A personal history of Mutation, or how I spent my teen years. Chapter 28.

Printer-friendly version

Bored bored bored. I was so bored by the end of yesterday I'd done Ian's homework just to pass the time. Of course, I wasn't a cheater, so I did it alongside him and then didn't share any of the answers, but it was the thought that counted... or something like that.

So bored I woke up this morning and was still bored. Jeanette was at the side of my bed with a glass of water and coffee, but no food.

I crooked an eyebrow at her, and she answered it: "You have been eating upstairs often of late. I am sure your family would appreciate seeing you at the table for breakfast."

That was an excellent and hard to argue with point. Just the sort of thing that might get me in trouble with the parents, if I was being honest with myself.

"Alright. A shower first though, of course." Even if I didn't feel dirty, it was best to make sure. The last thing I needed to do was stink, after all; my social life would never recover. Not that it was all that healthy since my change, but the number of threats in my locker would likely double if I smelled bad.

All but my hair was finished in record time, and I considered cutting it again. Surely it didn't have that big an effect on my head staying non-combustible, right?

Jeanette stayed silent, but I could feel her gaze evaluating me. The chances were good I'd only see butter knives in my immediate future. Best not to keep thinking about it, before all the scissors in the house vanished.

Even if I could just go to the nearest store and buy a pair now. I had what every kid dreams of... unlimited plastic, or near enough. I still hadn't taken any advantage of that... my home town was too small to get its own big box store of any kind. The nearest place that did was a college town that had everything... including massive crime.

We needed cars, my friends and I. That and licenses. It was just unlikely I could convince my parents to give me a ride into the place they considered the next worse thing to Detroit after all that had happened recently. To be fair, I probably didn't deserve one with how I'd been acting, but a car and license would solve the problem nicely.

The kitchen table was set with an actual feast, and Jeeves was standing by, his normally unstained apron actually having a few for once. Breakfast bowls, berries and other fruit, cereals, some vegetables even. Everything was disgustingly healthy and absolutely delicious looking. There was a bowl filled with brown rice that had an egg on top that was calling my name from here....

I snagged it and sat down in a hurry, to wait. No one else seemed to be up yet - even though it was the proper time for it. I hadn't even passed Ian on my way out of the bathroom, come to think of it. the house was quiet; where was everyone?

The door to the garage opened, of all places, and Ian came through. "Oh good, you're up. I don't have to go get you."

"What are you doing in there?" It wasn't like Ian to go looking at our cars. He didn't care about any of that.

"Dad wanted my help reorganizing, of all things."

As Ian cleared the door, Mom came in right behind him. She took in the feat before us with a raised eyebrow. "Well now I know why Jeeves refused helping us."

Dad came in next: "Holy crap, what a spread! You've outdone yourself, tin man."

Jeeves took the comradely slap on the back with poise, and simply returned a "thank you."

I smelled a rat here. No one reorganized the garage before seven am, unless they were on drugs or something. However, my family didn't seem to be willing to tell me anything, so I let it go. I'd find out what was going on soon enough. After all, I had friendly eyes everywhere.

Well, not everywhere, but at least a few extra in this house. There was security, complete with cameras, even in the garage. It was under the control of my parents, of course, but I was still tapped into the system to maintain it, and I could use that.

"That looks good, sis." Ian commented, his hungry eyes cast to my bowl.

I hunched over it. "Get your own. Eat some of your cereal or something."

Ian smirked at me. Smirked! "Think I'll eat this instead," he replied, grabbing a plate of french toast. Very unhealthy looking french toast that I hadn't seen on the table when I came in.

Wow, and here I thought I could trust Jeeves, the lousy traitor.

Mom had a plate of something I'd passed up. it was also rice and eggs, but had something different mixed in it... it looked almost like pureed strawberries or something.

Dad had a bowl of cereal. Boring old raisin bran, and some toast.

Jeeves set a glass down. A glass filled with blue; a smoothie? He really had outdone himself, he had made smoothies for all of us as well.

It was good, same as always. Was that avocado? I only knew about avocado because of Jeeves's insistence in adding it to everything I ate. Not that I was complaining.

Holy crap, this was good. Mom's eyes were upon me though, so I kept things slow and made sure my manners were at least as good as hers.

