Anchored - Part 3 "Birthday Girl"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Three

 

"Birthday Girl"

 

 
Tuesday 1st September
 

"Before we start, Miss Smart, are you pregnant or do you believe you could be pregnant?"

"Absolutely not, Doctor."

"Okay, Nurse, please help Miss Smart into the chair."

Tammy was in a hospital gown in the gynaecology unit at the Dunbar Hospital in Thurso. With her were Dr McDonald and a nurse. She wasn't comfortable but equally didn't want either of her sisters present.

The nurse helped Tammy into position and put her feet against the stirrups.

"Is this your first time in the chair, dear?"

"Yes, last time I was on a bed."

"It does get easier, how old are you?"

"Nineteen, today."

"Oh, happy birthday."

Tammy was anything but happy and she definitely wasn't comfortable; the Doctor was pulling on gloves whilst the nurse prepared a tray of tools.

"Are you sexually active?"

"Ummm."

"Anything you say in here is in confidence."

"Okay."

"So, are you sexually active?"

"Yes."

He used his hands to take a look at her neo-vagina, but wasn't going deep. She looked at the nurse for reassurance and received a nod in response.

"When was your last period?"

Tammy wasn't prepared for the question, hadn't either the Doctor or the nurse seen that she was transgendered? Had someone in London changed this medical record, as well as that of her alias? Which was the worst outcome here? She played safe, or at least took the least worse option.

"Two weeks ago."

"Your GP made the referral, do you know why you're here?"

"I had some, err, minor surgery five weeks ago, so this is supposed to be a post-operative check up, there's another problem too."

"Your records made reference to surgery but there seems to be some data missing, where was the surgery done?"

"Ummm, Glasgow Royal Infirmary on the twenty-fourth of July." Her surgery had actually been in Plymouth but hadn't she been told to say Glasgow? It was becoming difficult to remember what the official version of her life was.

"I'll ask for the report, was it private or NHS?"

"Private."

"That would explain why the records are inaccurate." He reached for a grotesque metallic device but Tammy lost sight of it almost straight away.

"Owww."

"Sorry it's cold, I guess you weren't expecting that?" It wasn't said with any sympathy in mind, he spent a minute or so looking, Tammy was quite uncomfortable and squirmed despite repeated requests to keep still. He finally stopped and put the device down.

"Well, I can't do any more unless you can keep still. this isn't your first internal exam?"

"I've not had many."

"Well, apart from some minor scar tissue I can't see any particular issue resulting from surgery, not that it's clear what surgery was done. "

"I suppose you could call it cosmetic." It was anything but cosmetic, not that Tammy was prepared to say.

"So, probably elective designer work? Never mind, what was the other problem?"

"I have to wear a liner all the time because of a discharge, I don't know what it is."

"All the time?"

"Yes."

"I have the lab results, it seems several samples have been taken. In short, young lady, the secretions are perfectly normal but perhaps a little more active than most girls your age."

"Oh, so I'm stuck with it?"

"Bad choice of words, Miss Smart."

"Sorry, there's nothing you can do?"

"No, and it would be silly to make any changes that could affect your ability to enjoy intercourse or deliver a baby."

"I suppose so." Who did she need to talk to?

"If there's nothing else?"

"No, Doctor."

"Nurse, could you assist?"

Tammy was cleaned and then eased down, she dashed behind the screen and hurriedly dressed. The Doctor had finished writing his notes. Tammy decided that her appointment had been a waste of time, for both of them.

"Do I need to see you again?"

"Not unless anything changes, please talk to your GP first."

"Yes Doctor, thank you."

Tammy was relieved to get out of there, she went in search of the hospital shop, and Yusuf. She was fairly certain he and Angela had spent time together the previous day as her sister hadn't made it over to Elsie's; on their return they'd found Angela dressed and happy.

"Oh, hi Tammy."

"Hi Yusuf, can I have a word?" He looked around, there was no-one in the area.

"About Saturday?"

"Yes, it's just that I don't want my sister hurt, but she allowed her hormones to get the better of her and I suspect you were swept up as well?"

"Ummm."

"Okay, just take care of her." It wasn't intended as a threat, not quite.

