A personal history of Mutation, or how I spent my teen years. Chapter 22.

Printer-friendly version

School sucked. It sucked with a vengeance; why was it so boring? Why were the books so dry, the material so uninteresting? How was math so easy?

It was even worse when the jet was finally ready for human testing and I was stuck here. Dad hadn't caved yet on the grounding, but he would. The trick was to ask him while mom was away and show off all the safety features.

The next project would be even more cool.

No, focus. Bad Min!

The classes swam together a bit as I handed in my homework, but otherwise I tried to ignore the teachers. They didn't ask me surprise questions anymore, not since the tenth time I answered one perfectly. Instead, they ignored me back, and that was best for everyone. Gym was the one difference; the school wanted me to try some low impact stuff for exercise, and they were working on it. So far, that was yoga from Coach Howard's sister.

I was still trying to get Ralph to join in, but he wouldn't.

Lunch came along and Ricky broke a trail outside for me. Lately, Jeeves had been trading off the lunch menu with Jeanette, and yesterday had been vegetable tortellini. Which meant today would be something normal.

The blanket was spread under our tree, and pillows were spread out on it, and in the center was the customary silver service. Jeeves was next to it, and when he saw us coming he bowed.

I settled in; Sam coming from nowhere to claim the spot next to me. Ricky glared at her for a moment, then started for my other side... just in time to be denied by Jeanette. She sat gracefully and smoothed her dress. Ricky plunked down where he was with a sigh while I adjusted a pillow.

Sometimes I wondered if I was being too pampered. Nah.

Jeeves took the cover off the platter to reveal... an absolutely huge bacon cheeseburger with all the stuff anyone could want on it, and actual fried fries. The burger was even on a bun! A bun with those little seeds!

The entire plate was dripping with oil and grease and unhealthiness and it looked fantastic. I wasted no time.

I turned to find Sam too close and drooling, her own lunch forgotten. She grinned and stole a fry.

i wanted to speak up, to yell... but I knew that would open the flood gates.

Jeeves grinned back at Sam, and pulled another platter lid off to reveal... more fries, all cooked the same way as mine. There had to be an entire bag of fries there. No, several, because some of the fries were different; they had the thin ones that I liked, steak fries, and the crinkly ones.

Sam held a fist out, and Jeeves bumped it. Then the feeding frenzy began. There was no chatting, no pleasant conversation, and I was just as guilty as my friends because I was ravenous for some reason.

That changed in a hurry. I knew inside a minute that I wouldn't be able to finish the burger; it was just too big. I still gave it my best shot.

The fries I finished of course, those were easy. I signaled the end of the fun.

"Thanks Jeeves."

"You are welcome, mistress Min."

My friends were attacking their own lunches with far less gust than I had; the plate of fries was long since gone. We could talk again.

I leaned back against the tree, waiting for it. If it wasn't asked today I'd lose the bet....

I was bailed out. "So Min, what are you working on now?"

The same thing I was working on yesterday, Ricky. "Still the jet. It is ready though."

Sam's eyes brightened.

"No, I can't let you fly it yet. You don't know how." Also none of my friends could regenerate if they crashed, while I could.

Sam drooped. Ricky also drooped. What did they think this was, a joke? They could actually die.

"So you're saying you can fly it now?" Maggie asked.

I should. "Well, in theory. I know how all the controls work, and I know how slow I can go before it stalls or how fast I can go before I possibly blow the engine. I know how to use the air brakes if I need to."

Ralph popped a mini-tomato in his mouth. He'd packed those? What else was he hiding?

"Seems fair. How long are you planning to be up, and how far are you planning to go?"

"A few miles, and maybe fifteen minutes. Just long enough to prove that it works, really." I wasn't Top Gun after all, I just wanted to prove a point. Going up a mile or two into the air was just a bonus, really.

I wanted nothing more than to be able to slow down and open the cockpit, and just enjoy the air. Even knowing I couldn't, I wanted to so badly.

"Well, we can come, right?"

I turned to face Ricky. "Well, assuming Dad says yes at all, sure. We will be moving it out of town though."

"Where?" Sam threw her question in, taking a tiny bite of a sandwich that really looked... awful, compared to what I had. I didn't want to call her out on that.

"Jeeves says there is a place outside of town that should work. A level field near the old junk yard. He showed me a picture."

I had left the location scouting to him, but it was kind of mystery how he found the place so quickly. It was almost as if he'd been taking walks in his spare time or something. Even Crash had signed off on the place yesterday, and Crash knew his piloting. I vaguely remembered the field in question, I think. I might have flown kites there once, as a kid.

"Oh, that place. I hate that junkyard, the dogs are all trained to attack and the guy running it has no sense of humor at all."

Leave it to Ricky to run a sense of humor check.

"My dad went there recently, to buy metal and parts for me. He seemed to have no problems. Even said they talked shop for a bit. So maybe its just kids."

"Well it might have been the m-80s I let off, too. Blowing up some old cars is harmless fun though, so its really their fault I think."

Oh Ricky, of course you're going to get nailed for that. Wait, when had he done this? I hadn't been with him. He'd left me out of the fun!

Ricky was no dummy. He knew what I was thinking. He jumped to his feet and took off with a hastily yelled "I'll go ahead!"

