Project: Night Bird Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

“I thought you said your brother was an LAPD police officer?” Jessica couldn’t believe the estate they were pulling into.

“He is, but his wife is the second child of a famous actor. Her father gave them his home in Beverly Hills as a wedding gift.” Katey saw that her brother was home as they pulled up behind his SUV.

Jessica parks her Land Rover behind a black Ford SUV. Just as she turns the engine off, two children come running out of the house towards the Land Rover.

“Auntie Katey! Aunt Katey!” Two young kids run up to Katey as she gets out.

Katey looks at her niece and nephew. They had gotten bigger since she visited them around Thanksgiving. She and Jessica had visited her cousin out in Texas and met his new adopted daughters for Christmas.

Katey hugs her niece and nephew. She loved them very much.

“Katey, I have someone new for you to meet.” Vicky comes walking over with a bundle in her hand.

“You had another baby and didn’t tell me?” Katey liked to be informed about her brother and his wife kids.

“She’s not from me. Paul found her abandoned in a dumpster near his favorite book store. He brought her to me at the hospital. He and members of his SWAT team went looking for her mother and found her. Her mother was alive, very weak when they found her. She died on the way to the hospital. So, we adopted her.” Vicky looks down into the face of her adopted daughter.

Jessica had given hugs to Katie’s niece and nephew. She didn’t have any siblings, because she was an only child. She had cousins and enjoyed spending time with them.

They head inside the house with her niece holding Katey’s hand and the other one holding Jessica’s.

Katey looks down at her niece “have you been doing good in school?”

“I passed to the fourth grade.” Ashley was proud she passed from third grade to fourth grade.

“How about your twin? Did he pass as well?” Katey wonders if Paul Jr. had passed as well.

“He passed, as well.”

A smile appears on her face as she walks inside the house with her niece. The twins took after their mother in looks. Paul Jr. and Ashley both had their mother’s dark brown hair and hazel eyes. Ashley was born eight seconds before her brother.

Katey spots her brother waiting for her when they arrive in the living room. She noticed his arm was in a sling and his face was black and blue.

“What happened to you?” Katey knew it was hard to bring her older brother down.

He had years of Martial arts training under his belt and special forces training as well. That’s not adding in his boxing skills and strength. He normally competed in the Ironman Triathlon.

“I and my partner got jumped by some gang members on our day off. They jumped us as we went to look into the sounds of a woman crying out for help. There were at least six of them and were armed with metal pipes. I sent two of our attackers to the hospital and my partner Officer Vale killed one of his attackers. The other three were arrested when a patrol car responded to my signal.” Paul was hurting and had just taken a pain pill when his sister showed up.

Jessica was holding the baby in her arms “what did you name her?”

“We named her, Kennedy. I know it sounds weird naming a baby girl Kennedy, but she’s named after one of Paul’s military friend. He died of cancer two weeks before Paul found our little bundle of joy.” Vicky loved her new daughter.

“What do you know about her mother?” Jessica wonders why her mother abandons her.

“She was a prostitute and had already had two other babies before her. They had been taken away from her and placed in a foster home.” Vicky had Paul check the mother out, just in case the girl’s parents wanted the child.

“Well, this little girl is going to be spoiled by you guys and Katey.”

Vicky shows Jessica and Katey to the spare bedroom she had set up for them. The kids were entertaining their father.

“I forgot how much your niece and nephew love you.” Jessica was watching Katey as she put their clothes in the dresser draws.

“I love them as well. I couldn’t believe my brother and his wife waited so long to have children.” Katey figured they would have kids a few years after they got married.

“Why did they wait so long?” Jessica was curious.

“Paul wanted to wait until he gained some rank. Also, Vicky was a medic in the army as well. She was bounced around from one unit to another unit. She wanted to gain a few ranks as well.” Katey takes her hairbrush out and brushes her hair.

“So, how much older is your brother?” Jessica was sitting on the bed watching Katey.

“My sister Carol is the oldest, My brother Paul is the next oldest, my brother Arron is the next and I’m the youngest. There’s a two year age gap between me and my youngest brother. I’m 28, my next oldest brother is 30, My older brother is 38 and my sister is 40.” Katey hopes she
remembered right. Her brother was retired from the military. She spent ten years in the military before she was forced to retire. She joined a few months after having her surgery.

Jessica and Katey go and spend time with the kids. Jessica plays a video game with Paul Jr. and Katey plays dolls with Ashley. Vicky had put Kennedy back in her crib for an afternoon nap.

“She looks so sweet.” Katey had followed her sister-in-law into the nursery.

“They are, but you get woken up at all hours of the night and morning. Kennedy has been better than the twins when they were her age. She lets me and Paul sleep.”

“That is good. I remember when the twins were born and I came out here to help you and your mother with them. I was woken up every time they cried.” Katey was glad when she went back home to peace and quiet.

“So, have you and Jessica talked about getting married and having kids?” Vicky had been wondering about that.

“Not yet, Jessica is still adjusting to being a lesbian and finding herself.” Katie didn’t want to ask Jessica yet about kids and such.
Jessica was enjoying playing with the kids. They had stopped playing video games and now we're playing a board game.

“Who’s winning?” Katey saw that Jessica, Ashley and Paul Jr. were playing monopoly.

“Paul, he’s ahead of me and Ashley.” Jessica was enjoying playing the game with the kids.

Katey helps her sister-in-law fix dinner. Normally, her brother would, but he was passed out on the sofa from the pain medicine.

“How bad are Paul’s wounds?”

“He’s got several fracture ribs, a broken arm, broken nose, and he had a concussion. However, he is passed that, thank god. You see how bruised and swollen his face is. His chest and back are one big bruised from the gang members beating him repeatedly.”

“I’m surprised they got the jump on Paul. He’s a very hard person to ambush. When we were kids, I could never surprise him. He always knew what I was going to do before I did.” Katey sometimes thought her brother was psychic.

Then she learned, that he has a natural talent to see anticipate what a person is going to do. He is good at reading a situation and person and predicting their moves.

“I’m with you. He must have had other things on his mind, that day.” Vicky knew her husband.

“It’s possible.” Katey finishes the task her sister-in-law gave her.

While the food was simmering, Katey checks on Jessica.

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Most excellent...

chapter. I like the pace this story is taking. Having been an Officer of the Law for around 20 years, until disabled in L.O.D. I can well remember fighting gangs of armed opponents and always being very fortunate to come out of it on my feet, even if with cuts and bruises. You have a real talent for making your story relatable. ^_^ T.

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

For Paul

Samantha Heart's picture

To get jumped like he did, he REALLY must have had an off day. I'm glad everything is ok though & Katie is enjoying her visit with her family.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.