Dot and Sam 18

Printer-friendly version

Dot and Sam 18

Dorothy Philpot. Landlady of The Harbour Light pub
Sam Philpot. Drag-queen.
Billy Parkins Doorkeeper.
Jessica Merlot The town’ and county archaeologist.
Josephine MacDonald The town and county archivist.
Richard Drummond Town planning inspector
Robert Vincent. Junior planning inspector.
Georgina. (Georgie) Homeless Transgender girl previously known as George.
Bobby Gay boy on the school bus.
Marty Girl on the school bus. (She becomes Georgie’s best friend and lover)
Jack. Marty’s twin brother (Keen runner).
Trevor Aitkins, Georgie’s Biological father.
Lucinda Aitkins Georgie’s biological mother
Terence Georgie’s step-dad
Allison. Old school friend of Trevor
Fred Allisons husband
Elizabeth Aitkins Georgie’s younger sister. Later proves to be sympathetic to her ‘sister’
Jonathon Aitkins Georgie’s younger brother.

“You’ve really landed lucky haven’t you?” Elizabeth enthused as she fiddled with the media controls of her older sister’s car.

“Yes. Georgie replied emphatically. Dot and Sam are good people; and despite what you may think, dad’s a good person as well!”

“Weren’t you scared when Dot offered you a bed? I mean, dad tells me the pub is totally a gay pub!”

“No gays have ever attacked me and I’m known to have my own bedroom. Nobody sneaks upstairs at night, trying my bedroom door . Anyway; dad drinks there as well, does that make him gay?”

“No. We’re the proof of that.” Elizabeth giggled.

“Ha!” Georgie let out a snort of derision. “Plenty of gays have kids, bisexuals, lesbians, even gay men adopt. Gay is not proof of bad parenting.”

“How long were you living rough?” Elizabeth asked as they pulled into the car park.

“Long enough,” Georgie frowned, “but I’m set up properly now. Good home, good people, plenty of fun and yet, responsibilities enough for any eighteen-year-old to keep me grounded.”

“Are you going to Uni or will you inherit that pub?” Elizabeth asked as they left the multistorey car-park.

“I’ve got a place in the student halls of residence London, but don’t think that leaves an open invitation. I’ll be working hard because stem subjects are hard, especially at that college.”

“So if I want to visit you, it will have to be here, in The Harbour Light.”

“Pretty much, or at Dad’s office opposite the pub. He’s got one of those picturesque warehouse cottages next door to that dock-gate office – the harbourmaster’s office.”

Their conversation lagged as they picked their way across the high street then they entered the store. Soon they were checking clothes.

“What d’ you think of this?” Elizabeth asked as she held the dress against her body.”

“It’ll bring the boys slavering after you,” Georgie smirked, “it barely covers your arse.”

“Or yours, if you buy one. Have you got a boyfriend?”

“Nah, not me love. I’m a one woman, woman.”

“What! You don’t like boys?”

“Oh they’re okay in their place but I’ve got a steady girlfriend.”

“Well, I’ll be buggered. You fancy girls!”

“Boo!” Georgie chuckled as Elizabeth’s mouth resembled a gasping fish.

“How does that work?” She finally managed to find her voice.

“Well, I suppose you’d have to call me a lesbian after my surgery.”

“That’s weird. I don’t get that at all.”

“You don’t have to. It’s my gig, not yours.” Georgie exclaimed as she tapped her phone. “My girlfriend Marty will be here shortly; she wants to meet you if you’re agreeable.”

“Oooh yes! I’m curious; what’s she like?”

“She’s pretty, she’s kind, and she’s supportive; you know like friends should be.”

“What do the boys at school think?”

“I think they’ve only realised recently. One of the boys reckoned it was a waste but we told him he was a waste cos he was just a dumb bully. The rest of the boys just get on with life.”

At that, Georgie’s phone gave a bleep and she recognised Marty’s number so she answered immediately.

“Yes. Seriously, she’s with me now. By the side entrance down Cox lane. We’re looking at dresses.”

It took but a couple of minutes for Marty to find them and they exchanged excited greetings. Then they headed for a favourite café. Once settled with their coffees, Marty stared at the pair and nodded her head approvingly as she addressed Elizabeth.

“You look very like your sister.”

“Yeah, that would figure.” Elizabeth grinned.

Marty’s face reddened at the fatuousness of her own remark but she did not lose her smile. It was obvious that Elizabeth had the same nature as her older sister Georgie, and Marty liked what she saw. They chatted over their coffees then Georgie invited Marty back to The Harbour light.

“It’s a new routine tonight, Sam’s been busting a gut to get it right.”

“I’ll phone my mum and sort it,” Marty enthused as she dialled.

After a brief conversation she grinned.

“I’ve got to be back home by nine in the morning. There’s a family get-together for a big lunch and my relatives expect to see me now we’ve finished our exams.”

“I’ll get you there.” Georgie promised. “So now we can lie in until eight and I’ll drive you back.”

“Don’t your parents mind you sleeping together?” Elizabeth asked Marty slightly askance.

“Your parent doesn’t.” Marty retorted; “well, leastways, your dad doesn’t.”

“You lucky buggers!” Elizabeth lamented. “My step-dad would blow his top if I slept with a boy.”

“Yeah, Terry the bully,” Am I just so glad I’m free of him now!” Georgie observed as she pinged the car door-locks.

They piled in and soon arrived at The Harbour light where Elizabeth marvelled at the decorative lights.

“Bloody hell, they’ve gone overboard for the grand opening.”

“Grab yourselves a table, I’ve got to change for the festivities. See you soon.” Georgie declared as she left Marty and Elizabeth to make their own entertainment.”

While Georgie was changing, Dot appeared with soft drinks for Marty and Elizabeth, then not ten minutes later, Dot reappeared.

“One of the girls has reported sick. Marty would you like a couple of hours tabling, - usual rates?”

Marty jumped at the chance but realised she was leaving Georgie’s sister alone. She turned to check.

“What about Elizabeth?”

“If she wants some work as a pot girl, I’m sure we can find her an outfit. You know where the outfits are stored.”

“Are you up for it?” Marty asked. It means you get to see the whole show – and the changing rooms, if you want that is?”

“You’re too young to serve booze, so it would be strictly collecting glasses and stuff.” Dot cautioned her.

“If there’s money in it, I can do that.” Elizabeth enthused.

“Okay girls, take her upstairs Marty and Georgie can kit you out.”

Upstairs, Marty got changed while Georgie met her younger sister and checked the linen cupboard for a suitable outfit.

As she changed Elizabeth smirked salaciously.

“I would have thought it would have been a French maids mini-outfit you know suspenders and heels and stuff.”

“This is for your protection girl. The performers will be mixing with the audience and they know how to protect themselves. Believe me, you don’t, and some of the old perverts in the audience might try it on with you. The drag queens will see you safe. They’re old hands at batting off the perverts.”

“But this apron goes almost to my ankles. Elizabeth protested.”

“Listen to your sister,” Marty advised, “and stay away from bachelor tables; dark corners and stuff. You’re as pretty as your sister and sometimes these oafs don’t know when to call it a day.”

Elizabeth turned to Georgie.

“Are you sure I’ll be safe?”

“I’ll introduce you to Billy. He watches the main doors and the forecourt. That’s where you’ll be working mostly. You’ll be in plain view. Fridays and Saturdays get quite lively. Now, downstairs and I’ll introduce you to the girls. Sam is the boss of the girls so she’ll chaperone you through the changing rooms where they’re getting ready.”

Elizabeth descended with Georgie and Marty then Georgie made the introductions while Sam briefly explained the basic rules of the pub before giving Elizabeth a quick tour of the changing rooms. Beth was a little disappointed by the subdued reception from the drag queens as they sat at their various dressing stations paying great attention to their make-up. She had expected lots of banter and repartee.

“You see,” Sam nodded with a gentle smile. “It’s not all shrieks and hysterics. Those outfits cost a lot of money and the makeup takes lots of practice. These girls consider themselves as professionals. That girl by the big table comes down from London once a fortnight while lots of the other girls are from Bristol, Exeter. Birmingham and Plymouth. This pub has become one of the busiest gay venues south and west of Bristol.”

“I’ve seen that girl on telly.” Elizabeth gasped.

“Well there you are, you’ll be hob-knobbing with the rich and famous. Now get to work on those tables, Billy’s just unlocked the doors..”

For the first hour the job was fairly easy but after that, Elizabeth had little time to chat to Georgie or Marty. The only relief she got was when she loaded the two glass washers behind the bar. Then she had a few minutes relief to chat to Georgie as they restocked the racks behind the bar. By eleven o-clock Elizabeth’s feet were sore and she was grateful for the mid evening break when she found herself in the secluded staff enclave savouring the banter as the drag-queens worked the house. Sam’s first act had gone down well and everybody was in a buoyant mood.

“Well love, how are you finding your new job.” Sam asked Beth.

“My dogs are barking.” Elizabeth sighed as she slumped with relief into a chair.

Sam grinned. “Now try doing it in heels darling.”

“No way, those things must be killing you.”

“Well, I’m not on stage again till two but I’ll do a bit of work amongst the tables.

With that, Dot appeared with a tray of tea and sandwiches and they refreshed themselves. Elizabeth grinned with amusement as she observed.

“All that booze behind the bar and here we are drinking tea or coffee.”

“You’ll learn darling.” Sam cautioned as she studied the crowd. “You don’t want to be doing this in old age babe’s. It’s a young girl’s game. Look to your sister’s example, she’s off to Uni this Autumn.”

Elizabeth turned to study her sister as she served a customer at the bar and she resolved to get to know Georgie better. Beth was glad she had found her sibling and secretly excited to know she had a new sister. For the remainder of the evening she happily worked the tables knowing she was safe from any unwelcome approaches. The drag queens took the flack and watched her back.

