Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2848

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2848
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I was reading a whodunit while Mendelssohn’s violin concerto was gently playing in the background, it had taken the whole of Bruch’s one for me to relax, so while Nigel Kennedy worked his elbow I sat half listening to the music and my other brain cell dealt with the words on the page. It could be seen as pure indulgence especially as I also had a cup of freshly brewed gnat’s pee alongside me, nothing could be better, thingy was in his heaven and all’s right with the world—so watch some bar-steward go and spoil it.

Simon had stayed in town because he said things were happening that needed his attention. I know there’s plenty of worry about China’s growth dropping to six or seven per cent and various other foreigners causing problems, like the Saudi’s trying to bankrupt the US shale industry, there was also a glut of oil with Iran now having lost its pariah status for the moment, so the price of a barrel of crude was now equivalent to a bag of chips with mushy peas, or some such thing. Apparently this isn’t a good thing. I suppose from the point of view of the pension funds investing in BP it probably isn’t, it will also cause the chancellor—him in No 11 Downing Street, to throw a wobbly and cut everything but MP’s salaries or pensions.

I heard the phone ringing in the distance but tried to screen it out, it was probably someone wanting one or other of the girls. I tried to get back into my book but there were footsteps and a knock on the door, Danni poked her head round the door. “It’s Daddy for you,” she then held out the phone—a cordless handset.

“Hello, darling,” I said quietly down the phone.

“Hi, babes, things are looking worse than we thought and the bank is trying to assess where that will take us and how to respond to it, so I might be up here or elsewhere for the next few days. I’ll try and keep in touch.”

“Is this because of China’s slowdown?”

“Partly, but it’s also to do with oil prices and mining and metal prices have gone through the floor.”

“What even gold?”

“No, gold holds its value in uncertain times.”

“I can’t believe the cost of housing, it’s absurd.”

“I know but if it were to fall there’d be millions who’d find themselves in Queer Street with negative equity.”

“So will you need Gordie Broon to save the day again?”

“That would be nice but I expect we’ll find a way out of things without his help. Mind you some idiot from RBS telling everyone to sell everything the other day didn’t help.”

“I s’pose not.”

“I’ll call again tomorrow when I can.”

“Okay, darling, look after yourself.”

“Oh I will don’t worry about that.”

He rang off and I abandoned my book until I went to bed. I mused on two stories I’d read in the Guardian, one of a massacre some ten thousand years ago in Kenya where a group of mainly women and children were murdered mainly by bludgeoning but also by stabbing and drowning. A very pregnant woman was apparently trussed up and dumped in the mud of a lake and probably drowned taking her precious cargo with her. So internecine warfare is nothing new if these Stone Age bodies are anything to go on. The murder of children is nothing new but it still brings a chill to my tummy as it’s never necessary except to show how brutal and cruel you are.

Another act of barbarism, only ten thousand years more recent than the Kenya massacre was one in Pakistan where the Taliban killed dozens of students and teachers, because as barbarians, they fear education—it helps people think for themselves and diminishes the power of things like religion and gangsters like the Taliban or their friends in Syria who it appears have massacred hundreds in recent weeks. I try not to rise to the bait and wish that someone really got round to eliminating them by sending in armies not just dropping high explosives on them. The Russians are doing their bit and a conservative estimate suggests their bombing has killed somewhere around a thousand civilians. Must make Vlad really glad.

Elsewhere Donald Duck, I mean trump has been endorsed by Sarah Palin. This is like Laurel and Hardy standing for President, only they had some talent and were actually quite clever. Can Americans really be stupid enough to vote for the worst hairstyle on the planet supported by the most stupid politician ever to skin a moose—horrible woman.

So 2016 was not getting off to a very auspicious start and there was little or nothing I could do to help it. At least the sun had shone recently but at the price of some nasty frosts which according to loads of people will kill of all the bugs.

Being a biologist I ask them which bugs they mean and they usually mean viruses and other disease causes. When I suggest it would need to be a hundred degrees colder to even start to kill them, they usually change their mind and go for garden pests—some of those it might kill but it will also kill the birds and mammals which hunt them.

