Anchored - Part 27 "Czech Mate"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
 
Twenty Seven

 

"Czech Mate"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Monday 26th October (Continued)
 

"Err, hello Ms Lane."

"I'm sorry, Miss Smart, you may have me confused with my sister, I'm Paula Lavoska."

"Well, Ms Lavoska, I must say you look very similar."

"We're twins, but I didn't come here to talk genetics."

"Good, as that wasn't a subject I took at school." The pair laughed, politely. "How is Penny?"

"She's fine, just a little busy right now. I must say that she described you perfectly, but is Mrs Bonney available?"

"I'm afraid Sarah's away all week, I'm looking after the shop in the meantime. Can I help you?"

"Maybe, I'm the CEO of Lava Fashions in Speke on Merseyside."

"So I did I speak to you or your sister before the fashion show?"

"You dealt exclusively with her as I was in the Far East with my buyers. Penny was impressed with your organisational skills, by the way."

"Okay, thank you, so what brings you here today?"

"I try to visit each of our stockists once every few years after we start trading with them but your trade with us has increased several hundred percent since May so I wanted to say hello sooner rather than later."

"Sarah will be disappointed she missed you, but we're a long way off the usual routes."

"I also wanted to visit the Orkneys to discuss distributing their woollen wear, it seemed quite sensible to make it a road trip and call in here on the way."

"Will you be going into Kirkwall?"

"Of course, you supply a store there?"

"I do, I've just finished putting their order together, would it be cheeky of me to ask that you deliver it?"

"Not at all, I'd be delighted."

"Would your visit change any of our existing trading relationship, with yourself or with Kirkwall Fashions?"

"No, but we might be able to discuss some better terms."

"That would be useful but Sarah's not back in town before the weekend."

"I tried her mobile earlier but it was off."

"It would be, I think she'll be available on Wednesday if you called her then?"

"I'll still be in the area, I'm making a day trip to Orkney tomorrow and I'm spending the next two nights in the Castletown Hotel, my sister says you are familiar with the place?"

"I take lunch in there regularly."

"Will you join me for dinner this evening?"

"Thank you, what time?"

"Six thirty?"

"Six thirty, I'll be there, thank you."

"Here's my card, please call if you can't make it."

Tammy retrieved her bag and handed over one of her own cards.

As Paula left Tammy noted it had just gone three. Any thoughts of closing extra early were dashed when someone came through the door, almost knocking the Lava Fashions CEO off her feet.

"Oh you again."

This was the same lady who had walked out on Saturday as she couldn't wait a minute.

"Good afternoon, how can I help you?"

"Are you the manager?"

"No, I'm the duty manager." Tammy did her best to remain pleasant, at least as entertainment for whoever was bugging the shop, as well as Hilary one floor above.

"Well, I'm told that my son prances around Thurso in frocks and therefore probably shops in here."

"I'm afraid I don't quite follow you."

"Are you saying that you've never seen boys in here in skirts and dresses?"

"Well, Mrs?"

"Younger, Mrs Younger."

"Well, Mrs Younger, I'm told that kilts are regarded as skirts in some quarters so I would have to agree I have seen some."

"What about my son?"

"Can you describe?"

"Rupert is five foot seven, thin, maybe malnourished, probably in a blonde wig."

"I not familiar with any Ruperts and that description doesn't fit anyone I know. I'm sorry Mrs Younger but I can't help you find your son, although if I see him is there a message you'd like me to pass on?"

"Yes, tell Rupert that his father and I have arranged for medical treatment if he'll just come home."

"Medical treatment?"

"He has some mental health issues."

"I see. I'll pass that on, Mrs Younger, if I see him. Now, is there anything else before I close?"

"Close? It's the middle of the afternoon."

"And unless you are going to buy something I will have had no customers for two hours."

The woman turned and left. Tammy took her chance to lock the door and kill the main shop lights. She decided it was too late to go to the bank, perhaps she could do it lunchtime tomorrow? She gathered her bag and coat, noting that the crate for Kirkwall was still on the storeroom floor.

Tammy made it out of the door safely and was in her car a minute later. She pulled away before she could ponder anything about her security. Unsurprisingly her phone rang.

"Hi Hilary, I guess you were listening in?"