By dawn, The Harbour Light had begun to fall silent and the ‘merry-go-round’ of taxis had eased off. Having decided her dad’s cottage offered a more peaceful night Elizabeth plodded wearily across the dock gate and flopped down gratefully onto the bed in her father’s spare room. On hearing her arrival Trevor called from his room.

“D’ you have a good night darling?”

“The best daddy. Absolutely the best but the pub is still noisy.”

“Lunch is booked for one at the pub. Georgie will be disappointed if you’re not there.”

“Does she ever stop daddy?”

“Not on weekends darling. Now get some sleep.”

Elizabeth needed no prompting as she tugged her clothes off and savoured the delightful luxury of the king-sized bed.

“Oh what it must be like to be rich and famous,” she thought as she drifted off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Where’s your friend Marty?” Elizabeth asked her sister Georgie, as she sat down to eat lunch.

“She’s got a big family do. Sam drove her over to her house earlier this morning.”

“She’ll say goodbye at the station when dad takes you home, and please remember. You never saw me. Let dad handle our mother.”

“What about Johnathon?” Beth asked.

“Just say you stayed at Dad’s, which is true.”

With that, the food arrived and Elizabeth was surprised to find she had an appetite. As she finished her pudding, Elizabeth sighed wistfully.

“Wish I could stay for the rest of the festivities this afternoon.”

“Speak to your mum, I’m agreeable,” Trevor suggested, “and one extra mouth is no problem for Dot.”

Elizabeth needed no extra prompting and immediately phoned her mother. The hopeful smile faded as her step-father Terry answered..

“Where’s mum?” She asked somewhat sullenly.

“She’s busy, what d’ you want?”

“I want to speak to her.”

“She’s preparing for Spain, you have remembered we’re going to Spain on Monday, haven’t you?”

Elizabeth’s soft ‘Damn!’ did not go unheard and Terry snapped back.

“Are you telling me you’ve forgotten?”

“No, no I just -.”

“Just what!”

“Oh nothing. I’ll be home tonight.”

Disappointment clouded Elizabeth’s features as she closed her phone and explained to her dad.

“No luck. Spain on Monday and Terry’s paid for the trip.”

“All is not lost. I’ll speak to your mother and find out where they’re flying from.”

“It’s Birmingham, Monday, fourteen hundred to Alicante.”

“That’s not impossible. We can be in Birmingham easily by noon. I can reschedule my diary.”

“Would you Daddy! That would be fabulous.”

“That’s what dads are for.” Trevor smiled as he dialled his ex-wife on his phone.

“Yes, what d’you want?”

Trevor explained his idea and after some objections about knowing what to pack, Elizabeth’s mother Lucinda agreed.

“We’ll meet you at the car-drop at oh nine hundred, don’t forget her passport.”

They agreed as Elizabeth fist-pumped her dad with joy.

“I’ll give you some money to buy a couple of outfits while you’re in Spain. Okay love? Can’t have my pride and joy looking like a scruff.”

“Dad, you’re the best!” She squealed as she conveyed the news to Georgie.

“We’ll have to take an early train to Birmingham then taxi to the airport. There won’t be time to go to Dad’s house and collect his car.”

“So, early to bed on Sunday night.” Georgie advised. “Dad hate’s tardiness so don’t make him late.

With arrangements finalised, They indulged the weekend festivities and turned up at Birmingham airport taxi rank on time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sounds like the bio dad

Is making extra points with all of his flock. The wife probably not so much.

It’s nice to know……

D. Eden's picture

That not only is Georgie getting some of her family back - her father, and now her sister - but that her sister is happy to know her older sister Georgie as well.

However, the risk of exposure goes up as she becomes closer to her sibling. Not only does she have to worry about Allison or Fred slipping up, not to mention the fact that her mother and step-father just might show up at Allison’s home, but the more interaction she has with her sister the more chances there are that her mother will find her.

And we all know that when that happens, Terry the asshole will not be far behind.

Somehow I expect that the airport just might be the incident that tips the balance. We can only hope that when it happens that Georgie doesn’t get hurt too badly. I have the feeling that Terry will act true to form and get physical with Georgie. Let’s just hope that hospitals aren’t involved - and that police stations are involved for Terry. Maybe Georgie’s mom will finally wake up when she sees just how big of an asshat her new husband truly is.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

How And Why

joannebarbarella's picture

Did Georgie's mum let Trevor go and wind up with Terry?

Is Terry stupid enough to get into a brawl with Georgie at the airport? Probably.

However, it's great that Elizabeth is on side with Marty, Georgie and Trevor.

I still wonder what would have happened in UK customs if I had

I still wonder what would have happened in UK customs if the very inquisitive officer checking my passport on my third visit to the UK in as many months had asked just one more question about details for the reason for my visit. In that case I would have had to refer to the Official Secrets Act. Fully motivated (I wasn't going to say anything beyond "Electronics, military") but I still wonder how he would have reacted.