walked forward where the people parted for us.

We came upon a paved opening right before the feet of the Sphynx. Menes’ smile was visible even though he stood on the head of the massive structure. He spoke out, his voice clearly heard by all.

“I called for Nefertari, and she comes to do my bidding. She is your goddess and will rule at my side.”

I was about to say something when the crowd pushed back and away from us. Hank stepped forward.

“You shouldn’t keep Menes waiting like you did, William. What should I call you?”

“Her name is Kaira, Hank. What the hell are you doing?”

“I told you before, it would be smart to get into Menes’ good graces. I recommend you both follow suit. He is immensely powerful. A god. Those that follow him will be rewarded.”

I finally found my voice. “Do you even know who he is, Hank?”

“Who cares?”

“He is the son of Lucifer.”

“That’s not my concern.” Hank shouted for all those around to hear. “Bow to your god and master, Nefertari.”

I didn’t need to raise my voice. It was empowered by God so that all could hear no matter how far they were away or what language they spoke. “There is only one God, and Menes is not Him. I will not bow to evil. Turn from this wicked man for he only brings pain and death, separation from the only true God.”

I saw the scowl on Menes’ face. He vanished in a puff of smoke and appeared near us.

Now that he was away from the Sphynx, I heard several shots ring out simultaneously. They didn’t just aim at Menes but also me. I felt the slightest breeze from the bullets, but they vanished before touching me.

“Don’t shoot! Your weapons cannot hurt him.” I spoke hoping the military snipers would stop. They didn’t.

Menes stepped closer to me and raised his hand. One helicopter and a dozen soldiers burst into flames. He smiled as he lowered his hand.

“You weren’t like this when we were together, Nefertari. You were submissive. Come to me. You will want for nothing. I will give you the world. Whatever you wish and I will grant it to you.”

“If I wished for you to die, would you do that for me?”

He scowled, his eyes focusing on Talia.

“Is this who you have chosen? This pathetic creature? You can’t even protect her. A god can grant life or death. Can you, Nefertari? I can.”

Talia looked at me, fear flooding her eyes as they rolled up in her head and she fell at my feet.

I screamed and fell on top of her. I shouted to God to restore her. My anger seethed as I cried.

“You see, Nefertari, you can’t stop me. Perhaps you need another demonstration.”

Two men pulled a young boy forward. He fought hard, kicking, and screaming. I looked up into Menes’ evil face as I cradled Talia’s head in my lap.

“You’re a monster.”

“I’m a god.”

The boy fell to the ground, dead and I screamed my wrath again.

“Give in to it, Nefertari. Give in to the anger. Lash out.”

My heart wrenched and with it came an epiphany. It wasn’t anger that moved God, it was love. I had to love the people like God loved them. I looked at the young boy. “Rise.” The boy stirred to life.

I stroked Talia’s face that was still wet with my tears and turned my eyes upon Menes. “You won’t win, Menes. You can’t win.” Talia gasped to life.

Menes took a step back. “This isn’t over Nefertari. You will submit to me.” He vanished, taking Hank with him.

Talia looked a little bewildered. “What happened?”

“Later, sweetheart. We still need to get out of here safely.”

The angry crowed pressed forward. I pulled Talia to me and took the boy’s hand. The crowd was like an ocean, swaying and rolling forward like waves waiting to crash onto the sand.

Keeping Talia and the boy close to me, I began leading us back to where Henry was parked. Menes must have not wanted me to die, at least not yet, as the mob parted again to let us pass. When we approached the parking lot, a woman shouted and waved.

The boy hugged me fiercely and called me an angel before running into what I assumed was his mother’s arms. As soon as Henry spotted us, he ran forward and escorted us into his vehicle. We sped of back towards the American Embassy.

“I heard what was said but didn’t see what happened. The crowd wouldn’t let us pass.”

“I’m sure that you can see it on the television.”