Sam snickered while Maggie blinked. "What was that about?"

I was going to answer when Ralph beat me to the punch. "Boy thing."

That implied they wouldn't understand, but surely girls liked blowing stuff up too? Whatever. "Its nothing, I guess. Ancient history."

I'd still like fireworks, right?

Sam gave me a look, like she knew what I was thinking. The first bell rang.

"Crap!" I grinned at the sight of maggie stuffing her last crumbs in her face, puffing her cheeks out before jumping up.

That was just silly, there was plenty of time. "Thanks Jeeves. Save the leftovers, I'll finish them off when I get home."

"As you command, Mistress Min." Jeeves said with a bow. Jeanette stepped forward and offered me a hand, which I took.

I was on my feet so fast I almost fell over, and never once did I feel like I had been pulled. How she did that, I don't know, but it was smooth; one minute I was sitting, back to the tree, the next I was up and wobbling.

Something to figure out later; we had plenty of time but not all the time in the world.

I started off and Jeanette fell into step. Maggie scrambled behind me. The other kids saw me and started moving out of the way, which was nice of them. It also wasn't something that happened normally if I didn't have someone making a path for me.

I turned to Jeanette in suspicion, but her response was merely to raise an eyebrow; otherwise her face was calm. Too calm.

Whatever; I shrugged and started off again, Jeanette following behind and Sam and Maggie following behind her. We made a weird procession, but at least we didn't clog the hallways like some people, all spread out.

Speak of the devil, there go Flash and Monty, with most of the basketball team in tow.

Didn't matter; these kids had no chance at all of getting past Jeanette, even if they all ganged up. The cops probably didn't ether; they would need explosives. Cops weren't allowed to carry explosives, so I was safe.

Of course, the cops were probably stocking up, waitng for me to go all mad scientist. The joke would be on them!

"Um, Min... Why are you cackling?"

I stopped and turned to Maggie. "I've no idea what you mean. I just had a funny thought is all. I do not cackle."

Sam nodded gravely. "Cackled."

"I did not! I do not!" I pushed open the door to next class, and everyone went silent. With as much dignity as I could muster I strode to my seat. Jeanette placed my pack next to my seat and strode past to the back of the class, where she could help me if I needed it.

Conversation started up again as soon as I sat, since I wasn't the teacher. I returned a few friendly waves and opened my notebook.

I had my homework of course, and my class notes, but this notebook was neither. This notebook contained the blueprints of the next project, the Wing zero one, a personal power armor with two miniature ram jets and a set of wings that should allow it to fly.

My most complex project to date, it had the same computer assist to keep it balanced, wings that were folded back when not in use, muscle augmentation circuitry, and of course a very small cold fusion reactor powering the entire mess. The early simulations were promising, but I still needed to work on the air flow to the ram jets; too little and they wouldn't fire, too much and they would either liquefy the pilot with g-forces, or explode.

I didn't want the thing to go too fast at any rate, but I was running out of room. This wonder was going to be armed, just in case. Maybe a bit of magnetic field manipulation, to make the whole apparatus lighter?

I could feel my mind open up as the ideas came, and with it, I could feel the heat. I shut that all down with some effort and realized the teacher had come in and started the lesson for the day.

I snagged my other notebook out of my backpack with a sigh. I could recognize it now, but it was still so tempting to just let it go and do what I could do.

Jeanette was still in the back of the class, hands folded behind her; when I looked her way, she beamed the widest smile I had seen on her yet. Yeah, she knew.

I held it together, even as the idea of routing the air through the tips of the wings to the jets came to me; it would make them less sound structurally, as any sort of damage would likely cut the air to the jets; maybe back ups? instead of one large flow, several smaller ones?

No, I am a rock. I will sit here like a rock, and not think anything.I will do all this later, when I could afford to pass out.

Ralph smiled from the next desk over. He knew it too.

Finally, the bell rang. I waited as everyone left, then got up and reached for my bag. Jeanetta had already claimed it, and was dusting it off with a hand.

I gave her my notebooks and then we were off. This time my friends hadn't stuck around for me, but had gone on ahead.

The halls were just as busy as ever, and yet they still parted for me. Even people I barely knew took note and waved at me, and it was kind of embarrassing. Was that Julie? Her name was J-something.

I couldn't do much but wave back. There really wasn't that many names to remember in this school; was there something wrong with me?

Jeanette's hand brushed my arm, and I looked back into her reassuring smile. "All is well my lady," she whispered. "Her name is Julia, and she is simply forgetable."

I gave her a look. "Is that a word? Or did you make it up?" I knew the answer, but it was really odd for Jeanette to make up a word at all. That required some thought, context, and framing that my other artificial intelligences had. Now there was a chance that she could have heard it from one of us, but if she did it wasn't around me. I hoped it was legitimate, because if it was, it was a real breakthrough.

She was on my side regardless, and that was nice.

My study hall desk was surrounded, but the rest of the room was pretty deserted. I sat as Jeanette took her customary spot in the back. When I pulled out my homework, I could almost see the others in the hall lean forward. They would be disappointed today; I was going to make sure none of them saw an answer or stole my work.

So I did what any self-respecting mature person would do: I made a notebook fort to hide the goods.

