Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2827

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2827
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I walked to the taxi rank knowing that I was being followed but wasn’t sure why, though as the CIA hadn’t taken much notice in me before I had to assume it was to do with my assistance in preventing the assassination at Waterloo of the Israeli negotiator. But weren’t the CIA in favour of those talks? So just what was he doing and how did he know which train I’d be going for? A mole in Special Branch or did they simply tell them and for what purpose?

If the films I’d seen and articles I’d read were to be believed, the Company pretty well did what it liked until something went wrong and it came to wider notice, then someone would say mea culpa and it would all carry on as before, usually once someone had metaphorically fallen on his sword. I didn’t know if this was true or not but it was likely to be so at least some of the time. At the same time it was probably true that some were genuine and worked for their country through their office, not the other way round. As Jack Kennedy said, ‘Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.’

How much of a patriot would I be? I don’t know and I suppose it depend upon the cause. Would I risk my life for the UK government? Probably not. For the land I live in? Maybe. For the people I know? Yes. For my family and friends—absolutely. I suspect most people would be similar, the closer the threat comes the more likely it is to get a positive reaction.

Those who sign up to protect their country—our armed services, law and order services, including intelligence and police and even fire and rescue services such as fire and lifeboats, rescue helicopters and so on, sign a contract or even pledge to serve their country, usually the reigning monarch but in effect means the government. However, I have heard servicemen and ex servicemen say they pledged to serve the Queen not some dozy politician, then because she’s head of the armed services, if the government and monarchy came into conflict—the armed services are all pledged to serve the monarch. Could cause problems. If it was a case of Queen or Parliament, though I have no credence in any of the current politicians, save possibly Nick Clegg—who seems quite a balanced sort of chap—my support would be for the democratic process over an hereditary monarch. I’m sure she’d understand, if not it’d be off to the tower and removal of my head—with a sword, not an axe—it’s supposed to be cleaner and quicker—just because I’m now a noblewoman by my marriage to Simon.

All these ideas went through my head as I travelled in my taxi and I was being followed by another. I asked mine to take a roundabout route and still we were followed, so I asked if there was some way he could lose the other cab which contained my ex husband who was trying to find out where I lived now despite a restraining order for assault. I know, the lies get bigger.

“Why don’t you just call the cops?”

“Last time his lawyer got it dismissed.”

“Okay, wotcha want me t’ do?”

“Can you lose him enough to drop me nearby where I can hide until he goes past and I can walk home.”

“Not on the address you gave me, can I take you some place else?”

“To the university campus.”

“Okay, here we go.”

I closed my eyes as ‘Lewis Hamilton’ did some suicidal driving but we lost our tail. I got to the university and found that Daddy was in doing some paperwork. I got him to take me home and we had no tail—that I saw.

An hour later, I’d just finished dinner and the doorbell rang. As we weren’t expecting anyone, Simon went to answer it and called me. My man from Exxon was standing in the hall, “Lady Cameron, we meet again.”

“What are you doing here, Mr Brown?”

“It was my job to protect you so you got here.”

“You obviously did a good job, as you can see.”

“So who are you?” Simon asked our visitor.

“This, darling, is Mr Jason Brown of the Central Intelligence Agency.”

“Is that related to the CIA?” asked Simon and Brown and I looked at each other and raised eyebrows—our own, naturally. Well he is an hereditary nobleman, inbreeding and so must take their toll.

“It is the CIA,” I sighed.

“I wanted to see if Mr Brown knew the answer.” Duh? Simon does a very good upper class twit—sometimes I do wonder if it’s an act though.

“I do, sir,” said our visitor politely.

“Would you care for some coffee, Mr Brown, it is your name, isn’t it?”

“Yes, ma’am, though I wasn’t aware they’d briefed you.”

“Nor I you.”

“Si, would you show Mr Brown into the sitting room while I make some coffee.”

My husband was surprised by my request but agreed to do so and stayed with him. I made a cafetiere with three cups in it and carried it through with cups, milk and sugar and some biscuits.

I poured the coffees and then asked Mr Brown if I needed protecting, why was an American agency assigned to it not our own Special Branch or MI5?

“Good point.”

“I hope I’m going to get a true answer this time or I shall call Commander Strong and have you arrested.”

“Whoa there, you don’t pull punches do you? I thought you academics were supposed to bumble through life in your ivory towers, not leap into action like Wonder Woman.”

“I’m on holiday, I do what I like then.”

“Oh, okay.” He sipped his black coffee. “Here’s my ID.” He handed me an identity card with the logo of the CIA on it. I wouldn’t know if it was genuine but I suspected it was. “You were involved in the prevention of an assassination at Water-loo station...”

Do all Americans pause on multi-syllabled words?

“...the guy you protected was Mr Iacov Levi, a senior diplomat, though he’s not supposed to be on the official radar, so how the radical Zionists knew who he was, is a matter we’re hoping to identify in consultation with the Israeli government. Looks like they could have a spy in their camp.

“We spotted the gang, four of them coming in through Spain on scheduled flights to Gatwick. We knew they were here for no good reasons and that they could be an assassination squad. Somehow they slipped our tail and got to their target, or one of them did and you happened to be there, saw what was gonna happen and stopped it.”

I shrugged.

“How the hell did you spot it?”

“I told the police what I saw, he was looking anxious. At first I wondered if he was a claustrophobe but it wasn’t typical and he kept looking at the chap he tried to kill. As he moved with some purpose instead of pacing about I knew something was afoot and moved to try and stop whatever it was.” I didn’t tell him that I thought he might be about to commit suicide. “So why you and not MI5 protecting me?”

“I know all the members of the gang. Your guys don’t, so they asked me to watch over you. That guy on the train, presumably that was just a little local difficulty?”

“What guy on the train, Cathy?”

“The police got the train held for me, just two or three minutes and some bloke took umbrage and called me names. I told him to go away or I call the guard and have him taken off the train. He went to get physical and Mr Brown interceded and the man went away.”

“Thank you for that, Mr Brown,” offered Simon, “though I suspect he might have been safer with you stopping it going any further, Cathy tends to defend herself when under threat. The other guy always comes off worse.”

“So I hear. But that’s why I was there, we knew which train because Scotland Yard told us which one they’d get you on. Slipping my tail on the way home wasn’t a good idea, you could have been in danger.”

“Oh come off it, I did a bit of derring-do, I’m not involved in the political shenanigans, so why would I be at risk?”

“They think you are, and the press have got hold of the story.”

“What d’you mean?” I gasped.

“Someone captured it on a smart phone and it’s on the news and presumably youtube.”

Oh poo.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy does have a knack

for falling in the poo. But then she get out of it smelling like Roses.

Roses?? Cathy??

persephone's picture

Oh…
You mean large amounts of very sharp thorns usually covered by a pretty bloom.

:)

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Mrs Bean?

Well perhaps not but sometimes a clever move can 'accidently' look like a clumsy bit of bumbling either intentionally or unintentionally. Smart cookie that Cameron girl but then we all know that, don't we.

So at least one assassin down but is it two or three to go - was grumpy the second attacker looking to disguise the Zionists' attempt to eliminate the interfering bitch who 'f----d up' their cunning plan. With her out of the way they might go forward with a second attempt on the diplomat.

Still 'lovin' it Ang.

bev_1.jpg

Monarch or president?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Having tried different figureheads over the centuries I suspect that Britain finds the advantage of a monarch is that they and their families are effectively held hostage - presidents and their families either become dictators or 'do a runner' when the fertilizer strikes the distributer.

Rhona McCloud

Good deeds as always

As always no good deed goes unpunished.

Continuing to love our daily Bike. It's almost addictive, but a good addiction.

Keep on keeping on.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Personally, I would love to

Personally, I would love to see Cathy go all "Robin Hood" or "Maid Marian" on the bad guys and use her trusty bow and arrows on them.
Mr. Brown certainly did not come and offer Cathy or even Simon a Very Happy New Year did he?
More like a "we hope it is a good year for you all.
Very rude in my view, although I do understand he is simply doing his job if as he claims, he is there to protect her and by extension the rest of the family.

Oh Good

Now Cathy is getting her Wonder Woman on eh? These are always fun.

Thank you

Gwen

Maxwell Smart to the rescue

Gee Rhona, I can't think of an American President who did a Dixie, or became a tyrant. I can however think of a few who were killed while in office. Bad example ?
If Col. Flagg said he was there to protect Cathy, maybe she wouldn't have lost him.
Maybe she didn't have a need to know.

Cefin

Presidents

TheCropredyKid's picture

Nixon was well on his way to becoming a tyrant. The novel The Last President, co-authored by SF writer mike Kurland, looks at a President very like Nixon...

 
 
 
x

The real question here.....

D. Eden's picture

Is whether Brown is in fact there to protect Cathy, or if she is being used as a particularly attractive and very public piece of bait in order to catch the other three villains?

Having done it myself before, it is a particularly common tactic, but one in which the bait stands a good chance of getting eaten. As for myself, I always told the bait what was going on. An aware piece of bait has a much better chance of surviving.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Full allegiance of Soldiers

Here in the United States we don't swear an oath to defend our Government. What we give an oath to is to defend the Constitution of the United States of America from ALL enemies, foreign or domestic. So, what we are sworn to uphold is our Constitution and not our Government as our Government could theoretically become an Un-Constitutional Government. In which case, we are sworn to defend the Constitution which could theoretically mean fighting against our Government. Do I ever want to see this happen in my lifetime? Nope, because even though I am no longer a member of my Country's military and have the DD-214 to prove it, I have not been released from my oath to defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

The only problem with that is ...

... we don't have a constitution to defend like you upstart colonials :) We have the hereditary monarchy and aristocracy to tug the forelock to, much as I would like it to be otherwise.

Robi

Keep in mind

All government employees pledge to defend the constitution of the United States. As it turns out it is the same oath of office the POTUS takes as I was surprised to find out when I interned a US government agency.

Point is, conspiracy minded people who treat government as an institution who will turn on them at a drop of a hat has way too much time on their hands and undeserved disdain for those folks in government who do make it possible for us to have a working country.

Whereas there are power mad people who might try to rule the US, that never lasts long as Nixon found out. And this information age, even less so.

Correction

I interned AT a government agency. I was not at Guantanamo Bay or any other prison for that matter.

The Company...

Sometimes has someone convenient but not one of them to fall on a sword. Like said in the Patton movie. Let the other B*^#*d die for the country.
You are only about 91 days from eight full years of writing. Congratulations.

Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Our present Queen

I would have no problem tugging the forelock too, If only for the fact by dint of her long and uncomplaining service to the nation. But her son would be a different matter altogether, Maybe he is a nice guy but as a king I have great doubts. To me his head spends far too much time in the clouds, nice I guess in a British eccentric sort of way but as the titular head of state it leaves a lot to be desired,As for a replacement (if we have to have one) his son William seems far better suited, There is young man who understands more of the modern world than his father ever will...

Kirri

don't have a constitution

jacquimac's picture

actually we do have a constitution, it's called "Rule of Law
One for the US colonials the American Constitution stems from the "Treaty of Arbroath" as laid down by the Scottish Nobles after Robert the Bruce (Braveheart) beat the English and became king.

Not a written Constitution.

TheCropredyKid's picture

Not a written Constitution.

Also, the US Consitution to a great extend codifies English Common Law.

 
 
 
x

Braveheart

Angharad's picture

was William Wallace who was executed by Edward I, Bruce fought and won at Bannockburn against Edward II.

Angharad

Written constitution.

If your looking for one of the earliest pages of the British Constitution, look no further than Magna Carta. After that there followed many hundreds of 'Amendments' called acts of parliament or more commonly laws that have accumulated over the last 900 years.

However Magna Carta is NOT the first Page of the British constitution. King Alfred the Great's codification of Saxon laws (The Doom book of 893 ad.) might claim that privilege. Though even his laws are believed to be based on the law code of King Ine of Wessex, issued in about 694:
One thousand three hundred and twenty years (and counting) of continuous law.
That's an awful lot of law.

It might amuse some of our transatlantic cousins to also learn that both the United and several of the founding states have the Magna Carta written fully into the complete versions of their full constitutions

bev_1.jpg

Just curious though

Are any of those laws revocable by a simple act of parliament?