Pixie's Honor : Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version
Pixie's Honor

by:
Elsbeth


Matthew learns even the littlest of fairies value honor above all

greenpixie.png

Chapter 8

While holding Matt’s hand, Poppy could tell, that her old body had very little time left. And for reasons unknown, her healing magic couldn’t touch him. The Fae magic just seemed to fade away. Upon entering the room, she had a difficult choice; to heal her old body or not, now that choice had been firmly taken away from her. Perhaps it was for the best.

When Elaine passed away, there had been little left to live for. Through their entire marriage, her joy was his, and when she died Matt had nothing. Going through the motions most of last year, even the move to Skogshaven; seemed nothing more than Matt moving one step closer towards his own welcomed oblivion.

Strange that the deep sadness didn’t follow her into the Fae, instead it brought a new understanding. Even the whole change of gender thing, which seemed rather odd, had become comfortable. Being in Matt’s body, Poppy knew that such a transformation would have been unwelcome. As a Pixie, it just seemed so normal. Of course having people around her like Laurel, Syringa, Morgan, Xera, supporting her, loving her, made it much easier.

Poppy loved Elaine and would until the ends of days but she would have wanted Matt to move on, to grab this new life with both hands and live it to the fullest. Poppy decided that would be a monument to their love.

Still lost in her old memories, the young Pixie jumped when warm comforting arms surrounded her. Slowly opening her eyes, Poppy found the Keeper holding her close.

“Xera.” She said softly, leaning back into the embrace. Poppy now felt safe, protected and over all loved.

“You didn’t think we would allow you to be alone for long at a time like this?” Poppy looked around, dozens of her sisters now sat around the room, all of them with eyes full of concern. Except for Xera, Pixies had no real concept for growing old and dying but every one of them could feel her pain.

Rubbing the tears away, Poppy smiled giving her friends a small girly wave. “Thanks.”

“Xera said we had to give you a moment alone.” Laurel said in a huff, landing on Poppy’s shoulder to give her friend a fierce hug.

“So this is Matt.” Syringa stood on her other shoulder, looking down. Turning her head, she glanced at Poppy then back again. “Strange even for the Fae.”

Before Poppy could say anything, someone knocked on the door before slowly opening it. “Doctor Sully, Oh excuse me; I didn’t realize someone else had come into the room.”

Poppy turned around to find Doctor Abasi entering, along with another doctor she had not met before.

“You must be Doctor Dumas.” Poppy stood up, stepping forward to shake his hand.

Even with the rumors of a young Doctor with green hair in town, Alexander Dumas hadn’t expected her to be such a beautiful woman. Standing there with his mouth wide open, the doctor flushed with embarrassment, realizing he had been staring the whole time. “Sorry…err, hello. Please call me Alex.”

“Hello Alex, my name is Xera.” The Keeper said with an amused tone noticing the doctor’s reaction to her as well.

Poppy tried to keep herself from giggling. Although most Pixies looked like young teenage girls, Xera now dressed in black slacks and a white silk blouse, gave the appearance of a successful and very attractive adult woman.

“Are you two related….”

“Yes.”

“I see.” Doctor Dumas, although enamored with both women, wanted to make sure that he understood exactly what was going on. Originally, his patient information and police reports noted no family, only a friend who worked in the hospital.

The doctor felt that he would be doing a disservice to the man in the bed, if he simply took these two women at face value. It should have been easy enough to check, all of it seemed rather odd. Also other than some rumors, was the young woman in front of him really even a Doctor? She didn’t even look like she was old enough to have attended medical school.

“I’m sorry, I know you spoke with Doctor St. Hill, but how are both of you related to my patient.” Alex looking down while flipping through the chart, then frowned. “I don’t see any information here. Poppy, you are aware that we really cannot allow you to have access…”

“Alex, I don’t believe that will be an issue, will it?” Xera smiled warmly. “Please be sure to note in your records, that we have been verified as relatives and have permission to make all decisions for the mortal lying in the bed behind us.”

The two doctors stared dumbly at the Keeper for a moment, and then simply nodded. Suddenly, as if nothing had been said, Doctor Dumas gave a warm smile motioning everyone out of the room. “Please follow me; we can go over the results of some of the more recent tests.”