"Yes, Tammy, I'm having trouble finding background on Paula Lavoska, if that's her name."

"She did look uncannily like Penny."

"I'll grant you that, but subjective opinions don't always justify jumping to conclusions."

"Okay, so what do you suggest I do?"

"Have dinner with her."

"Well, obviously."

"You'll have to write an encounter report."

"Maybe tomorrow, there will be wine with this meal."

"Limit yourself, do not breach security."

"I know the drill, as far as we're concerned she could be working hand in hand with Penny and the Gores."

"Yes. I'll do some more digging and I'll text you anything relevant."

"Okay."

Tammy was now out of town and a frost was forming so she concentrated on the roads, other calls could wait.

Once inside Tammy informed Zara that she was eating out. Pru passed on several messages, her father was in a meeting and David's funeral was on Friday; could she call Elsie?

Tammy first booked a cab for six fifteen then hit the shower. She called Elsie next.

"Ah, Tammy, did you get the message?"

"About the funeral, yes."

"Cathy confirmed the date this morning after she saw Kelly. I'll book an coach for all of us, it'll be the same place as George's cremation."

"Oh, that's in Inverness so I guess I won't be opening the shop."

"I'd forgotten you were doing that, but it can't be helped. The wake will be back here."

"Sarah would understand, given the circumstances."

"How's she doing?"

"I don't know, Elsie, I need to call her daughter."

"I'm sure she'll call you when she has some news."

"Of course, how's Cathy?"

"She's finding it difficult, but at least it's half term so she isn't in school every day. As I said, she saw her solicitor today, probate is proceeding and she's selling the house. David had bequeathed a few things to his sister but she's asking for the will to be varied, given the circumstances."

"That's understandable. I'm certain her solicitor can handle that efficiently without causing Cathy any more distress."

"I'm sure Miss Masters is caring, so far as a solicitor can be." Elsie laughed.

"Quite."

"Now, Tammy, have you heard the news from the school?"

"What news?"

"The school challenged the A level maths results during the summer and the examination board contacted Dr McIntosh this morning."

"Is that why Dad's there at the moment?"

"Yes, there's a few phone calls to be made."

"So what's the result?"

"It varies between students as each exam paper had to be marked again, but it seems to indicate a one grade improvement for most of the boys, and girls."

"When will I find out?"

"When your Dad gets home."

"Thank you Elsie, but it won't make a difference to me."

"Unfortunately, some students may have missed out on their chosen university place because of a single grade and they can't re-apply even with the regrading. Some may even have privately booked to retake the exam this autumn and will find that they won't get their money back if they decide it's unnecessary."

"So it's a mess?"

"In a word, yes. It's up to individual students if they want to sue the examination board but it won't get them anywhere. It might be useful to find out who the original marker was though."

"I'll leave that with you, Elsie, I have too much to worry about."

"What about Helen?"

"I had a bit of time this morning and I've found a four week residential art course that starts on the eighth of November."

"Sounds interesting, where is it?"

"Berwick."

"Can you let me have the details?"

"I'll email it over to you."

"Thanks Tammy."

She put the phone down and reached for the hair dryer, after trawling through her wardrobes. In the end she decided to wear a frock that hadn't been seen for a few months.

Floral dress

There was a knock on her door.

"Very nice, Zara informs me you're going out?" Joan was holding a small white envelope.

"One of Sarah's suppliers is in town, I've been asked to join her for dinner."

"I see, are you driving?"

"I've booked a taxi."

"You should have asked first, I'm sure your Dad would run you into town?"

"It sounds like he has enough to deal with, without being my chauffeur."

"Oh, I have something for you." She handed over the envelope, turned and left. Tammy opened it, guessing what was within and pleased that her mum hadn't said anything. During the summer, Joan had intercepted Tammy's A level results - much to Tammy's ire. That had created friction between them and Tammy had not completely forgiven Joan.

Maths exam slip

This justified Tammy's original cause for concern, as she'd been awarded a 'B' grade when she felt she deserved better. She wondered how John had done, seeing as he'd also been surprised when he received his results.

What was more important, right now, was her make-up for the evening.

It was approaching six when she made it downstairs, she caught Angela in the hallway.

"What grade did you get with your maths?"

"B".

"Didn't you get that first time?"