"Sure."

"Now, are you going to be at the auditions?"

"When?"

"Saturday."

"I think so."

"Great, I'll see you there."

She walked around to the crèche however the door was locked. Tammy could see Angela through the glass panel, interacting with the children, but decided not to interrupt so turned and left.

She slid into her car and docked her phone.

"Yes, Tammy?"

"Are you in the office?"

"For the next hour, yes."

"Thanks Hilary, I'll be there shortly."

Next stop was the bakery, there was one person ahead of Tammy and Debbie Smith was serving. Finally she reached the counter and first ordered a tuna roll.

"I understand it's your birthday?"

"Yes."

"Well happy birthday, what else can I get you?"

"Some advice?"

"Oh."

"What game is your sister playing at?"

"Tanya's scared of you."

"What? I'm hardly a threat to her?"

"I beg to differ."

"Well, I'm flattered, but what's she up to?"

"She's testing you."

"By seeing if John is interested in me?"

"Yes."

"That's just weird."

"Not really, he doesn't see you the same way as he used to and that's confused him. Tanya's playing on that confusion."

"So she's badly insecure?"

"Yes."

"That doesn't sound too good for their relationship?"

"Well, she's definitely the one in trousers."

"John won't take that for too long."

"Maybe not, but the pair need each-other, I understand you had something to do with that?"

"Oh no, the school made that rule, the cottage is not available to Tanya alone. David was probing Suzie for info, more of the same?"

"Yes, what are you going to do, Tammy?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"No, nothing, yet."

Other customers came in so Tammy left, walking around to the office of Caithness Maritime.

"Coffee, Tammy?"

"Please, I brought cakes."

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks Hilary, I need to use the secure phone."

"Okay."

"The one in your office."

"Fine, I'll be out here, guarding the kettle."

"Thanks."

Tammy shut the door and looked for the correct speed dial."

"Hi Hilary."

"Hi Jenny, it's not Hilary, it's Tammy."

"Oh, happy birthday, what can I do for you?"

"It's about my medical records."

"Which set?"

"My real name, someone's fixed them to say I'm a natural female, it was a bit awkward during a gyno exam this morning. If he'd have looked any deeper, literally, he'd have seen I wasn't born this way. I think I pissed him off by jiggling around too much."

"Oh, I wish I'd known, we'd have arranged for a doctor who was cleared."

"In the Highlands? Someone's been tinkering and it could get me into trouble, what happens when I'm called for a smear? Or when a blood test reveals I have XY chromosomes not XX?"

"I see."

"I don't mind the Beccy identity saying that I'm as nature intended, but I think my own records should be accurate?"

"Sure, I'll investigate."

"Thanks Jenny."

"Who else have you raised this with?"

"No-one."

"Good, keep it that way."

"Sure."

Tammy signed off and went in search of her caffeine and cake.

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"I think so, but if I have a few glasses of wine tonight I won't be driving in the morning."

"I see, how about Thursday?"

"That'll be fine, what's up?"

"I'd like you to take the ferry to Stromness for the day."

"Oh, why?"

"To get the lay of the land, it's useful knowing where you're going if you had to do an oppo there."

"Okay, which ferry?"

"The Northlink 0845 service from Scrabster, returning on the 1645. It's the off peak timetable now so there's only two sailings a day each way unfortunately."

"Won't there be a problem at Scrabster?"

"The harbour master has retired for personal reasons and there's been a culling of his family in the port. Take Suzie with you, she's around for a few more days?"

"Yes."

"I'll book the pair of you and your car for those sailings. Have a day out and enjoy yourselves, okay?"

"Yes, boss."

"While you're here, I have the results of the background checks on Zara Fergusson, she's clean but her step-father isn't."

"There's no love lost, it would seem."

"I suspected the same. Her step-father is under investigation for fraud."

"Figures, I spoke to him."

"I read your report, it was sensible submitting one."

"I just had a feeling about him."

"Well, it looks like the High Court will be winding up his business in the next few weeks. Zara only started working for him in July so she's not going to be tarnished."

"You wouldn't clear her if there was a risk?"

"Of course not. When's her interview?"

"Thursday, oh, I'll be in Orkney."

