Perspectives: 36

Printer-friendly version

Josie

Denise at Llangollen
Perspectives:
a novel with eight voices

by Louise Anne Smithson

Denise — daughter of Alice (Tuesday 9th August 2011)

Things have been pretty dull here since we arrived last week, we don’t see a lot of Dad, and Mum is worried all the time that I might damage myself if I do anything remotely energetic. But I now feel much recovered from the operation, and the small scar is beginning to heal. I’ve been missing my friends, and wished that Karen, at least could come to stay. From what I hear the three of them have been having an interesting time teaching young Josie how to be a lady and I would have liked the opportunity to contribute to the project.

Last Sunday, Dad and I drove over to see his mother in Shrewsbury. To be honest, I would rather have gone shopping with Mum in Chester, but I guess I’m bound to make the effort as we are in the area, and she always gives me a twenty pound note as we are leaving. When we got back to Llangollen, Mum asked to have a word with me in my bedroom. Dad used this as an excuse to retreat into his study to catch up with his emails.

‘Denise, I’ve been talking to the mother of Josie (or should I say Joe) and Jennifer. I think you had better tell me the whole story and also how you came to be involved.’

’Oh dear, bang goes the prospect of me having any friends to stay,’ I thought.

‘The plan to substitute Josie in my place was nothing to do with me, as I was in hospital at the time. However, it clearly worked well since Josie won first prize in the competition.’

‘But you never told me when you asked me to loan your dress.’

‘I know but at that stage they were still not sure whether the plan would go ahead or not.’

You must have known when they came to our house after you’d had your operation.’

‘I know, but I thought it was a one-off and so didn’t bother mentioning it to you. It was only afterwards, when she came to visit a second time and I saw how much she was enjoying herself that I really became involved. I wanted to help her come to terms with her transgenderism before she starts puberty.’

‘What other people decide to do with their lives is not your business.’

‘But I didn’t want her to leave it too late before making a decision about her future. You know how difficult it has been for Helen, and how much she now wishes that she had started her transition earlier.’

(Helen was my cousin, formerly named Richard.) Mum didn’t respond to that point as she knew that I was probably right. Instead or pursuing that avenue I attempted to change the focus of our conversation.

‘It was you who suggested that she should come and stay.’

‘But you didn’t tell me that ‘she’ was really a ‘he’. Surely you didn’t think you would be able to pass Josie off as a girl for ten days staying here without us suspecting something.’

‘Well neither you nor Dad appeared to have noticed anything unusual about her last week, and you even had her helping you in the kitchen for half an hour.’

Mum had to admit that I had a point there, but I didn’t want to rub it in whilst there was still a chance that she might come round.

‘Sorry Mum, but I was only trying to help her.’

‘I met Josie’s mother in Chester this afternoon, and she feels that Josie might be better away from Crawley for a while. I probably should have cancelled the invitation, but I didn’t and it now looks as if Josie and Karen will be coming to stay for a fortnight. They’ll be arriving on Tuesday.’

‘Really! That’s brilliant news, Mum,’ I said, scarcely able to believe what I was hearing.’

‘But you must promise me to be careful, and it doesn’t mean that you can start running around until you are fully fit once again.’

‘Yes, of course, Mum. I promise to take things easily’

‘I won’t be saying anything about Josie to your father as he has enough to worry about as it is, so you’d all three better watch what you say and do when he’s around.’

‘Yes, of course,’ I answered gravely.

‘Maybe you could also loan her a few more things of yours to wear as well whilst she’s here.’

‘Does that mean we can also go shopping in Chester?’

‘Maybe we can go, in a few days’ time, as long as your dad is free to take us there and collect us afterwards.’

No sooner had she left than I was on the phone to Karen who confirmed the arrangements and that they would be arriving for lunch in two days’ time.

It was quite exciting to see my friends again this morning, even if only two of them were going to stay. As soon as they’d arrived I invited the girls up to my bedroom where they were able to bring me up to date with everything that had gone on over the last week. Josie, in particular, seems to be looking better and gaining in confidence every time I see her. I understand that she has even been out on a foursome with Sue and a couple of guys they met at Southport. After half an hour we were called down to lunch where everyone had to be a little more careful with what they said. Dad did at least make the effort to talk to Karen and Josie, and they responded quite well.

The other three left us after lunch to continue their journey south, but before doing so Josie’s mum had a final word with Karen and Josie. As soon as we’d waved them goodbye, Mum asked the visitors and I to come upstairs to help sort out the spare room, but it also appeared that she wanted to have a few words with us without Dad being present.

‘OK girls, you are very welcome, and I hope you will have a good time in Llangollen, but remember that I am responsible for your welfare and so I’m relying on you all to behave sensibly,’ said Mum to the newcomers.

Karen and Josie both murmured their agreement.

‘And that goes for you as well, Denise,’ she added as an afterthought as she’d noticed me rolling my eyes in the background, as she spoke.

‘As for you, young lady,’ she said, addressing Josie, ‘I understand from your mother that you wish to be treated as a girl for the duration of your stay here.’

‘Yes please, Mrs Crawford,’ she replied, blushing a little.

‘Very well, that is alright by me, but I don’t intend to mention your situation to Denise’s father. From your looks and behaviour, I don’t think there should be much danger of your being found out so long as you are all sensible. However, you should realise that it would put me in a difficult position if you were to change your mind.’

‘Don’t worry, Mrs Crawford, I have no intention of changing my mind whilst I’m here. In any event none of the clothes that I have brought with me would be suitable for a boy to wear,’ said Josie.

‘Good, in that case it can be our little secret between the four of us.’

Once we had sorted out the sleeping arrangements I took Karen and Josie for a look around the sights of Llangollen, which occupied us for all of three quarters of an hour. Eventually we stood on the bridge between the two sides of the town looking at the rapids, and also a steam train that was about to leave the station.

‘So what do you think of the place?’ I asked.

‘It is a nice looking town,’ said Karen. ‘What is the local talent like?’

‘I’m afraid there isn’t much, but we get a fair number of visitors this time of the year, and there is a Youth Hostel a couple of miles up the road, so the place is not without its masculine attractions.’

‘I don’t think that your Mum would be happy if we started hanging out with boys,’ said Josie.

‘Mum doesn’t have to know everything, even in a small town like this,’ I said.

Next time: Jenny speaks her mind
up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Perspectives: 36

Another great chapter

Richard

Be Careful there, Josie!

hanging out with boys can get you in trouble, if things go too far.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

title

shouldn't the title of this one read "Voice 36: Denise – daughter of Alice"

so is Josie going to like girls or boys or is she still on the fence?
thanks for another great chapter.

Yes you are right! Mea Culpa!

Yes you are right! Mea Culpa! Thanks to everyone who has pointed out my mistake. You'll have to wait and see which side of the fence she comes down on though. Louise

Llangollen Again

joannebarbarella's picture

It doesn't sound as if it has changed much, if at all. I remember it as being pretty small and quaint.

Denise's Mum, Alice, reacted very well in the circumstances.