The Girls' Changing Room - Chapter 6 - Christmas

Printer-friendly version
Girls’ Changing Room – 6 – Christmas
by Maeryn Lamonte – Copyright © 2021
Hogwarts thumbnail.png I rewrote the kiss by the boathouse scene. You can re-read it in context by going to the last chapter, or just read this excerpt:

They did exchange one more kiss — down by the boathouse, away from prying eyes and unwanted interruptions.

"That was nice," Anneka said as they parted.

"Yeah, I suppose," Lori agreed.

“Didn’t you like it?” Anneka’s brow creased with concern.

“It’s not that. I don’t know, I suppose I expected something more.”

“Maybe I didn’t do it right.”

“No, I’m pretty sure you did. I guess, maybe… I don’t know. Maybe I’m not ready for this… Yet.”

Anneka dropped her gaze. Lori reached out for her friend’s hand and gave it a squeeze.

“Maybe I’m just too caught up in what I’m going through right now. I mean I like you — you know, like really like you. It’s just…”

Anneka lifted her head and offered a fragile smile. “It’s okay, I mean we have loads of time, don’t we? This doesn’t have to be a now thing. It doesn’t change things between us, does it?”

Loris squeezed again. “Of course not. I mean friends first and forever, right?"

Anneka forced her smile a little wider. "Friends first and forever."

High up in the castle, Minerva's office gave her a clear view. She didn't like spying on pupils, but she’d been concerned. She let out a relieved sigh.

"Well," she murmured to herself, "there’s at least one problem can be put off for another day.”

-oOo-

Dear Anneka,

I know I promised an owl every day, but I don't think I'll be able to write that often. Mum and Dad sprung it on us when they came to pick us up; we're spending Christmas in Romania!

Dad made some sort of arrangement with one of his granddad's old friends and we have this wooden chalet sort of thing on the side of a hill overlooking the most amazing panorama. This place is all hills and forests and quaint little towns and villages that don't look like they've changed in hundreds of years.

Our nearest settlement is a small village, about a quarter of a mile downhill from us. The walk back is a bit of a slog but I wouldn't trade it for the view. The place is so beautiful, and the best bit is no-one knows us, so I'm just one of the girls here.

The locals are very welcoming. They're fascinated by my clothes, but I could say the same of theirs. They all wear the same sort of traditional costume which for the girls is a white blouse with very loose sleeves, a tight fitting bodice and a full skirt, both usually black, and a white apron tied from the waist down. I'm making it sound really boring, but it's not because the skirts and bodices are heavily embroidered and most of the aprons have a lace trim so no two outfits are the same any group is just a riot of colour and individuality.

Communication is a problem because none of the locals speak English and none of us speak Romanian. We're getting by with a lot of miming and pointing, and I'm beginning to pick up a few words and phrases. The girls are very patient with me and my awful accent, but laughs and smiles are the same in any language.

Lye's made friends too and spends a lot of time with them playing some sort of complicated game involving bats and balls. Again, sport seems to be a universal language. Once you've mimed your way through the rules, the rest is all about working together.

We're taking a few days to settle in before we explore further afield. I think Mum would be happy to spend all her time here as she's off wandering through the forest in her bare feet day and night. We're not far from a magical creature reserve and are planning to walk up to it to explore a bit. It has protective charms over it so the locals don't seem to have any idea it exists.

Gotta finish this. Dad wants to send our owl off while the sun's still high.

Love,

Lori

-oOo-

Hi Anni,

I know it's been a few days, but Dad's owl only made it back yesterday. I asked him if there was a way for you to send letters to us and he didn't seem too keen. He deliberately chose this spot so that we could have a holiday without being interrupted. He's sending Pheidippides — that's our great grey owl — off with correspondence once a week. It takes him two days to get back to England where he drops letters off at Dad's office, takes a day to rest then picks up only the mail his assistant thinks is too important to wait and brings it back. When Dippy arrived yesterday he looked pretty weighed down, so Dad's giving him a couple of days rest before sending him off again. If he ends up having to bring that much stuff with him every time it would seem a little unfair to add even one letter.

I asked Dad if we could make arrangements for you to send through Muggle-mail, but he's worried some of his colleagues will scan this letter to see if it has any clues to where we are, so he doesn't want me to include the town name. We came via portkey — so much more agreeable than apparating with Mum or Dad — so there's no way to trace our whereabouts otherwise. He just doesn't want us to be bothered with his workmates apparating in to ask stupid questions at every hour of the day. He did suggest I could send you a letter via Muggle-mail, but I don't have your address.

Anyway, I'm getting on better with the girls in the village now. I've managed to pick up enough of their language to hold a simple conversation. The downside is I now get to do all the shopping for our family since I'm the only one who knows how to ask for a loaf of bread. The upside is I have an excuse to go down to the village every morning and meet with my friends. It also means I've been able to look around at everything the locals have for sale and I've managed to buy Christmas presents for everyone.

