Education in the Hills - chapter 29

Printer-friendly version

Hills_title.jpg


"I was just wondering why she's so sad."

"I think it's probably because she misses her family."

"I noticed she was hugging a teddy bear,"

"Oh that. It is a cute little thing, isn't it?

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W., Annette MacGregor and Holly H Heart
for their kindness, help, support, and input.


Education in the Hills
Chapter 29


By Penny Reed Cardon

December 22, 2004

Sleeping next to someone you love really makes a difference when it comes to how you feel the next morning. As I slowly became conscious, and before I made any movement, I noticed several things; first, my alarm wasn't going off. That meant I was awake a little sooner than I expected and I would be able to get to the bathroom with a dry pull-up. Second, my nightgown had ridden up again. Of course, there was nothing unusual about that. As soon as I'm done with this burn cream I'll go back to the frilly baby doll pajamas. The third thing I noticed was that Mary Beth was very gently running her hand back and forth over my diapered bottom. It felt kinda nice, for some reason it made me feel loved. I just don't remember her rubbing my bottom before, I wondered if it was just because of the diaper.

As nice as it was to lay there and enjoy the sensations brought on by Mary Beth's caressing, I wanted to get into the bathroom before my bladder decided it was too full. When I started to stretch Mary Beth quickly removed her hand, which left me to do a little wondering.

I opened my eyes and looked at Mary Beth, who appeared to be blushing as I greeted her cheerfully, "Good morning."

"Um, morning, Munchkin."

"Excuse me, but I've got to run," I said, as I scooted off the bed and dashed for the bathroom.

Just as I reached the bathroom door the alarm on my PDA went off. Shaking my head, I stopped and turned around. "Timing is everything," I complained, as I went back to silence the alarm.

Smiling, Mary Beth picked up the PDA and handed it to me as I approached. "It could be worse," she commented.

"Thanks," I said, as I took the PDA.

After resetting the alarm, I handed the PDA back and was once again headed for the bathroom. I was again just outside the bathroom door when I realized something was wrong. Shaking my head, I concurred with Mary Beth's sentiment, "You're right, it could be worse, and it is."

"What's worse? You mean?"

"Yes, just now. I guess they're right about timing being everything. Oh well, no sense in being glum about it. I think I'll start my day with a nice hot shower. Well perhaps a lukewarm shower, " I conceded, going to my closet to select a dress for the day.

I came out of the closet to find Mary Beth still lounging in bed. "You getting up this morning?"

"In a little while. Actually I thought I wait around for you to finish your shower. That way I can put your burn cream on before you get dressed instead of after."

"Good idea. I guess this dress can wait out here."

"What are you doing with that dress? We do have classes this morning and choir practice all afternoon. We're supposed to wear our school uniform, aren't we?"

"Doctors orders, nothing tight around my waist, except the pull-ups, for at least a week. Besides, I haven't worn this dress since our escape from Primary Children’s and I figured it was time to get it out again."

"At least you don't have to wear this silly uniform. Lucky."

"Luck has nothing to do with it, more like a freak of nature. I'm the freak and Mother Nature is attacking me."

"Matilda, are you putting yourself down again?"

"No, just trying to be silly. Besides, I like wearing the white blouse and plaid skirts."

"You're nuts."

With a deep bow I accepted her compliment, "Pourquoi vous remercie madememoiselle, (Why, thank you madememoiselle)."

"Passez sous la douche vous écrou, (Get in the shower, you nut)."

I came out of the bathroom to find Mary Beth waiting. I dropped my robe and lay on the bed. Mary Beth proceeded to gently apply the cream as she had the night before, legs, shoulders, back, and slipping her hand under the pull-ups. I felt a little guilty about enjoying the sensation that having her rubbing my bottom gave me, but not guilty enough to stop her.

While Mary Beth got ready for the day, I took the time to work through ‘Carol of the Bells’ a few times.

"Now, that sounds more like it," Mary Beth exclaimed, as she came back into the room.

"Thanks. It still needs some work, but I should be ready to impress Mrs. T this afternoon."

"You ready to go?"

"Let me grab a coat and I will be."

As soon as we walked through the door into the year A lounge, the Black Sheep started in.

"I didn't know we had a dance class this morning."

"Munchkin, you're out of uniform."

"Why you wearing a party dress?"

"Isn't there supposed to be a sash with that dress?"

"So where's the party?"

"Somebody's having a party?"

"Why wasn't I invited?"

"Are you joining the rebellion against these uniforms?"

"All right! Another rebel to join the cause."

"Never mind about your silly rebellion, where did you get that dress?"

"Yeah, I don't have a dress like that in my closet, what gives?"

"I thought all the closets had all the same stuff."

"Well, that's what you get for doing your own thinking."

"Oh yeah! Well, you're one to talk."

"Oh hush, you two, I've seen that dress before, I just don't remember where."

"Now that you mention it, it does look familiar."

"Oh skip the dress, what's with the running to the bathroom whenever your PDA goes off?"

"Hey, did someone do some psychological conditioning on you?"

"Kinda like a Pavlov's dog sorta thing?"

"And why did you crinkle when you sat down at dinner last night?"

"She crinkles?"

I calmly stood my ground, smiling, as twenty-one comments, jibes, and assorted suggestions came my way, at least none were to sinister or embarrassing, that is until the last two. They were starting to go in a direction that I didn't want them to go, and I was thinking, this could take a while. I motioned towards an empty couch, where Mary Beth and I could sit down. I guess they took our sitting down, as a calling for an end to the questions.

'I've missed being part of this family. They may be Black Sheep, but they're my Black Sheep and I wouldn't want to be anyplace else.'

When the creative flow ceased, it was my turn to get back at them. "Only twenty-one? I'm almost disappointed. What's happened to you guys, you get out of practice while I've been away?"

Half of their faces seemed puzzled by my response; the other half appeared surprised. Howard, as usual, was the first to come up with a quick come back, "We're just taking it easy on you, cus you're one of us."

"Oh, that's it, you're taking it easy on me. Tell me, what's the latest rumor, am I supposed to be dying or something?" I teasingly asked. Which caused several of their expressions to change from puzzled to alarmed.

"Not that I'm aware of," Mary Beth quickly replied.

"Why would you say something like that?" Hope asked.