The teacher in charge, a sub today, actually gave me a little smile before settling in with a book.

My fellow students shot me looks of betrayal that were easy to ignore.

My pen scratching the paper was rather relaxing, but I still found myself needing to take a breath and slow down; the urge to speed through my homework, to just write anything down so I could do what I wanted, was very strong.

I know that I didn't have this problem before I mutated. I was bad at focusing, but this was something else and much stronger. A sort of hyper focus on things that interested me. Maybe the difference from before was that nothing interested me? No that couldn't be right - I had been interested in sports.

And I had been forcibly removed from that interest by my stupid body.

It wasn't that different though, I was still interested in the things that I can do; it was just that what I could do that changed. So I wasn't really that different from before - At least I hoped not.

The bell rang, and I looked up from my perfectly reasonable self-reflection to find my homework almost done. Just another five minutes and I'd have been home free!

Oh well, I would simply do it tomorrow between classes. It was Math, and that wouldn't be as hard as the English was. One silver lining, or maybe one of many.

Speaking of, last class of the day. Jeanette grabbed my bag with a smile but without a word, and we made our way to the classroom. This time there was no cause to wait, so I joined the press early.

Despite all that, Ricky was waiting on me when I arrived. He gave me this expectant look.

"What?"

"Did you get your homework done?"

"Most of it. Everything but math."

Ricky's expectant look fell. "Dang."

"Forget it, you need to learn it yourself anyway," I told him. "If you don't you'll never get it right. But... after school I'll see about giving you some pointers if you want."

The relief was palpable. "Thank you so much, I'm kinda lost from question eleven on."

That was because he kept looking for cheats, but I didn't tell him that. I was hardly in the position to throw stones, after all. A quick glance back confirmed my cheat was still there, watching me as Mrs. Holmes began to drone about Stienbeck.

I tried to pay attention, but it was hard. I even liked Stienbeck, but it was hard to say why.
Which of course meant that was the assignment for the day. Well technically, it was to give points that you thought made his stories work as well as things that did not work, but given the enthusiasm of certain teachers present, it was probably just to get what we liked about Stienbeck.

The last bell rang. I'd know for sure by tomorrow, I guess.

Like always I put my notebooks and books in place and waited. The classroom was cleared, and Jeanette walked up, grabbing my pack. She was determined to be nice today, it seemed. Some days I had to carry the thing home.

As I clomped my way down the halls, my friends joined me. We passed the noisy halls in easy silence, waiting as each of us went to a locker for books or got a drink. I was the only exception to the rule since Jeanette had taken to carrying most of my stuff around with her. It was just easier that way.

We all spread out as soon as we were outside. I could only assume it was to enjoy the remaining sunlight, which was beginning to falter in strength as the sun began to dip. There were only a few hours of light left to get everything ready; I'd have to hurry.

I picked up the pace, and everyone matched me easily. They stayed silent, and I could see a few smirks out of the corner of my eyes.
Something was definitely up. I went to the front door, and my quiet friends headed towards the back.

Dad was waiting for me when I got home. It was his day off, and he had his tee shirt and slacks on, with his socked feet propped up in his lounger. He was watching a game show and his eyes were about half-closed.

He was alert though, I could tell. "Hey Dad."

"Hey kiddo. Welcome home." He opened his eyes, but otherwise didn't twitch.

"So um, I've got a favor to ask."

"Let me guess. You want to go somewhere, right?"

I nodded. "I want you to come with me too. I want to test the jet."

Dad sat up. "Its ready?"

"Yes, its finally ready."

Dad grinned. "You waited, didn't you?"

He knew me well. "Yeah. I didn't want to worry Mom."

Dad shook his head. "You don't give her enough credit. She's probably less worried than I am."

That... really? "Even so, you were more likely to let me do this."

He mulled that over a minute.

"Sure, let's do it. You have somewhere in mind?"

Yes! I avoided the fist pump with pure will. I don't think I fooled Dad for a second though. "The old field near the junkyard?"

"Well, that'll make it easier to toss if it fails. Can you get it on the trailer?"

Not cool, Dad. "Yeah I think we can manage. Jeeves and Crash are pretty strong."

"Okay, go load it up, I'll get some shoes on and get the truck ready."

The truck was an old jalopy, a refugee from the time of dinosaurs and bell bottom jeans. An old Ford, Dad used it mainly for hauling things like old appliances, scrap, and helping move friends. Otherwise it sat in the next door neighbor's garage. Old Gus didn't care, as long as Dad helped him from time to time.

"Okay!" I didn't waste time, instead opening the back door up to find... the trailer already loaded and my friends standing around it.

"Did you guys do that?" I yelled as I started across the walk.

"Heck no!" Ricky yelled back. "It was like that when we got here."

Jeeves and Crash had been busy it seemed. They had even loaded the portable diagnostic equipment in the cockpit, where it just barely fit.

At least Dad was getting the truck, which meant everyone would be able to come without a hike or bike.

"You guys should all back up. Dad's coming with the truck."

The cheer was almost deafening. Everyone backed off and ditched their books and bags.

A minute later, Dad came around back. I waved him into place and locked the hitch.

It was a bit harder than it should have been. At least attaching the lights was still easy enough. Dad and I checked the straps while my friends piled in the back. He gave me a look and rolled his eyes.

"So, what's next? Can you think of anything you need to do?"

Jeanette came to my rescue. "Both the fire department and the police have already been notified. The FAA has also been warned, and a small flight plan has been filed."

I turned back to Dad. "Was that what you had in mind?"

He nodded. "That was it, yes. Jeanette?"

"Yes sir?" Jeanette made it sound more like a statement than question, smoothing her dress in complete disinterest on the dirty bed of the old truck.

Wait a minute, where was Jeeves? Even crash was here, almost thrumming like a plucked guitar chord in his excitement.

"Where is Jeeves? Is he staying behind?"

Jeanette shook her head. "Jeeves was in charge of arrangements. No doubt he has gone ahead to survey and prepare the field in question."

Oh, that made sense, actually. There wasn't much time to waste if we wanted to do this in daylight. But still, had he walked there? The place was miles outside of town.

"Get in," Dad ordered, and I saw the only place left for me... was up front. All my friends had spread themselves out in a rather conspicuous way, taking up the entire truck bed. No one wanted to ride next to Dad it seemed. I couldn't admit I was one of those people either; the real party was going to be in the back, but I was stuck.

At least the seats in the truck were comfortable.

Dad got in and opened the back window. "You kids stay down and hold on back there; I'll try and avoid the potholes, but it is possible to bounce right out of the back."

"I shall see to their safety, so long as they take efforts of their own, Mr. Campbell." Jeanette assured him.

"Alright, I suppose that will work." Dad put the key in the ignition, and the radio started. I promptly turned it off.

Dad gave me the look, and turned it back on. The sounds of country music began to waft along the breeze as he carefully pulled out.

I just put my head in my hands and hoped no one else I knew would see us.

The day was nice, if a little chilly. I was the only one in a coat of course, and sometimes I'd even forgot I had the thing on. I had at least that much going for me... the coat was comfy enough that unless I snagged it on something, I didn't even think about it anymore.

Oh crap, what if I needed to bail out, and my coat got snagged on something? I had forgotten my flight suit!

My phone dinged. It was Jeanette, with the message: "Do not worry, we have all we need. Nothing has been forgotten."

Jeanette didn't have a phone. I looked closer, and saw it was a timed message for me, typed into my phone several hours ago with an alarm set to it that had just gone off.

I looked back at her, and she smiled. How did she do that? She had even done it before; how did she do it?

Dad drove a bit slower than the limit, and people began to pass us. He didn't mind... but when he started to sing along to whatever the song was, I began to.

"Dad!"

He gave me the look again, and sang louder. I couldn't even talk to my friends with the wind and the other noise. It was a relief when we turned off to the road out of town and Dad had to shut up and focus.

Still, people were passing us. Some even honked. Couldn't they see we were loaded? What was the hurry? I swept my eyes over the back again; had something gone loose in the back? Did we have a flat tire?

Both Crash and Jeanette gave me a thumbs up. Sam did too, once she noticed.

"Dad, what's going on? Why all the honking?"

"Oh, just impatient people," he replied. "Nothing to worry about."

Weird. I had the feeling that there was something no one was telling me.

Dad was surprisingly gentle on the road, even after we turned off again onto the gravel road to get to the field. We still hit some bumps, but every time I looked back, I got a thumbs up from someone.

They had stopped talking among themselves though, they were taking what shelter they could from the gravel dust. That was bad - I should have thought about making masks for them, something to filter that crap out.

Dad rolled his window up. "So, what's the actual plan?"

"Just a simple manned test. I know Crash can pilot it, but he's not human. I want to make sure a human can make the adjustments needed, either with or without assistance. So a simple trip up, a large circle, and then back down. I probably won't go higher than say, a mile."

"Simple," Dad repeated.

"Simple," I counter repeated.

"You've got a parachute?"

"I've got two," I told him. "Crash packed them, and the first one is automated to pull as soon as I pull the eject lever. The second will be attached to a cord on my right; I checked last night and I should be able to reach it with my left hand in a second or so, before I start heading down."

The eject mechanism blew the seat and started a process to open the first chute. If that chute didn't open, then I had a ripcord attached to both the first chute and my right chest that would start the second chute. If that didn't happen, well the chair itself would cushion me from some of the fall, and I'd probably live.

"Do you trust Crash to pack a chute?" Dad asked.

Right, Dad had some experience jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. "I do, its part of his job."

Crash probably loved me almost as much as Dad did.

"Alright," was all he said.

We turned off, and into a party. What were all these cars doing here? There were... eleven. There were even two trucks, and both had their tailgates down. I recognized one of them as one of our neighbors, the Hendricks. Mr and Mrs. Hendricks were young and had no kids, but they hung out with us a lot for backyard barbecues. The trend continued because they were grilling, it looked like. There were two fire engines just sitting there, too.

Dad pulled off well before we got there... next to his old beaten up lawn mower, a small tent, and Jeeves.

so Jeeves had taken the mower... and from the looks of things, he had mowed an extra wide strip of the long grass of the field right down to the dirt. Well, that should be enough to stop any fires caused by the jet engine.

Dad maneuvered the trailer in position in front of the new airstrip like a professional, then cut the engine. Everyone piled out.

Jeeves bowed and pointed in an underhanded manner to the tent as I got out. "Mistress Min, your suit and helmet are within this tent. Please change into them post-haste."

"I'll do it later. The trip over might have jarred things, so I'd rather check first. No sense changing if something is broke and we won't get off the ground."

"As always, your wisdom astonishes, Mistress Min." Jeeves said before straightening up.

"Right," Suck-up. "Can you help Crash and Jeanette get the jet off the trailer and ready?"

No one here was as strong as my robots. Without them we would probably need an engine and special tools to get it in place for take off. The straps came off with a nice musical 'clang' and my friends pulled them out of the way.

Crash and Jeeves grabbed the fuselage, Jeanette grabbed a wing... and Ralph grabbed the other wing with help from Ricky. Slowly they wheeled the jet into the grass and forward.

"A bit more. We don't want the truck in the blast zone."

The plane inched forward another fifteen feet. Those who had the wings stepped forward and I grabbed the power wrench. First I rescued the two R's - I had to help them hold it steady - then I bailed out Jeanette. By the time I was done, Crash had grabbed the diagnostic equipment.

I handed the tool off and let Crash hook the unit up, just double-checking the connections. He flipped the thing on, and the results posted to my phone immediately; all clear, everything was in the green.

I adjusted a few settings and ran it again. Again, it popped up all green. I shrugged and began to do the pre-flight check, with Crash dogging my steps.

"What are you doing now, Min?" Maggie asked, coming up. She was alone, which was a little weird. Where had everyone else gone?

"I'm doing the pre-flight check. Where did everyone else go?"

"Oh, they went to see if the tail-gater over there would share some brats or something. They are kind of spoiled after all, from all the after school snacks you normally offer."

"Wait, tail-gater? That's what is going on here? A tail gate party?"

Maggie shrugged. "Sure looks like it. It looks like your neighbors and a few other people knew more about what you were planning than you did - or learned very quickly."

So I had a leak somewhere, somehow. Not that it mattered, I didn't have anything to hide. Right? Why was anyone interested, anyway? It was just a flight test, those happened all the time.

"What about you?"

"Oh, I want to write the story for the school paper," Maggie answered. "Besides, Sam will pick me up something if she can. She always does. So, can you tell me how you're feeling right now?"

I answered honestly. "Confused, mostly. Why would anyone care about a simple flight test?"

Maggie clicked her tongue at me. "Oh Min Min Min, who wouldn't be interested? You're a teenager and you're you. There are rumors you've sold a patent already, and rumors that you're going to sell more. You're liked by pretty much everybody in town, and known by pretty much everybody in town, and you know how people in this town get when they like someone. It's probably the only reason you weren't arrested after last time."

It was true, everyone here was really supportive. Not at all like I'd heard people being in other parts of the world. I'd only heard a few slurs after all, and most of those from my peers... the few I'd heard from adults, well, they weren't that bad.

"Who told you about the patents?"

"Well you did. You and your bots... androids, whatever. But that's only two confirmed sources so until I get the copy of the patent I requested, it still counts as a rumor and therefore can't be published."

"How very ethical of you." I deadpanned.

She chose to be honest. "I take my journalism seriously."

"Hey."

Crash speaking up surprised me for some reason.

"What's up Crash?"

"What's that look like to you?" Crash said, and pointed.

One of the landing gear was flat, or going so.

"See if you can air it up. If it holds air, we will proceed. If not, we scrub."

Crash nodded and went to find the air pump we'd brought.

"Really? over a jumped up go-kart tire?" Maggie whispered in a voice louder than a shout.

"Yes, it will affect how much speed I'm able to get over take-off, and will most certainly pop if I land on it." I continued the check.

Maggie kept me company, even after Sam showed up and handed her a hot dog. She also winked at me with her mouth wrapped around her own.

I rolled my eyes. Let's see, back at the tail, jet looked fine... everything was good. I went back to Crash.

"How is it?"

He stood on the tire in response and gave me a thumbs up when it didn't so much as dip.

"Right, time to suit up, I guess."

The tent was hot, but the suit was open and laid out for me. All I had to do was shuck my clothes and roll over to get in. Zipping it up, I was immediately glad I hadn't went with a racing model; for all that they were better with heat, those things were skin tight on purpose, and I was shy. I heard engines from outside.

Pilot flight suits were nice and baggy, most of the time.

I stepped out, and into picture flashes. "Ack!"

Sam was there, a camera in hand and a grin on her face.

Maggie stepped up. "Don't worry Min, its just a few shots for the paper."

Wait, was that a video camera set up? What was Jeeves doing in front of that?

A closer look revealed it was Dad's home movie set up, on the old tripod no less. I found Dad in the small crowd and gave him my best 'Mom look'. He just smiled and shrugged at me.

Crash stepped up. "Final checks are all green. We can go any time."

One of the fire engines was closer now, in range to hose us all down and with some hoses out. The truck and trailer were now across the street.

"Help me inside."

Someone started cheers, and everyone picked them up. "Whoo, go Min!"

"Good luck Min!"

"Take me a picture of us from up there!"

That was a good idea, actually.

"Don't worry, it'll work fine!"