I've managed to get an oină bat and ball for Lye - that's the game he's been playing since we got here. There’s a little u shape over the a meaning it’s pronounced oynia. For Dad I've found this amazing wooden clock — you'd think it was magic, but it's all Muggle ingenuity. As for Mum, one of my new friends' mother is a dressmaker and she has this stunning collection of traditional dresses waiting to be bought. I have the perfect one for Mum picked out, which my friend's mum has said she'll tailor to fit after Christmas. She's had me try on a few dresses too, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford any of them after buying stuff for the family.

We're off to the dragon sanctuary tomorrow. Dad's okay with me telling you as we'll be back from there while Dippy still has this in his beak.

Love you and miss you lots,

Lori

PS Happy Christmas

-oOo-

Dearest Anni,

What a wonderful Christmas! The only thing missing from it was you.

It snowed this week, on the day before Christmas Eve, and we had about a foot of snow everywhere. This is the closest I've come in nearly four months to missing trousers. Woollen tights help, but they do itch.

On Christmas Eve my friends came up to find me first thing then took me to a small lake nearby which had frozen over and had been deemed by the village elders to be safe for skating. I've never worn ice skates before, but one of my friends lent me her spare pair. They were a little tight, but not so much that I didn't enjoy myself. I fell down so many times, but that just made it more fun. My friends took turns to give me lessons, and once I got the hang of it, I didn't want to stop.

Then Christmas was one of those amazing days. You know the feeling you get when you can see how much a present is appreciated? I had that from all of my family. I mean there's always been something of a cloud over Christmas in our household, courtesy of yours truly and my gloomy moods, but not this year. Even Mum, who tends to disappear off into her own world when things get strained, was animated and excited and altogether delighted with her dress.

Lye bought me a gorgeous necklace and earrings set, which meant Mum had to pierce my ears. I saw some of the girls having it done in the village and it looks so much more painful without magic. Lye said they were enchanted so if I squeeze any one of them I’ll know where the other two are. In a quiet moment he whispered there was more but he didn’t want to tell me when Mum and Dad could hear.

Mum and Dad, as usual, bought us a ton of stuff, but my favourite thing was a doll, which Dad said was so I could make up for lost time. I rewrapped your present so I had something from you I could open. Professor Sprout said I shouldn't use it away from school as it would count as underage use of magic, so I'm keeping it for a day in the future. Sprout also suggested we could do a twins thing one day next term, and I have to admit it sounds fun. I miss hearing from you, but I know you can’t get in touch. I hope you're looking forward to it as much as I am.

We had a light lunch which was unusual for Christmas, but the villagers invited us to celebrate with them in the evening. In the afternoon a group of our neighbours appeared on our doorstep with packages for us all. We felt awful because we had nothing for them, but they insisted that we were the guests so it was for them to give the gifts. Dad and Lye were given traditional men's clothes, and Mum — because they knew I'd already given her a dress — received a beautiful silver necklace that went perfectly with her eyes. My gift was, as if you didn't guess, the one dress in my friend's mother's shop that I had fallen in love with.

We thanked them profusely and promised we'd see them at the feast in the evening. My friend stayed back long enough to tell Mum and me to come to her house early so we could have our clothes properly fitted. Lye and Dad didn't have the same issue because the men's costume was designed to be pretty loose.

Mum and Dad spent the afternoon charming some of our used wrapping paper into fireworks. They figured there wasn't that much difference between what we did with magic and what Muggles did with their cleverness, and this was at least something we could give back for their kindness. Lysander and I played wizard chess, which he's always won before because I was too distracted. This time I gave him a good game and came close to forcing a draw.

I don't want to bore you with all the details. The fitting was a new experience and a little nerve racking since I wasn't sure how far we were going to have to strip down. Turns out I didn't have anything to worry about. We only needed the skirt and bodice restitched which left us enough foundation garments to keep us warm and me concealed.

Dad and Lye caught up with us and we joined in with the celebration. There was food and dancing and so much laughter. When the music started to quieten down, Dad brought out the fireworks he and Mum had put together and set off the display. Now I'm not one to brag about my dad, but he's pretty handy when it comes to fireworks charms. He toned it down a bit for the Muggles, but it was quite the show even so.

Hey I haven't even told you about the dragon sanctuary! Wow, was that the most amazing place! I don't know if you've ever been to the Yorkshire Dales, but imagine somewhere like that only covered with dragons of every sort. The whole area is protected by a Muggle-repelling charm and the biggest invisibility charm I've ever heard of. It covers miles and miles of space in all directions and goes up for thousands of feet, and there are dragon nests everywhere. Some in the open, some in caves. I don't know, I could write about it forever and I couldn't come close to describing it. I really wish you could have been there.

I wish you could be here right now. It feels wrong to be having such an amazing time without you. I hope you're having a great holiday too. Next week is New Years which will be the last chance I'll have to write before we're back at school.

Anyway, Dad's just said it's bedtime for the third time, and it is one o'clock, so I should finish this so Pheidippides can take it with him tomorrow.