"Isn't your dad interviewing her?"

"Yes, but I expected to be there."

"Perhaps it's better if you're not?"

"I suppose so. Have you been briefed about Martin Gore?"

"Yes, I'd like to speak with you next week about him, once I've made some more checks."

"Okay."

Tammy was more concerned than she was prepared to show, Martin Gore worked at the University that Tammy was due to attend. He was suspected of money laundering and was Bulgarian in origin. Beyond that his circumstances became very complicated.

She finished her coffee, her slice of toffee and walnut cake had already gone. She was about to leave when the secure phone rang, Hilary answered it but called Tammy back.

"Hi Tammy, Jenny, it seems there's been a mistake."

"I gathered that, is it being fixed?"

"There's a new problem."

"And?"

"Someone had been running checks on you and your NHS record is now locked by the NHS Fraud Investigation Team, nothing can be done until their investigation is over."

"Great, what does that mean?"

"Potentially, any of the medical practitioners who have dealt with you recently will be interviewed and any local records will be checked against the national database."

"What can I do?"

"Do nothing, we'll handle it. I need Suzie back though, she's best suited to look after our end of things."

"You'd best call her, she's at home and Pru's in the office."

"Understood. Try to avoid any medical interactions for a while."

"Difficult if you've just had major surgery. I'm seeing my GP next week, she's bound to say something."

"Okay, proceed as normal, does she know your true status?"

"Yes, but she'll soon notice if the records say something different."

Jenny agreed then finished the call. Tammy's mobile rang, it was Elsie's daughter, Cathy Stewart.

"Hi Cathy."

"Hi, sorry I wasn't at the wedding but it's been difficult."

"Oh."

"Look, where are you? Your PA said you were at an appointment."

"I'm near Sarah's shop."

"Can I see you in the Castletown Hotel?"

"Give me five."

"Thanks, you're a dear."

Tammy made her way out of the building, it was approaching lunchtime but she'd made no arrangements. Her parents were due back later but she wasn't relying on it. She found Cathy in a corner, Tammy instantly knew something was wrong.

"What is it?"

"I've left David."

"You were only married last November."

"Yes, but things changed." Cathy was on the point of bursting into tears, Tammy changed seats so she was sat next to her friend and took Cathy's hand.

"If there's anything I can do?"

"I need to speak to mum."

"She's on a flight to Singapore."

"Damn."

"Why didn't you ring the house?"

"I heard there was a problem with the staff, I didn't want any of them to give me the run around."

"The staff problem was at our's not your mum's. Do you have anywhere to stay?"

"I can stay at mum's but I can't get there, David has my car and he doesn't know I've gone, not yet. I got the train this far." There was a large suitcase against the wall that Tammy hadn't spotted previously."

"My car's around the corner so I'll take you."

"Thanks Tammy, I really didn't know who to trust."

"Why?"

"It's Yvonne, she's got at David and she's got at all my so-called friends."

"How do you know she didn't get to me?"

"Because I have it on good authority that she hates you."

"Thanks Cathy, that was the correct answer!"

They laughed, possibly the first time that day Elsie's daughter had laughed.

"What's your plan?"

"To find somewhere to sleep and then to speak to a solicitor."

"Do you have a solicitor in mind?"

"No, but I guess you have a suggestion?"

"I do, but let's get out of here first."

The hotel manager, Frances, had been loitering but knew not to interfere. When the girls rose to leave, however, he called one of the staff and asked that they took Cathy Stewart's case to Tammy's car.

Once in her car, Tammy hit speed-dial.

"Thomas, this is Tammy."

"Yes, Miss Smart."

"I have Miss Cathy with me and she needs a room for tonight and possibly the rest of the week."

"Very good, when can we expect you?"

"Fifteen minutes."

Tammy killed the call.

"I wouldn't have spoken to Thomas like that!"

"Sorry Cath, but it's a 'needs must' situation. Now, who's next?" She called up another number.

"Miss Smart, how can I help you?"

"One of my dear friends, and Mrs McPherson's daughter, needs legal advice concerning divorce."

"I see, we don't normally do matrimonial cases but I can recommend Miss Kelly Masters."

