Dot and Sam 12

Printer-friendly version

Dot and Sam 12

Dorothy Philpot. Landlady of The Harbour Light pub
Sam Philpot. Drag-queen.
Billy Parkins Doorkeeper.
Jessica Merlot The town’ and county archaeologist.
Josephine MacDonald The town and county archivist.
Richard Drummond Town planning inspector
Robert Vincent. Junior planning inspector.
Georgina. (Georgie) Homeless Transgender girl.
Bobby Gay boy on the school bus.
Marty Girl on the school bus.
Jack. Marty’s twin brother (Keen runner).
Trevor Aitkins, Georgie’s Biological father.

Thursday dawned grey and windy and Trevor awoke momentarily disorientated as he emerged from a deep sleep that spoke well of the bed’s comfort at The Harbour Light. A time check told him he was early, so he didn’t rush to get up. Instead, he listened to the wind sighing around the old stone walls then he showered and dressed until he heard noises coming from the landing.

“Is that you love?” He called.

“Yes daddy. Breakfast’s ready. What are your plans for this morning?

“I’ll take a taxi into town then come and see the people doing the dig. What time will you be home from school?”

“About five to four. It’s the same bus every day except Wednesdays. Marty will be here today; she’s coming at lunch time with the school.”

“Okay, I’ll see you about four, or shall I Meet you outside school?”

“That’ll be about half three. I’d love you to do that.”

With arrangements sorted, Trevor shared breakfast with Dot, Sam and Georgie then drove his daughter to school. She kissed him fondly at the gates and sauntered happily into school as he drove into the town. After completing the tasks he had planned, he found himself at a bit of a loose end, so he checked the tides and took a walk around the estuary before meeting Georgie again in the early afternoon. At the school gates she hugged him and giggled.

“You’ve caused a stir. All the boys think I prefer older men.”

“Let them think what they like.” Trevor shrugged as he smiled, then added. “The estuary’s quite an interesting place. Lots of birds and stuff.”

“If you like birding, go for a walk with Dot or Sam, they’re dead keen.”

“I was more interested in the woods that come down to the shore-line on the opposite bank.”

“At lowest astronomical tide, you can wade across where those rocks stick out but look out for the mud.”

“Have you tried it?” Trevor wondered.

“Not yet, October tides are best and now that I know my way around better, I might try it this autumn. There are some quick-sands though. ”

“Well you be very careful darling and don’t go alone. Now I've found you, I don't want to lose you again.”

When they returned to the Harbour light, both Trevor and Georgie were fascinated to find recovered parts of the sea trading schooner sitting in a large water tank on the back of a small lorry..

“How old is it?” Georgie asked Marty as she shared her packed food with her classmates.”

“They think about eleventh century. “Old Chalky the history lecturer is beside himself with excitement. He’s been on the phone all day with Jessie talking to London. The dendrochronology will fix the age cos the stern post is a substantial chunk of wood and they can date the rings.”

“I bet the developers are pissed.” Marty giggled. More delays.”

“More business for us though,” Georgie grinned. ”Though the developers have got plenty of profitable work to go on with. The work on the tidal gate to the river isn’t affected and the new dock-gate cill has yet to be installed.”

Amongst the history students, the mood was almost jubilant but Trevor spotted a couple of long faces whom he presumed to be contractors. He kept his counsel however and finally made his farewells to his daughter Georgie.

“Come back soon daddy. I’ll miss you.” Georgie pleaded as she stood in the lane and watched the taxi pull away.

Dot also watched and smiled as she noted Georgie’s hopeful mood.

“I’m sure he’ll be back love.” Dot encouraged her. “Are you his only child?”

“No I’ve got a younger sister and an even younger brother. Dad hasn’t seen much of them or me since the divorce.”

“What’s his job.” Dot continued.

“He works in Birmingham mostly but he goes all over. I don’t know exactly what he does but he calls himself an actuary whatever that is. He told me he qualified as a mathematician at uni then he took some professional exams to become an actuary. It’s something like an accountant but to do with pensions I think, I know he meets with all sorts of people including engineers and architects. Then he goes around assessing projects to advise pension funds and banks who have something called investment portfolios. I know he goes to London often. When he and mum were married he’d often take mummy and us kids up to London and we’d go sightseeing while he visited clients and stuff. I've missed him terribly and I’m thrilled he’s back!”