Love you lots,

Lori

-oOo-

Hey Anneka,

You are never going to believe what I found out this week! The doorway to the Kingdom of Fareway is quite close to the dragon sanctuary we went to last week. Dad and Lye couldn't get enough of the dragons so we already made arrangements to go back, but now we've found this out, Mum's promised we can go to Fareway instead. It'll mean a lot of apparating because there are a ton of places we need to check out, but she was intrigued by what you found out in the potions book, and she's sure we'll be able to find someone who can tell us a bit more. I may have time to write once more after our visit because we're coming back to England a couple of days before school starts, so I should be able find an owl that can get to you in time.

What can I say about New Years? There was another party in the village and yes we all went in our costumes. The village elders asked Dad if he would do another fireworks display and with a few days to plan with all of us chipping in, we came up with a doozy.

The music and dancing were much like the Christmas do, except this time it was more about girls dancing with boys rather than anyone dancing with anyone. All through the evening we kept changing partners and the dances got faster and faster with the changes happening more often, then the moment the priest rang the church bell to signify midnight, everyone stopped and grabbed the person nearest them.

This was just for singles I should say. They take marriage seriously here, so it was pretty much just us young people. Lysander and I had no idea what was going on, but the village youth seemed to have this all planned out. Lye ended up with about the prettiest girl in the village, and I was nabbed by some tall, dark and mysterious boy a couple of years older than me.

We all stood by and watched Dad's amazing fireworks display, and when it reached its climax, every boy present kissed the girl he was with — even Lye, who's a pretty quick study.

My first time being kissed by a boy. It was exciting and a little frightening. There's still that voice at the back of my head saying, 'What if he finds out?' but there really wasn't much chance of that. I don't know why, but it took my breath away having someone take control like that. He was a bit clumsy and forceful, so it was nothing like our kiss, and there were definitely no fireworks — not after Dad's had all gone off.

On the way back to the cabin Dad wanted to know how I felt. There wasn't much I could tell him, but I tried to be truthful, like I'm trying to be here. Like I say it was exciting. It's also not something I would want to look for, not while I'm still the way I am, because I'm still enough of a boy to know how it would feel if I found out the girl I'd been kissing wasn't one. I guess there's the potential for chemistry, but only once I'm everything a guy could want. It doesn't rule out the possibility of chemistry between us when we get to that stage either, so this was just getting caught up in the moment. I hope it doesn't bother you.

Anyway, Dippy leaves tomorrow so I need to add this to his burden, and we're off to Fareway tomorrow too. We're coming back the day after, so I'll write as soon as I'm home. It's weird. This has been such a fantastic adventure a part of me doesn't want it to end, but then I'm going to see you again in a couple of days so another part of me can't wait for it to end.

All my love,

Lori

-oOo-

Hi Anneka,

So we're all packed and ready to go. All my friends from the village came round to say goodbye this evening after we came back from our day out. Even tall, dark and mysterious made a showing and asked for my address. I told him I was flattered but that I had someone waiting for me at home. Probably the thing I like least about being a girl so far, disappointing interested boys. Anyway, Dad's recharmed the portkey for the next people who're to come here and he's unpacked the one that'll be taking us home. I don't know how the locals cope with us just appearing and disappearing as we have. Certainly none of my friends asked me about it. Maybe they're just a bit more used to magic happening about them than most Muggles. I certainly don't want this to be my last visit here. Maybe next time I can bring you.

Anyway, this was going to be a quick note to tell you how Mum and I got on in Fareway. It was good to be back in a part of the wizarding world and not have to be careful about what we did and said, and we spent the whole day apparating from one place to the next. Mum used a charm that meant we could understand and be understood by whoever we were talking to. The place was filled with fairytale castles and quaint little villages much like Romania, but there was all sorts of magic going on all over the place. We asked about King and Queen Laramy and Randolph the Rash and were sent to every place that had some clues to the story. There were portraits of the king and queen in the royal palace including ones from from the year they swapped places and even one of Princess Arabella. I tell you, if Randolph looked even half as good as his portrait…

The most promising place was a museum dedicated to Randolph. We had a chance to talk to the guide and she showed us the best copies they have of Randolph's journal. She repeated the story of how Randolph may well have made copies of the forgotten ingredients and showed us lists of what scholars have speculated them to be over the years. It's a pretty long list. Mum made a copy of it for me, but it could take most of a lifetime to work through it.

In a way the best clue was the copies of the journal. They were all about the same size, perhaps six inches by eight, and according to every version of the story that talks of it, the ingredients for both variations of the potion were written on a single page of the journal. That means there can't be more than three or four missing ingredients for each one.

Anyway. Early night tonight. We're coming home first thing tomorrow morning so I should be able to send this off before breakfast. I do hope you are well and have had a wonderful holiday. I am so looking forward to catching up with your news.

Love,

Lori

-oOo-

Dearest Lori,

Thank you for all your owls. You can't begin to imagine how frustrating it has been for me not being able to write back. One letter a week has been meagre pickings indeed, but so much sweeter for it. I've loved reading your adventures and am only very slightly jealous. What amazing luck to find yourself so close to Fareway Kingdom and to have been able to visit it.

My own holiday has been dull by comparison but not unenjoyable. My bracelet tells me that I'm content if a little sad for missing you, and with little enough of interest to do around the house, I managed to persuade Mum to set me up with portal access to a local witching library. It doesn't count as under-age magic because the portal is formed by someone else in response to an artefact they send you. You touch it to open the portal then ask for the book or books on the subject you're interested in and they're passed to you through the opening. When your loan period's up, they just open the portal and collect the book, so no possibility of fines for late returns as with Muggle libraries. Apart from doing a lot of reading, I've also spent a fair bit of time cross referencing all the things I’ve learned.

I've found out quite a bit about Randolph the Rash. Apparently he only spent one more year in service to King and Queen Laramy, then he disappeared from the kingdom all together. There’s not much information about his disappearance which is a little odd, because I’d have thought there’d been be more effort made to find him, but as far as the Kingdom of Fareway was concerned he just vanished.

The dates of his departure are given though, so I hunted around for anyone like him appearing somewhere else. It was about as boring as listening to Professor Binns for a whole afternoon, and there was no evidence of his turning up in any other magical kingdom I could find. That's when I decided to check the Muggle world.

I went to our local library and made friends with the head librarian. Nobody borrows books much around Christmas so he didn't have much to do, and he's an amateur historian with all these cool Internet links to places like the National History Museum and similar institutes around the world.

I told him I was doing research for a project at school — which I am kind of — and he offered to help. Unfortunately we found dozens of likely matches cropping up around Europe, and it wasn't until you mentioned finding the portal to Fareway in Romania that we had a bit of luck.

When I mentioned Romania to my librarian friend he showed me information about a newcomer to the court of Vlad III of Wallachia — which is in Romania — in 1448, pretty much when Randolph disappeared. Vlad III is also known as Vlad the Impaler or Vlad Dracula. He's a bit of a Romanian national hero, but he's also the basis of a Muggle horror story about a vampire.

I don't know, it sounded like something Randolph the Rash might be involved in. I asked my friend to try and trace the descendants of the jester. He said he didn't hold out much hope but he'd try and do a search through the family trees database. He said it might take a few weeks so not to hold my breath.

So anyway, that was my Christmas break, apart from Christmas and New Years which I spent with Mum and Dad and a bunch of aunts, uncles and grandparents. It was fun, but I've missed you. I'm really looking forward to seeing you in a few days, then we can catch up properly.

See you soon.

Love,

Anni

Waiting those last couple of days before heading back to Hogwarts was almost unbearable. There was a lot she didn't understand about Anneka's letter. What was an Internet link? What was a database? She knew what a family tree was, but the Muggle world was a mystery. She wondered what it must be like to have a foot in both camps like her friend.

She was so immersed in her anticipation of the new term and catching up on homework she hadn't been able to do while in Romania that she didn't notice her neighbours' mixture of expressions. Most were confused and relatively easily dealt with by her mum.

"Yeah, that's Lori. She used to be our son, but now she's our daughter."

A lot of them went away more confused than when they'd arrived, but apparently it was a bit of a thing in the Muggle world, so most understood it even if many weren't too keen to accept it.

On the last day before going back to school, she went out for a walk without even thinking how those around her might react. She bumped into a group of girls she vaguely recognised. They waved her over.

"You go by Lori now, I understand?" One of them asked.

Lori nodded.

"That's cool," another said. "I think you're really brave. Of course my dad thinks you're nuts and your parents are worse for allowing it, but he's just a bigot."

"Yeah," a third girl chipped in. "You're okay with us, as long as this isn't some creepy ploy to get into our knickers."

"So what, are you on blockers or something? Do you have to see a shrink?"

Lori had no idea what they were talking about. She'd stayed away from the Muggle part of their mixed community before, but now the Muggles found her interesting enough to come looking for her. She shrugged. "It's kind of a new thing for me. My school is okay with it for the most part, and the teachers keeping an eye on me." She avoided the words she didn't understand. From watching her dad she'd noticed whenever he tried to wing it he tended to go hopelessly wrong. She tucked the terms away to ask Anneka later.

"Watch out for the lads around here," a fourth girl said.

Lori recognised her as Kirsty, the only person present whose name she recalled. "Why's that?" she asked.

"They're idiots who seem to think they know better. If they catch up with you they may decide to let you know what they think about transpeople."

That was the term the lady in the mirror had used. Lori took a stab in the dark. "Not that happy with them?"

"Pretty much."

"Oy!"

The shout had come from the direction Lori had been heading. She looked up at a group of about eight lads, most of whom were older than her. They started heading towards her and then girls.

"Better head back home Lori," Kirsty said. "We'll cover for you as best we can, but don't hang about."

Lori took their advice and headed back the way she had come as fast as she could. She made it without incident, but a while later Lye turned up with a bloody nose. It didn't take much more than the wave of their mother's wand to put right — all but a small amount of swelling — but Lori could see how it upset her brother.

"That was because of me, wasn't it?"

"Don't sweat it. Just because they're too thick to understand doesn't mean they have the right to tell you how to live your life. In fact it probably means they definitely shouldn't have that right."