I missed the planetary line up. I woke an hour or so before they suggested it would best to see and did think about getting up to see it but fell asleep while deciding what I’d do. While I was sad to miss it, I think the sleep might have been more useful. Thankfully, Einstein didn’t seem to have heard about it or she’d have nagged me to go and watch it. It would also have been jolly cold standing about outside waiting for everything to align themselves. I’ve seen all of these inner planets on telescopes and the rings of Saturn have to be best thing to look at. Unfortunately, my telescope is only powerful enough to show a bulge at the centre of the large planet, but it does show the big red spot on Jupiter when it’s visible, which is some immense electrical storm which is bigger than planet earth. Jupiter is absolutely huge but now it looks like we have a possible new planet out beyond Neptune which it’s been calculated causes unexpected deviations in the orbits of various other things according to Caltech and the most likely thing is a planet of a size larger than the earth but smaller than Neptune. They also suggest it takes twenty thousand years to orbit the sun, about the same amount of time it takes one of my students to get the basics of evolution. Sometimes I wonder if human evolution peaked a few years ago and is now regressing at a rate of knots.

We hadn’t been home long when Danielle came hurtling into my study, “It’s England, Mummy...”

“What don’t tell me it’s voted to become an American State or even been sold to China for half a dozen cheap steel imports?”

“What are you on about?”

“You said something about England.”

“Yeah, they want me to attend a training camp at the weekend.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
243 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't want to look at my stocks.

Boy, you know how to pluck my strings Ang. No, Sarah Palin was making the Donald a little nervous.
Sarah could make Rambo feel self-conscious, and girly.
Funny how if the price of a barrel of oil drops, and gas is $1.85 a gallon, everything else goes to kaka.
Hey, Bernie is giving the witch of the West heartburn.

Cefin

Very true, my 401K has taken a beating......

D. Eden's picture

But at this point in time I'm actually trying to gauge when the market will bottom out and start to recover. If I can time this right, and purchase just as the market starts to recover, I can more than makeup for my losses due to the downturn.

Thank God I'm not retiring any time soon though! My retirement would be pretty gloomy and short due to the drop in the market. I have no desire to spend my retirement as the greeter at the local Walmart!

Dallas

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Most of us has

Yep.

Luckily I am not 'all in' on stocks but have a relatively diverse portfolio, including balanced funds and the like. Still, it is depressing. I am in my mid fifties now so it should flow right again when I actually retire I guess. I think when it peaks around 5 years before I retire, the whole lot goes into balanced funds.

A new planet?

Rhona McCloud's picture

I thought they'd only just got rid of an old one. Maybe we're all living in a computer simulation and the programmer likes the old number of planets.
Personally I'd not mind property prices falling but then I don't own property. Then again the banks own property so they have a vested interest in seeing prices rise. Maybe they can invent subprime mortgages again and nobody will notice.

Rhona McCloud

ITS ICY

And sunshine takes a week to get there....sounds like Krypton to me

yay

Maddy Bell's picture

For Dannii!
Something positive even if it is only kickball.

Btw, any chance of sending the blue light to Vicky Williamson, she needs all the help she can get after a life threatening crash last week in Rotterdam.

Ttfn
Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I read about it

Angharad's picture

she clashed with another girl and came off worst in the falls. It's going to take her a long time to recover her fitness after that, poor kid.

My daughter got hit off her bike last week by a driver who wasn't looking where he was going, she had right of way but that doesn't seem to worry many of them these days. We need a law to put the emphasis of blame upon the driver unless they can show it was the cyclist's fault, because 99% of the time the nut behind the wheel is the cause of the collision. There are ten times as many bad drivers as bad cyclists, in fact I would suggest there are very few drivers who I would categorise as good but plenty I'd say were rubbish. But then I see cyclists flouting the law every day and nobody does anything about it. They act like pedestrians on bikes but they can't be both at the same time.

Angharad

A day in the life of -

Still lovin' it though.
Thanks Ang.

bev_1.jpg

I don't really understand ...

... which is hardly surprising, I suppose. I seem to remember dire things happening a few years ago when oil prices went through the roof and everything else with it and that was 'BAD'. Now oil prices are going through the floor, which you'd think was 'GOOD' but no, that's 'BAD' too.