I held Talia close to me. Talia asked if they would drop us off at her apartment.

Henry frowned. “What aren’t you telling me?”

I was still processing everything, but Talia shared some.

“The military were shooting at both Menes and Kaira. Menes burned the soldiers and blew up a helicopter. Menes then wanted Kaira to yield to him, to publicly kneel and worship him as a god. She refused and then I can’t remember what happened after that.”

I pulled Talia to me and struggled with my emotions. Seeing her dead at my feet hurt me beyond anything I could possibly imagine. Even thinking about it brought me to tears.

“Menes left after I did a few things, but he promised I would submit.”

“Did some things… Care to elaborate?”

“No.”

Henry shook his head. “We have accommodations at the embassy, and I would feel better if you were there, but, I’m not certain if I still have a job.”

“I don’t think it will matter where we stay right now. I need some time alone with Talia.”

They stopped at Talia’s apartment and we got out of the car.

“Call me. Please.”

“We will. Thank you, Henry.”

We watched them drive away. As soon as we entered Talia’s apartment and closed the door behind us, I fell apart. I grabbed Talia with a fierceness, afraid of losing her, afraid of losing her again. I held her tightly and kissed her repeatedly. My hands held her face and my tears mingled with my lips as I kissed her over and over. I fell to her feet and wrapped my arms around her waist as I wept.

“Kaira? Love? What’s wrong?”

“I… lost you.”

“I’m here.”

“No… Menes… He killed you… He killed you and my heart stopped…”

“I’m alive. I’m not dead.”

“You were dead, Talia. God raised you.”

“I was dead?”

“I wanted to destroy the world. I no longer wished to live. I lost you and everything good in this world ended for me.”

Talia knelt and held me until my wracking sobs abated.

***

It had taken all afternoon and night for me to settle myself. I clung to Talia the entire time as if every second mattered, because deep down, I knew they did. I felt it deep within my spirit. A sacrifice was needed and after what I had just experienced, seeing Talia dead at my feet, I knew Talia would live through that soon enough.

The next morning, Talia turned off the television. Her expression was somber, her face white. The news had played and replayed yesterday’s events showing Talia’s death multiple times.

“I really did die.”

“And my life became meaningless at that point.”

“I can’t imagine how horrific that would be if the situation were reversed. I wouldn’t be able to survive it. We’ve known each other such a short time, but you are everything to me. I get choked up just imagining what I would feel if anything happened to you.”

I wanted to tell her everything would be all right, but I couldn’t lie to her and saying anything would make her worry. Throughout the day, I continued to stay so close to her that I was nearly touching her.

It was the morning of the second day since the confrontation at the Sphynx that I knew Menes was on the move and my time was limited. I gently stroked Talia’s face to wake her.

Her eyes popped open and her lips curled into a smile. “I love waking up next to you.”

I kissed her tentatively. “You need to get up.”

“What’s wrong? I can hear it in your voice.”

The phone rang and I answered it. I pressed a button to put Henry on speakerphone.

“…on television again. You better watch this.”

Talia rolled from bed and turned the television on. The camera was panning out from Menes. The Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem was in the background.

“Nefertari. You have power, but you cannot stop me. You will come and kneel at my feet, or you will force me to release the ten plagues of Moses on all those that don’t pledge their allegiance to me. Millions will die because of you. Economies will tumble. This is your last chance. If you yield to me, I will spare everyone. You have two days before the first curse is released.”

Talia turned off the television and turned to me. She either didn’t care or forgot the phone was still on.

“You knew. That’s why you have been so filled with love and so morose at the same time. You can’t give in to him. I won’t lose you. I don’t care if the world is destroyed.”

Her hands were on my face as Henry interrupted us.

“Kaira. What are you going to do? Israel sent their military to perform a surgical strike. They were wiped out. Fifty men and women were slaughtered and now are hanging over the edge of the Western Wall. Short of a missile or nuclear strike, we are running out of options.”