"I don't want you getting hurt on my account."

"Tough because I'm going to defend you no matter what, and they're almost certainly going to object in the same way. Lori, let us stand up for you the way we want to."

Fortunately there was no further need. They stayed in that evening, then the following day they kept pestering their mother until she took them and their luggage straight to King's Cross in good time to catch the Hogwarts’ Express.

They found an empty compartment and settled into it. Anneka found them and joined them five minutes before the train was due to depart. The two girls started chatting back and forth at an increasing rate with the topics changing seemingly at random until Lysander cleared his throat.

“I think I just had a taste of what other people feel when the two of us start doing our twin thing. Is it going to be like this all the way to Hogwarts?”

Lori shrugged apologetically. “Pretty much I should think.”

“Well if it’s all the same with you, I’m going to see if I can find some of my mates. Maybe I can interest enough of them in oină that we can start a Muggle sports club.”

“What happened to his nose?” Anneka asked as soon as he’d gone.

“Oh, some of the Muggles around our way don’t much like me wearing a dress. Since they couldn’t catch me to let me know how much they disapprove, they found Lye and explained it to him.”

“That’s awful!”

“I know, I feel so bad. But Lye says he’s okay with it. It’s one of the reasons I never did anything about it before. Some choices have consequences for other people.”

“I’d say most choices do. You’re not going to stop being Lori, are you?”

“Do I look like I’m going to stop being Lori? No, I’ve opened this bag of pixies once and for all now. We just have to see what kind of mess comes of it.”

“As well as the good. You can’t deny that some good’s come out of it. So what do you think of what my friend at the library found out?”

“I don’t know. Do you think we’ll be able to trace Randolph into the Muggle world and maybe find his journal there?”

“You never know. At least it’s a lead.”

The conversation carried on in a similar vein for the entire journey. They started to run out of things to say to each other as dusk settled over the landscape and they approached their destination. Lori hadn’t seen Hogwarts from the train before. Anneka recognised a few landmarks when they were getting close and pulled her friend over to the window just as the track curved around the side of a small mountain (or perhaps a tall hill) and the castle came into view, illuminated by a nearly full moon.

“Wow!” breathed Lori.

“I know.”

“What’s that misty area over there?”

“That’s the Forbidden Forest. It wasn’t all misty when we came in September. I guess that’s a winter thing.”

“I suppose. Gosh, the castle is so beautiful. And that must be Hogsmead.” She pointed at a village about a mile below the castle. The mist had just about reached its outskirts and covered the train track for the last quarter mile or so.

The train let out a long blast on its whistle and started to slow.

“We should change into our robes,” Anneka said. “We’ll be there in about five minutes.”

They pulled down the blinds and changed quickly. They’d about finished when a polite knock on the compartment door announced the return of Lysander looking to do the same. They stepped out into the corridor and went to the carriage door. Anneka pulled the window down just as they approached the patch of mist on the final stretch.

The wintry air brought an invigorating shock into the train. Lori breathed in the coldness, enjoying its fresh crispness. She smiled at Anneka, but stopped the instant she caught sight of her friend’s expression.

Anneka was struggling to breath, a look of panic spreading across her features.

Lori took hold of her face and the two of them sank to their knees. Behind her she could hear other students screaming and shouting, but all she could concern herself with was Anneka. She turned her friend's head so they were looking straight into each other’s eyes.

“I’m here Anneka. Hold on, everything’s going to be all right.”

Anneka tried to nod, but was too distracted by trying to draw air into her lungs. Even as she watched, Lori saw her friend’s eye’s roll upwards and she went limp.

Lori lowered her to the floor and looked desperately for signs of life. The light in the carriage brightened as they entered Hogsmead station, the train straining to a halt with a distant hiss of steam.

Anneka’s unconscious form convulsed and spewed up a milky white substance. Lori rolled her onto her side as best she could. More of the milky fluid dribbled out, and as suddenly as she had collapsed, Anneka convulsed and began coughing.

Behind her Lori could hear more coughing and spluttering as well as other voices shouting. Through the chaos she could more or less make out that some of the affected students hadn’t regained consciousness, and some may not even have resumed breathing.

“Off the train. If you’re able to walk, step off the train now.” The voice was loud and commanding and belonged to Professor McGonnagall. “Calmly now, and quickly as you can. If you are able to walk, please step off the train. First years, look for Professor Mugglewump. The rest of you line up outside the Hog’s Head and we’ll find you as soon as we may.”

Lori helped Anneka to her feet and together they made it onto the station. Mugglewump was standing by the station entrance surrounded by first years. He favoured them with a a poisonous stare as they approached.

“Sir, where’s Hagrid?” Lori asked.

“Do I look like I have time for your stupid questions?” he retorted, but other first years added their voices to Lori’s question. “He’s trying to calm down the creatures in the forbidden forest, now stop pushing, will you?”

It wasn’t the first years who were pushing though. They’d formed enough of a crowd at the entrance that older students were struggling to squeeze past. The disturbance was getting worse as more students crowded onto the platform. Eventually Mugglewump threw up his arms in surrender. “all right first years,” he shouted in exasperation, “follow me.”