Leading the group down the hall, the two doctors brought Poppy and Xera into a small conference room. Inside they found another doctor, an older but still very handsome African American man who greeted both Pixies with a nervous smile.

“Hello, I’m Doctor St. Hill.”

Poppy liked the sound of his island accent, reminding her of the time she spent on Martinique with Elaine. With introductions out of the way, the three hospital doctors began to go over in detail what exactly happened to Matt.

“Here are the most recent test results for your father.”

Poppy hesitated for a second, father? How in the world did that happen? Reaching for the chart, she began to page through the numerous documents. Noting a few things, Poppy turned to ask Doctor St. Hill about trauma procedures in the hospital. Soon it developed into a very technical conversation, as Poppy went through all of the test results.

Alexander Dumas, stunned at the young woman’s knowledge, looked over her appreciably once more. “From what I hear, you went to John Hopkins.”

Lost in thought, Poppy nodded absently as she continued to study the documents in front of her. She might have done a few things differently, but she found no fault with the doctors. Her healing senses told her the truth, and the doctors in the room verified it. Matt’s prognosis was not good.

While Doctor Sully spoke, Alex quickly took notes, amazed at her knowledge. “It’s a shame that you couldn’t come and work for us, Poppy. We sure could use another trauma specialist.”

Xera smiled. “Unfortunately that won’t be possible; she has quite a number of other obligations.”

“True.” Poppy nodded, as Matt, she had planned on spending the rest of her career working at the hospital. Now, although tempting, the green haired Pixie found herself instead enjoying the time spent with her ‘sisters’ and travelling with Princess Morgan, who she now considered a close friend.

“As it seems you’re already offering aid to those in town, which we all appreciate, perhaps as a consultant?” Doctor St. Hill asked hopefully.

Poppy gave a half sad smile, closing the folder that contained all of Matt’s records. “Perhaps we can speak of this later.”

Doctor St. Hill agreed, still a little confused, even after speaking with Princess Morgan at one of the Were Council meetings. Could the man lying in the hospital bed in the other room actually be the young
woman who sat in front of him? Didn’t matter, she was correct. Until the fate of Doctor Matt Dobson had been determined, he wouldn’t press the issue.

++++++++++

Poppy tried to sit as still as a hamadryad proceeded to braid her hair. After turning into a Pixie, one wouldn’t have expected meeting a dryad to be too surprising.

“So you like mushrooms, right?” Sapphira leaned over.

“On what?”

“Pizza of course.” The hamadryad rolled her eyes, then went back to braid Poppy’s hair.

“Oh sure mushrooms are good, perhaps some olives, some nice Italian sausage and extra cheese of course.”

“Olives are fine but obviously they don’t belong on a pizza.”

Poppy laughed. “I guess so; does this mean we are having pizza for lunch?”

“Mushroom with double cheese, if they know what’s good for them.” The four hundred year old hamadryad giggled. “Now stand up and turn around.”

Sapphira frowned. “Are you going to be wearing that?”

Poppy looked down. She wore a pair of hip hugging jeans and a black lace blouse that matched well with her hair. “What’s wrong with my clothes?”

“Your meeting a Queen, something a little dressier would be appropriate.”

Poppy frowned; she had never been introduced to a mortal Queen before much less a Fae Warrior Queen. “What do you suggest?”

Moments later, Princess Morgan, Lord Alexander Hastings, and an Aos Sidhe she met the other day, called Caitrin, walked across the commons bearing a handful of pizza boxes.

“Sorry we’re late.” Morgan looked over at her friend then smiled. “You look nice.”

“What’s up with the outfit Poppy?” Standing there in faded jeans, a WWII bomber jacket and a Boston University sweatshirt, the Aos Sidhe lord set down the pizzas without ceremony. Noticing that Morgan’s friend did look nice; he opened the first pizza box and started chewing on a slice.

“Be quiet you, she just wants to make a good impression.” Sapphire took Poppy over to the side. “Ignore him.”

Although the green haired Pixie had a sneaking suspicion the hamadryad was having a little too much fun, Poppy liked the look of the black kirtle with the white chemise. Not something to be worn outside of a Renaissance festival, the outfit seemed appropriate when meeting a Fae Queen. “The front, though, is a little tight; maybe I’ll let it out some.”

“No don’t do that, it looks good.” Sapphira smiled. ‘It enhances your assets as it were.”

“Great, just what I want to do. Flaunt my assets in front of a Queen.” Poppy said sarcastically.

“You look lovely, Poppy.” Morgan giggled. Moments later all three turned around as a fifth person arrived from the Fae Woods in front of the Skogshaven Library.

“Mom!” Morgan yelled excitedly, as she ran across the commons to embrace the tall woman.

Poppy sat uncomfortably while nibbling on a piece of pizza, not really tasting it. Meeting Morgan’s mother had been a little nerve wracking to begin with. Now, to suddenly have these unexpected feelings for this beautiful woman, she seemed to have trouble dealing with.

Ignoring the fact that Queen Mab happened to be a Queen and her friend’s mom, the Pixie healer couldn't quite grasp, intellectually at least, the idea of having romantic feelings for another woman. Poppy was a girl right, wasn't she supposed to like men? Then again, Matt most definitely wasn't attracted to guys. But she wasn't Matt anymore, and Lord Alexander did look rather scrumptious. Wait, she didn't really think that, the green haired Pixie closed her eyes in confusion.

Matt had been open minded for the most part, usually never giving it much thought. What people did behind closed doors was none of his business. She also knew that quite a number of Pixies were sexually intimate with one another, especially after couple of sips of Moon Mead. It’s just that she didn’t think it would ever happen to her. The green haired Pixie had actually tried not to think about sex in her new body, putting it out of her mind. That was until she met Mab.

Was Poppy concerned her wife wouldn't approve, that couldn't be the issue. Elaine wouldn't want her to remain celibate. As a Fae, Poppy didn’t have any issues with being attracted to either gender. Fae as she understood were notoriously bi-sexual. Perhaps it wasn't even the girl with a girl thing. Maybe it was just the last bit of Matt inside her trying to hold onto the past.

What was even stranger, anytime she looked up, Poppy found Mab smiling at her. Most likely the hamadryad had set her up, now feeling quite over dressed as Morgan’s mother walked out of the forest looking more like a college student from Berkeley than a Fairy Queen but the Sapphira didn't intend for this to happen. Did she?

“Poppy, are you alright?” Morgan asked before taking another slice of pizza.

Startled, the green haired Pixie nodded. “Sorry, just lost in thought.”

Queen Mab smiled as their two eyes met, and then as if forcing herself she turned towards Caitrin. “So as I was saying, you won’t have to worry about the compulsion anymore. That particular enchantment was not difficult to remove.”

“I hear a but.” Morgan said.

The Warrior Queen nodded, before passing an ancient looking blade to the tall blonde haired Aos Sidhe. From what Poppy gathered, she had been sealed away in the blade for a number of centuries and had just been recovered over the summer.

“Unfortunately, the spells that bind you to the Athame, I dislike what might happen to you if I remove them. Vile magic, your spirit is so entwined with the blade, child, that I’m afraid if we break the enchantment, it will be fatal to you.”

Caitrin, who had remained standing behind Morgan, curtsied. “Your Majesty, you have done more than I have ever hoped.” Turning to Princess Morgan she smiled. “Your Highness, will you please continue to keep the blade in your possession.”

“Of course, Caitrin.” Morgan took the blade sadly. “Mom, there must be more we can do.”

The Queen of the Fae sighed. “I will think on it but at least for now, she won’t be a slave to whoever holds the blade.”

Morgan nodded sliding the Athame into her boot. “You of course may do as you wish, Caitrin.”

“Then I wish to remain in your service.” The Aos Sidhe said.

“Wait…what…but you’re free. You can go anyplace you like. Why remain here?”

“Yes that may be true Your Highness; however I am only free because of you. As you know, we Aos Sidhe always pay our debts.”

Going down into a deep curtsey, her head almost touching the ground the Aos Sidhe said. "I Caitrin, promise by Ash, Oak and Hawthorne that I will in the future be ever faithful to your Highness, never cause you harm and will observe my homage to you completely, protecting your person with my own body if needed against all persons without deceit."

Morgan looked at her mom for a moment, who only nodded. Rising from the ground, she said. “And I Morgan, Daughter of Mab, Princess of the Summer Court willingly accept your homage by Ash, Oak and Hawthorne into my Troupe. I will from this day forward until the ending of the world, or until you wish to be released from such vows, honor your loyalty, and your service.”

