Being Christina Chase | Chapter 17: Thanksgiving

Printer-friendly version

        Christina sat on the bus to Dover, leafing through the current issue of Vogue magazine, where she'd dog-eared a few pages containing some looks she wanted to try out with Steph.

        This time, her visit to the Transformations Boutique had not been as traumatizing as the first time. Though the place made still her feel extremely uncomfortable, she tried to look at it as though it was an ordinary salon visit. The Brazilian wax wasn't quite as painful as the last time as her pubic hairs had never quite grown back to their old thickness. She supposed there was no real need to wax her bikini area, but she had to admit that the feeling of her panties caressing her baby soft skin made her feel more secure in her new role.

        She was wearing clothes that were suited for travel. She had on her favorite pair of boot cut jeans. Her high heeled leather boots were a recent purchase. On top she wore a red, poorboy style turtleneck sweater. Finishing the outfit was her new green wool peacoat jacket.

        She hadn't planned on buying the jacket; that purchase had been compelled by her new awareness of fashion. Years ago, she would have debated the existence of a "fashion sense," but now she was aware that such a thing was as real as taste or smell. When she was shopping online, she found the peacoat and immediately realized that it was the missing key in a number of her new Fall outfits. It wasn't an impulse buy; it was tidal gravity. She couldn't explain the attraction to someone who didn't have a fashion sense; it was something you could only see if you were open to the experience. It was similar to how she had never really noticed just how dirty her apartment was until after Misha had taught her to keep house.

        Christina's hair had returned to its former glory and her newly pierced ears sported a set of basic hoop earrings. Between the new clothes and jewelry, it was obvious, even to herself, that she was reveling in her femininity. Christina never thought of her self as ugly when she was a boy, but she'd never though she was good looking either. Christina, the girl, was beautiful, sexy, and glamorous. She could see it on the faces of the people she passed. It was a powerful feeling. She thought it was foolish to not enjoy that when she had the opportunity, even if it were just temporary.

        It wasn't the clothes, the jingle of her new bracelets, or the smell of her perfume that recalled her feminine side as much as the weight of breasts on her chest. It wasn't disorienting like it had been the first time she'd worn them. Instead, it was a pleasant, familiar feeling. Being a girl was coupled in her mind to her family and Oak Grove; it triggered warm feelings and memories. Just wearing her breasts was enough to make her feel relaxed. Her false vagina was another story. It was restricting and mildly uncomfortable. She knew from experience that she would adjust to the feeling. Though it should have all felt strange, being a girl was something Christina rationalized as "normal" under the circumstances.

        It was exactly that sort of thinking that allowed Lucille to sell her a new, smaller waist cincher. Christina's waist had shrunk again, not because of wearing her old cinchers, but because of her lifestyle. The long hours at work combined with too many skipped meals had taken at least five pounds from her. She needed a smaller one to have any effect on her ever shrinking waist.

        The lead up to Thanksgiving had been hard, but the tough times at work were almost over. She just had to ride it out until the end of the year. None of it mattered right now; Christina let it all fade away as she sat on the bus. She was exhausted as usual, but thoughts of seeing her loved ones prevented her from sleeping.

        With every hour that passed, suburbia waned, and was replaced by green woodlands and mountain vistas. The sun crossed overhead, resting finally on the horizon as the day was consumed. What Christina felt could only be described as homesickness. She wasn't sure when the switch had happened, but she no longer thought of her dank little apartment as "home". She hadn't had a place that felt like a real home since her father died. All the places she had lived with her mother and Danny had just been glorified closets. When Christina had first moved in, she was very happy with her tiny apartment. After experiencing life in a real, loving home again, her place felt empty and lonely. Just like her fashion sense, it was a new sort of awareness. Once you had it, there was no going back.

        Though Christina was spent from another month of long hours, she found new energy when the bus pulled into the Dover station and she saw the old green truck waiting for her. Shoving her Vogue into her pocketbook, she rushed to the door. She scanned the station in the dusk's thin light for her cousin Andrei. She was surprised when she saw her uncle waiting for her.

        "Uncle Alek!" Christina shouted with glee. She ran to her uncle and threw her arms around him.

        "Hello Tina," her uncle laughed heartily. He held Christina out at arms length and said, "Let me look at you."

        If she'd known that her uncle was going to pick her up, Christina would have worn something nicer.

        Alek looked his niece over and his face wrinkled with concern. The smiling girl that stood before him was his beautiful niece, but she was changed. He could see hints of bags under her eyes through her makeup. Her body looked wasted and frail; he could tell that she was worn thin.

        "Tina, you look so tired," Alek exclaimed.

        "I'm okay Uncle Alek, I just couldn't sleep on the bus is all." Christina looked away. She didn't want her uncle to know how many hours she was working or how exhausted she really was.

        Alek grabbed Christina's bags and whispered, "Come Tina, we will take care of you." He led Christina to the truck and loaded her suitcases into the back while she got in. Being in her uncle's orbit had a calming affect on Christina. All the stresses of her city life completely melted away; she felt loved and protected. Christina's eyes became heavy. There were so many things she wanted to talk about, but it would have to wait. She cocked her head onto her shoulder and drifted to sleep.

 

        Christina awoke when she felt her uncle's giant hand on her shoulder. Alek lifted Christina out of the truck and placed her onto the ground. Christina was startled as she felt her boots sink into snow. The chill in the air made it clear that winter came much earlier on the mountain. She shivered and held her uncle for warmth as they went in through the side door to the kitchen.

        The entire family was waiting for Christina and Alek's return. Alek took Christina's bags upstairs and left her to greet the family. Boris rushed to Christina's side and rubbed his head underneath her palm. Nina and Andrei began speaking over each other, both hungry for Christina's attention.

        Misha shushed them both and said, "Christina has had a long trip, and I am sure she is hungry."

        Christina agreed as she took off her coat, "Yeah, I could eat a little something I guess."

        Misha sat her niece at the kitchen table and heated up some roast left over from dinner. Christina fielded questions from her cousins about everything from work to her love life. Misha put an end to the interrogation when she placed a gargantuan plate of food in front of her niece.

        "Aunt Misha!" Christina exclaimed, "I can't eat all of this!"

        "You've lost weight dear," Misha admonished. "You need to eat."

        Christina knew better than to argue. As she placed a forkful of mashed potatoes into her mouth, she closed her eyes and savored the taste as the potatoes melted on her tongue. She hadn't had a real, home cooked meal in almost six months.

        When Alek returned to the kitchen, the family sat and chatted while Christina ate. They talked about what they'd been doing since the last time Christina was there. Nina talked about life in high school, while Andrei bragged to his cousin about his latest projects in the barn. Christina did more listening and eating than speaking. She did find time to mention how much she was looking forward to helping Misha prepare Thanksgiving dinner the next day.

        Christina was nowhere close to finishing everything on her plate when she announced she was full. After Misha cleared Christina's place, Alek stood and said, "Everyone, you can talk to Christina tomorrow. Now it is time for her to go to bed."

        "But Dad," Nina protested, "It's still early!"

        "I'm not really tired Uncle Alek," Christina added timidly.

        "Tina, you look exhausted, and you will go to bed right now." There was no anger in Alek's voice, just a fierce certainty that told Christina that the subject was not up for debate.

        Obeying her uncle, Christina said goodnight to everyone. She left the kitchen and went upstairs to her room. Stripping out of her clothes, she stood naked except for her cotton thong panties. The thong was part of Christina's new liberated shopping habits. She didn't feel ashamed when she bought girl clothing this time, in fact, she decided to have fun with it. She'd read in Elle Girl that the right choices in underwear could make you feel sexy even when you were dressing down. The feeling of the thong nestled between her hairless cheeks made her feel deliciously naughty.

        She put her clothes away, then selected a sleepshirt to wear. She pulled it over her head and examined herself in the mirror. The sleepshirt was a simple pink jersey with blue sleeves that came down just below her elbows. The front was adorned with a sleeping cartoon kitty cat with a bow on her head.

        Shivering from the feeling of the cold wooden floor under her feet, Christina walked to the bathroom. She closed the door behind her and sat on the toilet, gasping at the kiss of the cold porcelain on her bare bottom. Once she was finished with her business, she went to the sink to remove her makeup and brush her teeth. She didn't care for being sent to bed so early, though she had to admit that she had been looking forward to sleeping in her bed for months.

        When she left the bathroom, she found her uncle waiting in the hallway. All the annoyance she felt washed away when she saw Alek's paternal smile. He took Christina's tiny hand in his and led her back into her bedroom. Alek released her hand and walked over to her bed. He pulled back the thick covers and patted the mattress. Christina grinned and hopped into bed. She straightened out her sleepshirt and her uncle pulled the covers over her.

        "I haven't been tucked in since I was seven years old," Christina giggled.

        Alek laughed and exclaimed, "Then it has been far too long. Nina outgrew it when she was twelve. And Nastya," Alek recalled, "When Nastya was only six years old, she told me that she had slain every last monster under her bed."

        Christina laughed and said with mock seriousness, "My bed has been monster free for quite some time. The closets I'm not sure about."

        "I would always check Nina's closet right after going through the list."

        "What list?" Christina asked as she regressed into infantile glee.

        "First, I would check to see if she washed behind her hears." Alek moved Christina's earlobe with his large, rough finger and checked behind it.

        "It's clean," Christina giggled.

        "Good!" Alek praised. "And your teeth?"

        Getting into the spirit of the game, Christina smiled widely, showing off her white teeth to her uncle.

        "Excellent. Good girl. But, there is something on your nose!"

        Christina tried too look at her nose to see what she could have possibly missed and asked, "What's on my nose?"

        Alek leaned forward and pecked her on the tip of her nose and said, "A kiss."

        Christina laughed and gushed, "Uncle Alek!"

        Alek stroked his niece's hair and said, "I want you to get some real rest. Do not think I have not noticed how hard you are working."

        Christina, again under her uncle's paternal spell, nodded and said, "Yes sir."

        "Is there anything you need before I leave you?"

        Christina reached behind her neck and unclasped her necklace. She removed it and put it into Alek's large palm. Christina whispered, "Could you put this on my nightstand?"

        "Of course, Tina." Alek responded lovingly. He reached over and deposited the gear on the table and observed, "You wear this always, do you not?"

        "Yes. It's the only thing I have left in the world from my father."

        Alek nodded and kissed his niece on the forehead. He whispered, "Goodnight, my dear," and walked to the door.

        "Uncle Alek!" Christina objected. A playful grin crossed her face and she whispered, "You forgot to check my closet."

        Alek laughed and poked his head into her closet. "All clear," he announced.

        Christina giggled, replying sweetly, "Goodnight, Uncle Alek."

        Alek replied, "Goodnight, Tina." He turned off the lights and closed the door behind him.

        Christina wrapped her blankets around her and between her legs. She reveled in the guilty pleasure of being babied by her uncle. Now that she was tucked into her comfy bed, she felt the toll of weeks of late and restless nights. She grabbed one of her pillows and clutched it to her chest as she drifted off into a deep and serene sleep.

 

        When she awoke the next day, Christina opened her eyes and looked around. It was true- she was actually home. She relished the sight of her bedroom; the chest of drawers, the vanity, and, of course, the canopy over her bed. Glancing out the window, she watched the snow falling gently. It felt as though she'd slept for a week. She could smell the delicious scent of the turkey cooking in the kitchen beneath her. At that, she sat up in bed. She realized, the turkey was already cooking ... She shot a glance at the clock and saw that it was almost one o'clock!

        She jumped out of bed and threw on her robe. Christina bumped into Andrei on the way down the stairs as she rushed to the kitchen. She called, "Sorry!" to her older cousin as she turned the corner into the kitchen. Nina and Misha were tending to the stove and cleaning off the table.

        "Oh my God!" Christina exclaimed, "I slept through the turkey?"

        Misha turned to her niece and touched Christina's cheek with her hand. "Do not worry child," she said.

        "I wanted to help," Christina sighed dejectedly.

        Nina said, "Dad was right; I guess you were really tired."

        "Yeah, I guess so," Christina admitted, "I didn't even realize."

        "Go upstairs and get dressed," Misha consoled. "There is always more to do."

        Christina nodded as she promised, "I'll be right back."

        Christina heard Misha call, "Take your time, dear!" as she scurried back upstairs. She saw that Andrei's door was ajar. She'd never been in Andrei's room, and she was very curious to see what it was like. Poking her head through the door, she saw Andrei sitting on his bed. There were horrendous piles of clothes and junk; not a single square inch of floor was visible beneath the trash. It was comforting to know she wasn't the only slob in the family.

        "This place is a sty!" Christina exclaimed.

        Andrei looked up to see Christina's smiling face at his door.

        Christina stood there for a while then joked, "Come on in you say? Sure! Why not."

        Andrei watched his cousin's slender legs as she tiptoed in her teensy sleepshirt and robe through the minefield of papers and dirty underwear to his bed. He grabbed one of his pillows and held it in his lap to obscure the erection that was quickly growing in his pants.

        Christina pushed aside a pile of books and sat next to him. Making a pouty face, she apologized, "I'm sorry. I just had to see what your room looked like. Don't be mad."

        "I'm not mad," Andrei stumbled, "I would have cleaned up a little if I knew-"

        "Please," Christina interrupted "My room is disgusting too."

        "Your room is spotless."

        "Oh no," Christina corrected, "I mean my place back in the city. It makes your room look like the Taj Mahal."

        Andrei wrinkled his brow and asked, "What's the Taj Mahal?"

        "It's some kinda fancy palace in India I think. I dunno really, but from the pictures, I bet it's super clean inside."

        Andrei laughed. "And you are an expert in places you've never been to?"

        Christina elbowed her cousin and retorted, "Well someday we can go together, and I'll ask the janitor."

        "Okay, it's a deal," Andrei joked, "We'll travel the world and visit all the janitors."

        Christina giggled in response. Noticing that Andrei had a picture on his nightstand, she reached over him and took it into her lap. It was one of the pictures from her first visit; she and Andrei were standing alone in front of the barn. "You have a picture of us on your nightstand." She leaned over and put it back, adding, "That's so sweet."

        "I ... I uh," Andrei blushed, "It's just a good picture."

        Christina smiled at her cousin, and Andrei couldn't suppress a smile in return. It was cut short when Christina suddenly stood up. "I'm a mess," she exclaimed. "It's the middle of the day, and I haven't even showered yet."

        Andrei looked at his cousin in her cute sleepshirt and then stared at a pile of dirty laundry on the floor. "You look fine," Andrei choked, "You always look great."

        "You don't have to be polite," Christina said appreciatively. "I really should get ready though. I can't wear this all day," Christina said as she straightened out the bottom of her sleepshirt.

        Andrei muttered, "That wouldn't be so bad ..."

        "What's that?" Christina asked.

        "Nothing," he recovered, "You should go and get ready."

        Christina walked to the door and called back, "I should leave you alone so you can get dressed too."

        Andrei stood up and said, "I am dressed."

        Christina looked back at her cousin. He was wearing a pair of old jeans and a flannel shirt. Christina laughed but then stopped when she realized Andrei wasn't making a joke. "Andrei," Christina objected, "It's Thanksgiving! We should all wear something nice."

        Andrei cleared his throat and answered, "Right. Something nice. I know that." He grinned sheepishly as his cousin glided out of his room.

        Christina went down the hall and into the bathroom. After a quick shower, she returned to her room to get ready. She slipped into a delicate lace panty and bra set and squeezed herself into her brutally tight waist cincher, wincing at the pain it caused. She had no plans to wear the item often; she'd already done some damage to her waistline and she had no intention of doing more permanent harm, but today was a special day. Going through her closet, Christina took out a full length black dress adorned with golden floral embroidery. She had bought it specifically for this day. It was a little formal, but she wanted to enjoy the first real family Thanksgiving she'd had in years. She dropped the dress over her head and fussed with it in the mirror. The dress had a deep neckline that proudly showed off her bust.

        Satisfied with her clothes, Christina sat down at her vanity and turned her attention to her face and hair. It took her nearly thirty minutes of primping and fussing to look just right. After slipping into her high heels, she gave herself one last inspection. She thought she looked good, but the only opinion she really cared about was her uncle's.

        On the way out the door, she misted herself with the perfume atomizer that was on her vanity. Finally ready, Christina descended the staircase and returned to the kitchen.

        "Tina," Misha exclaimed, "You look beautiful."

        Christina smiled. "I'm sorry I slept all day. Is there anything I can do to help?"

        Misha nodded as she tended to a simmering pot full of string beans. "Yes dear, you can set the table." She touched Nina on the shoulder and said, "Go and find your father and Andrei. Tell them that dinner is almost ready, and to come to eat."

        Nina ran off while Christina took the plates out of the cabinet. She was nearly finished with the place settings by the time Nina returned with her father. Alek was dressed casually; not as well as when he took Christina to church, but he had dressed up somewhat for the occasion. Christina took a seat next to her uncle and grinned, hoping for a compliment on her new dress. She was crestfallen when he chatted with Misha.

        At his wife's request, Alek went to the oven, removed the giant turkey, and carried it to the middle of the table. Sitting down with the carving knife in his hand, he asked, "Where is Andrei?"

        "He said he's not ready yet," Nina explained.

        "Not ready? What is he doing up there?" Alek asked testily.

        Christina stood up and said, "I'll go get him."

        "Good girl," Alek said. "Tell him we are all waiting."

        Even Boris was pacing the kitchen nervously, waiting for the turkey to be carved.

        Christina stood for a moment in front of her uncle, expecting he would notice her dress or at least her hair, but he did not say a word. Hoping that Alek was merely hungry, Christina went up to the second floor and knocked gently on Andrei's door.

        "I said I'm not ready Nina!" Andrei growled.

        Christina jumped back at the sound of his voice then timidly offered, "It's Christina."

        Andrei immediately opened the door. He stood in a formal pair of slacks and a clean white shirt, and his face was flush with frustration. A tie hung unevenly around his disheveled collar.

        "Uncle Alek is waiting for you," Christina said. "I think you're making him cranky."

        "I'll be down in a minute."

        "What's the problem?" Christina asked.

        "Nothing," Andrei replied stubbornly.

        Christina shot a glance at his tie then eyed her cousin knowingly. She took his hand and dragged him to her bedroom. She positioned him in front of her full length mirror and started working on his tie.

        Andrei took a deep breath and let Christina help him.

        "I can't do it this way," Christina complained. She went to the hall closet, retrieved a foot stool, and placed it behind Andrei. Attempting to balance on the stool in her high heels, Christina wrapped her arms around her cousin and leaned her chest against the back of his left shoulder. She could barely reach around him as she fiddled with his tie.

        Andrei was awash in the sweet scent of his cousin's perfume. He could feel her breasts pressing against his back as she fixed his tie and straightened his collar. Once she was done with the tie, Andrei felt his cousin's fingers along his scalp as she brushed his hair with her hands. The sensation was maddening.

        Stepping down from the stool, Christina came around and took a look at Andrei from the front. "You clean up quite nicely," she proclaimed.

        "Thanks," he mumbled.

        Ever the perfectionist, Christina stood in front of Andrei and played with her own hair in the mirror.

        Andrei found her every movement enchanting.

        "Do you think this dress looks good on me?" Christina asked.

        Andrei swallowed and said, "Yes, you look beautiful."

        She spun around and looked him in the eyes, still upset that Alek hadn't noticed. "Really? You're not just saying that?"

        "I really mean it," Andrei said seriously.

        Christina smiled and said, "Thanks." She grabbed Andrei's sweaty palm with her tiny hand and added, "We'd better get downstairs before anyone wonders what happened to us." She led her cousin briskly through the hallway and down the stairs. The two cousins entered the kitchen hand-in-hand.

        Misha, Alek, and Nina looked at Andrei in astonishment. Even Boris somehow seemed surprised.

        "Andrei, you're wearing a tie!" Nina exclaimed.

        Andrei cleared his throat, but he did not respond.

        "I think he looks good!" Christina defended playfully.

        "He actually does," Nina gasped, "But, I don't think I've EVER seen Andrei wear a tie before in my whole life!"

        "Leave your brother alone," Misha chided, "He looks very nice. Let us all sit down and eat."

        Christina and Andrei took their seats, and the family said grace. Alek, still testy from the long wait, carved into the bird with a vengeance. Once Alek's aggressions were taken out on the massive turkey, the family enjoyed the meal together.

        Christina was in a state of complete bliss; this felt like first real holiday meal she'd had in over a decade. She felt as though she had known these people her entire life. She didn't even mind being a girl today. Being Alek and Misha's niece actually made her feel special.

        Alek and Andrei devoured an enormous amount of food. Christina, though she savored every bite, ate even less than Nina. Months of irregular work hours and poor eating habits made it impossible for Christina to eat much without making her stomach upset. Still, she was content to nibble at the delights that Misha had prepared.

        When everyone, including Boris, was finished, the family retired to the living room. Christina had taken dozens of pictures of the city with her digital camera, and the Levchenko's passed the time looking at the prints. They all were curious about Christina's life away from home, and none of them had ever been to the city.

        Christina showed them pictures of marketplaces, museums, and busy city streets. Most of the pictures were from last year, long before any of the problems at work had started. Christina had weeded out any pictures of herself or Amy. While she did have some pictures of her office, and some of the people at work, she'd removed all the pictures of her apartment. She was far too ashamed of her bare walls and ratty old furniture to let anyone see them.

        After an hour or so, the family dispersed. Andrei went out into the cold barn to work, while Nina went upstairs to answer a phone call from David. Christina and Misha were left to clean up. Still feeling guilty from sleeping all morning, Christina insisted on doing most of the work. When Christina started mopping the kitchen floor, Misha shooed her out of the kitchen and demanded that she take a break. Christina wandered into the living room just as Alek came in the front door carrying a tremendous load of chopped wood.

        Christina rushed to him and said, "Let me help you with that!"

        "Nonsense!" he guffawed, "I do not want you to ruin your pretty dress."

        Christina held her hands behind her back and grinned furiously. After Alek dropped the load of wood in the bin next to the fireplace, she asked, "Do you like it Uncle Alek? My dress?"

        He smiled and said, "Of course Tina, you are beautiful."

        Glowing from her uncle's attention, she gushed, "Thank you, Uncle Alek." She added, "I didn't realize the fireplace actually worked. I mean, most of the fireplaces I've seen were just for show."

        "This fireplace is quite real, I assure you." He motioned to the couch, "Have a seat and I will build you a fire."

        "Oh, you don't have to do that," Christina dismissed.

        "It is no trouble," Alek insisted.

        Christina did as she was told and took her seat while Alek arranged two thick logs in the fireplace. When he had the beginnings of a fire, he joined his niece on the couch.

        Christina looked up at the large man's face. He looked nothing like her father; Alek's jaw and shoulders were wide and strong. Though his mannerisms were gruff, they disguised a kind soul. Christina's father, as far as she could remember, had been as tall and thin as she was. Alexander Chase had always been absent minded and analytical, though even with his busy schedule, he'd always made time for her. Even though the men were different, Christina felt a similar warmth from her uncle that she remembered from her father. Maybe it ran in the family, or maybe it was just the feeling of having someone in her life again. Whatever it was, she was drawn to it. Thirteen years without her father couldn't extinguish her need for that kind of love. Perhaps it was her craving for Alek's paternal attention that allowed Christina to feel no shame in acting like a girl for her uncle.

        Leaning against the older man's shoulder, Christina said, "Thank you for having me over for Thanksgiving. I really enjoyed it."

        "You are always welcome Tina. You can stay whenever you wish; it does not have to be a holiday."

        "I missed you so much," she confessed.

        Alek turned to his niece and gave her a serious look. "Why do you not tell me what is really going on?"

        Christina felt her stomach sink as though she had just rolled over the top of a roller coaster. What did her uncle mean? Her breathing became shallow, and her eyes went wide with fear.

        Alek continued, "Why are you working so much?"

        It took Christina's mind a moment to realize that Alek didn't suspect her true identity. Even though she knew she was in no danger, the tightness in her chest would not abate.

        Alek held Christina's hand and said, "Tina, you are shaking. Do you not feel well?"

        "I'm ok," Christina croaked, finding her voice, "I'm just a little chilly."

        "Wait here," Alek commanded before going down the hall to the master bedroom.

        Christina took large gulps of air as she recovered. Her head was swimming, and she could feel a warm sensation returning to her hands.

        Alek returned in the room carrying an old quilt. Sitting down next to Christina, he wrapped the blanket tightly around her. He draped his thick arm around her and pulled her close. "Is that better?" he asked.

        "Yes," Christina gasped as her breathing returned to normal.

        "Why have you been coming home so late at night?" Alek repeated.

        "It's nothing really," Christina dismissed. "The company I work for lost some people, and they haven't replaced them yet, so we all have to pitch in a little until the end of the year." Christina wasn't going to lie, but she decided the whole truth was more information than she wanted to share.

        "Why have they not hired more workers?"

        "Um ... they're waiting for the end of the year. They're going to hire people in January." Christina omitted the part about raising capital.

        "I see," Alek said slowly. "You know I do not approve of you working weekends."

        Christina stared into the fire and acknowledged, "Yes sir, I know."

        Alek pressed, "How much time have you been spending at work?"

        Christina winced and sidestepped the issue. "Oh you know, not too much. Just a little more than normal."

        Alek took his niece's chin in his large, rough hand and guided her head so she was looking him in the eyes. "How many hours do you work each day." Alek phrased this as more of a command than a question.

        Christina bit her lower lip, unable to escape her uncle's gaze.

        "Tina ..." Alek said with a hint of annoyance.

        "Well, technically, I guess maybe twelve hours or so?"

        "Twelve hours!" he boomed.

        "Yeah ... and maybe two or three more if you add in commuting." Christina added, "But I really just sleep on the train, so that hardly counts. And the Saturdays thing- that's just temporary. So when you think about it, It's really not as bad as-"

        Alek held up his hand and Christina stopped talking. "Tina, I do not approve of this at all. You are not to work this much, and I forbid you to ride the train alone in the middle of the night." His voice was firm as he handed down his edict.

        "But Uncle Alek-"

        One stern look from her uncle stopped Christina dead in her tracks. "I forbid it," he repeated, "And that is final. You are to look for some other job."

        Christina scrunched her brow in annoyance. Advice was one thing, she thought, but who was he to dictate the terms of her life? She was about to tell him that she could make her own decisions when Alek shot her another steely glance. Her shoulders dropped and she unwrinkled her face as she answered, "Yes sir." In a timid voice, Christina said, "I have to keep working some long hours until I find a new job, okay?"

        "Fair enough," Alek responded, "But you will be home no later than nine o'clock, and in bed by ten."

        "Ten?" Christina balked. Christina shrank again from her uncle's glare and conceded, "Ten o'clock."

        "And you will call home every Sunday."

        Failing to find the words to stand up to her uncle, Christina promised, "Yes sir. I will." She rationalized her defeat with the knowledge that she'd already been scanning the job boards for months. In a way, that was almost the same as not submitting to her uncle's demands. As for calling every Sunday, Christina had no objections.

        With the fire now blazing, Christina slid out from underneath the quilt. Desperate to change the subject, she pointed to the old clock on the wall and asked, "Uncle Alek, what happened to your clock?"

        "What do you mean?" Alek asked as he looked to the far wall.

        "The clock doesn't work anymore. It's all empty inside."

        Alek stood up and removed the clock from the peg on the wall, then placed it gently in Christina's lap. She ran her hand down the side of it, and opened the glass door. There were still a few gears and cogs in the old clock, but it was mostly empty.

        Returning to his seat, Alek explained, "This clock has been in our family for generations. When your aunt and I left for America, almost thirty years ago, my parents gave us heirlooms to take with us. My mother gave me a gift to give to Anastasia when she came of age, and my father gave to me, this clock. As the oldest son, it was my birthright. At the time, Misha was only a few months pregnant with Nastya, and we could barely afford our plane tickets. We had to leave many things behind, and some of our belongings, such as this clock, I could not afford to take with us. I had to send it by ship, with the rest of our things. It was months after we were settled that many of our possessions reached us."