To either side of me, the ravenous wolves were chomping away. Mom didn't say a word to either, instead keeping her entire focus on me like a laser.

Hmm, that reminded me. I needed some helium and neon, so I could make a good laser focusing aperture. Everyone should have a good laser, for... stuff. So many uses, really.

"Honey, you've stopped eating."

Right, whoops. Still a work in progress. "Sorry, got lost in thought."

"No need to apologize," Mom answered. "Just reminding you. You'll get hungry later otherwise."

She truly didn't seem to be angry, just mindful. Then again, she knew devisors, and had devisor friends. So this was something she had to be used to. But still, she had to mom.

I continued eating, but there was no way I was going to catch up to the two bottomless stomachs in our house.

Still, I had to hurry up just to get done on time. There was no talk of staying home from school today. Not that I would have anyway. As boring as school was, it was less so than the alternative, and I wanted to graduate.

I managed to get the bowl clean before the first knock on our door. I had to chug the smoothie though, and turned out to be a bad idea. I managed to keep everything down though, even through the almost brain freeze, and Jeeves opened the door to reveal Maggie on the other side.

"Morning Jeeves! Morning Campbell Clan! How is everyone this wonderful day?"

There should be a law or something. She hadn't had any coffee, for sure, and so she shouldn't be this chipper. Whatever. "Morning Maggie."

Jeeves moved back and Maggie took the invitation, allowing Sam inside. Sam of course, being Sam, waved.

Ian waved back. Adorable, in a way. Not that I'd ever admit that out loud.

I was tempted to say something, but I resisted. "How late are we?"

"We've got ten minutes." Maggie replied, showing off her watch even though there was no way I could see it from this distance. Who even uses a watch anyway in this day and age?

Weird people, that's who. "Alright, let me just grab my bag."

I could cheat a bit. I didn't need to brush my teeth due to being a regenerator. At least that is what my androids told me when I asked. I still needed to brush my teeth to remove gunk, and I had a brush in my bag for that purpose, but gingivitis held no fear for me.

My bag was waiting for me by the door, already packed. I really was spoiled.

I almost pulled my arm out lifting the thing. A book bag which wasn't even as stuffed to the gills as my old one routinely was. Certainly not stuffed until the seams gave, like I used to do.

"Breathe, Mistress."

I looked into concerned faces while my android maid took the bag from me easily, settling it over her shoulder with one hand as if it were no trouble at all. "I'm fine. Sorry, let's get out of here. Later Mom, Dad! See you tonight!"

Well close enough to night anyway. Ian I'd see before then, because he was already finishing up himself and planning to follow us.

My friends headed back out the door, and I joined them. Before we hit the main walk, both were bracketing me, one to either side. Jeeves came around the front with long strides, and Jeanette was following behind as was her usual.

It all seemed very subconscious, but I felt very protected. Even if it was an illusion - or was it?

The morning was sunny, but cold. The angle of the Sun in relation to the Earth was attenuating, and I'd need to add a liner to my coat soon. I wasn't going to put on one of those stupid blown up coats with more crap in them than the average ten pillows.

Before, I'd just sucked it up and walked to school in my football jacket.

Maggie wasn't wearing a coat at all. Sam had on a thin sweater. They both had on jeans at least; I bet Holly showed up wearing shorts still. Not that the look didn't work for her, but it must be cold, doing that.

My two shadows were here, one in a doorway, and one in his beat up old car. Agent Sands was still making no secret of anything, but this time the cop car nearby was an unwelcome surprise.

What was the Sheriff thinking I'd do? fly my jet to school? I wasn't breaking the law again. Well, at least not like that. Given how things were going, I was probably breaking at least one law right now somehow.

What was Ricky doing coming this way? He was late. So was Ralph.

"Good morning Min, Sam, Maggie, Ian. Your Mom wouldn't let me in yesterday; feeling better?"

"I'm fine," I replied. "A Flu or cold, something quick. I was fine yesterday, but Mom wanted me to stay home to avoid spreading it."

"Good," Ralph opined with relief. "The last thing we all need is a flu bug going around. I got the flu twice last year, and both times it knocked me on my ass."

I remembered last year, the flu had been pretty bad. I'd only gotten sick once, but it had been... about as bad as the day before, come to think of it. "Yeah, I wouldn't want to spread what I had yesterday either, really. It should be fine now though."

"Good deal," Ralph muttered. "We might need to run a bit though, we're going to be late."

"We will have 17 seconds left to enter the front doors before the first bell at this pace," Jeeves stated.

That was plenty of time! At least half of my friends seemed to agree with me, from the decided lack of jogging. I couldn't blame them, I didn't want to jog either, anymore. It was more than a little annoying.

Maintaining a steady pace was hard, but we managed it. The bell didn't ring until after we were inside and already splitting up to go to class. "See you all later!"

Ricky and Ralph both followed me of course, but I wasn't going to say 'later everyone but you two', that would just be awkward. Mr. Welch had a handout for me, yesterday's homework. I'd have a few days to get it done of course, but I'd probably need less than an hour.

My silly hot brain was good for more than one thing, and not just making jets.

I wasn't lost of course, the loss of two days wasn't enough to throw me in this class. I was dreading English of course, but the other classes wouldn't be an issue. I'd be caught up by the end of Gym, probably.

I could see Ricky's puppy dog eyes from here, he no doubt wanted some help with something here. I'd do that of course, but no reason not to let him sweat a little first.

Ralph seemed to be doing fine, but I was sure he'd have questions as well. Everyone had questions for me recently. My study halls were filled with people asking me random questions about their homework, even from people in other classes who I barely knew.

It would be more fun to answer if the questions were at least challenging, but they all turned out to be just as boring as my own stuff.

Maybe I should invest in a whiteboard, and solve some of the math problems troubling humankind in my off time? Was that too arrogant? Some people had been trying to solve some equations for decades, would they get mad? Could I even manage that? Could my power work that way?

I would leave a lasting mark on human society if so. Maybe it would be worth all the notoriety that would follow.

One thing was for sure - I'd need a college education to be taken seriously by society, no matter what arithmetic I solved... and for that I needed high school. No matter how boring it was.

It was still less boring than staying at home more or less alone for forty-eight hours, but not by much. I needed to buy some collegiate level textbooks and try those out. Another thing I could afford to do now, and bookstores did exist.

Maybe I could get deliveries? We weren't in a city or anything, but deliveries had been getting better recently - or so Sam told me when she brought new stuff to school.

Then Maggie would scold Sam over shopping days, when neither had a car or license. Maggie's parents must be pushovers or something. Though, we hadn't had an outing ourselves in months, and we used to get out a bit more. Perhaps I should bring that up - I mean even Jeeves was handling the shopping, when Mom used to do it with help from us.

The bell rang. Crap, I'd been lost in thought again. At least they were thoughts I remembered, and furthermore I had the homework for tomorrow done already. Success! Well, I'd take it anyway.

Jeanette was there as I pulled myself upright, putting all my stuff back in my bag. She slung it again then waited; luckily everyone behind us had taken advantage of the bell and ran for the door.

Jeanette was at least considering how to handle that situation, unlike before. There were a few times when people had to escape around her, and she was none the wiser. Well, either that or she didn't care; I wasn't about to ask, really.

In some cases, the less I knew, the more beneficial for my sanity.

Algebra was even easier than physics was, being pure equations with no story or bullcrap involved. I got the homework done before the lecture was half done, and before Mr. Mullins had actually given us the assignment.

It was clear by the lecture what assignment in the book he was aiming for, and it was easy enough to distract myself with while he was talking.

I was proven mostly right; he added a few extra problems from the next page, and those would be easy enough to do in study hall.

I had to fight in this class; arithmetic was growing on me. A wonderful language that was simple, elegant, and straightforward, and made sense no matter what language you actually spoke. One plus one was universal, after all.

Ricky had managed to get a look at what I was doing and figured out why; he'd already started his own homework. At least he wasn't copying everything from me. Not since the first time he'd tried that. After all, if he didn't do at least some of the work himself, he would be lost when the time came to take the tests.

Geography required some focus on the source material, some activation of memory. It wasn't as automatic feeling as the underpinnings of the universe were. Jeanette had my book, notebook, and pencils on my desk before I'd even sat down, retreating once more into the back. Neither the teachers nor my fellow students commented on her presence anymore. At least, not in my hearing.