"Ah, she handled Mrs Small's case."

"Indeed."

"Thank you Jeremiah."

"My pleasure."

As soon as Thomas found that Cathy hadn't had any lunch, nor breakfast it seemed, the cook was instructed to provide a meal. Tammy, naturally, was asked to stay. Thomas obtained the solicitor's number and left it in the study for Cathy.

"I haven't seen you for months, I've been so busy and then David decided you were a bad influence."

"Me? I've only just left school."

"That's what I told him but he seems to think you're involved in some funny business!"

"If you add up the attempts on my life, kidnap attempts, threats and general nastiness then yes, I suppose I have been in some funny business."

"Oh, that bad?"

"Yes, you remember my mother?"

Tammy briefly explained all the trouble her mother, Tara, had caused.

"The bitch, I never realised."

"I think she's finally realised that she brought trouble to me."

"A bit late in the day. What have you been up to today?"

"I had a gyno exam this morning."

"Gyno? But ..."

"I've been fixed and the dopey quack didn't notice."

"Whoa, you've had the surgery?"

"In the summer, nearly six weeks ago."

"How did you manage that?"

"Friends in the right places and a very nice shrink."

"Any boyfriend on the scene?"

"Not here but I did have a summer fling."

"Tell me more!"

"No, sorry."

"Okay Tammy, I have some phone calls to make, what's the plan for later?"

"It's my birthday, what do you suggest?"

up
395 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a bit sharp!

Thomas has always treated Tammy well, she needs to apologise for her telephone call! I love the girly conferences on relationships and gyno matters, what a dopey Doctor, surley the lack of a cervix would have been obvious, although I do recall the real life story of a TS girl who was subjected to a rigorous curretage because he didnt know!

My gp had been treating me

My gp had been treating me for 5 years.
Had no idea I was 15 years post op.

Ring-Ring

What was wrong with the phone call? Seemed like a perfectly straight forward call to me.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

That was a bit of fun.

I was looking at the houses up in Stromness, and none of them seem to have any sort of rain awnings. Is that due to strong winds? It must piss down at times there.

I would guess that her discharge is normal. In my SRS, the Vas Deferens was routed to the posterior of the Neo Vagina to facilitate keeping it moist. Mine works fine.

Nice epi

Gwen

WOW!!!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

WOW!!! Looks like some of Tammy's crisis training is paying off. She's starting to move and groove! Sounds like David needs a swift kick in the fore-point of contact though. You know, to jog his memory.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Thank you Shiraz,

Tammy,as always ,is not letting the grass grow under her feet ,but Tanya's insecurity remains a problem
and the worry of Cathy will not go away ,one would assume .But then again,we should never assume anything
with Shiraz :).

ALISON

being asked about periods

that happened to me. A doctor who didn't know my history asked me how my periods were

DogSig.png

It seems as though the enemies of Tammy just never go away

Yvonne just keeps on making trouble for anyone and everyone our heroine has ever come in contact with. Tanya better lose the jealous bone or she's going to lose a fiancé and a best friend.

If Tanya keeps at it

she will loose John. Last I heard Yvonne was in legal hot water. Why is she back?

The sad part is Tammy can't sue for slander because it would bring attention to herself.

No Party Yet

joannebarbarella's picture

Busy, busy, busy and so far not even a smell of a party! Maybe there's a surprise organised?

Bell the cat

Jamie Lee's picture

Now why is Tammy's medical file under investigation? Who started it or put the bug in whose ear? With so many gunning for Tammy, the field is wide open. But whoa unto the person who started it and the fools who participated.

Is David that thick that he doesn't know what a pig Yvonne happens to be? That it was her and Fiona who tried to kidnap Tammy? That Yvonne has her butt so far in the fire that the end is already roasted? That woman could poison poison.

Vicious dogs are muzzled, rabid dogs are put down. Maybe Yvonne needs muzzled and put down.

Others have feelings too.

Investigation

Likely sloppy work by someone in Intelligence at editing her medical history. Normally, such a mistake would be due to incompetence, but in Tammy's case, maybe not. Alternatively, someone forgot to revoke Jill's access to Tammy's medical records...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!