How the Trojan War was Averted

Printer-friendly version

HOW THE TROJAN WAR WAS AVERTED

The scene: a hillside near the ancient city of Troy. A handsome young shepherd is tending his flock. There is a flash of lightning; a crash of thunder. Three beautiful women appear suddenly before him. The first steps forward.
“Fear not, young Paris, for you have been chosen by Zeus himself to judge which of the three of us is the most fair. I am Hera, queen of the gods. Choose well, and I will give you dominion over men; legions of warriors to command; untold power.”
The second woman spoke. “I am Athena. What good is power without wisdom? Choose me, and I will make you the wisest of men. Others will travel from all corners of the earth to seek your guidance. You will be renowned and revered.”
The last woman stepped forward. “I am Aphrodite. What good is wisdom or power without love? Choose me, and I will give you the most beautiful of mortal women, who will cherish you until the end of your days.”
Paris bowed. “My ladies, you do me great honour, but the task you give me is indeed Herculean. One question, if I may.” He turned to Aphrodite. “I don’t suppose there’s any chance of making me the most beautiful woman in the world?…”

up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

giggles, I love it!

of course, being the people they were, they would probably have a war for the new woman's hand in marriage !

DogSig.png

They miss out on a war?

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Ah, well. They’ll always have Paris. :)

Emma

Excellent!

Excellent!

More?

Dee Sylvan's picture

This is a great little story Sue, but... this could be the start of a true Odyssey! Oh, the possibilities! :DD

DeeDee

loving the puns today!

loving the puns today!
Thanks for commenting!

And there it is!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

The Trojan War averted, but the Punic War begins!

Emma

In the Annals of History

Andrea Lena's picture

Some thought Hector the Brave was the greatest Trojan. Others believed Paris the Fair was the greatest, But History has borne witness that there was one who outshone them all; Prophylacticus the Protector!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Oog!

Atrocious puns. Thanks to all for the creativity!

And thus Paris…

Robertlouis's picture

…became the first son of Troy to, ahem, look a gift horse in the mouth.

☠️