Perspectives: 45

Printer-friendly version

Josie

A surprise for Josie
Perspectives:
a novel with eight voices

by Louise Anne Smithson

Jean — mother of Karen and Sue (Saturday 20th August 2011)

It has been a busy summer in the salon so far and I’ve hardly had any time away apart from that one weekend in July for the girls’ convention. Thus, when Sue mentioned to me the plan to travel up to Llangollen for the weekend to give Josie a surprise birthday party, I made an effort to ensure that I would have enough staff available to cover for me. After all, it is nearly a fortnight since I’ve seen Karen, although of course we do keep in regular touch by phone. (I must admit that I was also quite looking forwards to seeing the next episode in the emerging soap opera involving Carol and her two children as well.) From the photographs put up on Facebook by both Karen and Josie, the girls appear to have been having a good time in North Wales and the local scenery does seem quite spectacular.

Carol and Jenny collected Sue and myself at 8.30 this morning and we were soon travelling on the M23 motorway heading for the London Orbital motorway, and then towards Birmingham and the north-west. Jenny and Sue were in the seats behind Carol and myself holding a desultory conversation, but Jenny appeared to be a lot more subdued than usual. I’d also noticed that she and Sue had not been spending as much time together as usual over the last week; no doubt due to Sue having a new boyfriend. I was therefore quite pleased that the pair of them would be spending the weekend away with one another.

Throughout the journey Sue was in regular contact with her sister via text messaging with each one was providing the other with a running commentary as to progress and what was happening.

‘Denise’s mother suggests that we should contact her as soon as we’ve arrive at the B&B. She will then come round and explain to us the arrangements for this evening. Apparently we’ll be staying round the corner from their holiday home.’

We had one stop for a toilet break and a cup of coffee at the Corley service area and arrived at our destination just before one o’clock — thanks largely to the help of the built-in SatNav in Carol’s new car. As soon as we had unloaded our cases and checked in to our bedrooms we contacted Alice, who joined us a few minutes afterwards. Then we all went out for a light lunch at a nearby café.

‘Karen, Denise and Josie will be busy doing the cooking for our meal tonight, although of course Josie still has no idea that she will also be eating it, or that you will be coming,’ she announced. ‘It will therefore be quite safe for you to have a look around town this afternoon, if you like. However, you will need to all be changed and ready by six thirty tonight if our plan is going to work without a hitch.’

‘What about a birthday cake for Josie?’ asked Carol.

‘I’ve already organised one with her name from the Cottage Bakery in Castle Street. It will be ready for collection any time this afternoon. Perhaps you could collect it for me and bring it with you when you come tonight.’

‘So what exactly are the arrangements for tonight?’ I asked

‘As soon as the girls have left the house to go for their pizza, I will contact you to come round to the house straight away. Once you have arrived, I will call Denise and point out that she has forgotten to take her purse with her to pay for the meal and suggest that they should come back to the house collect it. That’s when you can surprise Josie.’

All went to plan during the afternoon. We looked around the town and collected the cake, as requested. At four thirty we returned to our rooms to have a shower and get ourselves ready for the party. Jenny and Sue were sharing one twin room, and Carol and I another. The girls helped one another to get ready and they can both look lovely when they make the effort, as they did on this occasion. Thus, by the appointed time we were all four wearing our best dresses, and waiting for Alice’s phone call. It came five minutes later announcing that the coast was clear and that we should make our way to the house. Fortunately it was only a hundred yards or so away, just around the corner, as otherwise it would have been difficult to walk in our long dresses and high heels. Alice, dressed in her own finery, showed us in to the dining room and made the call to Denise. Ten minutes later we that we heard the front door open and the three girls return to the house. We’d each found a suitable hiding place: mine was just behind the dining room door, which had been left half open.

‘Denise, your purse is in the dining room on the sideboard,’ I heard Alice, say. ‘But please be quick before my guests arrive.’

‘Josie would you mind going in and collecting it for me, I just need to go for a pee,’ said Denise.

As soon as Josie entered the room, followed by Karen, Alice and then Denise herself we emerged from our respective hiding places, behind the door, the curtains and the sofa.

‘Surprise! Happy Birthday Josie!’

Josie looked both shocked but also very happy, having been completely taken in by our ruse. After various hugs and kisses and expressions of surprise and good wishes all round, Alice spoke to the assembled group.

‘Ladies, the meal should be ready to serve in just over half an hour from now so you three had better hurry up and get changed into something a little more formal,’ she said, addressing the new arrivals. ‘Josie, you will find that long dress that you liked is now hanging in your bedroom. Karen, I have laid out something nice for you to wear on my bed, and you are welcome to use my dressing table as well. Denise, you already know what you are going to wear tonight.’

‘I’ll help you to get ready if you like, Karen,’ said Sue.

‘Alright, thanks, sis.’

Jenny, who I noticed had been very much on the periphery during all the greetings and congratulations, now turned to her sister.

‘Would you like me to help you to get ready, Josie?’ she asked, tentatively.

Josie hesitated before answering.

‘Please!’ added Jenny in a quiet voice.

‘Alright then! I’ll show you where to go,’ she replied.

With that all of the girls disappeared upstairs to the various bedrooms and so that the three adults were able to enjoy a glass of sherry and have a chat together whilst we waited for them to get ready.

Forty minutes later, five very glamorous looking young ladies wearing long dresses joined the rest of us, and everyone helped to serve up and clear away the meal — everyone apart from the guest of honour — the birthday girl. At our insistence she sat at the head of the table and looked quite stunning in her new dress. Then, at the end of the meal, Alice brought in the birthday cake together with fifteen candles. It was one of those where the icing incorporated a photograph of her, which had been taken when she won the first prize at the costume convention, together with the words ‘Happy Birthday Josie’. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone look quite so happy as she did at that moment.

Next time: Josie’s perspective
up
178 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So Far, So Good...

...for the party, contrary to my expectations.

Looking forward to Josie's take.

Eric

No doubt about it, when she

heard "Happy Birthday Josie!", it made her whole year.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Rapprochement?

joannebarbarella's picture

Possibly Jenny has had time to reflect and repent on her bitchiness. We may find out in the next chapter.