Okay, inside, helmet on, the noise cut off. I waved back at me supporters, weird as they were, and Crash closed the cockpit.

"Radio check. one, two, three...."

"Loud and clear," Jeanette told me.

I didn't have rear view mirrors on this thing. That was possibly an oversight.

"Get everyone clear. At least twenty feet back, preferably fifty. Main engine start in one minute."

I waited. Crash came on the radio at exactly thirty seconds into my count. "All clear boss. Repeat, you are clear to go for ignition."

I maintained the count, and pushed the start button right on time. Being right on time was important.

The engine fired right up and the vehicle began to shudder. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Confirming main engine start, power green."

"Confirmed." Crash told me.

I knew it would work now. "Throttle back."

The display panel switched to a wireframe view ahead of me, complete with numbers; the speed and angle I'd need in order to successfully take off, as calculated by the smart system installed and the cameras placed ahead that were scanning the terrain. The surprisingly flat terrain that had scarcely a bump.

"Confirmed, throttle back."

I hit the air right on target, wobbling a little before my lessons kicked in. The trees at the end of the field passed underneath me.

I was up. Finally, I was up. I angled the stick down and started a gentle climb.

"Boss, confirm all green, over?"

"All green confirmed. This view is... "

There was nothing above me but clouds. I started a gentle turn, and the display changed again, reminding me that I had a flight plan filed with the FAA.

"Yeah I know boss. Why don't you chase that cloud over there? The small one, next to that fat one. South-Southeast."

I looked. That was indeed a cloud there. "Sounds like a plan."

"Be sure to take pictures!" Maggie yelled, more than loud enough for me to hear her from here normally.

I checked. Both video and stills were being taken. At that rate the hard drive would be filled in minutes, but it was the best I could do.

The power supply was in the green. I poured on the power and began to really climb, aiming for that puffy little cloud. The usage meter grew a bit, but it never hit over forty percent, even at close to mach one, with the jet loudly rattling around me and the G's pressing me into the seat. Was my vision tunneling? I was told to watch for that.

I eased off. The maximum rated speed was mach one point five or so, but we'd already tested that and the rattling was a little scary.

I made it to the cloud. I was in a cloud! Radar showed nothing up here with me. Some moisture began to collect into tiny droplets on the cockpit glass, only to streak away.

I was in a cloud! I didn't even have a pilot's license, and I was flying!

As soon as I was out, I turned to the sun; instantly my helmet darkened to protect my vision. But it was there, and it was so much closer. Almost in reach.

I banked down, just before I got the warning from my system. It wouldn't do to fly too high now, no matter how tempting it was.

Instead, I did a fly-by of the field, then another to double check the runway. I'd be coming in from over the trees and towards where everyone is, so I would need to hit the button right there, and let the automated system do the work. That was the last test, and the one Crash hadn't been able to do because it hadn't been ready yet.

But it was reading green, and I really wanted to try it.

A pass over the junkyard, revealing all that wonderful unused metal just rusting in the open air, the a buzz over the tailgators to what I hoped was their delight, and my timer beeped.

I didn't want to land, but it was time.

I lined up and hit the button.

The power use spiked immediately as the secondary jets came on; the main engine cut out, and the booms lowered and locked in place. The sudden lack of momentum slammed me forward but my harness stopped me shy of slamming into the cockpit; the extra padding Crash had suggested worked; my shoulders stayed attached.

I grabbed the sticks inset on the sides of the chair, and the arms moved accordingly, The plane landed with a thud, and the pedals became free to use again. I pulled one up, and like a bikes, set it down.

"Boss, all green?" Crash asked.

The new leg on the vehicle matched me perfectly, the kinetic translation software doing its job. The arm raised at my beck and formed a thumbs up that I hoped would be visible to everyone as I carefully moved the next foot.

Still, I should answer. "All green, Crash. I'll be there in a minute."

Without the chip and software, this would be impossible, but as long as my movements were translated and as long as the chip maintained the balance of the thing, it would walk. Even now it was a little more forward than I'd expected it to be.

The power supply was nearing the red line, at eighty percent. It was also nearing the heat red line, and that was climbing. Could the jets in the 'feet' be causing a backflow, even shut off?

I sped up a bit, and soon learned the limits. This thing would never be able to run. It would probably be able to jump, but I needed better heat management for that.

The wide eyes and landed fish impressions were worth it all, though. I was definitely recording those.

The heat was at ninety percent by the time I shut the system down and the vehicle became a plane again.

Crash popped the cockpit, his grin leading the way as he grabbed me gently, picked me up, and plunked me down on the grass. "Congratulations, boss! Looks like it works great! I can't wait to get a shot at it myself!"

Dad was next, all but slamming into me. Despite that and the massive hug, his words were dry. "So, you made a transformer."

"Technically I wanted to test construction robot ideas along with my jet ideas." It wasn't even a lie, no matter how silly it sounded. A vehicle much like this would be needed for the next phase of what I wanted to do.

"Well, I'd say it worked." Dad replied.

Before I could correct him I was swamped. "Goodjob Min!"

"Way to go Min!"

"I knew you could do it Min!"

So, this was what group hugs felt like. It was kind of awkward, and my ribs were beginning to creak.

Ricky asked what I knew everyone was thinking. "So, when do I get to go up?"

Luckily I had an answer. "When you get a pilot's license and you learn to fly the thing."

Sam pouted. "You don't."

"Not a full one, no, but I do have a provisional license and an accredited instructor here. It might be a little shady, but its legal. Especially with a parent granting permission."

"Wouldn't have denied it for the world," Dad admitted. "I'd rather you do things like this in front of me than behind my back."

Well he wasn't wrong there, not that I'd admit it.

"Alright, we need to let the bird cool off some before we can load it," Crash said. "Let's go join your neighbors, shall we?"

I looked and the crowd over there was walking to meet us. That seemed like a great idea to me.

Still, I held onto Dad's arm as everyone else started off, and pulled him low.

"Dad?"

"Yeah?"

How could I tell him how much this meant to me? "Thanks for this... I needed it.

He smiled. "Any time. Now let's go before your friends notice you doing something this uncool."

I punched his arm as we started off.

"We probably shouldn't stay long. Ian should be back from practice now, and dinner is going to be late as is."

Ian had taken up football, and was working hard at it, which was a little weird.

"True. Might be a pizza night," Dad muttered. "Mom will be late, she's working late tonight."

"So that means Ian is alone!" That was no good. Anything could happen if Ian was alone.

"Right. But he can handle it, he's old enough."

That wasn't really my worry, but I didn't dare tell Dad. Too many people knew about me, and knew about this test.

As soon as I reached the group, I was handed a plate filled with brats and beans. "Nice flying, little lady! I like that little plane of yours."

"Thank you, Mr. Hendricks. Hello Mrs. Hendricks."

"Hello Min, it was great seeing what you could do. I'm looking forward to anything else you make."

This was just weird, really. Why the big production?

We made our rounds while I ate (I certainly wasn't going to waste it) and tried to keep a handle on my stupid brain. It wanted me to make notes on the flaws I noticed, as soon as possible. I wasn't about to let it have it's way, at least not yet.

"Crash, Jeeves, could you load us back up?"

"Certainly mistress Min."

"Right away boss."

"Thank you. As soon as you're done Jeeves, head out. You need to get the mower back as soon as possible."

Jeeves probably wouldn't be back until after dark, but he would be fine.

"As you command, Mistress."

I finished up and we started making our good-byes. Luckily my friends were just as ready to go as I was.

Everything was set, and Crash was waiting in the truck. Sam and Ricky both managed to get ahead of me and block the way into the back, so I made a show of checking the wings and straps again; everything was secure.

Stymied, I got into the front again. Dad started the engine up and pulled out, but kept the radio off - something I was thankful for. Looking back, we were at the start of a convoy, as the tailgaters followed our lead. I used the time to make notes on my phone regarding heat distribution.

Why were the cops at the turn off? There were two cars; I recognized officer Mofit and waved to him, and he waved back. And there, behind officer mofit, was agent Leonard Sands of the MCO. Had he been stopped here? He waved to me, and I waved back.

We made it home without incident, and Dad shut down the truck in the driveway, without going into the back. Ian was there.

He flew out of the house as we pulled up, and he was PISSED.

He wasted no time jumping in my face. "You! How dare you go off and test the jet without me! You know I wanted to be there!"

I pointed to the sky, and the sun that had just set. "There was no time. You were at practice, and I couldn't fly at night. Is it really that big of a deal? We will fly it again."

Ian stopped in his tracks for a moment, then came to himself as Sam bumped shoulders with him.

"No, I guess it isn't that big a deal," he said finally with a sigh that the Hendricks, who were just now pulling in, could no doubt hear.

"Don't worry," Ricky told him. "You still get to be here for the best part."

Ian's face turned ugly for a moment before he smoothed it out with effort. "Oh yeah? And what might that be?"

The answer caught us all flat-footed. "The after party, of course."

This was it. This was what all those secretive smiles had been about. There was some plot afoot here.

"Crash, Jeeves, Jeanette. You three think you can carry the jet to the lab?"

"Of course," they all three agreed, and started undoing the straps without further comment.

"I'm going to open up the lab Dad. You're welcome to come if you want, but I can't promise you'll have any fun there."

There was panic on more than a few faces at the suggestion my Dad join us. Even Sam showed some, which was odd.

"Nah, think I'll just order the pizzas and watch the game. You're all welcome to stay until ten, it being a school night. However if Min is having trouble staying awake, she will come inside to sleep.

And he gave me the look again.

"I will, I will. I promise."

"Good, you better." He demanded, then walked off.

Relieved I put my eye to the scanner and used the key. The lab's door opened, and I wasted no time grabbing the main door and opening that.

Ricky looked around, suspiciously. then he produced... was that wine?

I adjusted my glasses. No, it was Dom Perignon champagne. "So this was what you guys were hiding."

"What celebration would be complete without champagne? We all chipped in and bribed a guy to get it for us, as sort of a celebration of how things are working out for you."

I folded my arms. "You know I'm still not just making you guys androids."

Sam shrugged, but Ricky looked a little down at that.

Ralph however spoke up: "Not why we're doing it, little miss millionaire."

Oh, right. The rumor that they knew was truth. "My bad then."

