Ride On 46

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 46
How could I not want to wake up like this? Warm, sun easing through the tent, a robin singing sadly off in the hedge and the scent of bacon frying.

Kelly coughed politely outside then unzipped and passed in two mugs of tea. I snuggled down as much as I could as it came in because apart from my knickers I was naked, and, well, apart from my knickers we both were. That’s Eric and myself, not Kelly. One thing had sort of led to another and, as we had tumbled into the bag, the snogging had continued, and that one thing had sort of led the way, and I had discovered the other ‘why?’ of nipples, and, well, Eric was in full working order and, um, handled well.

In all seriousness, the mood, the alcohol and all the physical contact, coupled with the darkness, had taken away enough of our inhibitions to allow what used to be called ‘heavy petting’, and no more, but Eric’s fascination with my chest had been a huge and gratifying surprise, and when I felt his reaction I simply had to help him along, and he didn’t complain, except just before, when he urged me to get my tissues RIGHT AWAY, and that was my first sex since Maria, well, my only sex that didn’t involve her, really. It was strange; everything with her had been a painting-by-numbers exercise, where she said “There” and “Like that, yes” and so I had gone there, like that, and for a while she had seemed content, but I could never quite get there with her. I hadn’t got there with Eric, of course, but that didn’t matter, as he had got there for and with me.

He was all scratchy when he kissed me good morning, and there was still an aroma of beer about him, but I am sure I smelled just the same. I sat up to perform my new ritual of putting a bra on, and he ran a finger down my spine, and the only thing that got me up and out was the smell of the bacon.

It isn’t like a roast, even though it is pork, the smell is so different, and causes me no problems. I was grateful for that as I struggled into skirt and fleece shirt before emerging into a bright morning for breakfast. It would be a simple day, no music to worry us, just let the dew rise off the tents, pack up, and sod off home. As on the way up, hairy and husband would take all our larger stuff back, leaving us just the bikes and small saddle bags. I shuddered at trying to get here with a fully-loaded bike, and Steph agreed.

“You can’t bring a big tent, and trying to change in a one-woman tent is a pain. Especially when you have an optional extra teenager in with you. Right, Kelly?”

“Dunno, I wasn’t allowed my teenager in with me last night!”

Jan gave her a Mother Look, and the girl just grinned. I got the feeling there was something cooking there, but it could wait, Eric was just rousing. As he came across to the table, already in cycle kit, he looked a little uncertain, so I just took his hand and pulled him down into the seat next to me.

“Another long trip home. When are you back at work, love, on Wednesday?”

He looked slightly awkward. “I rang in this morning, caught my manager at home. Sort of booked myself out till after the weekend.”

The sneaky sod. Kelly was clearly itching to speak, though, so I left it. She dove straight in.

“Mum, Dad, you know next year…college and stuff?”

Bill was on top of it. “Yes, my darling daughter”

“Yes?”

“Yes you can keep in touch with Mark and see which universities he is looking at. I assume he wants to do music too?”

“Yeah, but, like, the places that do his instrument, and things, they are sort of, a long way away from home…”

Jan chimed in. “Are you worried about being away and being so far away, love?”

“Well, yeah…sort of”

“Well, I am sure your dad won’t mind a visitor now and again, and we haven’t seen much up that way, so…”

Jan was swamped by daughter-wave, and then she attacked her father. He was still calm.

“You don’t really know this lad yet, love, so we have most of a year to find out who you both are before you give a commitment to college. OK?”

“Thanks, Mum, Dad, you aren’t bad for olds”

That one landed her with the dish duty.

It felt almost painful as we struck the tents and loaded the vehicles, and to my surprise I felt odd in shorts rather than a skirt. I resolved to look at some items of female cycling gear that I had noticed, such as skorts, but for now the mountain bike shorts covered any ‘unsightly bulges’ in that area, and I understood that public perception was all. I wore a little bit of make-up, I had breasts, albeit small ones, and most of all I had a man hovering about me.

Tabby was travelling back with Steph, and after a round of hugs two of us set out on the short ride to the station. I just knew I would be back the next year, leave allowing. We were soon at the station, stowing our bikes in the rather pathetic space, and the stations followed in sequence as we headed South and East. We managed to find a double seat on each train, and I lay on his shoulder, his hand on my thigh, as we headed home.

Passing the site of the Reading Festival, I was struck by the difference. We had left a swathe of grass marked out by piles of plastic bags containing rubbish, ready for collection, and areas of flattened grass from the tents. Reading was a wasteland of mud, rubbish, abandoned tents included, and even from the train we could see the glint of bottles and cans everywhere. So different.

Three Bridges came at last, so we disengaged and made the short ride back to my place, and at no time was the question ever asked of where Eric was to spend his days off. We stowed the bikes, which got me a squeeze of my bum when I bent over to undo the lock on the shed, and then clattered up the stairs to a strong smell of coffee and a shout of “What kept you sods?”

Ginny was in my kitchen, knife in hand and grin on face, as she attacked a small mountain of vegetables.

“Don’t think you’re going to be living on fucking chips again, Price! Straight and narrow starts right here and right now! Hiya Eric, which bed you want?”

He blushed, he did, and it was one hell of a blush, but he managed to get out a comment about first getting in the door, you bitch, before admitting what she already knew. Ginny was grinning.

“We haz got guests tonite. Sally an’ Stewie an’ my girly! Salad now to get you settled, then we can haz green titanium an’ frozz yog for tea!”

Eric was shaking his head. “Annie, love, edge slowly towards the door while I attract its attention. One of us has to escape to tell the outside world…”

Ginny, of course, picked up on that word, and the silliness evaporated.

“Really? Really, you two?”

We looked at each other, then turned to her and nodded together, and the knife was still in her hand as she jumped us both. Eric broke the hug, smiled at her, and pointed at the blade. She looked embarrassed.

“Oopsies…”

Geoff was round an hour or so later with our kit, and after another couple of hugs we started the process of laying things out and sorting laundry. I dug out that first dress from Kate’s suitcase, and after a shower I dressed properly. Looking in the mirror, I thought “No”.

It was a dress for me as I was. It wasn’t one for a woman having a few days with her man. There was another, though, a shorter summer dress that had a lower neckline, and as I now had a bit of cleavage, depending on underwear, that one got the nod from my inner girl. Bare feet, of course…Ginny looked me up and down when I finally emerged.

“Yes, that works. Looking good, Annie Price! Katie will be here in two hours, then another half hour for your trick cyclist and her hired killer”

“Ginny, he does cars now”

“Yeah, exactly!”

And they came, and they smiled, and two of us were hugged almost to death. We had our food, and some wine that Ginny relaxed my reins on a bit, and of course the inevitable frozen dessert, and all through it hands were held and knees stroked, and once more I retired to bed in what turned out to be one small piece of clothing between the two of us. The next day I had my first hurdles to overcome at work.

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't blame

ALISON

'Annie for feeling apprehensive about returning to work.It will be very difficult for her.

ALISON

Oh, the coming crash won't

Oh, the coming crash won't be any fun. Poor Annie. Each time I let myself out, it was harder to go back to the boy façade. There may be snags at work, but getting out of the door in the morning, dressed as a boy, may be the hardest part. (At least I hope so, for her sake.)

Mir

reality bites

kristina l s's picture

After a few days like she's had I just hope not too hard.

Kris

Thank God For Bacon

joannebarbarella's picture

It certainly doesn't smell like roast pork.

Poor Annie, back to boy mode tomorrow. I hope it all works out all right at work. But your secret is the painted toenails. You know and you can have a secret smile and all the others can only wonder why you're smiling,

Joanne

the bra will help too

nothing makes a girl feel more like a bra, especially when you actually need it......

"Let me succeed. If I cannot succeed let me be brave in the attempt." Pledge of the Special Olympics.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Yes, it will

Athena N's picture

Needing it is the important part, though, without that it's more like 'what the fsck am I doing, and who am I trying to delude'. But even with a maximum-compress sports bra under a male uniform shirt, knowing that she needs the bra will help. Of course, the freedom to wear a regular one will help even more, but that's for later.

Ride On 46

With Annie's friends and family supporting her, she will have the strength needed for any obstacles at work.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine