Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 34

Printer-friendly version

The continuing saga of the perils of transitioning, boys and drink.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 34.

I went out into the street with Big Mac and the others, some of whom were fooling around or joking, there was a sort of party atmosphere which was unusual for a thursday night.

Mac kept wanting to put his arm around me, and I was unhappy with this, he had no rights of ownership to me, I was one of the group not his girlfriend. It didn't stop him however, even though at one point I actually said, "Please don't."

I know boys try it on and attempt to push boundaries from infancy onwards, whereas girls are less encouraged to do so. Despite being raised as a boy, I wasn't as adventurous as I might have been perhaps because much of my life had been busy with reinforcing my boundaries. I wasn't pushy with others, but neither did I let them push me around. So I got lots of hidings, but kept my inner self secure and my integrity intact.

Mac tried to put his arm around my waist and I spun away from him, "Please," I said, indicating I didn't want arms all over me.

"C'mon girl, lighten up a little," the others weren't exactly egging him on, but he presumably felt a need to put on a show in front of his peers.

I had very different criteria for my behaviour, survival being uppermost. "I think I've changed my mind," I said.

"What about?" asked Mac completely perplexed.

"I want to go back," I said.

"But we haven't got there yet, c'mon it'll be fun."

"No, I've changed my mind, I'm going back." I turned to walk back to my room and he grabbed my hand. I froze and began to shake, all sorts of things ran through my mind, none of them pleasant.

"Hey c'mon girl," he said holding my hand.

I turned back towards him and glared at him, "Let go of me this instant, do you hear me?" I could feel my anger rising, driving away the fear, my voice was also rising and attracting the attention not only of his friends but of other passers-by.

There was a hiatus of embarrassed silence and with a look of contempt he let go of my hand as if it were contaminated, "Bloody well go back then, see if I care. You're as stuck up as that dickless brother of yours."

"At least he thinks with his brain not his testicles," I retorted and walked quickly away from the group. The silence continued for a few more seconds before a nervous sort of laughter took over.

I was still trembling and now felt cold, although it wasn't a particularly cool evening. I wanted a hot drink and perhaps something a bit stronger. Near our house is a local corner shop which seems to be open all sorts of hours, okay it can't compete with the big supermarkets and their 'open 24' policies, but it does do well on a sunday when they have to close at four pm and it somehow doesn't.

I popped in the shop and bought a small bottle of Bacardi and one of cola. The young Asian man, looked hard at me, "You seem familiar," he said.

"I have a brother who was a student here until recently," I lied, it was disturbing how easily I could do it.

"Ah that must be it," he said without sounding entirely convinced.

"He fell off his bike recently and had to go home." I continued the fabrication, trying to keep it to half truths, "we're twins," I added superfluously, as liars often do.

"Ah yes, the bike rider. Do you ride as well?"

"The whole family does," I said casually as if every family should. It wasn't true either, in fact I don't think my mother ever sat on a bicycle in her life.

"So how come you are here now and he isn't?" asked the sparkling eyed young man.

My stomach did its now customary series of somersaults, back flips and piked dives before my heart, which had vaulted into my throat, fell into the void below.

"He was doing some research and they need it finished, it so happens I'm interested in a similar field," my brain was saying, 'shut up before you hang yourself,' but my ears weren't turned on.

"That's a useful coincidence," said the shop-keeper.

"It is for me, I get to earn some money," I said smiling. This was total fiction, I earned nothing at all, the university did if the government used my research.

"So is he badly injured?" asked the man.

"His bike ride cost him an arm and a leg," I smiled back, "two fractures," I indicated the right side of my body. "Got knocked off by a car."

The man nodded, "You cyclists are very vulnerable to cars, but it is good exercise."

"It is, I must go," I said, "I have some more notes to read and put in order."

"I hope your brother is soon better."

"Thank you, I'm sure he'll be back again before too long." As I left there, I realised that I had now given away information which could be used against me and my lies could also complicate matters.

If I turned up in that shop in my previous incarnation without plaster of Paris casts on my right arm and leg, the man would know I was lying. I wondered if he had seen through me anyway, I could, my cover was as flimsy as rice paper and less palatable. If he could, what about the others in my department? They'd smell a rat faster than a terrier. Why did I allow this to happen?

Feeling totally depressed, I trudged back to my room and I hoped safety. Once there I shut the door and chained it. I also decided to reinforce it with pole I'd made soon after I moved in. Basically, this was a piece of scaffolding with a block of wood on either end and some carpet tacked on to that. It wedged between the free edge of the door and the wall opposite it. A moment to use, they'd need heavy duty axes and time, or explosive to enter. It was one of my better ideas and gave me a sense of security when I was cross dressing, especially in my experimental days. Now of course I was an expert, having spent a whole day and a bit as a woman! I chuckled at my own arrogance and sat in my comfy chair with a glass and the drinks.

A few gulps and the glass was empty. A repetition and things were feeling warm and fuzzy. I looked at my chart again, I even added the little corner shop as a reason for staying as Cathy, but it was still woefully short compared to the list of negatives.

I was still wondering about it when my mobile rang. It was unexpected and made me jump. I fished it out of my bag and saw it was Dr Thomas.

"Hello," I said

"Hi Cathy, how are you doing?"

"I'm okay thanks," I said, thinking, why is she calling me?

"Sorry, you seemed upset when you left and I had to dash off to this meeting, so I didn't have time to complete things as I'd have liked."

"It's okay," I said.

"Have you been drinking?"

My blood ran cold, how could she know? "Just a little, why?"

"I hope you're not drowning your sorrows."

"No, why should I?"

"You were upset earlier, did I challenge you too much?"