Ricky broke out the glasses, then got overruled as my androids came in. Jeanette let go of her part of the jet, and the other two carrying it groaned theatrically. "No."

"No what? We're drinking this and that is final!"

"You are not drinking fine champagne in solo cups. Wait but a moment." Jeanette replied and turned on her heel, almost running back to the house.

crash and Jeeves shared a look. No, not a look; the look. But they both set the jet down gently.

The front tire of the jet popped with a sound like a balloon, only far worse.

I couldn't help but laugh. Even after all those safety checks...!

Jeanette came back with wine glasses on a platter she got from somewhere; I didn't recognize them. These were long and fluted, and my Mom's set was short and dumpy looking.

She also took the champagne bottle and opened it with a cork from her pocket. Her movements were precise and careful, which meant the liquid didn't spill.

She poured for us, and the party began.

.......

He heard the spike in laughter and shouts from inside the house; there wouldn't be any noise complaints; not today. The danger had been averted for now, and his daughter would never know.

He went upstairs and place his two holdouts in their case, both .25s fitting neatly in the felt. With hollow points, even a .25 could be dangerous at close range, and combined with the rifle work of the Hendricks family, the practiced violence of the others, it would have been enough no matter who the MCO had put up to visiting.

That visit hadn't happened of course, but some people had tried. The word was finally out.

Silent as a ghost, he flitted back downstairs to wait for the pizza, and to mark the video so that his loving wife could see it. Next time it would be her turn to watch over their new girl, and his to work overtime as a favor to those who would help protect her. He waved to the sentries he knew were out there in the burgeoning night, not envying them for a moment. He received the all clear in response.

Heading to the kitchen, he grabbed himself a beer. Being a parent thirsty work, and he wouldn't always have time like this.

He took a drink as the dark settled in. Took another when his daughter came in, loudly protesting some act by Ian, Jeanette's shoes sounding on the floor behind the pair. They went upstairs without seeing him, clearly happy despite the childlike arguing. After a few minutes, Jeanette came downstairs, nodded to him, and began cleaning.

He took another drink when he heard the key in the lock and sat back, easing a hand around one of the holdouts they had placed as a couple around the house.

"Evening." She said, taking in the scene. The darkness didn't matter to her.

"Evening." He replied, and took another drink, his hand well in sight.

"So it was today, was it?"

"Yep, you called it."

"How did it go?"

He pointed toward the tape. "Got the whole thing, except when she poured on the speed a few times."

She pushed the tape in and watched as the day unfolded. Some time after it stopped and they were in darkness again, she sighed.

"It was all worth it."

He nodded and finished the beer in one smooth motion.

up
236 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like how all the neighbors

I like how all the neighbors and friends have Min's back even though she doesn't know it.

Guest Reader...

Min's hometown may not be as normal as she thinks it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

forgetable

First, I would like to say how wonderful it is when another of these stories is posted,.

Second, while forgetable isn't a word, forgettable is, which is a good thing, as my whole life is built around the unfortunate fact that for me, EVERYTHING is forgettable, and I do forget everything and anything on an all too regular basis.

Court:

Well, if I misspelled "forgettable" I hope you'll forget that I did it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

You impied

their was some sort of danger averted. A cliff hanger?

Wendy Jean...

I do intend to further explore that part of the tale. It might be next chapter, it might be the chapter after.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Yay! More Min

It may have been a while but still very welcome.

When Min started designing "the next stage" I immediately thought of Buzz Lightyear. The vertical thrusters only add to that impression.

The little aside at the end shows that the whole town is protecting her, even though she has a Brain the Size of a Planet. It is amazing what really intelligent people can miss when they are deep in their own universe.

Penny

Penny lane...

Not buzz lightyear... its more like a mechanical assist suit or full body armor look - with a wing and jets connected to the back. Buzz lightyear's set up wouldn't really work. I'll see if I cant make and submit a sketch if you're really interested.

As for missing the forest for the trees... Min's painfully innocent in some ways. She just doesn't have that jaded edge, for all her supposed paranoia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Ah, lovely

Podracer's picture

Min and Min-ions are with us again, and that jet is finally flown. Jeanette's apparent psychic abilities make her even more scary, though she seems to me to be getting more even tempered?
Good ol' Dad and Mom aren't quite as expected either, what with allowing the flight and the stealthy protections as well. What was "worth it"?

"Reach for the sun."

Radio Flyer

This story reminds me of a more complex version of Radio Flyer without the child abuse line. Love it! Keep it coming when you can. BTW, what's up with Ricky?

Ellie

Ellie....

I don't think I've ever read that one... if I do, I don't remember.

Also, for Ricky you'll have to be more specific; there are many things wrong with him and I'm not sure which you're referring to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

How I spent my teen years

For some, the answer will be: reading this story.

While I admire your perseverance, 22 chapters in 7 years makes for a lot of waiting from readers eager to know what will happen next.

Hugs,

Kimby

Kimby:

How true you are there. I wish I could be a bit faster on these updates, but if I don't revolve my chapters/stories around, I would rapidly burn out and be unable to complete anything. It is unfortunate, but its the best way for me to work.

Can I interest you in any of the other half-finished stories I've created? Some of them are just as long, and I think I can ensure the quality. At least, few have complained so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij