Gaby Book 23 ~ Ontario ~ Chapter *30*

Printer-friendly version
Book 23 full cover.JPG

 

*Chapter 30*
New Reality

 
At Silverberg, and I guess secondary level schools everywhere, things were much different. None of this looking in the library stuff, the teachers gave us handouts or there were set text books we used. The only handouts we got today were the actual reading list for this semester and some notes on how to navigate the library, great help.

Once I found the right set of shelves it was actually quite straightforward and I soon had an armful of books. I’m supposed to read this lot? I returned to the desks and started ticking stuff off the list, i’d just finished when my Handy buzzed from my bag, sugar Max.

‘? r u? M’

I quickly tapped out a reply and pressed send.

‘5mins G’

I gathered everything up and headed for the checkout desk. Now i’m not exactly a regular library visitor so I was a bit bemused at the process. Swipe my ID card then scan the barcode stuck on the back of each volume, press OK then a sort of receipt was spewed out. i’m glad Mum talked me out of wearing heels, with my arms full of books navigating the steps to the world outside was bad enough in flats.
 
“Gab, over here!”

I looked about and spotted Max sat on a bit of wall and changed direction towards him.

“Soz, I lost track of time.”
“Guessed that,” he told me before planting a kiss on my forehead, “some light reading eh?”
“Tell me about it,” I agreed with a roll of the seeing equipment, “don’t you have books to read?”
“Yeah but i’m buying my own copies of the core stuff.”
“That’ll cost a fortune won’t it?”
“There’s only a couple, we get a discount ordering through the lecturer.”
“Wish i’d only got a couple, look at this lot, Management Principles, Basic Management, An introduction to Human Resources – talk about repeating yourself and I don’t have a bag to carry them in.”
“Gis them here, food first then we’ll get you a bag right?”
 
Lunch, another new experience. There is a sort of student common room but the only sustenance on offer is out of vending machines, crisps, chocolate – you get the idea. So on the days i’m here over lunch i’ll have to bring something or get something locally, of course today I forgot the former (well I was running late) which leaves the latter option.

Of course i’ve been to Koblenz many times before, shopping that is, we usually hit Pizza Hut® or Maccy D’s but today i’m not shopping with the girls, i’m a poor student.

“So what’re we eating?”
“There’s a bakery in the Lohr Centre,” he suggested.

Well its not fine dining but its honest enough for a sandwich or slice of pizza and cheaper than burgers or a restaurant.

“Guess it’ll do, there’s a bag shop in there too. So I guess you are done for today?”
“Yeah, just a sort of meet n greet really.”
“Us too, Freddy gone home?”
“Probably, he’s doing a different course so i’ve not seen him since first thing.”
“I thought you were both doing engineering?”
“We are but mine’s mechanical and his is electrical.”
“Oh right.”
“So what’s your timetable like?”
 
Just over an hour later we’d eaten, I had a ‘book bag’ and we were waiting for our train on the makeshift Lohr station behind the shopping centre. After comparing timetables it looks like i’ll usually be travelling alone back up to Dernau, I don’t get classes on Monday and the other days we finish at different times so unless we’re hitting the library our days together end when Olaf drops us off. Oh well, i’m sure we’ll live.

The train arrived and we joined the other students and shoppers travelling back along the Rhein. Of course this is the stopping train, we could get the express which only stops at Andernach before Remagen whereas this one stops at every pebble. Its only day one and i’m already commuter weary!

If i’d been expecting or even hoping for a makeout session I was quickly disapointed, Max‘s attention was on his Handy. Well two can play at that game, I flipped my own device open and hit the speed dial for Con.

“Gab,” my BF told me.
“Thats me, so how’s Mayen?”
“Sorry, hang on, let me get somewhere quieter.”

There was a bit of a delay then she came back on the line.

“That’s better, what were you saying?”
“Just asking how its going?”
“Pretty good, you only just caught me, i’ve got another class in like two minutes, oh there’s a couple of girls from Remagen on the course so we can come together, swap notes and stuff, what about you?”
“I think the rest of my lot are from around Koblenz, we’re on the way home now.”
“Max too?”
“Yeah, he’s mucking with his phone.”
“Boys!”
“Tell me about it.”
“Look, got to go, Petra’s waiting for me, speak later okay?”
“Yeah, laters.”
“Ciao!”
 
I nudged Max, “our stop.”
“Oh right,” he put his phone away and grabbed his bag to follow the other departing passengers.
“So what’s been so interesting on your Handy?” I asked as we made our way through the underpass to Gleis 4 and the waiting Ahrtal Express.
“Just checking in with the lads on the course.”
“You were only there a couple of hours ago,” I pointed out.
“Mo wants to start a five-a-side team.”
“Mo?”
“Maurice, there’s a league Wednesday nights.”
“Didn’t think you were that into kick ball?”
“I’m not, not like Mart but its a bit of fun with the lads yeah?”
“I guess, there any girls on your course?”
“Well I think Phil might be Homo but no card carrying females.”

He’s been there one day, not even a full day and he’s become a full on football loving male chauvinist pig!
 
“That you Gab?” Dad’s voice enquired when I eventually slumped into the house.
“Yeah, you want tea?” I called back.
“Wouldn’t mind,” he allowed coming out into the hall, “you’re early.”
“Late really,” I sighed as I toed my shoes off, “we were done by twelve.”
“So how’d it go?”
“Got some reading to do,” I advised swinging the bag full of literature onto the kitchen table.
“Looks like you’ve got a forest full there.”
“Did you have all this reading when you were at uni?” I asked, filling the kettle for the tea.
“Some but it was more practical stuff most of the time.”
“I can’t believe I have to read all this, some of these are like a couple of hundred pages long.”
“You sure you’ve got to read them all?” Dad suggested.
“They’re on the reading list.”
“Lets have a look.”
“Help yourself its in the bag” I told him as sorted out the tea stuff.
 
“So?” I asked a couple of minutes later as I plonked the teapot on the table.
“Didn’t you read the list?”
“Course I did, they’re all on it.”
“Thats not what I mean, see here,” he turned the list round so I could see it, “Basic Management, chapter three, pages 78 to 83 so that's five maybe six pages to read.”
“Out of that whole book?”
“Out of the whole book,” he agreed, “you need to get in tune with this stuff kiddo or you’ll waste a lot of time on stuff that's not relevant.”
“Why don’t they tell you?”
“They have, you just need to know the code.”
“So these others are the same?”
“Yup,” he poured his tea, “there’s probably only about fifty pages to read out of all this pile.”
“Phew.”
“Happier now?”
“Much.”
“So are you packed for Wednesday?”
 
What do you think? Of course i’m not, well my cycling kit is because Mum sorted it for me the other day but off bike stuff, not a chance. After promising to do the packing after cheer I got changed before rustling up egg on toast for everyone. Mum was back from training and Mand from her first day back in Bonn, no one wanted too much, some of us from practical pre exercise reasons, others in expectation of pizza later!
 
My second day at college started pretty much the same as the first except I was early enough to pick up some lunch in Thesing’s on the way to the pick up point. The ride down was much the same and I once more found myself gripping Max’s hand, well it felt nice if nothing else. Its the first proper classes today, i’ve done about half the reading list so i’m all primed and ready, I found the room for the first class and headed in.

“Gaby, a moment please,” Lisbet requested as we filed out of the room after our last session of the day.
I moved to one side to let my classmates pass, “er sure.”
We were soon alone at which point my lecturer ushered me out and followed herself, “so what do you think?”
“Well its only like the first day,” I mentioned.
“But first impressions are important Gaby.”
“Well its different to the Gymnasium, all the reading and stuff.”
“What about the travelling, its what, two hours to get here?”
“I’m getting a lift with my boyfriend and his mate, its less than an hour by car.”
“Do you think the travelling will be an issue?”
“Only if I miss my lift, Olaf, that’s Freddie’s brother, works for the Region so he comes every day.”
“Freddy is your boyfriend?”
“No that's Max, Freddy’s his mate, we all went to Silverberg together, they are doing engineering.”
“I see, but you are away for a week now yes?”
“I should be back here next Wednesday I think.”
“I’ll make sure there are some notes for you when you get back.”
“Thanks, I don’t want to get behind straight off the bat.”
“Straight off the bat, interesting turn of phrase but very apt.”
“Its something Dad says,” I advised.

By now we were outside her office.

“Wise man, well good luck in…?”
“Canada,” I filled in.
“Indeed, you did tell me before and we’ll see you next week eh?”
“I’ll be here.”

well I certainly hope I will be, I don’t want a repeat of last year in Denmark, hospital visits and stuff. I realised Lisbet had disappeared as I daydreamt so I headed to the Library, Mum suggested I photocopy some of the other papers i’m supposed to read so I can take them to Canada. I guess I might have some time to kill, on the flights at least.
 
Maddy Bell © 29.09.2018

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Finally looks as if we might

Finally looks as if we might see Ontario before the end of the book.

In stories like this

it's the journey that counts, not the destination.
Quite a journey so far.

Attention to details

Jamie Lee's picture

Gaby has had a problem paying attention to the details of almost everything. The only time details come into play is getting dolled up.

Gaby needs to learn when to speed through something and when to slow down and read something carefully. She has always sped through something that isn't of interest, only missing something like instructions to first read through the test carefully, finding out she just has to just sign her name and turn in the test. With Gaby, she'd work through the test only to find the instructions to just sign her name as the last number on the test; I had a test like that once in high school.

Thankfully Dave looked at her reading list and spotted the pages in each book she has to read. Gaby would have been thoroughly upset if she read each book in its entirety only to discover the real reading assignment.

Others have feelings too.