"Dr Thomas, you are the most wunnerful person I know, (hic)."

"Are you sure you're all right?"

"Course I am, besides, I don't make deshisions about my life do I, it's all done for me?"

"Can you come and see me tomorrow?"

"I dunno doctor, if somebody tells me to, I could I shuppose."

"I want you at my rooms at eight, tomorrow morning, can you do that?"

"Oooh, I dunno doc, it's a bit early for a vegetable." The gas from the cola rumbled noisily up my gut emerging as a burp. "Oops! Shorry 'bout that."

"Cathy, please be there."

"If you shay sho. I always do what other people tell me to."

"Thanks, take care now girl."

"I'll try t...whoops, I dropped my glass, ha ha it ran all over my notes, aw what a pity, ha ha."

"Bye doc, ha ha."

I finished the bottle of rum and the cola and fell onto the bed still clad in the skirt and top, and my shoes on my feet. I awoke with some bangings on my door, but chose to ignore them. They eventually stopped having woken me up completely. I glanced at my watch, it was two in the morning. The bastards!

I sat up and the room began to spin - not a good sign, staggering to the toilet I just made it before the first wave of sickness assailed me. Sadly I hadn't got the lid up so it went all over the place.

By the second 'huey' it was up and I aimed the contents of my stomach a bit better. I stared with watery eyes into the maelstrom which had been in my gut moments earlier. The butterflies must have sunk, 'cos I couldn't see any in the mixture of lumps of diced carrot and tomato that always float on the top.

I knew better than to drink, I had a metabolism which tolerated only zero amounts of booze, how I'd survived the night before with Simon was nothing short of miraculous although it was with a dinner, and I was drinking slowly.

I stood up and noticed I had puke all down the front of the skirt and began to cry. It just about summed up my life.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The fear of life, drowned by a bottle of rum...

Poor girl. She got almost everything served on a silver plater ( ok, not the boys, she is not yet ready for ) but she got scared as her life is feeling like falling apart and she lost control over it.

Booze to get seems easy and one might feel better for a short time... but afterwards life seems even worse then before and Cathy now has to realise it.

I wonder who's knocking at her door?

Well Angharad, that one is another very good chapter of someones story of her life.
As always I can't wait to get the next one part to read.

*huggles*

Saphira
--
>> There is not one truth only out there. <<

--
>> There is not one single truth out there. <<

You bet Saphira!

..She has everything going for her and now she is trying to toss it all away. It's so senseless, yet it's very real. I still undergo that. I watch other tg's undergo that. Its a recurrent theme amongst us and I, myself, do not understand it. Auntie, whether you realize it or not, you have touched a common thread amongst us - My congrats you are one of a few that have touched this subject. My guess on the matter, which is not necessarily right at all, is that the dissatisfaction with one's self as a tg is so great, that either disbelief that they can actually lead a normal life now is so overwhelming they cannot accept it (meaning they lived in hiding so long that reality, if changed for the better, cannot happen to them) or else the dissatisfaction is so deep that anything less than a perfect body of the sex they need to be is not good enough for them and the desire to die runs rampant.

Any thoughts?

Sephrena Lynn Miller

to booze or...

kristina l s's picture

... well simple fact, after a while on hormones the tolerance decreases. I do drink a bit and on rare occassions to excess. Can't drink anything like I used to and nor do I want to. Haven't thrown up for a long time either thankfully, a hangover is bad enough, again rare. It is pretty simple to reach for the wine or spirits to soften the fears and pains, but the benefit is quickly counter balanced by the down effects of depression and if not self loathing a good dose of self mockery. Then it's a question of basic strength. I believe Cathy will be ok, just one of those things so to speak. But a move to new digs might be in order. She'll be right but it may not be all roses.

Kristina

Can't Understand it Either

Yeh,

Being Asian and having next to no tolerance for alcohol
genetically ( Dad can get a buzz nursing on one drink over the
course of 2 hours ! ) I will never understand the desire for
alcohol - didn't even drink when both my parents died, hard
as that was.

Cathy is truly wimpy, I get the impression she should never
have started hormones in the first place as she did not have a
real plan for herself. And her head is not in the right place.
Her therapist in my opinion has let her down in that regard.

One thing ya gotta learn in life is you gotta plan for
success - the contingency that all will fall into place, and failure
where everything will go pear-shaped.

Funny that she does not seem to be trying to draw much
strength from personal faith. I assumed most of England is COE and
there is no mention of her being an atheist.

Finally I remember one episode from my teens when a car door
opened in front of me while biking and I clipped the outer edge
of it and went flying. I remember thinking during the few moments
I was airborne that there was nothing to do but just let it be
so when I hit the ground my body was relaxed and parallel to the ground
distributing the impact evenly and I suffered absolutely no injury -
Easy as falling off a bike indeed.

Kim

Cultural note

Rachel Greenham's picture

Funny that she does not seem to be trying to draw much
strength from personal faith. I assumed most of England is COE and
there is no mention of her being an atheist.

The majority of England that is on record (in the census) as being COE are pretty much there by default and force of habit. Most people here are either not very or not at all religious. While they may be registered as belonging to a church they don't practice in any meaningful sense, and if they say they believe it's usually in a sloppy, habitual way because they've never really stopped to think about it.

There are exceptions of course; there are deeply religious people here. But in an English/British context you would not normally think it worth mentioning that someone is an atheist or at least a person for whom religion plays an insignificant part in their life (except when someone else's religion interferes with it). In a story set here you'd be more likely to make it clear that someone *is* deeply religious, as that's the departure from the social norm.

Cathy

Well done, could have been a disaster, but nicely avoided.