“Sir, I don’t think all of us are off the train yet,” Lori called out, regretting it as soon as the professor’s baleful eye turned on her.

“Well, why don’t you and your friend wait for any stragglers. I’ll come back for you when I have a chance.”

The mist seemed to be closing in on the station from behind the train, but she spotted Lysander stepping off and waved to him. “Sir, Anneka was affected by the mist or whatever it was on the train, I think she should go with you now. If it’s all right, I’ll wait with my brother.”

The black look Mugglewump gave her suggested that the Christmas break had done nothing to ease the potions master’s opinion of her. Even so he couldn’t argue with the logic and nodded. Anneka reluctantly allowed herself to be led away.

“What’s happening?” Lysander asked, still tucking his shirt into his trousers.

“No idea. I think it’s the mist. Mugglewump told us to stay behind and gather any first years who are still getting off the train.”

They waited, looking around them and called over the last few of their classmates as the stepped down from the carriages. Quite a few of them were in tears. Sounds of apparation and disapparation came from along the length of the train becoming slowly less frequent.

“I thought apparition wasn’t possible inside Hogwarts grounds,” Lori mused out loud.

“Hogsmeade is just outside the school ground,” Lysander said distractedly. “But I’m guessing those are the house-elves. Their magic works differently from ours so they’re not affected by the restrictions.”

“How do you know that?”

“I read. You should try it sometime, sis.”

Eventually their small group was all that was left on the platform and the mist drifting slowly towards them.

“What are you still doing here?” a high-pitched voice reached them from about waist level.

“Professor Flitwick,” Lysander stepped forward. “Lori and I were told to wait here and pick up the last first years off the train.”

“Where’s Professor Mugglewump?”

“He took the first group sir,” Lori said. “The entrance was getting a little crowded. He said he was coming back for us.”

“Follow me,” Flitwick grumbled and led them off the station.

They made their way through the village to the other end where a couple of odd-looking carriages waited for them. Two of the girls in their group let out a terrified scream.

Flitwick’s face turned grave, but he rallied quickly enough. “It’s all right.” He went to the two girls and placed a hand on each of their arms. Glancing quickly at Lysander he said, “Get everyone else into the carriages, Scamander. Keep a couple of spaces in the last one for these two.” Turning back to the two terrified girls he spoke in a gentler voice. “They’re called thestrals. Not everyone can see them. They’re perfectly safe.”

Lysander and Lori worked to organise the remaining students. Most were Hufflepuffs who’d stayed behind to help those who’d collapsed on the train along with a few from Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, though not Slytherin. They were all a little subdued and allowed themselves to be directed. Lori and Lysander filled all but one of the carriages to capacity then climbed into the last one leaving the back seat clear for the two girls Professor Flitwick was guiding gently towards them.

“Thestrals. That's what Mum tried to show us when we first arrived, wasn't it?" Lysander asked Lori.

"I think so," she replied. "But we couldn't see them."

"Most people can’t," the professor replied. "Be thankful you can’t either.”

“I am. She told us what they look like. They sound rather scary.”

Flitwick helped the two girls up into the carriage as best as his diminutive size would allow and closed the door. Their round, saucer-like eyes confirmed her impressions.

“I’ll happily talk to you about them later. For now, get going up to the castle. I need to check the train to make sure we haven’t overlooked anyone.”

The ride up to the castle passed in eerie silence. The coach creaked and groaned as it negotiated the pitted track, but other than that there was no noise from the invisible creatures pulling them. The two girls sat wide eyed with terror, barely blinking.

“Would you like to swap seats?” Lori asked, thinking they’d be better off if they had their backs to whatever it was they could see. They shook their heads, apparently preferring to be as far away from the creatures as they could be.

In the dimming light of dusk they could see the mist spilling out from the forest and tumbling across the grounds. It moved more slowly than their coach and reached half-way across the open fields before it came to an abrupt halt, piling up against an invisible wall. Whatever it was, it wasn’t just a winter thing.

-oOo-

The Great Hall was filled with the buzz of concerned voices. Snippets of the most recent wild speculation reached Lori’s ears as she led her fellow Hufflepuffs — the latecomers from the train — to their table and found a seat next to Anneka.

“I thought you’d be in the infirmary,” she said quietly, tucking her skirt under her as she sat.

“Madam Pomfrey gave me a quick look over and told me to go. They have every bed filled with students who didn’t come round, so those of us who weren’t as affected were told to go away and only come back if we felt anything strange.”

“Like what?”

Anneka shrugged. Professor McGonnagall had taken her place behind the lectern and was waiting while the conversations muted around her, the hush spreading out like a wave.

“I know you will all have a great many questions,” she began and paused as a ripple of murmurs passed though the hall. When silence returned, she continued. “I will not be able to answer them tonight. We have a number of students in the infirmary at present and Madam Pomfrey is doing her best to care for them. For now, I’m sorry but you will not be permitted to visit them.”

The murmur that followed this was louder.

McGonnagall raised her voice. “Madam Pomfrey has every bed in the infirmary filled and quite a few temporary ones beside. She is going to be busy enough tending to the large number of patients she has without the added problem of people visiting. She has also not yet ruled out the possibility that whatever ails your friends may be contagious.”

“It was the mist,” a Ravenclaw called out. “Everything happened when we went through the mist.”

“Thank you, Brooke. We are aware that the mist may well be the cause. It only sprung up this evening and we are as yet unsure as to where from. It is currently being kept at bay by the school’s wards so there is nothing to worry about.

“Ordinarily our first evening back at Hogwarts after the Christmas break consists of a welcome feast. I’m aware that you will all be concerned about the welfare of your friends, just as we are, however there is little to be gained by worrying over something that you can do nothing to mend and the food has already been prepared. We will enjoy the meal as best we can. I anticipate that most of you will not be in a mood to celebrate though, so as soon as you have eaten you will be permitted to return to your dormitories and settle in.

“I fully expect to have solved this mystery within the next few days. Until then, school life will continue as usual and full normality will be restored as soon as possible. This is not the way I wanted to welcome you back to school, but you are indeed welcome, and I look forward to seeing you all about the castle as we return to the tasks of teaching and learning.

“Now despite your cares I’m sure you’re hungry, so please tuck in.”

The meal met every expectation of a Hogwarts feast though it wasn’t enjoyed by many. Slytherin house seemed to be least affected by absences with all three of the other houses missing members from every year. For the most part people ate distractedly and sparingly, finishing early, long before the food came close to being exhausted.

Lori and Anneka left with most of the other Hufflepuffs at the earliest opportunity. Back in their dormitory they noticed a third bed had been made up and a third trunk placed at its foot.

“One more thing to get used to I suppose,” Anneka said dejectedly. She was still a little shaken by what she’d gone through on the train.

“It won’t be so bad,” Lori said. “Why don’t you use the bathroom first? We’ll both feel better after a good night’s sleep.”

By the time Lori had washed and changed, Anneka was in bed and asleep. She extinguished all but one of the lamps leaving the last on a low flame beside the new bed. It wasn’t necessary since the moon was still up, its light diffused by the mist to turn the sky into a milky sheet. The light seeped into the room through the high windows illuminating the room more effectively than the lamps.

Lori wasn’t particularly tired, so she went over to her desk and climbed onto it. The many circular windows in the Hufflepuff dormitories were too high up to to see through from floor level. Both she and Anneka had long since moved their desks so they were directly underneath one of them. It gave them better light to work by when the sun was up, but it also meant they could clamber up to look out of them. With the Hufflepuff dormitory being situated directly under the great hall, the windows were high up in the cliff face, offering a spectacular view of the Great Lake which might have been unnerving to anyone with a fear of heights. It wasn’t something that affected either of them and they often shared one desk and one window, looking out at the scenery side by side.

The sight before Lori was nothing like usual though. This mist had spread alarmingly, entirely obscuring the forest, reaching almost to the near end of the covered bridge and stopping in a wide curve about a hundred yards out into the lake. It formed a wall of milky white that reached up and over her head. Even the moon was hidden, recognisable only as a patch of brighter white than the rest.

McGonnagall had said they were safe, but for how long? There was something sinister about the mist, something the castle’s wards seemed to know they should repel, but how long would they hold out? And where had the mist come from? Certainly, there were dark wizards still about, but surely the power needed to create something like this had left the world along with the darkest wizard of them all, the one whose name no-one spoke.

The only thing Lori could think of was that stone Maledicta had sought out the previous term. McGonnagall had seemed worried about it when she’d shown her the box, but what was it? She knew what the headmistress would say if she asked about it, though. Concentrate on your learning and leave such problems to the teachers. But how could she do that? When the danger threatened her best friend along with dozens, perhaps hundreds, of students how could she sit idly by and do nothing?

Well, she wasn’t going to do nothing. She hadn’t decided what she would do, but she knew it would take a little finesse.

She climbed down from her desk and into her bed, her mind already probing at the problem. Something her mum had told her once. ‘There are tame problems and there are wild problems. The tame ones will come to you if you sit quietly and wait, but the wild ones need to be chased. There’s a difference between them you can feel if you try.’ This one felt like a wild problem, so she started going through her options on how to chase it; which professors to ask and how to approach them. She was more tired than she’d realised though, because the next thing she knew, she was woken by the door to their dormitory flying open and hitting the wall with a crash.

“Just my luck. I get to share with a couple of party-poopers.”

Lori looked over at Anneka’s bed, but her friend was too deeply asleep. She sat up in own in order to confront the newcomer. “Can you keep it down please? We’re trying to sleep.”

“Exactly the point I was trying to make.” The dim lamp flared bright and by it Lori made out the tall, slender shape of Hortensia Skunk. “It’s barely midnight. Where were you two?”

“What do you mean where were we? We left with almost everyone else from Hufflepuff, and that was hours ago. Where were you?”

“Partying with Slytherin. I tell you, that Raph Maledicta and his mates know how to enjoy themselves a lot more than you Stufflepuffs.”

“You’re a Hufflepuff too you know?”

“Not by choice.”

"No, me neither, but that still doesn't change where the Sorting Hat put us."

"The stupid thing made a mistake."

“I was told it doesn’t make mistakes.”

“It did in my case.”

“I thought the same. I thought I belonged in Ravenclaw with my brother.”

“Yeah, right! Like they'd have a freak like you in Ravenclaw.”

"Actually, I have quite a few friends in Ravenclaw."

"You wouldn't if you were in their house. It'd be the same here only Hufflepuff has such a pathetic reputation that nobody cares."

"You're wrong. It's because Hufflepuff does care about people more than reputation that they're happy for me to be here. You too if you'd only let them."

"I don't care what this bunch of losers think. I mean you should have seen who they had me sharing with last term! The really stupid thing is they still put me in here with you two saddos while my old dormitory is pretty much empty."

"What do you mean?"

"Three out of my four old room-mates are in the infirmary. There's only Millicent Lattimer in there now. Mind you, she was crying her eyes out when I came past. At least I might get a decent night's sleep here."

Lori was on the verge of asking if Hortensia even cared, but it was evident she didn't. It was time to end this conversation before they disturbed Anneka. "You won't get any sleep at all unless you get into bed. It's late and my friend nearly suffocated on the train this afternoon. She needs her sleep even if you don’t, so will you please turn that lamp down and be quiet?”

“What if I don’t?”

“Then I’ll go and wake a prefect. I really don’t want to, but if you disturb Anneka I will.”

“Yeah, well you keep to your side of the room, freak." Hortensia had to have the last word. "You come within three feet of my bed and I’ll cast reducio on that thing you’ve got between your legs. Not that I’d need to, I suppose. I’m guessing it’s not all that big in the first place.”

For a second Lori was tempted to let her try, but there was no guarantee it would be the only thing she’d shrink. Besides, Hortensia was just baiting her, trying to get her to react. Sometimes the best thing you could do in a situation like that was to ignore it.

“Good night Hortensia,” she said laying back down and snuggling into her pillow. “Welcome to the dormitory.”

The new girl muttered something under her breath. A short while later the lamp dimmed and a few minutes after that it went out.

up
135 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great chapter until..

Hortensia showed up. First impressions, etc. But then it does set the tone for more interesting events. Looking forward to the next one.

Hortensia

Gotta have bad guys (and gals)

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Hortensia fits the Zacharias

Beoca's picture

Hortensia fits the Zacharias Smith mold of Hufflepuff nicely, a foil to the House’s values, and by the looks of it a very explicit foil to Lori and Annika. I did not expect this, and it is my own fault for not looking up what “horty” means (which would have given it away). She seems loyal to her friends - those friends just happen to wear green and silver. I am left to wonder how long until someone’s belongings get sabotaged, because I do not see this roommate relationship improving unless Maledicta and Hortensia stop being buddies.

(Hopefully) Constructive feed back.

I have to say, I like the rewritten kissing scene better. Probably a bit simplistic, and not enough agonizing, but better than the original. Either that, or I like my "romance novel" style drama over kisses.

The letter's format works and lets you summarize an otherwise side story without using too many words.

The "mist" looks properly ominous, and scary, with the adults giving just the proper level of "worried but annoyed" attitude for something that can happen rarely, but isn't the end of the world. Well done there. Nice job at catching the essence of a chaotic situation where there isn't a rehearsed plan to deal with everything. That's always a troublesome thing to write. Nice build-up of dramatic tension as well.

I wonder if this story will be true to the trope, with Hortensia getting burned by Slytherin, as the sorting hat is vindicated in "getting it right", and she really does belong in the Hufflepuff house.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks for your feedback

I appreciate all your comments. The kiss rewrite was needed to match the ages of the characters. Twelve years old is a long time ago for me, but I vaguely remember what it was like. First girlfriend but not quite a first kiss. Drowning in overwhelming feelings didn't come until a year or two later, so this feels more real.

Tropes rule in fan-fiction, but I'm hoping there may be a twist or two in it all that will keep people guessing, at least to some degree. Next chapter in the pipeline.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

12 years or so old was a long

12 years or so old was a long time ago for myself as well. Don't take my memories of being a kid, in the US, in public school as gospel of what it's like being in a boarding school in the UK! I really don't have a good frame of reference.

For me, at 12 years old, I hadn't yet discovered what was so interesting and beguiling about the opposite gender. I knew there was hype and interest about it, but it just didn't appeal yet to me. That came later, maybe around 14 or 15. But I was also fairly delayed, some of my fellow classmates were very much boy or girl crazy at that age, just didn't seem to know what to do about it.

all i can say is what a stuck

all i can say is what a stuck little one. Now poor Lori has two problems to deal with.

Sinister - and selective

Podracer's picture

That monster mist was aimed at certain students - and possibly staff. I'm sure the aim will be revealed soon. Meanwhile the new dorm mate is wonderfully hateable. What is really up with her?

"Reach for the sun."