A Wonderful Morning?

Printer-friendly version

I woke up to a wonderful morning. The storm and heavy rain didn’t bother me. Life was good. The day before had been remarkable. To begin with it was my first anniversary as Secretary of the Treasury. That in itself was remarkable. In my not so humble opinion I was the obvious selection based on my merits. Then there was this tiny thing that under normal circumstances would have made it impossible for me: I’m transgendered. Just for once that worked in my favor. The newly elected president needed to show how inclusive his administration was.

Of course there was friction. Less than I had expected though. The Vice-President regarded me as an abomination even if he didn’t hate me personally. Secretary of State Wilson on the other hand hated me with a vengeance. The rest were mostly friendly to neutral.

The second reason the day before was a red-letter day was that it was my first day when I was officially and legally a woman. Which also meant that I married my high school sweetheart. He had always insisted that he’d make an honest WOMAN out of me. What a way to celebrate my thirty-fifth birthday! The only thing that had marred it was that my husband, my husband, how lovely that sounded, had been offered a top position at an international oil company. I was not happy. I didn’t let that spoil the big day but one way or another I’d foil those plans.

I looked at my husband thinking about imaginative ways of waking him up when James, our “butler” knocked on the door

“Madame Secretary, the Chief-of-Staff of the President wants to speak to you. It’s urgent.”

Madame Secretary. How wonderful it was to hear that. That was the first time I had been addressed in that way. People in DC can be sticklers for protocol. If only I had known it would be the last time as well. I reluctantly left the warm cozy bed and went to take the call on the secure line.

When I came back my husband had woken. He immediately saw my chocked and sad face.

“What’s happened?”
“That was Oliver from the White House. Marine One has crashed and the President is dead.”
“So Vice President Owens is president now. That means you’re out of office.”
“Yes, I guess. But not because of Owens. When he heard, he had a fatal heart attack.”
“OH NO! That means speaker Schultz is the new president. That scoundrel, traitor and enemy of the people!”
“Bill! Schultz isn’t that bad.”
“He’s from the OTHER party and by definition scum”
“Maybe, but he was already a year old when his parents immigrated”
“But you get on well with Senator Smith. What’s the problem then?”
“Bob was also in Marine One.”
“Oh, no! That means your archenemy the Secretary of State is in and that’s why you are out.”
“Admittedly Wilson was born here but a little known fact is that he has only spent a grand total of twelve years IN the country.”

At that point James entered the room.

“Madame President. Chief Justice Martínez has arrived. He wonders if you have a bible of your own you want to use. Otherwise he brought his own private.”
“I’m coming. I’ll get the family Bible. Get out of bed Bill.”

About ten seconds later he reacted.

“Oh, Woman! How low can you stoop to stop me accepting that job offer at the oil company?”

Took him longer than I expected.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun story

Glenda98's picture

Most enjoyable

Glenda Ericsson

Other necessary information

Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution sets three qualifications for holding the presidency. To serve as president, one must:

be a natural-born citizen of the United States;
be at least 35 years old;
be a resident in the United States for at least 14 years

Edit: Before posting I should have checked the link above more carefully. The information above can be found on that wikipedia page as well. I still keep it here for ease of access.

Ooopsie!

Thank you.

That last one really sandbagged me. I was so focused on the "Natural Born Citizen" requirement, which is actually regulated by a Federal statute, that I thought the 12 year thing was a mistake because it's not required in 8 US Code 1401. (I had looked all that up during the "Birtherism" nonsense.) But, AHA! It's a separate requirement specifically to be qualified to be President! Right there in the Constitution!

Two of the requirements are less discussed

The 14 year requirement has never been an issue as far as I know.

You probably noticed that the protagonist only just fulfills the age requirement.
There used to be a joke that the reason no woman had become president of the US was that no American woman wanted to admit to be older than 35.

Turns Out...

...the Senate president pro tem is probably the least likely official on the succession list to lack residency.

I had assumed the Majority Leader held that title, but in fact, by tradition, it's the most senior member of the majority party. Currently, that's Patrick Leahy of Vermont, who took office in January 1975.

Granted, it doesn't have to be.

Eric

Neither person from Congress is likely to fail that requiremen

As you said the Senate president pro tem has to have been in office for a long time according to established practise.

It's very unlikely that someone that hasn't spent decades in Washington, or at least in active US politics, would be chosen as speaker.

I suggest a revised title

But only to be used by anyone who has read it under its current title. Simply revise the spelling of the final word to "mourning".
After such a list of deaths and inappropriacies it is almost necessity!
Great fun!
Dave

You have got a very good point there

Sadly this was the most likely scenario for a TG woman to become POTUS I could imagine given present attitudes.

If this were to happen

The first move by the other side would be to impeach her. They did this to the current POTUS and want to try again and again and again.
We all can guess what would happen if that fails.

Samantha

Not Quite Designated Survivor

joannebarbarella's picture

But pretty close. I agree that's about the only way one of ours would ever get the job.

Does anyone remember a novel called The Man by Irving Wallace (sometime in the 1960s) where a black man ascends to the presidency by similar means?

I hadn't heard about it before

By the text in wikipedia it appearss to be quite a serious book.
Slightly less contrieved path to the presidency than this story.

Attempted impeachment

They tried an impeachment in the book on the grounds of mental health where they claimed he was a patient at a psychiatric institution. Turned out he had overnight stays as a support person for his wife.

Thoroughly enjoyed the book though the democratic process is vastly different to Australia

Title

The words "wonderful" and "morning" are mutually exclusive in the same sentence. >:->

I think I'm allergic to mornings

That's what's written on my Snoopy mug.

However, there are some strange people who enjoys mornings. Well, nobody's perfect.

Clever twist

This is a cute story. You have done a great job.

>>> Kay

Thank you!

Thank you!