"Because you guys don't go easy on anyone, let alone one of your own. I was beginning to think there might be some wild and crazy rumor going around." 'Which I'm sure there are.'

"Well, there are always a few rumors going around," Em stated.

Tony finished for Em, "We're just not sure which ones to believe."

"Of course, we could create a few of our own, that's always good fun," George added.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure there are enough rumors about me, without fabricating any new ones," I replied, kindly rejecting George's offer.

"Well?" Howard asked.

"Well what?" Aaron asked.

"Well, I was wondering if Matilda was going to answer the questions?" Howard elaborated.

"After everything else that has gone on, you expect her to remember and answer all the questions?" Jenny asked.

"Well, she's the one that spoiled us," Vikk added in defense of Howard.

"I spoiled you! Please tell me how I managed to spoil you?" I complained.

"By answering the questions the first time we heckled you," George piped in.

"Yeah, we've had a lot of come-backs," Howard proclaimed.

"A few of them were almost rude," Vikk added.

"We've been told to hush-up more than once," Sue complained.

"And we've been completely ignored more times than I can remember," George exclaimed.

"But nobody had ever used answers as a come back before," Howard explained.

"When you started answering the questions, it brought our heckling to a new level," Vikk added.

"Looks like I've screwed up again," I mumbled.

Mary Beth put her arm around me, and with a smile said, "Yes, but in a good way."

I looked around at the different expressions. "Oh what the heck. No dance class. Yes, I'm out of uniform. Doctor’s orders. Yes, there is a sash that goes with this dress, but I can't wear it right now. I'm not aware of any party. Same as previous answer. You weren't invited because there isn't a party. No, I'm not joining the rebellion, I happen to like the school uniform. Refer to last answer. You would have to ask my mom where she bought it. As far as I know, nobody else has a dress like this. To my knowledge, all the closets are the same, with this one exception. The next two statements were not directed at me. It should look familiar, it's the dress I wore for my graduation from girl 101, 102, and to the dance afterwards. It's kind of a personal matter, that I'd rather not discuss. No psychological conditioning, at least not that I'm aware of. I had hoped it was that noticeable. Yes and refer back three answers."

The room was silent for several moments before the applause started. 'I really wish they wouldn't make such a big thing about it. Maybe I shouldn't answer their questions anymore.'

As the applause died off, Jenny asked, "What were you referring to when you said doctor’s orders? I have heard some rumors about some burns, can you elaborate?"

"Personally, I haven't heard the rumors, so I can't confirm or deny if they're true. However, the facts of the situation is, that while I was taking a shower at the truck stop in Nebraska, the water suddenly changed and I was hit with straight hot water. Before I could react and get the water off, my back and legs were burned by the hot water. Doctor Harris has ordered that I can't wear any tight clothing, that includes belts, sashes, or elastic waistbands."

"No tight waistbands? What about underwear?" Someone called out.

"Don't tell us you aren't wearing panties!" Someone else cried out, followed by a general wide spread murmuring.

Waving my hands, they settled down. "Of course I'm wearing underwear, that's the only thing I can have around my waist. I'm sure Ellen would have some very strong words with anyone caught wearing a skirt and no underwear. Not to mention how upset she'd be with Dr Harris if he were to suggest that anyone do such a thing.” “It's just not the underwear you'd normally expect." I whispered the last sentence in Mary Beth's ear.

"You can say that again," Mary Beth agreed with a giggle.

"So that's why you've been sitting so gently?" Hope asked.

"That's it," I confirmed.

"So how bad are the burns?" Em inquired.

"Dr Harris says I have severe first degree burns from my shoulders to my knees," I explained.

"So what are they doing about the burns?" Hope questioned.

"I have to put on some cream twice a day, for the next seven days. After that, they'll re-evaluate and see what the next step should be."

"You put a cream on?" Mary Beth asked sarcastically.

"Okay, okay; MayBee puts the cream on my back and legs," I admitted, giving her a smile.

'No need in giving out all of the intimate details.'

"And the crinkle?" Peggy asked.

"She said she didn't want to discuss it," Hope reminded everyone.

I looked at Mary Beth, kinda asking her if I should tell them or not. She responded by shrugging her shoulders, smiling, and putting an arm around me.

I leaned against Mary Beth for comfort, support, and to help build some courage. "I guess you guys might as well know, but don't tell anyone outside of our year. The rest of the school can speculate all they want." I paused a moment, then mumbled, "This is really embarrassing. Ok, to put it simply, while I was acting like Sally, my bladder muscles forgot how to work and it's taking some time to retrain them."

There was a moment of silence before Misa started to ask, "You mean you can't control when you-"

"That's what it means," Mary Beth interrupted.

"But it is getting better. It's just taking some time," I quickly added.

"So the crinkle is-"

"Don't say it," I interrupted. "But yes."

In the corner I heard some snickering. Followed by some stifled laughter as Howard sputtered, "Matilda's being potty trained."

'I thought these guys would have been more understanding. I knew I shouldn't have said anything to-' My thoughts were interrupted by a loud,

SLAP

"What the heck was that for?" Howard complained.

"That's for being an insensitive goat," Vicki scolded him.

"What? It's kinda funny," Howard defended his comment.

"Tell me this, mister funny bones, how funny would it be if the situation was reversed?" Hope asked.

"What are you talking about?" Howard demanded to know.

"Howard, do we have to paint a word picture for you?" Niki started in.

"Easy to do, but for him you better make it a simple picture," Vikk added.

"Okay Howard, listen close, you know that horse you like to ride?" Hope started the story.

"You must mean Lightning," Tony volunteered.

"That's the one. Let's say you're out riding one day and Lightning gets startled and throws you off, breaking your legs. You spend the next six weeks in traction, like Matilda's sister Rachael," Niki continued.

"How well do you think your muscles are going to work after being diapered all that time?" Hope asked.

"Will it be funny then?" Vikk asked.

"I, I guess that wouldn't be very funny," Howard slowly admitted.

"So, is it funny that Matilda is having a problem?" Em inquired.

Shaking his head, Howard graciously apologized, "Matilda, I'm sorry. I was just surprised by someone our age being ... you know. I wasn't thinking about how you must feel. Please accept my apology."

"I know what you mean, Howard; it's surprising to me as well. Even more so because I'm the one having to be ..." I couldn't even say it, I just shook my head.

"Now that we have all had today's lesson in being sensitive to the feelings of others, let's go over today’s schedule," Jenny proclaimed, tactfully changing the subject.

The schedule for the day was brief; everyone, pay attention to Mrs. T's choir schedule and be where you need to be. Breakfast was almost routine; good food, good friends, and just a couple of minor announcements. After a visit with Rachael, we had some free time, being that our first rehearsal was scheduled from 2:00 to 4:00. The rest of the morning I spent with the glockenspiel, with Mary Beth on the couch, listening and making suggestions. By the time 2:00 rolled around, we both felt that Mrs. T would be impressed.

The practice room, our group was scheduled to use, had a glockenspiel setup, off to one side; unfortunately, it was on a tall stand. Fortunately for me, Russell, from year F, and Jean-Paul, from year G, were helpful and moved the glockenspiel off the tall stand and set it on the seats of two chairs that were facing each other.

I was casually plinking away, doing some scales, when Mrs. T came in. "Good afternoon everyone. I hope you've brought your best singing voices with you. Matilda, what do you think of the glockenspiel so far? Are you going to be ready to accompany this small choir tomorrow evening?"

I wanted to save the surprise for a few more minutes, so I replied to Mrs. T's question, by shrugging my shoulders.

The choir was going to be singing ten carols, I'd been given music for five of them. I thought it was strange that I didn't have music for all the carols, until I saw that Terri, from year H, had a flute with her. First they sang ‘The Christmas Song’, followed by ‘White Christmas’, ‘Home for the Holidays’, and ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’, with Terri playing her flute. Then they sang ‘Silver Bells’; which I did have music for, but hadn't practiced. I figured that trying to play something cold would make Mrs. T a bit nervous about me playing with the choir. Of course, having her nervous at that time was a perfect set up for what was to come. I also had music for ‘Let it Snow’. I'd only practiced it twice and it was still pretty rough.

The choir then sang ‘We Wish you a Merry Christmas’ and ‘Feliz Navidad’, which they sang a cappella. When Mrs. T ask everyone to get out their music for ‘Silent Night’ I looked at Mary Beth and gave a little smile. We both knew’ that I knew that one pretty well. ‘Silent Night’ is a fun little carol, and easy to play. Mrs. T smiled as I played with a little more enthusiasm.

Then came ‘Carol of the Bells’; it starts with a short glockenspiel solo. I watched Mrs. T for my down beat. I started out very lightly tapping on the bars, progressively getting stronger. As my four measure solo was coming to an end, I looked at Mrs. T to make sure I was in time and following her lead. To my surprise she wasn't leading, her right hand and baton were resting on the music stand; there was a definite smile on her face. I took Mrs. T's smile as an okay to continue, so I did.

I didn't notice when Mary Beth moved from her place with the choir to standing behind me. As I finished, she stepped up to stand next to me. I was a little surprised when she spoke, "Show off."

"Not me," I timidly replied.

"Oh, yes you were," she giggled.

Mrs. T crossed over to stand on the other side of the glockenspiel. "It looks like you've been holding out on us."

"Oh no. I've never played a glockenspiel before," I professed.

With her arm around me, Mary Beth added, "She did dabble with a piano a while ago."

"Dabble?" Mrs. T questioned. I was about to reply, when she interrupted me. "Well Matilda, it looks like we found a form of musical expression that's right for you. I'll inform Leonard he has a new orchestra member. I also want you to spend the rest of today's free time working with Darryl, to work on your technique."

"Who's Leonard?" I questioned.

"Leonard Renard, the orchestra director. You didn't know that the orchestra has its own director and rehearsal times?"

"Umm, no."

Cheerfully, Mrs. T continued, "I'll introduce you after Christmas. For now, I think we should continue with our caroling practice, don't you?"

The rest of choir practice went pretty well. Mrs. T had us work on the carols that I had music for. She was impressed by how quickly I learned the carols I hadn't practiced.

There was something strange going on at dinner. There were only two visiting psychiatrists, instead of the usual six. There was also no Mr. Peterson and no announcements. Well, Mr. Peterson not being there wasn't that strange, but only two adults to supervise thirty children. Back at Whittier that would be an invitation for a food fight. Here, a quiet and pleasant evening meal was enjoyed by all.

'Gee I like this school.'

I spent several hours with Darryl. He taught me a lot of fun things you can do with the mallets and the glockenspiel, to get different effects.

Our second choir practice for the day, was from 8:00 to 10:00 pm. I thought it strange that they'd schedule a rehearsal right up to our curfew. The second peculiarity about that evening’s rehearsal, was that Roberta was conducting. Later, I found out that Mrs. T was out with one of the caroling groups. I assumed, that was also the case for the missing psychiatrists and counselors.

Our nightime routine went about the same as the night before with one exception; we changed into our nightgown and pj's, after reading our scriptures and saying our prayers. That way I didn't have to get undressed twice in order for Mary Beth to apply the burn cream.

We tried sleeping in our customary positions, with Mary Beth behind me, with her arm around me, but it was too uncomfortable. In the end, I rolled to my stomach and then onto my other side, so I was again facing my dear companion. Holding hands we drifted off to sleep.

December 23, 2004

I woke up in pain.

I'd apparently rolled onto my back during the night. Perhaps it was something to do with sleeping on my right side instead of my left, as I usually do. Whatever the reason, I didn't spend any extra time lounging around in bed.

"What's the matter?" Mary Beth asked, as I jumped out of bed.

"My back hurts," I complained. Turning around, I lay across the foot of the bed on my stomach.

Quickly, Mary Beth got up and came around to where I was laying. "Lift up," she said, as she started pulling at the hem of my nightgown.

"Your back is really red. What did you do?"

"I don't know. I guess I was sleeping on my back, at least I woke up on my back. I just don't know how long I was on my back."

"I know they assigned me medical as a specialty, but I've only started my training in basic first aid. Hum, I don't know about this. Do you think I should try to get Dr. Harris to come look at your back?"

"How am I supposed to know, I can't see what you're seeing? I'm going to have to trust your judgment."

I heard Mary Beth cross the room, and then I heard the dial tone as she pick up the phone's handset. "I'm going to see if Marie or Tina can come here."

A few moments later, someone must have answered. "Hello, this is Mary Beth. I'm calling about Matilda."

"She woke up this morning in more pain than normal."

"She was sleeping on her back and her back is very red right now."

"No. She normally sleeps on her left side, but she started out on her right side last night."

"Yes. I was wondering if you or Marie could come and take a look at her?"

"I don't know if Dr. Harris needs to see her."

"That's why I thought your opinion would be better than what little I've learned."

"Okay, that'll be fine."

"Yes, we're in her room. We'll see you then. Thanks Tina."

"Tina will be here in about ten minutes," Mary Beth informed me, as she sat on the bed next to me.

"I gathered she would be coming here, from your side of the conversation. Do I have to stay like this until she gets here, or can I move?"

Just then my alarm went off.

Mary Beth handed me my PDA as she asked, "Move, what do you mean?"

"I thought I would go change into something dry," I replied glumly. "I also think I should set this alarm a half an hour earlier." I handed my PDA back to Mary Beth.

"I don't see a problem with changing before Tina gets here. Just don't do anything to put pressure on your back."

I shimmied off my bed and headed for my closet. I grabbed a pair of heavy socks, along with a dry pull-up, before I performed a little disappearing act.

"Hello Tina," I greeted, as I emerged from the bathroom.

"Hello Matilda. I understand you've been a naughty girl," Tina chastised.

With a look of surprise, I objected, "Not me! I'm never naughty. It's just Miss Trouble chasing after me again."

"Miss Trouble?" Mary Beth inquired.

"Of course, Miss. You're the one that keeps telling me that Trouble isn't a Mister," I explained.

"Ms, Miss or Mister doesn't matter to me," Tina interrupted, with a chuckle and a smile. "Matilda, I want you on the bed and I want Mary Beth in the next room."

"Ohh, demanding, isn't she," I teased.

"You should have her as a teacher," Mary Beth added with a grin, just before she slipped through the interconnecting door and disappeared.

A moment later Tina called out, "Are you going to close the door?"

"No," came Mary Beth's distant reply. Followed by her asking, "Do I need to close the door?"

My turn to answer, "No."

"I take it you two have an open relationship," Tina commented as she lifted my nightgown over my head. "Lie down please."

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but she has been putting the burn cream on my back and legs," I stated.

"I see. Your legs are looking about as they should, given the limited healing time they've had. Your back however is a bit more inflamed than I would have expected. Lift up please," Tina requested, as she put several fingers inside the waistband of my pull-up, drawing them down to my knees.

"Hmm, you're a bit inflamed here as well. You two haven't been experimenting with bedroom gymnastics, have you?"

"With what?"

"Never mind. Wrong question to ask someone in year A. Mary Beth said you were sleeping on your back. Am I correct in assuming that isn't normal?"

"Normally I sleep on my left side."

"And you don't normally roll around?"

"Not usually."

"If I were you, I'd stay off your back. I don't think we need to bother Dr. Harris with this, but for today I think you should have the burn cream applied three times today, instead of twice. I'll make a note of this in your file and while I'm here, I might as well take care of this morning's application."

"But I haven't had my shower yet," I interrupted.

"Today, you can shower later. Where do you keep the tube of cream?"

I turned my head and called out, "Mary Beth, where's the-"

"In the second drawer of your nightstand," Mary Beth called back, interrupting me.

"She knows and you don't?" Tina sarcastically asked, as she went after the cream.

"She’s been making sure I use it," I answered softly.

"Well, good for her," Tina complimented Mary Beth's actions, as she started turning me into a greased piglet, once again.

After greasing me up and replacing my pull-up, Tina helped me get off the bed. I assured Tina that I could dress myself without rubbing off the cream. Accepting my assurance, Tina left and I headed for my closet.

While I was waiting for Mary Beth to get ready, I spent my time practicing the glockenspiel, instead of playing games with Joshua. The morning getogether held no surprises and no heckling, which was oddly refreshing. Mary Beth and I had an early morning choir practice. And we had received a message from Mrs. T to have a light breakfast.

Our first rehearsal of the day was right after breakfast. Our second rehearsal was during lunch. We had to eat lunch early, because Ellen had scheduled to see me right after choir practice.

"Good afternoon, Matilda," Ellen greeted, as I entered her office.

"Hello Ellen. What did I do now?" I jokingly asked.

"Nothing that I know of. Is there anything you want to tell me?"

"Ummmm, no, nothing I can think of."

"Very well. The reason I asked to see you on such short notice, is to discuss this evening’s caroling trip."

"All we've been told so far is that we'll be leaving at 2:00 pm. What about it?"

"This morning I was told where your group will be going. We don't normally discuss the destinations with the students, they just mix them up, so each year the students see some place new."

"So, why are you talking to me?"

"Because of where you are going and because of your current medical needs."

"My medical needs?"

"Sorry, I was trying to get my point across delicately. I see I've failed. Your need to wear the pull-ups."

"Oh. What about them?"

"Tell me, how often do you use the restroom?"

"I've been setting the alarm on my PDA for an hour and thirty minutes. If it's convenient to use a restroom sooner, I will."

"And, how often do you have to change your pull-up?"

I was a bit agitated by Ellen's question and answered with a bit of hostility. "What, you don't get a daily report on my usage rate? You don't have someone count them when they return the clean clothes to my closet?"

"No, I don't," she replied calmly. "Why are you becoming upset? I'm sorry to have to get so personal, I'm only trying to help you."

"I'm sorry. I remember the laundry people reporting to you when I'd wet the bed. I just figured-"

"No Matilda. When someone who doesn't normally wet their bed does so, it's usually a sign of great stress in their life; so naturally we would want to know about it. You, on the other hand, have what I consider to be a medical condition. Your condition is being taken care of by you and Dr. Harris, so there's no need for anything to be reported to me."

"Oh. So why am I here?"

"As I said, it’s because of where you're going, and your current medical needs. Where you're going is farther than we sent any of our carolers before. Partly, this is your fault."

"My fault?"

"Well, you and Mary Beth. You see, you're both so new to the school and you're both from the Salt Lake City area. In order to protect our students and the school, we wouldn't want either of you to be recognized. So your group will be going north, into Cache valley."

"Cache valley? I've been through there once, that's a long way to go Christmas Caroling, don't you think?"

"I would agree that it's a long way to travel, but what are the chances of you being recognized?"

"Chances are usually referred to in odds or percentages, and I don't think you can express a percentage with a negative number," I jokingly replied.

"I believe you are correct, which brings us to you and your needs. The travel time from here to the first destination will be approximately two and a half hours. As I see it, you have a choice to make; you may request that the bus stop halfway so you may take a restroom break or you could - well, you know. Either way I would recommend you take some extra pull-ups along, just in case."

"That's some choice, have everyone know I can't hold it, or deliberately wet myself. You don't like to make things easy for me, do you?"

"I'm certainly trying, that’s why we're talking right now. It's better to know in advance than be surprised, wouldn't you agree?"

"I suppose so. May I ask who's going with our group?"

"What do you mean?"

"Just that, I'm sure there's a policy about how many adult chaperones must accompany a group of students."

"What does that have to do with it?"

"I was just wondering how many will be upset with stopping every hour and a half. I'm getting to the point that I know when I need to go. I think that deliberately ignoring that feeling and wetting the pull-up would be taking several steps backwards, wouldn't you agree?"

"Indeed I do, Matilda. As for how many will be upset with frequent stops, I don't think anyone will be bothered by stopping. With your permission, I'll see what can be arranged. However, I would still recommend you take a couple extra pull-ups with you, just in case."

"I guess that's a good idea. I don't remember there being a purse that size in my closet, any suggestions?"

"I'd recommend using your gym bag, putting the pull-ups in the bottom, a towel or two on top, and then the glockenspiel mallets folded in the towel."

"That's a good idea."

"Thank you. You'd better get going and get ready. You should be leaving in forty-five minutes."

"Forty-five minutes? I've gotta run, I need a shower and get a new coat of burn cream put on. See you later, Ellen," I thanked Ellen as I rushed out of her office.

"Where have you been?" Mary Beth scolded, as I entered my room. "You do know we're leaving in thirty-five minutes, don't you?"

"Yes, I know what time we're leaving. I was with Ellen," I agreed, while starting to undo the buttons on my dress. Rushing to my closet, I grabbed my gym bag and threw in four pull-ups.

As I rushed to the bathroom I asked, "Would you please get the burn cream and my clothes ready, while I'm in the shower?"

"Sure thing, hurry up. We still have to exchange our PDA's before we leave."

"Oh, I almost forgot about that. Let's see if I can shower in five minutes," I exclaimed, as I closed the bathroom door.

I didn't do too badly. Seven minutes later, Mary Beth was busy applying the burn cream. After that came a full slip, white blouse, a knee length dark blue pleated skirt with a matching jacket, lace anklets and a pair of black pumps, with a two-inch heal. I know, I know, I wasn't supposed to wear a skirt with an elastic waistband, but that's what all the girls were wearing. Lace anklets, you ask? Well, I had to draw the line someplace. I compromised with the skirt, but there was no way I was going to put on a pair of heavy white tights. The waistband was going to cause me enough discomfort. I could imagine how much pain I would be in after nine or ten hours in those tights.

Mary Beth and I were only a few minutes late joining the rest of our group, in the lobby of the administration building. The good news was, we weren't the last to arrive; Susanne and Russell had that honor.

RJ took care of the PDA exchange, after which the whole group headed out to the van. According to what we've heard from some older students, I expected that we would be crowded into a fifteen passenger van. What we found waiting was a small bus, much to my relief. Being the smallest I had been sure I was going to have to sit on someone else's lap. Sitting on someone’s bony knees for five hours, even with a padded bottom, was not something I was looking forward to.

To my surprise, Elder Johnson was driving the bus. That pretty much confirmed my suspicions about his status. I've not seen or heard of him being a teacher, which would indicate that he's part of the school’s security detail. In the seat behind him was a younger man. I looked at him carefully for a few moments, I hadn't seen him before and wanted to commit his face to memory; I'd do some research with Joshua later.

We'd been on the bus for a few minutes when I saw two figures leave the building heading for the bus. I didn’t pay much attention to them because Mary Beth was talking about something. That is I didn't pay attention until the two figures boarded the bus. The first was Ellen, who stopped and talked with Elder Johnson for a few moments before she went down the aisle and sat in one of the empty seats in the back. What really surprised me was the second of the two figures; it was my mom.

I grabbed Mary Beth's arm as I directed her attention. I'm sure my mouth was hanging open as I couldn't believe my eyes. As mom passed by, on her way to join Ellen, she smiled and gently patted my shoulder.

"What's she doing here?" Mary Beth whispered.

"I guess she must be one of the chaperones," I whispered back.

"But you're not suppose-"

"I know, I know," I interrupted Mary Beth's question. "I don't understand it either. I guess we'll have to talk with Ellen sometime, sometime soon."

"The sooner the better, I don't like being confused."

"What are you talking about, you're confused almost half the time," I teased, no longer whispering.

"That may be, but it doesn't mean I like it. Besides, that's why I keep you around."

"To keep you confused?"

"No. To un-confuse me," she said with a smile.

I shook my head as I rhetorically asked, "How am I supposed to un-confuse you, when I'm confused?"

"You're able to un-confuse me, because you're so good at figuring things out."

"You're a nut."

"Yes, but it takes a nut to know a nut."

"That may be, but who is the nuttier nut, the nut or the nut that follows her?"

"Huh?"

There was some muffled laughter coming from the seat behind us. As Mary Beth and I turned to look, Susanne leaned forward. "I'd say that round goes to the Munchkin," she said softly, still chuckling. "Are you two always so much fun to be around?"

"Oh no, we're not always like this …" Mary Beth started.

"… sometimes - we're actually boring," I finished. Which had Susanne giggling even more as she sat back.

The trip down the canyon was uneventful, as was our trek through Salt Lake; although, mostly we were keeping to the roads less traveled. Along the way, we were given an interesting tour of the University of Utah campus, along with a view of the backside of the capital building. Once we hit the freeway on ramp, I stopped paying attention to the scenery and leaned over, resting my head on Mary Beth's shoulder.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" she asked.

"It's been a rough day, I thought I would rest a bit."

"On me?"

"Well, you are softer than the window, warmer too."

"You're definitely the nuttier nut," she groaned, laying her head over on mine.

"That may be, but who is following whom?"

"Oh hush up."

I was enjoying the gentle vibration of the bus, drifting in and out of sleep, when the vibration changed. Sitting up I discovered the reason for the change, we were slowing down and pulling off the freeway. I knew we weren't anywhere near Cache Valley. Being that I had been too embarrassed about my situation to talk with Elder Johnson about needing to stop, I had to assume that Ellen had been able to arrange some extra stops.

As we came to a stop, Ellen stood up and announced, "We're making a short pit stop. You'll have about twenty minutes to use the facilities and stretch your legs. It will be another hour and a half before we reach our first engagement."

She didn't have to tell me twice. As soon as Ellen said 'pit stop,' I was up and dragging Mary Beth towards the door of the bus. I was relieved to have the opportunity to relieve myself. I would have to thank Ellen for looking out for me.

After we'd made use of the faculties, Mary Beth and I ran into Ellen as we were making our way back to the bus. "Thank you," I said as we passed.

Ellen stopped, appearing slightly puzzled. "For what?"

"For arranging this pit stop," I replied.

"Oh, yes, you're welcome. However, after you rushed out of my office, I realized that you and I, and just a few others, were the only ones that knew how far we'd be traveling. It occurred to me that there might be some others who might need a break. So with a little last minute changing of our route, we have time for everyone to relax."

Once everyone was back aboard, we were off. I know I slept most of the way, because I don't remember much of anything between Ogden and stopping in front of the Williamsburg Retirement Community.

I grabbed my bag as everyone began an ordinary exodus. I was happy that Russell and Jean-Paul had agreed to take care of transporting the glockenspiel. Not wanting to seem ungrateful, I waited until they had passed before I stepped into the aisle. Hindsight being the only perfect science, I shouldn't have waited.

When we got into the lobby, Ellen was talking with someone from the center. As for me, I started wandering around looking for a, once again, much needed faculty. I left the lobby going down what appeared to be a major hallway, franticly trying to prevent something from happening, that ten days ago would have been normal.

I was concentrating so hard to control some tiny muscles, that my normal instincts must have been dormant, as I was startled when a kind, older, lady asked, "Are you lost little one?"

Being suddenly startled combined with the instinct of swinging my leg, fortunately the lady was too far away, caused me to break my concentration. The result was predictable, although undesirable, it also caused some embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," she apologized, placing a hand on my shoulder.

Not knowing exactly what to say, I stuttered a bit, "I, I ... I'm with the choir. I, I'm looking for a, a-"

"Oh, did you get separated from them? They're down the other hall, in the-"

"Matilda, there you are!" Ellen interrupted the kind lady and scolding me at the same time. "What do you think you're doing, wandering about all alone? You've got half the choir looking for you."

I stood silently, not really sure if Ellen was upset with me or putting on a show for the small group that had suddenly gathered. I've seen Ellen upset before, but I've never seen her scolding anyone before, this was something new.

"Well, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Timidly I replied, as held up my bag, "I was looking for a restroom."

Ellen's demeanor suddenly changed. "Matilda, I'm so sorry. I was so involved with the arrangements, I completely forgot about you. Here, come with me."

Ellen took me by the hand and led me back to the lobby and then down another hall. About halfway down the hall we made a quick left and then a right, and right again, right into a women's restroom.

"You knew where the restroom was?" I asked.

"I noticed the signs when we were shown to the room where you'll be performing. You just picked the wrong hall to explore."

"Nobody's perfect," I complained, as I entered and closed a stall door.

"Darn," I complained, halfway through the process of changing.

"Problem?" Ellen asked.

"Nothing major, I forgot to throw in some wet wipes."

"Try these." Ellen offered some paper towels under the stall door, one had been moistened.

"Thank you. These should do the trick. WHOO HOO, hoo."

"What's the problem now?"

"Don't they have any hot water around here?"

Ellen laughed as she apologized, "Oops, sorry about that."

A few minutes later we were back with the rest of choir, getting ready for our first performance of the day. Roberta was conducting and the smile on Ellen's face told me that we did very well. Keeping with the school’s tradition, we closed by singing the national anthem. As soon as we started, all the men and most of the women stood and joined us as we paid tribute to our country. With so many voices to drown me out, even I joined in. While we were all singing, I couldn't help but wonder how many of these good people had served in the military. I also wondered if there was something more we could do or say, to say thank you.

After our little concert, we were invited to enjoy some light refreshments. Knowing that we'd be going to dinner after our second concert, and not wanting to perform on full stomachs, we were cautioned to socialize more and eat less. Chatting with people who were six and seven times my age, was an interesting experience.

Our second concert was at the Logan Regional Hospital. We were ushered into a small auditorium, where the audience was a mixture of patients and staff. There were quite a few adults, as well as a large number of children.

As we started each carol, most of the children joined in, along with a lot of the adults. With everyone singing along, the atmosphere was much more festive, which made the concert at the hospital a lot more fun. We were all having so much fun, that after we'd finished the ten carols that were planned, Roberta called out the name of another carol that we all knew, and another, and another. In all, we performed, or rather we led, the audience in singing twenty carols, before we closed in our traditional way.

When I wasn't playing the glockenspiel, I couldn't help myself, instincts and all that, I scanned the audience. What caught my eye was a very sad little girl, maybe five or six. She was in a wheelchair, with casts on both legs. Seeing her reminded me that I needed to spend more time with Rachael. After all, after she's discharged from the Manor's hospital, I may never see her again.

However, thinking of Rachael wasn't what drew my attention to the little girl, in the wheelchair. What drew my attention was how sad she was. With all the cheerful singing going on around her, she had tears in her eyes. Not only was she crying, she was doing her best to hug the stuffing out of a small teddy bear - a very familiar looking teddy bear.

As we were leaving the stage and the nurses were helping the patients back to their rooms, my curiosity got the better of me. It was time for one of my disappearing acts, I almost got away with it.

"Matilda! What are you up to now?" Mary Beth asked, while taking a firm grip on my arm.

"Quick, see the little girl in the wheelchair?" I asked, pointing down the hall.

"Yes, so?"

"Did you see the teddy bear she's hugging?"

"She's hugging a teddy bear, so what. - Hey, isn't that one of the bears we-"

I interrupted her by placing my hand over her mouth. "Shh, not so loud. Yes it is. Come on, I want to find out why she's so sad."

We followed the girl, and her nurse escort, down the hall and around a corner. By the time we rounded the corner they'd disappeared.

"Now what?" Mary Beth asked.

Taking a quick look around I realized how they'd disappeared. "They're on one of the elevators that are going up."

"And just how did you come to that conclusion?"

With my best Holmes voice, "First, they were less than a minute ahead of us and there aren't any other doors with a range where they could have disappeared. Second, they would care for a child of that size in pediatrics. Third, according to the hospital directory on the wall behind us, pediatrics is on the third floor. Fourth, both of these elevators were going up when we arrived at this location."

"All right, your ability to piece a puzzle together is good, but if you call me Watson, I'll tweak your nose. So, what do we do now, go back with the others? You know Ellen will be upset if they have to come looking for us."

"I don't know about you, but I'm planning to scream and run. Well, let's skip the screaming part and just do the running," I said, as I opened the door with a placard indicating that behind the door were stairs. Mary Beth let out an exasperated sigh, shook her head, and followed me up three flights of stairs.

Once on the third floor, it didn't take long to find the pediatrics wing. A nurse confronted us as soon as we walked through the double doors. "May I Help you?"

It was my curiosity that led us here, so it only seemed right that I should take the lead. "Hello. We're part of the choir that just did the concert downstairs."

"Yes, that was downstairs. What are you doing up here?"

"Well, I noticed a girl in a wheelchair; she has casts on both her legs."

"Yes, Jane was at the concert. They just took her back to her room. You aren't related to her are you?"

"No. I was just wondering why she's so sad. I think she was crying all through the concert."

"Being that you aren't related to her I can't discuss her condition. As for being sad, I think it's probably because she's alone and misses her family."

Now I was more interested. "What do you mean, she misses her family?"

"She doesn't get to see her family very often. As I understand it, they have a little farm in the north end of the valley. They can only afford to come into Logan once every two weeks. They won't be back to see her until after the New Years."

"They aren't going to make an exception for Christmas?" Mary Beth questioned.

"I don't know."

"I noticed she was hugging a teddy bear," Mary Beth said.

"Oh that. It is a cute little thing, isn't it? For the last few years, some local school has been sending toys for the children that have to spend Christmas in the hospital. Some of the nurses figured Jane could use a present early."

"If they gave her a present early, are there enough for her to get another one on Christmas?" I casually asked.

"I'm afraid not. Actually, we've had six more children admitted since the school dropped off the toys."

"That's terrible," Mary Beth complained.

"I agree, but some things are impossible to forsee," the nurse sadly agreed.

"Well, we better be going now," Mary Beth said, tugging on my arm.

Nodding sadly, I turned to follow. I paused a moment, turning back to the kind nurse, "Thank you for taking time to talk with us."

"You're welcome. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas," Mary Beth and I chorused.

Quietly, we walked down the three flights of stairs and made our way out to the bus. It was no surprise we could see that everyone else was on the bus, everyone except Mom and Elder Johnson that is. As we approached the bus, Ellen stepped off the bus to confront the two of us.

"Where have you two been?" Ellen demanded. "Do you know we've been turning that hospital upside down looking for you two?"

As Ellen finished I turned and saw mom rushing out of the hospital. I turned back to see Ellen waiting for an answer.

"We were in pediatrics," I replied softly.

"Pediatrics! What were you doing in pediatrics?"

"My curiosity ran away with me again," I confessed, hanging my head in shame.

"And we learned more than we bargained for," Mary Beth tried to defend me.

"That doesn't explain what you were doing in pediatrics,"

"Ellen, perhaps we should discuss this incident later, and privately. I'm sure all the students are hungry," Mom commented, resting a hand on my shoulder.

For a moment, Ellen looked like a child who had just been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. "You're right of course, Edith. As soon as our driver shows up we'll be on are way. As for you two, I'll expect to see you in my office, early tomorrow morning."

"Yes ma'am," we chorus.

Once we were settled into our seats, Elder Johnson came out of the hospital. After he got the all aboard from Ellen, he fired up the engine and we soon found ourselves pulling up to the covered entry of a restaurant called Hamilton's.

Before the door was opened, Ellen's had a few announcements. "For the older students, this will be nothing new. For our four younger students, this will probably be a new experience. So far today, we've received excellent reviews for our two performances. This is what's considered a nice restaurant, and we expect your behavior to reflect positively towards yourselves and the school. Susanne and Russell, I'd like you to escort Mary Beth and Matilda. Leslie and Rafael, would you please act as escorts for Shawana and Cory. As escorts, it's your job to educate our younger students and see that they have an enjoyable experience. Everyone, enjoy your evening, and please, no disappearing acts while we're here." I knew the last comment was directed at me.

Dinner was enjoyable and there were no surprises. Susanne and Russell made good escorts. They helped us with the elaborate restaurant menus and learning how to get what we wanted.

The conversation, while we ate, centered on the trip and my frequent disappearances. Without going into too many details, we explained about my medical problems; which they had some knowledge of, via the ever popular rumor mill. We also told them of our foray into the pediatrics and the reason for Jane's sadness.

After dinner, we drove around for about thirty minutes, looking at Christmas lights, before starting back. We pulled off the freeway and drove through the light display at the Willard Bay State Park. They also had some displays that we were able to get out and walk around. While there, I made use of the temporary faculties that had been made available.

'Note to self for future reference, carry some antiseptic wipes for use on the seat of the public port-a-potty. Second, if you have to use one of those during the winter, wait for one that a woman has just vacated. It may not sound fun or sanitary, but it will be warmer, brrr.'

The rest of the trip back home was uneventful. The other students seemed to be playing a game of musical chairs, the way they kept changing places. I didn't know what they were up to, but I was too tired to care. The process of healing such a large area had certainly taken its toll on me, if I wasn't moving I was tired. I was grateful for Mary Beth's assistance in getting ready for bed. I didn't even notice or care about her seeing me in just my pull up. There was no attempt at sleeping on my right side that night. After prayers and being greased, I assumed my usual sleeping position, left side of the bed, on my left side.

Mary Beth turned off the lights, except for the light in the bathroom, and crawled in behind me. I was barely awake as she kissed my cheek and whispered, "Goodnight my Munchkin,” before she backed away.

I felt a little sad until I realized she was sniffling. She wasn't snuggling close because of my back, not because she didn't want to.

'Some things are worth a little discomfort.'

I slowly worked my way backwards until I bumped into Mary Beth.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Just preventing a little sadness on both our parts."

"What about your back? If I hug you, it's going to hurt in the morning."

"Don't hug too tight, just enough so I know you're there."

We slipped into a peaceful slumber, with her hand gently resting on my side.

* * * To Be Continued * * *

Comments are gratefully appreciated, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Munchkin is back!

Thank you for this new chapter!

Martina

Thank you

I've been waiting to see what's up with the Munchkin. Thanks so much for this new chapter.

The only problem I have now is curbing my impatience for the next chapter. Keep up the good work!

Hugs,
Erica

New Chapter!

Always glad to see a new chapter! I wasn't in a position to read it until I got home but I'm glad it was there!

Thanks, Penny

Samantha

Education in the Hills - chapter 29

Worried about Matilda's condition and whether or not it gets better.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Another great chapter as always.

Renee_Heart2's picture

I hope MaryBeth & Matilda don't get in to TOOO much trouble for her disapearing act at the hospital seeing as how it was on a mission of mercy & to try & give some cheer to a little girl in the hospital with both her legs in casts & missing her family & holding one of the tedy bears that the school had provided.

I'm glad that Elin had enough forthaught to arange the pit stop, & at the nursing home Elin was too busy to even think about poor Matlida at least she could have had her mom or one of the other students take her to the restroom.

Great chapter I hope to see cahpter 30 soon.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I love this!

What a good surprise, to see a new chapter of this story! And a good chapter, full of the Munchkin and her curiousity, and her good hearted caring! Lovely.

Wren

Seconded!

Thank you for continuing this story! Hopefully you will be able to gift us the next chapter sooner than later.

Jessica

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Very excited to see another episode in the life of Matilda...Always elated to read another SPA chapter in any of the stories. Thank you for sharing with us. Look forward to many more (very soon?).

Thank you is far to short to say

Penny I am glad to see you continuing the tale of Matilda and Mary Beth. You keep up enraptured in your wonderful gift for storytelling. Please continue as we all love these stories.

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Surprises

I have to thank you for the nice surprizes with this chapter. First is seeing it after so long time, so YAY! and HURRAY! are at right place. Second that I hope is promising more is apperance of Munchkins mum Edith. I so very much hope, that they (with Mary Beth and Rachel too) will have some private time at christmas together and that cruelest of SPA school rules is loosening up. It would be so, so unfair to loose family, even though others lost theirs, but that rule really needs to change.
And what about little Jane? As I think I know Matilda, she will do something about it and gets visit with Ms. Trouble. XD And there is that question of revenge to Black Bart for later going on. I so do hope it will be something of wicked trickery. Maybe Munchkins crest should be Raven. XD

OH what a surprise to find

OH what a surprise to find this jewell of a story..............it one of my favorites......!yay!

Love it................thanks. Looking forward for some more. :)

Teddies

LibraryGeek's picture

I wonder if they're going to make a bunch more teddies and other toys before Christmas, given knowing about the additional children admitted since they dropped them off? I can see the Munchkin suggesting it.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

I just came across this

Gwendolyn's picture

I just came across this universe a couple of weeks ago and began reading. It's such a great tale. I won't call it pleasant reading exactly, because so many of the parts are so painful. But It has really had an effect on me.

I do hope Matilda gets a straight answer out of Ellen about her mother soon. From what we know from "A New Style of Education", it doesn't sound like it but the poor thing is making so many assumptions based on shaky information that she's all turned around. She deserves an honest answer one way or another. If she can see her mother at least in the halls as a professional, then Ellen needs to give her the clear guidelines. If she can't see her until after graduation when the only thing stopping her is her own sense, then the girl needs the closure. She's getting so many conflicting messages on this issue and her emotions are jumping back and forth. It is reading to me like her relationship with Ellen is getting shaky too. She trusts her, then she feels manipulated and betrayed, then she has to trust her again. Ok my rant for the day is officially over. It's a testament to your writing, but this one issue in the story really had an effect on me.

One other thought on Matilda I wanted to give. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but here goes. Matilda strikes me as a kid who is so intelligent and so right about so many things that she usually assumes that she is right. Even when she has incomplete information she thinks her thinking is right. So if you leave her to draw her own independent conclusions on a really important issue she very well may put 2 and 2 together and get 22, and here's the important part, NOT check with an adult. She's SO very smart that she needs more clearly defined boundaries than other kids her age, not less. This is clearly illustrated when Ellen was trying to guide her around her mother early in the story. If Ellen had explained to her exactly what was happening and why then she would have been sad but she would have never found the no contact rule. She could have been told that the current rule is no parental contact in school, and until that rule is looked into we are going to guide you two around each other. Readers don't even know that is actually the case. Matilda believes it though. Could Ellen been doing that actually to help Edith rather than Matilda? I would be so glad to see this particular mess unravel and everything gets laid out so Matilda at least knows what to expect to happen regarding her mom. Does Ellen eventually have to just tell her? Does Matilda finally ask the question? If I'm wrong, I look forward to the next chapter. If you like my comments, of course feel free to use them as you see fit.

Still doesn't understand

Jamie Lee's picture

It seems Mary Beth has a thing for a munchkin in pull-ups, judging by her actions that one morning.

Matilda's hope came true when Mary Beth didn't bat an eye when asked to apply the burn cream. In fact, the way Mary Beth acted when asked showed a big change in her attitude towards their relationship.

Get an idea, act, Matilda's normal course of action. And the result, every time is someone reading her the riot act. Even though they were in that hospital they both could have been grabbed at any time once they left the group. And if they'd been followed for that explicit purpose, no one would have known for some time.

Because Matilda acts before thinking, it'd be a good idea to assign someone to be her escort any time they leave the school. With instructions of saying no to any idea or none bathroom request she makes without first asking one of the adults with them.

Others have feelings too.