Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2444

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2444
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“D’you think they’ll find out who we are?” I asked Si as we went to sleep in our own bed, my face was burning despite some arnica cream I used.

“Who’s they?”

“The press.”

“If they do Jason will have a field day closing it down, writs will be flying faster than Concorde.”

“Concorde?”

“Yeah, you know, the supersonic airliner.”

“I know what you mean, it’s just I was surprised at your use of it.”

“I’ve flown in it.”

“When?”

“About fifteen years ago. Dad took me to the States in it.”

“Did Stella go as well?”

“No, she was doing something girly like a gymkhana.”

“I think you got the better deal.”

“So do I, but she had ambitions of riding for GB in the Olympics or something.”

“She’s a good equestrian, then?”

“She was, don’t think her arse has sat on a horse for ten years or more.”

“D’you need to be so crude, darling?”

“I’m an aristocrat, we’re all vulgar.”

“So I heard.”

“From where?”

“Don’t you mean who?”

“Didn’t think you’d name names.”

“It was Stella, I think.”

“There’s a surprise.”

“Why d’you say that?”

“Because it’s the sort of thing Stella would say being a total hypocrite.”

“Is she?” I was and wasn’t surprised by this.

“Yeah, she can tell the plebs to naff orff, just as well as Princess Anne.”

“Isn’t that being a snob more than crude?”

“Not when she says it to all and sundry, including other aristos.”

“I suspect there probably some I’d like to say it to.”

“But you don’t, because you really are a lady, an angelic one. Anyway, my angelic aristocrat, I’m working tomorrow, so my slumber becomes somewhat pressing.” We kissed and I turned over on my side facing away from him, whereupon he cuddled into the back of me and we both fell asleep quite quickly, me with visions of Stella telling someone to naff orff.

The next morning I was surprised to see Simon still asleep in the bed with me. “I thought you had to go to work?” I said to him.

“Not until nine, I have a meeting.”

“Has Sammi gone on her own?”

“I hope not, she’s supposed to be accompanying me to the meeting.”

“It’s seven, this time tomorrow the girls all go back to school.”

“I thought Trish would have been at Oxford by now.”

“Why?” I hoped I sounded as horrified as I felt by his suggestion.

“Well she’s a genius, isn’t she?”

“I don’t know about genius, but she is a gifted child.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Um—genius?”

He rolled his eyes, “Bloody women, you’ll change the subject next.”

“Who me? No I won’t—they say it’s supposed to get quite warm today.”

“See, I told you.”

“Told me it was going to be warm?”

“No, about you changing the subject.”

“But I haven’t—it’s you who’s done that.”

“What are you on about?”

“Can’t stop, need to get showered and organise breakfast.” I shot into the bathroom partly to confuse him and partly to answer a pressing call of nature. I half expected him to follow me into the shower and might not have refused a bit of hanky-panky if he’d asked—but he didn’t. Instead I got dried and dressed and on returning to the bedroom found he was fast asleep again.

“Si, you’re going to be late,” I said to him shaking him gently.

“Yeah okay,” he said without opening his eyes.

I went to the bathroom and returned with a cool damp flannel. I’d only touched half his face when he jumped out of bed and dashed to the bathroom making all sorts of threats. I went downstairs with a soggy Lizzie, who seemed to have a teething cold. I changed her and let her clamp as best she could to my breast. Her breathing was obviously worrying her and she cried with frustration. I felt like joining her.

First down was Julie followed by Jacquie and then Sammi. Julie went up to call Phoebe who was apparently up, showered and doing her makeup. Sammi already looked like a million dollars in what looked like a Chanel suit, I have one just like—hang on... “Nice suit,” I said, it did look good on her.

“Yes, Aunty Stella said you wouldn’t mind me borrowing it for this meeting. Trying to look the aristocrat’s daughter, you know.”

Did I? Know, that is. I doubted it never having been a daughter to one. Dad was a quantity surveyor not a lord or baron or viscount or whatever. He was a professional, very good at his job and from which he made a reasonable living. So that would make me a middle class school kid not a baron’s brat or knight’s kid. There was no silver spoon in my gob, I was brought up to believe I would need to earn a living not be kept by a chinless wonder of a parent to be married off for breeding with some long lost cousin to produce inbreds. Sometimes I believed I got the better of the deal, but then I wasn’t sure I wanted to be an aristocrat’s wife in the first place, just happened that way. However, I hope Holly Barrett never finds out. She was a girl I used to squabble with in nursery because we both wanted to be a princess—or at least wear the outfit they had in the dressing up box. I wonder what she’s doing now, probably married to a chartered accountant with two point four children and a Vauxhall Insignia parked on the drive of her four bedroom, detached, new build house.

Well stick this, Holly, I got to be the princess after all. I blushed as I realised I nearly said that out loud to Sammi.

“You don’t mind, do you?” said Sammi snapping me back to the present.

“Not this time, sweetheart, and you do look lovely in it.”

“Thank you, Mummy.” We hugged and she pecked me on my cheek. “Meeting you and Daddy was the best thing ever.”

I smiled back to her, I suspected she was right but confirming it might seem a trifle smug.

“Meeting them was the best thing for all of us,” observed Julie buttering some toast before scoffing it.

“I’ll second that,” agreed Phoebe. “When my first mum died I never thought anyone could ever take her place, yet I needed someone. When I saw her at the cemetery that day we should have done that course she told me that Cathy was the right person to take over from her. I’m so glad you did, Mummy.” She hugged me and pecked me on the cheek, too.

“Okay, enough of the nostalgia, let’s get this show on the road.” I bustled about the kitchen making teas and toasts while Julie made herself and Simon coffees. He appeared as if by magic once his coffee was poured, followed by Tom coming in through the back door with Kiki.

“Och, that smells guid,” he said sniffing the aroma of coffee, so Julie poured him a cup as well.

“Did you vote?” Simon asked Tom.

“They didnae gie us exiles a vote, we’d hae voted no, unlike thon bairns he’s gi’n thae vote tae.” I took it Daddy disapproved of sixteen-year-olds being encouraged to vote in the Scottish referendum, seeing it as an easy way of increasing the yes vote. Cynical? Perhaps, but I agreed with him.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Such a calm episode

after all of the recent excitement. Maybe Cathy can catch her breath.

Non-function Kudo button, so

Non-function Kudo button, so here a Baker's dozen for you (13 in the US). Just wondering, if Scotland is voted into an independent country, will it be independent in the same sense as Canada or other Commonwealth nations? A Governor General, Prime Minister and Queen Elizabeth still the Crown Head over all? Janice Lynn

Scots

Complicated subject, with the 'yes' side making a lot of promises that it has been told repeatedly it can't deliver. The children's vote thing sums it up: the nationalists have given the vote to children in order to cash in on juvenile romanticism, but the polls indicate that the kids are actually more conservative in their outlook than the adults!

Either way, it's a nasty mess driven by one man's vanity project.

It has been quite

difficult sorting out the lies from the truth, Even for someone like myself who likes to take in all forms of media Given that many do not even bother to do that and vote purely on emotion, It is kind of worrying for the rest of the UK, Who if the vote is for "yes" will find themselves paying indirectly for a small part of the total electorates need for a freedom that will be anything but what they imagine it to be.

From my own personal point of view i think your last line paraphrases my views perfectly ... Lets all hope we do not live to regret his vanity..

Kirri

Thamk you

I am caught between two stools here. The hope that the vote is a sane one, and the desire to see Salmond having to confront the fact that what he promised never existed.

The sad thing is that if the vote is No, that lesson will never be learned.

+1

Generally I am strongly in favour of much more regional autonomy in all of the United Kingdom. But this wasn't what was on offer, nor was the offer credible, IMHO.

Also, I could not wish the shambles, that would have followed a "Yes" vote, onto half the population of Scotland, let alone the effect on rUK. Like a casting vote, my position was for the status quo.

I was particularly struck by the way the Three Stooges* were forever complaining of 'Scotland'** being bullied - by "Westminster", by "the City", by "the banks", by parts of the EU. (Somehow they missed the IMF, or I missed that particular complaint!)

Stories here, my own life, and experiences of my children, and of many others I know, point to the victims of bullying keeping schtum for fear of making matters worse. If the victims do fight back, then it is always the bullies themselves who cry "I am being bullied". That had actually turned me off, well before I satisfied*** myself that this was a castle built on sand - with far too much 'hand-wave' and dependance on the one report/statement/document that supported their view.

Xi

*S-almond, S-turgeon & S-winney
** which they claimed to represent. but we now know they did not.
*** I have actually checked Articles 48 and 49 of the Single European Act! (Saddo)

Not Democracy

joannebarbarella's picture

No Scots living outside of Scotland can vote and nor can anyone with Scottish blood who might have an opinion (like me). If you're Polish and living in Scotland you get a say. Very cynical I think and definitely skewed to achieving a "Yes" vote.
I will bet that if the result is a narrow "No" that the Nationalists will not really accept the result but will force rerun after rerun, just as the separatists in Quebec did over many years,

Joanne

I probably have as much

Angharad's picture

Scottish blood as Salmond, so reckon I have a right to vote. As a Brit who will have to live with the consequences of what ever 7 or 8 per cent of the population decide, I think I also have a right to vote otherwise it's a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Angharad

I understand...

I understand turnout was amazingly high. Someone even suggested that residents as old as 300 voted... More seriously, it would be good if turnout in other elections (say the upcoming US elections in November) were equally high... Though, far to many people here are soo turned off the process that this is unlikely.

Otherwise, interesting turn of events. It's quite amazing that Sammi, Cathy and Stella have sizes that are so close together that they can share suits. Must be nice though...

Annette