Take Three Girls Part 2

Printer-friendly version


Take Three Girls - Part 2

Take Three Girls 2.jpg

Take Three Girls. This is about 2 girls and one woman (myself) and their very different route to become the women they knew they should be. It was going to be called Take Two Girls, but an on line friend (she knows who she is) and the girls bullied me into the name change. Some poetic licence has been used to help the flow of the story but not very much.

In this chapter I am concentrating on Kate because as you may have read in Part 1 Kate was having quite a difficult time. As this is a true story all names and locations have been changed.

**********************************

My story is told, is history. Now I can concentrate on Kate and Victoria who both had very different experiences of the joy and pain of finding themselves.

Now back to Kate’s story.
.
After June and Kate left us we sat in the sun for a short while then went back to the office Jan asked me, “Well what do you think of Kate?” I considered this question carefully finally answering, “Jan I don’t think that is the end of our involvement with her. Also I’m sure that she had gynecomastia because I am certain that I felt them when I comforted her.”
“Hmmmm” was the considered response from Jan, except for, “She’s a gutsy little thing though!” I grunted, “You’re not wrong there. I think she’ll get anything she wants through sheer force of character!”

The phone rang and Jan put it onto speaker while I closed the door to the office.
“Hi June” Jan said, telling June that we had the speakerphone on so we could discuss Kate.
June filled us in (well as much as she could) on how she became involved. When Kate arrived at school battered it was the school that contacted the social services. Kate is in temporary care until things can be discussed and hopefully sorted out with her parents so far this was not going well.

We asked about counselling for Kate, June told us that this is why she sent her to us to see what we think.

Next came school, June heaved a sigh telling us, “It’s the same at school she told everyone that her name was Kate and she was a girl – she will only answer to Kate.”
I asked about bullying: this caused June to chuckle, “No problems at all the kids who tried ended up worse off he’s a feisty little thing and her brother keeps an eye on her.”
Jan commented, “June until we get this sorted out things may go a little smoother if you refer to him as a her – if you see what I mean! The same with any foster carer, it may smooth things a bit.” “Yeh I see what you mean” June started to say when she stopped. “Hang on a minuet my mobiles going.”

She was back to us after a minuet or so telling us, “Got to go, he’s done a runner after cutting every stitch of clothing he has except for what he has on his back.” Then as an afterthought added “She, but you get the idea”.
With that Jan and I were left looking at each other Jan asked, “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”
I nodded answering, “You get home and I’ll stay!” “You sure she asked” I nodded adding, “Look Jan you’ve got builders in and your kids’ll be home soon get off with you.”
Getting her coat Jan gave me a peck on the cheek saying, “You’re a Star Avril or can I call you Av?” I gave a snort at that, “Gerroff home before I change my mind.”

I settled down putting the radio on and making a cup of tea also making sure that the door was open as we both had the same feeling we would have a little visitor in the near future.

Three hours later and I had just phoned my next-door neighbour to get her to let my dogs out and feed them I glanced up and sure enough there stood Kate.
“Oh Kate, what have you done?” I sighed. I could see she was agitated so I told her, “Look come on in love no ones going to do anything to you but sweetheart you just cannot go on this way.”

“I’m not going back” was the defiant answer. I sighed at this, “Kate love, you’re twelve” “Thirteen” came the response. “Right” I snapped “Thirteen” then mellowing I softly said, “But it’s so difficult to help you when all you do is silly things like cut up all your clothes – why did you do it love?”
“She kept calling me a boy wouldn’t believe me! I’m not going back never!” I sighed at this saying, “Cup of tea?” a shake of the head was the reply to this so I tried again, “Hungry” at least I got a begrudging nod to this question.
I soldiered on, “Don’t tell me McD’s again?” this time I got a response; “Can we?” I nodded then put the proviso to Kate, “But I’ve got to call June we’ve got everyone looking for you!”
“Not going back” was the response. I sighed again “Look Kate let me call June and we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it – is that ok?” I got a begrudging “ok Av.” (At least she was calling me by my name)

I phoned June and told her that I had Kate with me and would meet her across the road. I pre-warned June that Kate doesn’t want to go back. June sighed saying; “And Mrs Blackman doesn’t want her back says that she’s disruptive so we are in a bit of a quandary here Avril”

We went across and again had a McDonalds, as we sat down I commented that I’d soon look like a Big Mac! Kate looked at me and gave me a cheeky grin that completely transformed her from a dour scowly bolshie teen into an animated quite pretty girl!

“You ought to smile more often” I said, “Why” was the answer “You look quite pretty when you smile – but there again you’ve not had much to smile about have you.”
“Do I?” came the question, “Do you what” I replied, “Look pretty?” I sighed, “Yes Kate, yes you do.” Thank you” now I was confused (Kate has a habit of doing that) “What for” I countered. “For telling me I’m pretty.”

We ate for a while I let Kate do all the talking she talked about her brothers her mum but never her dad. She commented on what girls around us were wearing whishing she could wear the same.

“How do your brothers feel about you (now I had to tread carefully here) telling your mum you’re a girl?” She gave a broad grin saying, “them three don’t mind they’ve always said I should have been a girl, Big Carl said mam always wanted a girl then I popped out.”

“What are they like?” Kate smiled affectionately saying, “They’re monsters, thick as two short planks but they look after me – Wayne’s still at school so the bullies leave me alone else he’d deck em!”

She obviously adored her brothers. Then she carried on, “I’ve got to be a girl cos I’ve got brains them three don’t” I automatically corrected her, “It’s do not, not don’t” “Eh” she responded. “Kate” I sighed, “If you’re going to be a girl you will have to learn how to speak like one.” (Now how middle class is that?)

Kate chortled at that, “Wot me! Speaking all posh Aunty Av” I realised what I had said and started to say I was sorry; but Kate butted in, “Aunty Av; you’re right I want to be just like you, a proper girl!”

I realised the problems I may have inadvertently caused and tried to backtrack then something struck me. “Where did the Aunty bit come from?” She gave me that cheeky grin and answered, “Well you’re just like an Aunty” then her face changed to the sulky bolshie teenager, “Shit! The wicked witch of the west’s arrived.” I turned and saw June I hissed, “language Kate and June’s nice she really care’s”

June arrived and said, “There you are Kate I was worried. Just a sec while I get something to eat I’m starving.” I took this time to speak to Kate, “Now look, you be nice to June – give her a chance ok?” I got a glower but a grudging “Ok Aunty Av” off her.

June came back with a cheeseburger and coffee as she sat down she sighed “Oh Kate what am I going to do with you?” “Not going back” came the defiant response. “No Kate your not going back, Mrs Blackman won’t have you back so it looks like the hostel for you until we can find somewhere!”

I was appalled not really thinking I blurted out, “June you can’t sent her there that’d be cruel.”
June looked at me shrewdly saying, “Well Jan’s house is like a building site so she’s out. That only leaves..........” She tapered off looking directly at me. “Oh please Aunty Av, please” this came from Kate.

I was in a state of shock, “but I’ve never looked after, I mean I’ve not been vetted errrr.” Then I ran out of excuses. June looked at me saying “Avril you’ve got your CRB check, this is an emergency can you help or can’t you?”

“How long?” I asked weakly. “Oh about a week ten days at the most” was the reply.
I looked at Kate’s eager animated face and knew I couldn’t refuse so I gathered what shreds of dignity I had and nodded, “Ok June I’ll do it.”

June gave me a broad smile saying, “Thank god Avril, I hoped against hope that you’d agree – Jan said she thought you would.”
I realised that I had been stitched up like a kipper and grinned ruefully. Kate was beaming she looked just like any other little girl.

June finished her food and getting up said “Oh you’ll need some clothes for your lodger – Aunty Av! Keep the receipts and I’ll see you’re reimbursed – Bye, see you tomorrow and don’t forget the school uniform, that was shredded too!” with that she left a glowing ecstatic Kate and a very bewildered me.

I looked at my watch, it was a little before six, “right young lady we’ve got some shopping to do.” Luckily it was Thursday which was late night shopping. So we got into my beat up Ford Focus and headed for the nearest branch of Matalan. (This is a retail chain of clothes shops that sell good quality clothes at a good price.)
As we arrived and got out of the car Kate took my hand and beaming up at me saying, “I really like you aunty Av you understand me!” As we walked into the store I thought to myself ‘more than you realised Kate, more than you realise’.

You've ot a Friend

Note: the CRB is a check that is carried out on all people working with children and vulnerable adults it is designed to stop unsuitable people gaining access to the children.

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Don't do McD's!

Rhona McCloud's picture

Just teasing as I don't have a problem with 'don't' but do still shudder at memories of three boys' worth of Mc Ds as they grew up. On the other hand 'stitched up like a kipper' is a phrase from the history books so I suspect a learning process is coming for both of them and we readers

Rhona McCloud