Lord Alexander clapped his hands. “Welcome to our little but ever expanding Troupe, Caitrin.”

“Thank you my lord.” She said happily as both Poppy and Samphire gave her a hug.

“Well, I’m happy that’s taken care of for now.” Queen Mab said, and then smiled sadly. “However my beloved daughter, I have to go.”

“Really, I thought you might be able to stay for a little while longer.” Morgan pouted a little before reaching over to hug her mom. The two of them held one another for a moment.

“Perhaps when school is out, you and I will go on a real vacation.” The Warrior Queen brushed the hair from Morgan’s face.

Poppy smiled at that. She knew that Morgan really wanted to spend time with her mother to get to know her better.

“Poppy, come speak with me for a moment.” Leaning over the Queen of the Fae kissed her daughter’s forehead. “I will talk to you tonight.”

“OK.” Morgan sniffled.

Surprisingly, Mab took Poppy by the hand and led her off towards the woods.

“I wonder what that’s all about.” Morgan frowned then turned to Samphire.

“Don’t look at me; I only suggested the outfit.”

Caitlin took one look at the hamadryad then the two Fae broke out in giggles. Alex opened his mouth to say something but instead grinned.

Poppy returned a few minutes later as Queen Mab disappeared into the forest.

“So Poppy, what did my mother want?” Morgan asked.

The green haired Pixie, look a little dazed. “She asked me on a date.”

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading!

As a side note, sorry for the slow update to the story, December was a terrible month for me to get any writing done.

-Elsbeth

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One wicked author

Always leaving us with a cliff hanger. Can't wait to read your next installment.

Cliff hanger

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm happy your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Pixie's Honor

And may I ask what's wrong with Olives on Pizza?

Richard

Olives

Of any variety are vile, nasty poisonous things that don't belong on anything :)

However, hamburger, mushroom, green pepper is the best pizza.

Olives are required!

I like olives, canadian bacon, lots of cheese, tomato, pineapple, little bit of green pepper. Yummmmm. What did I miss?

G

2 things

Sadarsa's picture

There are 2 things that i believe don't belong on a pizza.

one of them is of course Olives--yuck! evil foul things, but at least people but the black ones on them instead of the projectile vomit inducing green olives

The second thing is pineapple... i actually like pineapple, it's good in a fruit salad or baked on top of a ham, or even in some tropical drink (preferably with Rum!) But to put pineapple on a pizza is a sacrilege against the divine gods of Pizza who look down from atop the peaks of Mt. Dew.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Olives--yuck!

Elsbeth's picture

I agree foul beastlies, everything else for the most part I'm game, even pineapple. Went to a place recently where they had strudel pizza for dessert, wasn't bad. I'm rather fond of calzones thou.

Thanks for reading!

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Personal tastes vary

Diesel Driver's picture

But to say that olives don't belong on a pizza is almost sacrilege. Peperoni, Canadian Bacon and Black Olives make ambrosia. Anything else just dilutes the goodness.

Chris

A date?

Hmmm, this is new ground. I always assume that such disparate levels of rank in a relationship can cause a number of obvious problems. It is like the Queen of England getting involved with a simple foot soldier.

Also, it seems clear now that when Matt passes on, all that will be left will be Poppy. The mystery is still there as to why Poppy came into being in the first place though.

Oh and mushrooms on pizza? I always love mine slathered with it. Veggie pizzas in general are pretty good too though.

Just glad to see you back writing Elsbeth :)

Kim

Queen of England

Elsbeth's picture

For a simple roll in the hay, Aos Sidhe aren't that picky (even a mortal) Mab however, does have a thing for warriors. Although for a more formal relationship, your right the Aes Sidhe tend to stick within their social ranks. So perhaps something is different with Poppy that Mab noticed. :)

Love mushrooms on pizza, with double cheese works for me

Glad to be writing, and thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Olives on pizza?

Well, as long as you add spinach, a certain sailor and his goil will be happy. :) Wondering how many other Fae Courts are out there. Do they include elves and dwarfs as well as other legendary creatures o folklore? Wonder what they would think of Denise in her costume/

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Fae Courts

Elsbeth's picture

Spinach isnt bad on a pizza, most veggies make me happy. Oh there are quite a few such creatures wandering around Skogshaven at any one time. Best not to be too near the woods during the night though.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Poppy's got a date with a Queen?