“I thought he sounded like some sort of assessor.” Dot observed. “He asked a lot of questions about who’s funding the basin renovations.”

After all the visitors had left, Georgie had a light dinner and went upstairs to work on her homework. Dot found her still dressed but asleep on the bed with her lap-top blinking away at nearly midnight.

During the following weekend, Marty’s history lecturer had co-operated with Jessie the county archaeologist to expand the archaeology volunteer team. Dot and Georgie were pleasantly surprised to find a doubling of students from the local universities and Georgie’s high-school because the importance and fame of the excavations had spread.

Dot was truly pleased to see Georgie thoroughly enjoying her time serving lunches while gossiping with her classmates and the students she had befriended during the summer vacation. Dot of course was immensely pleased with the extra business.

The excavations on the trading schooner were accelerated furiously now that the timbers were in danger of drying. To this end a larger truck with a bigger water tank was brought down to preserve as much of the boat as they could find. Marty found herself working as one of the hewers and carriers as excavated mud was carefully sifted for archaeology. It was filthy work picking through fine mesh sieves at waist height while water sloshed down Marty’s waterproof full length apron. Fortunately, Georgie had promised her the use of her hot shower and Marty was looking forward to it.

By the Sunday evening, it was decided that all the recoverable archaeology was gathered and a celebratory party was held at the pub. For Georgie, the whole weekend had proven to be a brilliant occasion to deepen her school friendships and expand her circle of friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By Christmas, The basin was ready to be fully flooded for tests on the new tidal gate. The ancient medieval basin walls were finally repointed and declared stable, then the newly installed sluices were given their first test. Just before the Christmas term ended, Georgie joined Marty and her history classmates in eager anticipation as the first rush of water was allowed to enter the excavated basin.

“I wouldn’t like to fall in that,” Marty grinned as they watched the first testing trickle of river water become a furious inrush, “and what are Dot and Sam doing over there by the control room?”

“They’re training because they’ve got jobs as assistant gate men.” Georgie explained, “and once I’m eighteen I’ll become one as well.”

“Your birthday’s next February isn’t it.” Marty exclaimed. “Is Dot going to apply for the dock-master’s post?”

“No. She’s got too much work with the pub and restaurant.”

“What about Sam?”

“No, she’s too busy as well. The council are holding interviews and stuff in January. We got our jobs because we live virtually on site and know the area better than anybody.”

As Georgie and Marty were still watching the furious inrush of the sluices, the town councillor’s inauguration party crossed the walkway on the top of the new dock-gate and made their way to The Harbour Light. Georgie followed them in and invited Marty to join her. By now, Georgie was well known to several of the councillors and soon she was mingling with the group as they chatted over the buffet. Naturally, Marty inveigled herself into the party as well and she listened to the various conversations of the councillors.

Georgie was particularly interested to hear that the Councillors were optimistic about finding the final tranche of funding to complete the development of the basin. When she heard the councillors mention the name of the company she felt a flutter of excitement for she had previously heard the name of something very similar being mentioned by her dad.

Immediately, she slipped up to her room and emailed her dad confidentially. Then as she returned to the party she got a soft ‘ping’ on her mobile. Her dad had responded.

“That’s confidential information darling. Where did you hear of it?”

“Some of the councillors were expressing hopes of the final funding.”

“Well pretend you didn’t hear anything and don’t reveal anything. I know I can trust you to be discreet.”

Georgie swallowed slightly for she now knew more than some of the councillors.

That early evening, she got a call on her mobile, it was her dad again. Eagerly she answered and was happy to learn her dad was visiting the basin again that Friday and hoped to stay the weekend. Georgie had recently passed her driving test and arranged to meet him at the station. When she saw him on the arriving train she tooted her horn and waved furiously then savoured the wide smile her dad gave her as he stepped off the train and bent down to protect himself against the driving rain. December was never a good month to travel even though it held all the excitement and promise of Christmas and family reunions.

Trevor let out an ‘oof’ of breath as Georgie flung herself into his arms and pressed her cheek to his almost like lovers. The hug finally ended with a brief kiss and they made their way to the car.

“So Daddy. Is this visit business or pleasure?”

“Both darling. I’m meeting come associates in the town hall to talk to the council.”

“Is it going ahead then? Will you be involved?”

“Whoa! Steady darling, confidentiality and all that.” Her dad cautioned her but his smile gave a lot away.

Georgie picked up on the smile and frowned curiously.

“What are you not telling me?”

“I’ll tell you after meeting with the council if everything goes to plan. For now, a lot of it is still confidential.”

Georgie tutted impatiently and Trevor changed the subject.

“Have you any plans about a career yet, you’re nearly eighteen?”

“Well there’s Uni for the next three years, - I hope, then at some time I want to transition. Preferably before I go up.”

“Will you be freezing your sperm?” Trevor asked hopefully.

“Already done Dad, Dot and my caseworker were very helpful organising that.”

“Dot’s a good woman,” Trevor opined, “you landed on your feet here.”

“And don’t I know it!” Georgie agreed. “She and Sam are a fabulous couple.”

They arrived at the town hall and Georgie set her father down after arranging to meet him later. Then she met
Marty and they went shopping with some of their school friends to sort out Christmas presents. Finally, she met
again with her dad and they drove to The Harbour Light. Sam met them because Dot had been called
unexpectedly to see her sick mother.

“Is it serious?” Trevor asked Sam.

“We’ll find out when she gets there. She only left about an hour ago. I tried phoning Georgie but her phone was
off.”

Georgie frowned ruefully as she confirmed her battery had run out. Both adults wagged their heads amusedly. It
seemed that teenaged girls never had their phones out of their ears. As they sat down to eat, Sam’s phone
rang.

“It’s a false alarm. Dot’s mum’s okay. She’s coming back tomorrow.”

With this news the mood around the table lightened and Georgie gave Sam and her dad a bit of a fashion show
before Sam left to prepare the Drag show while Georgie cleared the table. Up in his bedroom, Trevor checked
over some figures then came down to find his daughter busy behind the bar. They exchanged smiles then
Trevor went for a walk around the Basin just to get a feel for the project now that his principals had become an investor in the project.

He hoped his daughter would approve. The following morning he broke his news to Georgie.

“I can do my job online from just about anywhere, so do you agree to it?”

“Agree to it!?” Georgie almost shrieked with joy. “Of course I’ll agree to it. So you’ll be a shareholder in the
basin!”

“Well not exactly. I own some shares in the development partnership with the council.”

“Oh never mind that, where will you be living; locally I hope?”

“Uuhhm, across the basin darling. My office will be above the harbourmaster’s office and my home will be the
second converted warehouse next door.”

“Will you be here all the time?”

“No love, I’ll still be travelling to visit sites but not so much, perhaps two or maybe three days a week.”

“So I’ll see a lot of you?”

“If you wish, but I’ll bet you’ll soon tire of it.”

“Never!” Georgie declared emphatically as she hugged her dad. ”Can I tell Dot and Sam?”

“Of course you can! It’s not a secret is it; and they’ll find out soon enough anyway. Have you got time to go and look at my prospective new home?”

“Ooh! You bet. Do I get to have a bedroom over there as well?”

Trevor let out a hoot of laughter that attracted Sam’s attention.

“Good news?” Sam inquired.

“Dad’s moving to live across the Basin. Warehouse number two.”

“Ooh do tell!” Sam exclaimed as she polished the remaining glasses behind the bar.

After briefly outlining Trevor’s plans, Sam suggested that father and daughter go and check out their prospective new home and when they returned from the row of warehouses they found Dot back at the pub.

“Yes, it’s all sorted,” Dot confirmed, “my mum’s a bit of a drama queen. So what’s this news of yours Trev. You’re a bit of a dark horse!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It was fairly obvious……

D. Eden's picture

That Georgie’s father was going to be involved in finding the funding to complete the restorations. The big question here is just what does the old growth forest have to do with it? He was definitely interested in the forest.

Also, there is still the question of what will happen between Georgie and Jack. Now that Marty knows that Georgie is transgender, how long will it be before Jack finds out - and will it matter to him?

And then of course, now that Trevor is going to be working and living close by, how will he continue to play into the whole community?

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Trevor May Become The Financial Anchor Man

joannebarbarella's picture

Investors always like someone like him to watch how their money is spent. It's all too easy to waste funds if there are too many cooks. A monthly audit keeps things under control.