Dot and Sam 16

Printer-friendly version

Dot and Sam 16

Dorothy Philpot. Landlady of The Harbour Light pub
Sam Philpot. Drag-queen.
Billy Parkins Doorkeeper.
Jessica Merlot The town’ and county archaeologist.
Josephine MacDonald The town and county archivist.
Richard Drummond Town planning inspector
Robert Vincent. Junior planning inspector.
Georgina. (Georgie) Homeless Transgender girl.
Bobby Gay boy on the school bus.
Marty Girl on the school bus.
Jack. Marty’s twin brother (Keen runner).
Trevor Aitkins, Georgie’s Biological father.
Lucinda Aitkins Georgie’s biological mother
Terence Georgie’s step-dad
Allison. Old school friend of Trevor & Retired Solicitor.
Fred Allisons husband

That Sunday afternoon, Marty and Georgie accompanied Georgie’s dad Trevor as they trudged through the snow on the canal towpath. Initially, they savoured the pristine purity of the snow scrunching under their feet but as they approached the town, the path behind the town hall was more heavily trod and the brown slush was less attractive. Georgie explained that she knew of a less trafficked path and on reaching the little gate half hidden behind a snow laden hawthorn bush they again found themselves scrunching through the unblemished snow. This eventually brought them to a small copse of trees and Trevor took out his binoculars. The girls paused curiously behind him then he whispered.

“There; in-between that fallen tree and the forked scotch pine. See them?”

“What’re we looking for?” Whispered Marty.

“Fallow deer,” Trevor explained, “see the white spots on their backs.”

“Oooh yes. Are they wild?” She asked as Georgie tugged at the binocular straps.

“I can’t say,” Trevor confessed. “I think these fields are private though, so if you wanted to shoot one, you’d have to beg the farmer for permission to shoot.”

“How did you know to look for them?” Marty wondered.

“The height of that fence bordering the woods. It must be at least six feet.”

“Is that to protect them?” Marty pressed.

“No.” Trevor answered distractedly as he searched the undergrowth behind the high fence.

“Aren’t they protected?” Georgie asked her dad.

“It depends. If they are too numerous and causing crop damage, and the farmer can prove it; he’s entitled to shoot them on his own land.”

“There’s only four that I can see.” Georgie reported as she handed the binoculars back to an impatient Marty.

“There’ll be more deeper in the trees keeping an aye on us, I’ll wager.” Trevor declared, “Those winter sugar beet will be just too big a temptation.”

“But they’re behind the fence, in the woods.” Marty pointed out.

“Exactly,” Trevor agreed, “That fence is designed to stop them. They can clear four feet easily, possibly five.”

As he spoke there was a sharp crack and one of the deer bolted into the fence, only to collapse struggling then lying still.

“Stay still!” Trevor ordered.

“But they’re shooting.” Georgie squealed.

“Your orange hoody will protect you best. It’s best that we’re clearly visible!”

As he explained, Trevor let off a long. “Helloo-oo! Into the woods.”

After a few seconds, a man emerged from some bushes behind the fence.

“You’re a bit off the footpath!” He called. “It runs through the centre of the field, not by the fence. Did you see where it dropped?”

“Yes, against the fence by the bushiest hawthorn tree.” Trevor pointed.

The farmer raised is hand nonchalantly and went to collect his kill. As he passed the girls and Trevor he casually explained.

“I had you in sight all the time and good girl for wearing the bright orange top.”

“Do you have to kill them? Can’t you just scare them?” Marty asked.

“They’re a serious pest missy. I’ll show you the damage they’ve done to my Swede crop.”

As he spoke, he motioned to a door in the fence and unlocked it.

“I can see you’re a bit upset; but come and see.”

Georgie had often walked by the woods and frequently wondered about the high fence. Now was an opportunity to visit the hereto forbidden woods. As the farmer led them through the silent glades Georgie’s sharp eyes spotted several wild things she’d never seen before. The woods were a virtual wild-life refuge. While Trevor chatted with the farmer, Georgie frequently tugged at Marty’s sleeve to point out a fox or a stoat, even a red squirrel.

“It’s like the bloody Serengeti”! Marty gasped with delight. “Look! There’s a green woodpecker!”

They trudged through the woods for nearly half an hour before reaching the other side where the farmer opened another wire door and then showed the grazing damage that the deer had done to his field of swedes.

“There must be a quarter of an acre lost to nibbling the leaves, and if they’re not stopped, they’ll destroy the whole field. I only received my pest control licence yesterday so I count this kill as my declaration of war.”

“Can’t you trap them and release them somewhere else.” Marty pleaded.

“They’ll only damage some other farmers lively-hood. Best I shoot them and sell the venison. Then next week, I’ll have to extend the deer fence for nearly a mile to protect these fields. The deer meat will perhaps help pay for the fencing.”

As he said this, Georgie fell to thinking but she kept her ideas silent to avoid upsetting Marty. When they finally got home, she approached Dot.

“Do you cook venison?”

“Why do you ask.” Dot wondered.

“There’s a farmer having trouble with Fallow deer on the other side of the woods. He’s exterminating them and he says he’ll sell the meat. Maybe you could do a deal.”

Dot raised her eyebrows and nodded thoughtfully. It was always good to source one’s meat locally and Venison certainly added an exotic element to one’s menu. She resolved to visit the farmer with Georgie at her side. Two days later, the deal was struck and The Harbour Light had added locally sourced venison (subject to availability,) to its menu. When Georgie sighted the newly printed list of fare, she felt she had established a true and legitimate interest in the business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometime in early April, when the flush of Spring had started to crown the trees with rich hues of assorted greens, Georgie received another letter from Allison. As she opened it, she debated to herself whether she should reply and risk opening a can of worms. She decided to discuss it with Dot and Sam first for, despite her love for her father, it was Dot and Sam who had rescued her from living rough. She still considered Dot her surrogate mother. Dot read it first then handed it to Sam who had stepped in from cleaning duties behind the bar. They both settled on the sofa as Georgie flopped down in one of the wingback chairs.

“Well, Allison and her husband are definitely moving down here so I suppose it will only be a matter of time before your mother Lucy comes down to visit her. Your dad Trevor tells me they are still close friends.” Dot ventured

Georgie paused thoughtfully before pointing out.

“I’ll probably be going to Uni’ next September so hopefully I’ll be gone during term times. By then I expect to have transitioned and maybe my egg donor won’t recognise me.”

“When’s your op?” Sam asked.

“My dad Trevor has agreed to pay for it. Once he discovered that I have frozen some sperm he was agreeable to my op and he’ll pay.”

“Lucky you.” Dot smiled wistfully, “I had to wait years for mine.”

“Well, I can only thank my dad for the op and Dot for helping me start hormones legally. I was taking them illegally until that bastard Terry threw me out.”

“Yeah and it shows,” Sam giggled. “I’ve watched the boys staring at you.”

“Do you think my egg donor would recognise me if she comes to visit Allison?” Georgie asked.

“I don’t know what you looked like as a boy love; but if she’s looking for a boy, she won’t find one. Hair and makeup can do a lot, not to mention those!”

She nodded briefly towards Georgie’s boobs.

“Do you think Allison’s told your mother that you’re transitioning?” Dot continued.

“I hope not.” Georgie frowned. “I begged her not to.”

“I think it might be a good idea to invite Allison down and check to see if she’s kept quiet about Georgie. She can stay here if that house they’re buying is not completed.”

“Is that wise?” Georgie asked again.

“Well run it by Trevor first, he’ll be over in his own apartment across the river lock this evening and he’ll be wanting to see you anyway, I’m sure.”

This news reassured Georgie for she now considered her dad to be her rock and guiding star, especially after he had proved to be so supportive about her transitioning. Thus encouraged, she set about her weekend Saturday work with gusto.

An hour after she started, two of her school friends turned up as they had organised earlier that week.

“Oh Hi.” Georgie grinned widely as her two classmates wheeled their bikes into the storeroom behind the stable.

Marty and Julie parked their bikes then quickly donned their outfits and pitched in as the restaurant was filling up. Soon there was little time for chat and it continued in this vein until the restaurant closed at ten. After Dot demanded that the friends confirm with their parents, they were allowed to continue as ‘bottle-boys’ and occasional bar-maids to boost their wages. By now most of Georgie’s classmates were over eighteen anyway and weekends at The Harbour Light had become a popular venue with their class. On the Sunday morning, after driving her class-mates home, Georgie discussed Allison’s letter with her dad.

“Well in truth darling, you can’t actually stop her from coming down. I believe they’ve agreed a purchase and the first monthly instalment has been paid. I’m afraid she’s our neighbour now.”

“Well I’ll still tell Allison that I don’t want to see my egg donor, and I’ll thank her not to expect me to meet her or make her welcome. Allison and Fred are okay but the problem is my egg donor and that bastard of a step-dad!”

Trevor could easily see the hurt and anger in his daughter’s eyes and he nodded sympathetically.

During the following week, Allison arrived with her husband and started moving the first odds and ends of furniture into their ‘cottage’ as they liked to call it, for the natural stonework lent itself to a Dickensian charm. Georgie bumped into them that evening as they stopped in the pub for a drink while she was coming home from school.

“Hello darling,” Allison offered while her husband Fred smiled and extended his hand.

“ Hullo.” Georgie responded mutedly as she paused with her schoolbooks in her arms.

The books gave Allison an opportunity to make some conversation with the obviously reluctant girl.

“How’s school going love?”

“Fine thanks.”

“A Level’s soon, are you looking forward to them?”

Georgie cocked her head and shrugged as she went to start up the stairs beside the bar.

“Anticipating them. More like.” She replied. “Hardly looking forward to them.”

“Your mother sends her regards.” Allison tried.

“Really!” Georgie smirked. “That’s not something I’d take seriously; her ‘regards’ that is.”

“She seriously regrets what happened.”

“Yeah; so do I, but I’m safe now.”

“Is there any hope of reconciliation?”

Again, Georgie gave a teenaged noncommittal shrug before declaring.

“There’s no need for me to seek reconciliation. I get all the care and love I need from Dot and Sam plus of course my dad. If she wants to seek reconciliation she’d best distance herself from that bastard Terence.”

Allison sagged slightly with disappointment. It seemed the rift between her best friend Lucinda and her transgendered child George was one that was too big for Allison to heal. She gave a slight nod and Georgie took that as the signal that their conversation was ended. Georgie turned to continue upstairs while Allison and her husband Fred stepped out into the courtyard to enjoy the scene in the tidal basin. They were still sitting there when Trevor returned from business. He waved across the river lock to them before entering his new office across the basin.

Later he emerged to cross the dock gate to the pub only to find Allison and Fred still sat at a table in the courtyard.

“Hello you two. D’ you fancy another drink?”

Allison grinned happily. She had been hoping Trevor would want to talk and her expectations had proved accurate. Moments later Sam emerged with a tray of drinks as Trevor sat with Allison and Fred.

“It doesn’t look as though George will ever reconcile with his mother.” Allison offered.

“You mean Georgie reconciling with her mother.”

“Sorry. Old habits die hard.”

“Well give yourselves time. The more you’re around her, the easier it will become.”

“Do you think there is any hope. Lucy’s pretty distraught about losing hi – I mean her.”

“Just give her time and don’t pressure her. Whatever you do, try and avoid bringing Lucy and Terry down here unless Georgie’s at college. She sees The Harbour Light as her safe refuge.”

“A gay pub where they have drag shows every weekend; and she calls that her safe house.” Allison mused ironically.

“It is safer for her than the home where she was raised became. That shouts volumes about a child growing up transgendered,” Trevor countered, “and I feel guilty to some extent for that.”

“You weren’t to know Trevor, don’t beat yourself up about it.” Allison soothed him. “She’s turned out okay and she’s at least got her dad.”

Having exhausted the subject of Georgie they fell to discussing the new ‘cottages’ on the far side of the basin and Georgie found them thus as darkness was falling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Allison strikes me as a busybody……

D. Eden's picture

Who insists on sticking her nose in where she shouldn’t. People like her simply can’t keep from doing it - no matter how much harm they end up causing.

I fully expect that we will see both Lucy and Terry showing up in the not too distant future, and Dot, Sam, and Trevor will have to ride to the rescue for Georgie. Perhaps Terry will find himself locked up!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Trevor had better

Be on his best behavior, or else.