They barely even talked to her anymore, for all that I got what felt like a dozen requests a day for me to make one for this or that classmate. Why would I risk everything making an android for people who didn't understand them?

I mean, not that I did completely, but I tried. Was that too much to ask?

Somehow Jeeves was more popular than Jeanette in that regard; which was another thing never to ask about for my own sanity.

The other cities the Seine river abutted wasn't something any of us really needed to know... probably. But the class seemed to go quickly as we all poured over the map.

Then it was gym time... or as I thought of it, first study hall. Jeanette sat down on the bleachers beside me, opening my bag and bringing out... my laptop?

"Our latest sibling wishes to see what happens here, when possible."

Who was I to say no to that? I opened my laptop with my biometrics and set up the camera, then set it facing the gym floor. Ralph sat down on my other side right as I was pulling out my overdue work.

He didn't ask why the laptop was the way it was. Everyone else started trickling out as I started in on some other math problems. What was the game on tap for today? Why, it was hockey of course. Hockey with a lightweight rubber puck and no padding at all, with the soccer nets set on either side of the floor in order to simulate goals.

Who thought of such a thing? Why a sadist, of course. lightweight or not, those pucks could hurt, and some people slapped them around with full force and no regard for safety.

The girls at least didn't try to commit manslaughter, but the teams were mixed, in an extra special act of sadism. The only saving grace was that I wasn't taking part; but everyone else was in the line of fire.

The laptop chimed. "Why are the children engaging in such activity?"

I typed back "Exercise is necessary for those of us made of flesh. It both strengthens us and adds function."

My new AI pondered that a moment, watching. Then typed a response: "Exercise is necessary for both continued health and well-being."

A trite answer probably dredged up from the internet somewhere. "Correct."

"Why do you not participate?" Ah. This question. No, she meant nothing by it, she was just curious, not jealous.

"It would do no good for me, I regenerate, and my body resets itself to how it was when I became as I am. I cannot gain muscle or dexterity from anything like this."

"Your brain can still release chemicals which affect your mental health however, can it not?"

I... yeah that was a good point. I had to admit it could. "Yes, however, the function of my body is often lackluster. It is seldom up to the tasks required of it by such activities."

My new AI started pondering that, and went silent.

I finished and glanced up. Flash was in the middle of powering a shot to the goal, and thankfully he missed everyone, because that one would have taken someone's head off. This time no one had to dive out of the way at least, so it was a win of sorts. Flash's team was apparently winning, judging from the dejection some people were wearing like a badge.

I could just watch the game now, the homework wasn't really an issue. I could also get up and move a bit. so long as no one watched, of course. I could sneak behind the bleachers, maybe, and no one would see me there.

No, they would still see enough to make fun of me if they wanted. Maybe just stretches? The basic calisthenics I knew weren't that hard, and everyone here did them at some point so they wouldn't be that embarrassing.

Coach glanced over as I got up. I walked over a bit, to the side of the bleachers where Id be at least partially masked, and began.

It was both easier, and a little harder than it should be.

I looked up after the round of ten jumping jacks to see everyone staring at me.

Everyone but Ricky, who bounced a puck off Flash's stomach with a grin. He winked at me before realizing what I was doing.

Really, it shouldn't be that surprising, should it? I've done some physical activity in gym since my genetics betrayed me, so what was so interesting now? I'd been afraid of this.

Hell with it, it was more awkward to stop now than to keep going. I started sit ups.

Ralph plunked down beside me, and started his own sit ups. The class slowly realized they were supposed to be doing something, and got back to it.

Sit ups really shouldn't be this hard. I mean, they weren't exactly hard, but they seemed to require more effort than I wanted. Which is why I didn't want to do anything, at least in part.

Whatever, I was going to finish this much at least.

Ralph showed off by doing the jumping jacks in between the time it took me to do the other exercises and switch.

Then he didn't say anything other than "A round of chess?"

Well, the laptop was in use, but Ralph did have a chess set he had carried to school a few times. "Sure, you got your set?"

"Of course. I assume your computer is doing something?"

It wasn't really a question, but it was phrased like one. I'd answer it like one, anyway.

We sat back down, and I had to admit I did feel a bit better. Better enough to help Ralph set the board up and let him take black. Ralph was smart, but he was posing less and less of a challenge as time went on. Not that I'd say such a thing to his face, but I think he knew. Still it was for the love of game, not for any wins.

I might have dragged the game out a bit, but I won eventually. Just a minute before the bell, and Ricky was none the wiser. I helped him pack up while Jeanette packed my stuff up. She saved the laptop for last, just as everyone else in class was filing back to hit the showers.

Wait, what was that? A whiff of something, something unpleasant, but... not?

I heard Jeanette stop behind me... but no, she was looking at me. So it was something after all, something I had smelled, even if only for a moment. "What was that?"

Jeanette turned back to stuffing the laptop in my bag. "I couldn't say, young Miss."

No, it wasn't 'couldn't'. She wasn't sure, but she had an idea - one she wouldn't share. The fact that she knew it all meant it was something biometric, maybe chemical? Unless she was using her own experience and intuition.

I knew my bots had both experience and intuition, even if I wasn't a hundred percent sure how they got the latter. It was weird, my androids were more than the sum of their parts. A coding thing, no doubt.

No, don't get distracted. I'd let Jeanette have her secret for now, since I really couldn't stop her. She would tell me later, because I wouldn't be letting it go; I really wanted to know how she knew whatever it was she knew.

There it was again! I turned, and didn't see anything unusual. Just the line of students marching into the locker rooms.

Whatever, it was a problem for future Min; current Min needed to get to the tree just outside of the school for Lunch.

Ralph peeled off to go to his locker; since I didn't need to drop books off anywhere and could cheat.

Jeeves was there, with his typical spread blanket and picnic basket. The smells wafting from the set up were of something cooked, so it wasn't going to be sandwiches again.

"Good afternoon, mistress Min, Jeanette." Jeeves bowed to us both in turn.

Jeeves bowing to Jeanette at all was weird, no matter how much more shallow it was. A show of respect. Not a nod of the head as he normally did, but a full bow.

Weird.

"Good afternoon Jeeves. What's for lunch?"

Jeeves leaned in, and his hand reached down to pull out... a taco? My classmates were going a bit nuts around us, almost as if they had never saw a taco before.

"Taco Tuesdays."

It wasn't Tuesday. "Fine, whatever. I won't turn down free tacos."

I managed to get settled before Jeanette mentioned the obvious. "They aren't free - you've paid for them."

"Yes I know Jeanette. That's the joke." Maybe it was me; maybe my sense of humor was just terrible.

"I apologize," Jeanette apologized.

That wasn't right either. "It's not your fault, it's mine. I have a terrible sense of humor, and not everything I say can be cool or amazing."

That was an epiphany in and of itself. A very deep realization I should not ever ever forget and should devote some time to pondering all the ramifications of.

So of course I decided to forget it promptly and only remember it on my deathbed or some similar time. Likely when I was a hundred and telling people my current age to get off my lawn.

For now, tacos. My friends joined me, and those who were not my friends yet still wanted to watch my androids be themselves stayed close yet far enough away we could talk freely. Jeeves had politely insisted on such, and so far everyone was being nice about it. I didn't understand the fascination, honestly - I mean it was all months old by now, so surely it was no longer the new thing?

Apparently it was still the new thing.

There were enough tacos for all, and enough salad for those few of us who would eat such. I knew I'd be eating the salad one way or the other, so I just bit that bullet from the start.

The tacos were spicy but not hot somehow, with whatever nonsense Jeeves had added adding a certain zing. None of us were doing much talking, and Jeeves was working double time, serving us as his hard work disappeared at record speed.

The day felt like it should be over already. Not just close, but over.

I wanted to do science already - but I always wanted that. Things were so much neater in the lab. Clean and simple, without all the myriad complexities of life with people. I shouldn't think that way, I really needed to get along with others, but sometimes I couldn't help it.

Something to ponder over tacos.

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yeah, adding people always…….

D. Eden's picture

Gums up the works. Science is much more clean and simple.

But alas, life requires interaction. No matter how much she wants to be alone (shades of Garbo), her friends won’t let her.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Vegetables for breakfast?

I did not realize this was a fantasy story!

:)

Penny

Penny Lane:

It absolutely is. Well, science fiction and fantasy mix. With maybe some dystopia mixed in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij