Dot and Sam 19

Printer-friendly version

Dot and Sam 19

Dorothy Philpot. Landlady of The Harbour Light pub
Sam Philpot. Drag-queen.
Billy Parkins Doorkeeper.
Jessica Merlot The town’ and county archaeologist.
Josephine MacDonald The town and county archivist.
Richard Drummond Town planning inspector
Robert Vincent. Junior planning inspector.
Georgina. (Georgie) Homeless Transgender girl previously known as George.
Bobby Gay boy on the school bus.
Marty Girl on the school bus. (She becomes Georgie’s best friend and lover)
Jack. Marty’s twin brother (Keen runner).
Trevor Aitkins, Georgie’s Biological father.
Lucinda Aitkins Georgie’s biological mother
Terence Georgie’s step-dad
Allison. Old school friend of Trevor
Fred Allisons husband
Elizabeth Aitkins (Beth) Georgie’s younger sister. Later proves to be sympathetic to her ‘sister’
Jonathon Aitkins (Johnny) Georgie’s younger brother.

At the airport, Elizabeth met her mother waiting with their luggage.

“Where’s Terry and Johnathon?” Elizabeth asked.

“Where’s your dad Lucy countered.

“He put me in the Taxi at New Street then he went to work.”

“He should at least have seen you to the airport, what if we’d missed each other.”

“I’m sixteen mum and I’ve got a credit card and a mobile.”

“Did he give you the card.”

“Yes.”

“Don’t let Terry know you’ve got one.”

“Terry’s not my father or my guardian, you are. Besides, it’s on dad’s dollar so it’s nothing to do with Terry.”

“Nevertheless, don’t let him know.”

Elizabeth shrugged and nodded towards the check-in desk.

“There’s Terry, with Johnathon and his own kids.”

“They joined the queue as Terry asked Lucy.”

“Where’s her father?”

“We separated at New Street Station,” Elizabeth interrupted. “I’m quite capable of getting to the airport on my own. He paid for my taxi and I’m here in plenty of time.”

“There’s no need to get shirty with me girl.”

“Well you should have asked me where my dad was, not mum. Don’t treat me as if I’m a piece of furniture.”

“Well, if there’s excess baggage on your luggage, it’s your lookout. We weighed the bags very precisely.”

“I’ll pay, dad gave me some pocket money for the holiday.”

“Will you stop squabbling, let’s try and keep this holiday a happy one.” Lucy scolded both of them.

Elizabeth retreated back into the queue to stand with her brother while Terry checked everybody in and soon they were waiting in the departure lounge where Terry organised some drinks.

Reluctantly, Elizabeth had to admit to herself that Terry treated the children fairly and after finishing their drinks she teamed up with her step-sisters to explore the duty-free area. She spotted several things that she fancied but she had to hide her credit card from her siblings. It was almost a certainty that if her siblings; especially the oafish step brother Peter, found out, they would be begging or even demanding for her to pick up the tabs for incidentals like coffee.

Eventually both she and her stepsisters bought books to read on the plane. Then it was not long to wait as their flight was called and they departed on time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at The Harbour Light Pub, Georgie and Marty were enjoying their summer holiday jobs and awaiting their A’ Level results. They fell into a pleasant routine and savoured their Sundays off along with frequent midweek days off as work and business allowed. They were not bound by formal contracts being as they were deemed ‘family’ and their general usefulness around the basin as sources of information and casual labour was much appreciated by incomers starting up their various shops and businesses as the basin’s reputation grew. They were also much appreciated by Dot and Sam when they stood in as ‘dock gate staff’ when Dot and Sam were heavily engaged with the success of the pub.

Eventually their exam results arrived and to Georgie’s delight she confirmed her place at Imperial College in London. Marty had to wait a further week before she finally confirmed her place, for she had just squeaked in.

Towards the end of the holidays, Georgie received an email from her sister Elizabeth that warned her that their younger brother Johnathon might have some inkling about his siblings relationship.

The encrypted message appeared on Georgie’s phone.

“Little Bro has challenged me about knowing your location. He saw something on Facebook and reckons it might connect me to you via Dad.”

“How did he find out?”

“He got into my phone and read some messages then put two and two together to get four. Not the encrypted stuff mind. He saw something about the opening celebrations for the Basin then went online to try and find out where and how Dad was involved. He saw me in a video and thinks the girl I was with might be you. He asked me and I denied it but he’s searching the web now with facial recognition technology. He’s a smart cookie, just like you. I’m just warning you. Take care. He’s worked out that you’re probably trans.”

“Thanks for the head’s up. Are you coming down before the school hols end?”

“Yes. Do you want me to try and sound him out about trans stuff? He’s old enough now to understand stuff.”

“Okay, try and find out how he feels about it; but be careful.”

“I think he might be sympathetic. He was arguing with our step-brother Peter one evening as we watched telly. I’m not entirely sure. but he seemed more sympathetic than Peter who follows his dad Terry. They’re total homophobes.”

Georgie sighed despondently. She had been secretly hoping to somehow reach Jonathon without Terry finding out. Elizabeth had been her main hope but now they would have to tread doubly carefully. She texted one last encrypted message.

“Be doubly careful to keep your phone safe and encrypted at all time.”

“You bet. See you in September, before you go up to IC and congratulations by the way.”

“See you September. Hugs and love, Big Sis.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The remainder of August flew by and the summer season kept both Georgie and Marty very busy. One midweek evening they finished working in the restaurant and Marty slumped down gratefully in one of the wing-back chairs in Dot and Sam’s living room.

As she kicked off her flatties, Dot arrived with a thick envelope for her.

“Whass ’is?” Marty asked.

“Your tips for August.”

Marty eagerly opened the envelope and whistled with delight.

“Is this it? Really?”

“Yep, you’ve put in a fair bit of work but most of all, you’ve been reliable, you know time-keeping and stuff.”

“Crickey!” She spluttered as she quickly estimated the notes. “More days, more dollars!

“Well not so much now September’s here. Besides, you’ll be going up with Georgie in the last week of September.”

“Can I work through September? I’ll need all the money I can earn. London’s expensive.”

“If you want to. The restaurant isn’t open every day though, now the summer season’s over.”

“Can I continue staying with Georgie. It saves my mum a whole bunch money foodwise and stuff.”

“If she’s agreeable.”

“Money’s tight for her so she’ll be very keen.”

“Okay, get your mum to extend the letter repeating that she knows about the drag shows and stuff.”

“I don’t need that anymore, now I’m fully eighteen.”

Dot spoke softly to emphasise the seriousness of the issues.

“The letter protects Sam and me darling, not just you two.”

“Oh. I see. Can I work here over Christmas?”

“Yes.” Dot assured her. “Provided your mum agrees.”

Marty settled into the chair as Georgie entered and turned to Marty.

“By your smiles I’m assuming you’ve made a deal.”

Both Dot and Marty nodded as Georgie’s smile widened.

“I’ve got another deal she continued grinning.”

“What’s that?”

“Come outside.”

Reluctantly, Marty slipped into her comfortable flatties and followed her partner out onto the pub back yard.

“Voila!” Georgie grinned. “Surprise, surprise.”

“Is that yours?” Marty gasped.

Georgie nodded as she explained.

“Dad just bought it for me, for winning the scholarship. D’ you want to come for a spin?”

“Does the pope shit in the woods?” Marty cackled with delight.

“Drive carefully!” Dot cautioned them.

“I have to.” Georgie frowned. Dad’s had a tracer fitted that checks speed and distance. Then it adjusts my insurance upwards if I drive excessive distances or speeds.”

“Yes.” Dot added. “Your dad and I discussed that, and you won’t be able to take it to college in London cos parking’s a bitch.”

“Bummer,” the pair griped as Georgie pulled out of the pub yard.

As they drove into the Devonshire hills Georgie’s phone chirped so Marty opened it to find a text.

“Go on, read it please Babes.” Georgie asked her.

“Oh shit, it’s from Elizabeth, your mum and Terry have had some sort of row over stuff on Johnathon’s phone. Terry’s found out about you and Elizabeth.

“Well, he can’t touch me but it’s Elizabeth I worry about.”

“You mother wants to see you.”

Georgie pulled over into a layby and they sat in the car discussing options and tactics.

“I’m not ready to see her. Terry might want to come down with her and I refuse ever see him.”

“You could call your mum on my phone.”

“That’ll drag you into it. I’ll speak to dad about it first.”

Marty shrugged. She wanted to normalise the situation between Georgie and her mum, if only to allow Georgie to come out to her mother about Georgie and Marty’s relationship.

“I could call your mother then ask Trevor to speak over my phone. When’s your dad next down the Basin?”

“Tonight probably, though he hasn’t said,” Georgie replied as she phoned her dad and added to Marty.

“I’ll phone him now; it’s gone five so he shouldn’t be working.”

“More like driving I should think. Give it an hour.”

They drove home by a longer, picturesque route then found Trevor already sitting in the Harbour light’s lounge examining some documents. He looked up and smiled ruefully.

“Your mother knows you’re here. They went through Johnathon’s phone.”

“What did she say and what has she done?”

“She wants to see you.”

“Her, maybe; Terry, definitely not.”

“He’s not happy about that.”

“I don’t give a toss. I’m over eighteen. The question is what about Beth and Johnny?”

“He’s trying to persuade your mother to refuse permission to see you.”

“He’ll not succeed. Beth and I are like that,” -she crossed her fingers-, “but it’s Johnny I worry for, Terry will try and turn him into a homophobe.”

