Project: Night Bird Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

Night Bird Hangar:
Sarah watches as Lucy examines the damage done to Night Bird. Chief Jordan and Lucy went over every system, checking and double-checking them. Lucy’s assessment was correct that it had been a microwave-based weapon that had played havoc with the systems.

“Where did these guys get this type of weapon?” Chief Jordan looks at Lucy for an answer to his question.

“Beats me.” Lucy looks at the damage done to another module.

So, far she and Chief Jordan have pulled six damage modules from the helicopter. Lucy does wonder where her supposed husband and Ted got the weapons. She digs deeper in the helicopter and trace down all the damaged modules and replace them with new ones.

It’s eleven in the evening when she and chief Jordan finally call it a night. Night Bird was almost fixed. They still had six more modules that needed to be replaced. However, in a pinch, Night Bird could be used.

Sarah couldn’t believe how long chief Jordan and Lucy worked. She stood nearby, out of the way, and kept her eyes on Lucy. By the time chief Jordan and Lucy decided to call it a night, she was relieved.

As Sarah escorts Lucy back to the car they came in “so, is there a way to prevent the helicopter from being affected by those types of weapons?”

“Not, that I’m aware of. Even the EMP shielding the helicopter has won’t protect it. However, there might be a way to counter it. Who’s the chief engineer of the helicopter?” Lucy looks towards Sarah.

“That would be Mrs. Samantha Blake. She’s in charge of special projects and development.” Sarah met Mrs. Blake at the Mountain complex when she was hired and given a tour of the place.

“Thanks for the information.”

Sarah pulls up to the building they were using as quarters. She escorts Lucy pass the guards and into the building.

“Well, here we are. I’ll be by tomorrow to escort you to Mr. Webber’s office.”

“What time?” Lucy looks at Sarah.

“Since, we have gotten in so late, how about nine?” Sarah covers up a yawn.

“Sounds good. It will give my arm a chance to charge up.” Lucy has been pushing her cybernetic arm lately.

“Didn’t they give you the batteries back?” Sarah was curious about that.

“Yes, but they only last for so long, depending on what I am doing.” Lucy still misses her real arm.

“Maybe Mrs. Blake's mother can design you a new arm.”

“Maybe.” Lucy wonders how smart Mrs. Blake was or if she has the people that do that type of work.

“Well, see you in the morning.” Sarah turns around to head to the quarters assigned to her.

Lucy starts getting ready for bed. Since she didn’t have her own shower. She changes out of her clothes and grabs her robe. She heads down to the communal showers.

When Lucy walks into the showers, she spots Cora standing under one with her eyes closed. She notices the scars on Cora’s youthful-looking body. The scarring on Cora’s body looks like it had been done by knives and such. She also noticed the choker that went around Cora’s neck as well. It had the shape of a fox in the middle of it.

“It's okay. It happened several months ago.” Cora had felt the presence of another person in the shower room. She had opened one of her eyes slightly, to see who it was.

“Sorry for staring, Cora.” Lucy walks over and takes the shower stall next to Cora.

“It’s okay. The spirits felt I needed to be reminded of the bargain I made with them for saving my life.” Cora remembered the night she accepted to be their vessel and do whatever they needed her to do.

“You talk like the Native American spirits are real.” Lucy never believed in things like spirits and such.

“They are and they saved my life. They also saved your life as well. How else do you think I found you?” Cora had opened both her eyes and was looking at Lucy.

Lucy notices Cora’s eyes as she looked at her. She has seen Cora’s eyes before, but what was staring back at her weren’t human eyes. They were Fox's eyes staring at her.

Lucy backs away from Cora. She didn’t know what to make of Cora looking at her with those eyes. She watches as Cora's eyes change back to her normal ones.

“Why did you do that?” Lucy was unnerved now.

“Just to prove a point.” A sly smile appears on her face.

“Well, you made your point.” Lucy was still a little startled from it.

“Lucy, I’ve been wondering about something. Did you want to be a woman?” Cora was looking at Lucy’s body and how nice it looked.

“No! This is something I didn’t ask for. The only thing I agreed to, was giving me a new arm. Being turned into his wife wasn’t part of the plan. Nor, was adding weapons and rebuilding attack helicopters for him either.”

Cora listens to what Lucy was telling her. So, far she wasn’t picking up a lie or anything.

“Well, if you need help adjusting or have any questions. Feel free to ask me.” Cora grabs her robe and slippers.

“Thanks.” Lucy watches as Cora walks away.

She finishes her shower and heads back to her quarters. Once Lucy is in her quarters, she slips on the nightshirt one of the employees had gotten for her. Once she was ready for bed, she lays down and slowly fall asleep.

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Re-reading

WillowD's picture

I may just reread Project: Nightbird and Project: Stingray sometime soon. I like both of these stories.

Thanks for the chapter.

I don't know

Samantha Heart's picture

How to protect Noght Bird from microwave attack excrpt lead sheilding or something. Lucy might be able to figure something out.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.