        Christina leaned against her uncle as she was drawn into the story.

        "Even in these modern times, an ocean voyage can be a dangerous thing. The ship was rocked by a terrible storm the day before it reached these shores. Much of its cargo was lost to the sea, but this clock, and a few other items survived."

        "But it doesn't look that bad at all."

        "No, not now, but when it was returned to us, it was very broken. Here," he said, touching the side panel. "The wood was cracked and splintered. And the door," he explained as he tapped his finger on the glass. "This was broken to pieces." He picked up the clock and held it at an angle so Christina could look down its face. "See that on the big hand?"

        Christina nodded. She could make out a faint imperfection.

        "This was bent over."

        "I would never have guessed," Christina said in astonishment. "It looks as good as our old clock ever did."

        "I was able to fix it," He said proudly. His grin faded, and he admitted, "Not all of it though." He opened the door to expose the hollow inside. "This was beyond me. The internal workings were destroyed. The pieces were lost ... or bent ... I tried to rebuild it, but I did not have the gift that my great grandfather had."

        "Well at least you still have it," Christina consoled, "My father's clock was lost in the fire."

        "Yes," Alek said as he stood and took the clock from Christina's lap, "This endures, though it will never be the same again." Alek hung the clock back on the peg and arranged it just so.

        "It's too bad you couldn't make the insides work, but you did a wonderful job fixing the outside."

        "In my youth, I was quite the woodworker," Alek boasted.

        "Just like Andrei."

        Alek sat back down and smirked, "Who do you think taught him?"

        "You must be really proud of him," Christina said. "The things he makes are amazing."

        Alek frowned. "Andrei is a good boy, and he is a hard worker, but he needs to stop playing games in the barn. All day and night he works, and for what? Maybe he sells something every few months."

        "But-"

        "No," Alek barked, "Andrei needs to grow up. He needs to be a man."

        Christina didn't agree, but she nodded anyway. She could sense the tension that existed between her uncle and her cousin, and she didn't want to exacerbate things by taking sides.

        Misha walked into the living room wearing a long nightgown and a robe. She smiled at her husband and her niece and said, "You two are still awake?"

        Christina grinned and explained, "Uncle Alek was just telling me about the stuff you lost when you moved to the United States."

        "Oh," Misha said with a sly grin, "Did he tell you that he made me leave the silver tea set, that my mother gave to me, behind?"

        "Misha ..." Alek winced.

        "Four generations that was in my family!" she said, raising her hand.

        "But Misha ..." Alek said as he walked to his wife and took her hand.

        Misha was grinning now, "He takes me all the way across the ocean so my cousin can have my tea set?"

        "Thirty years, Misha!" Alek objected as he kissed his wife.

        Christina giggled, "If you did take it, it could have sank off the boat!"

        "Yes!" Alek grinned as he motioned towards Christina. "You see my niece, the genius?"

        Misha roared in mock anger, "Better at the bottom of the ocean with the crabs than with Marina!" She kissed her husband on the cheek and whispered, "Come to bed, Alek."

        "Yes, of course. I've already kept Tina up far past her bedtime."

        The word "bedtime" stabbed at Christina's ears.

        "You run along, Tina," her uncle commanded, "We will see you in the morning."

        Christina said goodnight to her aunt and uncle and went upstairs. After she'd washed her face and brushed her teeth, she returned to her room and studied herself in the mirror. She stripped off all oh her clothes and examined her naked body. Even with no clothes or makeup, Christina looked like a girl. The misunderstanding with her uncle scared the life out of her. Seeing herself naked reassured her that no one would mistake her for a boy. Still, the whole situation was tenuous at best. She had to keep up the illusion, and the best way she knew to do that was to think like a girl, and act like a girl.

        Hearing the door creak open, Christina spun around on her heels. Her arms instinctively shot up over her chest. "Boris!" she yelled at the large German shepherd. Christina dropped her hands and bent down next to the dog. She rubbed his belly and chided, "I gotta put a bell on you or something." She went to the door and closed it tightly. Turning around, she presented her naked form to the dog. "What do you think? Just like the real thing."

        Boris tilted his head.

        "Well," Christina conceded, "Almost like the real thing."

        Ignoring the dog, Christina rummaged through her drawers and took out a green tank top and a pair of orange g-string panties. She pulled the tank top over her head and slid the lacy panties up over her hips, then went to the mirror and admired herself. From the nipples poking though her top, to the delicate mound resting in her panties, there was no way anyone would mistake her for a boy. Christina turned her backside to the mirror and surveyed her butt. It was flat and tight. Though not overtly boyish, it was not as full or rounded as she would have liked. Still, even Nina shared her waifish figure, so it wasn't as though she was the only girl in the family with a tight bottom.

        A twinge of shame shot through Christina as she realized that she'd just taken "thinking like a girl" one step too far. Christina Chase, she reminded herself, only exists in Oak Grove. It was okay to be a girl here, perhaps even to enjoy being a girl, but she needed to maintain some limits.

        Refusing to dwell on the situation any further, Christina went back to her door and opened it. "Okay you," she said to Boris, "Out!"

        The large dog laid down on his belly and dropped his head between his paws.

        "Go see Andrei! Go on!"

        Boris raised an eyebrow and very little else.

        "Fine," Christina acquiesced, "The floor is yours."

        Christina took off her necklace and placed it on her nightstand before getting into bed. Before she even had the covers pulled all the way up, Boris jumped up onto the bed.

        "Excuse me?" Christina asked in surprise.

        Boris ignored the girl and lay down next to her. Draping her arm over the dog, Christina snuggled up next to him. Rubbing his belly, she said, "You can stay, but you'd better keep all my secrets."

        Christina reflected on her night with Alek as she cuddled Boris. As much as she resented being ordered around by her uncle, a part of her hoped that he would walk though her door and tuck her in again. It was a silly, childish desire, but she felt it none the less. She had to make do with reliving last night in her memories as she fell into slumber.


Edited into coherence by Holly H. Hart.
Thanks to Sephrena Miller for taking an early read.
Hope you enjoyed it. If you liked it or hated it, please leave a tasty comment.
Krunch Away!

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Reality

When is Christina finally going to realize that she isn’t an actress playing a role. She is truly allowing herself to blossom under her families love. She crossed an imaginary line thinking of herself in comparison to Nina. She crossed another line in the last installment by “allowing“ herself to sleep in her nightgown at her workplace apartment (Sorry, can’t call that a home).
Slowly, one foot in front of the other, soon it is a journey.
AK, another great story, thanks!

Is life really a dream or is the dream reality?

Is life really a dream or is the dream reality?

Being Christina Chase

Don't worry Chris, I mean how many guys don't have to wonder if they will be mistaken for a boy? Don't all guys love to wear thong panties?? Come on it's not going to hurt to enjoy being a girl as long as it is just for your family, Right?

I mean just because I envy you shouldn't bother you, who would care if a transsexual envies them, Right?

Nothing in Life is Free, if the cost is not monitary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Christina Chase

How long does it take to make a pearl?

This story is so addictive but it's like water torture. We know where she's going and we can see that the universe wants her there but the journey is leisurely, measured and slow-burning, just like life in Oak Grove. I just love the contrasts between city and rural life.

This tale is right there at the top of my 'must read' list.

Hugs,

Susie

Dear Admiral

Krunch, I've read many transformation stories. Some happen by mysterious artifacts or mad/gifted scientist/magicians and may be instant or very slow. Your story of "Being Christina Chase" is a story transformation not of the body although she is shaping it herself but of the heart and soul. The slow blossoming of Christina seems to follow the seasons. The Spring and Summer of Oak Grove where she is love and cherished. The Fall and Winter of the city where her true self hibernates and yearns for warmth of the family that loves and accepts her. Yes, even Boris!
Thank you!
grover

She is blossoming ... yes

However it is no bed of roses :). She will have to
go through again the negotiation process with a
parent as to defining her limits. Her uncle is
being a bit overprotective and is a bit overbearing.

He is a very caring person but it seems the way she is
pushing Christina is what probably ultimately caused
his first daughter to rebel in the first place. He
has to be made to see that. His world view is a bit
narrow as a result of being in Dogpatch.

Yes, Oak Grove is not quite a Dogpatch but is a bit
too Old World though. There will ultimately need to
be a compromise in the end. It will benefit both
Christina and her family. Alek will finally REALLY
understand his role in Nastya's death and finally be
able to put that ghost to rest when Christina forgives
him for his shortcoming.

Christina will have finally learned to grow up and
learn to negotiate to get her needs met. Her lack of
skill in this area led to her mother not understanding
her and allowed her stepfather to bully her. She
cannot allow Alek to do it to her, the resentment will
poison her new relationship with her family.

Kim

Thank You Again

For such a wonderful series. Big Closet currently has so many
great serials going simultaneously. And your series is
one of the best.

Kim

Nice Work

Wonder work please keep it coming

Christina Chase

There was a story posted here not too awful long ago by an author that used "Christina Chase" as her pseudonym. She had the fact that it was the same as the character in Admiral Krunch's story pointed out to her and mentioned she could change it. There is now no stories under that author name and I was wondering if anyone knew if it had just been author-switched or removed?

Anja Kobayashi

lotto ticket

did chris ever scratch that ticket given him in ch 1?
you never know.