So what is 'GOOD'? A steady price? If so, what steady price? I know City whiz kids like my wife's nephews make millions whichever way things move, just as long as they do. When I say millions, that isn't an exaggeration, which is probably the reason we have less than minimal contact with that side of the family. I like to describe our state as luxurious squalor which require little money to maintain it :)

Robi

Wall Street versus Main Street

If oil was just a raw material, a dropping price would be marvelous. Every business that uses energy, chemicals, plastics, or has to pay for transportation would suddenly be more profitable. Manufacturing, agriculture, smelting, refining, commercial fishing should all be looking up, way up. Unfortunately...

The banking wonks latched onto oil as an asset class, a speculative market, and a hedge. I think for every actual barrel of oil on or in the Earth, two or three of them are floating around the economic sphere in paper form as financial products, collateral for loans, or numbers on balance sheets. And, every one of those wonks was convinced that $100 oil was the new floor, and it would soon be $200. Well, it turns out that the tail was wagging the dog, and once they realized that every storage tank on the planet was full and there was nowhere else to put any surplus oil, they headed for the exits. What you're looking at is a market bubble which has burst. It has nothing to do with the price of energy, per se, just the nearsightedness of bankers and speculators. Screw 'em. Once they've taken their medicine, the economy should recover nicely.

I think I understand

Xandra Ion's picture

The extremely low price of crude oil is bad for the oil companies. Who, since 2001, have been making fantastically huge profits, setting new records on profits each fiscal quarter since 9/11. Now that trend has gone, and the highly paid pundits are acting as if the sky is falling because the oil companies didn't post a new record of profits for the last fiscal quarter. In fact, the pundits are making it out to be some kind of economic disaster. The reality is that their profits aren't as high. Note, it's not that they aren't still making a profit, just that those profits aren't as high. Which they are playing up in a theatrically absurd fashion.

In America, the low cost of gasoline has been a godsend for families that were struggling to make ends meet when gasoline was $4 a gallon.

~XI

Politicians

Can Americans really be stupid enough to vote for the worst hairstyle on the planet supported by the most stupid politician ever to skin a moose—horrible woman.

H.L. Mencken is supposed to have stated, "Nobody every went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public". The current election cycle is, all too sadly, proving that to be true.

G/R

For as long as I can remember

Xandra Ion's picture

The choices for President have always been bad. At least bad in my eyes. For me, my voting choice has always come down to figuring out which is the worst and then voting against that candidate. I'd really like someone to vote for, but have yet to find one.

~XI

Liked it, but...

...I don't see the need for Cathy to insult waterfowl. She is after all a biologist.

Never oil

Never invest in oil. It is the most volatile commodity. And it's price is controlled by OPEC. It looks bad now, but low oil prices should eventually boost manufacturing, shipping, and consumer spending-areas that have been weak for a very long time.

American poliquacks

The reason Trump is so popular is so many of the shrinking middle class are fed up with the unrelenting BS coming from both parties. They know Trump is a buffoon and loose canon but they (and I will reluctantly admit myself) are so fed up we hope someone (Perhaps Bernie Sanders?) will upset the politiquack cart so the government can their head out of their butts!

Good luck to Danielle!

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

I hope that

Americans make the right decision ( whatever that might be ) its not going to be easy given the choice and what i have read about the likely candidates . None of them seem that outstanding and a few of them seem downright dangerous , Seems that the States seem to be following the UK in that respect and have numerous politicians whose desire for power exceeds their abilities by some considerable distance....

Great news that Danni received in her phone call , Really she should not have worried , Cream will always rise to the top...

Kirri

Killing children

Is cruel and savage but then so is this planet. It happens in nature all the time, I sadly don't expect humans to be any different. After all its me and my own, first last and always. A child of a snake is a snake is common saying in my mother tongue.

cloudy here so no planetary lineup

but I'll keep checking. Have a bigger telescope so the rings and jupiter's bands and moons are pretty visible.

agree on trump and palin - I guess her endorsement adds to the right wing radicals that support trump though.