Talia stared into my eyes and mouthed the word no. “You can’t yield to him, Kaira.”

“If I don’t go, millions around the world will die. I’ve seen it. I must go, but there is another option to yielding to him.”

Talia shook her head. “No!”

Henry’s voice interrupted us. “Kaira. We can get you to Jerusalem.”

“No!” Talia screamed.

***

The flight from Cairo to Jerusalem wasn’t long. We landed in a large parking area cordoned off and surrounded by Israeli military. I stepped from the helicopter, my white dress flapping in the wind the blades created. Reaching back, I helped Talia step down. Henry followed and led us all towards dignitaries and officials. He shook their hands and introduced me.

“I’m sure you have seen and know who this is already. This is Kaira Grant, or Nefertari according to Menes.”

One of the leaders tipped his head towards me. “My name is Eitan Peretz. I only wish we could meet under different circumstances. It is not our desire to have you or anyone sacrifice themselves to this creature.”

“She wouldn’t have to if you did your job!” Talia burst into tears.

Eitan glanced sadly towards Talia. “We will be ready to protect Kaira but I suspect you know more than anyone there may be little we can do.”

I pulled Talia to my side. She buried her head against my shoulder.

Eitan turned back to me. “We are ready to escort you to the Temple Mount.”

I looked north to the old city of Jerusalem. The golden Dome of the Rock glistened in the sunlight. Even from this vantage point, I could see the throngs of people packing the grounds. Dozens of bodies in dark military gear hung over the side of the Western Wall, their blood streaked the stones beneath them. Helicopters, both media and military flew above the area.

“I’m ready.”

We were led to armored vehicles and once we were seated, the convoy wound its way through the twisted streets. Talia cried on my shoulder the whole way. The drive felt interminably long but only lasted twenty minutes.

Eitan opened the door for us. “This is as far as we can go. You will need to walk from here.”

I nodded. “Give us a moment of privacy please.”

I waited until the soldiers and Henry turned away and gave Talia and me some space. I pulled her shaking form into my arms.

“You don’t have to do this, Kaira.”

“Gabriel said that a sacrifice must be made. I believe this is what is necessary to end Menes’ reign of terror.”

I led Talia to a low stone wall and sat us both down. I kissed her. “When we first met, I was lost. I was looking for answers to questions I had struggled with my entire life. I was motivated by my pride. I now realize how broken I was. It took a curse, Menes’ reanimation, and you to make me whole and allow me to understand what real love is. I have no idea what or how things will transpire. I love you, Talia, with every cell in my body. I pray we will have a chance to live the life I so desperately desire with you.”

“I will love you for all eternity, my Kaira, my beloved.”

A flash of light appeared and Gabriel stood before us once again.

“My daughter. Do not fear Menes. Evil will not triumph over good.”

Talia knelt at his feet. “Please. I cannot live without her.”

“Talia… You are highly favored. Kaira will return to you.”

Gabriel vanished with another flash of light. Talia stood and with trembling lips, kissed me.

Henry interrupted us. “It’s time, Kaira. Talia, you need to stay with us.”

Talia’s fingers held mine until the last second when Henry held her back. Two soldiers flanked me and after a long glance back at Talia, I set my eyes forward. We walked through stone archways and gates before stepping onto the Temple Mount. There the soldiers backed away solemnly. Menes’ followers parted as I approached.

Halfway to where Menes stood, Hank stepped from the crowd.

“I knew you would come to your senses. You won’t regret this.”

I stopped and looked at Hank. I wasn’t angry at him. God’s love for him rose within me. “Turn your life around, Hank. You have a choice. Don’t make the biggest mistake of your life. Have an eternal perspective.”

“I am. Our god and master awaits you.”

I shivered and turned my face towards Menes. My steps were deliberate yet forced. I wanted to be anywhere but there. I stopped a dozen paces from Menes. He stood defiant. He was handsome and charisma dripped from him like dark honey, yet I was unfazed by his presence.