"Yes, it hasn't changed. Mum said that you were going out, who's taking you?"

"It's a business dinner and I have a taxi due in about twenty minutes, are you going to be free on Friday for the funeral?"

"I'll have to ask, do you think Cathy would mind if I couldn't make it?"

"Cathy would understand but your problem would be Elsie, she wants everyone there."

"Okay, I'll sort that out."

Realising that she had some time to spare, Tammy went back to her room to call Sarah's daughter, Emily.

"Hi, how did it go?"

"Mum went in to theatre at nine and was in recovery two hours later. She's sleeping right now."

"It sounds like it went well?"

"That's the impression I got, we'll know more tomorrow when the surgeon visits mum."

"Okay, I guess you don't know much else?"

"No, speak tomorrow?"

"Sure."

She sent a text to John telling him her new grade, and asking if he had heard? He responded a minute later, Tanya had brought his envelope home from school. That at least confirmed Tanya was still going to work. She reminded him about their keep fit the following night.

I'll check with Tanya

Just before she was going back downstairs, Hilary called.

"I'm not turning much up at the moment. Have a good evening, but I'm concerned you might be asked to turn your phone off."

"Is my Beccy phone still in the safe?"

"I presume so, why?"

"Can you take it across to the hotel and leave it with the bar staff for me to collect? Perhaps I dropped it by my car?"

"That might show that you're careless."

"Oh well."

"No, I need to monitor what's going on, we need an alternative and we don't have long?"

"I still have a spare bug in my bag, how about I activate it?"

"That might be picked up, what about the brooch?"

"The one with the camera? Sure, I'll find it."

There was a toot from outside.

"My taxi's here, got to dash."

Tammy hurriedly found the brooch in her jewellery box and pinned it on. Next was a suitable coat, she regretted not choosing it earlier. There was a shout from downstairs reminding her there was a taxi waiting.

"Coming!"

A minute later she was in the back of the cab, having checked the details with the driver. After catching the traffic lights on Traill St she arrived at the Castletown Hotel dead on half past six. Paula Lavoska was waiting in the bar. Tammy went to take off her coat but Paula stopped her.

"I hope you don't mind, but I've booked a table at Le Bistro?"

Tammy shrugged and followed her dinner companion out of the door, waving to Frances as she left. Two minutes later they walked into the French-style restaurant and were escorted to a table at the back, well away from the door. Someone was already sat there.

"Tammy, you remember my sister."

up
397 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

said it before

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I said it before; exactly how many times must the name be invoked for the demon to be conjured?
as to other things, I think I know who the MIA offspring of the disgruntled customer is. I suspect being disgruntled is a mild assessment in regards to said individual and the aforementioned offspring has good cause to go 'over the wall'. What's next for us Shiraz?

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Agreed!

Mind reader as well as a talented writer? You have the same suspicions I have! Lol!

Nothing involving Tammy is a coincidence especially when it's involving the service and their suspicions.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

the rule goes

Alecia Snowfall's picture

the rule goes like this:
once - happenstance
twice - suspicious
three times - HOSTILE action

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

change of venue

sounds dangerous to me, I hope the brooch is working ok, having seen the state of many a gals jewellrey box I would imagine it was all tangled up with chains etc and probably with a flat battery!

Flat battery

WillowD's picture

That is my first thought as well.

mental health problems, huh?

I bet they want to send him to some quack who does repairative therapy

DogSig.png

So Is the Sister Penny...

...or someone else? I think the natural assumption up to then was that Paula and Penny were the same person, concealing her identity, since Hilary hadn't found any trace of a sister.

Eric

I Knew It!

joannebarbarella's picture

Nothing that happens to Tammy can be innocent. She's all bugged up (hopefully!) so Hilary should be able to leap to her aid in case of need.

Double your pleasure

Jamie Lee's picture

Tanya's sympathy whining is no longer working with Sandy and Tammy. Instead they are being firm with her, what may seem cruel to Tanya. But forcing her to do what she should by not giving in to the whining.

Visiting distributors is a plausible ruse for the supposed sister of Penny. But what the real reason? And why has Penny suddenly returned from oblivion when no one in Dave's group could locate her location? Is Tammy walking into trouble? Does Hilary know which restaurant she's at? Is backup ready if needed?

Others have feelings too.