Trevor pursed his lips thoughtfully then suggested.

“Tell your mother you’ll only meet her if she comes with Beth and Johnny.”

“You tell her. I’m still not speaking to her.”

“Try and see her point of view. She was trying to keep the peace between you and your step-father.”

“Dad, Terry was knocking me about and physically injuring me. He’s a big man. She should have stopped him dead in his tracks. Instead she just watched and never said a word.”

“Okay then, I’ll tell your mother you’re not ready to see her yet but that I’d like to see my other children. I’ve still got access rights by law.”

“Well, I’d love to see Beth again, and Johnny for that matter. Terry’s got absolutely no guardianship rights over Johnny or Beth. Can’t you go and collect them from Birmingham? They can stay in your cottage next to the river dock-gate.”

“I’ll see what I can do. I’ve got a busy couple of weeks and you’re going up to Uni in three weeks.”

“Well try and persuade mum to let them come down by train.”

Trevor gave a wry smile but agreed to try while Georgie phoned Beth. To her surprise, her number was blocked from Beth’s phone. She cursed angrily as she concluded that Terry had interfered. Next she asked her father if she could use his phone. To their mutual relief, Elizabeth answered by text.

“Not now Dad, it’s a bad time.”

Trevor replied. “Call me ASAP!”

Both Trevor and Georgie had to wait on tenterhooks until the following afternoon when Trevor received a call from an unknown number. It was Elizabeth who explained.

“Our step-father is trying to block all access to Georgie to force her to come home. I’ve bought another phone and I keep it in school. Thanks for the credit card and ask Georgie to call me on this number.”

On receiving the message, Trevor contacted his ex-wife Lucy to repeat the message that despite what Terry was trying to do, Georgie refused to meet with her mother if Terry was present. From that day forward, Georgie blocked contact with her mother and only contacted her sister Beth on her secret encrypted phone during school hours. By this means, Beth was able to bring their younger brother Johnathon secretly to Gloucester where Georgie met him. Naturally, Johnathon wanted to know how Beth kept in touch with Georgie. Beth explained.

“I speak to Dad on an encrypted phone, why would you want to know?”

“Dad’s asked me to keep tabs on you and your phone.”

Georgie became angry at the thought of the younger brother spying on the older sisters.

“That’s fine Johnny, but if you persist, you won’t be seeing me again either. Either you stop spying or I break away from you.”

“But he’s pressuring me. He’ll ban my phone if I don’t co-operate.”

“That’s against the law brother. Only Mum can do that, he’s not your legal guardian or parent.”

“Try telling that to a guy who’s six feet four and built like a tank.”

“Tell the police.” Georgie suggested.

“It’s no matter,” Elizabeth intervened. “Trevor’s got two phones and only I know his private number. It’s not even in my contacts list.”

Jonathon relaxed as he digested the news and they went for coffee in the waterways museum. This museum idea had proved successful and the new waterways museum took up the whole inner corner of the warehouses on the south side of the basin. Georgie and Beth were both proud of their parts in the documented story of the recovery of both ancient boats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yikes!!!

Talk about the “Evil stepfather”! By the spirit of the law in most jurisdictions, that kind of interference by a non-custodial partner could (and should) result in a change of the custody arrangement. Unfortunately more often than not the judicial decision makers (I do not like to call them “authorities”) are prejudiced against fathers, and even more so fathers who remain single. Even though “mommy's” partner is actually violating the children's right to maintain contact with their non-cohabitant parent, something that might fall under child abuse. And there might even be some criminal stalking in the mix.

I hope that Daddy will be able and willing to assert at least his custodial visitation rights.

Terry is a total asshat……

D. Eden's picture

But I think that has already been proven prior to this. They need to involve the police, and if Lucy is going to stand by and idly watch him abusing her children then she is no better than him. Trevor needs to go after full custody of his children and have Terry banned from being around them.

Add in the fact that Jonathon appears to be the worst combination of nosy and weak, and he needs to be cut off as well. He won’t stand up to his step-father, and he is a sniveling little rat who kowtows to the asshat’s demands. He needs to grow up and act like an adult before he gets both of his sisters hurt.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Terry really is a problem

but some of what he's done is illegal, I would think.

DogSig.png

Terry the bully.

With people like Terry things will only get worse. Unless someone intervenes.
They think their word is law, and nothing will persuade him otherwise.
As they say 'a law unto himself.'
Great story, with plenty of twists and turns.

Polly J

I Hate To Say This

joannebarbarella's picture

But it probably needs Terry to actually assault someone and be recorded doing so to get the police and the judiciary involved. They are so undermanned these days that they won't act until they've got a "real" crime to pursue.

Domestic Violence is so widespread that they hate being called to a residence and having to leave after the victim declines to make a complaint.