Hmmmm, now there's an interesting twist in events! Matt's body is still clinging to life in the hospital, but for how long, what happens when it passes on? I guess time will tell. Now as for pizza, there are so many different variation(some of which boggle the mind), my fav. Is bbq chicken! Yummy! (LOL). Nice chapter Elsbeth, thank for coming back to this one dear. Please do keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa

Date with a Queen

Elsbeth's picture

And the poor girl doesnt know what to do with herself :) BBQ chicken, sounds good too. Happy you liked the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Great to see another chapter

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Great to see another chapter of this story Elsbeth. A fun way to welcome in the new year. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Thanks!!

Elsbeth's picture

I was very happy to get this chapter out, really wanted to get back to writing. Now I just need to update the rest of my stories :) Glad your liking it.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

But Harry, it's pizza!

I'm sorry but The Fey and Pizza gave me Harry Dresden flashbacks where he uses the delicious food to bribe, err motivate his fairy snitches and henchmen.

Perhaps the Queen is dating under her station or maybe not. Poppy's status and just how and why she came about is still a mystery to us. Her abilities to grow as well as her sword singing to her suggests she anything but ordinary.

Still what a great teaser at the end! Just what do you wear to a date with a Queen? Me thinks Sapphira is going to have some more fun dressing up her favorite victim! :)

Hugs
Grover

Got it in one, Grover ...IMHO

Mab is a WARRIOR Fey queen. And this version of Mab is human friendly, sort of... Hey she IS Fey Royalty.

Popy though a former human or soon to be former human, is also a WARRIOR Fey. The long lost sword of a great pixie warrior chose her, sang out to her.

In addition to possibly being of partially Fey blood -- thus her creation from the dying doctor -- she is a shape shifting pixie who can take human form and size which is rare. AND she is both a former doctor -- IE retains all he knew -- AND is a magical healer... extremely rare.

AND as a human he was also a warrior as he fought in Nam.

That combined makes her very desirable to Mab as she may be an equal, IE Poppy is possibly a Pixie royal. Plus Pixies are sexual dynamos, bi and let s face it, among a race of magically hotties Poppy is one of the hottest. And a caring soul.

Add in she has pledged herself to Morgan's side, Mab's daughter and heir--- how could Mab NOT be drawn to Poppy. And Mab is whoa mamam good looking so Poppy is attracted.

Still wonder about Poppy and his late wife, when Poppy was a male human.

He MUST have had Fey blood in him. But was there anything special about the late wife? Just a good woman he loved or did she have some magic in her background?

And for that matter was his transformation into Poppy a fortuitous accident, inevitable or arranged?

John in Wauwatosa loving this tale. Cute on the surface but lots of intrigue to keep ones interest.

John in Wauwatosa

Who knows?

Just because Poppy has some very special qualities does not automatically make her not a foot soldier. It all depends on how fae society works. If being noble is only by blood then, unless she has it in her heritage, then she may never become a noble. OTOH, if she is 'of the blood' does that automatically make her Fae noble. Or whether all Fae nobles are created due to great deeds?

Just another question of course.

Kim

Harry Dresden

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, its always wise to offer Sapphira large quantities of pizza to keep her happy. :) Glad your liking the story, and your right about dressing Poppy. She is so new to this that Sapphira cant help herself not to pick on Poppy a little :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Great way to start the New Year!

Great way to start the New Year!
A new chapter of Pixie’s Honor.
Thank you Elsbeth!

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

Dating

terrynaut's picture

I love the date. Nice way to end the chapter.

I really like this story. Like John says, it's cute on the surface but it has a lot of intriguing things to keep us hungry readers happy.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

A date with the queen

Diesel Driver's picture

WOO HOO!!! A date with the queen! That sure came as a surprise to me, apparently to Poppy as well. Great story, I'm really enjoying it. Wish I could read it all at one sitting but the waiting forced on me by RL just makes my anticipation grow stronger.

Thanks for the great story Elsbeth (have I mentioned that I love that name too?).

Chris

Thanks!!

Elsbeth's picture

I'm rather fond of the name too :) I'm happy your enjoying my story, and thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.