“Nefertari. I knew you could not let the people die. You come to me of your own free will?”

“I do.”

“Then kneel before me and I will spare everyone that opposes me. Kneel before me and call me your master. I will give you the world. Riches beyond measure. We will lead them all and usher in a new world order.”

I lifted my chin. “I kneel to God alone. Let the world be witness that you are Lucifer’s spawn. Evil incarnate. Eternal death awaits all that follow you.” My voice rose even as my heart slammed in my chest. My lip quivered from fear. “People of Earth, you must turn from your wicked ways. Return to the one and only God for there you will find your salvation.”

Some people from the crowd came to their senses and began slipping away. Menes stepped towards me. His feet slapped the stones heavily. He paused, anger poured from his dark eyes.

“That the world may know who the ultimate power is, you will suffer, Nefertari.”

He thrust his hand forward towards my chest. My hand caught his wrist and held it firm. He struggled and pressed with all his strength, but I managed to hold him back. His face twisted in anger as he screamed.

A black sword materialized in his other hand. Wisps of nauseating, black sulfurous smoke drifted up from it. Without hesitation, he slashed up and across my body. I felt my skin tear open and blood dripped freely from my wound. I let go of is hand and fell to my knees.

***

Talia watched from the distance. Her eyes flicked from the distant scene of Menes and Kaira together to the monitors that displayed closeups of the interaction.

Menes thrust his hand forward and Talia gasped and held her breath as Kaira held him back. How she could press back against Menes’ unfathomable strength was beyond Talia’s comprehension. For a moment she had hope.

Then, a dark sword appeared in Menes’ hand. He slashed upward and Talia screamed as Kaira fell. She watched in horror and Menes continued to cut, thrust, and slice into Kaira. For a moment, Kaira sat on the ground, her pristine white dress now nothing but crimson. She held up her bleeding hand and Menes sword vanished. He grabbed her upstretched arm and twisted violently. Talia heard the snapping bones from where she stood.

Talia was being held by soldiers, but nothing would stop her from going to Kaira. She spun and kicked, breaking free. She ran up through the parted crowds of people who watched in abject horror as Menes pummeled Kaira with his fists.

Talia paused as Menes looked up to watched her. He grinned as he took hold of Kaira’s hair. He tipped her head back to expose her bloody neck. The black sword formed in his hands again.

Talia ran as the blade sliced through Kaira’s neck. Kaira collapsed on the ground. Menes kicked her repeatedly. Talia felled over the crumpled form of Kaira. She pulled her into her lap and cradled her head.

She kissed Kaira’s bloodied and bruised face as Menes laughed.

“You see?” He shouted. “Your precious savior was nothing. She did not defeat me, for I am a god and you will worship me! Kneel and I might spare your worthless lives!”

The crowd slowly fell to their knees as Menes spun away from Kaira and Talia. Talia stood to her feet.

“You’re nothing! You’re no god!”

Menes turned around instantly and stood over Talia; his black smoldering sword flicked up and against her neck.

***

I opened my eyes to golden light. I was free of pain. I remembered being cut, beaten, and bruised. I recalled my bones snapping and my life ebbing agonizingly drip by drip as my blood left my battered body.

I knew instantly where I was and why I was no longer in pain.

“My precious daughter. You did everything you needed to do. The world has witnessed your defiance against the evil one. You have broken the hold he held on many. You may rest for your work is done.”

Gabriel wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. This was a place of peace and love. It was not a place for tears, and yet I felt moisture on my face. Gabriel, my father, pulled away slightly.

“You should not cry, my daughter. Your pain is gone, and your work is completed.”

“God created us to love. He created us to be in relationship. I have learned what His perfect desire is for us, but my heart breaks at the loss of Talia.”

“You will see her again. You can be with her forever when her time has come to join us. You wish to go back?”

“I must adhere to God’s plan. I long for her and Menes is still in the world destroying it and deceiving people.”

“If God granted this, what would you do?”

“I would…” My body heaved with sadness. I dropped my eyes to the ground.

Gabriel gently lifted my chin with his fingers. “Such love… Such willingness… You would sacrifice yourself again? You would suffer again?”

“As many times as was necessary.”

Gabriel held me at arms-length. “I guess I can wait a little longer to have you with me then.”

I swallowed hard. There was no denying the peace that was here. There was a desire to never leave. My heart was still on Earth, with Talia. “You’ll send me back?”

“God will, for it will demonstrate his power and turn people to Him. Know that you will be different. You can’t touch this realm without being changed forever.”

I nodded. How could I not be changed?

“Then go with my blessing. May God give you strength and courage.”

Gabriel kissed my forehead.

***

In a flash of light, I materialized in front of Menes. His dark blade fell away from Talia’s neck and he fell back with fear in his eyes. My hand reached out to wipe a tear from Talia’s cheek.

Her eyes were as wide as saucers as she looked me up and down. A slow grin appeared on her face.

“You’re back… You have… wings…”

I nodded slowly, unfurling my massive pure white wings. I knew and understood the changes that had occurred to me. I was dressed in the finest white dress with a golden sash. My wings stretched out and up.

Menes took a few more steps back. He pointed his black sword at me.

“You were dead!”

“You should know we never really die, Menes.”

“I killed you once, I can kill you again!”

A flaming sword of gold appeared in my hand. “You are not a god, Menes. Your time has come to an end. There will be no returning to this realm. You will be banished forever.”

He leapt forward and with both hands around the hilt of his sword tried to cleave me in two. For all his speed and strength, he appeared slow and sluggish to me. I blocked his blows and barely felt them collide with my blade. I kicked him back sending him tumbling end over end. I floated upward with a soft beat of my wings and dove for him. My sword flashed as it plunged though his heart. Light erupted from within him and piece by piece, he fractured and fell to the ground as black dust. The wind from my wings dispersed his remains to the winds.

My sword vanished as I turned to face the people.

“God will take you as you are, all that you require is to turn from your evil ways. He is waiting with arms open wide for your return. Accept Him and His gift before it is too late.”

I spotted Hank trying to sneak away with the crowd.

“It’s not too late for you, Hank Frazetti.”

He tipped his head and vanished into the crowd. I felt Talia’s hand slip tentatively into mine. I wrapped my wings around us, and we vanished from sight.

***

We materialized back in Talia’s apartment. My wings retracted as if they had never been there. I was now infinitely more than I was before I died, yet I feared Talia’s reaction to me. Before I belonged to this world and to the realm between Earth and Heaven. Now I belonged more to the realm of the angels than that of Earth.

Talia circled slowly around me until her face was close to mine. She stared a long time into my eyes, searching for my humanity. I bit my lower lip and a tear slipped down my cheek. That was all it took. Talia’s hands held my face firmly as she pressed forward to kiss me. We staggered together until my back was against the wall.

“I lost you, Kaira. He inflicted so much pain before you collapsed. Now… you’re whole again. Tell me this is over. Tell me you can stay with me.”

A brilliant flash of light heralded Gabriel’s arrival. Talia’s hand slipped into mine and she raised her chin.

“You can’t take her from me. I don’t care who you are.”

Gabriel smiled. “Kaira is free to choose.”

“Then I choose to stay.”

“Knowing that would be your decision, I have taken steps to make your transition easier. The world can’t know who and what you are. You did everything that was needed and you are highly cherished.”

“What steps have been taken? By transition, I hope you’re not saying I will return to my old self.”

“No. You will remain as you are. It was necessary to remove you from the minds of the people. You would not have been able to live with governments trying to get ahold of you and masses worshipping you. Only a few have kept their understanding of what transpired. If you are careful not expose to anyone that you are unique in this world, you will live a long and happy life together.”

“Thank you.” I hugged Gabriel tentatively.

He gave a chuckle and vanished. When the light dissipated, I spotted a small bundle of documents on the coffee table. Talia’s eyes followed mine and she reached for them.

“There is a U.S. passport for you and one for me as well. I see bank cards, driver’s licenses, and other identification. Our addresses are the same.”

I didn’t even look at them, rather I smiled and pulled Talia to me. “I believe our relationship has been blessed. I wouldn’t want to go against Gabriel or God’s wishes for us. What do you say? Would you like to live together?”

Talia held up her Florida driver’s license. “Did you know we have a place in Naples, Florida?”

“I didn’t, but I’m dying to see it.”

“No. No more dying for either of us. Florida will be easier for us to live together and not be in fear. I wonder if this was all part of the plan. Oh… by the way. I guess I should be asking you if you want to live with me?”

“Why is that?”

“You have a new last name. Kaira Asfour.”

My eyes flicked upward and I smiled. “I like it, and yes, I would love to live with you.”

***

In the span of two days, we packed our things. Talia quickly arranged for her place to be rented out and we purchased flights to Florida. We were in the final stages of cleaning her place when we both turned towards a knock that sounded at the door.

Neither of us were expecting anyone. I cautiously opened the door to see Henry Landsford standing there.

I looked up and down the street. Henry was alone.

“Henry. Please, come in. We would offer you some coffee, but we’re getting ready to leave.”

“After you disappeared in Jerusalem, I was confused. People didn’t know what happened or why they were there. It was as if everyone had amnesia. I started to wonder if I had dreamt it all myself. I wanted to come by and confirm I hadn’t lost my mind.”

“The amnesia thing is sort of my fault.”

“You did that?”

“No. It happened because I chose to stay here with Talia. I’m being protected.”

“But why do I remember when everyone else doesn’t?”

“I’m certain it is all part of a larger plan. You have a part to play yet and keeping that knowledge is important.”

“I have never seen such a sacrifice. What you did, to sacrifice yourself like that… It will change my life forever. The world should know what you did to save them all but I understand. You’re special.”

“No more special than anyone else.”

“I wouldn’t say that.”

“I would, because I know it to be true.”

“What happens to you both now?”

Talia came to my side and smiled. She shook Henry’s hand. “We’re moving to the United States.” She held up two passports. “It’s amazing how easy it is to get one of these when you have the right connections.”

Henry glanced at the passports skeptically and shook his head. “I’m not even going to ask. You both have a friend for life. Don’t hesitate to ask me if you ever need anything.”

“Thank you, Henry.”

Henry faced the door and paused. “And Talia?”

“Yes?”

“Take good care of this one.”

“I will. Gladly.”

***

A year had passed and life could not have been better. Not only did we have a house in Naples, Florida, but it was a beautiful home right on the beach. Every day we walked the beach together and our love for each other deepened day by day. While we didn’t need to work, I discovered I still had a job but the work was sporadic.

I snuggled into Talia’s arms as we watched the sun set from our back porch when a man in a suit stepped through the sliding glass doors of the house to where we were sitting.

“Sorry to interrupt. I rang the doorbell.”

I looked up and smiled, not at all surprised to see the man. “Can I get you anything, Henry?”

He shook his head.

Talia kissed my cheek. “I’m guessing it’s not a social visit then?”

“Sorry, Talia. Kaira will be back for breakfast.”

“What is it this time? Another demon invading New York again?”

“Just a handful of lesser demons harassing a small town not far from here. Easy peasy for Kaira.”

I stood and pulled Talia to her feet.

Talia stared into my eyes as Henry looked at his watch.

“Time waits for no one, Kaira.”

I unfolded my wings and wrapped them around Talia and me. I pulled her close and kissed her passionately.

“I’ll be back soon enough.”

“Take care, my Angel. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

I turned towards Henry and drew my flaming sword. “Ready when you are.”

Henry shook his head. “I knew something was up when I was the only one that remembered everything. I should have known there was a catch.”

“I could put in a request.”

Henry put his hands up. “No. Thank you for the offer though.”

I kissed Talia again. “Off to fight my demons again.”

“I’ll have breakfast waiting for you, my Love.”

***

***

Thank you for reading my story. I hope you enjoyed it. Take a moment to leave me a message or a quick review. I love to hear from you.

Avia Conner

up
249 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wow, two good stories so quickly

I love this story, but would love to read more. It reminds me a little bit of Michael Anderle's Bethany stories. I could even see it turned into a set of stories, like Morpheus' stories about heroines in the same world. I could see werewolves, witches, other beings being transformed and ending up working together against Hank.

That would be really cool.

I like the characters of Kaira and Talia. They were fun to read about.

Yoyo

You always seem to pack so much into your stories! You make me think and make me feel - you bring tears to my eyes of both sadness and joy - you play my emotions like a yoyo - up, down, sideways, heck even in a circle - thank you for making you stories so alive for me.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Next book?

Well written and enjoyable. Expand the concept and you have a novel. Or, write some companion stories, create a universe,and you have a story collection. Eminently publishable. Either way it’s a win win for us. So much talent is a joy to behold.

Unfair to Menes

I never thought that I would ever say that anyone could treat someone like Menes unfairly, but I was wrong. Even Menes doesn't deserve to have someone like Hank serving/ worshiping him. Menes wants to seduce, corrupt and subjugate those who who would otherwise shun him; in Hank he has a minion who makes him look almost decent in comparison.

Thanks for sharing

Deanna M August's picture

Well written, akin with Indiana Jones TG version, great read!

Aloha. Sincerely Deanna

I just can't put your novels down!

Your writing is amazing, and this story is incredible. I simply could not put it down.
Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
Hugs
Loretta

Excellently written

Well paced, good character development. I read a lot of fantasy and this is quality stuff.

Sodom and Gomorrah

It was NOT for their "perversions" that they were punished, but for the fact they FORCED their ways on others. This is the evil that was punished, those who do not like this misinterpted it.

Gumby - I'm flexible

"Imagination is more important, than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
new discoveries, is not ‘Eureka!’, but ‘that’s funny…’” - Isaac Asimov

Re: Sodom and Gomorrah

Langalf's picture

I concur with Gumby. As the prophet Ezekiel states (Ezekiel 16:49–50), "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

Kaira's relationship with Talia is based on deep love, not lust inspired by arrogance and a lack of hospitality. I think she need not fear retribution from God for her love. Indeed, it is obvious within the context of Avia's story He approved.

Another well written story from one of my favorite authors. It is not easy to write a fantasy story with elements of the Biblical narrative of the Nephilim and God's grace, but I think Avia has succeeded in combining the source material into an imaginative fantasy.

So many

Stories written how many catch the imagination. I agree with others this is a well done 1st episode.. but can bring a fantastic writer of our own Penny Lane .. Some Where Else Entirerly
hands down my favorite on going TG series!
sorry..shameful plug ment to entice a new release of the Voyage of the V..
Historical fictions will to me always win over other subjects.
This is most current

alissa

An Amazing Story!

NoraAdrienne's picture

It hit every button on my list for a Battle Royale with good vs evil. Will we see them again?

Impressive story

Thank you for sharing your skill at storytelling with us. This was fascinating and hard to put down so the length was just perfect. The warning at the header was clear and perfectly in alignment with the story. It is rare in many of the TG stories I read for a character to change against their will, but the way this one was crafted from early on I could sense a change would be necessary to get the love she desired. Much appreciated.

>>> Kay

Fantastic story

Taking me a while to read but fantastic. almost makes me believe in Angels.